Awards overview
By Hear Me Roar on in Awards.

With Scream Awards taken care of (congrats to the winners once more), and WiCnet Awards announced, the awards season has come to an end for this year. Just for you, dear readers, we have been keeping track of the nominations and sweet triumphs, summarizing them in the pdf file embedded below. What’s the tally? 14 awards for Thrones so far across the board (the crowning achievement of course being the two Emmys), coming from fans and critics alike, which is very encouraging. There is more to come in the first part of next year, and then season two is going to start garnering fresh nominations. I am putting my money on Thrones getting even more recognition the second time around! What do you think?

[Click the document image below to load the file.]

1. kerning
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I’d say so!

It’s become that cross-over hit all these other TV shows are referencing. By Season 2, I think we can expect a larger audience as the effect of these things slowly become realized by curious viewers.

I wish the DVDs would get out there before Christmas to further increase the fan base. Everyone knows a collector or two–you know, those guys and girls that buy season sets and insistently press it on others. :)

2. clemintine
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Lol, at Ned’s execution being the most unexpected plot twist. It’s only like 15 years old or so :p Besides which, Joffery should have been nominated for the best Monster and Villain.

3. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

So there are no more awards this year? So the next things to hope for for Game of Thrones is what? The Golden Globes and Saturn Awards I guess? Too bad the Saturn Awards are so awkwardly placed in the season. I guess next year Game of Thrones will be competing with the season 1 content at the Saturn Awards right when season 2 is airing.

4. The Instrumentalist
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I think that’s pretty good for our first year. Next year we’ll definitely be kickin’ everybody’s asses. :D And if we get a third season… it’s going to be so awesome!

Now get me a photo of Gwen in costume and I’ll be just peachy. Will anybody else be buying a Brienne poster? ;)

Posted October 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Ingemar Svensson, don’t know what the Saturn Awards are, but, yes, the Golden Globes are next. Submissions by Nov 4, nominees announced on Dec 15, the ceremony airs Jan 15.

6. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

The Saturns are science fiction/fantasy/horror awards.

7. Two Feathers
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Just found out HBO and NIScreen are showing the entire first season in a Belfast cinema over two evenings. Tickets are free !!! Details at NIScreen website. When you enter their draw you are in with a chance….be lucky.

8. Ed
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Huh… That’s weird, i watched the Scream Awards last night, and saw the Memorable Mutilation nominees, but “head covered in molten gold” was not on there!

Posted October 19, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

Thank you!

10. Johan Sporre
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

BAFTA is in February, right?

Great recap. Ultimately this must lead to us start guessing season 2 ratings :)

11. Ser Lemon cakes
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I think the show will get lots of love from the UK press/ awards groups and guilds due to the local crews/awesomeness of the show.

TV Guide have GOT up for the yearly vote for a cover fan favorite thing. GOT is coming near the bottom which I guess needs some supporting. I can only see it on their facebook pages (but am not in the US) http://www.facebook.com/#!/TVGuideMagazine?sk=app_262168817154382

12. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

And things can only get better! Well, the newcomers can hardly do a better acting job than the likes of Sean Bean, Harry Lloyd and Mark Addy, but I expect the entire production to step it up another notch, and the growing awareness for the show will lmost definitely lead to more awards next time around. Going back two years all of this would have seemed a most unlikely dream, but now we’re living it.

13. Bro
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Those Tubey Awards sound like they exist solely just to take the piss.

14. Dolorous Dave
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

“You win or you die”

So we’re gona kill everyone who didnt win an award? A bit harsh if you ask me, but I’ll defer to WiC on this one.

15. Sunspear
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Ed,

I wondered about that too. I think they just cut it to make some room for the Harry Potter tribute.

BTW Link to Sean’s and Leda’s acceptance speech.

16. Knurk
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

It’s been a great awards season. Though I loved season 1, I think season 2 has to improve big time to keep competing for the major awards. Breaking Bad has just had a phenomenal season with a few categories almost impossible to beat (Cranston, Paul and Best Show) and there’s a new little show called Homeland that has written ‘Emmy Awards’ all over it.

17. Clob
    Posted October 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I was going to mention the Golden Globes when I read “end for this year,” but I see it’s already been covered. I guess it isn’t technically during the calendar year but GoT’s submissions will be from S1. Whatever. :P It seems a little odd, but it feels like the show has attained more widespread recognition and awareness now in the ‘offseason’ than while airing. Hmm, maybe that isn’t all that odd. These award nominations & wins can only help of course. Those and references in other shows too. :)

18. Langkard
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:
    Langkard,

Thank you!

In case people are wondering why you’re thanking me….

I thanked HMR for the great information in that pdf file. I also added a comment to Two Feathers which included what I thought to be just a witty smartass political comment on my own local politics. That comment apparently aroused a hitherto unknown political censor here. Ah, well. HRM still did a wonderful job compiling that information. And I still wish I could go to Ireland to see that showing of Season 1, instead of being stuck here in the vast intellectual wasteland of Texas.

19. Luana
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Langkard,

I read your smartass political comment before it disappeared, and snorted with laughter. So you successfully amused at least one person!

Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Clob,

Yes, S1 nominations and awards will continue in the first half of the year, and we’ll keep updating the table. This is just an intermediary overview (still impressive, I think). In June or so, we will have come full circle and I’ll start a new file for season 2.

21. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:40 am | Permalink

Luana:
    Langkard,

I even commented on it, saying I thought it was brilliant and noted that the same could be said about politicians from anywhere, but that got censored as well…

In a way I can understand that WiC et al. want to keep this board free from political discussions, but in another way I find it very very sad that they believe we couldn’t have a grown-up discussion about such a thing. Saddest of all is that probably they are right – someone might well have taken personal offense at Langkard’s witty remark and the discussion could easily have spiraled out of control into the depths described by Godwin’s law. Very very sad indeed…

22. Pau Soriano
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Damn I missed Langkard comment! Can someone reproduce it now that the “americanos” are sleeping? :P

23. Hilda
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 7:31 am | Permalink

ITA! I think season 2 is going to be the season that will really get the show recognized by more viewers and more critics! Its gonna be a great season!

24. metalgoddessamb
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

I don’t know if you guys are aware but voting has opened for the People’s choice awards and GoT is listed in two categories. You can also use a “write in” vote feature to nominate anyone you want in certain categories.

Posted October 20, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Go and vote for some GoT actors as write-ins! :)

26. andrea
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: I even commented on it,

I also made a comment right after yours because I was amused by Langkard´s comment. Mine was a silly joke. I don´t think anyone has been offended by that. I had no interest in talking serious politics here . I actually laughed at my own country. But I understand that he has to wipe us.
    Maybe Wic should censor these comments as well. I guess that is the purpose of censoring comments: no more talk about it. (I hope not because I´m too proud to bear it). But it seems that we are stubborn people.
    Sorry Wic (or HmR)

27. Eric DeBruin
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I’m still disappointed that Maisie Williams wasn’t nominated for anything.

While her role wasn’t as large as some of the other roles, I think her acting was superb even compared with Dinklage’s.

28. Sean Fan
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Two more important awards will be coming up in January….Golden Globes (Jan. 15th) and The People’s Choice Awards (Jan. 11th). I think GOT will have a better chance at some more wins at the GG than the other awards. With the PC award winners being solely voted on by the fans, that one may end up getting a bunch also.

29. Langkard
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

metalgoddessamb: Lang

Nice!

Off to vote!

30. Langkard
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Eric DeBruin:
    I’m still disappointed that Maisie Williams wasn’t nominated for anything.

I am a big Maisie fan. I’ve written her in for the People’s Choice awards. I’m hoping that she and some of the other young stars of GOT get more recognition after next season, with nominations in at least the Supporting Actor categories. Not just Maisie, but also Issac and Sophie and the slightly older but still awesome group such as John Bradley and more. Sadly there just aren’t enough categories to go around for such an enormous cast of amazing actors. And next season the cast grows with the addition of even more great actors. Maybe we just need more “Ensemble Cast” categories?

31. Ben of thrones
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

The Instrumentalist, I definitely will. Brienne rocks the house.

32. Sean Fan
    Posted October 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Looks like we can vote for GOT in two categories for the People’s Choice Awards. Disappointed that there doesn’t look like any of the actors/actresses got nominated. You have to write their names in (fat chance that they’ll win that way). Really ticks me off.

The TV Guide cover poll looks like you can vote as often as you like if you are a member of Facebook.