Day 61: More set photos from Dubrovnik
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

Baratheon Lannister bannerYou want more photos and videos from the set of Game of Thrones in Dubrovnik? Good, because the local media and fans are more than happy to oblige.

First up, this report from DubrovnikTV.net, in which they interview Thrones producer Frank Doelger. Some interesting comments here from Doelger, including the revelation that where Dany finds herself in season two isn’t exactly as it is in the books. Hmmm… I wonder what that means?

Meanwhile, Russian Ice & Fire fan site 7kingdoms.ru managed to get their hands on a bunch of exclusive set photos, showing Tyrion, Varys, Joffrey and others. Go check them out. They even got video of them filming a short scene!

Winter Is Coming: Too bad almost all of the new characters are filming on the much more secure sets in Northern Ireland. I really want to see Melisandre, Stannis, Brienne, Margaery, etc. But I’ll take what I can get!

1. tek
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I love Joffery’s new costume additions!

2. Cristian Far Arnedo
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I think they are just trying to beef up Daenerys storyline in season 2, she only has 5 chapters in the book, and she may visit some other locations so she can appear in more episodes. I just hope that whatever deviation from the books (like Arya being Tywins cupbearer or the extended Robb & Jeyne love story) they introduce doesn’t change the ultimate destination, and by the season finale everyone is on par with their book storylines.

3. Lars
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Looks like Dubrovnik is being used as both Kings Landing and Quarth in season 2….

4. Josh Parker
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Tyrion’s hair looks much lighter. More like it did in S1 set photos.

5. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Joffrey is sure starting to look like a king. Still want to punch him, though.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Sansa in Dubrovnik? But she’ll be in Belfast tomorrow! :) crazy. We’ll ask.

7. Wolfheart
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I still dont understand why costume design chose to have all the capes on the kings guard and lannister MaA so long they drag on the ground…stooopid.

Joffrey’s new kingly outfit looks nice. Even though I hate the little snot. I wish we could have seen some Baratheon black/yellow in the mix.

Its nice to see Joffs hair is still more golden yellow like Lannisters should be, compared to how Dinklages brown hair is, which shouldnt be and be more like his nephew.

Also love seeing the new banner, the stag and lion together. Although its a bit odd adding on the outsides some additional color sections. Would have looked better with just one color section each with the sigils.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Cool photos!

9. Langkard
    Posted September 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Wolfheart:

I wonder if this is a case of someone trying to stick to the books and it ending up odd because they’ve deliberately shied away from traditional heraldry standards in their designs, which GRRM was actually thinking of in his descriptions? Doesn’t book 1 (or maybe book 2) describe Joffrey’s arms as being quartered, which would be the correct heraldric usage for combining arms – upper left, lower right and upper right, lower left? If so, someone saw quartered and tried to remain true to that description, but was stuck with the odd heraldry of season 1 and so we end up with 4 panels in a row?

10. Thiago Slash
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Johan Sporre:
    Joffrey is sure starting to look like a king. Still want to punch him, though.

word.

also Peter Dinklage has groupies! hahahaha

11. metalgoddessamb
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 1:11 am | Permalink

tek:
    I love Joffery’s new costume additions!

So do I. first thing I noticed. looks like maybe the costume designers didn’t like losing that emmy to The Borgias and are stepping up their game! I hope ALL the characters look a bit richer and more royal this season. I wasn’t totally impressed with most the costuming in season 1.

12. Black Lion
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Wolfheart,

Many scenes show the guards from the front or side view, where the long capes look more menacing and badass. If the cape ended at, say, ankles, the image from the front would look ridiculous.

I don’t like the new banner but not for being four-paneled but for the weird depiction of heraldric beasts. The stag looks like an anorectic.

13. PretendImNotHere
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Black Lion:
    Winter is coming,

Probably they cut somehow dragons from us-less dragons less money to spend.Only question is how HBO plans to do it. I suppose HBO make some sort of theft or something similarly and now Deny search and killing to find them on this travel.Probably she find new city on this adventure.
    This is my view of storyline and guys bring here urs point of view.
    p.s. I hope that HBO will keep story from the books and sorry on my crap english :)

14. Dario Pavlovic
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 4:33 am | Permalink

Some non “GoT” pictures, staff of “GoT” relaxing in Dubrovnik.
    Peter definitively has highlights in his hair, ;)

15. Zed
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Dario Pavlovic,

Is that Lucian Msamati as Salladhor Saan on picture 4 or Nonso Anozie as Xaro Xhoan Daxos?

16. Oi!
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

That’s Nonso, Lucian is older.

17. Wolfheart
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Langkard: I wonder if this is a case of someone trying to stick to the books and it ending up odd because they’ve deliberately shied away from traditional heraldry standards in their designs, which GRRM was actually thinking of in his descriptions?Doesn’t book 1 (or maybe book 2) describe Joffrey’s arms as being quartered, which would be the correct heraldric usage for combining arms – upper left, lower right and upper right, lower left?If so, someone saw quartered and tried to remain true to that description, but was stuck with the odd heraldry of season 1 and so we end up with 4 panels in a row?

18. Wolfheart
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Black Lion:
    Wolfheart,

“menacing or badass” really? REALLY? They dont need to be nearly as long as a wedding gown train…come on. Costumes don’t need to be “badass” or “menacing” just by the cape, they can pull that off with the rest of the costume. The capes can drag an inch or two, but what they have is excessive and in reality a trip hazard for any extra or actor behind them. In reality they are militarily impractical as in combat they would trip or fall or cause their fellow soldiers to trip or fall.

I have to agree, the stag sigil looks a bit odd in comparison to historical and common heraldry of animal charges in rampant position facing another animal. I don’t really know if Jim Stanes researched this enough. He spent a great deal looking at contemporary logo design.

19. Zmajevic
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Lex: Cool photos!Love the Lannister/Baratheon banner! (But I agree with Wolfheart, they should have stuck with two background colour panels, instead of 4).Also… the Lannister and Kingsguard helmets still look stupid. Whatever interesting novelty they had at first has worn off for me. Oh well, just being nitpicky.

20. Coltaine777
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Zmajevic: Agree, completely on helmets design for Lannisters and Kings guards –probably the worst I ever saw in my life –totally cartoonish, and lannisters remind me to Star Wars clone troopers.

It’s funny ….but the helmets have grown on me my friend …I don’t even notice them now watching the re-runs

21. Langkard
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Wolfheart: Did anyone else notice that the Lion and Stag are missing a raised fore leg in the sigils? They only have 3 legs. You can actually get a quarted banner to look better, much like Henry V’s banner. But you would have to have two stags and two lions. So its understandable why production went the route they did. I just would have lost the two extra colored sections. You can utilize quartered colors on costumes better.

Agreed. I really think either someone didn’t understand the meaning of quartered arms or had to stick with the style already used and had no choice.

I’m not sure why they left off the 4th leg. The only heraldric style which would only have 3 legs instead of 4 would be the dormant, because the prone position hides the far back leg. Every other position shows all 4 legs.

I believe the armor of the various House retainers would look much better if they had stuck with a more traditional heraldry. The colors would be more vibrant and it would be far easier to tell one soldier’s affiliation from another. A properly done quartered arms of the Baratheon stag and the Lannister lion combatant (facing each other in rampant position) would look great on banners, shields and soldiers’ surcoats. That’s the whole point of early heraldry in the first place – to tell one army from another on the battlefield. If everyone on the field is wearing brown plus some subdued color, they’ll just end up killing their own in the confusion.

22. John
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Now i feel like you guys criticize for the sake of it, i mean what the hell is wrong with the banner ? Just because of the colors there has to be 10 comments saying the same thing ?

23. Wolfheart
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

John:
    Now i feel like you guys criticize for the sake of it, i mean what the hell is wrongwith the banner ? Just because of the colors there has to be 10 comments saying the same thing ?

Woops, and here I thought people here are allowed an opinion. I don’t remember any of us really insulting. And we generally explained our opinion. I welcome you to hunt down a happy happy joy joy candy coated forum full of sunshine, butterflyes and unicorns that poop rainbows…

I don’t expect to go to any forum in discussion to find nothing but blind blessings and obsessed ignorant praises for a “perfect” thing. I enjoy going to forums on things I love to see other peoples opinions, for good or bad, because its interesting.

A thought on the banner again. Interesting that production didn’t make the animal charges bigger and fill up their respected color sections more on the banner to stand out more. I wonder if production has odd limitations to screen printing or the like. As they dont look sewn/appliqued/embroidered on.

24. KG
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

To people who are interested in heraldry, the design of most of the banners is a little jarring. I can see where they wanted to separate their world from the real world, but if you understand quartering (hell, I even understand the Stoddart System of differencing arms) it all looks a little funky.

In short, excuse us for having interests beyond the ordinary. (no pun intended)

25. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

It’s a bit strange – Sophie said she hadn’t been in Dubrovnik yet, right? Perhaps it’s just someone who looks like her in that screenshot.

Posted September 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre, the blonde in that pic is Aimee Richardson. Not sure who the other girl is, but it’s definitely not Sophie.

27. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 24, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Yeah, it was the girl to the left who had a dress and hair that looked a wee bit like Sophie’s, but apparently it wasn’t her.

28. Twelvetrees
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Dario Pavlovic:
    Some non “GoT” pictures, staff of “GoT” relaxing in Dubrovnik.
    Peter definitively has highlights in his hair, ;)

Yeah, but they’re AUBURN highlights!

Still can’t get over that…….*baffled*

29. Jennyn
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Pleased to see Joffy still looks exceptionally slappable.

The Lannisters themselves are, in the words of King Robert, “yellow-haired shits”, so that feature should feature, no?

Dubrovnik is looking more perfect the more I see of it. Kudos yet again to the location scouts!
    A fantasy-phobic friend of mine who is half-Croatian only recently let me talk her into watching season 1. Needless to say, she is now well and truly hooked and will be tickled pink (pardon me, English is my second language and I just love experimenting with whimsical quaint expressions like this) when i tell her where much of season 2 is being filmed…

Usually, I try to stay away from set photos like these because they can really compromise the immersive impact of the finished product, but with April still aeons away and no teasers/trailers to be expected anytime soon, how can I resist?!

Btw, the other day I watched the 2011 BBC version of “Jane Eyre” – Nina Gold did the casting for that one and The Devil’s Horsemen (who recently shipped some fine steeds to a certain film set in Croatia) supply the equestrian stars. So, if any of you need further proof of Ms. Gold’s talent and/or are in the mood for some classical Victorian drama, go check it out.
    Harry Lloyd has a small role in it too…

30. Degausser
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

hehe I like seeing myself dressed as a gold cloak :D

31. userj
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

It certainly is odd that in that interview they never mention Quarth and keep talking about how they have to keep secret where Dany is actually supposed to be. In some ways I don’t really see the point in changing/combining locations, but OTOH I guess I don’t have a problem with it, either. Obviously we have the Quartheen characters. I really hope they don’t go as far as the Unsullied, though. Dany has only 5 chapters in this book, but she only has 6 in aSoS! So if they take the first 3 from aSoS for this season, then she’s got very little to do next (esp if asos is split across more than 1 season as currently seems to be the plan).

But they haven’t cast any Mereenese characters so I don’t think they are doing that???

Anyway, I’m confused.

32. Jennyn
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Degausser,

Then allow me to appologize, good Sir. This of course does not apply to you *winks*:

Jennyn: The Lannister guards and Gold Cloaks are bullies and baddies and knuckleheads, so they deserve to wear dorky helmets and impractical cloaks, as far as I’m concerned. ;o)

33. Starkgirl
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I must be one of few who think the Lannister helmets and cloaks look fine.

34. SJ
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Lex,

The Lannister helmets work for me, but I tend to agree with you about the Kingsguard helmets. They seem too reminiscent of the Imperial helms from Oblivion, and you can’t really distinguish who’s who until they’re taken off. Maybe that’s the idea, but still.