More Game of Thrones Season One DVD/Blu-Ray details emerge
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season

More details about the Game of Thrones season one DVD/Blu-Ray continue to emerge. Yesterday, @GameOfThrones tweeted the above image of the artwork of the full set. Also from yesterday, IGN posted a preview clip of the Blu-Ray’s In-Episode Guide.

Then today, discovered by our own Hear Me Roar, Amazon UK gives a detailed list of the Blu-Ray’s special features and their approx. run times. Most importantly, it includes listings for the previously-rumored-and-now-confirmed cast auditions plus a rundown of the episode commentaries!

Special Features (Bolded features are Blu-Ray exclusives)
A. Episodic Previews & Recaps (22:45)
B. Making of Game of Thrones (25:00)
C. Character Profiles (15 clips) (30:18)
D. Creating the Dothraki Language (5:26)
E. Inside the Night’s Watch (8:05)
F. From the Book to the Screen (5:15)
G. Histories (30:00 approx)
H. Creating the Show Open (5:05)
I. Cast Audition Tapes (25:00 approx) – now listed as Golden Eggs
J. Anatomy of Episode 6 “A Golden Crown” (60 min)
K. Guide to Westeros (Menu-Based In-Episode Interactive Feature)
L. Guide to Westeros (Menu-Based)
M. Ep 1 ‘Winter is Coming’ w/ Commentary by Exec Producers/Writers David Benioff & D.B Weiss
N. Ep 2 ‘The Kingsroad’ w/ Commentary by Lena Headey, Mark Addy & nikolaj Coster-Waldau
O. Ep 3 ‘Lord Snow’ w/ Commentary by Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams & Isaac Hempstead-Wright
P. Ep 4 ‘Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things’ w/ Commentary by Bryan Cogman (Writer) and Kit Harington
Q. Ep 6 ‘A Golden Crown’ w/ Commentary by Pete Dinklage, Emilia Clarke, Harry Lloyd and Daniel Minahan (Director)
R. Ep 8 ‘The Pointy End’ w/ Commentary by George R.R Martin (Co-Exec Producer & Author of Game of Thrones
S. Ep 10 ‘Fire and Blood’ w/ Commentary by David Benioff & D.B Weiss (Exec Producers/Writers) & Alan Taylor (Director)

Also, it appears that Amazon UK is offering their own exclusive pre-order bonus video, “Creating the Visuals”, which is an 18 minute feature that promises to give viewers “a firsthand look at the visual effects used to bring Game of Thrones to HBO, from towering castles and sweeping landscapes, to complex stunts and fight sequences.” This appears to come with the Blu-Ray only. As previously reported, the HBO Shop is also offering an exclusive bonus video, “Creating the World of Westeros”, if you pre-order either the DVD or Blu-Ray with them.

Not to be outdone, Barnes and Noble is offering the DVD and Blu-Ray for pre-order, at not only the cheapest price currently available, but also with a chance to win a signed copy of George R. R. Martin’s episode eight script!

Winter Is Coming: So many pre-order bonuses to choose from… we need a super deluxe edition that combines them all into one package. And I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to that episode three commentary with Sophie, Maisie and Isaac the most!

1. Joohnson
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I love commentaries, so all those commentaries really excite me! Incredible set, this. Well done, HBO.

2. Elena Amici
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Yay! Audition tapes!

EDIT: So, no gag reel then? I was still hoping

3. dizzy_34
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Sweet, saving my pennies as we speak (type).

4. John
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34:
    Sweet, saving my pennies as we speak (type).

That means you aren’t going to buy it ?

5. The Instrumentalist
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Are all those extras exclusive to the blue ray? I really don’t want to buy a blue ray, but if cool Thrones stuff is at stake…

6. Elena Amici
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

The Instrumentalist:

there was a post about it. The BR has the auditions and a couple more features :)

Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

The Instrumentalist:

Sorry, should have made it more clear. I edited the post and highlighted the Blu-Ray exclusive features. All the rest can be found on the DVD as well.

8. CLyons
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Any word on Canadian pre-orders?

9. Bob
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

How many of these bonus videos are the ones already available on HBO Go?

10. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

D. Creating the Dothraki Language (5:26)

Meh…It seems this is probably just the same video that has already been shown at cable exclusives.

11. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I’m not a DVD collector and will buy a boxed set just to support the show, regardless of what extra features are included, but even I am getting excited about all these extras! Especially the castings!!

12. vuron00
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Crap. I was really hoping for the original pilot episode to be included in the extras.

13. grandmaFunk
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I think it’s a pretty big shame that BR gets extra content, I don’t see any actually valid reason to not include them in the DVD release. :(

They could at least package a “collector’s edition” type DVD set with them.

14. emma
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

cast audition tapes!!!!! Rory Mccann doing the scene that won him the role…. telling Sansa how he got his scars. Please please please please :DD

15. vuron00
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

grandmaFunk,

If you look at the BR exclusive content, it’s almost another 2 hours worth of material. The reason might be something as simple as it not all fitting on one disc, which makes BR sensible.

Also, I would never buy anything like this on DVD as they are soon to go the way of VHS.

16. emma
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

PS3 plays BR right? otherwise I know what I’ll be demanding for crimbo from the parental units…. :/

17. spacechampion
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici:
    Yay! Audition tapes!

EDIT: So, no gag reel then? I was still hoping

18. kevin
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I usually don’t buy TV shows, but I think I’ll be picking up the Bluray. How can’t I support this great series especially when there’s so many extra features along with it.

19. Lisa
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: I can’t remember any gag reel for any show that was ever funny.Flubbed lines? boring.

Well, the Firefly (and the Serenity) gag reel for example was pretty funny, imo. I was also hoping for something along the line of a gag reel but well, I’ll settle with what we get. ;)

20. Elena Amici
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: I can’t remember any gag reel for any show that was ever funny. Flubbed lines? boring.

go and watch Supernatural’s gag reel then.

21. spacechampion
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

grandmaFunk:

They could at least package a “collector’s edition” type DVD set with them.

Nope, they really couldn’t. DVD can’t play the on-screen extras (written in Java code) when viewing the episodes, so an extra disk with that type of stuff on it is useless. It’s stuff that play over top the regular episodes while you watch.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Clearly you haven’t watched the bloopers for Curb Your Enthusiasm (available on youtube). Almost funnier than the show itself!

Anyways, I’m definitely looking forward to the audition tapes! Kinda disappointed to be missing out on some other extras though (I’m curious about the “Histories”), as I’ll be buying the DVD set.

23. Ali
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Please tell me that’s a map of Westeros I see ?

24. Alan
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

How do you leave off commentary for Episode 9?!?! Or Episode 7! But really, if I wanted to hear the director on one episode, it’d be 9.

25. Excited Ethel
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Damn, so many features.. so good.. HBO are really putting a lot of thought and effort into this.

26. surfKraken
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I’m so getting this, have to support such a quality show. Hope GRRM talks about writing episode 8 in his interview portion.

27. spacechampion
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Lex: Clearly you haven’t watched the bloopers for Curb Your Enthusiasm (available on youtube).Almost funnier than the show itself!

Found it on youtube, nope not funny. It’s like being forced to watch someone’s vacation photos. It can be mildly interesting, but hardly entertaining. Found the Serenity / Firefly bloopers too; same problem. Supernatural is not a show I’ve yet watched, so those were even less interesting.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: Found it on youtube, nope not funny.

29. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

CLyons: Any word on Canadian pre-orders?

This.

30. Eugene Toussaint
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

are we getting any deleted scenes?

31. spacechampion
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Lex: Sorry, but… you must have no sense of humour, then. Or maybe you just don’t like Larry David. I could watch those bloopers all day.

Wrong, I love Larry David’s humour, and I have a very well cultivated sense of humour. I’m laughing several times a day at something.

Flubbed lines? Mugging for the camera? What exactly about that is funny to you?

Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: Wrong, I love Larry David’s humour, and I have a very well cultivated sense of humour.I’m laughing several times a day at something.

Flubbed lines?Mugging for the camera? What exactly about that is funny to you?

I agree with you that many blooper reels are lame… but for me, it’s different with Curb.

33. Sean Fan
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

CLyons: Any word on Canadian pre-orders?

Simple as looking it up on Amazon Canada!……

34. spacechampion
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Lex: Watching Larry David laugh uncontrollably, completely unable to keep a straight face or even say his lines, is hilarious to me. His laughter is contagious, and makes it look like the most fun job in the world.

That’s fine for you. Saying I have no sense of humour is rather foolish just because I laugh at different things, but don’t find that in the least amusing. It’s surprising the first time, but how anyone is surprised by 5 to 10 minutes of it is strange to me.

35. Knurk
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: That’s fine for you.Saying I have no sense of humour is rather foolish just because I laugh at different things, but don’t find that in the least amusing.It’s surprising the first time, but how anyone is surprised by 5 to 10 minutes of it is strange to me.

Well, I still think you may be missing a sense of humour. Yes, I’m judging. Sorry.

37. Eric Akawie
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Joohnson,

A little disappointing though, that there’s no commentary for “Baelor.”

38. Chai_latte
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Serious question. Why on earth would they leave out an ep. 9 commentary? Is it one of those situations where “it’s so precious, we’ll just leave it as it is”? Sean Bean would have been great for it.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Yeah, no commentary for Episode 9 is kind of odd. Maybe they want to let the episode speak for itself?

40. Chai_latte
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Edited my comment, but yeah, that’s kinda what I think is going on.

41. G_Lee
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Has no one posted the Link shared on Facebook earlier yet?
    It’s gotta be somewhere, but just in case.
    Those features are really cool!

42. grandmaFunk
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

If you look at the BR exclusive content, it’s almost another 2 hours worth of material.The reason might be something as simple as it not all fitting on one disc, which makes BR sensible.

pfft, DVDs will outlive BluRay.

as for not fitting on one disk..where’s the difficulty in simply adding an extra disk to the set?

43. loco73
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Wow those are a lot of extras. I love it the they did not skimp on the extras on the DVD set. I understand some of the exclusive Blue-ray features since those who will buy the hi-def discs will shell out more dough, so they should get something extra for that.

I for one, as I said before, will stick with the DVD-set which has plenty of extra features for my taste. I have yet to be dissapointed by a HBO DVD…I love my “ROME” DVD set, it is spectacular, well done and as good as any big-feature movie DVD releases I have seen. The fact that they’ve taken their time and have put this much work in releasing “Game Of Thrones” the right way speaks to their high standards.

The only bummer factor is the wait-time…damn it I wish it came out now in December, but whatever, I’ll wait!

PS I love the Peter Dinklage GQ shoot…a lucky man indeed, but he is Tyrion Lannister after all! Can’t fault him or being surrounded by beautiful women…a Lannister always hays his debts!

44. Ser Skwisgaard
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

grandmaFunk,

grandmaFunk: pfft,DVDs will outlive BluRay.

Adding 15% more cost to the product? You would have to program a new disc, re-encode all the material, fabricate a bunch more discs, and change all the packaging around. Oh, and by the way, you totally disincentivize people to purchase the preferred product, the Blu-ray.

Also… I’m totally excited for Commentary-Gate. Let’s bring it, people.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

loco73,

I don’t usually buy TV shows on DVD… because it feels like a slippery slope. Movies are one thing, but I don’t need shelves full of season after season, of shows I’ll probably never re-watch. I love Sopranos, The Wire, but I doubt I’d ever re-watch them (too many seasons!), so it’s not worth the money (or shelf space) for me.

But I HAVE been considering buying the Rome DVD set because it’s only 2 seasons, and very re-watchable! Glad to hear it’s a good set.

46. John
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

grandmaFunk: pfft,DVDs will outlive BluRay.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

John: That’s what the VHS loyalists used to say too . Well enjoy the couple of years left humping your DVDs .

48. loco73
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Ser Skwisgaard,

I hardly think that that commentary will stop people buying the Blue-ray set in anyway. People will make their decisions based on preference, pricing etc. I for one can’t afford the Blu-ray set, and am not willing to invest in Blue-ray discs or a Blue-ray player.

I’m satisfied with my DVD collection and have no intention in switchingto Blue-rayt. But that is just me. As long as the choice in formats exists, I’m content. From my point of view, people can do whatever they want and choose according to their tastes!

49. loco73
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I, unfortunately, am a sucker for TV shows, BUT (and that is a big but…LOL), I try and stick to shows I know I’ll watch again and again, and shows, that for my taste at least, are extraordinary and have set a high standard in quality. I don’t run out and buy every show there is. “ROME” is an exception, besides now there is one DVD set containing the complete series, so you don’t have to buy two separate sets.

I bought the separate sets because at the time “ROME” was only available in two separate sets (Season One and Two), and I did not have the patience to wait for one all-encompassing release, which took quite a few years to ocur.

For me, shows like “The Wire”, “ROME”, “Spawn” (HBO Anime at its best) Showtime’s “Brotherhood”, “The Shield” and mini-series like
    “Elizabeth I”,”Generation Kill”, “John Adams”, “The Pacific”, “Band Of Brothers” and a few others were more than worth the price paid…

I’m in the midst of watching “The Shield” again…and boy am I happy I have the complete series…amazing show!

50. Joe Blanche
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Will we see Tamzin?

Posted December 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Joe Blanche, not unless you pop in your Tudors Season 4 DVD. ;)

52. Ed
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Where is it written that you have to stop watching your old DVDs if you get a BluRay player???

I’m sure even you know that you can watch “regular” DVDs on a BluRay player. Nobody’s saying you have to Re-Get your DVD collection. (GGrrrrrr) Keep it and just get NEW stuff in BluRay.

I don’t understand why people feel victimized by new technology.

Lex: I’d rather keep humping my DVDs, then let the industry hump ME by making me keep upgrading, making my previous expensive collection obsolete (even though it was “cutting edge” just a few years ago). I’m still firmly anti-Bluray.

53. Ed
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I sure hope not. I’d be happy if she kept her scrawny cross-eyed, giant foreheaded butt away from our great series. :)

Joe Blanche:
    Will we see Tamzin?

Posted December 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Ed,

So on the one hand, you’re saying our old DVDs are still good… but on the other hand, you’re saying we should start buying Blu-rays henceforth. Which, even if I don’t re-buy any of my old movies, means buying a Blu-ray player, and paying more for Blu-ray titles (as opposed to DVD).

That doesn’t make sense to me. You’re basically saying that DVD is both dead, and still fine. If my old DVDs are still fine, why do I need to start buying Blu-ray fromt this point forward? I’m fine with continuing to buy new releases on DVD (which, as an added bonus, are cheaper than they used to be).

55. Nick
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

As has been stated in this thread already, the BD exclusive extras play whilst you are watching an episode. This is something that can not be achieved on DVD. So no amount of extra discs is going to fix that. As is demonstrated in this video, the idea of these extras is that you bring up the menu whilst you’re watching an episode to get more info on the characters etc:

Although the difference between DVD and BD is not as vast as VHS and DVD, it’s also not just 1080p video and lossless audio. I have nothing against someone who is not interested in the improvements BD has over DVD, but it really annoys me when people act like because they don’t see the worth in it, people who do must be getting ripped off, and that BD is just some tech gimmick that studios are using to drain more and more money out of consumers. It reeks of a superiority complex.

Some of us get a much more enjoyable experience out of HD video and sound, and believe that Blu-ray is worth a lot more per $ than DVD ever was. Especially now that they are priced almost the same.

And for anyone still stuck spouting the nonsense about Blu-ray either not being successful or a gimmick that will eventually die out, please have a read of these news articles detailing how well BD is doing:

56. Ed
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Lex:

Yes, that’s correct.

If you’re worried about the extra $$$ for buying BluRay instead of regular, that’s just a fact of life we all have to deal with when it comes to superior technology.

If it’s too troublesome, you may want to consider just reading books from a library for entertainment.

Lex:

I didn’t say that anywhere. I simply was clarifying that IF you bought a new BluRay player, you could watch your old DVDs on it. No need to get rid of them or Re-Purchase your collection on BluRay.

Lex:

If my old DVDs are still fine, why do I need to start buying Blu-ray from this point forward?

You don’t. It’s strictly a preference. As to why? Well, cause it’s better, plain and simple.

Why not just continue to watch your old VHS? Or get a microwave? Or a surround sound? Or a flatscreen high-def TV? Cause it’s better.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Ed,

Here’s the thing, I actually DO care about audio and video quality (a lot more than some friends of mine)… but some things matter more to me than others. I have a nice flat-screen TV (42″). But I’ve never cared about surround sound (I’m totally fine with stereo sound through my two nice speakers). I’m a musician as well, and can definitely appreciate good audio quality, but surround just isn’t necessary for me.

And when it comes to DVDs, I still find them to be really, really good. I’m sure Blu-ray is somewhat better, but for me, the difference just isn’t big enough to be worth upgrading. Maybe one day, but I’m in no rush.

People are too quick to get into extremes. Either A) Blu-ray is AMAZING, everyone should get it, or B) Blu-ray makes no difference, it’s a rip off. Obviously, these are both wrong. The truth is that Blu-ray IS somewhat better, but whether it’s a big enough difference, is a matter of personal opinion.

58. Nick
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Lex,

If you’ve ever heard the difference between a 192kbps mp3 file and perhaps a lossless SACD or a 4000kbps flac file, you’ll be able to appreciate the upgrade in sound quality blu-ray offers. Surround sound was achievable with DVD, but lossless is something new to the home video market.

In regards to DVD being good enough, I completely agree. I have almost 1000 DVDs and about 300 Blu-rays (about 60 or so are re-buys of films I own on DVD) and have never once felt my DVD collection was obsolete. Plenty of films I couldn’t care less about having further improved image quality. They’re good enough. But stuff like LOTR, Apocalypse Now, Alien, Blade Runner, The Dark Knight, Inception, and hopefully, Game of Thrones, the upgrade is well worth the cash.

59. Elena Amici
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Ed:

God, please let’s no start the whole DVD vS. BR debate over again.
    You know, some people can’t afford a BR player. Let’s no argue about this, please!

60. Grant Gould
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I’m excited to see the cast auditions! Also excited to listen to the episode commentaries. :) Looking forward to owning this bad boy!

Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Nick,

I admit, I don’t like listening to any music below 320 kpbs (although lossless/FLAC seems a bit unnecessary to me) and I didn’t know that Blu-ray had lossless audio. It is something to think about, at least.

Anyway, maybe we need to form a BwBr? (Brotherhood Without Blu-ray). :)

62. dizzy_34
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

John,

I don’t think my obsession would allow that.

63. Ed
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    Ed,

I only have issues with whiners playing the victim card. That said, I’m not losing any sleep over it, and already feel guilty for /posting about it so much already.

I’m respectfully bowing out at this point, but not before toasting my favorite books/shows and looking forward to watching again in March.

64. darquemode
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

I highly suggest buying this for yourself at say HBO to get the pre-order bonus disk and then buying a copy for your favorite relative at say Amazon to get the bonus disc there…

I know I am alread locked in and pre-ordered!

65. clemintine
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

vuron00: pilot

Me too :( I thought it’d be fascinating to see it with different actors.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Ed: Very well said Lex, I totally get that (buys Lex a drink, slides it down the bar to him).

Cheers! :)

67. darquemode
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Bob,

Judging from the runtimes Features B, D, E and H are very likely to be the same videos already online and Feature C may well be all the previously released character features combined too.
    Inside the Night’s Watch and Creating the Dothraki Language were exclusive to Comcast onDemand I think….. but they are also available online.

68. Johan Sporre
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Are these listed features without the hidden dragon eggs?

I was looking forward to some of the stuff that Qthulhu told of in his interview with WiC. Not necessarily missed lines, but other funny stuff that happened behind the scenes.

69. Chris77
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I still buy DvD , but some movies I buy on BluRay. It’s like some movies you have to see on the big screen to fully apreciate them. My Blu Ray highlights are the LOTR and Star Wars box sets, Avatar, Dark Knight, Sin City and Planet Earth.

70. Dave
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

No commentary from Sean Bean? Oh well, he can do next sea… oh wait.

I’m looking forward to getting GoT on blu-ray. But am I the only one who thinks that these exclusive videos depending on where you get the dvd/bluray blows? Unless you buy multiple dvd/blu-ray of GoT season 1, people are going to miss out on them.

71. Yuiq
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

No commentary for Baelor? I would’ve thought that would be the first one they’ll do what with the Emmy nomination and all.
    Also there has to be a blooper reel hidden in there somewhere.

72. darquemode
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Dave,

I hate it too!

I went through this for the last few years buying the Twilight movies as Xmas gifts for my nieces. Exclusive bonus dscs or special covers at various stores. It is a great marketing ploy *cough*cough* MONEY GRAB *cough*cough* but incredibly annoying!

73. Epic-itty
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Hey I’m anti Sony also! They own BR you know. In two years hd video will be streamed. Br is just a flash in the pan.

74. Nick
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Epic-itty,

Not likely. Streaming Return of the King Extended Edition in the same quality as you get on Blu-ray disc would require about 75GB of data. That’s nearly 24 hours worth of buffering if you’re on a basic broadband connection. And that’s before you get into all the digital video problems that are inherent to streaming.

Numbers show that when it comes to buying films (not renting) people on the whole pick up a disc, not a download.

75. darquemode
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Nick,

Also collector’s will always want a physical copy to look at and physically hold. I know I do. Plus it’s easier to loan out to friends transport if you’re going to a cabin or a friend’s house and actual discs in cases look pretty on a book shelf!

76. B Cogman
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

One thing you’ll learn from my commentary track:

I say “absolutely” an absurd number of times.

77. darquemode
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

B Cogman,

I sense a new addendum to the Game of Thrones drinking games everywhere…

Everytime Bryan Cogman says “Absolutely” during his commentary = drink a shot.

78. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

I find that an absolutely marvelous idea!

79. Bro
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

So no deleted or extended scenes then? I was hoping we’d see Bran & Tommen sword fighting (& by extension, Robb & Joff). That was one of my fav scenes that I was disappointed it didn’t make the series.

80. rorschach-
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I myself don’t understand whats the big fuss about BD. At least in Finland you can get a basic-nothing-fancy bluray-player with a price of couple copper pennies. You can still buy and play the good ‘ol DVDs but in case something you really want, like example now, comes out you have the chance to get it in BD and enjoy the better video/audio and extras of your favourite show. I just don’t get it but I guess people are different and not buying is a statement. And boy how I hate statements :D

81. JackSparrow
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

I was reading this thread and also wanted to reply to this, even though I refreshed and saw others already had. Not only does Blu-ray not make your DVD collection obsolete, Blu-ray upscales your DVD playback so that it looks its best. I wasn’t an early adopter for Blu-ray, because I didn’t want to spend the money (you also needed an HD-TV to make it worthwhile, and a nice sound system helps, too), but I slowed down my DVD purchase rate partially because I knew I’d want to get newer movies on Blu-ray. I eventually bought a portable Blu-ray player a year ago because I wanted to get something that I thought had enough functionality to make it a worthwhile purchase ($250, but they can be had for cheaper). I could take it on trips (or, really, anywhere), it had its own screen so it didn’t matter if I had an HD-TV (though I had already gotten an HD monitor/TV for my computer a couple of years ago), and I can still hook it up to a TV and use at home. I had wanted to get a computer that played Blu-rays when I was shopping for a new one two years ago, but most of the ones I was looking at didn’t have that technology yet. I had gone ahead and purchased all of ‘The Wire’ because I could not wait on those, but they weren’t filmed in HD, anyway, and watching them on my Blu-ray player they look great (really crisp picture; I don’t want to watch them on a DVD player on a standard def TV anymore). Anyway, my main point is just that Blu-ray has great backwards compatibility with DVD and makes them a better product. Also, since most older movies weren’t filmed in Hi-def, getting them on Blu-ray isn’t as necessary (though I’m sure they look about as good as they can on Blu-ray format). Some newer movies like ‘The Dark Knight’ that I’ve held off on purchasing are must-haves for Blu-ray. But, try watching some of your DVDs (probably the newer ones, especially) on a Blu-ray player with an HD TV and see how they look.

82. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

rorschach-: I just don’t get it but I guess people are different and not buying is a statement. And boy how I hate statements :D

I understand it when you say you ‘hate statements’, me too. But for some people having a perfectly functional DVD player is enough – why would I get rid of my DVD player before it brakes down when I’m still very happy with the quality? Call that a statement if you like :-)

83. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: God, please let’s no start the whole DVD vS. BR debate over again.

Ok, after that new long reply above on why we should all go out and buy a BD player as soon as possible, I’m gonna wholehartedly agree with Elena… Please HBO, give us some new news about season 2 so we can get back to more interesting discussions!!!

[edit: in fact, to all the people living West from me, discuss the same thing over and over again all you like - it just dawned on me that it's past 2am already and I should go to sleep so I'll easily neglect all your technical blabla!]

84. Epic the wonderful
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Nick:
    Epic-itty,

Whatever you are experiencing now is probably not what is going to kill BR in a couple of years. (Though if you are streaming i1080 from netflix/amazon/blockbuster/google to a 46″+ screen, then wow.) But HD On Demand will definitely kill disc media. Some collectors can keep buying a ‘copy’ with glossy covers, I guess; I get that because I got sucked into the fad of buying vinyl. The ent industry needs to get HD On Demand rolling to compete against piracy. And then it’s a matter of convenience. Like how Netflix and the ugly redbox killed all the AWESOME movie rental stores. Overnight. Goodbye. Your kids and their kids will never work in a movie rental store again.

85. Knurk
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

JackSparrow: Also, since most older movies weren’t filmed in Hi-def, getting them on Blu-ray isn’t as necessary (though I’m sure they look about as good as they can on Blu-ray format).

This is just so wrong. Blu-ray is the perfect format for old movies. With this new technology old movies can finally get a good transfer from the original film (which has a larger resolution than bluray). Therefore a lot of classic movies look way more improved on blu-ray than their dvd counterpart than modern films do. The Sound of Music blu-ray is probably one of the finest examples and a showcase of how good BR can be.

86. Epic the wonderful
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

JackSparrow,

Actually “film” is ever better resolution than i1080. It’s the original. It’s called celluloid. Maybe when HD On Demand kills all this Sony upstart, people will revert to buying reels for movies like they are doing with vinyl ;)

87. B Cogman
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

You’ll be drunk before Tyrion says the episode’s title.

88. Nick
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Epic the wonderful,

Yeah, Netflix and the like killed the brick and mortar rental industry, but people STILL prefer to have a DISC sent from Netflix than to stream from them. And that’s just in regards to rentals. I’ve seen no evidence to suggest people would actually prefer to pay to download a film than to own a disc. If people are going to hand over cash for something, they want a physical item in return. It’s just human nature. Look at Steam; it’s basically a game distribution service (about 80% of all digitally downloaded games are through Steam). There is nothing in the movie/tv industry comparable to the reach Steam has when it comes to buying a digital product, and yet even Steam game sales are completely eclipsed by disc sales

89. JackSparrow
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

loco73:
    Lex,

For me, shows like “The Wire”, “ROME”, “Spawn”(HBO Anime at its best) Showtime’s “Brotherhood”,“The Shield” and mini-series like

I’m glad to see ‘Generation Kill’ get a shout-out. That mini-series is so unsung. I’m reading the book right now, and read Nate Fick’s book ‘One Bullet Away’ a couple of months ago. Good stuff.

90. dizzy_34
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

loco73: Lex, “Spawn” (HBO Anime at its best)

Man, totally forgot about Spawn, I should pick that one up. HBO needs to do another anime project.

Posted December 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

B Cogman, haha! What was it like recording the commentary? It had to be a bit surreal…

92. Nick
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Quick addendum to the dvd v blu-ray v digital media debate, Ridley Scott says it best:

93. B Cogman
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

It was, in that my baby had been born, like, 48 hours prior so I was more than a bit loopy. Really fun, though. Kit was in London so his voice was in my ear…

94. JackSparrow
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

B Cogman:
    Winter Is Coming,

It was, in that my baby had been born, like, 48 hours prior so I was more than a bit loopy.Really fun, though.Kit was in London so his voice was in my ear…

You guys recorded the commentary together from different locations? That’s pretty cool. And you guys recorded it simultaneously, right? It’s not one of those edited together things? You can always tell the people aren’t actually interacting with those, so they’re less fun, IMO.

95. Epic knows nothing
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Nick,

Hollywood wants the Sony discs to sell. They really, REALLY depend on it. Or else they may have to stop producing so much recycled garbage. I’d love to see a real film maker (one with an ounce of pride) give a shit about Blu Ray.

I don’t know about you, but I have watched more video on my laptop (on which HD is completely wasted since it’s a small screen) than ever this year, because of the many legitimate streaming vendors. And that sort of thing will improve dynamically while BR stays the same.

96. the goat
    Posted December 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

B Cogman,

Any hints on whether the Brandon Stark/King Aerys scene somehow found its way into one of those dragon’s eggs?

Valar morghulis

97. Epic the wonderful
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 12:07 am | Permalink

B Cogman: my baby had been born, like, 48 hours prior so I was more than a bit loopy

wow.. . Congratulations! I guess that makes the baby…. 2 months old now? sounds like you are still catching up on that sleep… Did you name the child Aria by any chance? Popular name, this year.

98. Nick
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

What’s your idea of a REAL film maker then? Scorsese perhaps? Here he is offering much of the same sentiment:

I don’t have any other links but I’ve heard the same line from many other respected film makers. The key thing for them (and myself) is that the films, for the first time on any home video format, are almost guaranteed to be shown how the film makers intended them to be. Hours and hours of peoples time goes into things like shot composition and lighting and sound mixing etc, and it all comes beautifully together in the cinema.
    But once you make the jump to home video, quality in both image and sound are compromised. Because Blu-ray is advertised solely as a “high quality” format, it forces studios to put a high quality product on it. With DVD, that onus was never there. It led to things like poor restoration work and altered aspect ratios, especially on old films. The chances of that sort of shoddy product making it on to Blu-ray is incredibly slim. Film makers love Blu-ray because the transfer of their artwork from the cinema to the home allows a level of authenticity like never before.

In regards to downloading/streaming again, I have NEVER watched a film on a laptop before. Nor would I. What exactly is the point? If you’re aim in watching films is to experience a narrative, then fair enough, watch it on an iphone with earphones. But for myself, film is about image and sound. It’s a lot closer to paintings or sculptures than it is to a novel. You look at film, and I like looking at it on a huge screen with a very high level of detail. I am not kidding when I say that a lot of film makers, especially Scorsese, would be upset at the idea of the majority of audiences seeing their work on a laptop screen and hearing it through headphones. I’m not saying that should bother you, but to suggest that film makers couldn’t give a shit about the hi-def format just because you think that Blu-ray is the latest tech gimmick is complete bunk.

99. goober
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 3:00 am | Permalink

oh yes

100. darquemode
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 3:44 am | Permalink

I wonder if they will include any of the recast actors in the cast auditions. I would love to see Ian McNeice as Illyrio and it might be fun to see Jennifer Ehle as Cat or Tamzin Merchant as Dany too. I forget who else was recast for reshhots of the pilot…

As for the Easter Eggs I am still holding out for a featurette called something like “A Day On the Set with Peter Dinklage.” XD

I would love to see and watch his exploits during filming!

101. The Lightning Lord
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Lex,

If you have a 42” flat screen, you are missing out on a whole lot if you don’t get the Blu-Rays. Simply put, it’s the best version. If you are a fan of the show, which I presume you are, wouldn’t you want to own it in the best quality and version available? It’s common sense, really, why would you bring stupid things like “anti-Blu” and things like that, did the giant Blu-Ray monster eat your house or something? I don’t understand this grudge. :S

102. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:15 am | Permalink

The Lightning Lord: If you are a fan of the show, which I presume you are, wouldn’t you want to own it in the best quality and version available?

That’s the second time I see you questioning someone being a real fan of the show based on this argument.

Materialism is strong with this one…

103. The Lightning Lord
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

lol, I am not sure if you have a BD-ROM on your laptop or if you have a netbook, but a 1080p video or even 720p really is a massive, massive upgrade for any laptop, if you have something bigger than 13”. (And for 17”, 1080p is the way to go; most 17” laptops these days are 1080p compatible, and even some 15” ones, actually) Of course it depends on graphics cards and things, and the quality of your display (if you have an nVidia graphics card, use madVR to get the best possible clarity), but I don’t know anyone who’s seen a true HD video on a laptop and hasn’t noticed the difference between DVD/SD, etc. Don’t stick with an inferior version.

104. The Lightning Lord
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

I’m not “questioning” anyone here. I’m just saying, if you were a fan of [any] show, wouldn’t you want the best possible quality available, and the best version? Of course I understand if other things are more important, like money and availability, but it’s really just common sense to me…

Now, before you go tut-tut again, I’m not saying that if someone doesn’t buy the Blu-Rays (or even the DVDs), they’re not a “real fan” like you’re trying to insinuate – I’m just posing a general, hypothetical question here; if you had the choice between the two, why not pick the better version, if you love the show? You can always upgrade later and things are cheaper now than ever before – it’s not too difficult for an earnest knowledge-seeker to find good deals. Of course, if you don’t, then that’s totally fine, other things *are* more important*, like I said before, all I did was pose a hypothetical question. ;-)

105. The Lightning Lord
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:34 am | Permalink

And although I don’t agree with many of his more recent films, Ridley Scott, being one of Hollywood’s greatest directors, probably has far more authority to comment on this topic, having worked on home media for decades and decades, including the excellent recent Blade-Runner release. Here’s what he had to say today about Blu-Ray today: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7854. I rest my case.

106. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:58 am | Permalink

The Lightning Lord,

Based on your reply here and on this post you made in an earlier thread, it is clear that we don’t attach the same meaning to words… No problem.

107. Paul
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:20 am | Permalink

It’s a shame they didn’t have this available before Christmas, it would have been a big seller. HBO blew it.

108. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Regarding the audition tapes, is there any confirmation that they will be on the DVDs (as well as the Blu-Ray)? Asking because the “dragon’s eggs” were listed as BR exclusives earlier, and I still think the auditions may be the dragon’s eggs (at least a part of them).

109. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Paul,

HBO will use the box sets to create hype for season 2 so it was planned all along to get it out closer to when that season airs.

110. Degausser
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:36 am | Permalink

so what ever happened to that aerys/brandon scene?
    do you think that’ll be in the dragons eggs or it won’t be anywhere at all?

111. Elena Amici
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

the goat: Asking because the “dragon’s eggs” were listed as BR exclusives earlier, and I still think the auditions may be the dragon’s eggs (at least a part of them).

this. i really want to know it, before I pre-order anything

112. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:01 am | Permalink

FYI, Iceland tv did another set report. The vid doesn’t seem to work, but Domenico Barbato posted a link to a couple (lo-fi) screencaps of Ygritte!

113. Josh
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Alan,

This! How is there no commentary for Baelor?!?
    Regardless, this is a Blu-Ray instabuy

114. Epic knows nothing
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

The Lightning Lord,

I definitely enjoy p720 resolution on 14 to 24 inch computer screens. i1080 resolution videos are over the top for screens this size. Also, if it’s the choice of downloading 5GB for 720 or 30GB for 1080, it’s a no-brainer.

But, you know, if I had a 50″ tv I would buy the best resolution player available. But I don’t plan of having a huge tv like that any time soon, so I will probably never buy any BR.

115. surfKraken
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

They said the same thing about apple in the mid 90′s.

Epic-itty,

116. surfKraken
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I bet there’s a way good chance there will be a significant amount of season 2 footage on there.!

Tywin’s Bastard:
    Paul,

117. Epic knows nothing
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

surfKraken,

That’s what they are saying about HD On Demand now. For the money they’ll be making from not having to produce discs and from being able to compete against piracy by providing the internet with streamlined HD video on demand, Hollywood will finally be where they want to be.

118. Shinyteapot
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Searching for ‘game of thrones’ on Amazon.co.uk, I noticed someone is selling fridge magnets with what appear to be some of the photoshopped images that were created before series 1. I have no idea if the seller has any relation to whoever made the images. They’re not exactly expensive so I doubt anyone is making much money!

Just thought I’d point it out since it seems strange.

119. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing: But I don’t plan of having a huge tv like that any time soon,

No offense, but isn’t that the opposite of epic?

120. surfKraken
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Yeah I would be tempted by that. See season 2 footage early would be like bait on a hook to a fish for me.

Epic knows nothing,

121. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

I would actually buy those but I’m in the U.S.
    Hopefully they’ll create a nice fridge buzz for the show!

122. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

(and THAT, ladies and sellswords’ gets, is probably the most obscure radiohead reference I’ll ever make, anywhere.)

123. Epic knows nothing
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

the goat,

lol nice one.. wait, I can spin on that…

I guess sitting on the couch to watch TV isn’t in my personal category of epic. I know there are ways to make it sound more appealing. I’ll just leave that to the Hollywood director-become-blueray-salespersons to plug Sony for me.

Though I could see that if watching tv was more important in my life, getting a big screen would be epic. I imagine there are a lot of couch potatoes in this crowd.

Personally, I prefer good sound over big picture. It really makes a huge difference. If I can’t be immersed with the sound with speakers or headphones, it’s just not as intense. The mind is able to focus on the picture and ignore outside the frame, but sound isn’t so easily picked out.. not so much. And most sound systems really are terrible. People here are talking about lossless sound but they aren’t talking about nice speakers, sound processing, etc. TVs (big and small) have tiny almost useless speakers.. why? But I disgress.

124. loco73
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

dizzy_34,

If you want to pick up a copy of HBO’s “Spawn”, look for the 10th aniversary steel case edition. That one has all 3 seasons plus a bonus special features disc. The one I have is the DVD set, I don’t have the details of the Blue-ray set (or even if there is one).

125. Rob Waddle
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

No date of release or pre=order on Amazon UK last time I looked. I shall deffo be pre-ordering :)

126. Rob Waddle
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Cancel my previous! Amazon UK says 5 March & I’ve pre-ordered :)

127. Sean Fan
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

It sucks that the UK DVDs (both the Blu-ray and regular versions) have more “extras” than the U.S. versions (region 1)! Why? Doesn’t make sense that they aren’t all alike. I can see the Blu-ray versions of any region having more than the regular DVD but why region to region?

128. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

Eh, I was just “shitting in your boots,” as the Imp would say. The whole wannabe A/V Club pissing match has become more tiresome than nipples on a breastplate. To each his (or her) own, and may R’hllor save us all.

Sean Fan,

Aside from the various bonus videos, they’ll all be the same.

129. Epic The Balls
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

the goat: more tiresome than nipples on a breastplate

Fair enough. But nipples on a breastplate is not tiresome to look at at’all, no. Useless, sure, maybe. But tiresome? No bloody way–I love it! In glorious HD! More nipple on breastplate, I say!

130. Elena Amici
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls,

are we talking about Batman-like breastplate nipples or actual nipples? because THAT would be kinda creepy

131. Epic The Balls
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Whatever you think is creepy is what I meant, except on armor. So, yes, real nipples or nipplish affections impressed on hard armor. Not sure what batman-like nipple breastplate is… is that like… spandex? For some reason I can only picture Abed in a costume sneaking into his landlord’s apartment.

132. Susan C
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Hmmm… was hoping to see the outtakes from Tyrion’s confession.

Lex, add me to the Brotherhood without Bluray… no point in replacing perfectly good DVD players just to get Bluray. Not that it would do me any good anyhow. The primary household TV is an RCA that’s 21+ yrs old and still going strong, so HD wouldn’t do me any good anyway. That TV will probably outlive me! Try getting THAT kind of life span from an LCD.

133. Knurk
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Susan C:
    Hmmm… was hoping to see the outtakes from Tyrion’s confession.

Lex, add me to the Brotherhood without Bluray… no point in replacing perfectly good DVD players just to get Bluray. Not that it would do me any good anyhow.The primary household TV is an RCA that’s 21+ yrs old and still going strong, so HD wouldn’t do me any good anyway.That TV will probably outlive me! Try getting THAT kind of life span from an LCD.

holy crap, count me crazy but I’d love to see a few screenshots from your tv when you put in the GoT DVD’s haha.

This is actually a perfect example about the sillyness of the br/dvd-debate. Some people are technophiles and want the best of the best, other people are just fine with something that works and want to see the story. I have a good friend who loves movies just as much as I do, but I can’t watch movies at his place because he watches on his laptop and has a crappy tv which I can’t stand. That doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the movie equally and be passionate about it.

134. kindly man
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:48 am | Permalink

For people who might not know, but the series is also availeble on play.com for € 35.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Amazon.co.uk sells the DVD for €33, available for preorder now (both DVD and BR). And they have replaced audition tapes in the list with Dragon/Golden Eggs (only on the BluRay edition) I was right about the secret extra material! :) Amazon spilled the beans :P

136. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

I might be stereotyping but usually people who are couch potatoes take up nom de InterwebZ like ‘Epic’. ;-)
    From what you said your avatar name should be ‘Sardonic Intellectual with a Life’.

EPIC FAIL!!!!

137. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Geez I never felt so low for owning a PS3 and a small HDTV :-) We’re not all fanatical materialists you know. I just want to see ALL of the freckles on Ms. Bianco’s bosom!
    Seriously though I agree with Knurk: we both want to see the story, as long as we both get to enjoy it why the schism?

138. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Epic The Balls,

Are you telling me you have never witnessed the wanton campy glory of the Schumacher era Batman films?

139. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

okay, I still didn’t understand if the Dragon Eggs, ahem, the audiction tapes are a BR only feature or are also available on DVD. Can someone please spell this out? :D

Joshua Taylor:
    Epic The Balls,

:D :D

Posted December 8, 2011 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Elena Amici,

BR only, unfortunately.

Some glitches aside, I like how the UK details on the DVD/BluRay editions are much more specific and precise than those on the Amazon mothersite.

141. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:

BR only, unfortunately.

thanks.
    Now I need to find out if I have a BR player at home.. I’m quite sure my dad does. mmmm

142. Susan C
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Maybe someone will take pity on us poor vanilla DVD users and post the auditions on YouTube.

143. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:13 am | Permalink

Susan C,

Maybe? I give it one hour after the first people recieve their Blurays :-) And no, I won’t feel guilty for watching online the snippets HBO decides not to include on the DVDs…

144. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho: Maybe? I give it one hour after the first people recieve their Blurays :-)

this :D
    I only hope the video will be in HD ;)

Posted December 8, 2011 at 7:31 am | Permalink

I also got 2 pounds off the price because I signed up for the notification when the boxsets become available. Yay! :)

146. Lisa
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Do you need a credit card to pre-order on Amazon UK (if you’re ordering from outside the UK)?

147. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Lisa:

I don’t think so. I usually use PayPal.
    Anyway, you can trust Amazon with your credit card :)

148. Lisa
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Elena Amici: I don’t think so. I usually use PayPal.
    Anyway, you can trust Amazon with your credit card :)

149. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Lisa: My trust is not the problem, more the fact that my credit card doesn’t exist. ;)

I have the same problem :) I think I’m going to ask to a friend to do it for me

150. Lisa
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Elena Amici: I have the same problem :) I think I’m going to ask to a friend to do it for me

Yeah, I need to ask someone. Just saw that they don’t accept PayPal.

151. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Lisa: Yeah, I need to ask someone. Just saw that they don’t accept PayPal.

152. Lisa
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Elena Amici: wow, this is weird. I’m pretty sure they used to, because I used PayPal to buy Dance o.O

They really accept only credit cards. Well, just need to find someone with a credit card because I’m not going to wait for Amazon Germany (and apparently the DVDs/BluRays will have an age restriction in Germany which means there will be tons of special conditions for delivery) to pre-order the BluRays there.

153. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Lisa,

I understand what you mean. I’m not going to wait for Amazon Italy either, especially since I want to buy the English version

154. Ed
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

LOL!!!!!

B Cogman:
    One thing you’ll learn from my commentary track:

I say “absolutely” an absurd number of times.

155. Knurk
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

This is what Aragorn84 on the bluray.com forum has to say about the sampler disc:

Well, nobody stopped me… So I decided it was high time I got into ‘The Wire’ and get my GoT sampler disc.

I’m afraid I’m not currently listening through an HD surround setup, so I can’t properly evaluate the mix (Update: listening to the DTS track now on my system – it’s killer ), but it certainly looks fantastic with amazing detail. I never doubted it would, being shot digitally and all – but it still wowed me. The HD broadcast was already pretty good – but the BD transfer blows it away. This pretty much makes the March wait all the more excruciating.

Looks like we can carefully say HBO nailed it again with a perfect bluray release regarding image and audioquality.

156. Jay
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I did a quick Ctrl+F and couldn’t find this, so just so everyone knows, Amazon UK has a code for £2 off the blu-ray and DVD sets. Not much, sure, but with free delivery as well, it makes the blu-ray about £32, which is pretty good. The code is ‘THRNGAME’ in case anyone wants it.

157. Adam Whitehead
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Not wanting to rehash the debate, but I’d like to point out this is not the case in all territories. In the UK a new DVD is released at around £9.99 for the first week on sale, rises to about £15 for a few weeks, and can then usually be found at less than £10 after that point. Blu-Rays typically release at £14.99 for the first week, rise to about £19.99 (or sometimes £24.99) and then stay there for quite some time. Some of the big stores or Amazon sometimes have bargains and deals, but these are not very common compared to DVD.

This is because everyone and their mother in the UK owns a DVD player, but the adoption of Blu-Ray has proceeded at an utterly miniscule rate compared to the uptake of DVDs after the same period on sale (and the overwhelming majority of that is down to the PlayStation 3 rather than the success of BR players themselves). No-one denies that Blu-Rays are superior – I have just switched to Blu-Rays for new releases myself – but in the UK at least, paying anything from 50% to maybe 200% extra for Blu-Ray is not really justified by the increase in quality.

158. lloyd irvin -
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for finally writing about >More Game of Thrones Season One DVD/Blu-Ray details emerge – WinterIsComing.

net <Liked it!