Thrones scores writing and producing award nominations
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, News.

WGA AwardGame of Thrones continues to rack up award nominations. Today both the Writers Guild of America and the Producers Guild of America announced their 2011 nominations and Thrones made both lists.

First, the WGA nominated the whole Game of Thrones writing team from the first season (David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Jane Espenson, Bryan Cogman, and George R. R. Martin) in the categories of Television Drama Series and New Series. Winners of these awards will be announced Feb 19th.

The PGA nominated Thrones for “The Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Drama” (that’s a mouthful). Presumably this award would go to Benioff and Weiss, as well as the series’ various co-producers. The winners will be announced on Jan 29th.

UPDATE: Another award, two more nominations! The International Press Agency announced the nominees for the 2011 Satellite Awards, which include Game of Thrones as best genre TV series, and Peter Dinklage as best supporting actor in television programming. The awards will be presented on Dec 18th.

Wondering about more possible chances for Thrones to garner some more recognition? The Screen Actors Guild Awards announce their nominations on Dec 14th and the Golden Globe Awards announce their noms on Dec 15th. Let’s keep that hardware coming!

Winter Is Coming: Big congrats to the whole Game of Thrones cast and crew and especially to the nominees themselves! It is crazy to me how well received this show has been. I mean, I had hoped for some awards recognition, this being HBO and all, but this is more than I would have ever dreamed. And the best part? This is only season one!

1. Marius
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Congrats, more nominations! Every one deserved. First btw! Whee

2. Rukie44
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

By the time this “award season” is over (uh, when does it end again?), season two will have premiered and it will all start anew!

3. The Rabbit
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I share the same feelings as you.
    Quite surreal.
    Not so long ago we only have been dreaming about “our” show beeing so succesfull.
    I admit I did not dare to predict such a blast.

Congratulations to all nominees!

4. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Valar dohaeris!

Also just checked, DGA (Directors Guild) TV nominees will be announced Jan 10. Winners announced Jan 28.

Posted December 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

the goat, yup, we have that one circled on our calendar. Also coming up are the AFI Awards (Dec 11), People’s Choice Awards winners (Jan 11), the SFX Sci-Fi Awards winners (Feb 8) and the BAFTA awards (Apr 30 noms, May 27 winners).

6. surfKraken
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

For some of us this is not a surprise. We know how cutting edge the show is.

For every one involved creating Hot…they deserve all this and more.

7. Robett, the Mighty Warhammer
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Crongats!!! It’s really great to get so nominations and (probable) awards!!! And if this season has earned this recognition imagine the second, which i belive will be fantastic. All of this is fair because GoT is simply amazing!!!

8. loco73
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Congrats indeed!

9. Epic The Balls
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

I’m sure they deserve whatever this is, but it has failed to erect my attentions. I will presently retire until further news or quasi-flames sprout again.

10. Elena Amici
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    I share the same feelings as you.
    Quite surreal.
    I admit I did not dare to predict such a blast.

this ^^

11. Ankem
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Nothing really related to the news but Stannis posted on G+ :

12. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Every new award nomination underlines again that even a usually sceptically received subgenre can attract the praise it diserves if the story is good enough. Just imagine a similar show produced to the same high HBO standards but lacking a good story, and it would NEVER have been so well-recieved. And we all know who deserves most of the credit for the writing!

13. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Ankem:
    Nothing really related to the news but Stannis posted on G+ :

[edit: it took me a second look to realize that's not a blood stain on his tunic...]

14. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

WGA: Drama series gonna be tough, goin up against Breaking Bad & Mad Men. Great chance of winning New Series, though, only real competition is Homeland (New Girl? honestly?). Can’t believe neither Ep. 8 nor 9 got nominated for Episodic Drama, but two Boardwalk and two Breaking Bad eps? Not that they aren’t great, but really?

Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: Regardless of the fact that that looks terribly photoshopped (earliest posproduction probably?), I was terribly excited to see epic Stannis!

That’s because it is Photoshopped, by this guy. Still cool though!

the goat: Can’t believe neither Ep. 8 nor 9 got nominated for Episodic Drama, but two Boardwalk and two Breaking Bad eps? Not that they aren’t great, but really?

Yeah, plus a Dexter episode. Really? I don’t watch, but last I heard that show’s quality had really dropped.

16. Mormegil
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

GoT got a couple of nominations in the IPA Satellite Awards.

Television Series: Genre

and Peter D for Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television

17. Ankem
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Oh ok lol Seemed half-legit for me too. He did a great job though.

18. Elena Amici
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: last I heard that show’s quality had really dropped.

this has been happening for a while now. Dexter is a zombie show, it just WON’T die

19. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Ankem:
    Oh ok lol Seemed half-legit for me too. He did a great job though.

He did a decent job indeed, and I applaud any contribution by creative fans that fills in the long waits between official season 2 promotion…

20. Connor Cassel
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

congrats, best show on tv easily. smells like the beginning of a long summer for hbo.

21. Full of Greyjoy
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Yeah, Dexter has become very boring. With the exception of Season 4′s ending, there have been no real surpises. It’s pretty sad when the showrunners are either too scared to do anything new or just lacking creativity. I really enjoyed the first couple seasons, but each season has basically maintained very similar storylines even down to the beats in the story.

Good thing I have GoT, Californication, and Walking Dead to enjoy.

22. Langkard
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

The writing and producer awards nominations are well-deserved. Congratulations!

23. NewJeffCT
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Time Magazine has also listed “A Dance with Dragons” as the top work of fiction for all of 2011. That’s fiction, not just fantasy.

24. the goat
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

No offense to those guys, but its a bit mind blowing. As Nick Sobotka said, “Seniority sucks…if you ain’t a senior.” Perhaps next year.

On the plus side: Louie (Comedy Series), Futurama (Animation), and Conan and Colbert (Comedy/Variety) all got nominated.

25. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Boardwalk Empire – A Dangerous Maid was nothing special as far as I remember, but Age Of Reason was awesome, one of the best BE episodes. There are even better episodes later in season 2, like the last two. BE is a great show, deserving every praise it gets.

Breaking Bad – IMHO it’s the best show on TV, my all-time favorite. It’s no use to talk about the specific episodes because they are all genius in every aspect and this show should get every possible award and then more awards should be invented just for it. Bryan Cranston deserved those 3 lead actor Emmys he got and (please don’t ban me from here for what I’m about to say) the only reason Peter Dinklage got an Emmy this year is that Aaron Paul wasn’t eligible for an award for season 4, because it as still airing. If this show doesn’t get the “Best drama” Emmy next year, there’s something wrong with this world.

26. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Forgot to mention Dexter – 6th season has been really good so far, much better than the last one. Colin Hanks makes a really good crazy villain.

27. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT,

Damn, it’s definitely becoming too mainstream…

28. andrea
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

the goat,

I am glad that GoT get all kinds of nominations, but somehow I was sure it would (for different reasons).
    But Louie… oh Louie!

29. The Instrumentalist
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I love Dexter. I mean I would love GOT to win another award, but those two other shows took up two spaces apiece. Really? I think Thrones could have taken two noms, honestly.

30. Elena Amici
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky: If this show doesn’t get the “Best drama” Emmy next year, there’s something wrong with this world.

cough *mad men* cough :D

31. Knurk
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT:
    Time Magazine has also listed “A Dance with Dragons” as the top work of fiction for all of 2011.That’s fiction, not just fantasy.

32. Knurk
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

andrea:
    the goat,

I am glad that GoTget all kinds of nominations, but somehow I was sure it would (for different reasons).
    But Louie… oh Louie!

yay Louie! That show is awesome!

Elena Amici: cough *mad men* cough :D

Mad Men isn’t eligible next year. Though season 2 of GoT really needs to be superdupercrazy-awesome to top Breaking Bad’s season 4.

33. Impi
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Peter Dinklage was GQ Magazines Stud of the Year – 2011.

34. andrea
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

I love him completely… I don´t know how to express this, really. I LOVE HIM.
    Who´s Idris Elba? C´mon. Louie CK is the man.

35. Knurk
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

andrea,

haha, soon we will start our Louie CK for Mance Rayder campaign.

36. Knurk
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Knurk: I’m sorry to be a partypooper but that just can’t be taken seriously. Lev Grossman is just begging for a GRRM-quote to recommend his own books.

scratch that, GRRM already gave him a blurb.

“These days any novel about young sorcerers at wizard school inevitably invites comparison to Harry Potter. Lev Grossman meets the challenge head on… and very successfully. The Magicians is to Harry Potter as a shot of Irish whiskey is to a glass of weak tea. Solidly rooted in the traditions of both fantasy and mainstream literary fiction, the novel tips its hat to Oz and Narnia as well to Harry, but don’t mistake this for a children’s book. Grossman’s sensibilities are thoroughly adult, his narrative dark and dangerous and full of twists. Hogwart’s was never like this.”

—George R. R. Martin, author of the A Song of Ice and Fire series

And George is calling negative reviewers on Amazon sockpuppets, lol.

37. andrea
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Knurk,
    please Knurk, please, Louie is Azor Ahai, he´s the prince that was promised. Yes, yes, he likes to masturbate a lot… is just a detail. Nobody expects a perfect prince.
    You know what? Louie is too good a father to be in GoT. Let´s forget it and enjoy it just how it is.

38. Impi
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I really do seriously love Idris Elba! He was in The Wire, and Luther, he also did an episode of No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, a handful of episodes of The Office and was in last summer’s Thor.

39. andrea
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Impi,

yes I know, I love him too. It was a joke because Knurk and I (and many others) once proposed Elba to play Mance Ryder just cause we think he´s a god. But I met Louie CK (last week) and all that Idris Elba thing is over for me now. I am very volatile.

40. Impi
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I will glad keep a space warm for you when you come back aboard the Idris Elba love train. I would love love love to see him join GoT in any role.

41. Knurk
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

andrea,

waitwaitwaitwaitwait. You actually met Louie CK? Damn woman, don’t tease! Tell us the whole story!

42. andrea
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

oh Knurk, I really really like you just for think it is possible for me to meet him but If I had met Louie CK I wouldn´t be here right now. I don´t know where, but not here. Maybe hospitalized or screaming from a mountaintop.
    I’ll keep dreaming though. Believe me, if true, I tell you. I was in NY in 1998… too soon for Louie and me. Pity.
    And he speaks spanish!!!

Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Knurk: scratch that, GRRM already gave him a blurb.

And George is calling negative reviewers on Amazon sockpuppets, lol.

44. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

45. andrea
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I am surprised as everyone believes that GoT needs more publicity and money from the viewers. I, for one, am (strangely) confident that Got will do very well. You know, certainty is the mother of all idiots but still… I´m confident.

46. Knurk
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Yeah but, Grossman’s books are actually good. The Magicians was a really fun read. I’m reading the sequel, The Magician King, now and so far it is even better. Haven’t read Codex yet, will probably go back and read it after I finish King.

of course it can be a good book, but this ‘I scratch your back, you scratch my back’ thing irks me a bit. I know this is how the world works (and definately the book review-world where every book reviewer wants to be a writer himself) but I just felt the need to call it out this time (because let’s be frank, nr.1 fiction book of the year?).

Joshua Taylor: Oh well our thoughts on ADWD aside, it’s great publicity for the series. The more buzz the more seasons we may get. I also believe that the attention that ADWD garners is extended to the previous books as well.

I wouldn’t be myself if I didn’t disagree with you haha. Putting this book on number 1 creates expectations the book for most fans won’t meet. And Andrea is right, the buzzo-meter for GoT is full. More is always great but I have the idea almost everyone now has heard of ‘our little show.’

47. andrea
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Knurk: And Andrea is right,

how I love to read that. Not happen often so, thank you.

48. Epic knows nothing
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

The first thing Grossman needs to do is change his name. I am not an educated person but I can tell you that no family history is worth that name. Maybe if his name wasn’t Grossman he’d have written books not about magicians and about something a little closer to the heart of mature adults instead. Like about something that makes you think, like wow.

PS: GRRM called Pooter books weak tea. I think that’s funny. I would rather call it chunky british cheesecake with lots of fruit and nuts in it, which is disgusting for cheesecake, never mind the fact that it’s mysteriously chunky cheesecake before you add the nuts, but yet people ate that fruitcheesecake a whole lot and inevitably became obese, and then their fat heads fell over.

49. Alan
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:22 am | Permalink

James P. put GoT as the 5th best series and the 10th best episode for Baelor in the same edition of Time.

50. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Knurk,

Even though I speak of different scenarios, the fate of Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, Firefly and most likely Fringe informs me to take nothing in TV industry land for granted.
    I was not the biggest fan of ADWD either (though probably not to your level of disappointment ;-)) but I will say again that any mention of ADWD in popular media is a mention of ASOIAF as a whole. The most recent novel is just the excuse for columnists to showcase the books and Game of Thrones the television series.

51. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

Are you a humorist perchance? Do you have a column or a blog under a different name? You seem to put alot into your comments what with rotating variations of Epic and their overall incisiveness. With what evidence I had available I have concluded that you are a citizen of Europe, maybe from the UK. That said your style reminds me of American humour columnist Dave Barry.

Our differences aside, I am curious as to what upbringing/education/career produces such wit.

If you don’t care to share that’s fine. Just curious is all.

Have a nice day.

52. Epic knows nothing
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:06 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor: With what evidence I had available I have concluded that you are a citizen of Europe

lol..

Joshua Taylor: I am curious as to what upbringing/education/career produces such wit.

pure alien dna and huge boobies

53. the goat
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:58 am | Permalink

Mormegil:
    GoT got a couple of nominations in the IPA Satellite Awards.

Television Series: Genre

Holy Shit, Charlie Day has actually been nominated for something? It must be make believe.

54. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Knurk: yay Louie! That show is awesome!

55. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

A simplistic but satisfying answer. I had an idea that you were a figment of my imagination to tell you the truth. Boy am I relieved! No mental institution for me…yet. I shall go to bed and dream of what you said.

I take it your not European then? I only assumed because of certain sentiments in posts I have read by you seemed to Indicate an anti-American stance. But considering several comments you made towards Canada, I’m feeling you may be south of the border. After all, no Englishman would put down another member of the Commonwealth….right?

Posted December 8, 2011 at 3:51 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

Great, thanks, added to the list.

And congrats to Bryan Cogman for getting the WGA nomination alongside other writers!

57. the goat
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:50 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    , Also coming up are the AFI Awards (Dec 11), People’s Choice Awards winners (Jan 11),the SFX Sci-Fi Awards winners (Feb 8) and the BAFTA awards (Apr 30 noms, May 27 winners).

Me gusta!

SAG nominees Dec 14, awards 1/29.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink

the goat,

As mentioned in the post ;)

59. Dholton
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink

It’s not a nomination, but Time Magazine just came out with their Top Ten Lists, and GoT made both the Best TV series, and and Best TV Episodes list with “Baelor”.

60. Thiago Slash
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky:

this!
    the 3rd season was really weak, comparing to the other ones. but last season (5th) and this one are proving better!

61. Knurk
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky: The fifth season of Mad Men will start airing next March, so it probably will be eligible for 2012 Emmy. It is a good drama, but IMO it doesn’t deserve the automatic best drama Emmy it got for all the seasons so far.

my bad, I thought it wouldn’t premiere until the fall of 2012.

62. Elena Amici
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Dholton,

and Dance is 1# in the top fiction books :)

63. SG
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Nice to see Game of Thrones nominated alongside the best show on TV, Breaking Bad. It will be really hard deciding which show to root for at the Emmys next year! I absolutely love Peter Dinklage, but Aaron Paul has been phenomenal as Jesse Pinkman, especially the last two seasons, and I’d have given him the award if his show had been eligible this year. Considering how large a role Tyrion has in Clash of Kings, I think they should consider him a lead actor next season, not a supporting actor. But then he’d have to compete against Bryan Cranston, who has too many Emmys to carry!

Both shows are so well written, they deserve all the accolades they can muster. With BB having only sixteen episodes left, it will be nice to still have GOT on the air for (hopefully) many seasons after that.

1. [...] Golden Globes ceremony on Jan 15 (2 GoT noms), the Producers Guild of America Awards on Jan 21 (1 nom), the 18th Screen Actors Guild Awards on Jan 29 (2 noms), plus a bunch of possible further [...]