Game of Thrones Season One DVD/Blu-Ray gets official release date!
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

Game of Thrones Season One Blu-RayEntertainment Weekly has the scoop: the Game of Thrones Season One DVD/Blu-Ray will release on March 6th, 2012! And that’s not all, they also have the official listing of the special features included in the set; as well as screen caps of some of the artwork, menus, and special features. And to top it all off they have a short clip from one of the making-of videos, “Anatomy of an Episode.”

Here are James Hibberd’s thoughts on what he has been able to view of the set so far:

The fantasy drama is arguably the most anticipated DVD release for a TV series that’s aired this year. And with the show’s expected home video revenue factored as a major player in the show’s finances, it’s no surprise HBO has pulled out all the stops. Based on the two disks I previewed, Thrones was given a lavish presentation. The sophisticated menu navigation and behind-the-scenes extras that are on par with DVD sets from hit movies rather than what fans typically receive for TV shows.

I’ve included the full list of special features after the break. For the rest of the goodies, hit up EW.com. The MSRP for the set is $79.98 for BD and $59.99 for standard-def DVD. You can pre-order it now via Amazon or the HBO Shop.

Winter Is Coming: March 6th! That’s a bit earlier than we had expected. The list of features looks great. I love the glimpses of some of the menus and behind the scenes stuff. It looks to be really top quality. Can’t wait to watch this over and over!

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season special features (DVD and Blu-Ray):

Complete Guide to Westeros
“An interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.”

Making Game of Thrones
“An exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.”

Character Profiles
“Profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.”

Creating the Show Open

“An inside look at the creation of the Emmy-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.”

From the Book to the Screen
“Executive producers David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, and author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin’s epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.”

The Night’s Watch
“An in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.”

Creating the Dothraki Language
“An insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.”

Audio Commentaries
“Seven audio commentaries with Cast and Crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, and more.”

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season special features (Blu-Ray only):

Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros
“An interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves.”

In-Episode Guide
“In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays.”

Anatomy of an Episode
“An in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, ‘A Golden Crown.’”

Hidden Dragon Eggs
“Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.”

1. Elena Amici
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

first!
    Anyway, I REALLY want to watch those Dragon Eggs *_*

ETA: I LOVE that horse heart pic. I LOL’d

2. TJ Flynn
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Amazon Prime has the Blu-Ray for $55 right now for pre-order. No deleted scenes (sad face), I knew none would be on there but still a bummer.

3. Brad Villane
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Where/what the hell is up with that frame from one of the trailers last year showing Ned with a rope around his neck in the throne room with the Mad King in the background?

Saving it for another scene?

4. Mario Mjoed
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

wasnt there some rumor about audition tapes? :(

5. Elena Amici
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Mario Mjoed:
    wasnt there some rumor about audition tapes? :(

I think the Dragon’s Eggs ARE the auditions

6. Sanette
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

If those dragon eggs are auditions, then I’m totally buying the blu-ray edition and I don’t even have a blu-ray player:D

7. The Rabbit
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Sounds great!
    And it comes out almost for my B-day :)
    happy bunny!

8. Andy
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Aren’t they going to have the cast auditions??? D&D specifically said that they will be included in the Bluray set. I was looking forward to them.

9. Lisa
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Yay, wonderful. That’s gonna be a belated birthday present from me for me. :D

10. Hollyoak
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I will be getting this.

And also upgrading my 720p TV 1080p!

Looking forward to the episode commentaries.

11. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

If only they could’ve gotten it out in time for Capitalist Day (i.e. Xmas)… But, March sounds good to me. Just in time for the 2nd season. Looking forward to all the special features.

12. Johan Sporre
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I’m really interested in all the Bluray-only features, so I guess I have to buy one of those (+ a player).

13. Violentos
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Honestly, this long of a wait from television to Blu Ray is simply appalling. It should have come out in September, not 6 months later… I was personally holding off on visiting the piratebay, but there is no way I’m waiting that long. I was perfectly willing to shell out cash for it, but it’s HBO’s own fault. Way to go marketing, way. to. go.

Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Violentos, well they’ve been doing it like this for a long time and they keep doing it like this so apparently they feel it is the way that makes them the most money. *shrug*

15. kevin
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Brad Villane:

Saving it for another scene?

I finally found that little clip. That should actually be Brandon, not Ned though.

16. Dale Rippke
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

This is coming out three days before my birthday. I know what my wife is getting me!

17. Jenn
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

The in episode guide on my Rome DVDs are my favorite feature in it. It must be even more fantastic for GOT. Damn, now I’ll have to buy the blue ray…

18. Flouride
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

I would imagine the “late” release date has something to do with the all foreign rights HBO has sold. For example here in Finland they sold the rights 1st to Canal+ (costs about 30 euros a month) and to YLE (BBC of Finland) which is basically free for everyone. YLE will start airing S1 in January. Had HBO released the boxsets for the holiday season YLE and other channels that are airing the show later on would be screwed.

19. Wolfheart
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I prefer the look of the European box covers.

20. John
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

What I find funny about HBO is that they still haven’t released the dvd for the first season of BE and the second season is almost ending , you would think that after all the hype the show got and the awards, they would be releasing it earlier but I guess not .

21. Chris77
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I will totally buy those blue rays, but I would also have liked to see some deleted scenes (Brandon/Aerys, extended Hound/Mountain battle etc.)
    They should put in some extended previews of Season 2…

22. John
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Oh, did I mention that the ratings for the second season of BE have slowly declined ? Let’s hope that it’s not the same with GOT .

23. G_Lee
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Awesome, I’m so looking forward to the blu-rays. Too bad they don’t bring out a limited special edition in a nice cool box with a big map of Westeros and other stuff as an extra. I would totally buy that too, even if it cost me 200$.

And yes, the release date is waaay too late. I can’t understand that at all. If they have the discs ready to go (which they MUST have if EW has seen them) why not release them now, a month before Christmas? This is a complete disaster.
    Well, they may have done it this way for ages… so what? Then they’ve done it completely WRONG for ages in my opinion. Anyways, no way to change it now, so March will have to do.
    Just hope they’ll learn for season 2.

24. Wolfheart
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Chris77:
    They should put in some extended previews of Season 2…

They said they didn’t film them. But we know better. Lets hope they are on the Blurays. Conan said they filmed quite a bit of the hound/mountain stuff but only put in the show very little. AND we saw brief clips of Brandon being strangled in front of Mad Aerys. I want to see those scenes too.

25. Elena Amici
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

John:

the reason is that BE first episode aired in a HBO-free weekend. There were more than 5mln viewers, not all of them HBO customers. GoT ratings have increased, so there’ s no need to worry yet :)

26. Condescending Conrad
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

It’s not a mistake at all. They release the DVDs just before the next season as part of the promotion. HBO almost always do this. If it helps the ratings, then I’m all for it. Certainly not a “disaster”.

27. Lars
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

G_Lee: And yes, the release date is waaay too late. I can’t understand that at all. If they have the discs ready to go (which they MUST have if EW has seen them) why not release them now, a month before Christmas? This is a complete disaster

A complete disaster? LOL. What to they know, they should surely ask you for business advice.

The reason for this release date a month before season 2 is obvious – To time the maximum amount of hype and viewer interest for season 2. It worked great for True Blood, and HBO is using the same tactic here.

28. OhDanyBoy
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

John:

Well, BE declined its entire first season as well, if I recall correctly. Since GoT improved every week last season, I doubt this will be a problem for our show.

29. Lina
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Maybe I missed something: Are the extras all the videos we’ve already seen, or new stuff? The descriptions sound identical to all the making-of and profile videos we saw before the show debuted. The guide to Westeros that plays while you watch sounds great, especially for people like my parents, who were calling Dany “white-haired girl” until maybe episode 6, when they started calling her “Drogo’s wife.”

I’m actually relieved about the price. I know it’s only one season but I was afraid it’d be topping out at near $100.

30. Hilda
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait!!! Looks amazing! What sucks is after the long,super hot summer here in South Texas,all I have been looking forward to is a long,cold winter. Its not cool to want spring to be here already….but damnit I want March here now!

31. PremRack
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

It was very overhyped (Martin Scorsese etc.) and (IMO) boring and phony. I’m not surprised in the slightest.

32. dizzy_34
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Give us the Brandon scene please. Be it an easter (dragon) egg or whatever.

33. john
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

They’re releasing it so late to maintain the sense of exclusivity in having an HBO subscription AND to get people to sign up for a sub just before the 2nd season airs.

34. dizzy_34
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

PremRack,

Boring and Phony is a little harsh. It’s not for everyone, but this season has been pretty darn good.

35. Steven Scott
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Hopefully Martin isn’t on all 7 commentaries.

36. Steven Scott
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

PremRack,

Season 2 has been much better than the first.

37. Champ
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Flouride: I would imagine the “late” release date has something to do with the all foreign rights HBO has sold.For example here in Finland they sold the rights 1st to Canal+ (costs about 30 euros a month) and to YLE (BBC of Finland) which is basically free for everyone. YLE will start airing S1 in January. Had HBO released the boxsets for the holiday season YLE and other channels that are airing the show later on would be screwed.

…..how would foreign channels be screwed by a US home video release?

And Boardwalk Empire is the best show on TV right now by a long shot. It’s obvious that anyone dissing it hasn’t been watching this season.

38. Langkard
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Just pre-ordered the DVD version from BarnesandNoble.com and got a 35% discount, so it only cost $38.99 and the shipping is free.

39. Elena Amici
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Champ: …..how would foreign channels be screwed by a US home video release?

International shipping? I was in the US last spring and I watched it on HBO. I’m back home now and if S2 DVD came out right after s2, I would buy the DVD on amazon and definitively NOT watch it on Sky Italy (I don’t have Sky, I don’t like the dubbing and I don’t want to wait).
    I’m downloading the show anyway, and I will buy the DVD when it’s time, but a US relase WOULD screw foreign channels.

Anyway, I’ve been watching this season & I agree that BE is great, but some parts are just too slow. There are storylines that I always skip. (If Jimmy dies this season I will stop watching, since his plotline is the most entertaining IMO). I don’t think it’s “the best show on TV” anyway. Sometimes it feels, i don’t know.. fake? cold? Like a wonderful empty box. The package looks great, but there’s nothing inside.

40. Champ
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: International shipping?

DVD/Blu-Ray importation can be costly, ineffective due to region coding, and so few people do it that it’s never considered a serious obstacle to revenue or viewership. So no.

41. Todd L. Ross
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

42. Greatjon
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

It’s more important to HBO to sell subscriptions than it is to sell DVDs. I don’t think anyone disagrees that the box set would probably sell better during the holiday season, but that would be a long time for new viewers’ interest to remain piqued before season 2 begins.

43. Mormegil
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Great news about the DVD release.

Maybe not so great news for some Season 2 Characters.

In this piece on GoT on Icelandic TV DB Weiss says that some characters that survive in the book(s) will die in the show.

44. surfKraken
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I wonder how this search for dragon eggs works?!?!

Its going to be a dragon egg hunt for Easter!

45. Elena Amici
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Mormegil:

Any ideas?
    I’m looking at YOU, Pyat Pree

Greatjon:

It’s more important to HBO to sell subscriptions than it is to sell DVDs.

i’m not sure about this

46. Mirri Maz
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

The delay is because of international airing rights, i’m sure they make tons of money out of selling each episode (the number for each episode was mentioned last year) and I’m sure channels want to get enough airings before the DVDs ship.

Anyways this looks amazing, the menus look amazing everything is freaking amazing. Also apparently it already went to number one on iTunes in Germany, France and Australia on pre orders.

47. Sean Fan
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Todd L. Ross: I guess my vain hope of getting the original pilot was silly… I want to see that soo badly. Jeniffer ehle as Caitlyn particularly.

They would never incude that because of the previous contracts with the former actors that had those roles that were recast. Most main stars (or bigger names) get a % cut of all future merchandising and DVD sales (if they have a good agent! LOL!). I’m sure most of them (at least Jennifer Ehle) had that clause so if they showed those scenes in the pilot with the original actors, they would be entitled to collect the royalties from a film they actually never appeared in!

I know it doesn’t list “deleted scenes” (would love to have seen a “goofs and flubs” segment also!) but won’t this cover some of the deleted stuff or is this something totally different………??“An exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set ……..”

48. john
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,
    Uhh, what? HBO’s whole business model is based on subscriptions. That is what funds the show. It’s definitely not because of foreign viewership either, especially since the show is already out in the biggest markets (UK and so on). Subscriptions numbers mean everything for HBO.

49. Robett, the Mighty Warhammer
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Have. to. get. it!!! Now!!! Can’t wait that long! Are there any differences in the european dvds (cover, release date…)?????
    Hope that the dragon eggs include the auditions. And it would be good if there was a surprise, something that didn’t come out before the release…

50. Knurk
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Looks flawless.

Wolfheart:
    I prefer the look of the European box covers.

What are you talking about, which European boxcovers? On Amazon.co.uk they show fake covers at the moment.

51. Elena Amici
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

john:

yes, but DVD sales are important too, almost as much as submissions. I know many people who don’t have HBO but buy the DVD

52. Sean Fan
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Do you think they might include the deleted scenes perhaps here?

53. Knurk
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Interesting extra’s for Europeans: Amazon.co.uk will be delivering the blu-ray with an extra bonus-disc named ‘creating the visuals’ and Play.com will have an exclusive photobook.

54. Mormegil
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Sean Fan: I just looked up the definition of “DVD easter egg” on Wikipedia ( I love the name change to “dragon eggs” for the DVD!) It says:“Easter eggs are also found on movie DVDs. In some cases, an extra click to the right or left, or going up in the menu instead of going down to select a choice will bring up a hidden feature (usually a random object on screen will be highlighted for selection), including concept art, humorous outtakes, or deleted scenes.”Do you think they might include the deleted scenes perhaps here?

In the EW Article James Hibbard says that there are no deleted scenes, he also says he was sworn to secrecy on the contents of the Dragon/Easter Eggs suggesting that they do not include deleted scenes.

55. Elena Amici
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Knurk:

:D

56. Chris77
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

57. TJ Flynn
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Violentos,

One of the main reasons the DVD and Blu-Ray sets are being released in March is because it lends as a promotional/marketing tool for season 2 in April. A marketing tool that generates profits, so it isn’t an empty marketing method, it’s actually conducive. Pirate Bay won’t give you extra features though, which is the main reason to buy these sets.

58. Flouride
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Champ: …..how would foreign channels be screwed by a US home video release?

International shipping and piracy combined would be bad for HBO and some of the broadcasters outside of USA. If they only release it in USA for the holiday season loads of people will get the series either by downloading it or buying it. Thus taking viewers from the foreign broadcasters who paid for the show. Let’s not forget that HBO made about 50 million dollars with those rights according to some sources.

Pirates would be on those boxsets as well, and that would cost HBO money. Yes, some will pirate the show no matter what, but if they release it simultaneously in most of the markets people don’t “have to” turn into piracy to be able to see them. If you look at video games for example, there are people who will pirate games just because they are released 3 days earlier in USA than in Europe. Because they don’t want to wait. (Pirated copies may actually be available 1½ weeks before the European release). After they pirate it, how many do you think will buy it instantly it comes out, how many will rather wait for it to get cheaper since they already got it burned on DVD/BR and how many won’t get it all because they got it as a pirated copy?

And I imagine a lot of people in Europe would be somewhat pissed off that the boxsets are released 3 to 4 months earlier in USA than in Europe. Not just the business people, but fans/customers waiting to get their hands on those boxsets as well. People don’t want to be treated like 2nd class.

And it’s also a marketing tool in USA and here in Europe. People who’ve just seen the first 8 episodes on TV see the boxsets in stores, they are more likely to pick it up right then than someone who don’t even know what GoT is because they haven’t seen it.

59. Nathanyel
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

“never-before-scene” har :D
    Lemme guess, short for “outtakes of things you should never do before a scene”?

60. FilliamHMuffman
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Maybe they plan to recycle the Aerys/Brandon scene for the House of the Undying episode.

61. Mormegil
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Chris77: Maybe they Show the Brandon scene in the History section;) GoT got nearly 100% positive reviews on iTunes Germany. The few non 5 stars reviews are because they germanized the character and location names…

Looking at the EW article the 24 exclusive Histories look to be drawings with voiceover by the characters.

I suppose it’s possible they might have decided to use the scene in that section since they already had it though.

62. Bro
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

An in-depth look at the Night’s Watch. Yessssss! Just what I wanted to hear.

63. Dark Star
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: Any ideas?I’m looking at YOU, Pyat Preei’m not sure about this

Who gets killed??? Hmmmm

I’m thinking someone not too integral to the rest of the story like Ser Kevan Lannister, or Ser Loras Tyrell. You could streamline some plotlines if you remove them.
    Anyway, just a wild guess. My first posting here. Seems like a cool board!

64. Epic fail
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Dark Star,

My guess is Lancel Lannister. I can’t picture him as what he becomes in the books.

By the way, welcome to the wic board. Funny, this is also my first post. And the dvd is coming out on my birthday. Pretty cool.

65. Langkard
    Posted November 30, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

FilliamHMuffman:

That’s an interesting possibility. It would certainly clear one discrepancy: we know there is one scene which wasn’t shown in – that one – and yet we keep being told that everything they shot was used.

66. Burgos
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 2:09 am | Permalink

FilliamHMuffman:

Langkard: That’s an interesting possibility.It would certainly clear one discrepancy: we know there is one scene which wasn’t shown in – that one – and yet we keep being told that everything they shot was used.

If I remember right isn’t there something of that nature while she is inside of the house of undying? Been a while since I read it and can’t remember for sure.

BlueRay set looks great. Can’t wait.

67. Razha
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

I got the impression that unexpected people will die in “Jon’s storiline” – so it could be Gared for example or other NW character that they will build up during the first few episodes and then kill just when we begin to like him……..

68. Elena Amici
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Dark Star: My first posting here. Seems like a cool board!

Welcome then!
    are you of the night? :D

69. Kroket
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I only have a DVD-player but it’s a good thing my computer can play Blue-Rays and with a 22′ screen it should be very watchable!! Can’t wait for the extras. Only question is will it come out in Holland or will we be forced to buy online… Show isn’t airing here on TV yet despite the fact that Carice is in the 2nd season. We are probably the only country alongside North Korea that doesn’t air the show yet on Tv…

70. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Dark Star,

Welcome to the board!

That said, don’t let Epic fool you. He’s been here for a while. He’s very jokey. All Wic-ans are subjected to his wit. Kind of an initiation.

71. Elena Amici
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: He’s very jokey

this is an understatement

72. Jess
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

SO EXCITED! HBO, you’ll be getting my money!

73. Violentos
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

TJ Flynn:
    Violentos,

I’m certain that the way they’re doing it now is making some fans rather antsy or even angry, heck I’m one of those fans.

74. Knurk
    Posted December 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Kroket:
    I only have a DVD-player but it’s a good thing my computer can play Blue-Rays and with a 22′screen it should be very watchable!! Can’t wait for the extras. Only question is will it come out in Holland or willwe be forced to buy online… Show isn’t airing here on TV yet despite the fact that Carice is in the 2nd season. We are probably the only country alongside North Korea that doesn’t air the show yet on Tv…

I recently contacted Ziggo and they literally told me they had no clue when they were going to make the episodes available. If I were you I’d order it from Amazon.co.uk, way cheaper than dutch retail prices and it will most likely have dutch subtitles.

75. TJ Flynn
    Posted December 2, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Violentos: Yes, I understand this tactic in marketing, however some would argue that releasing it midway between television airing and blu-ray release would allow more people to attain and watch the previous season before the next season starts airing. Wouldn’t that be better in the long run for drawing in the most viewers possible?

Maybe, but a lot of factors go into it, and HBO pretty much already has a solid base of subscribers. It’s not like other shows on major networks where people can freely drop in and out on a show. Most people subscribe to a premium network only during certain times of the year, it’s more monthly based than annual. I for one only subscribe to HBO from Oct. to Dec. and from March to June. That’s when my shows are on and that away I only pay half the year.

I completely agree with you though, I wish they would be released earlier, especially since the holidays are right around the corner. Unfortunately money rules the roost, and HBO decided that releasing it in March was most beneficial monetarily. The interest will be peeked by then, with season 2 promos and what not, so it’s probably better in the long run.

76. loco73
    Posted December 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Finally! I’ll definitely mark March 6th on my calendary! I wish they would have released Season One now in December, but what the hell, I’ll suck it up and wait until next year.

1. [...] A thought about Game of Thrones on TV DVD release of Season One confirmed for 6th March, 2012 http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/11/…-release-date/ Maybe I'll get an IOU in my Christmas [...]

2. [...] The history of the second season is more or less this: there were going to be three or four more seasons after the first one, but someone somewhere decided that Rome was too expensive, and HBO cancelled it. If there’s one thing HBO is good at besides making good shows, it’s pissing off everyone who likes those good shows by either canceling them or releasing the DVD a decade after the show aired. [...]