Day 75: Casting update plus more set photos from Dubrovnik
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Filming, Speculation.

Lena Headey goofyWhat we have in Dubrovnik is what’s known as an “open set.” Or basically, anyway, as it seems anyone can just walk right up and snap away.

Most of the time it results in a lot of extras standing around, but sometimes we get some great candids of the actors either in or out of costume. Like the one of Lena Headey at right. You can see more photos of Lena Headey (who looks like she is having a blast) and others over at this Net.hr gallery.

One actress we have yet to see photographed on set is Emilia Clarke, although we know she is in town thanks to some fan photos. However, we have recently received word that last week she was filming a scene in which Daenerys meets with a character called the Spice King.

Nicholas BlaneNo character with that title exists in the book but I think it is a pretty safe bet that he is the leader of the Ancient Guild of Spicers, one of the merhcant groups vying for control of the city of Qarth. The Spicers Guild commands a very large fleet of ships, and although I don’t think Dany ever meets with them in the book, it is a change that makes sense. Actor Nicholas Blane will be playing the so-called Spice King in the series. Blane’s past work include appearances in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Tudors and The Illusionist.

Winter Is Coming: So it does sound like they are going to beef Dany’s storyline up a bit by delving more into the politics of Qarth than the book did. I think that’s a smart change and look forward to seeing it on screen.

1. SugarVampire
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

That’s great. More Qarth.

2. Sam
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Looks like they’re all having fun, which is great to see!

3. Nick Larter
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Any connection with the Spicers of Westeros? Heck he could be Jeyne’s long lost great uncle – in for a penny :D

4. jellydonut
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

i have faith in the team. i doubt they will screw things up.. i just wish they would announce more of the cast so we didn’t need to be so unsure about what’s what :c

5. gizzy
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

6. Shinyteapot
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

It seems they’re giving Dany more to do- which makes sense, she doesn’t have enough chapters in the book to fill a whole series.

I didn’t recognise Blane by name, but looking at his IMDB realise I’ve seen him in quite a few things. Shame he doesn’t look more like Oona- probably not related to the Westeros Spicers then!

7. John
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

gizzy:
    Refreshing to see Lena Headey’s hair looks much better and more of a natural blonde.Last season it looked like a cheap wig.

What the hell are you talking about ? I didn’t even notice it was a wig .

8. David Scotton
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

When I saw “casting news” I thought we were finally going to learn who’s playing Ygritte. How much longer can it be?

Fleshing out Daenerys’s story makes sense.

9. williamhperkins
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

What’s that on Jack Gleeson’s face? Looks like Joff gave himself a Mike Tyson-style face tattoo!

10. Straphe
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

They aren’t filming in Iceland as of yet. So that means no Ygritte. Soon though.

11. Roger
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I thought the Hound wore the Kingsgaurd armor and cloak? and in the pictures thats shit on Joffreys face LOL ha! love it.

Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

David Scotton:
    When I saw “casting news” I thought we were finally going to learn who’s playing Ygritte.How much longer can it be?

Fleshing out Daenerys’s story makes sense.

Soon, I think. Some of the actors have been over in Iceland already, apparently. (Eugene Simon asked John Bradley on Twitter if he was back from Iceland yet.) There was also that actress who we know was up for the role and really wanted it (Alice Henley) who recently tweeted that a part she had been hoping to land had been cast. Most seem to think she was talking about Ygritte. My guess is Ygritte is cast and the contract is being finalized as we speak.

And don’t worry, once we get word on that casting it will get it’s own post with a no-doubt-about-it headline of YGRITTE CAST. ;)

13. andrea
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I don´t remember if the leader of The ancient guild of Spicers is an important character. Anyone remembers? I guess they identify him with that name (Spice King) to avoid future confusion with other characters?
    Lena dear, I’d be happy too with that Lannister guard walking beside me (photo 6 of 16).
    There´s a photo of the Hound with his armor on the floor… it looks like a corpse cut in half. Very appropiate.

14. Shinyteapot
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Unless there are casting clues? We need something to keep us occupied!

Would be really nice to have confirmation one way or another about the Tullys and the Reeds too, though I suppose if any of them were in, they’d have to be cast soon? While both could be introduced later if necessary, it would be a shame to lose Jojen’s ominous prophecy concerning Reek and I’m still wondering where Jaime will be held prisoner if not Riverrun.

15. Carlos
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

williamhperkins,

16. Dave Brownell
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Carlos: It may be crap that was thrown at him, this looks like the filming of the part where he is atacked outside the castle in book 2, where the Hound rescues Sansa.

That’s exactly what i thought, the rabble looks a little mad and the kinsguard/the house look a little p.o. haha

17. knowsomething
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

SugarVampire,
    That’s almost as exciting as more Meereen.

18. Epic The Balls
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: There was also that actress who we know was up for the role and really wanted it (Alice Henley) who recently tweeted that a part she had been hoping to land had been cast.

I actually had to read the above 3 times very slowly to get it. It doesn’t confirm or deny that she wasn’t cast as Ygritte, just insinuates that Ygritte is definitely cast already, which we already know (we just don’t know who it is). I looked for the referred tweet but could not find it. But she did tweet on the 5th that she is reading ‘GOT’ for the sake of ‘escapism’.

EDIT: never mind, I found the tweet you are talking about. It ends with “Bad times :(” so I guess it’s definitely not her.

I just didn’t want to get too happy until I knew for sure. In yo’ face, Josh Dune.

19. Dave Brownell
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

NP: Shapes Of Insanity – Skyfire

Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls, yeah, I realize the wording is clumsy on that, but didn’t feel like spending the time to fix it. It makes sense, but takes a while to put together.

You’re right, it doesn’t confirm or deny anything, but it is something to take into consideration. All we know for sure is that A) Ygritte will be in this second season and B) they were auditioning for the part within the past month or so. The rest is speculation.

21. Epic The Balls
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I just saw the tweet you were talking about and it does end with “Bad times :(” so that’s good enough for me.

22. Hawk
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Lena looks so beautiful in those pictures… I’m in love.

23. Epic The Balls
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Hawk,

I agree about 50%. The one on the top headline of this page is not her best angle. And her lips have looked sexier. Then again, beauty lies in the eye of the, etc.

24. Epic The Balls
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Sorry but the fact that Alice Henley has not been cast as Ygritte is almost as good as casting news.

I hope Alice Henley can maybe find another part, even in GOT as I’m sure she’s a fine actress. I was just feeling very strongly about her being wrong for Ygritte.

And it must mean they found someone really amazing for the part!

25. The Instrumentalist
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Hawk,

Haha, I hear you. She’s such a beautiful woman, and vegetarian too. The wig also looks MUCH better in this scene. Gods…I can’t wait for season 2!

26. Epic The Balls
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Can I just say that the two pictures in the headline above are probably the least complimentary photos posted on this site since the original picture posted for Michelle Fairley when she was confirmed as Cat?

Liken it.

27. Epic The Balls
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

The Instrumentalist: and vegetarian too

Not sure how that part is a good thing. Doesn’t it mean she is more prone to pass gas? Or liberate air as the vegans say, those tofu loving sons of..

28. Sean Fan
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Is it just me or do those pics stay tiny like that over on that Net.hr link and don’t get bigger? Also….as I advance each photo, by the 4th one only a slice of the photo shows vertically. It just gets narrower and narrower as I advance. Can’t see anything past the 4th pic! Aaaaaaaaaaagh!!! What’s wrong?

29. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

It seems days of open set are over – there have been no new pictures since the filming wraped up on Pile Gates. I know, I have been looking…

30. julandro
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Eugene Simon on twitter. He is now in Belfast.

“Hear Me Roar .. is The Most Appropriate thing to say right now.;)…”
    http://twitter.com/ #! / Eugene_Simon

sex scene?

People speculate about a possible sex Scene. hahahahahaha

31. Bemma
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Who is the young knight in the gold/kingsguard armor (pic 7 of the Net.hr gallery)?

32. sjwenings
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Dave Brownell: i wish johnny depp would get in on this show! I don’t know why, but his character completely reminds me of Dolorous Edd… He’s such a versatile actor he could probably play ANY character in this series (except someone huge, like Belwas lmao). Plus, we seem to need a new big name actor ever since Eddard lost his head… :P

Really??

It does not really seem like you’re kidding, so okey:

There is no way in hell one of the biggest movie-superstars in the world would get on a tv-show.

And why do we need another big name actor? A star on Beans level is a very rare thing on a tv-show, and is never, ever needed, as history will show you.

Posted October 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

sjwenings, not to mention that Depp is on a whole other stratosphere when it comes to star power than Sean Bean.

Replacing Bean with Depp would be like replacing your broken-down Ford Taurus, that you only use to drive 5 miles to work every day, with a Maserati.

34. Dreamlife
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I like that they’re beefing up Dany’s storyline. It would be nice to get some scenes that could have taken place, but were not actually in the book.

35. Lala
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls,

As a vegetarian I hereby deny that rumour.

Posted October 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Sounds like their filming the Battle of the Blackwater tonight. Bryan Cogman just retweeted a tweet from @Cat_Taylor_GoT (some crew member that works on Thrones, I assume) that says: “It’s a nice night for a battle.”

37. The Rabbit
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

So, it seems they decided to have a night battle in the show.

38. HonestJerk
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

39. Rose
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Is it just me, or is Lena’s wig looking VERY nice this season?

40. Karazax
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

I don’t mind them adding more to Qarth. My concern is that there is so much other content to fit in. Clash of Kings is already a longer book than Game of Thrones, and there are the rumors of moving things up from book 3 into season 2. It isn’t the adding that bothers me, but rather what gets cut so they have time for these additions.

41. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls,

Your mean!

*cries in corner*

42. Joshua Taylor
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Is it just me or do the Kingsguard helmets look different….more badass? less dorkier?

43. Ed
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

LOL!!!

knowsomething:
    SugarVampire,
    That’s almost as exciting as more Meereen.

44. Jacob_M
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Surely Alice Henley’s tweet from the 6th confirms that she got a part on GoT?

“@addyleese I just worked with him he’s amazing!!! Ask him about the rules of the sea, and the joke about the actor and the cake ;)”

In reply to:

“addyleese Adam Leese
    So Robert Pugh is one of the actors I’ll be working with…one of britains finest jobbing character actors”

So she’s “just worked with” Robert Pugh, who is working on…

45. MAC
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

williamhperkins,

Looks like poo-throwing will be retained in the mob scene. Should be satisfying.

46. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    So, it seems they decided to have a night battle in the show.

Although it’s different from the books, that would definitely make for a nice spectacle… (and makes it easier maybe to increase the battle to book-proportions in postproduction?)

47. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Jacob_M,

Nice find, that girl sure is confusing with her infodropping.

Question for the technicians here: is it easier to do CGI in a dark environment? Could be on the reasons to a big battle at night.

48. Knurk
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

*one of the reasons to do a big battle

My bloody phone won’t edit.

49. dizzy_34
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Not looking good for Riverrun if they’re beefing up Dany’s storyline. Seems strange because it seemed like it was where a lot of the book took place. However thinking about it you can see how it can be left until later on.

50. userj
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

Well, it’s sort of in the books, in that Dany goes to visit each of the major groups to ask for ships, giving special gifts and stuff. All of it is told in flashback, as Dany thinks back on the frustrations she’s met with since arriving.

It should be very similar to what goes on in episode 2 of GoT S1. All of the Dany scenes in that episode were either entirely new or modifed from Dany’s remembrances except for the last one (Dany + Drogo sex).

So, I don’t really consider this “adding more Qarth.” It’s adapting what actually happened in Qarth from page to screen, by showing instead of telling what occurred.

51. StaceyJ
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 12:58 am | Permalink

I’m so loving all these pictures of S2.
    They just need to show some of Stannis and the others..

52. Felagund
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Hmmm… Has anyone told the Kingsguard that one wears a glove to wield a sword, eh? :?

53. user12
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 5:38 am | Permalink
  54. Idaan
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Wow, didn’t know that Lena can look so hot with blonde hair. Either they gave her a better wig, or it was her constant frown that ruined her for me in Season 1. Nice to see her so gleaming.

55. kissedbyfire
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Lala:
    Epic The Balls,

As a vegetarian I hereby deny that rumour.

Same here!

56. Shinyteapot
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I imagine the wildfire will look more impressive at night. Hoping for a really good battle!

57. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

I am sooo hoping they had the cameras rolling for this:

58. Thiago Slash
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I’m even more in love with Emilia Clarke, after those pics. I didn’t think that was possible.
    she’s just SO cute (besides being hot, of course)

59. Thiago Slash
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P:
    I am sooo hoping they had the cameras rolling for this:

whoa, that’d be pretty awesome!

plus, Rory with icecreams was epic.

60. It is I
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

They look happy <3

I wanna go home and stalk them 24/7!! :D

61. Ryan E
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

HonestJerk: Qarth is boring. It’s doesn’t need more, Dany & the dragons do nothing… Only interesting thing in Qarth is the House of the Undying. Leave it that way.

All the more reason to make it more interesting. You say it is boring… and you want to keep it that way? Look, they have to beef up Dany’s role this season, so they really need to make Qarth more interesting.

62. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Yes, there have been a lot of leaked photos (which is great!), but, as far as I know, we haven’t seen any of the new characters yet, like Stannis, or Melisandre, or Davos, etc… So there must be, at least, some degree of control on set. Leaking pics of Joffrey, Sansa, and Cersei isn’t much of a surprise. We’ve seen them all before and know what they look like… nothing new. But Stannis, Mel, Roose, Balon, etc… we can only imagine. Once someone leaks a pic of Mel, I’ll be happy. But then again, that’s probably because HBO has spoiled us rotten. Must!.. Have!.. More!… Game of Thrones!…

63. Wastrel
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins,

I assume that’s a matter of what’s being filmed. We’ve seen plenty of King’s Landing stuff, presumably because that’s what they’re filming in the places people can get to. We’ve seen hardly any Stannis-Melisandre-Davos, because they’re hiding in a cave in fermanagh somewhere.

64. Felagund
    Posted October 8, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins,

That is mainly because the Dubrovnik location is a less secure one than the Ireland or the Iceland one (However, based on James Cosmo’s word, the shooting has not started on Iceland yet)

65. SugarVampire
    Posted October 9, 2011 at 2:05 am | Permalink

knowsomething,

Ed,

More Qarth means more EC, possibly more Targaryan expositions. Even though ACoK was longer, the story arcs are much more straight forward compared to AGoT. AFfC and ADwD are failed books, more cutting and filling are needed if D&D gets to that point. Might as well practice more in season 2.

66. Wastrel
    Posted October 9, 2011 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Cutting, maybe, but I really don’t think they’ll need to do much ‘filling’ for ADWD!

67. clemintine
    Posted October 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

gizzy: Refreshing to see Lena Headey’s hair looks much better and more of a natural blonde. Last season it looked like a cheap wig.

I think they stole a page from the Borgias’s book. I can’t wait to see her improved hair on screen!

If they want complimentary photos, then HBO better give us the real stuff :)

68. Epic knows nothing
    Posted October 10, 2011 at 12:56 am | Permalink

clemintine: Epic The Balls: Can I just say that the two pictures in the headline above are probably the least complimentary photos posted on this site

If they want complimentary photos, then HBO better give us the real stuff :)

qft as the goat[se.cx] would say

69. metalgoddessamb
    Posted October 10, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

wow, those are some good behind the scenes photos. I’m glad we get to see them, but I’m just wondering how difficult it must be filming with all these tourists and pedestrians always hanging around. I’m wondering if there has been any instances of having to cut because somebody accidentally walked into a scene.

70. Starkgirl
    Posted October 10, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    So, it seems they decided to have a night battle in the show.

Interesting, I always imagined the battle being at night in my head. I didn’t realize it was supposed to be during the day. I’ll have to reread those chapters. I’m glad they’re having it at night though. It’ll make the wildfire look more impressive.

71. Starkgirl
    Posted October 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Varamyr Fourskins:

I bet they’re being much more careful about having people snap candid pictures of the new characters because they don’t want fans to get up and arms about the look being wrong. Which some portion of fans will do regardless of course, but there’s a big difference in how an actor looks in the proper lighting and make up than a candid shot would indicate, so they probably want to minimize chances that fans would overreact. I hope we get some official pictures soon! I’m dying to see what the actors playing Stannis, Melisandre, and Davos look like in character.

72. Kiara
    Posted November 23, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

We went there for our honeymoon b.u.t. 1 week AFTHER!!!!!!!!!!

73. Kiara Park
    Posted November 23, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

li abbiamo mancati di 1 settimanaaaaaaaaa!

1. […] this ‘Spice King’ could be I couldn’t find much, but I did find this quote from winter-is-coming.net: “… we have recently received word that last week she was filming a scene in which […]

2. […] photos, and reviews, check out our Game of Thrones Page.Source: Comicbookmovie, Dailyblam, Winteriscoming, Tvovermind /**/ google_ad_client = "pub-5723424651979958"; /* Film-Book, Bottom of Post, […]