More details on the Game of Thrones RPG
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

Game of Thrones 16-bitYesterday, at the X-Summit Conference in Toronto, Game of Thrones producer Vince Gerardis and Cyanide Studios director Yves Bordeleau, held a panel discussing the upcoming Thrones RPG. As we learned a couple months back, this game will be tied into the series, featuring music, voice talent, and artwork from the show.

Much of the talk from the panel was centered around the licensing of the game. Apparently EA had gaming rights to the Ice & Fire series, but let it lapse shortly before HBO attained the TV rights. Cyanide Studios then acquired the gaming rights, and begun developing their two games, not knowing if the TV series would get picked up or not. Once it did, HBO wanted full gaming rights to the series, but ended up having to partner with Cyanide since they already had attained the rights. Still, HBO plans to release two social games based on the show, most likely on Facebook, to launch in conjunction with season two. Gerardis revealed that HBO will also support the Cyanide RPG, via marketing and promoting, as well as the above mentioned IP rights (music, logo, etc.).

As far as the gameplay and storyline is concerned, Cyanide developed their own story, with the help and input of George R. R. Martin. As previously revealed, the story follows two new characters, one a Nights Watch recruit, the other a member of a small house. The plan is for the story to follow the book’s convention of telling the story in chapters while switching back and forth between the two character’s viewpoints. They debuted a trailer for the game, which was recorded and uploaded to Youtube by @noizangel (thanks to Nicole also for her livetweeting of the panel, which is where we got most of the above info). The trailer embedded after the break.

Winter Is Coming: It’s hard to judge in the video but this game actually looks halfway decent. Hopefully we will get a hi-res version of the trailer soon. I didn’t get the RTS game, but I might just get this one, if for no other reason than to see a 3D animated version of James Cosmo kicking ass and taking names.

1. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

So there won’t be any Reeds or Blackfishes in the game? Not interested… (just joking, just joking)

2. Jamie Goldenjoystick
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Hopefully better than the RTS game which came out a month ago. What a total joke that was. Crap graphics, poor gameplay, no scale, no attention to the lore, broken politics, small battles . . . urgh it just sucked so much.

3. Daniel Westerlund
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

It doesn’t look bad so far from the video and I’m intrigued to know more. A RPG is the way to go for a game in the series.

4. Clob
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

This, without surprise, looks like it will be far more inline with what ASoIaF readers and GoT watchers will enjoy. And, huh, James Cosmo makes a good game character too. :)

5. SandSnake
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

So…the PC can cast magic, it looks like? Huh. (Though if it’s fire-only magic that’s exclusive to an explicitly Red Priest/Pyromancer/Maegi PC, color me THRILLED. I can dream, right?)

6. Daniel Westerlund
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I know Bethseda was interested at one point of making a game based on the series but turned down to work on Skyrim but just imagine either them or Bioware working on ASOIAF game. It would’ve been amazing.

7. EvilPicnic
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Daniel Westerlund:

We can dream. Even if they hypothetically had the rights, Bethesda would never do it because TES is their baby and there would be too much overlap, and I doubt BioWare want to go back to games based on other media when they’ve had such success with their homegrown IPs in recent years.

Any news on which platform it’ll be released on? I’m assuming PC, but is there any word of a possible console port?

Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

EvilPicnic: I really hope this turns out better than the RTS, but it is the same studio. Maybe they’ll learn from their mistakes.

9. SJ
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

The Game of Thrones RTS had some interesting features for the genre (namely, the treachery-based element of conquest actually being encouraged in in RTS), but it was pretty mediocre in other regards. I get the impression that Cyanide isn’t that big of a powerhouse when it comes to gaming, so I’m pretty much willing to lower my standards, so long as I enjoy myself in the long run.

10. Daniel Westerlund
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Yeah that’s true but man were Bethseda this close to making it. I think that since this has much of going into it that one can definitely expect that it’ll come to the consoles as well.

11. Dekar
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Graphics doesn’t look any better than the RTS… But at least soundtrack sounds nice

12. Marco Reist
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

i can’t speak french but i foud this

13. Zack
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Surprising, but that actually looks decent. When it releases, I’ll definitely be checking reviews for it. Too bad the RTS is apparently no good.

14. TiploO
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

“Same studio, but a completely different team. The RPG is being developed by Cyanide in Montreal, the RTS was done by the team in France.”

> RPG is developped in France and RTS was in montreal.

Posted October 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

TiploO, ah ok. Got them mixed up. Thanks for the correction! :)

16. Dale Gribble
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

At the 1:00 mark it looks like George makes a cameo as a maester

17. Violentos
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

It’s looking better than I thought it would be, I’ll admit. I just wish they would have made it an MMORPG.

18. Winterdark
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Dekar,

The soundtrack is the music from the last scene of season 1.

Judging by the trailer I don’t have high hopes for the game. Way to much fighting and not a great deal of scheming. I want to plot my enemies death. Not kill them myself! Also not very much in the vein of GRRM. There should be at least 6 different PCs would it even come close to something GRRM could’ve written. This looks more like a weak Dragonage Origins or any other fantasy RPG.

19. Chris77
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Well, I would rather have a 16Bit RPG like GoT Laughs one… Would dig out my Old Nintendo for that…

20. João Amaral
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Damn you EA!!!

21. dizzy_34
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

There’s potential there. I couldn’t tell if those were cut clips or actual game play. If it’s game play it’s pretty impresive. Don’t know if I’ll pick it up though.

22. saluk
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Ah the joy of being able to blame EA for video game problems, even on titles they are not involved with :)

Yeah after the rts I’m not hopeful on this one. At least hbo will give it some marketing. The rts barely even got reviewed.

23. Icebird
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Is this just a PC game? Or will it also make an appearance on consoles? Not a PC gamer.

Looks interesting

Edit: Did a little digging and found this on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/143/14349079.html

Looks like it will also be on Xbox 360 and PS3 with a targeted release of spring 2012.

24. Christopher Woods
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

It will suck and break all our hearts.

25. The Nose of the Imp
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

If you watch closely at the end of the video, you can see the PS3 and xbox icon in the boton of the screen. So yes Winter is Coming on PC and consoles.

26. George DW
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34:
    There’s potential there. I couldn’t tell if those were cut clips or actual game play. If it’s game play it’s pretty impresive.Don’t know if I’ll pick it up though.

It looks like engine-rendered graphics, not prerendered CG cutscenes, but that doesn’t mean it’s actual gameplay.

27. Cyan
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

João Amaral:
    Damn you EA!!!

I agree with Mass Effect and Dragon Age under there belts that would have been awesome for them to grab this.

28. Langkard
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

The RTS game was substandard, at best. I wish GRRM had waited a bit before selling the rights to make a video game. The extra publicity would have given him more options on where to sell the rights. Cyanide has not impressed so far, and has a pretty lackluster history in game design in the first place. Hopefully the other studio will do a better a job with the RPG version.

On the subject of EA, we can at least be grateful that Cyanide or anyone other than EA is doing the game. EA is evil. They are the Gordon Gecko of the game industry.

29. Flouride
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Daniel Westerlund:

If BioWare made the game, there would be 145 different romance options and the game would follow their formula of getting allies (4 factions) to help you againts whoever the badguy would be. And after Dragon Age 2, I’d rather not have BioWare touch ASOIAF -license.

30. Superdeluxe
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Flouride: If Bethesda made the game, they would make a great environment and all, but they don’t have any decent writers. So every conversation would be more or less annoying. Because that’s how Bethesda works, they don’t want massive designing/writing team working on their games and it shows.

And it would be buggy to hell and back (Look at Fallout 3 and Fallout:NLV

31. JonSnow'sBastard
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Hit B repeatedly to thrust.

32. Daniel Westerlund
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Flouride,

DA2 is more of a different direction than one expect from Bioware but I still liked it. The way that Bioware wove the RPG-element into their games which both fans and newcomers can enjoy and the writing in their games are top-notch.

33. lecoyfish
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

In all honesty, if HBO got the gaming rights we would have ended up with a much more lavish game since they would be able to afford one of the rising game production companies, and would have made sure to give it a longer production period.

Idk, the graphics turn me off… I wish the team behind Castlevania Lord of Shadow could work on this. Boy it would have been an amazing finished product.

Though we can’t try to fix a brand new computer without even testing it.

34. Winterdark
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

I wish Funcom would’ve made the game. If anyone can tell a good, multi layered, complex story like ASOIAF it’s Ragnar Tornquist.

35. Scott
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

No way will I buy this title. After throwing my money away on the horrible and unplayable RTS title, I’ll never trust this game publisher again.

Maybe if they ever fix the million issues with the RTS, I’d consider it, but at this point, there is just no way I’ll reward Cyanide for the bad work they’ve done.

36. Matt Chung
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 3:08 am | Permalink

2 characters? I hope the cast grows bigger as the game continues, otherwise they may as well have only made 1.

37. Kroket
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Haven’t read the article yet but avoid like the plague. Let’s hope Cyanide goes broke very soon so a respected studio can take over. I never heard of Cyanide before but i wouldn’t believe people who said how bad they sucked so i bought the RTS for 35 euro (enough of a clue every game is 50 nowadays…) and played it for 1 hour. Worst game i have ever played by far which hurts me because its ASOIAF!!

Edit: WO!! HBO will support this! Bad Bad move might hurt the TV-series to be associated with this!! Such a pity that this studio acquired rights and now they are forced to work with them. How long do they have rights?! Please let it be just for these games. Please George we want good ASOIAF games…

38. John
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Kroket:

A lot of movies had bad tie in games and it didn’t hurt them so why should this do it ?

39. Jeff Cary
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

there is an RTS game? where and how do I buy this?

Posted October 28, 2011 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Jeff Cary,

There is. And you don’t want to, trust me :/

41. Steve Coulson
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

I always kinda wished that the team behind Infinity Blade would take a crack at Westeros on iOS. That’d be awesome.

42. Gulvplanke
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

CD Projekt Red should have made this. The Witcher series is pretty much the gaming equivalent of ASOIAF

43. Flouride
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Daniel Westerlund:
    Flouride,

BioWare is only the 2nd best when it comes to writing rpgs. Obsidian easily beats BioWare when it comes to that aspect of games.

44. vuron00
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Flouride,

Hopefully, we’ll be able to add 38 Studios and BHG to the list of good RPG writes once Kingdoms of Amalur is released.

It is just sad that Cyanide got the rights to this. At least RPG players will have Skyrim and KoA to play instead of this piece of crap.

I never understood why GRRM was so excited to get Cyanide. It was like the decision just came out of the blue.

45. Glenn
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Wudda shudda cudda. No point focusing on who should be making it the fact is we have to support it. If we don’t buy this one then they may not make anymore. And a bigger better gaming company wont come swooping in to buy out an unsuccessful franchise no matter how big the tv show is.

46. Harry The Heir
    Posted October 29, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

It would be good if you could choose what house you belonged to or whatever. Tyrell FTW

47. rorschach-
    Posted October 30, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Gulvplanke,

Agreed. If only I could have some Russian love into making this game it would be damn awesome. Maybe half way through Witcher 2 at the moment and can’t wait to play more. But fingers crossed that this will be good. As always I’m waiting for reviews before buying.

Flouride,

Shame that Obsidian/Black Isle/Troika isn’t really anymore that good at making the games. If you let me take off my nostalgia-goggles they actually never have been. Plot and characters and the “insides” of the games are usually very good, but mechanics, programming and the outsides are not so great. They mostly make games for engines/brands others have already established.

48. Flouride
    Posted October 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

rorschach-:

Flouride,

Well that’s one opinion. I still think Alpha Protocol was one of the best games the year it was released. Too bad American media crushed it, because it wasn’t full on Mass Effect clone. And I would argue that all of their sequels have been better than the original games. Yes, even Kotor 2 and especially Fallout: New Vegas.

They have their own engine and I think they got games coming out on it in 2012/2013. They already released Dungeon Siege 3 utilising that engine.

And what comes to the games they are releasing, it’s pretty much up to the publishers. They are an indie rpg company that has been making games for years. The fact that they have survived so long making games for somewhat of a niche market is amazing alone. It’s too bad most of their games have been sequels to others’s IPs, but that’s just the sad state of the gaming business in general. New IP is a risk for the publishers and not that many are willing to take the risk, especially with a RPG, since the genre isn’t actually that popular among the masses.

49. Doug
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Jamie Goldenjoystick,

Agreed. that was a terrible game. I wasted money on that POS.

50. Adam Whitehead
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Flouride,

A Chris Avellone-penned ICE AND FIRE game would be something to behold. Instead, Obsidian are working on the new WHEEL OF TIME RPG, which should be an interesting project (if not as cool as an ASoIaF game).

Gulvplanke,

Agreed, CDProjekt have created something very special with the WITCHER games, especially the second one, and something I think ASoIaF fans would enjoy a lot.

Unfortunately in both cases, it wasn’t Obsidian or CDProjekt who got the rights :(

51. Flouride
    Posted November 1, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:
    Flouride,

Don’t think they’ve actually even started working on the project. Last I have heard of the project Red Eagle Games was still trying to acquire funding for the project. And that was months after they announced Obsidian would work on the project, yet no work had been done on it.

52. John
    Posted November 6, 2011 at 2:04 am | Permalink

Hmm…I’m definitely intrigued by this. I’ll wait and see what the reviewers say before I buy it, but an RPG set in Westeros does seem like a good idea. And the best CRPG I’ve ever played (Betrayal at Krondor) was set in a world of an already-established fantasy author (in that case, Raymond E. Feist’s Midkemia). And it was made by a developer (Dynamix) that had no previous experiences making RPGs. So it can be done. I guess we’ll see.

1. [...] More details on the Game of Thrones RPG – Winter-Is-Coming.net AKPC_IDS += "18712,";Popularity: unranked [...]

2. [...] Winter is Coming hat neue Details zum Game of Thrones RPG. [...]

3. [...] The game is being produced by Vince Gerardis and Cyanide Studios director Yves Bordeleau; it promises the ability to explore Westeros and play as multiple characters in multiple timelines. Winter-Is-Coming.net has more details: [...]