After teasing us a couple weeks ago with a letter promising more information about the first season of Game of Thrones on DVD/Blu-Ray, HBO (or should I say Varys?) delivered unto me the promised package.
Inside the beautiful, Stark-emblazoned box were some interesting items. A wax seal kit with a direwolf sigil stamp, accompanied by some Stark stationery; some lovely press photos of the Stark family from season one; a couple DVDs with press materials and other goodies (including a new video, which is embedded after the break); and, last but not least, a dragon’s egg.
The egg came with the following note…
Hmmmm… very interesting.
Alongside the egg were the DVDs. One was the first episode (which, of course, I had to watch immediately; man, I almost forgot how awesome this show is), the other was loaded with press materials, including a first look at one of the Blu-Ray’s special features. It is from the Complete Guide to Westeros, a set of 24 videos that give an animated account of the history of Westeros, narrated by the cast of the show. This one is about the gods of Westeros and is narrated by Michelle Fairley and Isaac Hempstead-Wright.
Winter Is Coming: You gotta love HBO’s marketing department. They always pull out all the stops. The box itself is very high-quality, and the stuff inside is so cool. And the animated video was great. I loved hearing Michelle and Isaac doing the narration. I can’t wait to watch the rest of these videos. And I’m really curious about these hidden dragon eggs on the Blu-Ray. What kind of clues will HBO gives us? We’ll have to wait until March to find out!
UPDATE: Westeros.org received a kit as well, only theirs was Lannister-themed!
Here are some more photos of the kit and its contents, for those interested:
And here is the full press release off the disc that came in the kit:
“Epic Win!” – Time Magazine
“Pulls you in…doesn’t let go” – Los Angeles Times
GAME OF THRONES®: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON
Available March 6, 2012 on Blu-rayTM Disc,DVD and Digital Download
Loaded with Exclusive Bonus Content Including Comprehensive Histories,
Anatomy of an Episode, In Episode Guides & Much More!
New York, N.Y., December 5, 2011 – Game of Thrones, one of the most elaborate and visually striking series on television, makes its highly-anticipated Blu-ray, DVD and digital download debut on March 6, 2012. Based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire, the sweeping fantasy saga instantly became one of HBO’s biggest hits. Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season five-disc BD ($79.98) and DVD ($59.99) sets contain a monumental array of bonus materials and interactive features that will thrill fans of the series and new viewers alike.
Game of Thrones is “tantalizing” (Los Angeles Times), “excellent” (The Hollywood Reporter) and an “HBO Triumph” (Boston Globe) that won two 2011 Emmy® awards including Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage). The drama follows kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noblemen as they vie for power in a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime. Two powerful families are engaged in a deadly cat-and-mouse game for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. As betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdoms, their bloody struggle for the Iron Throne will have unforeseen and far-reaching consequences.
The Blu-ray and DVD bonus materials included in Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season are as epic as the show it represents. A full length, 60 minute Anatomy of an Episode, extensive In-Episode Guides, meticulous histories and fascinating behind-the-scenes featurettes all detail the exceptional storytelling, superb acting and stunning visual effects that went into making this sprawling production. Content includes:
Blu-ray – includes all DVD features plus:
- Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves done with animated illustrations that provide more information on the background of Game of Thrones.
- In-Episode Guide – in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays.
- Anatomy of an Episode – an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, “A Golden Crown.”
- Hidden Dragon Eggs – find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
- Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.
- Making Game of Thrones – an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
- Character Profiles – profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.
- Creating the Show Open – an inside look at the creation of the Emmy®-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.
- From the Book to the Screen – executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin’s epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
- The Night’s Watch – an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
- Creating the Dothraki Language – an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
- Audio Commentaries – Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.
Game of Thrones series regulars include (in alphabetical order): Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, Sean Bean as Lord Eddard “Ned” Stark, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Michelle Fairley as Lady Catelyn Stark, Aidan Gillen as Petyr Baelish (“Littlefinger”), Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon, Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister, Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark, Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, Richard Madden as Robb Stark, Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”), Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. The series is executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; co-executive producers, Carolyn Strauss, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and George R.R. Martin; producers, Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger; directors include Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan, Alan Taylor and Tim Van Patten; writers include David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin.
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season
Blu-ray Disc & DVD
Street Date: March 6, 2012
Order Date: January 31, 2011
Runtime: Approx. 600 minutes (not including extra features)
BD SRP Price: $79.98
DVD SRP Price: $59.99
About HBO Home Entertainment®
HBO Home Entertainment markets an extensive array of programs ranging from the critically-acclaimed and groundbreaking series The Sopranos®, Sex and the City® and True Blood® to the multiple Emmy Award-winning mini-series The Pacific℠ and Band of Brothers®. The company’s catalog contains hundreds of titles including the Peabody Award-winning children’s program Classical Baby, provocative programs from HBO Documentary Films including When the Levees Broke, innovative movies from HBO Films including Temple Grandin, and comedy specials featuring stand-up performers like Chris Rock and Ricky Gervais. The division distributes programs to the home entertainment market in three formats: DVD, Blu-ray disc and digital download. Launched in 1984, HBO Home Entertainment has offices in New York, London and Toronto and the company’s releases are marketed in over 70 countries around the world.