Day 57: Filming in Dubrovnik begins
By Hear Me Roar on in Filming.

Photo: DuList.hr

After months of preparation, the Croatian part of the shoot began yesterday in Dubrovnik. The media interest is running high, luckily enough for us fans, resulting in a number of reports from the set. The first scenes were shot on the city walls at the Minčeta tower, while the shooting is scheduled to continue in the Rector’s Palace (Knežev dvor) on Wednesday, and in the Street of St. Dominic just inside the walls around September 22. The production is supposed to stay in Dubrovnik and the area until mid-October.

Here are the main pieces of coverage:

• First off, a source in English, The Dubrovnik Timeswith a number of photos from the extras staging area.
  • The rest are in Croatian, Google Translate should come handy for all non-speakers. Another nice report with more photos can be found here, at DuList.hr.
  • TPortal.hr runs a gallery of photos with Iain Glen at the Minčeta tower.
  • Two additional short reports here and here.

Commenter Ivan Popić uploaded a piece run on the national TV evening news about the beginning of the shoot (embedded after the jump). Filmed just off the set at the tower, it includes interviews with producer Frank Doelger and actors Dominic Carter (Janos Slynth), credited erroneously as Jonathan Cohen, and Andrew Wilde (Tobho Mott). A short summary/translation to English:

They are saying filming was done on top of Minčeta fortress and they are interviewing executive co-producer Frank Doelger who said they chose Dubrovnik for King’s Landing after checking out locations in Spain, France, Italy, Malta and Morocco.
They are also interviewing Dominic Carter (which is falsely credited as Jonatan Cohen) who explains he is the leader of the city police called Golden Cloaks and that they were filming a chase scene around town.
After him Endrew Wild says the make-up he is wearing shows how badly they tortured him to get information.
In the end they are interviewing a Croatian singer Giuliano who is an extra. He says he is a great fan of the show and that they were running up and down the stairs all day.
It is mentioned filming would last 4 weeks and it will be done in Dubrovnik and on the island Lokrum.

As we can gather from these reports and our sources on site, scenes where the Gold Cloaks are looking for Gendry were being filmed, something we don’t get to witness directly in the books.

Hear Me Roar: Iain Glenn is also in Dubrovnik. Nice, the city seems to already be doubling as King’s Landing and Qarth at the same time. Exciting days ahead. Despite my initial doubts, I think we will have quite a good rough idea what they are going to shoot in Croatia, unless they up the security severely (which is next to impossible in a touristy city like that). Now if only we could get some spies in Iceland as well … Winter is coming!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

This post has been delayed a little bit, but for a good reason – letting the readers celebrate the Emmys :)

2. Sid
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Nice!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink

I’m liking the switch from Malta to Croatia already! The Croatian press is all over this production. The only coverage the show got in the Maltese press was when they screwed up that beach clean-up.

Hopefully they can snag some photos of some of the new folks in costume, Xaro or Pyat or Hallyne or Pod. But I liked seeing Iain Glen back in costume! Allowed me to mentally switch gears from ADWD’s big, burly, hairy Jorah to Glen’s svelte, smooth, classy Jorah.

4. dizzy_34
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I like the show Jorah better too.

5. Chris77
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

A Bear, a bear all covered in Hair…

Dubrovnik fits my mental image of Kings Landing much better than Malta. Malta was good as Penthos and maybe they will revisit in coming seasons as Mereen or Astapor (though I think that an Afican or Asian city would fit better).

6. Valon Jakupi
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I actually think that the show Jorah and the book Jorah are both alike in everything but appearance.

7. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I’m a bit surprised how much press coverage the filming is getting. Getting a popular singer as an extra helps with getting the press interested :D

New bit of news I found today – on Wednesday the filming will take place in Rector’s Palace. We could get some scenography shots tomorrow as the Rector’s Palace will still be open as usual but there will be preparations going on in the atrium.

source

They also have a real dungeon in Rector’s Palace so they can use that as well in filming for some extra realistic shots.
    One of the cells is called Dragon’s cell due to the a dragon which some occupant inscribed in the wall.

8. Astalnar
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I’ll add one thing Ivan seems to have missed.

The reporter says they are already planing to continue the series (in context of next season) and that they are hoping they will come back next year. And Dubrovnik is already chosen as King’s Landing, capital of Westeros.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Hvala, Ivane. Updated the post.

10. dizzy_34
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

Wow, those are great! I’m loving Croatia as Kings Landing / Qarth so far.

11. Pepi
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Rofl! I’d never thought I’d be so happy to see Janos Slynt and Tobho Mott… you know, after recasting Gregor and all… :D

12. The Rabbit
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

Sorry, but I can not resist :D :D :D

13. PretendImNotHere
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Pepi,

Im still w8ing call and hope that will be soon;)
    For now i know that i was chose for scene when Tyrion coming in town with hills tribe.
    My favorite character hihi and me XD

14. AC
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

15. Dario Pavlovic
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Giuliano is famous Croatian pop singer, here, by his confession, big fan of G.G. Martin works.

16. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

AC: Can anyone please let me know why some of the photos has been on the Giuliano-guy? Is he famous or anything?

Yeah he is is quite famous , he is a pop-rock singer

17. Felagund
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

AC,

Local hero ;)

18. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

On a side note I’d like to add that next month Dubrovnik will mark 20 years since the siege of Dubrovnik began, may it never happen again.

19. Thiago Slash
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

awesome news, this weekend!
    Kudos for Dinklage winning the Emmy. absolutely well deserved!

and nice to see people in costume again! I hope the press an get us some major characters pics! haha

20. PretendImNotHere
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Felagund,

yep,now giuliano have my respect and show us what is mean to be fan-freak

21. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    Ivan Popić,

Sorry, but I can not resist :D :D :D

I like this one much better. He has a good voice, you can’t deny that. :)

22. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P:

Thankfully the city wasn’t conquered during the Homeland War or else the casualties and damage would be much bigger.

23. userj
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink
  24. BrosBeforeSnows
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Does anyone remember when the Sparrows first show up in King’s Landing? It’s not in Clash, is it? I’m think more along the lines of ASoS, or even AFfC. Just wondering, because it looks like some of those extras could pass for Sparrows. Probably just peasants though.

25. The Rabbit
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

Me too.
    But I did not want to post it in here, because someone could mixed him up with Ban ;)

btw, saw Giuliano performing live during Jesus Christ Superstar show some years ago, he was quite good.

26. userj
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Valon Jakupi,

They took out some of his more condescending dialogue. Like he refers to Dany as “you little fool” and “foolish child” more than a few times in the books. And he seems slightly less callous about violence and suffering than in the books. It’s the same pattern with e.g. Catelyn, they got rid of the rougher edges.

Still you are right it’s a fairly close portrayal other than, well, the obvious physical differences. At least he’s still more than twice Dany’s age and balding, and while blonde he’s not hairless or anything. Not that I’ve been paying close attention or anything. *whistling innocently*

27. Idaan
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

28. Mormegil
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Idaan: I wonder who the wounded guy at 1:01 in the video is. His clothes are distinct from the golden cloak uniform, and he’s English, so he’s bound to have some speaking parts.

Andrew Wilde who plays Tobho Mott.

29. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Idaan,

It’s the guy playing Tobho Mott – the master smith who apprenticed Gendry (and apparently was “questioned” about him).

I love all the information we’re getting from Croatia!

30. The Rabbit
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

My little birds tweeted today some more info on Dubac set (The construction on the top of the hill).
    It seems they have constructed some sort of villa – although the person who saw it was not sure – because he could not come close to it – it seems that security guys finally started to work.
    From all I have saw and on that photo the day before – I am going to guess it is Vaes Tolorro.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink
  32. Martin Silenus
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Fucking Guliano…. and a goldiecloack at that. Must have called a few “cousins” to worm his way in. Hopefully he will be wearing a helmet in the scenes on the show so i wont recognize him.
    God, i hope he falls down the stairs and breaks his neck.

Well, im sure he is only the first of all the asslicker “celebrities” that will come sniffing around.

The articles dont say anything not already known, or interesting, except that Lena, Emily, and Michelle should be arriving too.

33. I.Sk.
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Looking for scouts in Iceland eh? I have my eyes and ears open. But I doubt they’ll start filming anytime soon, as it hasn’t really started snowing yet. I did hear a rumor that they wanted to be close to a glacier, which makes the eastern part of Iceland the most logical, and logistical choice, as access to glaciers is easiest in the east/southeast regions.

34. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

PretendImNotHere:
    Pepi,

Im still w8ing call and hope that will be soon;)
    My favorite character hihi and me XD

I’m so jealous of you. Enjoy it and come here to whisper us how it was :)

35. Two Feathers
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I.Sk.: I haven’t read the books yet, so I don’t have a clue as to what sort of landscape they might be looking for.

I.Sk.

Definately start reading the books right away my Norse friend. You won`t regret it. If you like The Sagas, ASOIAF is a saga of epic proportions.

36. Martin Silenus
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

Unfortunately the latest book is showing that it is a saga of epic first three books, decent fourth, horrible fifth and on its way to become one of the worst fantasy soap operas ever written.

37. Rheia Greyjoy
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Martin Silenus,

In your opinion, personally I disagree. ;)

On topic: Looking good! Interesting that we will see more of the Gold Cloaks tracking Gendry, nice lead in to Yoren’s band being pursued I guess and adds some extra tension to that plotline early on.

38. I.Sk.
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

It’s on my very long to-do list.

39. Two Feathers
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Martin Silenus:
    Two Feathers,

Unfortunately the latest book is showing that it is a saga of epic first three books, decent fourth,horrible fifth and on its way to become one of the worst fantasy soap operas ever written.

And still you post on this site……….why??

40. Abyss
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    Nostalgic video clip for the veterans of House Gatewatch.^^

And there is some new footage from the Emmys:
    Peter Drinklage Emmy Acceptance Speech Backstage
    Interviews with cast and crew (a bit spoilerish!)
    Short backstage interview with Peter Drinklage

41. Knurk
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

because there are still 2 books full of awesomeness to be filmed!

42. Abyss
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

the last link is broken – sorry… use this one

43. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Abyss: And there is some new footage from the Emmys:

I think Peter is terrified by fans… he make strange faces when he talks about fans… Must be terrible for him…poor guy, he must think we’re a bunch of lunatics.
    Are we?

44. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

andrea: he must think we’re a bunch of lunatics.
    Are we?

Do you really have to ask? ;)

45. Abyss
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink
  46. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

always! I think highly of myself (although I’m not sure that is well written…) ugh

47. BrosBeforeSnows
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Yeah, thanks. I thought it was later on. I was worried that if it was ASoS, they could be moving up story lines. It’s been a while since I last read Clash. I may need to reread it again just to jog my memory.

48. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

andrea,

My dear, it is together we make a mixed bag of nuts. Individually we are only sane and sound. You might want to keep an eye on that perfect English of yours though. ;)

49. Epic Wunderscheisse
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

BrosBeforeSnows,

I have to ask. “Bros Before Hos” I get that. But I almost started to wonder why “Snows”.

50. James
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Most of the fans he would have contact with are lunatics, here they are slightly more normal people!

51. andrea
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Epic Wunderscheisse: You might want to keep an eye on that perfect English of yours though. ;)

today is bad day for my pathetic english. Also for my spanish.
    Not the first time I get in trouble because of language.
    I wrote something dangerous? or just bad?
    You may have noticed my “ugh” (aj)

52. Dkratsas
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:30 am | Permalink

I hope they have Barristan the Bold’s escape from KL as well.

53. plop_
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Abyss,

Thanks for the links.

So, GRRM pretty much confirmed in his interview that we’ll get an Ygritte next season (this is the first time I see an “official” confirmation, but I may be mistaken).

54. ~Purist~Tears
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Valon Jakupi,

In terms of personality? Yep, definitely agreed. I don’t think he’s any classier in the TV show just because he’s really ridiculously good-looking.

55. Blackfish Blues
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:04 am | Permalink

plop_:

Abyss,

Thanks for the links.

Can you kindly point me to the GRRM interview? Today YouTube is awfully slow for me and I’m having trouble checking all the links. Thank you!

56. plop_
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink
  57. Martin Silenus
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Rheia Greyjoy:
    Martin Silenus,
    In your opinion, personally I disagree. ;)

No, what i said is fact – appart from my expectations for eventual sequels.
    What you say is a personal uncritical fanboish opinion.

Two Feathers: And still you post on this site……….why??

why the hell not?

58. seny
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Martin Silenus:
    God, i hope he falls down the stairs and breaks his neck.

u said it, he only wants publicity, and he got it . svaka čast na postu, da li je on to veliki fan , sumnjam, mora da mu nova ploča izlazi sad će biti u centru medija na cijelom balkanu i šire. još neka lokaln pjevačica treba da začini . greetings from bosnia.

59. Felagund
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Valon Jakupi,

60. Sid
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Martin Silenus: No, what i said is fact.

You are entitled to your opinion, as are the ones with “fanboish acceptance”.

You are also allowed to argument that your opinion is somehow superior, if you can do so in a polite and civil way. But the second you step over the line and claim that people who does not think like you are somehow inferior, then you have entered Troll Country…

61. Sid
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Felagund,

He’s old?

Or maybe she has a thing for shaved chests, and the hairiness of Iain Glen/Jorah is a turn-off for her?

62. Nayrael
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Martin Silenus: No, what i said is fact – appart from my expectations for eventual sequels.
    What you say is a personal uncritical fanboish opinion.

63. tysnow
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Martin Silenus,

I though the fifth was better than the fourth, I am of the opinion if George hadn’t stretched Dany’s storyline to such a absurb level with all the Daario crap and succumbing to poor judgement (listening to bad advice all over again), especially locking up her babies, it would have been far more involving. We had all expected the suitors to be playing their games by now, instead of having to wait another 4-5 years for the actual Dance with Dragons. George should have renamed this last book, afterall we didn’t get the battle royale over control of the children that we were all expecting.

The good news is that D&D can cannibalize the 4th and 4 1/2 books and give us the best parts. This should tighten up Dany’s and Brienne’s story arcs making them more interesting.

64. Chris77
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Felagund: Yupp, all my female GoT-fan acquaintances say that it’ll be very hard to explain why Dany does NOT want Jorah in her bed… :D

Certainly better than, as some have suggested, Drogo’s twin…

If you also think that this would be a great idea, let’s start a campaign!

65. John
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

What you say is a personal uncritical fanboish opinion.

why the hell not?

You know , i really hate douchebags like you who think their opinion is universal fact and nobody else matters .

66. Blackfish Blues
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

plop_,
    thanks, I’ve saved it in my faves because still no luck with YouTube.

67. Idaan
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Felagund,

Felagund:
    Valon Jakupi,

She’s a teenage girl. She doesn’t want the hairy, kind and reserved good guy who’s twice her age. She wants Westeros version of Justin Bieber. I suppose she could be quite into Jorah if she had some daddy issues, but she doesn’t as far as we know.

68. Sid
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Idaan: She wants Westeros version of Justin Bieber.

This! “Leave him alone!” ROFL.

69. userj
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Chris77: On Westeros, we have a discussion in the “Casting for Daario Naharis” thread that it would be awesome to get Jason Momoa to play Daario. Without a beard, another hairstyle, no makeup and a golden tooth, he would be perfect and explain better, why Dany is attracted to such an asshole. Considering he would love to get back into the series and is loved by the fans…

This… is possibly the worst casting idea I have ever heard. o_o ; Please do not listen to the crazy people HBO!

They do absolutely need to cast someone ridiculously good looking for Daario, I agree. Someone who is hot enough to still be easily the hottest person in the room while having a ridiculous blue beard and a gold tooth (or better yet leave out the tooth because it’s just too embarassing).

Spoilers for asos:
    As for Jorah I think Dany rejected him because he was being a bit of of a possessive douchebag by that point, more than anything else. Though sure, she also happened to not be physically attracted to him… To make up for that, they may have to play up the douchebaggery to make it believable. So far TV Jorah is both nicer and better looking than his book counterpart, though.

70. dizzy_34
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I love the opinion as fact commenting technique. You can post anything you want and to make it sound extra official if you just put FACT behind it. I think I’ll try it – The Cowboys will win the Superbowl this year, FACT!

71. Maxwell James
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Chris77,

That said, the parade of hints that Momoa might come back makes me wonder who they would recast him as (assuming they’re not stupid enough to bring back Drogo, which would be a textbook case of jumping the shark). I think he could pull off the Red Viper, although he’s a tad too imposing for the role. He could also make for a potentially decent Mance.

72. Shinyteapot
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Much as I loved Momoa’s performance, I hope he’s not brought back in another role. It would be too obvious, and hence jarring to the viewer (at least to me).

If they want to feature Drogo in the odd flashback or dream sequence, should any occur, that’s more than fine by me (and they can bring Viserys back for them too!).

73. Chris77
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James: Can’t say I’m behind recasting Momoa as Daario – but only because I’d rather not see Daario in the show at all. I honestly think it would be more interesting to see them deviate from the books by having Jorah and Dany hook up (but with the same eventual outcome).

Well Jorah taking Daarios place would screw up the story way to much. Although I don’t like Daario either, I always wondered why Dany would be that enthralled with such an obnoxious idiot. Him reminding her of her Sun and Stars would be a good explanation and I bet they could easily make him looking different enough. Just imagine Mom0a without his eyeliner, without (or another style of) beard, short (eventually blue tinged) hair, a golden incisor and (most important) with clothes on.
    Having him as Daario would be way better, than (as others have suggested) reviving Drogo, make his spirit appear ObiWan style or bringing in Drogos long lost twin.

74. Maxwell James
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

Maybe. But it’s worth noting that like many actors, Momoa can be made to look very different for another role. See here for example:

I’ve never seen him in anything other than Thrones, so I’m not convinced he can effectively play a very different kind of character. But because he’s so enthusiastic about the production, I’d consider giving him a chance. Having one actor play multiple roles in a TV production is well-established and can be pulled off effectively sometimes.

Chris77,

Well Jorah taking Daarios place would screw up the story way to much.

I’m not suggesting he take Daario’s place, which again I’d prefer be eliminated entirely should they get that far. There’s zero indication that Daario will actually be important to the central story thus far, especially now that we all know he’s not Quentyn Martell in disguise. I liked the Dany chapters in Dance more than many readers, but still think they were overly slow and complicated, and eliminating Daario would help with that.

75. KG
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I never understood that attitude. Why would an introvert crowd-hater even bother becoming an actor?

It boggles the mind. Acting is the most public of the arts.

76. KG
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Chris77,

No, that’s stupid :)

(Since today seems to be all about opinions lol)

77. Josh Parker
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

KG,

Kim Basinger suffers from near-crippling stage fright.

I know, it’s weird.

78. Zagi
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I am wondering will they use Fort Imperial for some scenes, the view is simply stunning!

79. PretendImNotHere
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Today HBO filming in Lapad.
    (Actor Steven Cole was bloodrider Kovarro just who don’t know)
    Some Dorthaki walk but when my bird whisp me more news i share it with you.

80. andrea
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

KG,

Maybe it is weird…but what do I know. I know some actors who are shy people (mostly men), some neurotic. Maybe something happens to them in front ot the camera?
    Maybe the acting gives them the possibility of actually hide behind a character and not have to be themselves…? Being a shy person myself (don´t like crowds either) I think that might be a possible explanation but… I´m not an actor and have no answers and… I’m not being very helpful … is it?

81. Knurk
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

KG,

he seems like a guy who just loves to act. I can respect that a lot more than actors who only love the attention they get from acting.

82. andrea
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

KG,

and then there´s a fact that P.D. was not used (accustomed?) to big TV shows or fans. I’d be scared to death too.

83. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Seems we have a finalized start date for next season! April 15 2011. I don’t know if we had this before, but if we did, I missed it.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy, yeah, that’s fake. The date will be officially announced by HBO, but not until next year at the earliest.

85. OhDanyBoy
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Cool. I guess fansshare posting it should have been my first clue…

86. Ryan E
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Martin Silenus: Martin Sil

Yeah, I disagree.. thought the 5th was light years better than the fourth. It was a great book, just wish it was 200 pages longer so we could have read the end of it…

87. William Aaron Grandy
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

88. Zagi
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

William Aaron Grandy: Love it how when I walked the Walls of Dubrovnik this summer, I thought of how great a location this would be for GoT. This was before they decided to film here (or at least before we knew it)! Its gonna be great, LOVE CROATIA!

89. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

They should do a few scenes on Plitvice lakes

90. userj
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James: I am suggesting that the sexual tension between Jorah and Dany in books 2-3 could be heightened due to his obviously more attractive appearance & affect in the show. It wouldn’t even need to be consummated necessarily – but could be if the producers wanted to keep Dany’s later miscarriage in some form. Plus it could add to the drama when Jorah is sent into exile after the capture of Meereen.

I don’t think you need to heighten the sexual tension. Just having the actors doing their thing and being their charismatic selves with the book material should do. But I think we ultimately need Daario (and NOT Jason Momoa, that would be the cheesiest thing ever). I feel maybe the main purpose of the character Daario in the books is to bring the Jorah/Dany situation to a head. Daario is perfectly crafted to maximize Jorah’s jealous/possessive behavior, being almost Jorah’s polar opposite (which is why readers find him to be so unbearable – yes, I went there). No, we must have Daario vs. Jorah in season 3 – Dany needs some alternatives (though if I were her I might look to those sexy bloodriders rawr)!

91. Epic the cannaboid
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Well, “Steven Cole cast as… Kovarro” appears to be meant as eye candy for Dany scenes and perhaps a little more. Until Daario crashes that party.

Having Mamao recast as Daario is not serious, is it? Doesn’t seem like a realistic notion.

92. Two Feathers
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P:
    They should do a few scenes on Plitvice lakes

Also according to my ASOIAF calender its GRRM`s birthday today. Congrats. George…wish you many more.

93. Martin Silenus
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Nayrael: Nope, it is an opinion. But than again, basing on your various comments around, you seem to be one of idiots who think their opinions are better than others so I am not sure you even know what word “opinion” means.

I would tell you why, but judging by your post youre just an idiot – which is very visible by the way you “argue.
    First, there are no various arguments of mine here. There are only two. One that has nothing to do with the Dance. So its actually one.

Second, in your first reply you go for namecalling, which truly makes you an idiot and an inferior “human” being.

Therefore, youre definitely not deserving of any decent answer.

Sid: This is false. That you think the three first books are epic, the fourth decent and the fifth horrible (and on its way to become a soap opera) is nothing more than your personal (and by definition bias) opinion. Which is fine. Just don’t try to present it as fact.

You are entitled to your opinion, as are the ones with “fanboish acceptance”.

Its not false just because you want to believe otherwise. There is no need for me to present it “as a fact” – because it is a fact.
    Also – if something is an opinion it does not follow it is biased, especially not by definition,
    else nothing a man invented, said or thought up in history would make any sense.

Nor you should make claims of trying to claim my opinion being superior in relation to anyone being inferior – when i made no such claims or insinuations.
    (the poster above this more than proved his intellectual and general inferiority in spades himself)

Rather you imagined it and are accusing me of being a troll already (by trolling) – which is a very boring and pathetic tactic panicked fans like to employ out of shear fear that their favored thing might be endangered in some way.

Now, when i eventually write my review, youre welcome to try and give some counter arguments. I would actually love if someone could convince me Dance is not a steaming pile of mamoth dung any which way you look at it – but it wont be written here and this is not a thread of that subject anyway.

So i wont waste my time on your hate and pathetic attempts to shout out anyone not complying with your desires on the matter with that childish simplistic logic.

94. markotom
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink
  95. Squealer
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

In Iceland? If they were here, we’d know.

However, places they’ll use will definitely not be touristy. Maybe not even populated at all. Photos shot from distance will be scarce since not very many people care to drive for 5-6 hours across unbridged rivers and rough terrain for a “Trucks this way –>” sign. So you’re gonna have to rely on extras and small-time-crew for leaking stuff.

Which I hope will be me. And I’ll do it too! Phew. *excitement!*

96. Martin Silenus
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

tysnow:
    Martin Silenus,

Now, this is a post worthy of a normal answer.

I wish that the only issue was the whole Daenerys part of it. I wish.
    Although by itself its pretty hard to swallow seeing how before the Dance Daenerys was (probably) my favorite character.
    Now i dont even know who “Daenerys” is anymore.

Not only did Martin completely reversed her character and instead of developing forward made her devolve backwards but he completely destroyed and turned her into completely different person.

Pretty much the same thing happens with Jon and the rest of the characters simply go nowhere or dont do anything – at all. At all.

Atleast the Feast had a theme of portraying consequences of war. Dance is a book about nothing happening and main characters devolving into stupidity of twilight levels.

97. KG
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I’m a musician – I consider it the second-most public art. In other words, you NEED to create it in front of an audience for it to matter. I haven’t had stage fright since I was five and we did a kindergarten Halloween pageant (I was the witch!) It’s just bewildering to me. Not saying it’s wrong, or he’s a jerk or a weirdo … the idea is just so foreign to me.

98. dizzy_34
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Martin Silenus,

You know we do have an ADWD thread around here somewhere…

99. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Martin Silenus,

It’s your choice friend.

…and please post the link to your review when it’s completed.

100. andrea
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

KG,
    Everyone in my family were musicians (grandfather, opera singer grandmother, my father and his 8 siblings) and I promise you that all of them were very shy. My friends (mostly musicians) on the other hand, are not shy (but very neurotic). Maybe it has nothing to do with the occupation or profession… just a matter of temperament that can not be avoided?
    I understand what you´re saying though: it is rather strange when it comes to something that demands an audience.

101. dizzy_34
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: Martin Silenus, I get your point Martin and despite the fanboyishness that can be prevalent on this site the main reason you rub people the wrong way (ie: accusing people you responded to as being intellectually inferior) is because the majority of us on this board are civil and respect each other’s opinions, this is the way this site has been from the get-go. I mean many of them got together publicly in New York several months ago! Whenever someone with an assertive opinion coupled with some vitriol for GRRM or the series that is presented in a matter-of-fact manner posts comments similar to yours they ignite a flame war. It’s just how it is on this site, we simply have no time for it, its kind of like that really opinionated person in your circle of friends that venomously trashes the film that everyone has clearly enjoyed instead of saying something like: “I wasn’t a fan”. Its not that your opinion is wrong because I myself have issues with ADWD and the show thus far and will be more then happy to read your review when it’s done and give you honest yet civil feedback on it. All I am saying is you can keep posting the way you and have people respond negatively to your posts or you can present your opinion in a respectful manner.It’s your choice friend.…and please post the link to your review when it’s completed.

Yes please post a link … I’m on pins and needles here.

102. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

Oh good job friend! All my diplomatic work….undone!!!

*weeps inconsolably for the future of humanity*

But if you were not being sarcastic: I too am awaiting the link! :-)

103. Moe
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who can’t see any Iain Glen-related photos in TPortal.hr? The first thing that greeted me is freaking Pippa Middleton’s face :( Searching didn’t turn up anything either.

I want some hot piece of Jorah!

104. jojo
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Moe: I want some hot piece of Jorah!

Oh you poor deprived soul! Here are some direct links!

105. Moe
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 12:13 am | Permalink

jojo: Oh you poor deprived soul!Here are some direct links!

THANK YOU!!!

106. Martin Silenus
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Will do. It will take some time since i have quite a few other things to do and it will be quite a long one.

btw, if you read the posts more carefully you might see who actually started with: idiot, troll, inferior – commentary.

and thats enough about that.

107. Ena Kobentar
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:16 am | Permalink

I was in Dubrovnik on that day and I missed them by 2 kilometers. :/

108. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Moe: THANK YOU!!!

Iain Glen looks tired and pissed off …

109. Sid
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:41 am | Permalink

Martin Silenus:

You are entitled to your opinion, as are the ones with “fanboish acceptance”.

———————————————————————————–

Hehe, I should have known this type of response was incoming. I’ll try to explain what I mean.

First, your take on the books are only fact in your subjective universe. It might be that many people agree with this opinion, but it still does not make it fact. Some people are always going to disagree with you on this. In THEIR subjective universe, it is fact that the books might be the best thing ever, or it is fact that the first three books sucked, and 4 and 5 are great. Who knows? But it is still OPINION, which this is all about. And you are entitled to yours. As others are to theirs.

Second, opinion IS biased. Maybe not consciously, but there it is. Even mine, about this. :) That does not hinder invention in any way. Quite the opposite, I think. If people did not have different reference points and opinions, no one would be able to think “outside the box”. It is the dynamic between different opinions that drive invention, in my view.

Also recall that even the strongest scientific theories are only that, THEORIES. There is a very good reason it is called that, as it opens up the possibility that we might be wrong. Of course the “opinion” that gravity exists is very strong, but the second it does not show up to work, it can no longer be called a fact, now can it? But I can absolutely agree that this argument is not relevant in every day life, and I also consider gravity’s existence a “fact”. Which I presume is the origin of your argument?

But when it comes to artistic accomplishments, like a book or a painting, the quality of it is judged by the beholder, which invariably will come to as many conclusions as there are individual beholders. THIS is the reason why I call your argument false and suggest that you are only voicing your opinion.

Third, I am not making any claims that your view is superior. I am saying that you are free to argument this. There is a big difference.

Fourth, I guess I am saying that your post has trollish qualities (at least within the special circumstances in this forum). Yes, I think (opinion again), that if you go past just argumenting, and start getting personal (like insulting disagreeing people’s intelligence), then you are no longer argumenting, you are trolling. I can agree that you have not explicitly done so, but the combination of lines that you wrote about your comment as fact, and others’ comments as “uncritical fanboish opinion”, is easily interpreted (again, within this forum) that you somehow “knows better”, and likewise can be interpreted as insulting the others’ intelligence. It might not have been your intention, and like you say, people tend to be more sensitive regarding things they care about, which explains the reactions you get. But my point was that if you want to argue your point here, you might do better if you do not cast away counter arguments as “uncritical fanboish opinion”.

That does not make it OK to respond with more trolling (as others have done). I have full respect for your intelligence, but I disagree with some of the things you have written.

Fifth, I truly apologize if you considered my reply trolling. That was not my intention. I just want the discussion here on this board to be kept civil and polite.

Sixth, I would gladly read a review on the books from you, regardless how you interpret them. I always appreciate a different take on a thing I thought I knew. I won’t try to convince you though, as I myself have read many books I consider better… :)

I choose to ignore your last comment, as it does not contribute to the discussion. ;)

110. Nayrael
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Martin Silenus: There is no need for appraisal of the book to be an “opinion” when the book exists and can be read and it speaks for itself.

Therefore, youre definitely not deserving of any decent answer.

On first, Silus, the comment was NOT about your opinion on Dance (which is why I didn’t respond to your Dance comment earlier: I don’t care if you hate it nor do I see why you shouldn’t) but about your “It is a fact” and accusing others to be fanboys for thinking otherwise part of your comment, all that written in a very rude tone.

On second, Silus, I replied with the same tone you speak. Fanboy is also a namecalling, for many people nothing less insulting than idiot.

111. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:05 am | Permalink

PretendImNotHere:
    Today HBO filming in Lapad.
    (Actor Steven Cole was bloodrider Kovarro just who don’t know)
    Some Dorthakiwalk but when my bird whisp me more news i share it with you.

112. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić: Great to get some news from the set. Do you know anything about filming in Knežev Dvor today?

I second the need to know and demand to see some pics even if you have to crawl accross the roofs to get the pics from the inner courtyard :)

113. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Zagi: Same here! They should have also picked Split IMO, the central square there is really something..

When I asked GRRM at signing in Ljubljana about possibility of filming in Croatia he mentioned Dubrovnik and Split as potential locations. The problem with Peristil (I think that is the square you are referring to) is that it is currently getting renovated so it wouldn’t be possible to film there.

114. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:17 am | Permalink

I will be within 100 kilometers from Dubrovnik this weekend. So close yet so far away…

115. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink

markotom:
    dont know if you know about this pictures from dubrovnik….

It seems the site isn’t working at the moment as I can’t get to the front page either. There are two shots from that article that show up on google search, were there more?
    Good thing they had some internal scenes to film in case of rain – when I was staying in Dubrovnik for a week at early autumn few years back it was raining quite often…

116. markotom
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

yeah…thre are 4 more pictures…. i hope now it works!!! here

117. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:07 am | Permalink

markotom,

Yes, even http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ says the site is down. I’ll check it out later. But villa Sorkočević seems as a great place to shoot. From the two images I saw they could be shooting some Quarth scenes…

118. markotom
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

for me it works… i don`t know what is the problem… about Quarth i think so too…the style of the armor is new and oriental so it shoud be quarth…
    edit: actally there are 10 pictures

119. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Sid

THIS!

120. PretendImNotHere
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

nope i have some whisper(don’t like what i hear ) now I w8ing.I whant 100% to be sure before i relese whisp.

121. dizzy_34
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Little advice for Martin Silenus, ‘fact’ = ‘it is known’ to us ‘slavering fanboys’. Use that next time and we’ll go easy on you.

122. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 9:15 am | Permalink

PretendImNotHere,

please do :)

123. userj
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky: Iain Glen looks tired and pissed off …

If they have just crossed the red waste, then he’d be getting into character in that case, lol. (Or maybe just jetlag).

124. koryanshea
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

could they be the unsullied? I really love the armor, but they seem a bit… smallish. But they are all smoothly shaven so they really could be…

125. Moe
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky: Iain Glen looks tired and pissed off …

He’s still hot! ;)

I can’t wait for the second episode of Downton Abbey, he’ll be a guest star there. I hope he’ll stay for more than one episode but I doubt it. Either way DA will probably keep me happy for a while.

126. Dario Pavlovic
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

New pics of st. Dominic street, in Dubrovnik, which is told to be used for mob riot scene on Myrcella’s departure from King’s landing. We will see tomorrow. Lots of drapes and merchant stuff, it was nice passing there today, almost like you’re in series…

127. Martin Silenus
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i didnt read any of the self justificatory garbage you wrote. I tried, skimmed over a few sentences, but… just couldnt make myself endure it.

Just thought to let you know.

128. Epic knows nothing
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Martin Silenus,

Nice. I thought the responses had completely changed your mind and that’s why you hadn’t responded. Like you were schooled hard, big time. others: 1, martin: 0. Thank you for coming here to let me know that the exact reverse of that is true, because it changes everything. (Just kidding, I don’t even know what you are trying to convince people about ;)

129. seny
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers: Just googled Plitvice lakes………….amazing! The water falls are unlike any I have seen, and I think have a surreal/ fantasy quality to them. It would be nice to see them used in the show.

That would be great and u should take a interactive tour of castle “Ostrožac” – Cazin here : http://dkcazin.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=83&lang=hr , its great location and its very near to Plitvice.

130. seny kovach
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

…and near me :)

131. userj
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Moe,

I’m looking forward to that myself!
    Glen is pre-credited for 3 episodes of DA. Sadly not all 7, but 3 is better than just 1!

132. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 22, 2011 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Martin Silenus,

Well now we know where you stand Martin. I was looking forward to reading your review and giving my feedback as like you I have several criticisms with the show and ADWD. :-(
    But the trollish behaviour you displayed in your most recent post…while I don’t believe your a troll I do believe that you are very arrogant and have no respect for other peoples opinion than your own. That I cannot abide. If I was speaking to you face to face in a social situation I would make up an excuse to get up and leave you to your own devices.

You can keep your link as I have no interest in what you have to say anymore. I recommend IMDB if you wish to post in the manner that you do. I’m sure you will find someone with a similar size ego to debate with.

133. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

No response?

Shocking!

134. Walk in Dusche
    Posted February 25, 2012 at 7:15 am | Permalink

A lot of thanks for every one of your effort on this website. Betty loves setting aside time for research and it’s easy to see why. We all notice all about the compelling ways you make precious tips on the blog and recommend participation from some other people on this point while our own child has been understanding a whole lot. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the new year. You are doing a really great job.