Rumor: HBO to order two more seasons, film them back-to-back
By Winter Is Coming on in Rumors.

A Storm of Swords US paperbackWe reported on this in another post, but the rumors continue to swirl and so we thought it deserved its own post. We are now hearing from multiple sources that HBO plans to order both seasons three and four and film them back-to-back (à la Lord of the Rings). It has already been confirmed that A Storm of Swords would be covered in more than one season. From what we have heard, much of the film crew in Northern Ireland has been told of this plan and has been advised to expect nine months of filming next year.

Winter Is Coming: I have no doubt that this is an option that HBO is exploring, perhaps even leaning towards, but I don’t think it is a done deal just yet. HBO likely won’t announce anything official until season two begins, so they could change their minds before then.

It does make sense though, to do it this way, as they’ve already said they will be splitting book three into multiple seasons. This way they get the whole of the book filmed in one go, saving on production costs and keeping the kids from aging in between seasons.

1. John Engedal
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I hope it happens! It seems very sensible, especially the part about the children aging :)

2. Joe Blanche
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Puh Puh Puh Please say it is so!

3. Meg
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I curious if child labor laws would prevent this from happening.

4. Mr. Crow
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink

It’s kind of an all-or-nothing deal, really. D&D have probably strongly communicated that ASoS can’t be filmed unless they’ve got two seasons to work with, and HBO agrees, but can’t logically commit until the numbers from the season 2 premiere come back.

So yeah, if a third season gets confirmed, it’s a safe bet we’ll get the fourth as well.

5. Dan M
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Child labor laws have a lot to say about what kind of hours kids can work in a day, but I don’t believe they say much about how long a period a child can be employed. As long as the kids are getting proper schooling and care, it’s all good. Besides, the schedule would include periods in which any given child actor would not be needed.

Filming the seasons back to back would also give HBO the option of airing season 4 earlier, thus shifting the airing of all future seasons to a different time of year… Winter, for instance.

6. Clob
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Meg: I curious if child labor laws would prevent this from happening.

The children wouldn’t be filming for nine months straight. :) Art can do all his scenes in a weekend. :P

The more ‘heresay’ we hear about this happening the better is what I think. It would be fantastic if during the week after S201 they announced a green light on seasons 3 and 4!

7. OhDanyBoy
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

So if this happens… do you think we have a delay between the filming and showing of the seasons? For example, we would get the 3rd season spring 2013 as planned, but when does the second half of the third book get shown? Season 4 in spring 2014? Winter 2014? Then keep filming a full year ahead of time, to allow for a longer post-production schedule as the CGI becomes more and more complex and necessary in later seasons.

Any ideas on this?

8. Adrià Seguer Vicente
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:30 am | Permalink

great news! i hope that in that case, we don’t have to ten months to see season 4, and we can see some season in spring and some in autumn….

9. Starkgirl
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

How exciting! I hope the series has strong DVD sales and season 2 has strong ratings to ensure this. Prior to Game of Thrones I had never thought I’d get an HBO subscription, but I have for this show, and I bet plenty of other people have too.

10. Houseark
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Best outcome of all this: hopefully a shorter gap between seasons three and four.

I’m becoming more and more confident HBO will sea ASOIAF through to its conclusion. Strong repeat viewings and DVD sales will only convince further.

11. The DarkStar
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Most awesome!

But two things worry me.
    1) D&D will not have the feed back between seasons to make improvements (like the show would be better without so much sexposition, direwolves are not dogs etc…)
    2) they would have to script two seasons of stuff before filming next year, and with such a massive amount, maybe the quality takes a hit.

12. Shinyteapot
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

A green light for 2 series at once would be great, and filming it all together could make sense. But it leaves me worried for the story afterwards- could it mean the plan is to end after 4 series? (Personally I don’t think it’s a good note to end on).

If this goes ahead, and the story does continue into 5 or more series, it would mean definite catching up with the books even sooner, and all the related problems.

It would also mean either filming a year in advance (meaning greenlighting series 5 when series 3 airs), working in a time jump to explain the children’s ages (if they have a year off from filming they’ll look much older in series 5 than 4) or recasting all the child roles- which I would hate, the current actors are all perfect!

Maybe they’ll use the 5 year gap GRRM considered and decided against? (Or at least a few years). Less Meereen? :)

13. Sam
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

well if this is true then GRRM better get started on the Winds of Winter now instead of waiting until sometime next year.

14. furrever
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

This would be awesome. And it would also allow them to spend more money on post-production (e.g. special effects) using the money they’ll save on the actual production. Plus, as already mentioned, now the kids won’t age between seasons 3 and 4 (Book 3).

I think it would be okay for them to “jump forward” the timeline a few years at the start of season 5 (Book 4) to explain why the kids look older. If I recall, this is what GRRM had originally planned for the books anyways.

Please let the rumor be true.

15. João Amaral
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink

if this happens, maybe the will push the third season to the fall, with boardwalk. or just don’t air for a year.

we will get 2 season in spring 2012. 3rd season in the fall of 2013, and the 4th season in the fall or spring of 2014?

or

we will get 2 season in spring 2012. 3rd season in the spring of 2014, and the 4th season in the spring of 2015?

16. Mosh
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Anybody else hoping the NBA season gets canceled so the playoffs don’t effect the ratings?

17. Maria
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Yes please!!

18. Lina
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I think this is a necessity, considering how fast the kids will start visibly aging. It’s better to film as much as possible while they still look the same age or only a year or two older, instead of five.

It would also, I imagine, make for a better story. Filming two seasons at once will probably make for a better-thought-out, more complete telling of ASOS.

19. Lise Bollum
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I absolutely hope this turns out to be true in the end! Leaves out the issues with aging child actors and not mention the incredibly event-packed storylines of ASOS will definitely be served more justice. I wonder if this potentially will include material from AFFC/ADWD as well.

I keep wondering if the show gets as far as AFFC/ADWD (which I definitely hope), if we will actually see some condensation – let’s say page number to screen minute ratio. Even though I by _no_ means at all belong to the faction that consider these books – I allow myself to use the word – inferior, it can’t be denied that the pacing is a lot slower than the tree first. More time spent on musings and descriptions don’t translate as directly to the screen.

20. spacechampion
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I love it; rumours of 2 seasons ordered, and fans get greedy to see both seasons back to back. That’s not going to happen. Moving the 4th season from spring up to winter I could see, but its more likely it’ll stay right where it is, as their money-maker before True Blood…. Unless they insert American Gods or Dark Tower in there? That’s possible. If those two shows are a definite go ahead, HBO could have fantasy ALL YEAR ROUND. The mind boggles at how lucky we are.

21. Charles
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Mosh,

NBA season is back on.

22. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

If GoT takes off big in the next year or so they should get the rights to Malazan. Tom Hanks’ Playtone group would fit the bill HBO wise.

23. Will
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

I hope this is true. I doubt that we would get Season 4 sooner though

24. Harry The Heir
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I personally Believe they will wait until Season 2′s premier before they order another 2 seasons.

25. Mike
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

The DarkStar:

The sexposition served a purpose of telling story that couldn’t otherwise be told due to flashbacks, memories, etc. The use of dogs as direwolves in the first season is because the animals are still meant to be pups. I’m pretty sure I read that, as they grow, they will move to CGI.

Shows don’t typically have the entire season scripted out ahead of time. Network shows usually run 2 or 3 weeks ahead of time. A show like GOT would probably need to be done 4 or 5 weeks ahead. Plus, all of the sets are known ahead of time and can be built up as needed with whatever lead time is necessary.

26. SillyMammo
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I’ll be very pleased if HBO let’s them get through Storm of Swords!

27. Knurk
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Mosh:

no. What an asshole statement to make: let’s hope millions of sportsfans don’t get to watch basketball so our little show gets a few more viewers (who otherwise watch it via On Demand or DVR). What kind of person thinks like that? I’m stoked the NBA-season starts soon.

28. Ahorwitt
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

29. NewJeffCT
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

If they continue with season 3 in 2013 and season 4 in 2014, they’ll still have A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons for seasons 5 and 6 in 2015 and 2016.

Hopefully, Winds of Winter will be out by the end of season 4 in 2014 (does that get two seasons as well – 2017 and 2018?). Meaning GRRM would have another four years to finish the last book.

Of course, if Feast & Dance get three seasons combined, it would mean GRRM has an extra year to finish Spring…

30. Jessica Chirico
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Mosh:

No, a lot of small business owners of restaurants around arenas depend on patrons from sporting events, like NBA games. Not to mention the people who work in the arenas at the food and merchandise stands. Sports are not only a source of entertainment for people but also a source of income for a lot of average Americans.

Back on topic, I do hope this happens if for nothing else we are guaranteed theRed Viper vs. Mountain scene

31. The Young Wolf
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

This would be one of the greatest things that has happened in the history of the human race. Yes please.

32. The DarkStar
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Mike,

What you describe is called exposition, which is very necessary. The fact that it was done repeatedly during sexual encounters, coined the new term “sexposition”. I don’t know anyone that felt the “every episode sexposition” improved upon Martin’s tale or the viewers experience. (the Pycelle calistentics were just awkward to watch, and there did not need to be lesbian whores romping around while LF tells his tale, and don’t even get me started on the man/man chest shave)
    The sexpostion might have been good on page, but was a bit overbearing and overdone onscreen constantly.

Regarding the dogs.
    If they would have worked and obeyed, it would not have been a mistake to use them. But DURING filming and AFTER the budget and planning was allocated they realized they don’t work and had to virtually cut them out of the story.

And the whole season will be scripted ahead of time. You aren’t making any sense here.

33. Elena Amici
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:

Any ideas on this?

this is exactly what i was thinking about. I mean, if a show’s tagline is “Winter Is Coming”, you just CAN’T have it airing in April. It’s just plain wrong :D I hope GoT will get to air during winter sooner or later

I also like the idea of filming S3&S4 at the same time – it makes sense and it’s probably the best option

34. Yellow Dog
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Ahorwitt: Though it’s clear that ASOS cannot fit into 10 hours, I still hate the idea of breaking ASOS into two seasons and I don’t think it can sustain 20 episodes. The first 2/3 of the book is very, very slow. Imagine 10 episodes where all Tyrion does is marry Sansa, all Jon does is hang out with the wildlings (who never attack that year), all Davos and Stannis do is brood on Dragonstone, all Catelyn and Robb do is make preparations for a wedding until it finally happens at the end of the season, Jaime spends the whole year in captivity at Harrenhal, and Bran spends two whole years walking north toward the Wall. Dany’s arc moves fast, and Arya gets some action with the Brotherhood and Hound, but the main plot is slow as molasses for the first 2/3. The other problem is where to break the two seasons. You can’t end the first one on the Red Wedding, it’s too much of a downer, so it would have to be the Red Wedding in Ep 9 and Joffrey’s Wedding in Ep 10. And if you do that, then clearly the rest of ASOS will only be a few more episodes, so significant chunks of AFFC/ADWD would have to be moved to Season 4, which would be a mess. Doing all of ASOS in one 14 episode season without an artificial break is much better, IMO.

Excellent points. My fear would be a draggy Season Three forcing HBO to abandon the series or even cancel Season Four.

But remember – D&D have done the impossible to bring AGOT to television, so I trust them to overcome those obstacles.

35. the goat
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Mike:

Shows don’t typically have the entire season scripted out ahead of time.Network shows usually run 2 or 3 weeks ahead of time.A show like GOT would probably need to be done 4 or 5 weeks ahead.Plus, all of the sets are known ahead of time and can be built up as needed with whatever lead time is necessary.

I assume you mean 4 or 5 weeks prior to shooting, not prior to airing, at least for GoT. They will finish shooting on Dec 18th (I think) and the 1st episode will likely air on April 15 or 22. As far as scripts, George posted on his blog that he turned in the first draft of his episode, the 9th, on July 5th, which was about 2 or 3 weeks before they started shooting anything. Of course, he mentioned that there would be further drafts/revisions, but I don’t think they started shooting that episode until late September.

Anyway, I really hope this is true, but I don’t think we’ll hear anything official until the DVD numbers and episode premiere numbers are in. If it does happen, I could see them moving S4 up a couple months to Jan or Feb 2014, but no earlier than that.

36. Josh Parker
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

37. Delta1212
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Mike,

HBO doesn’t work like network television. They script and then film everything before a single episode airs. I’m not sure how you can follow this site and not realize that, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

38. Liesie
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

*fingers crossed* :)

39. Hilda
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

If this happens it could be hard on the actors schedules. Kit Harington was just offered a movie role. “Arthur and Lancelot”. I am pretty sure that It will start filming in 2012 for 2013 release.
    Actually,maybe it will be better to have a back to back filming schedule!

40. Shinyteapot
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Ahorwitt,

I agree ASOS doesn’t need two full series (and about where to end series 3) but it seems likely that a good chunk of AFFC/ADWD would end up in series 4.

This however would mean series 5 would pretty much reach the end of the material published so far, meaning GRRM needs to really get a move on with TWOW, and there’s no hope of ADOS (and any books beyond that if the series expands again) being done in time.

41. darquemode
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Ahorwitt,

I think part of that could be alleviated by them pushing some of Book 2′s story back to Season 3. If they wait to cover the Riverrun and Tully stories until Season 3 (which it appears they are doing anyway) that could add to the beginning of the season and stop it from feeling so “slow” possibly….

42. Curious Nelly
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

How would this affect the hiatus between seasons? Would it still be the same amount of time?

43. surfKraken
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

There are plenty of mini-cliffhangers in SoS to keep the audience addicted. Especially with the Arya and Brienne characters. The red wedding will a Shakespearean shock…one all viewers will want to follow up on.

44. MW
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot:
    Ahorwitt,

Cue the “it’s a good problem to have” response. It’s a great problem if you are the network or the author or anyone else who is getting rich. It’s a terrible problem for the rest of us.

If I were to guess, I would say that if it does come to this, GRRM will work with D&D and script out the show to complete the story ahead of the books. This is the only solution that makes sense to me. GRRM isn’t going to suddenly change his proven methods, no matter how slow they may be, and they wouldn’t cancel a successful show just because the author who sold them the rights can’t keep up.

45. Elena Amici
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Mike:

Not cable TV.

Hilda:

yes, but they almost ended filming GOT, and the production won’t start again until next late july/august. No schedule problems :)

46. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

God I hope this is true! I really don’t see them releasing season 4 earlier though. Plus that would just make everything a bigger time crunch.

47. Nimble Dick
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

cool beans

48. Chris
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Everyone keeps bringing up how this is necessary to keep the kids looking young, but won’t it have the opposite effect when going from season 4 to season 5, since there will be a larger than usual gap between filming those seasons?

All things considered, I definitely feel like the mindset of HBO and the producers is that they are committed to telling the story through aSoS, but who knows what happens after that.

49. Ahorwitt
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

50. spacechampion
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

They are going to have to take the Ironmen and Dorne chapters from Feast to insert into season 4, since those chapters mostly take place during latter half of Storm of Swords but GRRM held them back for Feast due to length.

51. Jess
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

No on recasting the child actors as someone else mentioned above. If Natalie Dormer can play a 16 year old, I don’t see why these children can’t keep play 12 year-olds when they’re 20! (which they might be, but the time, book 7/season10 rolls around).

I really hope they’ll film season 3 and 4 together! Do you guys think ASOS would be 2 entire seasons or would AFFC sneak its way to a bit of season 4? I feel like once they get to ADWD, that will have to be longer than 10 episodes too. That’s a really dense book.

52. Lisa
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

This is a really cool rumour, I hope it’s true!

Elena Amici:

I was just wondering whether they would stick to the usual time to start filming or just start earlier. I guess it’s the former because they need the preparation time but who knows.
    And some of the articles about Kit’s casting as Arthur mentioned that some minor scheduling conflicts with Game of Thrones needed to be sorted out, but I guess that won’t be a really big problem. :)

53. loco73
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Please, oh please for heaven’s sake, let this be true! Even the knowledge of having this show for multiple seasons brings joy in my heart on this gloomy, rainy day (actually kind of a perfect day for Westeros)!

If they give this show the run it deserves…I’ll be HBO’s slave….LOL!

If I have “Game Of Thrones” and “The Walking Dead”, I’m a happy, happy man!

54. Jess
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Ahorwitt: Shinyteapot, Even though Joff’s wedding is where the split would have to be, I still don’t like it. Basically all of the first 2/3 of ASOS is deliberate, careful setup for the utter madness of its last 1/3. Cutting off that madness just as it’s getting started, with an artificial break, feels wrong to me. I suppose it won’t matter once it’s all on DVD and can be watched together — but it still feels clunky and awkward to end S3 without the wildling attack on the Wall / Jon’s LC election, without the Red Viper payoff, without the Stannis Wall payoff, without Jaime even making it back to King’s Landing, without Dany taking Meereen, and with Tyrion truly having done nothing all year. Do it all in one 13-14 episode season, I say, and make it one of the best seasons of TV ever.

Ahorwitt,

I agree with this COMPLETELY!!! I’m not a HBO excutive, but wouldn’t they enjoy the momentum of a longer season where more people would be subscribing to see the end of a show, instead of “wait, i meant to subscribe to HBO to see that show, but oops, it’s over now. Better wait ’till next year” Or is that just me being a cheapo? LOL

I mean, I could understand if they simply cannot film and produce more than 10 episodes a year, but if they could… why not?

55. Elena Amici
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Lisa:

let’s hope so! can you provide a link anyway? I’d like to know if i’m being too optimistic :D

56. NewJeffCT
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Chris:

My guess is that when they film seasons 3 and 4 in 2012 (For airing in 2013 and 2014), they will then film the next three seasons concurrently to give life to AFFC and ADWD. They can film those three seasons together in 2013 or 2014 for airing in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Hopefully, GRRM will have released Winds of Winter by 2015 and then that can be aired in 2018 and 2019, leaving him 5 years to get to Spring.

57. Blueberry2
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Josh Parker: Am I the only one thinking that by Season Four (or at the very latest, five), GoT will be telling more or less its own separate story…and that may not necessarily be a bad thing?If D&D can clean up the kind of run-on narrative GRRM has given us in these last two books while still keeping the major arcs in place, I say do it. And if you have to sacrifice a few characters and plot elements, or invent a few of your own, not really a problem.

This is what I’m hoping for. 20 episodes just for ASOS seems like too much. They’ll probably bring some of AFFC/ADWD into season 4 and also change the story. Much of those books won’t translate well to the screen and I can’t see tv fans sticking around and watching if Dany is still in Mereen at the end of season 5.

58. Dreamlife
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

The best chance of this happening is if subscribers increase (and maintain) with season 2, ratings are strong, and buzz is there from critics and viewers.

I think it makes good sense because of the amount of money they put into Game of Thrones. More seasons to spread the expense over.

PS: I agree that maybe after we conclude the arcs in A Storm of Swords D & D needs to break off from following the books and focus on the end game. I don’t mind sticking with the major actions of the main characters, but I really, really, really did not enjoy the “Mereneese Knot” in ADWD (I won’t point out the character chapters to avoid spoilers) and do NOT want to see it dragged out for multiple seasons. And I want a conclusion! Hopefully it will be the same as George’s, but even if there are differences in how we get there, that’s fine.

59. Lisa
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

http://thefilmstage.com/news/jeffrey-wright-boards-broken-city-kit-harington-chosen-for-arthur-lancelot/ That’s the only one I could find that mentioned the scheduling conflicts, but I’m sure I read it somewhere else as well. But I guess, there’s not really a reason to worry, they wouldn’t have cast him for the film if they weren’t able to work around the different schedules. ;)

60. Eric Reinhardt
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Also to note, HBO will be airing Game of Thrones season 1 again in December for a month long marathon.

61. Johan Sporre
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

It’d be cool if the rumour is true, and it’d be sort of fun to read all the speculation about when they’d air the seasons. But I’ve seen the first three books/four seasons as a done deal for the last six months, so if we get a season four renewal this spring or the next doesn’t really matter that much.

Ahorwitt: Even though Joff’s wedding is where the split would have to be, I still don’t like it. Basically all of the first 2/3 of ASOS is deliberate, careful setup for the utter madness of its last 1/3. Cutting off that madness just as it’s getting started, with an artificial break, feels wrong to me. I suppose it won’t matter once it’s all on DVD and can be watched together — but it still feels clunky and awkward to end S3 without the wildling attack on the Wall / Jon’s LC election, without the Red Viper payoff, without the Stannis Wall payoff, without Jaime even making it back to King’s Landing, without Dany taking Meereen, and with Tyrion truly having done nothing all yea

We have no idea how much of ASoS is in season 2, nor how much of ACoK and AFfC/ADwD is moved to season 3, and they can move stuff around (and write new storylines). They can put the break after Joffrey’s wedding and still have lots of interesting stuff happen before that.

62. the goat
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Ahorwitt,

Sorry, but I think alot of that is in your mind because you read them in a single book. Most of the events you mentioned occur thousands of miles away from each other and don’t have any real bearing on each other (with the exception of Tyrion’s trial). But on the other hand, I read about Tyrion killing Tywin in 2000, then read about Tywin’s funeral in 2005, and had to wait 11 years for the next Tyrion chapter (even though maybe 3 weeks or so had gone by in story time).

Plus, with the lack of Reek and the Reeds being cast, there’s a good chance that we won’t see the burning of Winterfell (and who knows what else) until Season 3. That, plus the Others attacking the Fist/Sam & Gilly getting back to the Wall, Tyrells and Tywin arrive in KL, Astapor, Bran and the Reeds going north, introduction of Mance and the others, Jon/Ygritte romance/scaling the Wall, Jaime losing his hand/Harrenhal/saving Brienne, Arya meeting the brotherhood/Lord Beric/Hound stealing Arya, introduction of the Tullys/Westerlings/RW, Tyrion marrying Sansa, and finally RW will be enough to fill 10 episodes. And, of course, that gives George more time to work on the books.

63. Julian Walker
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I think its best that HBO actually consider 12 or 13 episodes for season 3. I know they want to stick to their 10 episode format, however like someone mentioned above it would not take 20 friggin’ episodes to cover A Storm of Swords. Imagine the filler that would be needed for storylines like Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Bran, and especially Davos and Stannis.

Remember, Davos and Stannis will be introduced in season 2, so they will still be fresh in the minds of new viewers. If they end up spending all of season 3 at DragonStone brooding and half of season 4 going to the wall and doing whatever it is that Davos does, I think the importance of these characters will start to wane.

And where the HELL are they going to end Bran’s story arc? Season 3 might end with him finally approaching the Wall, (with the MOTHERFRIGGIN” Reeds by his side of course :D ) and season 4 would wrap up with him meeting Coldhands? Then folks have to wait till season 5, when Bran barely gets 5 or 6 episodes only to end up in a damn cave?

64. Elena Amici
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker:

They said they can’t do it in 13 episodes. You know, budget, schedule and so on. Anyway, i do believe they can cover Storm in 14 episodes, and more than HALF of Dance and Feast combined in the other 6 episodes. I really like this, because we would still get 5 seasons for the first 5 books (s5 covering the remaining part of Dance/Feast/maybe a little Winds). We all know how SLOW the last books are, and i think D&D can actually do better than GRRM with the last 2 books

65. OhDanyBoy
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Julian Walker,

Maybe they shrink the two partial seasons to 8 episodes apiece. I expect they will have plenty of story to do ten each though. A little more breathing space for the story would be nice.

66. David The Grey
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Wow, hope it is so! Hope the S2 numbers are awesome (huge growth!).

67. KG
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Thank God for child actors. They are the ticking time bomb that forces a production to keep hoppin’.

68. sjwenings
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

This really does seem like a good idea.

In addition to saving production costs, and keeping kids from aging too much, theres holding on to the actors they’ve got for a guaranteed extra season. And they’ve got a loooot of actors on their bill…

69. the goat
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT,

If this does happen they will almost certainly be filming well into 2013, and after a 9-10 month shoot everybody’s gonna need a break. Of course, if it works well and the show is still a hit, they could do another 20 episode shoot during most of 2014 for Seasons 5 and 6. I think two seasons is enough for Feast/Dance.

70. Shinyteapot
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Indeed, AFFC and ADWD are much more slowly paced than the preceeding books and have more travelling, which will not work well on screen (too many locations, plus the boredom factor). I expect all the journeying about to be very much condensed- the important points need to be there, but we won’t see anywhere near as much as is presented in the books.

I still hope Dany’s story is accelerated relative to the others too. End of series 3, decides to stay in Meereen to fix the mess/practise ruling (a decision that makes sense for the character, just a shame it led to such a drawn out storyline). End of series 4, (ADWD spoilers from here on) fly away. First bit of series 5, focus on events from Barristan and Quentyn’s chapters and let the audience wonder if Dany is dead for a while, bring her back when necessary. This would also require Tyrion’s journey to be shortened (leave Westeros halfway through series 4, perform for Dany by the end of it) which is no bad thing.

71. clemintine
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

A fantastic idea! I’m just worried that they’re back-loading the ageing thing.

With one season/year the kids age only a year in between. But then there is a larger gap in between season 4 and 5. Will they just delay a year to film it, making the kids age 2 years? That doesn’t make much sense. They’d have to air seasons 3 and 4 close together, and film season 5 only half a year later or something so that the age gap doesn’t get too large.

72. Ahorwitt
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: They said they can’t do it in 13 episodes. You know, budget, schedule and so on.

This seems to be moot considering we’re now talking 20 episodes at once!

the goat:
    Sorry, but I think alot of that is in your mind because you read them in a single book.Most of the events you mentioned occur thousands of miles away from each other and don’t have any real bearing on each other… [list of events] will be enough to fill 10 episodes.

You have to look at each major character / plot arc and imagine it being stretched over 10 episodes. Very few coherent arcs could be constructed from the items on your list. In particular nothing significant happens in the Lannister/Stark conflict, the major plot setpiece tying the first three books together, until the very end of our imagined S3, which would basically mean 8 episodes of filler until then. If this ends up happening, the season will be panned like the current season of the Walking Dead, and rightly so if we have 8 episodes of Cat/Robb at Riverrun, 9 episodes of Tyrion/Sansa unhappy at KL, 8 episodes of Arya hanging out with the Brotherhood, 10 episodes of Bran walking to the Wall, 10 episodes of Stannis brooding on Dragonstone, and 10 episodes of Jon hanging out with Ygritte that leads only to a brief burst of action in 1.5 final episodes followed by a months or year long break.

73. Robett, the Mighty Warhammer
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

That’s great news, they will be able to explore in more detail, and we the series will be longer and with more scenes. I believe there is enough material in the third book to make two seasons. Surely they will add scenes, and it wil be more detailed. But for now what matters is season 2, because the night is dark an full of terrors.

74. userj
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot:
    I still hope Dany’s story is accelerated relative to the others too.End of series 3, decides to stay in Meereen to fix the mess/practise ruling (a decision that makes sense for the character, just a shame it led to such a drawn out storyline).End of series 4, (ADWD spoilers from here on) fly away.First bit of series 5, focus on events from Barristan and Quentyn’s chapters and let the audience wonder if Dany is dead for a while, bring her back when necessary.This would also require Tyrion’s journey to be shortened (leave Westeros halfway through series 4, perform for Dany by the end of it) which is no bad thing.

This really cant’ work if S3+S4 are mostly just events from aSoS. Dany’s story in a Storm of Swords is incredibly dense – much more than most any other character. She conquers three cities. for one thing. If we are stretching out for example Bran’s story, or Arya’s, or Sansa’s, it makes no sense IMO to condense Dany’s which has so many more major events. If anyone’s asos story is going to be stretched out it should be hers.

I fully agree that both affc and adwd should be condensed significantly however. Not only Dany’s story stalls there, but so does everyone else’s. Jon (counting supplies for 12 chapters), Sansa (sitting in the Eyrie and getting creeped on), Tyrion (riverboat turtles need I see more?), Cersei (uuuuuughhh… you could do it in 4 scenes), Brienne (aimless grail quest climaxing with a fight with some minor villains), Jaime (seige of rr is the only significant event), Arya (after the first chapter her “training” put me to sleep), Sam (6 chapters of boat travel no thanks!), etc.

I guess ideally they’ll have to have a few of the stories take some material from affc or adwd, and put it into season 3.5/4 I like the suggestion that most of the Dorne and Ironborn stuff be pulled into season 3.5/4. That way it’s done with and out of the way so that the adwd/affc stuff can all be mashed into a single season.

75. EvilPicnic
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Being a UK reader I read Storm of Swords as two separate volumes anyway (Steel and Snow, and Blood and Gold). There are plenty of momentous events near the middle of the book that could serve as an appropriate season finale even without much moving around, the break was cliffhangery but not anticlimatic, and the knowledge that the story directly continued increased the anticipation for the next part. I imagine the split between S3 and S4 will be the same. Naysayers: shhhhh. Two seasons for aSoS is a good thing.

But howabout that? My favourite book in the series getting a full 20 episodes of coherent and continuous production (if this pans out)! Bloody awesome!

And what makes it doubly awesome (in a counting chickens kind of way) is my thought that if this style of production is successful it can only bode well for the difficult challenge of Feast and Dance to come.

76. the goat
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Ahorwitt,

You’re leaving ou a ton of stuff I mentioned. The burning of Winterfell, the Others attacking the Fist, all the Dany scenes, all the Jaime/Brienne scenes, Beric/Hound fight, Jon scaling the Wall and escaping the wildlings. All of those are big, exciting scenes, with RW (and possibly Joff’s wedding) to top it all off.

77. Alan
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Some quick thoughts:

1) Filming together will make the production cheaper. Which in turn either increases profits or puts money to spend on expensive things like battles and CGI.
    2) I sincerely doubt it will affect the airing schedule at all. if anything, HBO has shown a willingness to take longer than one year breaks.
    3) I don’t think this has anything to do the children aging, as they would very possibly take a year off from production afterwords. While season four could conceptually be the last one, I doubt it if the ratings are good.
    4) Why are people worried about pacing? There’s a million ways to manage this from re-arranging things to just speeding up the first 2/3 and slowing down the last third. There’s still plenty happening in the beginning of the book — remember the Fist of the First Men is the prologue! The killing of the Old Bear, etc., can be a sequence on its own.
    5) I don’t get why people think the Red Wedding would be an awful ending to season 3.
    It’d be awesome. Three years in with the guarantee of a fourth — you don’t need to worry about being depressing. See Empire for proof.

78. Shinyteapot
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

userj,

Dany has relatively little to do in ACOK, so I was working under the assumption that she might start getting into her ASOS story before series 3 starts. Also, while it sounds like a lot, she has relatively few chapters in both books compared to those covering other storylines.

Do you think she’ll conquer 3 cities in the show? You may well be right, but I’ve sort of resigned myself to thinking otherwise- you have extra locations and it might seem repetitive on screen. There needs to be one city she conquers and leaves behind to fall into chaos then back to slaving, and one she decides to stay in so the same won’t happen there, but while I’d like to see all three on screen, if something has to be cut I expect we’d lose one of the cities.

79. Alan
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

the goat:
    Ahorwitt,

You’re leaving ou a ton of stuff I mentioned.The burning of Winterfell, the Others attacking the Fist, all the Dany scenes, all the Jaime/Brienne scenes, Beric/Hound fight, Jon scaling the Wall and escaping the wildlings.All of those are big, exciting scenes, with RW (and possibly Joff’s wedding) to top it all off.

Yep. There’s plenty for Season 3, ending with the RW or the JW.

80. Ahorwitt
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

the goat,

That’s because what you’ve mentioned are a bunch of cool scenes that are rather disjointed, in a bunch of different locales, and don’t add up to a coherent whole. They’re not narrative arcs that are set up and pay off and can sustain a season. Think of ACOK. Stannis vs. Renly vs. Lannisters is a coherent arc that can sustain a season and conclude satisfyingly at its end, much like Ned’s Handship was for Season 1. There is no obvious parallel in ASOS — the Red Wedding is a big shocker, sure, but Robb and Catelyn clearly are not driving the story for the first 2/3 of the book. ASOS just seems like a bunch of unrelated stuff happening in random places — until Martin ties it all together in that awesome last 1/3 that makes it all make sense — that it is about the bloody downfall of Stark and Lannister rulers in Westeros as the next generation rises to power at the Wall and in the East.

81. The Instrumentalist
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

The DarkStar,

They actually do write scripts pretty late. And I wouldn’t worry about that – I think we can infer that they know what they’re doing. The dogs were a miscalculation, but I’m glad they didn’t do CGI when they were young.

The lesbians were a bit much, but those other two scenes were hardly sexy at all. Pycelle obviously has more going on than he lets people know. And we know that from that scene. Renly and Loras are gay (no, really!) and it sets up Renly going for the crown. Those are honestly important scenes, and really, nothing is happening in them. They’re more humour than anything.

I doubt D&D will change anything because of “critique”. They will do what they want at the end of the day, and we can choose to watch it or not.

82. Alan
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Last thing: were I HBO, I’d want to see Episode 201′s ratings before picking up anything. I expect a pretty big jump, but if it doesn’t, I’m not sure I want to invest in two seasons if the ratings drop.

83. Sunspear
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

84. Ryan E
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

A Storm of Swords is my favorite book… of anything I have ever read in my life, which is quite a bit. When I heard they were making ASOIAF into a show, my entire goal for the show was to make it through ASOS. Just love that book. Two seasons of it? Great. Though I would expect it will also contain some material from ACOK in Season 3 and some from AFFC and ADWD in Season 4.

But lets not forget the main point: 2 seasons for ASOS! Hell yeah!

And there was much rejoicing…

85. Ryan E
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Sunspear: I always thought they’d try to film feast and dance back to back since the feast doesn’t work as its own story.

Without a doubt, they will be aired as one story, rather than seperated like the books were.

86. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

The execs over at HBO must be thrilled with the success of GoT. The show was instantly embraced by pop culture, and has already become iconic after the very first season. There is so much earning potential there, they’d have to be crazy not to see this through.

D&D really hit the jackpot. And, don’t fool yourself; by bringing an epic fantasy series like ASOIAF to the small screen, they were taking a considerable risk that very well could have cost them their reputation, had the show been poorly received.

The gamble paid off. Cheers!

Btw… Like most people, ASoS is also my favorite book in the series, so it’s good to hear they’re not going to rush through it. One season wouldn’t do it justice.

87. The DarkStar
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

The Instrumentalist,

I disagree.
    All the scripts are done before the filming begins. (yes some things can and should change during the filming process).
    If you think D&D live in a bubble of not listening to anything, you are living in a different time without, $, the Internet, reviewers, ratings etc.. HBO is running focus groups of fans before the seasons even air, you think the ultimate focus group of actual watchers will just be ignored? Also, D&D are fans at heart, don’t think they don’t read WIC and Westeros to see how things play amongst the fans. We have more input on this project than you think. Since day 1 HBO and D&D have been talking about the fans of the books, they have been catering to us (AND HAVE DONE A REMARKABLE JOB) and they certainly listen to us.

88. dizzy_34
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Man, I’d love to have a spring and fall season of GoT. Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones back to back on Sundays would kick some major butt. Although going against the NFL might not be ideal.

89. Who Is Jacopo Belbo?
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

but if GoT was unfilmable the Malazan books are absolutely impossible. even if you did it on HBO … the scope of those books, the number of characters, the multiple storylines, the fact that you can go an entire book without seeing a set of characters/storylines or even two …

it simply couldn’t be done without murdering it.

tho i would love to see a two season (26 total episodes) of perhaps just one of the storylines. like the Chain of Dogs? or maybe Midnight Tides … i do love Tehol and Bug (Mael).

Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

1) This is awesome! Remember when we were still waiting anxiously for a greenlight of Season 1?

91. JC
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

I’m not really concerned either way with how things work out ultimately for the Storm of Swords seasons. The material is strong enough that if they compress it, it’ll be a little rushed but jammed with great plot turns, and if they give it more time to breathe, it’ll be more atmospheric and feel more nuanced I suspect in comparison to the previous seasons. Don’t get me wrong – I loved the first season, but I actually think they jammed so many things in story-wise, that the show felt almost too tightly wound together, more driven by the story, and less focused on the visual storytelling and the smaller moments. My favourite scene in Season 1 was the completely made up scene with Robert and Cersei reflecting on their shared history – I would love more of those kinds of flourishes in the future. With a longer run, I think it would give the show a chance to develop a more atmospheric approach (Lord of the Rings was 9+ hours and those books are a far simpler story than Storm of Swords).

My bigger concern is with how they will deal with Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons. I love that George R.R. Martin is involved in the show, but I think he’s a bit blinded by his own work – I mean, he’s been talking about having three seasons for those two books, as if they needed that time – which they don’t. Three seasons of that would kill the show’s popularity like that. People would tune out quickly and it would mean we may not get the full series.

I’m just worried that with the author involved behind-the-scenes, he may influence them to follow through on that when they have an opportunity to trim the fat down significantly to create a far better experience on camera.

Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT:
    Hopefully, Winds of Winter will be out by the end of season 4 in 2014

93. DH87
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Curious Nelly:
    If you mean between the seasons’ airing, HBO will probably keep GOT in the slot that works best—meaning, right where it is. Where it might be dicey is the hiatus for the actors. Most have other work scheduled for the months between seasons, sometimes a year in advance, even though the TV show contract typically gives the show “first call” on an actor’s time. D&D would run the risk of alienating its whole cast (all of whom have other film/TV/stage work pretty much year round) if HBO leaves the decision to film S3 and S4 back-to-back too late.

94. Alan
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Who Is Jacopo Belbo?: erickson is one of my favourite writers … the Malazan books are better than ASoIaF in my opinion.

but if GoT was unfilmable the Malazan books are absolutely impossible.even if you did it on HBO … the scope of those books, the number of characters, the multiple storylines, the fact that you can go an entire book without seeing a set of characters/storylines or even two …

it simply couldn’t be done without murdering it.

tho i would love to see a two season (26 total episodes) of perhaps just one of the storylines. like the Chain of Dogs?or maybe Midnight Tides … i do love Tehol and Bug (Mael).

I also don’t think the characters are particularly realistic or the story very analogous to modern life, unlike ASOIF, which makes it much harder to want to make.

95. Adam
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I am disappointed that Season 3 won’t be split into two seasons, unless if this rumor is true, but instead of filming season 4, they just do season 3, part 2. Like, another 10 episodes so it’s a 20 episode season. That would have been sexual, but whatever. Have to take what we’re given.

96. Alan
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Lex:

1) Yes.

2) Eh, I don’t know about that. HBO isn’t likely to speed up the actual airing no matter the production schedule. So Season 5 (however they do Feast/Dance) will air in Spring of 2015, Season 6 (likely the other half) in Spring of 2016 and then production in Summer of 2016 at the latest. That’s four years from now. So season 7, if it’s even that or is even picked up, doesn’t seem unreasonable.

It’s the last sequence that could or could not be really done. Except it will likely be planned out or partially written. Or some of the season could take longer than one season. And HBO has taken many a popular show on hiatus for a year because the creators needed time (the Sopranos, for example).

It’s entirely possible Book 7 doesn’t start until 2019, and that’s more than enough time.

3) It is what it is.

97. Coltaine777
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Alan: Malazan is unfilmable as a whole not because of scope but because it’s not a cohesive story.You could do one snippet, but I don’t think I’ve ever been more annoyed at a series.It has it’s strengths, but that thing needed so much editing it’s not funny.A good half of the story lines are beyond pointless.Same theme, same characters, absolutely no tie to the main storyline.

Couldn’t agree more..eh I use to love Malazan …and no way is it better than asoif imo…also hope they do 20 ep for ASOS…

98. Alan
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

JC:

I wouldn’t worry about that. I think people wildly overstate Martin’s influence on the production, even on overarching items like the general plotline of a season. I also think people are way understating the interest level on the screen Feast and Dance could have, especially Dance. There’s a lot that happens off-screen that could move on-screen. Heck, there’s a lot that happens on-screen.

My bigger concern is that they diverge too far from the plot to spice it up. Not because divergence is awful, but because I’m not sure they can keep the quality level up doing it.

99. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Who Is Jacopo Belbo?,

I’m actually still reading Deadhouse Gates! But I frigging love the series thus far. I still prefer ASOIAF but Malazan is grabbing me. An adaptation is possible…..

What I would love to see is an HBO interpretation of Dune with Ridley Scott producing. Did you know that he was to have directed Dune but David Lynch beat him to the punch….if only.

100. Epic fail
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Who Is Jacopo Belbo?: but if GoT was unfilmable the Malazan books are absolutely impossible. even if you did it on HBO

I agree with you there. There’s no way they can make shows/movies following the entire series of books. I like the format of movies better than tv because basically movies are more precise. I can see parts of the malazan book of the dead series that are good enough to isolate a great movie script following a specific set of characters and publishing it as a contained story. Malazan truly is character driven and the plots are just trails left behind. It just has cult following written all over it in my opinion.

Related: I wonder if we will ever see an animated movie that is adult, not japanese influenced, and not quasi crap (A Scanner Darkly). I mean especially about the style of Ralph Bakshi’s movies (Lord of the Rings 1978; American Pop 1981; (and unfortunately) Cool World). The LotR movie at the time was absolutely terrifying to watch (granted, I was a little kid in a movie theater in the mid 80′s in Europe). It’s amazing to me that the industry can’t put out adult genre movies based on best selling genre that should be relatively cheap to produce. Especially with the emerging technologies to make animation more fluid and cheaper. Anyway, seeing the LoTR 1978 movie made me a believer of animation but I haven’t seen the industry follow up…. someone should reassess the market potential.

OT: I watched Dog Soldier. … and my analysis is Neil Marshall is no early Sam Raimi or Peter Jackson; thus I don’t know why anyone is soo excited about a somewhat potentially better than average director. The only thing that is good about Dog Soldiers is the fact that it probably cost next to nothing to make, and to check out the zero budget tricks. I especially liked horror scenes of wolves feeding in the darkness. But I wouldn’t call Dog Soldiers good in general. It’s like someone grew up watching Predator too many times, and with the success of The Blair Witch Project, decided to Kevin Smith a low budget movie with a handheld cam. But anyway, I guess I am never excited about tv directors.

101. Epic fail
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Alan: Malazan is unfilmable as a whole not because of scope but because it’s not a cohesive story. You could do one snippet, but I don’t think I’ve ever been more annoyed at a series. It has it’s strengths, but that thing needed so much editing it’s not funny. A good half of the story lines are beyond pointless. Same theme, same characters, absolutely no tie to the main storyline.

102. Who Is Jacopo Belbo?
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Epic fail

there have been some pretty good feature animated films that aren’t “anime” so to speak. there is a film called Persepolis that is excellent. also worth checking out is Waltz With Bashir. there is also a pretty odd stop motion animated film called Max and Mary. and also pretty good is Renaissance sort of a futuristic film noir with a pretty interesting black and white negative animation style.

and i know anime gets a bad rap due to a lot of it being kiddie crap but there is still some very good stuff (film and ova) out there that is definitely worth checking out.

103. Epic fail
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Who Is Jacopo Belbo?,

Persepolis is very good yes, but it doesn’t count because 1. it’s based on a comic book and 2. it only exists because the New Yorker crowd thinks it should exist *even though it’s a comic*. Then again I haven’t see Joe Sacco or Art Spiegelman animated… So who knows what is trendy enough or topic of the day enough.

I’ll check those other ones you mentioned, thanks.

104. Clob
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Lex: 2) There is NO chance GRRM will be able to stay ahead of the show. He still hasn’t technically started Book 6 (he said he’ll start in the New Year, by which point Season 2 will be about to air). At this rate, he’ll be lucky to finish Book 6 by the time the show catches up with him. The show could be on Season 7 by then!3) I hate to bring up this old fear, but… my friend’s dad (64 years old, same physique as GRRM) just died of heart failure this week. I really, really hope GRRM starts writing a little faster (not just for my own reasons, but for the sake of his own legacy).

It’s entirely possible, with time to spare, for him to complete the novels ahead of the HBO series need… if he gets motivated and focused again. The spacing in publication of the second and third would easily allow him to complete the book series ahead of D&D’s needs. As it is, they’re just completing filming work that may be a few years behind him. I personally feel like a green light on seasons 2 & 3 in the near future might be a good way to get Martin to start thinking, “geez, I better get writing!”

I’m not one to say what sort of overall physical health GRRM is in. You do have a point in there however. Obviously it would be an awful thing to lose him early, and perhaps completing a book series is not that important in the grand scheme of things, but all hope isn’t necessarily lost. Most of us are aware of the Jordan/Sanderson situation with WoT. Sanderson has done a pretty good job with that series… Actually, Jordan sort of seemed to be meandering with the story while Sanderson started moving it along when he picked it up. At any rate, lets assume and hope Martin has many years left in that tank and that he’ll complete ASoIaF personally and in the manner he wishes.

note: rewatching episode 5 on demand right now :) That makes 7-10, 1, 2 and now 5 in the past week. Does that mean that subconsciously my least favorite episodes were 3, 4 and 6??? :P Eh, probably not

105. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

This is where I differ on ASOIAF versus Malazan:

Unrealistic characters? If you say so. To me they could have been pulled out of any state in Medieval Europe. Look at Roman history, Greek history, its completely full of incest and treachery. Read Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series and you will see a lot of similarities. Jaime Lannister= Lucius Cornelius Sulla only incestuous! Hell just read up on the the past 2000 years of history, Pagan and Christian and it’s all there. I think the relentless depravity is what turns people off from embracing ASOIAF :the weak argument of “there is no justification for these terrible goings on in a fantasy novel but yes I read Pillars of the Earth or X Historical novel and it was depressing but so good”. But to me the world of Westeros comprises medieval feudal politics with all the misery of dark age Europe grafted onto a fantasy world.
    I also see the extreme violence depicted within as an analog for the “sinister supernatural forces” trope found in fantasy novels. Therefore the horror of war, of repression, of tyranny and the abominable depths of human ambition/weakness is the real villain.
    So for me as someone who is writing a novel which places the conventions of historical fiction onto a futuristic Dystopian environment, A Song of Ice and Fire is just what the doctor ordered.

Whereas Malazan is almost a mixture of the tropes and archetypes of high fantasy written in the tone of a Bernard Cornwell novel. In fact every time I break out the Sharpe series I am reminded of Paran, Whiskeyjack, Fiddler et al.

And I just want to say this in interest of all of us getting along especially in the wake of the DVD vs Blu-Ray debacle on the last post: While I understand that ASOIAF has it’s ups and downs in terms of content and style-nothing’s never perfect alas-I feel sorry for those who are not caught up in Martin’s story as I and many others are. If I thought there was zero intrinsic value in something I watched or read I would just move on to something else instead of telling people day in and day out that they are foolish to read more into said text than is actually there. It’s not that I can’t take criticism, I have much to critique myself, but I need to have those of dissenting opinion to have respect for my opinion as well.

To each their own.

106. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Epic fail,

Oh well, others are excited about Marshall directing.

As for great television directors several come to mind: the late great Kim Manners, Greg Yaitanes, Alan Taylor, Jeffrey Bell, Tim Van Patten, Tom Hooper, Andrew Davies, Tom McCarthy etc.

But I am sure you will dismiss them as well…

107. Hodor
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:24 am | Permalink

So they will wait for the DVD sales figures before going all-in, … well smarter than last time, with Rome.

If they don’t skim extra contents, honest consumers will do our part.

108. the goat
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:50 am | Permalink

The DarkStar,

Well, it all depends what you mean by “done ahead of time.” George delivered his first draft of Episode 9 on July 5th and filming started on July 25th, but George said “there will undoubtedly be many further drafts and revisions.” Who knows exactly what D&D’s writing process is, they may have had a first draft of Episode 10 done when shooting started, but it wouldn’t be strictly necessary. If they didn’t, they certainly had an outline/treatment/whatever done so the other departments could get their work done.

Anyway, if they decide to do 20 straight episodes over a 9 – 10 month shoot, and keep the same timeline (greenlight in April, shooting begins late July, early August) it would be almost impossible for them to have a draft of Episode 20 when shooting starts, unless they hire an entire writing team. More to the point, its completely unnecessary. Sure, they’ll have outlines, but there’s no need to have a shooting script on August 1 for an episode that isn’t going to begin production until the following February or March.

109. Jambo
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Sounds sweet :)

I haven’t read all the comments yet, so sorry if this was already brought up….but I wonder if they would air the show at the same schedule? In this spring, for just a few months for s3, and then wait a year for s4? Or would they do one in spring, one in fall?

110. goober
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

confirming this would be the most boner inducing thing ive possibly ever heard.

111. Rimshot
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 5:27 am | Permalink

2 series back-to-back would certainly be great news for the extra community here in Northern Ireland. We’ve come a long way from working on a few local productions 10 years ago! I drive past the Paint Hall nearly every day and I’ve noticed that in the last few weeks work has begun on a huge extension to the building. They are definitely getting ready for something big!

112. Wastrel
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Who Is Jacopo Belbo?: there have been some pretty good feature animated films that aren’t “anime” so to speak.there is a film called Persepolis that is excellent.also worth checking out is Waltz With Bashir.there is also a pretty odd stop motion animated film called Max and Mary.and also pretty good is Renaissance sort of a futuristic film noir with a pretty interesting black and white negative animation style.

Aardman must also be mentioned. Some of their stuff isn’t brilliant – but “The Wrong Trousers” and “A Close Shave” certainly are. [they aren't horribly serious and depressing, and are fun and funny and enjoyable - but that doesn't mean they aren't "adult" films].

“Triplets of Belleville”? And i haven’t seen it yet, but people say that “Up” is for adults. “Sin City” may not technically have been animated, but certainly looked it at times.

Further back in time, perhaps the most adult animated film at all: “When the Wind Blows” (1986) shows a cheerful British couple cheerfully dealing with the effects of fallout, nuclear winter, and radiation poisoning.

113. Joshua Taylor
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Wastrel,

Hey Wastrel, long time no post!

114. Steve-o
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink

It feels really weird to be planning out my tv and reading habits thru 2020. I think back to what I was doing 9 years ago and I was reading Games for the first time. So, if the serious ends around 2020 that will end a 20year love affair….. it might be worse than a family member dying.

115. Knurk
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: Picture it like this: you are sitting in a pub with your friend and she introduces you to a new friend of hers. Soon after pleasantries are exchaned, a topic of conversation comes up, let’s say TV shows. You say I like X TV show. That person than responds quite derisively “that is a such a stupid show” or “you watch that garbage?” Not exactly someone you want to talk to is it? You would not be remiss in making your excuses and leaving. Now this kind of behaviour is what we see on website comment boards all over the internet. It truly amazes me what people will do or say whilst wearing the cloak of anonymity. Why does it have to be that way?

lol, that’s exactly how I talk in real life. It makes good conversation instead of tip-toeing around a topic where you don’t want to hurt the other guy/girl’s different taste in entertainment. I like to read the comments here because there are a lot of people who blatantly say this and that simply sucks, instead of being afraid to speak their mind because there is an angry mob of sycophants ready to burn you down. The ‘why can’t we all get along’ mentality makes me cringe a little, it would make for a boring place and is not necessary at all. The blu-ray/dvd discussion was a good one in my eyes (despite the one stupid commenter who said you’re no true fan if you don’t watch bluray) so it’s obvious we have very different opinions about this.

116. surfKraken
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Lex: Hahaha…. I wish, but between 2016 and 2018 is more likely. Honestly, with each year that passes I’m less and less convinced we’ll ever see the end of the series. Sad, considering how close he is (only two books).

I feel much the same. However, I have a feeling it will take GRRM more than 2 books. His gift for detail is lengthening the task.tasked

117. Epic The Balls
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Wastrel: “Triplets of Belleville”

I loved that one. The most interesting thing to note on Triplets is there’s no dialog throughout, yet it works and the story is rich. Brilliant stuff. I’ll have to look up the other titles, thanks.

118. Alan
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Epic fail: I agree with you on everything except the last paragraph. I think the characters are much more engaging and realistic in Malazan, though most of them seem to jump out of a The Dirty Dozen theme. And to add to that I think most of the characters in Song are not at all believable as real people. I always thought of Song as a fun fantasy book for kids bespeckled with horror and incest–which by the way, I am a fan of.

Well, to me ALL of them seem to jump out of a dirty dozen theme. Ninety-five percent of the characters are the same character, over and over and over. Did you need ten books — and about seventeen different storylines — to do the “people do amazing things in times of extreme stress” story?

I read them and enjoyed parts. The ending absolutely horrific; whole plotlines just disappear and fade away without resolution and the human-fighting-against-the-gods character line happens more often than in Greek mythology.

They are great worldbuilders and Erikson is a talented writer. There are no really good stories and some good characters. But it’s repetitive as all get-out.

119. Alan
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I meant to say there are SOME really good stories…

120. Yellow Dog
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

The DarkStar: That Renly/Loras scene could have been done with them shopping at the market picking out fine silks.After Ned leaves Pycelle with the book, the camera could have stayed there to show him get rid of “oldness” and look like a sharp young man. These things don’t need to be handled during sexual encounters. It’s crazy to think otherwise.

But sexposition is so much more fun!

Am I the only one who didn’t view LF and the whores as a lesbian scene? I thought LF was teaching them how to improve their acting skills in faking it with male clients.

And I thought it was hilarious.

121. Angela
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I think it’s a perfect idea to do them back to back. ASOS is the best book ever written in this genre, no contest.

In my opinion people are just too anxious to finish the series, and it’s ruining your experience. When it’s over, it is over, there will be no more ASOIAF. I, for one will be very sad on that day.

So, calm down, reread the brilliance of this master works. Enjoy every bit of it, because nothing comes close to this series of books. I believe George has a reason for everything, so I am going to trust him.

122. nero
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I’m with those who think that apart from story lines from ASOS, Season 3 will contain part of ACOK, mainly Theon in winterfellstory and Season 4 might contain certain things from AFFC or ADWD, this in its turn might allow to have a single Season 5 for remaining combined storylines of AFFC or ADWD (it might even include certain events from TWOW)
    the remaining TWOW and ADOS might require 1, 2 or even 3 more seasons
    so a complete “ideal” ASOIAF series will be around 7 seasons +/- 1
    there have been longer running series on tv so I don’t think it is unrealistic to hope that HBO will do that

I think that

Season 2 will have complete stories of Danny and Jon from ACOK, while winterfell story will end with Theon taking over

Season 3 might end with bolton taking over winterfell/departure of children, maybe even part of their travel also mels ceremony with leeches, death of Balon, escape of Jon from wildlings, maybe even death of igritt, and quite possibly the Red Wedding

Season 4- Jon :continued attacks on the wall, arrival of Janos SLint, arrest, staniss , election, maybe also- sending away Sam, and some importan event like beheading of slynt or even burning of mance Danny might actually have part of the ADWD story, Kingslanding:Joffreys wedding, then they can extend the period of imprisonment of Tyrion both before the trial and after it and end with him sailing away….sansas story can go as far as death of Lysa

123. andrea
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls,
    This is funny, I bought only three DVDs in my life, one of them is “The triplets of Belleville” because I saw the movie at the cinema but I wanted to have those crazy ladies (and the music) near me forever. I love it.
    By/from the same director of the Triplets (S. Chomet) you have “The Illusionist” adn “The old lady and the pigeons” (don´t know the title in english).
    And Vietnamese and Corean animated short films are truly wonderful. I know because I saw them at a short film festival here in Argentina a few years ago.

124. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Anyone else feel that ASOS should be two full seasons, and not all of season 3 and then maybe half of season 4? Two full seasons of 24 episodes is probably too many for it, but one season isn’t enough and I feel like with ASOS more than any other book in the series, the ending plotlines for the characters should be season ending ones. I think it would feel weird if Tyrion killing his father, Arya boarding a ship to Braavos, Dany deciding to stay in Mereen, and Jon becoming Lord Commander weren’t season ending arcs. Maybe they could stick a break in between a longer season 4 or something, otherwise having Tyrion kill Tywin in one episode and then in the next he’s in Pentos would feel jarring without a break in between.

125. Brad
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

If they film it all at once this way, they should show them all together as one season with ~20 episodes. If the airing is split in two seasons, with season 3 in 2013 and season 4 in 2014, it suggests that either

a) there would be an extra year gap between the filming of seasons 3/4 and season 5 (with children REALLY showing age in season 5) or
    b) they film season 5 while season 4 is airing, and are 1 year ahead of production from here on out.

126. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Knurk,

I guess I am in the minority then. I can take the harsh criticism of something I like to a degree but then after I make a valid argument people respond with ” I like clowns”. It’s infuriating. This site was alot more tolerant before the show aired. The Smiling Knight was truly the harbinger of things to come. Oh well. Too bad. :-(

Posted December 1, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor, I fished your comment out of the spam filter. It got stuck there because you named He Who Shall Not Be Named. ;)

And I disagree with you on the level of discourse on the site. I think it is more or less the same as it has always been. You are really only talking about one poster. For some reason you let Epic get to you and I think it has colored your perception of the majority of our posters. Just ignore him and engage in discussion with other people and I think you will be better off. :)

128. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Tis probably true. The best policy is just to ignore him I guess. Thanks for the dose of common sense. And I do love this site, I just have to give up my crusade against certain people taking me seriously. :-)

129. dizzy_34
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Bah, SMK has nothing on the Sourcenator. :) Unless they’re the same guy OOOOoooo…

130. Raff
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

John Engedal,
    I don’t think the kids aging would be such a problem… Time flies in the books too, and by the end of book three, Arya, Sansa and the others are already quite different from what they were at the beginning of the saga.

131. Epic fail
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I have only seen it once but I will not forget it anytime soon, and yes I agree with you about the wonderful music (and how great it goes with the animation). It is one of these movies that make me feel as though I am reviewing my own life and digging up regrets and loves… it’s all very sentimental ;). Then it goes on a strange journey to an end.

I don’t own any DVDs actually. I sold them all around 2003! Even my Criterion Collection! So I understand why you may have a very special reason to have a copy.

Another movie recently had the sentimental effect.. Submarine. I have a reserved area for ‘coming of age’ movies.

132. Thiago Slash
    Posted December 2, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I’m late and only got to read this now.
    nerdgasm.

133. andrea
    Posted December 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Epic fail: Submarine

Oh thank you, made me remember. I saw it about a month or two… I absolutely love it. Lately I thought that nobody makes films to be treasured (and I was worried about this) until I saw this beauty. A simple, transparent story with wonderful characters. Lovely. I share the feeling.

I didn´t know of this Criterion collection, but quickly peeped some interesting titles. But you know, it´s ok to let go I guess.

Posted December 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34:
    Winter Is Coming,

I’m STILL mad at the sourcenator. I literally almost vomitted when I read his “bad news”.

135. Emma
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Oh, goodness, I hope they do order a third and fourth season. I won’t even be mad if they cancel the show after four seasons; all that matters is that they adapt ASOS!

136. Jaison Corleone
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

i get the feeling dvd/blu ray sales will mean a lot when green lighting season 3 & 4. i have my blu ray preordered!!!

137. chad pilon
    Posted February 11, 2012 at 4:11 am | Permalink

I think the fact unlike most other TV shows they are adapting books that have already been written so they run alot less of a chance of jumping the shark when the writing goes stale and storylines gets strehced and boring. All they really have to do is adapt the books and keep the switch from paper to TV exciting im sure HBO will order all 7 seasons eventually. There are millions of fans of the books so those fans will keep watching the show as long as HBO keep doing a good job at filming it.

1. [...] A Game of Thrones fan site winter-is-coming.net is reporting a rumor that HBO is going to order two more seasons of their hit TV show, A Game of Thrones. According to the story, cast and crew filming in Northern Ireland have already been told to expect a…. [...]

2. [...] = true; s.src = 'http://widgets.digg.com/buttons.js'; s1.parentNode.insertBefore(s, s1); })(); Via winter-is-coming.net: A Storm of Swords US paperbackWe reported on this in another post, but the rumors continue to [...]

3. [...] is reporting an unconfirmed rumor that HBO has purchased two more seasons of their successful adaptation of George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, Game [...]

4. [...] Winter is coming Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. Deixe um comentário by [...]

5. [...] Winter is Coming Tweet Share on Tumblr TAGS » Game of Thrones, HBO, Song of Fire and [...]

6. [...] Klingt also so, als wäre alles in Butter, richtig? Jep. Aber es ist eben noch nicht offiziell. [Winter is coming] [...]

7. [...] Game of Thrones News of the Day: Game of Thrones fansite Winter-is-Coming reports that HBO may be planning to order seasons 3 and 4 of the show and film them back-to-back. [...]

8. [...] always, we like to take rumors here with a grain of salt — but when they come from the respected Winter Is Coming Games of Thrones fan website, and indicate that HBO is planning to order more seasons of [...]

9. [...] screen with just a 10 episode order. Well, HBO might have found a really good solution for that. Winter Is Coming has heard from multiple sources that HBO might renew the series for two seasons shot back-to-back [...]

10. [...] Winter is Coming reports that it’s looking like the third and fourth season will not only be ordered together [...]

11. [...] Winter is Coming reports seasons three and four, which are supposedly in the process of being ordered, will be filmed back to back. They’ve heard this from crew members who are being told to prepare for a long shoot somewhere in the future. This has many, myself included, guessing those two seasons will cover A Storm of Swords. Earlier interviews with showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss  led me to believe they were against splitting any of the books, but really, I don’t know how they thought they’d get away with that for long. Every book only gets thicker and after all the praise they recieved for how well they adapted the source material, needing to split books over seasons seems a no brainer. [...]

12. [...] screen with just a 10 episode order. Well, HBO might have found a really good solution for that. Winter Is Coming has heard from multiple sources that HBO might renew the series for two seasons shot back-to-back [...]

13. [...] even premiere until April, rumors are already swirling about seasons beyond. The series fansite Winter is Coming has apparently heard from multiple sources that HBO is planning to order seasons three and four of [...]

14. [...] como un producto del fértil terreno de la anticipación, no obstante en el sitio de fanáticos Winter is Coming (vía BadassDigest), ponen su cabeza en juego asegurando que la información la vienen escuchando [...]

15. [...] Winter Is Coming and Suvudu, a blog maintained by Martin’s publisher, Random House, appear to agree that this [...]

16. [...] Winter is Coming] Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Fantasy, [...]

17. [...] Winter Is Coming fills us in on the hot rumor: We are now hearing from multiple sources that HBO plans to order both seasons three and four and film them back-to-back (à la Lord of the Rings). It has already been confirmed that A Storm of Swords would be covered in more than one season. From what we have heard, much of the film crew in Northern Ireland has been told of this plan and has been advised to expect nine months of filming next year. [...]

18. [...] ge­dreht wer­den sol­len. Die In­for­ma­tio­nen wer­den ver­brei­tet über die Fan­seite winter-is-coming.net, und die wol­len die In­for­ma­tio­nen von der Film­crew aus Nord­ir­land ha­ben. Das Buch [...]

19. [...] o site Winter-Is-Coming, o canal já planeja encomendar mais duas temporadas da série. De acordo os rumores, as possíveis [...]

20. [...] apace, and the Season One DVD hitting stores on March 6th of next year, HBO is starting to float rumors on how they plan to handle things going forward. We are now hearing from multiple sources that [...]

21. [...] Winter-Is-Coming Tags: Game of Thrones, HBO | Category: News, [...]

22. [...] Rumor de que “Game of Thrones” terá direito a mais duas temporadas e que serão filmadas sem pausa. [...]

23. [...] sider ned på én enkelt sæson af tv-serien. Men not to worry, for samtidig kan man læse på Winteriscoming.net, at HBO sandsynligvis planlægger at filme sæson tre og fire samtidig, ligesom det også var [...]