Dontos Hollard casting leaks
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting.

Tony WayFinally, some casting news! Well, news probably isn’t really accurate, more like a casting discovery. Made by, who else, The Rabbit. She has uncovered that the actor Tony Way is set to take on the role of Ser Dontos Hollard in the second season of Game of Thrones.

Dontos Hollard is a bumbling knight that befriends Sansa Stark, who remains at court in King’s Landing. Tony Way is an English actor, comedian, and writer, who is best known for playing various characters, in the hit BBC sketch comedy TV series Tittybangbang and playing the character Dave in the movie, Ali G Indahouse.

Winter Is Coming: Nice find! Way seems like a perfect fit for the role. And another piece of the casting puzzle falls into place…

1. Winterdark
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I’m waiting for someone to shout for Reek and the Reeds

Anyway nice casting news.

PS: I seem to be the first to post, which judging from earlier threads is apparently a big achievement(I really just was at the right place at the right time) so is there a prize?

2. jellydonut
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Why can’t they announce these?! ._.

3. Rukie
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Excellent! I’m not familiar with his work, but he looks like he could play “bumbling knight” well.

4. GaR
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Dontos gonna be a bit funnier in the show, I guess. In the book the dude’s just all kinds of tragic.

5. Ivan Popić
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

All hail Mighty Rabbit and her news-finding skills.

6. Felagund
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Kudos for TheRabbit! :)

BTW why do I have the idea, that HBO has one of the sloppiest customer supports… :/

7. Daniel Moitz
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

I was kinda picturing Dontos waayy older…

8. Steve the Pirate
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Good find, Rabbit!

Dontos is funny in the books too. Remember how Joffrey treats him? I won’t specify the scene, because it’s spoileriffic.

9. Galen Firestone
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Daniel Moitz:
    I was kinda picturing Dontos waayy older…

I do kinda agree with you there, but I gotta say, yeah, I can buy him as Dontos.

10. Dreamlife
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Haha, yeah, I was picturing someone around the age of the actor playing Barristan Selmy. Actually, I was picturing a drunk version of Ser Selmy, lol.

Anyway, glad Dontos is cast. His relationship with Sansa was interesting though I was so upset when it turns out he backstabbed her

11. Tickler's Gold
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll always see him as the paperboy from Spaced…
    That said, I think he’ll make a great Dontos!

12. Rheia Greyjoy
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Tickler’s Gold:
    I’ll always see him as the paperboy from Spaced…
    That said, I think he’ll make a great Dontos!

Have you seen Michael Smiley in the Kill List yet? I can’t possibly associate Dontos with him nowdays! :p

I’m just glad they didn’t cast James Corden. >.> It’ll be interesting to see how this guy gets on with the more tragic elements of Dontos’ character.

13. AKLBenjamin
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Thats about the right age for him. He was just a child when Barristan Selmy asked for his life to be spared after the Defiance of Duskendale.

14. Jeff Cary
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Not at all how I pictured Ser Dontos. But Nina seems to know what she is doing so bring on the fool!

15. PretendImNotHere
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Yes i saw Tony Wayon on the set,filming part when his life save Sansa and guy whas all in sweat.For me he is nice add for GoT.

16. Sapphireth
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

KNEW I recognised this face but couldn’t think from where until I checked his imdb… he was the paperboy that Daisy snogged in Simon Pegg’s SPACED at her failed flat party XD

17. Langkard
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Excellent! Thanks to The Rabbit!

18. Carlos
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

off topic – Ser Ilyn (Wilko Johnson) on Later with Jools Holland NOW!

19. Brad Villane
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

I always pictured Dontos looking like this guy Sadly, he is dead.

I’m sure this guy’ll be good

20. Starkgirl
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Why would he be around Selmy’s age? Selmy was an adult and Dontos just a little kid when Selmy asked King Aerys to spare Dontos’s life after Selmy saved the king from Duskendale and Aerys was murdering all members of the family involved.

21. Chris77
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I always pictured him older, because of Roy Dotrice making him sound like an Old, tired man…

22. OldGran
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Good job Rabbit! In Nina Gold we trust.

23. Gypsy
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Daniel Moitz,

Yeah, me too. I’m sure he’s supposed to be a lot older than this…..

24. Steve the Pirate
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

No, he’s not supposed to be that much older than this. Read the above comments about the Duskendale timeline.

25. userj
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 12:37 am | Permalink

yay casting news always makes me happy. Having Dontos gives us the opportunity for some great Sansa scenes (I was half afraid they’d somehow have The Hound take most of his material which wouldn’t really make any sense TBH).

26. Nathallya Licio
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 12:39 am | Permalink

What about the Reeds? I’m worried. =/

27. Daniel Moitz
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Brad Villane:
    I always pictured Dontos looking like this guy Sadly, he is dead.

I’m sure this guy’ll be good

Indeed, he had the perfect face for the character.

28. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 2:30 am | Permalink

I haven’t seen the stuff he was in, but merely physique-wise he looks just about perfect to me.

Great tunneling Rabbit! I just hope GRRM wasn’t preparing a Casting Clue for Tony Way and we actually solved it BEFORE he could post it :-)

29. Moe
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 2:46 am | Permalink

Hmm, I have always imagined Ser Dontos to be slimmer (and shorter). But appearances are always misleading. Let’s see how he’ll get on!

30. Astalnar
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 3:42 am | Permalink

I don’t know why in my mind he always looked like Don Quixote. Must be his epic skills.

31. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Astalnar,

I always saw him as that kind of figure too (at least until he betrays Sansa). He isn’t what I pictured, but I’m sure Tony will be great in the part! Dontos is a character I’m really excited to see on-screen.

32. Coltaine777
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

The Rabbit once again kicks ass !..don’t know how she does it…

33. Nimble Dick
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Dreamlife,

he did not backstab her, he was used by lttlefinger

littlefinger will win the throne

34. Pepi
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

He definately needs to keep the sideburns for the role. xD

35. Sid
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Remember that we see Dontos through Sansa’s POV, and since she is like 11 in the book, anyone over 25 is from the stone age…

1. [...] isn’t the most interesting casting news ever, but it is new news, so we’ll go with it. Per WiC, Tony Way has been cast as Ser Dontos Hollard, a.k.a everyone’s favorite lush! Erm.. not! But [...]

2. [...] later on in the story.If you’re read the book: is this how you imagined Ser Dontos to look?Winter-is-Coming.net reported this news. Posted on October 2, 2011 by Selina Wilken Tweetrelated posts HBO’s [...]

3. [...] las últimas gotitas que nos han llegado en forma de filtración a través de los compañeros de  Winter is coming ha sido el rostro de Dontos Holland, un borrachín torpe que pasa de ser caballero a bufón en [...]