TITANCON: Evening shindig
By Hear Me Roar on in Events.
  • If you had been there, you would now have tons of memories. Some of you were, and do. The rest are limited to a few snippets in this post that do not do the Saturday evening goings-on justice.
  • At the end of the long day (see our entire TitanCon coverage here), some people gathered to watch an episode of Doctor Who, others started preparing for the masquerade, while others still (including me) really needed to have some dinner.
  • The masquerade, MC’ed by Peadar Ó Guilín and presided by Sophie and Maisie, was jolly good fun. See my little gallery of contestants for proof. The big winner was Jackie, ey-kay-ey JacMac30, with her original Bran&Hodor costume idea. Another favourite of mine was Sam’s heart tree costume.

• The evening continued with a double feature preformance by the amazing Wireless Mystery Theatre, treating us to two pieces by H.P. Lovecraft. The chills easily rivaled those from the ASoIaF prologue.
  • The raffle was a success, though many winners were not present to collect the prizes straightaway (much to Maisie’s frustration, she really didn’t have any luck with the draw that night). Jackie won a copy of Benioff’s City of Thieves. Shucks, I really wanted that one!
  • Good time was had by everyone present, as we enjoyed the company of each other, the guests, WiC.net commenters, Jackie, Sam, The Rabbit, Johan, Qthulhu, Joe, and many others, dancing away (Maisie and Sophie were cutting the rug full-on), and drinking mead Saxon-style. Join us next year for more!

Joe's infamous Horn of Winter (Photo by Joe himself)

Posted October 24, 2011 at 9:15 am | Permalink

That is one large horn of mead.

Posted October 24, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

For the record, it wasn’t full, and I didn’t drink the whole thing :D

3. plop_
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Sorry for the OT, but : Have you already seen this ? ( http://dragoninstall.deviantart.com/art/A-Song-of-Ice-and-Lemoncakes-264481091 ) – credits to “dragoninstall”

4. Qthulhu
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

For the record, it *was* full at one point…

By your mead bottles combined, I AM CAPTAIN CAMPO! GOOOOOOOO CAMPO!

Clearly not enough mead involved, but then we DID have to get up earrrrrrrrrly the next day….

5. Langkard
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Live Lovecraft? I am apopleptic with envy, as a huge fan of the true master of horror since I first read things like “Rats in the Walls” as a child. I have never heard of his works being done that way. Wow.

6. Violentos
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Now I want to read City of Thieves.

7. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I absolutely LOVE Jackie’s Bran&Hodor costume – well deserved victory!

8. Johan Sporre
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I’m not a huge fan of Lovecraft (I’ve only played the board game Arkham Horror some), but I must say that piece by Wireless Mystery Theatre was something extraordinary.

Posted October 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Violentos:
    Now I want to read City of Thieves.

It’s a really good book. Everyone should read it.

10. Horatio
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

What happened to the thread about those “cool” shirts?

11. Knurk
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Horatio,

my guess is they realised that it looked too much like another design on the internet. No need to bitch about it any further here.

Posted October 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Horatio, as Knurk said, once I saw that someone else had a similar t-shirt, I pulled ours. I didn’t want to be accused of ripping off someone else’s idea (granted, it is a very popular t-shirt design, so I’m not surprised someone else had the same idea as us). We have plenty of other design ideas and we’ll debut a new shirt soon. :)

Posted October 24, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I’m reading Lovecraft right now for the first time. That sounds really cool!

14. Jambo
    Posted October 25, 2011 at 4:45 am | Permalink

Speaking of t-shirts (this was probably linked earlier/in other posts, but oh well), the web comic Hijinks Ensue has shirts of their GoT/Calvin and Hobbes strip available.

15. Jackie MacPherson
    Posted October 25, 2011 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Still sad I missed the Wireless Mystery Theatre but I was parting ways with Hodor at the time ;) Fingers crossed they’re back next year!

If you want to see some pics of the WiCnetters shakin’ their thing on the dance floor check out my blog of the weekend :)

Oh and here’s my pics on Flickr:

p.s. I can’t take credit for the picture of HmR with the horn (so to speak!). I did take one but that’s not mine. ;)

Posted October 25, 2011 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Jackie MacPherson,

Congrats again :) do take a look at the blog and photos, people.
    Oh, thanks for the heads up about the photo … whose is it then? Taken by Joe himself, then? Sorry for the confusion. Campo, we need you :)

17. Zack
    Posted October 25, 2011 at 7:52 am | Permalink

I’m sure it was an unforgettable experience. Luckily I had the good fortune to get to meet a lot of you last spring at the New York shindig. So I know the awesome feeling, even if it was on a smaller scale.

And Jackie, yes, what a great costume!

18. Kezia
    Posted October 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Jackie MacPherson: Lordy! I’m on the front page of WiC.net! Cheers for the compliments on the costume. You’d laugh if you’d heard me getting ready. I really started to feel a complete idiot as there were some lovely gowns and outfits and here I was in a plastic box hugging a pillow! ;)

Jackie, you looked fab and totally deseved to win!! (I was the female half of the Wildling ‘comedy’ double act, btw…) Considering it was a pretty quick turnaround from the announcement of the masquerade to the actual event there wer some seriously good costumes – looks like my partner-in-crime and I will have to up the anti for next year!!

19. Epic the This
    Posted October 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Jackie MacPherson: Oh and here’s my pics on Flickr:

One all access pass to TitanCon: $0
    Two or three Redbreast on the rocks: $12
    One Targaryen Tee: $29

Snapshot of a strutting Rabbit gettin funky down on the dance floor: priceless

20. GameofThronesJoe
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

LOL yep, that was my photo!

Posted October 27, 2011 at 5:13 am | Permalink

GameofThronesJoe,

Cool, sorry for the mi- up. I have a faint recollection I got it from you, now :)

Great photo, BTW!