MGoT: Cat talks cats
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

Paint Hall walkwaysA quick update to Making Game of Thrones last night, in which writer’s assistant and blogger extraordinaire Cat Taylor discusses the cats that live in the Paint Hall.

Sometimes life really does imitate art. Arya chased cats in King’s Landing, and I spend much of my time in the Paint Hall sets looking for the studio cats. There are about five (though no one is totally sure exactly how many are hanging around) and under the sets and the rafters, they have their very own playground. The cats take care of many of the mice, and sleep wherever they choose. I always like to think that when we shut down and the building is quiet, the biggest cat – a huge ginger tom called Spartacus – sleeps on the Iron Throne.

Winter Is Coming: Now I’m going to be looking for stray cats in the background of the interior scenes.

1. Janeh227
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Is that a picture of CAT walks?? Ha -I am first!

2. Lisa
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Can’t we get one of the cats to wear a collar with a little camera attached to it?

Posted October 31, 2011 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Lisa,

That’s an idea! we need a feline infiltrator.

Posted October 31, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

They need to rename the big cat into something more appropriately Westerosi (you can’t have him named after a competing show on a rival network!). Balerion would be a good name, the Paint Hall cat may not be black like the Balerion in the books, but he is huge.

5. Queensmoot
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:02 am | Permalink

So cute! I wonder if they have a feral one-eared tom…

6. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Pictures!

7. G_Lee
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

When do you guys suppose the first trailer or proper teaser will be released? Can’t really remember when we got the first treat last time… I mean there’s been like NO real news at all for the past few weeks.

8. OldGran
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

The big male should be Jaime and his sister should be Cersei because these ally cats have the morals of Lannisters

Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink

G_Lee:

Willing to bet a lot of money it will be prior to the Boardwalk Empire season finale on Dec 11th.

10. the goat
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Ser Pounce!
    Lady Whiskers!
    Boots!

Are those cats being really loud all the time, constantly stomping around, driving you crazy?
    Think there’s no answer? You’re so stupid! There is!
    Kitten Mittons!
    Finally there’s an elegant, comfortable mitton . . . for cats.
    You’ll be smitten!

11. G_Lee
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Sounds pretty reasonable…. I’d love to get a little tease in the next couple of weeks though :D

12. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Lisa,

Splendid idea! The only person able to catch cats like that is Maisie and I’m sure we can bribe her into not acting. Let’s fix a constant wireless livestream and it would be the first Big Brother* I’d watch!

(* I was gonna come up with a GoT themed alternative for BB but inspiration let me down)

13. Lisa
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Well, I think the Westeros equivalent of Big Brother would either be Varys or Bloodraven.
    And a drawback for the cat-cam would of course be that we would see mainly fur, as the cat would be sleeping all day. ;)

14. raegenhere
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

maybe something with weirwoods…

15. The Rabbit
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

meow meow

16. Galen Firestone
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Their cats are doing something useful. My cat is attacking my air conditioner for some reason. There’s no justice in the world, I tell you.

17. Oi!
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

But wont HBO be pushing the new drama Luck (Dusty Hoffman) that starts airing in January 2012.

Posted October 31, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Oi!, well yeah, they usually debut a bunch of trailers prior to big season premieres and finales. So Luck, Treme, Game of Thrones, etc. will likely all air a trailer.

19. Wolf of Dorne
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

A cat named Spartacus sleeping on the Iron Throne?

My badass-meter just exploded :D

20. Cristian Far Arnedo
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,
    I think (and I hope I’m wrong) that they’ll show a teaser (of course a more substantial one than the last) and dedicate most of the pre-show time to preview Luck, and then, in January, during this show’s premiere they will show a “making GoT season 2″ along with our first trailer.

21. Langkard
    Posted October 31, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Cats! That’s it! The new Season 2 replacement for sexposition! D&D are geniuses. Instead of gratuitous sex to explain the back story, random shots of Paint Hall cats will appear with background text. Sort of a GOT version of LOLcats.

22. loco73
    Posted November 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Hmmmmmm, cat stew anyone….

23. Jess
    Posted November 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

So cute!!!

Winter Is Coming,

I just took in 2 black strays, and would totally have named one “Balerion” if they were boys. But nope, mom and baby girl. I’m taking them to get spayed as campaigned by Tyrion Lannister! :D