In the meantime … GoTcast?
By Fire And Blood on in Editorial.

Can’t wait ’til the March release of the Game of Thrones DVD? Dying for something to whet your whistle while you stew for season 2 to land in April? Does your need for Donald Sumpter—any Donald Sumpter—override your usual common sense?

Never fret, Gatewatch loyalists! FaBio here, with a heaping helping of films and shows suggested for your perusal and consumption. “But FaB,” you cry. “Why would we even be interested in anything not Game of Thronesey?”

Ah, but that’s the trick! They are Thronesey—since they feature actors from the cast of GoT. So you might be interested in…

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Dec 21, ’11): Murder! Intrigue! Sex! A soundtrack by Trent Reznor! As well as Donald Sumpter in the role of Detective Gustav Morell. Looks frickin’ sweet, if by “sweet” I actually mean completely freaky and hardcore and slightly badass.

The Iron Lady (Jan 6, ’12): Meryl Streep is already a frontrunner for the Oscar nod in the role of British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, but our eyes will be peeled for the amazing Harry Lloyd as young Denis Thatcher, and Susan Brown, our beloved septa, in the role of June.

Underworld Awakening (Jan 12, ’12): Possible proof that Tywin Lannister is undead; Charles Dance has a yet-unnamed role in the bloodsucking Underworld franchise. I’m guessing he plays a vampire. But it’s a pretty good guess, right?

Junk: (Feb 4, ’12) This sci-fi thriller (set in a world where all drugs are legal) boasts not one, not two, but three Thrones alum: Harry Lloyd, Gethin Anthony, and Josef Altin are all featured in this sucker. There’s no way I’m missing it.

Bel Ami (March 2, ’12): Sure, the Robert Pattinson fans may be screaming for something other than a Twilight film, but I find this story much more compelling—especially since it costars Natalia Tena as Rachel in this Parisian tale of old.

Mirror Mirror (March 12, ’12): Sure, many people are calling this the sad cousin to the upcoming Snow White and the Huntsman. But this movie, a comedy, actually managed to crown Ned Stark, so I’m calling it better. That’s right—our very own Sean Bean will be featured in the role of The King. Dude has Julia Roberts for his wife. That’s good, right?

(Also on Sean’s platter is another Peter Pan redux in which he plays the role of—I couldn’t believe it either—Captain Hook’s crony Smee, not to mention stepping back into the boots of Zeus for the Percy Jackson sequel.)

The Cold Light of Day (April 6, ’12): Benjen and Superman together? Why not? Joseph Mawle stars with Henry Cavill, Bruce Willis, and Sigourney Weaver in this kidnap thriller set in Spain.

Bullet To The Head (April 13, ’12): The Khal rides again! Jason Momoa stars as Keegan in this Sylvester Stallone cop-meets-hitman love fest. Christian Slater also stars, but seriously… you had me at Momoa and Stallone.

Other interesting GoTcast movies that come after April or don’t have release dates as yet:

Knights of Badassdom: The release date keeps getting changed, but surely they can take advantage of Peter Dinklage and his Emmy to actually get this thing to come out, right? Co-starring Ryan Kwanten, Steve Zahn, and Summer Glau? About LARPers? Yes please.

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D: More for Sean Bean, who will reprise his role as Christopher Da Silva and will star alongside Kit Harington, who will play Vincent. No, we don’t need another cheap 3D movie. But a chance to see Ned and Jon together one last time? I might pay to see that.

(Also for Kit in the far-far future is his turn as King Arthur in Arthur & Lancelot, now in pre-production. Jon becomes king!)

Prometheus (8 June ’12): Not only does this Alien prequel by Ridley Scott boast some already-amazing talent (Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, Guy Pierce…) but it also features two Thrones alum, Kate Dickie and Emun Elliott. Perhaps Lysa and Marillion are fated to meet after all!

Dredd: Can anything be better than Sylvester Stallone’s depiction of Judge Dredd? We’re kind of betting on it. The bonus being that Lena Headey will be playing the villainous Madeline “Ma-Ma” Madrigal. Can’t wait to see the scars. Oh, wait, here are some pics!

Mama: A horror flick starring Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. What happened to those girls in the forest??

Shadow Dancer: Littlefinger might like this. Aiden Gillen will costar along with Clive Owen and Gillian Anderson in this rebellious IRA-based thriller.

Television series:

Borgia: This series (not to be confused with Showtime’s The Borgias) is ongoing, and features John Bradley as Giovani De Medici! Brought to us by Canal+ and filmed in beautiful Prague, it also stars The Wire‘s John Doman as Rodrigo Borgia.

Great Expectations stars Mark Addy in the role of Pumblechook. This project is filming as we speak.

Titanic: Blood and Steel: A television series about… the Paint Hall in Belfast? Well why not?! Ian McElhinney will play Sir Henry Carlton in this tale about White Star Lines and the great and tragic ship it built.

Last but not least, Conan Stevens is in more projects than I can shake a stick at. (And they don’t even list his bow in Spartacus.) I guess “The Plan” is working!

So there you have it, your slightly-complete list of must-see GoTcast entertainment for 2012. (This is where you all chime in and add to my list. Unless you’re willing to concede, finally and without remorse, that I am brilliant and know more than any of you!)

Who’s excited for what?

1. Brett
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:11 am | Permalink

I’m very happy that there’s a second Silent Hill film coming out. The first one is my second favorite video game movie, with great atmosphere and a non-ass-kicking protagonist.

2. The Lightning Lord
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Nice idea – it’s always cool to hear how other GoT castmembers are doing outside the show. You should also probably add Emilia Clarke’s starring role in next year’s Overdrive, along with Karl Urban and Ben Barnes. Also, Iain Glen will be in The Iron Lady as well, so that film definitely deserves a watch. And though this is mostly in the rumor territory, Richard Madden is in testing for the role of Tetsuo in Warner Bros’ Akira film.

3. Lady of Tarth
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Iain Glen is also in The Iron Lady. Great so see everyone so busy with projects during the GoT hiatus. Hope I can catch some of them! But I think even Ned Stark wouldn’t bring me to see the Snow White movie… I’m much more interested in the Peter Pan adaptation.

Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Oho, FaB! Nice one. You’re great at compiling these babies, I admire your dedication.

Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:40 am | Permalink

Oh, and Harry Lloyd had a cameo in the new Jane Eyre. Old news now :P

6. viv t
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:00 am | Permalink

Ahem, Iain Glen is in Season 2 of Downton Abbey. From Ser Jorah to Sir Richard.

7. Rero
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:02 am | Permalink

You are forgetting ‘Miss Minoes’ with new GoT castmember Carice van Houten as Miss Minoes. This family movie will be shown in selected US theatres, starting december 23th. See: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/poster-premiere-carice-van-houten-adorable-39miss-minoes39-exclusive/5633?wssac=164&wssaffid=news

8. durandal
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:31 am | Permalink

NCW also played a young Butch Cassidy in “Blackthorn”.

9. LL
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Already seen Borgia and that was a pleasure to meet Sam again !

10. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:38 am | Permalink

I knew about many of them and, yes, I’m excited.
    Especially about Knights of Badassdom. Besides Peter, Summer Glau is in it. I have this huge girl crush on Summer Glau, and I really hope Ryan Kwanten won’t bother wearing a shirt. Please :)

Also, I do want to watch Silent Hill. A lot. The game is one of my favorites, and I really liked the first one… my biggest problem is with the 3d. I don’t like 3D -_-”
    Also, I’d like to know why there’s no release date yet. I mean, filming it like 7 months ago!

viv t:
    Ahem, Iain Glen is in Season 2 of Downton Abbey. From Ser Jorah to Sir Richard.

I kinda hate him. He’s creepier than Book!Jorah.

11. Myriam
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:56 am | Permalink

12. Shinyteapot
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Myriam,

Iain Glen is a brilliant actor, he somehow seems to be completely different in every role. I’ve seen him in other things and spent quite a long time thinking ‘is it him? looks a little bit like him, but no, he’s too different, it must be someone else’. Really very talented.

13. Myriam
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

I know that feeling! I never even recognized him in Pope Joan, I totally loathed his character but I kept thinking “what a great actor, now where do I know him from?”. :-) I thought the voice sounded somewhat familiar but I couldn’t place him until I saw the credits at the end.

14. Lisa
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Elena Amici:

There should be a 2D version in the cinemas as well. At least I hope so, because otherwise I wouldn’t be able to see it and I really want to!

15. Daan
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Rero,

Minoes is actually and old movie (well oldish, 2001). I don’t know but I can imagine new audio was recorded for this late US release. I saw the original years ago and it is really cute.

16. Icebird
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Should you choose to post a list of favorite past movies GoT actors/actresses are in I’d appreciate it. I doubt I’ve seen more than a handful (aside from Sean Bean) and I’d love to throw a bunch in my Netflix queue.

That said, I’d strongly reccomend Black Book with Carice Van Houten. She’s amazing!

17. emma
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

The film Harry Brown had Walder Frey & Jorah Mormont in it, as well as the creepy assassin guy from the Borgias. A really good film.

Robb Stark was in the TV show ‘Sirens’ (but I don’t like seeing him kiss boys)

Brett:

Really? I was so looking forward to the 1st film, went to the cinema with eager anticipation…. Dog poo! The only goods bit was when the woman had her skin peeled off, I laughed my head off :D

Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Don’t forget The Awakening which has Joseph Mawle and Isaac Hempstead-Wright. Can you spot them in the trailer?

19. emma
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Oooh, I am looking forward to the new Dredd film though… as much as people mock the first attempt, it holds a special place in my heart as I love Rob Schneider ( I don’t know why, I just do)

As to Prometheus… I’m a HUGE Aliens fan so I’m not looking forward to this at all… even if Rory Mccann, Kit Harrington & Emilia Clarke were all in it (well, if RM was in it…hmmmm…)

20. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

emma: Robb Stark was in the TV show ‘Sirens’ (but I don’t like seeing him kiss boys)

I do like seeing him naked.
    (I’m feeling incredibly shallow today)

21. jellydonut
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Yes, Charles Dance is playing a vampire in underworld. It is revealed in the trailer.

22. Andy
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Don’t forget Illyrio (Roger Allam) plays political strategist Gordon Reece in the Iron Lady! Can’t quite believe that this is the film I’m most looking forward to next year besides the Dark Knight Rises…

23. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Did anyone mention NCW in Headhunters. Seems realy cool. Hope it gets an international release:

Also this is a bit off topic but something that anoys me to no extend. Why does Hollywood want to do a Millenium remake while they’re allready are these brilliant near perfect films out there? And more unexplainably why didn’t they cast Noomi Rapace who’s obviously making a break in Hollywood (SH Game of Shadows, Prometheus) as Lisbeth Salander?

24. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

The mention of Silent Hill movies sends me into alternating fits of rage and depression, but many of the others look legitimately interesting and there are a lot there I hadn’t heard of, so yay!

25. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

In case anyone wants to point it out to me. I know unexplainably should be inexplicably. That’s what you get when you type faster than you think.

26. Chai_latte
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Winterdark: Also this is a bit off topic but something that anoys me to no extend. Why does Hollywood want to do a Millenium remake while they’re allready are these brilliant near perfect films out there?

Most likely for profit. Hollywood producers either seem to have this assumption that moviegoers are stupid, or they just want to dumb down movies anyway. For a film to do well at the box office, (a) it needs recognizable, bankable stars (such as Daniel Craig) and (b) it cannot be in a foreign language.

Going back on-topic: I wasn’t so sold with The Iron Lady, but I might just watch it because of all the GoT actors in the cast!

27. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Chai_latte: and (b) it cannot be in a foreign language.

And, of course, no one in the US knows what dubbing is ._.

28. Lise Bollum
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

I can absolutely recommend Hodejegerne (Headhunters). I rewatched it last night, in fact. It is a highly enjoyable action thriller with a tinge of comedy thrown in. Without spoiling anything, I dare say that NCW’s character is a bit of an arse – in a way that’s fun to watch.

They just released it on blu-ray/dvd here, but sadly, this version has no English subtitles for non-Scandinavian viewers.

29. Chai_latte
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Elena Amici

Dubbing will still label a movie as “foreign”. :/

Personally, I find dubbing very distracting. Subtitles are better. Even if the movie is in a language I don’t understand, it’s interesting to at least hear the cadence and intonation of the actors. Unfortunately, there is also the assumption that moviegoers can’t or don’t want to read…

30. userj
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

O_O WHY EVER NOT???

Myriam: Yeah, Sir Richard is creepy. You should check out the Jack Taylor TV movies, Iain Glen is brilliant and at least sort of a nicer character, though a bit flawed.

lol I came on here to say why wasn’t Downton Abbey S2/Iain Glen mentioned, since that will be out this spring in the US. But, it looks like his other fans have beat me too it. ;) Also yeah, Sir Richard is just… creepy. Ick. He plays a lot of creeps/villains, though.

Oh also I don’t think Jack Taylor is released anywhere except Ireland (yet, anyway)…

31. Chai_latte
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Icebird,

Ooh. Great idea. A list of of notable past movies/shows would be awesome. My favorite trivia: Roger Allam (Illyrio) was the original Javert in the London version of Les Miserables the musical. I loved Les Miz as a kid and would play the soundtrack over and over again. Had no idea that Illyrio was the same guy who sang “Stars”!

32. Lisa
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Chai_latte:
    Elena Amici

Dubbing will still label a movie as “foreign”.:/

Dubbing is very distracting but in some countries you don’t really have a choice because everything is dubbed (well, the choice would be to wait for the DVD). It’s so annoying!

33. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Chai_latte,

Yeah you’re probably right. At least they’ve got a good director who might make something out of it though I doubt it’s gonna be better than the Swedish film. But as far as box office goes, in Holland where I live the Millenium films did incredibly well. They aired multiple times a day and both times I went (first to see the first film than later to see all three in a marathon) it was full house. Then again in Holland all non-Dutch movies are released with subs so we’re kinda used to it.

Elena Amici,

I’m allmost glad for that. I hate dubbed movies, long live subtitles! But then again that’s probably just a matter of what you’re used to. Like I said in Holland we use subs so I grew up with that and can’t stand films being in a different language than the original and different voices than those of the people you see on screen but I can imagine if you live in Germany or Italy and you grew up with dubbed films you’re probably very annoyed by the text that keeps popping up on screen.

Lise Bollum,

So he’s a bit like Jaime in the beginning of season 1? Hope they release it soon here in Holland. Though I’m sure they will. We basically get all the Scandinavian crime series and movies. From Beck to Those who Kill(Den som Braeder) Only no Maria Wern urgh!

34. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Chai_latte: Dubbing will still label a movie as “foreign”. :/

Personally, I find dubbing very distracting. Subtitles are better.

It would, but it would be way less stupid than filming an identical remake
    I don’t like it too, but i think it’s a matter of personal opinion. If I can understand the original language, then I prefer watching the original version, but often subs are distracting. I’m a very fast reader, but I know that many people can’t follow the story and read subs at the same time.
    Here in italy, almost all the stuff you can watch on TV/movie theater is foreign, mainly american, but we have a great dubbing industry. I guess I think it’s normal because it’s so common here, and I’ve grown up thinking of it as a normal thing all my life. I was actually shocked when I realized this is not a normal thing in other countries :)
    (I found out trying to watch the Girl With The Dragon Tatto on demand. I was like “WFT is this? Subtitles?” and my american friends were like “Are you serioulsy telling me you’ve never watched a foreign movie with subs on TV before?”)

35. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Chai_latte: Personally, I find dubbing very distracting. Subtitles are better. Even if the movie is in a language I don’t understand, it’s interesting to at least hear the cadence and intonation of the actors.

Yeah, subtitles are so much better than dubbing! (as we’ve discussed here to great length before)

I recently watched the original version of The Killing (so the Danish Forbrydelsen, not the American remake) and found it really interesting to get to know Danish a bit. I don’t say that I can go to Denmark now and get by with my knowledge, but I can now pick out the individual words and understand some of them, and have a feel for the general intonation of the language. And this is Danish we’re talking about, which in my opinion is one of the harder-to-understand European languages out there. So for people in big countries like the US: if there’s a language you’d like to get to know but are too lazy to really learn by following courses, try watching subtitled series or movies! It’s how I learned my English ;-)

36. Lisa
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Winterdark:

I’m allmost glad for that. I hate dubbed movies, long live subtitles! But then again that’s probably just a matter of what you’re used to. Like I said in Holland we use subs so I grew up with that and can’t stand films being in a different language than the original and different voices than those ofthe people you see on screen but I can imagine if you live in Germany or Italy and you grew up with dubbed films you’re probably very annoyed by the text that keeps popping up on screen.

Well, speaking as a German here, I can say that I’m very annoyed by dubbing. Especially that the same voice is used for several actors and that so much gets lost during the dubbing (i.e. jokes And then it takes ages until we get new TV programmes because they need to be dubbed. I really wish we could choose whether we want subtitled or dubbed films/series.

37. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Elena Amici: I guess I think it’s normal because it’s so common here, and I’ve grown up thinking of it as a normal thing all my life.

As I said in my comment above, this has been discussed here before (and I don’t want to repeat all of that), but in my opinion dubbing always degrades the quality of the original product. I don’t know Italian so can’t say anything about the quality of dubbing in Italy, but I know it in Germany and France, and with my eyes closed I can tell you wether it’s an original German/French production or wether it’s a foreign movie that was dubbed.

38. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Lisa: OT: New MGoT post: http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2011/12/4/lesson-two-looking-good-vs-staying-alive.html

So is that the new fashion amongst knights in Season 2? :-)

39. Myriam
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

userj,

Jack Taylor will be on German TV in January or February, but of course dubbed… Let’s hope it will make its way across Europe or even across the pond soon in its original version or be released on BluRay.

I’d love to watch that Danish movie with NCW with subtitles, if it’s available somewhere. I’d rather go with subtitles than dubbing.

40. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

I know what you mean, and I agree it lowers the quality of the production. I was just saying that it can be a good thing, because subtitles aren’t always the best choice

41. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

I’m gonna start watching The Killing tonight and am sooo looking forward to it. I’m actually pretty late considering they’re currentl airing season 2 but then again better late than never. And yes, I too learned English through subtitles, well pratially the final bit I learned by watching BBC every day which I still watch very often. Also I’m starting to learn a few Swedish short sentences thanks to subtitles. Not too say that I can actually start a conversation in Swedish.

Myriam,

Actually I think it’s a Swedish movie. Danish sounds more like German. Comparisson:
    Swedish:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvksrEhVvJ0
    Danish:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSAzPkpIM8

Den som Draeber, not Braeder sorry

42. Lisa
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Winterdark:

Danish sounds more like German.

That is an insult! Danish sounds more like a drunken Norwegian who is choking on a chewing gum … sorry, Danes. ;)

43. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Lisa,

LOL! I only watched one Danish series (Those who Kill) and it reminded me of German which is a language that I know and speak a bit. But yeah there are many differences too. Sorry Germans. Now lets hear what the Danes have to say about German.

44. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

Because Noomi Rapace was the only good thing about the Millenium films? Sorry but they could have done a lot better with those films IMO. Larsson’s story deserves a) a David Fincher at the helm and b) a charismatic Blomquist.
    I am probably in the minority on this but I cannot wait for that movie.

45. Lise Bollum
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

A bit more power-hungry and cunning, but yes. Only based on what we learn about Jaime in book/season 1 before we get into his head, I’d say you could draw a couple of parallels between the characters, although they contrast each other in some ways by the motivations behind their actions.

(There’s actually a “Men like you”-scene which is involuntarily amusing when you’ve watched the series – or at least to me it was!)

46. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Best new series in my opinion is Homeland. It doesn’t have any GoT alumni but it does have Damien Lewis who everyone wants to play Edmure Tully.

47. Coltaine777
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I’m most looking forward to Prometheus. The leaked trailer was very impressive and what a cast they have assembled !…

48. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Lisa: well, the choice would be to wait for the DVD

megaupload is your friend :)

Winterdark: I’m gonna start watching The Killing tonight

You mean the original version? i can’t find it :(

Joshua Taylor: Best new series in my opinion is Homeland.

I’m loving Once Upon A Time. Anybody agrees? :D

49. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Yeah, it really depends on what you grew up with I guess. When I go to the cinema now I often automatically start reading the subtitles, even if the movie is in english (my best ‘non-first’ language) and the subtitles are in French (my worst non-first language). I really have to make a concious effort not to read the subtitles!

Lisa,
    Winterdark,

Haha, yes, Danish is quite an elusive language in my opinion. I had some danish friends and if they talked amongst each other it just sounded like one intonationless blob of sound to me. And it’s definitely very different from german, which I speak quite fluently. I wonder if I’d be able to understand something of my friends’ conversation now that I got a bit of the basics from watching Forbrydelsen… probably not :)

50. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: You mean the original version? i can’t find it :(

Try looking for ‘Forbrydelsen’, but really, you WILL need some subtitles :-)

51. Lisa
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: megaupload is your friend :)

Well, I meant legal ways. ;) But yeah, you’re right in that regard.

What just crossed my mind: since Sean and Kit are both in Silent Hill, maybe Ned can talk about Jon’s mother now!? (bad joke, I know).

52. emma
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777:

I’m worried when it comes to any ‘Alien’esque film… Alien 4, AVP & AVP 2… worst films ever. I ignore their existence. However, I’m looking forward to the new Colonial Marines game next Spring.

…I love foreign films. ‘Let the Right One In’ is a master-piece, Pans Labyrinth is also one of my top 5. If they had been dubbed, it would have been awful. Dubbings only good on old karate films IMO :D

53. emma
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Lisa: Well, I meant legal ways. ;) But yeah, you’re right in that regard.

Ha, glad someone wrote that, was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it!

54. andrea
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

J. Mawle is up in the tree like a fairy (I have a Mawle detector for a long time now). I’d like to see a “scary Bran” (“sweet face Bran” it´s hard to forget). Cinematography and “mise en scene” looks great in that trailer. Creepy Jimmy Mc Naulty I´m used to.

55. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I fear I can’t help you there, I bought the DVD from a Durch website called bol.com so unless you understand Dutch that’s not much use to you. Like I said all Scandinavian series and movies are released in Holland. We’re very lucky in that respect. but The Killing has aired on the BBC so maybe they’ll release DVD somewhere in the near future.

Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Subtitles > > > > > > > > dubbing.

57. andrea
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: You mean the original version? i can’t find it :(

Here we can watch it on satellite tv. Maybe it´s the same there?

58. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

emma,

Even if Sir Ridley Scott aka the director of Alien is behind the camera? Now Ridley has had a hit and miss record but his films are never the crap that those ones were.

59. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Winterdark: Elena Amici,

Learning dutch AND danish at the same time might be a bit tricky indeed :) But if Elena wants to buy the DVD, no problem, they sell it on Amazon. However, I get the feeling she’d rather not pay for it (shame on her!), so this might be of help… (I actually looked at EZTVstream first, but they seem to have stupidly overwritten the first four episodes of season one with those of season 2)

60. emma
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

This is true. I will be going to see it, but I’m afraid….so afraid… I feel they should have followed the books where the Aliens get to earth, by a guy called Steve Perry. They were kinda like what would have happened if HIcks & Newt survived, but the names got changed & its set way after Aline 3, but they are really good & falling to pieces after being read so often.

61. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

62. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I looked around a bit. If you want a download which I can’t recommend but let’s admit it we all do it sometimes (well most of us) there is a download of the BBC version on TPB so with English subs. Can’t tell you how reliable it is though

63. Steve Reynolds
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

For stuff that’s around at the moment, Liam Cunningham has a good little 2 episode arc in the second season of Strike Back; a show that has a lot to recommend it.

64. Ali
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

The original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movie is a chilling masterpiece, I highly recommend it.

65. pitchfordisney
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

To add 2 BBCTV dramas; Outcasts, lasted 1 series, lead role for Davos. The Fades recently finished series one and had major roles for Gendy, Gilly and Margaery.

66. Shinyteapot
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Agree subtitles are much better than dubbing! Particularly good if you speak a bit of the language but you’re not fluent- the subtitles fill in anything you miss, and help you improve.

67. Langkard
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Nice work to make this list. Thanks!

68. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

I thought the only good thing about Outcasts was Liam Cunningham and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it. But that’s my opinion

69. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Winterdark: I thought the only good thing about Outcasts was Liam Cunningham and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it.

I didn’t like it either.

70. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

emma,

While I like Alien 3. I did not love it by any means. Why introduce Hicks, Bishop and Newt only to kill them off? The Perry idea sounds great!

71. Epic doodles
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: I’m loving Once Upon A Time. Anybody agrees? :D

I like this sh0w a lot, even though it’s soapy. Robert Carlyle is tremendous to watch (literally, every micro-second he is on screen). And I am a big fan of the comic book “Fables” that this show almost completely rips off. I like Homeland a lot as well.

72. Coltaine777
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

emma,

I absolutely love ‘Let The Right One In’ …Pans Labyrinth is wicked good too…as are the millenium trilogy films ..those Swedes can sure make some good movies !…I’m also hearing a lot of good things online about a Mexican movie called ‘Miss Bala’…
    Thankyou to all posters who recommended the english version[bbc] Wallander series, I’m loving it…especially Kenneth Branagh performance WOW…

73. Elena Amici
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I love how we’re talking about GOT/ASOIAF stuff and TV shows in the same post *__*

74. Epic doodles
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Was the 2011 movie Hanna swedish? I enjoyed it greatly. It was somehow both an action and an indie movie. It reminded me of Morvern Callar (great movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300214/ ) somehow.

75. andrea
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777: Kenneth Branagh performance WOW

It breaks your heart, so dramatic. I think I recommended it.

76. Lasair
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

He did? How on earth did I miss that?

77. Coltaine777
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Epic doodles,

I’m not sure if Hannah is Swedish film , but I really enjoyed that one too…thx for the tip on that other film, I’ll have to see if itunes has it !

78. Coltaine777
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

andrea: It breaks your heart, so dramatic. I think I recommended it.

Your not kidding..his character is so sad it almost has me in tears …I just finished the ep ‘Faceless Killers’…

79. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Yeah that series is great. I’ll probably get crucified over this but I love those films so much better than those looooong and slooooow films with Rolf Lassgärd. The Wallander series with Krister Henrikson is also amazing.

80. andrea
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Winterdark: looooong and slooooow films with Rolf Lassgärd.

I have no idea of that so, nothing to say. I watch Wallander UK on the computer and Swedish on TV. Too much?

81. Coltaine777
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Epic doodles:
    Coltaine777,

Was the 2011 movie Hanna swedish? I enjoyed it greatly. It was somehow both an action and an indie movie. It reminded me of Morvern Callar (great movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300214/ )somehow.

Well I just checked the Canadian itunes store for Morvern Callar…for some reason they have the movie soundtrack but not the film available …DAMN !…it looks pretty good ..I’ll guess I will have to send in a request to them to make it available…I just had to do the same thing for a song I’m looking to buy from UK artist Tom Vek called ‘One Horse Race’ lol…

82. andrea
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777: Faceless Killers

Cinematography in Wallander UK is perfect.
    I think Hanna is a co-production.

83. Winterdark
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

andrea,

No way, you can never have enough Wallander. Besides the series are completely different. Which of course is not so strange considering that the BBC films are adaptations of the novels and the Swedish ones are not allthough Mankell certainly had a hand in those. He is credited for story which normally I would take with a grain of salt but considering Yellowbird is his company I’m inclined to believe that’s true.

84. Coltaine777
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

andrea: oh, the chip in his shoulder (is that correct?). Is Wallander a racist? poor guy. His face when he meets her daughter´s boyfriend is priceless!
    Cinematography in Wallander UK is perfect.
    I think Hanna is a co-production.

ya poor guy was buckling under the guilt…I’m just totally blown away by his performance in this show… a damn shame there are so few eps…and yes the cinematography is outstanding…

85. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Epic doodles,

Heeeyyy! Something we agree on!

86. the goat
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

If you like noir, and GoT actors, I would once again recommend the 3-part BBC series ‘Red Riding’ from a couple years ago. Sean Bean in part 1 (1974), Joseph Mawle in part 2 (1980), and Mark Addy in part 3 (1983). Also outstanding performances from Andrew Garfield and Paddy Considine.

87. Clob
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

watching the Neverland miniseries on SyFy right now. Charles Dance quick scene just happened.

88. Clob
    Posted December 4, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I’ve been watching OUaT, but it’s actually a bit of a disappointment from what I was expecting. I mean, it’s ‘okay,’ but not something at this point that I would call that great or expect any awards for. The story for me has been unexciting, fantasy scenes are rather ordinary/bland for something that should separate this ordinary drama from any other and the acting has been nothing more than average across the board. It’s a watchable show against little else in the timeslot though so I’ve continued to tune in. This is just my opinion of course.

89. Johan Sporre
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:06 am | Permalink

I can also recommend the Red Riding series.

It’s fun to see you talking highly of Swedish movies (especially crime) when those same movies are generally detested by movie buffs here :) Let the Right One In exempt. I guess we tired of them 10+ years ago.

90. SaryaStone
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:25 am | Permalink

I think one of the reasons my English is so good is having watched a lot of tv shows with subtitles over the years. In addition to reading a lot of English texts (books, magazines etc) and studying grammar and so on, there is no substitute to hearing the language spoken by native speakers.

See, tv can be an educational tool! ;-)

91. SaryaStone
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 3:36 am | Permalink

Red Riding was sooo depressing. Acting was good but I can’t imagine life having been so grim and joyless “up North”. So if you prefer upbeat stories, watch something else.
    Strikeback is a bit of mindless fun and it has both Iain Glen and Liam Cunningham as guest stars in 2 eps each. LC’s terrorist character is chilling, totally cold. Very good acting, and scary, too.
    Of course as a show is does not have the quality of Red Riding. They definitely are meant for different types of audiences.

If something with GoT actors is being shown on tv and I have nothing better to do, I can endure some crappy movie just to see how if they are good in their roles. However, I would not choose a film just because one of them is in it if the said movie sucks in general.

92. Rimshot
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Don’t forget ‘Grabbers’ which comes out in March 2012 and stars Lalor ‘Catspaw’ Roddy. It also stars Russell Tovey, Richard Coyle, Ruth Bradley & Bronagh Gallagher. I’m in it too!

The film has just been selected for the Sundance Film Festival and is also notable for being the first film that I have a line in!

93. Ailish
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Aidan Gillen is also in Love/Hate, an Irish drama… Its fun to see Littlefinger act all tough as a drug dealing gangster!!

94. Elena Amici
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Epic doodles,

Heeeyyy! Something we agree on!

I can’t believe this! I’m happy for you guys! :D

95. Winterdark
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink

the goat,

I completely second that. Probably the best films I saw this year. I started watching for Sean Bean, Mark Addy and Warren Clarke but it’s so good.It’s deep, moving and thrilling at the same time and with an intelligent plot that keeps you guessing throughout. I still get chills thinking back. A true masterpiece. Must watch imo

PS: I watched the first two episodes of The Killing last night: awesome! Can’t wait for the next episode. Definitely gonna watch again tonight.

96. Epic doodles
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Elena Amici,

O.o

I can’t help it if people can’t stop ignoring me. I guess that means he’ll be calling me a troll pretty soon again.

‘Cause I’m the #1, laWlz

97. Epic doodles
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Winterdark: I watched the first two episodes of The Killing last night: awesome! Can’t wait for the next episode. Definitely gonna watch again tonight.

Not to be a downer, but that production is really good at starting strong and fizzling out. But at least the acting is good. It should have been a tv movie or a mini-series.

98. Winterdark
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Epic doodles,

Are you talking about the original or the remake?

99. Epic doodles
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

Sorry, I’m heavily medicated. I’m talking about the 2011 series on AMC, and you are obviously talking about the nordswedgian vershon. Since everyone loves it.

100. Winterdark
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Epic doodles,

I’m not 100% sure if that was sarcastic or not but I’m gonna go with not. In that case yes I’m talking about the Danish version. I don’t intend to watch the American version either. AMC is not known for dumbing things down but I doubt it’ll be as good as the original. Mainly since the series feels very un-American and I don’t think it would work in that setting. Still it’ll probably be better than American Prime Suspect, my goodness that brilliant series was cannibalised!

101. Elena Amici
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Winterdark: PS: I watched the first two episodes of The Killing last night: awesome!

I really didn’t like it. It started quite well, but it becomes pretty boring as the seasons goes on.

102. Thiago Slash
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Elena Amici,

it’s about perfect until the season finale. =/

anyway, great news, this FaB’s list!
    my 2012 won’t be so boring until April, then!

103. Winterdark
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Huh? I thought you were still looking for that series. Or are you too talking about the remake? In that case I repeat, I’m talking about the original, you know the Danish one

104. Epic doodles
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

I actually didn’t know there was another version of The Killing besides AMC :).

I was only slightly being sarcastic because the original is always better, even if it stinks. But it never stinks, because no one would remake a stinking product. And since they are always remaking an excellent product, they never quite live up to the original. And finally, people tend to love the original even more once a new version is done.

But the AMC does pretty well. Personally, I loved it. Since it’s set in Washington state, it is not typical US setting. It’s rainy and there are some urban youth issues specific to that city addressed on the show. 2. the relationship between the detective and her fiance is decidedly European in mood–it’s unusual for US shows to portray the love relationship from a detached, non-emotional point of view.. The base of the show has such a different feeling and mood that it’s easy to spot moments where the show tends to gravitate by small degrees toward the standard US fare.

I didn’t watch it to the end but I heard complaints about how they handled the resolution of season 1 finale. I wonder how different it is from the original version. I can’t say exactly what people had a problem. But it’s all over user opinion sites like metacritic.com, etc. Overall, except for the ending, the AMC version was well received.

Edit: It would be fun to compile a list of movies that were remade but were a lot better the second time. Like THE FLY (1958 vs 1986).

Edit Edit: Or the very crappy 1978 Inglorious Bastards vs QT’s 2009 Inglorious Basterds.. again, very loosely based….

105. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Epic doodles,

Epic doodles,

Epic doodles,

Epic doodles,

Your not a troll Epic …. Well I need more evidence to substantiate that at least.
    I am very serious and passionate about my entertainments You may notice that I tend to go a little far in defending things that I like. I need to take a deep breath and realize that I am not the one being attacked only my idea or topic of discussion is being critiqued.

That said you do come off as ‘mean’ sometimes. But seeing comments from people like Knurk I suppose others crave a less diplomatic approach to discussion. So maybe I blow things out of proportion…

Maybe.

106. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I don’t know why it printed Epic’s name four times. Stupid iPhone.

107. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Epic doodles: I didn’t watch it to the end but I heard complaints about how they handled the resolution of season 1 finale. I wonder how different it is from the original version.

1) the original is 20 episodes, the remake only 13
    2) the storylines are somewhat parallel but differ on significant points
    3) in the original version, the exact circumstances of the murder remain quite unclear or at least there is room for discussion, which is great!

What I liked most about the original first series of the danish version (and miss a bit in the 2nd series airing on BBC at the moment) were the interesting, complex characters played sublimely by Lars Mikkelsen and Bjarne Henrikson. I should watch the american version to compare by myself, but I’m sceptical that these characters would be portrayed equally well. Anyone seen both versions?

108. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

It’s epic though!

109. Elena Amici
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Winterdark:
    Elena Amici,

aaah, okay. I thought you were talking about the AMC show :D

110. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

I guess the new ‘Epic’ app I just DL’ed for my iphone ‘aka the child I never had’ works just fine.

111. Bro
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Anything with Kit Harington I will gladly pay to see. But seriously, I love anything to do with King Arthur and those Ages so I’ll be interested to see what that film turns out like.

112. Thiago Slash
    Posted December 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: I’ve only watched the original Danish version but discussed at length with a good friend that had only seen the AMC version, and from that I gathered that the differences are:
    1) the original is 20 episodes, the remake only 13
    2) the storylines are somewhat parallel but differ on significant points

well, on the AMC’s remake, the circumstances of the death still remain unclear, as the ultimate evidence that could prove who murdered the girl is faked.

and I think they changed the character’s names (to more “american-sounding” ones), so I don’t know who are these characters you named. are you talking about the parents of the murdered girl (which, btw, is named Rosie Larsen on the remake)?

113. Lord Willum
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned, but spotted Donald Sumpter in a grave, Maester Luwin-esque role on UK tv the other night, in the first episode of Black Mirror

The subject matter is…. interesting, sort of near future sci-fi/black humour/media satire, not sure whether to recommend or not as won’t be to everyone’s tastes!

114. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Thiago Slash,

Sorry, saw your reply only now…

As for the ending: in the original version the murder case is closed at the end and everything is made clear in principle, but still there’s room for interpretation and discussion, so it’s very different from AMC’s season 1.

The characters I talked about were that of the politician (played by Lars Mikkelsen; the equivalent of ‘Darren’) and of the murdered girl’s father (played by the magnificent Bjarne Henrikson).

I found a quite interesting (and as spoiler-free as possible) comparison HERE, in case anybody’s interested. One major difference apparently is that AMC’s main investigator (Linden) doesn’t have the same slow-burning intensity as the one in the Danish version (Lund), and that must completely change the experience of watching the show.

Edit: the only other detective in any tv series I have ever seen with a somewhat similar intensity was Trevor Eve in BBC’s ‘Waking the Dead’.

115. Winterdark
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

Thanks for that. Didn’read the whole thing cause I allready read way to many spoilers Silly me reading that while I’m only at ep4. Not that it reallymatters. Most of what I read I allready saw coming. anyway I wasn’t going to watch the remake and now I’m sure I’m not going to. And yeah Trevor Eve is amazing. Boyd’s been my favorite tv-detective for years. WtD was awesome. Sad it ended but it had a very good run. Just wished they’d come up with a better final episode. But at least it had an ending which is more than you can say of some other BBC series.*cough Lynley cough*

116. Thiago Slash
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

oh, you were naming the actors, not the characters haha silly me.

well, on the remake, I found remarkable the acting of both parents, played by Michelle Forbes and Brent Sexon. not that Billy Campbell (Darren Richmon, the politician) was bad, not at all! he was just outshined.

an well, not you got me into the original hahah I’ll try to download it somewhere.

117. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Thiago Slash,

Michelle Forbes is always good. Ensign Ro has come a long way!

Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Can I bash AMC for a minute?

I noticed we’re talking about The Killing? I watched the pilot of the AMC version, and was seriously underwhelmed (especially considering all the hype I’d heard). Just bland and uninteresting. Never bothered watching any further. I don’t like Mad Men either, quit watching after Season 2 (nothing EVER happens!). And I think The Walking Dead is incredibly boring, uninspired, badly acted, and is just like every other post-apocalyptic zombie flick I’ve ever seen (I’m not a fan of the zombie genre, it’s a one-trick pony).

However, the one AMC show I DO like is Breaking Bad… which is one of the best shows on TV right now, possibly of all time. So I guess that evens it out somewhat. But overall, AMC has nothing on HBO.

119. Ivonne L.
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I cannot hate dubbing more than I do! I live in Mexico and most of the time we get both options, but it annoys the hell out of me to hear other voices than the original ones. Even if it’s Russian, I’ll take the subtitles.