TITANCON: Day One – A New Hope
By Fire And Blood on in Media.

Photo courtesy of Jim Corr (jimcorrphotography.com) and TitanCon

TITANCON! Front row from left to right: Lord Jo, Miltos, Sophie, Maisie. Back row: everyone else.

(For the uninitiated, “Lord” Jo “The Favourite Spearwife” is a professional fight choreographer and stuntwoman from Clann Ulaidh, a band of well-skilled battle-ready blokes ready-to-hire for stunt work, period fight demonstrations, and Bar Mitzvahs. Jo helped with Miltos’s Water Dance demonstration, and is a close friend of George and Parris; she was Parris’s Maid of Honour at their wedding. Be ready for her band, Dothraki Deathmetal, soon to be unleashed upon the world.)

Nearly as big as its name and only half as destructive, TitanCon strode into Belfast the weekend of September 23 – 25 like the giant it was named for. It boasted a gaming hall, a Magic the Gathering tournament (I really should have brought my all-white/millstone deck from 1996, just to irk the general gaming populace), costume contest, masquerade ball, an odd little performance by Wireless Mystery Theatre, and more…

But mostly for everyone involved, this was all about Game of Thrones. Sophie Turner! Maisie Williams! Kristian Nairn! Miltos Yerolemou! Art Parkinson! Callum Wharry! (Partially!) (He had football!) And many more.

There were three panels and two press meets; the first gathering was for media only (of course we were there) which featured Sophie, Maisie, Kristian, and Art.

We were able to ask a few questions, as was some of the local media. Also present was the UK geekblog, Following The Nerd; FtN also joined us in a later private interview.

(I was privately hoping for an appearance by Adam Whitehead of the always-salient Wertzone, but sadly the Colchesterian was not in Belfast for the event.)

Rickon says: “RR!”

That private panel was followed by two public ones that also included Miltos and Callum, as well as William Simpson, the storyboard and concept artist for Game of Thrones. The last two panels were moderated by author and GoT fan Peadar Ó Guilín.

As I’m still in the midst of (semi-successfully) (hey, it’s me) editing video, I thought a few pictures would more than suffice to whet the whistles of our populous Game of Thrones fandom.

All pictures taken are shown courtesy of TitanCon, with permission. Special thanks to Ser Mountain Goat, Jackie, “Get Joe on the Show” Joe, and Rimshot for their indelible contributions.

Speaking of Jackity MacMackity, she’s already got a BLOG of the events up. Feel free to peruse at your leisure. And for the Westerosi-minded, Ser–errr, LORD Mountain Goat begat a TitanCon thread over at Westeros.

We have more perusal opportunities than you have hours in a day, people!

So! Day One Photos!

(Don’t blame me if you click on them and they’re sideways. Or upside down.)

Gathered at McHugh’s. Back row: a sexy HmR and his HmRette.
Front row: a monkey, a Scot, a Rabbit, and a tree (pre-tree).

Hodor gives some Hodor to FaBio. Kristian is actually not that tall; FaBio is just 4′ 11″.

Maisie takes all comers during Miltos’s Water Dancing exhibition. Her bloodied victims included “Lord” Jo and “Get Joe on the Show” Joe. Maisie ended the day 35-1 and was crowned champion, until…

…she was cruelly betrayed and murdered by her “sister,” Sophie. (Go Team Sansa!) Maisie had enough wits about her to kill Sophie even as she died horribly. Thankfully, Miltos is skilled in mummery and miraculous resurrection, and was able to bring them both back to life.

They then both promptly turned on Miltos and murdered him where he stood. So sad.

Callum Wharry, aka Tommen Lann–errr, Baratheon. He is Irish, and thus is not impressed with you. With any of you.

A passing paparazzo caught FaBio with an extreeemely gorgeous Sally Turner (Sophie’s mum). The photographer was clearly overcome by Sally’s natural charm, and was shaking, making the picture blurry. (That or FaBio’s breath made him woozy.)

“Uh oh. She’s grown just a bit. Might be time to consider re-casting…”

Maisie gives her love to FaBio as only she can. “This is how an Englishwoman deals with American breath!”

Lord Two Feathers says: “Fashion faux pas, FaBio! We’re wearing the same shirt!” (This picture is as good as can be expected, truth be told; what you are seeing is an image viewed through tears of joy at meeting someone as illustrious as Two Feathers, aka “The guy who walked behind Rickon during the episode one Stark archery scene.”)

Jackity MacMackity as Hodor-and-Bran. JacMac took first prize in the costume contest with this one. We’re still not sure why Hodor has bare feet though.

Sam the walking weirwood. She was robbed. Robbed!

Thus end my pictures for Day One. (There was a bit of dancing after the costume contest, but the lights were low, and “Get Joe On The Show” Joe has threatened me with bodily harm if I ever release the compromising photos I took of him with a certain horn.)

Video soon to come!

1. Zack
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Well, this makes me smile. I love seeing the people behind the characters just having fun with it all. I am totally envious of those who were in attendance.

2. Fire And Blood
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

You need to go next year. All of you.

Hear Me Roar says he will buy everyone’s airline tickets for them too!

No, really!

3. TheIrateShavepate
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

It’s funny because I can’t even picture Syrio without the hair anymore. Wasn’t he going to shave his head for the role, before the producers told him to keep it? Good choice. The wild curls seemed to give his character more personality.

4. Nivar
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Awsome with free airline tickets I will so be there! Thx HmR

5. Bro
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

This sounds like complete and utter madness! But that of the good sort!

6. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Aha! Count me in then!

7. janeh227
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

You guys totally ROCK! I am so happy for all of you– great times & more, more more to come! I too can live vicariously.

8. The Instrumentalist
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Dude, you CANNOT be 4’11”. I’m actually 4’11”. I can’t imagine you my height at all! Please tell me that was a joke. :P

9. Josh Parker
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Can I just state again for the record that Maisie is freakin’ adorable and Sophie…THAT’S a 15 year old? Well, let me put it this way: she won’t hurt for more acting jobs down the road.

10. avfabel
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

…and then the Turners won the award for hottest family. Talk about having good genes.

11. Epic knows nothing
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood: I’ll add that pictures and videos alone cannot fully describe the awesomeness that was TitanCon.

Somehow in the blurry, fuzzy, rectangular colors things, the awesomeness does come out a little. Nice blurb for unmoved Callum Wharry. It’s probably wrong to say this but: Sophie Turner is hot. What? Last year she was cute.

12. Hollyoak
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Wow, what a fun report! Thanks for bringing this all back and doing the work of writing it up and posting.

Fantastic.

13. andrea
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

oh my… the size of Hodor´s hand…
    FAbio, is your shoulder still there???
    Everything looks fabulous!

14. Fire And Blood
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

The Instrumentalist,

I never joke.

Epic knows hotness,

You’re hot.

Hollyoak,

More to come. As soon as I figure out how to edit video. On a Mac. The easiest video editing machine in the world.

15. Fire And Blood
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I gave Kristian a punch on the arm for our mutual friend Jake. My hand crumpled. That dude may have “a middle,” but my god—his arms and shoulders are like cold-wrought iron.

Callum too. It’s the Irish food perhaps.

16. Winterdark
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

I hate to say this but I actually can’t remember Callum to be in the series. I know Tommen was in season 1 cause they had a screenshot of him on the HBO website but what scenes was he in? On a similar note when is the first season dvd going to be released so I can rewatch it all over and over again.

17. digtastik
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Wow. That is all.

18. Zack
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Winterdark:
    I hate to say this but I actually can’t remember Callum to be in the series.I know Tommen was in season 1 cause they had a screenshot of him on the HBO website but what scenes was he in? On a similar note when is the first season dvd going to be released so I can rewatch it all over and over again.

19. Dreamlife
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Aww–Maisie cut her hair for the show—that’s dedication! That girl is awesome. Can’t wait for more Arya in season 2.

And it’s great to see Art and Callum representing Rickon and Tommen! I wish we had gotten more of them in season 1.

Sophie—wow—I didn’t realize how tall she is compared to Maisie.

20. Clob
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

So looking forward to the video(s). If the pictures are any indication it should be a blast. :) Maisie and Sophie are awesome. “This is how an Englishwoman deals with American breath!” HA!!

21. Moe
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Great pictures btw

22. Moe
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Zack: The scene that sticks out to me, because of how fun it was, is Tyrion joining Cersei, Jaime and the kids for breakfast and Tyrion making several ‘inappropriate’ (if you suck) jests in front of the kids, to Cersei’s disapproval.

Episode 2. That scene was really fun.

Also Tommen and Myrcella were in the jousting episode, when Ser Hugh of the Vale was killed. They were only there for a few shots though.

23. Joshua Taylor
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Awesome stuff guys!

Sophie and Maisie are adorable. They positively glimmer in every photo. They are going to be stars for sure. I hope they leave the actors in their respected roles and not recast if they grow too much.

24. The Instrumentalist
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

College Humor did a second tiny GOT RPG thingy. Short, but it made me laugh. Sorry if this had already been posted, I only ever saw the first one.

25. Kanga
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

I’ve said so before but it bears repeating: I am a fan of Maisie Williams. Lovelovelove our Arya, she’s fantastic.

And apologies if this has been posted already, but it’s a GoT cartoon thingy and it made me laugh:

Haha :P

26. the goat
    Posted September 28, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Arya Fucking Stark (that’s Maisie’s new pet name)!!!!!!!!!
    Okay, okay, that’s too GoT, even for GoT. We’ll call her Lumpyhead instead.
    Perfect!!

Fine, can we still call Rickon: the One True King of the Seven Kingdoms??
    No, let’s pretend he doesn’t exist.
    Boooooooooo!!!!!!!!! You will die screaming!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay, the crowd doesn’t seem to like that, so let’s make him King intstead.
    Woooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, Rickon!!!
    Hahaha, silly audience, he’s so dead.

after much death@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Arya wins. Fuck off

(Repeat cycle)
    Our children’s children will attend Oxford!!!!

27. Moe
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 12:11 am | Permalink
  28. Bob Loblaw
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Hey Maisie’s hair is short! Mayhaps because she cut it for Season 2?!?!?

29. The Rabbit
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Finally!

Finding out what happened while I was napping.

30. Steve
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Haha that one picture with FaB and Maisie is just soooo silly.

31. sjwenings
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Moe: Is it just the lighting, or is red Sophie Turner’s real hair color? I thought she was blonde. I have to say though that being a redhead suits her better :)

It’s neither. She dyed her blonde hair for the show.

Posted September 29, 2011 at 2:32 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,
    Hey!

Steve,
    Thanks. I took that one. FaB’s idea, though :) great.

33. Jennyn
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 5:52 am | Permalink

Zack:
    Well, thismakes me smile. I love seeing the people behind the characters just having fun with it all. I am totally envious of those who were in attendance.

I think it, you post it!

And, child actors can be such tragic figures (pushed by their parents, losing touch with reality, burned-out, et cetera), but not these kids, no Ser. I see a bright future for them in the flames!

34. Johan Sporre
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 6:06 am | Permalink

I can’t believe how much fun I missed even though I was there basically the whole time.

35. The Red Avenger
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink

The kids are great on Twitter. So enthusiastic for the show. I have an affiliation with Aimee (Myrcella) and Art (Rickon) as they were kind enough to chat with me on there. Now they both follow me, which is an honour. Art even asked me if I was going to TitanCon? Sadly I couldn’t – but maybe next year. A lot of the cast are now on there. Miltos, Gethin, Maisie, Isaac, Sophie, Kristian, Finn and Eugene (Ser Loras and Lancel) – our new Brienne, Gwendolene is also on there. It’s a great way of getting to find out what is going on with the actors without the rumours. I highly recommend it.

36. Idaan
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Moe,

Moe:
    Has anybody seen this – Gethin is HOT.

37. purplejilly
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 6:48 am | Permalink

wow, looks like it was awesome fun, but someone please feed Sophie a hamburger and a milkshake or something! She’s looking a little TOO skinny!

Arya’s hair rocks. That’s great that she went for the real “Yoren” haircut!

38. Liesie
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink

It really looks like you guys were having fun :D The pictures (though the quality is debatable) were awesome and me laugh big time!

Also noticed Maisie’s haircut: it looks great on her!

39. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Idaan,

It makes me so sad to think of Stannis as a conservative, because I love Stannis and feel so bad for him (although, actually, I guess I do feel sorry for a lot of conservatives as well ;p ).

EDIT: Also, I can’t wait for my free trip to Ireland next summer!!!!!111111 Perhaps I will bring my family, too. And all my pets. All 11 of them.

40. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Tommen needs some chicken and waffles.

41. Winterdark
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Idaan: Moe, Nice to see him being a forward-thinker. Shame how later he will get himself killed by a sorcery-using rightwing conservative

LOL! That’s the most brilliant brief description of Stannis I’ve heard so far. I really liked our long and explicit unraveling of his character but this is more fun. Can you summarise the other characters as well like you did with this one?

42. The Winter Rose
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Looks like alot of fun. The kids are just so adorable.

43. Josh Parker
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Idaan,

Steve Hugh Westenra,

Yeah, fuck those conservatives. Literally all of them. They’re all assholes just like Stannis, or worse. Literally not one of them is a reasonable human being.

For that matter, they’re all so uncivil and bloodthirsty. We should line them up and have them all shot.

44. Miguel Moreira
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

The look on Arya’s face in the punch photo is priceless XD

45. arantius
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

I love the photos, they really capture the fun! Thanks so much for posting :)

46. Sid
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

47. sjwenings
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

purplejilly: but someone please feed Sophie a hamburger and a milkshake or something! She’s looking a little TOO skinny!

Not at all. She looks slim and healthy.

48. Josh Parker
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Sid,

I think it is brilliant of rationalwiki.org for promoting a completely irrational fear and hatred of conservatives. It’s how we’ll win the battle against those science-denying bible-thumpers; use complete irrationality to fight their irrationality!

49. Winterdark
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Sid: Winterdark, Actually, Kevin posted this link in the former thread which summarizes most characters… :)http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conservapedia:A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

Ah, my mistake. LOL! That is so funny! Thanks Sid

50. Sid
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

Actually, I think the author of this was banned from rationalwiki for trolling. But I think it is hugely entertaining!

51. Josh Parker
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Sid,

What? How’s that possible? His brilliant fearmongering against conservatives is the most rational thing I’ve ever seen. Those ignorant people in flyover country clinging to their guns and religion deserve to be hated and scorned. After all, they’re so hateful.

52. Sid
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Hihi, I smell a faint whiff of sarcasm there… ;)

53. Thiago Slash
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Josh Parker,

to assume every believer is a “science-denying bible-thumpers” is pure prejudice.

though the retionalwiki article is pretty fun

54. Josh Parker
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Thiago Slash,

No, prejudice is always and only white elitists who hate black people.

55. John W
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Thanks for the cool photos! it’s the next best thing to actually being there.

Come on season 2 get here already…..

56. Knurk
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker,

if you’re trying to be funny, you’re not. If you’re serious, go post on a political blog.

57. Josh Parker
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

I’m neither serious (what I said is pretty much the opposite of how I feel) nor was I trying to be funny. I was trying to be ironic.

But I’m done. I just get a bit irritated to hear my views slagged on sites I enjoy visiting. Really, we should be welcoming all political views here, barring ones that encourage violence or law-breaking, and this is the second time so far that someone has decided to blast my views here.

Anyway, that said, I’m finished with the politics talk. Hey, I heard they’re filming the Blackwater episode.

58. Aryas Horse Charle
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Ok… Sophie is 16 and has grown very tall for her age. It’s not unusual that she is thin. In any case, I don’t think it’s right or healthy to comment on the weight and/or body of a teenager, even if they are in the public eye.

59. Lina
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I’ve been out of the country and ill and terrible at keeping up with GOT/WiC, but I had just enough attention span for these photos, and I’m really glad I looked through them. Looks like Titancon was a blast, and I love seeing the actors and fans and press (this includes FaB and HmR yeah?) come together.

In that initial photo, I was blown away because I didn’t even recognize Sophie. She looks older than I do! I love the color of her hair so much. Also love the picture of the two girls…glad to see they’re just normal kids with good senses of humor (though we’ve always said how grounded they were :)).

Love the costumes too. The weirwood idea was really clever, facepaint reminds me of Heath Ledger’s Joker…why so weir-ious?

Hope everyone had fun…a good boost during the show’s off-season!

60. Steven Swanson
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Thiago Slash, No, prejudice is always and only white elitists who hate black people.Hating those supersticious bastards who want to plunge us back into the dark ages of hatred and fear is just common sense.I hate anyone who is conservative because conservatives are hateful. They deserve to die. All tolerant peace-loving people like me should shoot these bastards on sight.

Do you think this shtick gets funnier the more times you repeat it or something?

Posted September 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Lina, glad to have you back. Hope you feel better soon!

[mod] The political stuff is non-productive and divisive, so any future posts in that vein will be deleted. [/mod]

62. theMountainGoat
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

There are some people not getting enough credit for the success of TitanCon and that’s totally my fault for not making sure they got name checked at the closing ceremony. We were running late and I wanted to make sure we were ready for the evening activities. It’s no excuse. In fact I made a lot of mistakes right in that little pressure cooker of time so I wanted to apologise to those people and make sure they get the credit they deserve here.

So don’t thank me thank them.
    -theMountainGoat

Committee

Ian Lawther – co-chair and cornerstone of TitanCon. He fronted the money for most of the convention, arranged the venue at a massive discount price for us, dealt with the insurance policy, arranged the photographer, went out during the day to get the photographs printed and also worked his ass off alongside me staying up till nearly 4 am and getting up to start work at 6 am on the Saturday morning. TitanCon would not have existed without the hard work and dedication of Ian.

Logan Bruce – Treasurer and well to be honest as much of a co-chair as Ian or myself were. The great variety of guests and workshops we had at TitanCon was down to the hard work of Bruce and he also arranged all of the Culture Night events for us and made sure the Skype session stayed connected. He also secured the National Lottery Arts Council grant of £4000 without which TitanCon would have been a financial failure. TitanCon would not have existed without Bruce.

Silverjaime – Secretary and organiser of awesome feasts. I don’t think Silverjaime will ever forgive me for throwing extra people at her feast but I have to say she really did an incredible job with securing the venue, the caterer and arranging all the little details that made the feast such a pleasure. Silverjaime also took on guest liaison duties throughout the day and organised the signing. Simply put TitanCon would not have existed without Silverjaime.

Volunteer team

TitanCon would have also been a complete failure without the hard work of our incredible volunteer team who went above and beyond the call of duty. So in no particular order please thank these people:

Heather Lennox – was on reception almost the entire day, barely taking a break and also assisted with set up at the feast on Sunday

Dawn Lennox – was also on reception for almost the entire day and helped take donations during the photography session.

Victoria Stuart – another heroic effort on reception for almost the entire day.

Claire Carswell – more stellar work on reception figuring out how to use my database and label printer.

Dreximgirl – another of our great reception workers on both Friday and Saturday. Months ago she had posted on Westeros to say she was a little bit shy about volunteering to help but she still turned up to help on Friday morning when I sent a tweet to say “come to this hotel room and help us”. She did and was a hero for us going on lunch runs and more for us.

Adz of CCAA – yet another incredible job on reception on both Friday and Saturday, and all that with English not as her first language.

Pebble – originally Pebble was going to be on reception but we needed someone to laminate blank member badges for us so she got stuck in an office out the back laminating dozens and dozens of badges and lucky for us she did because we ended up with only 7 left over at the end.

Rabbit – Rabbit helped with set up putting up the room signs and direction arrows around the hotel. Rabbit also sold raffle tickets for us during the signing so a huge amount of the money we raised was due to her hard work.

Luke Bannon – We used and abused Luke something awful on Saturday morning, first being sent out to buy PC microphones for the 99 minute film school via Skype and then straight out again afterwards to buy the raffle tickets I forgot the day before. A real trooper for the cause.

Stephen de Meulemeester – Another of The Other Ones pressed into a thankless task on Saturday minding the service entrance door in the morning and various other tasks throughout the day.

Mark Lamki – Took on security duties up around Castle Black and The Eyrie on Saturday morning and helped the photography sessions run smoothly minding the door, the queue and taking donations.

Malcolm Hutchison – Ran the pub crawl for us on Friday and helped with set up work on Saturday morning.

Qthullu – It was Qthullu’s idea to go into the chip shop on the pub crawl and I think everyone appreciated the opportunity for food. Also thanks for saying a few words at Castle Ward about filming at Winterfell. And the MEAD.

Giant of Lannister – Worked security for us on Saturday and was part of our volunteer team helping out at Castle Ward on the Sunday. Also thanks for saying a few words at Castle Ward about filming at Winterfell.

Game of Thrones Joe – Not only was he on stage for the Water Dancing he also got everyone up dancing at the party and also helped out with security earlier in the day. Also a huge thank you for the promo video which was hilariously brilliant!

Ezeqiel – Also worked on door security for us.

EdricStorm – Yet another of our security guys.

Uvatha – Uvatha and his wife ran some security for us and also helped with set up.

Captain Lucy – Helped with the set up work in the morning and security and other jobs through the day.

Renate – from Germany for making the fantastic banners that adorned our hall.

Stephanie – for bringing the banners over on Friday and for the Haribo at a time of great need.

Jane Stewart – Silverjaime’s friend who helped set up the banners Saturday morning and did an incredible job even though she had not technically volunteered at all. Thanks Jane.

Pod – Climbed the enormous high ladder to put up the banners first thing in the morning.

MC Geek – Climbed the enormous high ladder in the evening to take the banners down.

Johan Sporre – For awesome tablecloth folding skills during the evening pack up, great job.

Maltaran – For morning set up and queue management throughout the day.

Williamjm – More morning set up help and assistance during the day.

Marc Addison and Diarmuid McCreesh – for being on our Extras panel, keep up the good work.

Samantha Hirst – Sam was also on the Extras panel, she helped on reception, was involved in panel assistance, guest liaison and helped out with the stationary shop on Friday, great job Sam.

JacMac30 – I really should not have singled out Jackie alone for praise on Saturday but she did do an incredible job for us with the stationary shop and solved two of our last minute problems with printing and sourcing art boards with just hours to spare.

Barry and Sid – thanks to my friends Barry and Sid for giving up their time to help with printing and laminating the membership badges the weekend before TitanCon.

Rimshot – A pity he could not be there all day but Rimshot did arrange the Extras panel for us and arranged for his brother to provide the audio and PA for us. Also thanks for saying a few words at Castle Ward about filming at Winterfell.

Damian – Rimshot’s brother who did an incredible job for us with the PA despite last minute additions to our requirements and being called back while he was having dinner to set up the microphones for Wireless Mystery Theatre.

Lots more groups and organisations to thank:

Wireless Mystery Theatre – a huge thank you to WMT for their performance on Saturday night.

Arkham Gaming Centre – another huge thank you to Phil Barnhill and the guys from Arkham for running the wargaming at TitanCon.

TableTopNorth – one more huge thank you to Gary Bingham and TTN who ran the RPGs and Star Trek mega game for us despite the space not being properly set up for it beforehand.

Dealers – we had 11 fantastic dealers and I believe they all had a good day making enough money to make it worth their while so thanks to all of you for coming along.

Guards! Guards! – a massive thank you to Leonard Boyd and David Brashaw for choosing to launch their game at TitanCon. They were huge supporters and advertisers on Twitter leading up to the event, thanks guys.

Following the Nerd – thanks to FTN for covering TitanCon.

Winter-is-Coming – another thank you for their immense coverage and bigging up of TitanCon.

Fan Favourites – for assistance and encouragement.

BBC Radio Ulster – for inviting Ian and myself as guests on their Arts Extra programme on Thursday evening and giving us plenty of support and coverage as well.

Belfast Newsletter – for coverage leading up to TitanCon.

Belfast Telegraph – for an article on TitanCon.

Irish News – again for an article on TitanCon.

Jessops Belfast – for looking after us with the photograph printing and sign printing at the last minute on Friday.

Kaizen Print, Belfast – for printing all of our postcard advertising for us.

Belfast Printers – for the fantastic programme, they pulled out all the stops providing another designer to work through the night for us when the original designer had a death in the family on Wednesday.

Tobin of Blackmajik Designs, Florida, USA – for the cover artwork used on the programme. Yes that’s Tobin from Westeros.

Turner Signs, Idaho Falls, USA – for printing the TitanCon banner for us.

Hodges Badge Company, Portsmouth, Rhode Island, USA – for the TitanCon ribbons used as advertising at Worldcon.

Potato Bred, Belfast – for the last minute supply of Art Boards.

Culture Night Belfast – for letting us be a part of their massive citywide event.

Joe Curran – for finalising the details of the walking tour which Bruce led on Friday evening.

McHughs – for the perfect venue for our Friday night event, just the right ambiance for the readings.

Bar 12, The Crescent – for providing us with somewhere to meet regularly, hold our committee meetings and was also a great venue for our press launch in early September.

Europa Hotel – for supplying an incredible venue and providing support and assistance throughout the day, even when we kept pushing beyond the bounds of our agreement with special requests and the times we were in some of the rooms. A huge thank you to all the Europa event staff.

Castle Ward – for providing a venue for our feast on Sunday and letting us come in and set up events all over the place. Also thank you to the owners of the Castle Ward cafe for shelter from the rain.

Caterers Andy Mulholland of The Plough, Hilsborough – for providing the delicious hog roast and for the serving girls being willing to get dressed up in medieval serving garb, thank you.

Belfast Bus Company – for two very friendly drivers willing to drive us around all day and go that extra distance to make the coach tour a success, thank you guys.

Wyvernwood – for planning the walking tour of Tollymore Forest even though he was away on a business trip and missed it, thanks Martin.

Tollymore Forest Rangers – for setting us off in the right direction from the car park in Tollymore Forest.

SCA – thanks to Paul O’Brien from the SCA for the archery demonstrations on Sunday. Don’t forget to sign up for more information if you’re interested, there is an SCA group near you somewhere in the world.

Clan Ulaidh – not sure that’s spelled correctly but thanks to the guys for coming down to put on the combat demonstration for us on Sunday and bringing those big shields specially for the occasion.

Lord Jo Favourite Spearwife – for getting Clan Ulaidh involved, for fighting with an axe, taking bruises in the name of entertainment, for the Dothraki singing and simply bringing the fun.

Masqueraders – thanks to all of our Masquerade entries who worked so hard with such short notice, the masquerade was an awesome success because of you.

Morchant – from Ancient Edge Reproductions/Irish Archaeological Research Ltd for donating the beautiful obsidan arrowhead which we awarded to the winner of the masquerade and for a slice of history at Inch Abbey during the Sunday coach tour.

Not forgetting our guests:

Peader Ó Guilín – for incredible presenting work not only at the masquerade but on panels throughout the day.

Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner – for being such incredible sports throughout the day with the long photo and signing sessions, and then being such great judges at the masquerade and still coming back later on to pick raffle winners and dancing the night away. Simply awesome in every way.

Kristian Nairn – for kind words and being a wonderful guest. And also for putting up with the rain on Sunday – even if he should know what the local weather can be like!

Miltos Yerolemou – for flying out late Friday and then back to London at 4 am on Monday ready for rehearsals for One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest at the Leicester Curve in Leicester – get yourself there and see it if you can!

Art Parkinson – thanks to Art and all his family for coming on both Saturday and Sunday. I know they had a great time and really enjoyed it.

Callum Wharry – thanks to Callum and his family for coming down Saturday afternoon. I intended to ask how Callum did in the football match that morning but never got round to it. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Aimee Richardson – and family for all their help even though only Aimee’s dad could make it on the day, I know Aimee really wanted to be there but was filming in Croatia instead, next year Aimee.

William Simpson – for being a great guest and willing to give up one of his precious day’s off for us.

Ben Hawkey and Eros Vlahos – for not being too freaked out when I fan stalked them on Wednesday evening at the Europa Hotel (OK they were a lot freaked out, sorry about that). They had flights home on Thursday, shame they could not stick around.

Also a huge thank you to the many many Game of Thrones cast members (who have to remain nameless, sorry folks) that wanted to be at TitanCon but could not because their schedule would not allow it. Hopefully next year we’ll have a proper reunion with all of you!

Ian McDonald – for being the perfect Guest of Honour. He was so good at our opening ceremony getting the crowd worked up brilliantly and his guest of honour speech was great even though I had to cut it short without the 5 minute warning since I was running late right then. Sorry about that and thanks for everything.

T.A. Moore – for being another great guest, thanks Tammy.

Gerard Brennan – for moderating his first ever panel, I hope it was a great experience.

Joeleen Ballance and her zombie volunteer – Joeleen did an incredible make up job with the zombie and also with the cuts and bruises for the realism in fiction panel.

Andy Luke and Paddy Brown – for the comic and sequential art workshop, great job guys.

George Clarke – for being a guest at TitanCon even though he is in the middle of shooting his new movie.

Elliot Grove – for the 99 Minute Film School via Skype. Everyone who attended said it was absolutely brilliant so thank you for that.

Jim Corr – for being an incredible photographer on the day and coming in at the last minute when our original photographer went down ill on Friday.

Neil Stringer – for filming the making of TitanCon documentary, good luck with the editing process!

The Other Ones – for all their assistance throughout the entire process of this convention.

Studio NI – another shout out for Bruce and all his help.

Brotherhood Without Banners – for support and allowing us to take this idea and run with it – even if Stego thought we would quit long ago.

National Lottery Arts Council – for funding without which we would have been a financial failure, massive thank you for your support.

HBO – for the best television shows in the world.

Parris Martin – for sending us such awesome prizes and all the wonderful support.

George RR Martin – for everything.

63. Fire And Blood
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Wow, thanks, Mountain Goat!

This sort of goes to show everybody how much work is involved in one of these massive events.

We are all immensely appreciative, man!

Thanks to everyone involved! More posts soon to come!

64. Fire And Blood
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

P.S. Mountain Goat:

I assume you’ve finally gotten 8 hours of sleep. (Not in a row, probably.)

Time to start planning for NEXT year’s TitanCon!

65. Elena Amici
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Get Joe on the show. That’s all i’m saying

66. Steve
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 2:04 am | Permalink

By the way, who’s the cute girl right behind Sophies head in the first photo? ;D

67. Hilda
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 4:29 am | Permalink

I thought that Maisie cut her hair shorter for season 2 ! She looks adorable! That is dedication to a role! What an amazing girl!

68. Brynn
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Maisie is SO CUTE!

Sophie is turning out to be a gorgeous girl.

HODOR! HODOR! HODOR!

Miltos does not look happy about to be skewered.

69. Isa
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Aryas Horse Charle,

YES. I agree with you so, so much. As an adult with an eating disorder I can tell you that even seemingly insignificant comments about your body can hit hard when you’re young. It’s confusing enough to be a teenager when the whole world ISN’T watching. She’s might already be uncomfortable as it is; most of us are insecure at some point, whether we’re famous or not.

That said, these pictures are great. I am officially jealous.

70. BieberFeiver
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Sophie is sooooooo beautiful it’s crazy and she looks so elegant… She will be a stunning adult

71. Winterdark
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

sjwenings: It’s neither. She dyed her blonde hair for the show.

OMG SHE’S A LANNISTER!