MGoT: How working on the set of Thrones is like a rock festival
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming.

Cat Taylor on Set
Cat Taylor is back with another Making Game of Thrones post, in this one she compares working on the set of Game of Thrones to a rock festival.

1. The field is full of tents, and positioning is everything. Avoiding horse dung, flooding, high winds and steep slopes is the ideal.
  2. Wellingtons or hiking boots are a must to avoid swamp foot. There is high risk that your foot will get stuck in the inches of thick and churned up mud. Socks will be the most important thing about your day.
  3. A smart crew member will avoid the portaloos at all costs, using honey wagons at base, or bushes if no lights are shining (and they happen to be male).
  4. By the third day, wet wipes become a human rights issue.
  5. Phone signal will drop in and out intermittently, usually just before you’re supposed to meet or call someone.
  6. Sun on the field will make it all seem worthwhile, even if you are helping push a 4×4 out of the muck.
  7. Security will spend a good deal of time explaining what is happening and why, sadly, passers-by aren’t allowed behind the scenes without a pass.
  8. The traffic to and from location will be dreadful as everyone tries to arrive at the same time.
  9. Finding the coffee hut and biscuits is like finding the Lost Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
  10. Occasionally, Snow Patrol swing by. It’s a lovely surprise to reveal that the producer’s guests for the evening are some of Belfast’s finest home grown talent.

Winter Is Coming: Snow Patrol on the set of Thrones? My mind can’t even comprehend that much awesomeness in one place.

1. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Good stuff.

2. Robett, the Mighty Warhammer
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Those posts keep me alive! Still can believe that Snow Patrol like Game of Thrones and go to the set! It is simply awesome!!
    Ah, and 1st

3. sjwenings
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I’m just gonna be true to my feelings here, and say that I don’t fucking care!

All in all the content on MGOT have been reeeaaally lackluster!

4. Stannis
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Tell me about the show!!!! Filming has wrapped…? I want to know if there’s new titles sequence locations, how they’re going to do cgi wolves and dragons. And I really want to see Dillane as Stannis. The man is a god

5. Epic New Music From
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

This is great. I’m so excited about season 2!!!

6. Drogon
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Drogon:
    These “posts” have been a complete joke- and they’re actually paying this woman? For what? Taking pictures of abandoned lorries and of herself, smiling slyly as if it is all about her. I’VE HAD ENOUGH. Does she even know what ASOIAF is? One of the most epic fantasy series ever created, now being adapted for the small screen, and she is given a chance many would die for- to go behind the scenes and give loyal fans something to keep them going till April, yet we get cryptic messages and crap posts- she simply isn’t doing her job well enough.It’s just complete bullshit, her posts have given nothing of great interest or importance about the second season. It simply isn’t good enough.

She’s the assistant to the producers. She wasn’t hired just to make blog posts from the set. And she also isn’t the one that takes the pictures, nor does she decide what pictures get posted nor does she get to decide what posts go up. So your anger is very misplaced.

8. surfKraken
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I appreciate her Cat Taylor throwing us a bone here and there. But the nones she throws have no meat on them. Her poetic yabber has no facts, no details, no fuel for my fire!

9. Patchy face
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Really guys… Chill. We know that GoT is life but come on! How you gonna make it four more months?

10. Two Feathers
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: And she also isn’t the one that takes the pictures, nor does she decide what pictures get posted nor does she get to decide what posts go up

Sooooooo….Thats possibly three people plus herself,all being paid to put these MGoT posts together!!??……..mmmm. Does not look like good value for money to me.
    Cat writes the words,Helen takes the pictures, but who makes the final decisions? That is the person that any angst should be directed towards. These MGoT post have been woeful.

11. lila
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Robett, the Mighty Warhammer,

Gary Lightbody is a huge fan of the show, just see what he said about it on his tumblr: http://icanhover.tumblr.com/post/5278755693/game-of-thrones-sweet-jesus-its-a-great-show

And the GoT kids have seen Snow Patrol at some award music show in Belfast, they twitted pics of them with Gary and Tom. So cute!! http://a.yfrog.com/img876/4939/85693145.jpg & https://p.twimg.com/AdhzmTbCMAAeqx5.jpg :)

12. Patrick Perrault
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Without trying to sound like a complete jackass… I am afraid I have to agree; these MGoT posts have been very lackluster and boring. It seems to me that each new post is having a competition as to which is the most boring and unneeded… and each new one seems to raise the stakes a little higher.

13. Chris
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

I think Winter is saying that they have other “real” jobs on set. Cat isn’t being paid to write 3 or 4 blog posts a month and Helen is probably responsible for every photograph taken for the show, not only the 5 or so we have seen on this blog this year.

I’m sure they are all super busy and are just throwing us a few bones as a favor. This season has definitely been a step down from last year, but that’s like complaining about someone gifting you 20$ instead of 100$.

14. the goat
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Well, that does remind me of Coachella. Minus the mud, of course. That’s more of a Glasto thing.

15. Noah Burgher
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

hold up, Snow Patrol likes Game of Thrones? this may or may not be the greatest day of my life. leaning towards may though.

16. Langkard
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

On a side note… does anyone know what is up with GRRM’s website? It says the account has been suspended!

17. G_Lee
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 2:48 am | Permalink

Completely off-topic and random, but I just watched this interview with Stephen Fry but what I saw was Wyman Manderly!
    Fry eating Freys… how awesome would that be!

18. EvilPicnic
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

G_Lee:
    Fry eating Freys… how awesome would that be!

Stephen Fry would be a great Manderly!

On topic, however I really have no interest in Snow Patrol – it’s like they’re in a competition with Coldplay as to who can be the most mediocre, but don’t have as much of a gift for tunes.

Even so, I’m not sure why people are complaining about the posts. Some of them are on the boring side, but still: I would rather read a boring but authentic blog-post from someone involved in production than a titillating but fluffy blog-post written by a copy-writer in the back room of some PR firm.

And at the end of the day, if you don’t like them, stop reading them. There are a million other blogs put there…

19. Drogon
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Apologies , I obviously did not know the full extent of the situation, but still, whoever is in charge of what is put on the MGOT site just really anger me, because it just doesn’t isn’t up to the standard I would have expected from HBO. I keep hoping these posts will get better, but they just don’t, unfortunately. Ah, well at least it’ll be a nice surprise when April finally comes. :)

20. Daan
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I do like these little silly background posts. It is just enough to wet my appetite for anything GoT related without spoiling anything. Before the first season I got overloaded with images from the show and at a certain moment stopped watching any previews etc.
    I love to be surprised by the show when it actually airs.

21. Jay
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

So has Snow Patrol actually visited the set? When I read that, I thought it was a joke and she meant the people in charge of the fake snow; the people that patrol around with the snow.

22. Thiago Slash
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

GoT has always been metal!

23. Chump Force 1
    Posted December 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

If her blog was “Daily musings from the set by Cat Taylor” then I wouldn’t have a problem with the content of her entries but last I checked it was “Making Game of Thrones” so therefore I would expect some content related to the actual filming of the series.

I also think people are letting her off too lightly with the “she is just the assistant” crap…so some unseen, nameless, faceless HBO Exec is giving her copy and lame pictures and forcing her to post under her name? Nonsense! As an assistant to D&D, she carries some pull in her position. I’m sure there is an approval process, but the she is going to have a general outline on what she wants to write about and how she will craft her article.

The main issue is the type of posts…instead of an article about shooting a particular sequence and the challenges on the set, unique equipment used, how the props are put together and for god sake how some of the main characters are adapting to the season 2 shoot, we get random pictures of extras in-between takes laying around, holding pink umbrellas and parked trucks.

Sorry, MGoT is an epic fail.

24. Alina
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Well, let’s not forget one thing: it’s the “Official Production Diary“, not an anonymous blog.
    So I think Drogon is right.

25. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

So is this an early warning that at some point in the series Snow Patrol will be playing a certain song at a certain venue?

26. Bro
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Snow Patrol! ‘Nuf said. Those dudes rock.

27. Miyay
    Posted December 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Agree about MGoT being a failure. Except for the feature on Arya and swordfighting, I didn’t really get anything substantial :(

28. Davincie
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Those poor people, having to hear Snow Patrol. My condolences.

29. Adam Whitehead
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 7:22 am | Permalink

As with Season 1, there are strong limits to what they can and cannot show on the MGOT website. They’re not going to reveal the first official pics of unseen characters or reveal lots of unseen footage this far out from transmission (and presumably a lot of stuff hasn’t been edited yet, and certainly no music work or effects have been done so far). That doesn’t leave much beyond the occasional behind-the-scenes vid or relatively minor trivia.

30. chocolate biscuit head
    Posted December 25, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Two Feathers,

None of these people are paid to do the things you talk about. Don’t be ridiculous! The people you talk about are wonderfully talented people who do this all in their spare time to interest pathetic people like you who are capable of contributing nothing to anything. These are the people who make this amazing show and keep your life worth living! Do not bite the hand that feeds you, you loathsome amoeba!

31. chocolate biscuit head
    Posted December 25, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Further to this, if Cat exposed what you truley want to find out – she would no longer be giving you these tit bits of on set insight that you are baying for. She does an exceptional job assisting D&D and brings these little bits of interesting information to us through an iron clad HBO clearance procedure that despite this enigma style security still suceed in having you hooked. Again, do not bite the hand that feeds you!