Stark-themed press kit includes a dragon egg and an all-new video
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, Media.

Stark Press Kit

After teasing us a couple weeks ago with a letter promising more information about the first season of Game of Thrones on DVD/Blu-Ray, HBO (or should I say Varys?) delivered unto me the promised package.

Inside the beautiful, Stark-emblazoned box were some interesting items. A wax seal kit with a direwolf sigil stamp, accompanied by some Stark stationery; some lovely press photos of the Stark family from season one; a couple DVDs with press materials and other goodies (including a new video, which is embedded after the break); and, last but not least, a dragon’s egg.

Dragon's Egg

The egg came with the following note…

Dragon's Egg and note

Hmmmm… very interesting.

Alongside the egg were the DVDs. One was the first episode (which, of course, I had to watch immediately; man, I almost forgot how awesome this show is), the other was loaded with press materials, including a first look at one of the Blu-Ray’s special features. It is from the Complete Guide to Westeros, a set of 24 videos that give an animated account of the history of Westeros, narrated by the cast of the show. This one is about the gods of Westeros and is narrated by Michelle Fairley and Isaac Hempstead-Wright.

Winter Is Coming: You gotta love HBO’s marketing department. They always pull out all the stops. The box itself is very high-quality, and the stuff inside is so cool. And the animated video was great. I loved hearing Michelle and Isaac doing the narration. I can’t wait to watch the rest of these videos. And I’m really curious about these hidden dragon eggs on the Blu-Ray. What kind of clues will HBO gives us? We’ll have to wait until March to find out!

UPDATE: Westeros.org received a kit as well, only theirs was Lannister-themed!

Here are some more photos of the kit and its contents, for those interested:

And here is the full press release off the disc that came in the kit:

“Epic Win!” – Time Magazine
“Pulls you in…doesn’t let go” – Los Angeles Times

GAME OF THRONES®: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON
Available March 6, 2012 on Blu-rayTM Disc,DVD and Digital Download
Loaded with Exclusive Bonus Content Including Comprehensive Histories,
Anatomy of an Episode, In Episode Guides & Much More!

New York, N.Y., December 5, 2011 – Game of Thrones, one of the most elaborate and visually striking series on television, makes its highly-anticipated Blu-ray, DVD and digital download debut on March 6, 2012.  Based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire, the sweeping fantasy saga instantly became one of HBO’s biggest hits. Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season five-disc BD ($79.98) and DVD ($59.99) sets contain a monumental array of bonus materials and interactive features that will thrill fans of the series and new viewers alike.

Game of Thrones is “tantalizing” (Los Angeles Times), “excellent” (The Hollywood Reporter) and an “HBO Triumph” (Boston Globe) that won two 2011 Emmy® awards including Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage).  The drama follows kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noblemen as they vie for power in a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime.  Two powerful families are engaged in a deadly cat-and-mouse game for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. As betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdoms, their bloody struggle for the Iron Throne will have unforeseen and far-reaching consequences.

Bonus Material

The Blu-ray and DVD bonus materials included in Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season are as epic as the show it represents.  A full length, 60 minute Anatomy of an Episode, extensive In-Episode Guides, meticulous histories and fascinating behind-the-scenes featurettes all detail the exceptional storytelling, superb acting and stunning visual effects that went into making this sprawling production.  Content includes:

Blu-ray – includes all DVD features plus:

• Blu-ray Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one, PLUS 24 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms as told by the characters themselves done with animated illustrations that provide more information on the background of Game of Thrones.
  • In-Episode Guide – in-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations, and relevant histories while each episode plays.
  • Anatomy of an Episode – an in-episode experience that explores the creative minds and colossal efforts behind episode six, “A Golden Crown.”
  • Hidden Dragon Eggs – find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.

DVD:

• Complete Guide to Westeros – an interactive compendium of the noble houses and lands featured in season one.
  • Making Game of Thrones an exclusive 30-minute feature including never-before-seen footage from the set and interviews from the cast and crew.
  • Character Profiles – profiles of 15 major characters as described by the actors portraying them.
  • Creating the Show Open – an inside look at the creation of the Emmy®-winning opening title sequence for Game of Thrones.
  • From the Book to the Screen – executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss along with author George R.R. Martin talk about the challenges of bringing Martin’s epic fantasy novel to life on HBO.
  • The Night’s Watch – an in-depth look at the unique order of men who patrol and protect the Wall, a 700 foot ice structure that separates the Seven Kingdoms from the darkness beyond.
  • Creating the Dothraki Language – an insightful glance into the comprehensive language created for the Dothraki people in Game of Thrones.
  • Audio Commentaries – Seven audio commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Bryan Cogman, Harry Lloyd, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor.

Game of Thrones series regulars include (in alphabetical order):  Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, Sean Bean as Lord Eddard “Ned” Stark, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Michelle Fairley as Lady Catelyn Stark, Aidan Gillen as Petyr Baelish (“Littlefinger”), Jack Gleeson as Prince Joffrey Baratheon, Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Lena Headey as Queen Cersei Lannister, Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark, Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, Richard Madden as Robb Stark, Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”), Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark.  The series is executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; co-executive producers, Carolyn Strauss, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, Ralph Vicinanza and George R.R. Martin; producers, Mark Huffam and Frank Doelger; directors include Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan, Alan Taylor and Tim Van Patten; writers include David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin.

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season
Blu-ray Disc & DVD

Street Date:                       March 6, 2012
Order Date:                        January 31, 2011
Rating:                                  TV-MA
Runtime:                             Approx. 600 minutes (not including extra features)
BD SRP Price:                     $79.98
DVD SRP Price:                  $59.99

About HBO Home Entertainment®

HBO Home Entertainment markets an extensive array of programs ranging from the critically-acclaimed and groundbreaking series The Sopranos®, Sex and the City® and True Blood® to the multiple Emmy Award-winning mini-series The Pacific and Band of Brothers®.  The company’s catalog contains hundreds of titles including the Peabody Award-winning children’s program Classical Baby, provocative programs from HBO Documentary Films including When the Levees Broke, innovative movies from HBO Films including Temple Grandin, and comedy specials featuring stand-up performers like Chris Rock and Ricky Gervais.  The division distributes programs to the home entertainment market in three formats: DVD, Blu-ray disc and digital download.  Launched in 1984, HBO Home Entertainment has offices in New York, London and Toronto and the company’s releases are marketed in over 70 countries around the world.

1. dizzy_34
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Wow dude, I’m envious!
    I hope the extras are like that video cause that was really well done.

2. jellydonut
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Why isn’t this cool stuff included in limited releases instead of just press kits+!?

3. phoenix_torn
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Well, clearly I’m buying the blue ray…I also want that stamp!

4. C2
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Consider me jealous.

5. plehouw2
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Sooo did westeros.org get a Lannister themed one?

6. Lisa
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Wow, this looks incredibly cool! March seems too far away!

7. houndlover
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Aw man, i so want that stamp. Xmas cards would be so much cooler with that on the envelope!

8. DaveB
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

And GoT has been Moustaired!

9. Matt N
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I’m sure I recognised Maisie’s voice on that video too.

10. Michelle
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

For this religious studies nerd, that video is the BEST. THING. EVER.

Why is it not March yet? I want my BluRay!!!!!!!

11. Nimble Dick
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

First Episode of the second Season?

12. Laurel
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Is it only winter-is-coming.net and westeros.org that receive these presskit? Are the other houses of Westeros going to other websites?

13. Rukie44
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I LOVE HBO’s marketing department! They often seem like as big of fans of this series as we are! Going the extra mile with tidbits like this are what really set them apart! I can’t wait until I get my DVD now!

14. Tar Kidho
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

speechless…

15. Johan Sporre
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Colour me jealous. Incredible quality.

How are Easter eggs generally found on DVDs?

16. Joram van Schaik
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I’m so jealous I could almost get angry.

I am angry, actually.

17. Damián Erro
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Lucky snow!

18. João Amaral
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

the animated stuff is blue-ray only right?
    looks like i’m gonna have to get a blue-ray player.

19. Ivan Popić
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I love how the press kit looks. And the video is great – I must admit I imagined Baelor’s Sept completely different…

20. Sean Fan
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre: Colour me jealous. Incredible quality.How are Easter eggs generally found on DVDs?

Google it. (I did). There are several ways to find Easter eggs embedded on DVDs. Each DVD is done different. Not just one method of finding them. I’m sure the hints will be a big help later on.

21. Donna DeBoer
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

That is really awesome! My Blu-Ray set is already on preorder. I too want the Stark wax seal & stationery. HBO, your GoT merchandise offerings need immediate refreshing.

22. Martina Sunrise
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I want it too.. where did you take this?! The Stark seal is the BEST!! *_*

23. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

The Andals look badass in that video. Those ships are gnarly.

24. GabyHerondaleTallyn
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

this is awesome! so all of this will come with the bluray set from HBO?

25. Martina Sunrise
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

GabyHerondaleTallyn,

not the sigil stamp I guess ;(
    Unfortunately!

26. Mohd. Al-Shemmari
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Is this gonna be available to the public? When?

27. sjwenings
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Mohd. Al-Shemmari: Is this gonna be available to the public? When?

At least i strongly assume not.

28. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

People, this is a press kit. It’s not an advance of the Blu Ray retail package.

29. Chris77
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Wow, the video is awesome, I can’t wait to show these of to some friends and family of mine who are too lazy for the books and keep asking all these questions;)

Blu Rays are already preordered…

HBO is truly the best network in terms of marketing. With the devotion they show to the blue ray release and the marketing buzz for S2, I can’t imagine that they will cancel this show at any time before it is finished.

30. EvilPicnic
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

This is some gorgeous shit.

31. Ed
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Freakin’ awesome, love it!

Posted December 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

plehouw2:
    Sooo did westeros.org get a Lannister themed one?

Yes, but it looks like their site is down at the moment. EDIT: It’s back up.

Laurel:

From what I’ve heard, other media folks will be receiving press kits. I’m not sure if it will be the same type of thing just different houses or what. I think us and Westeros.org were the only two that got the earlier letter, so we might be the only ones to get the “special” press kits.

Mohd. Al-Shemmari:
    Is this gonna be available to the public? When?

I don’t think the whole set will be available for purchase. However, the dragon egg is actually available to purchase from the HBO Shop right now. And I wouldn’t be surprised if the stationery/wax seal ends up on there at some point.

33. dizzy_34
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Chris77: I am thrilled that the Dark Tower has found it’s way to HBO. While it is far from the greatness of ASOIAF, it has a bold premise and could become an awesome companion of GOT and would convert HBO to the official Nerd channel;) (now they only need to resurrect Firefly…)

Is that official? I thought it was just a rumor at this point.

34. darquemode
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

This is why HBO is the best network on TV. Period.

Okay, so the actual programming has something to do with it too….

Cannot wait for Season 2!
    *Hears 3 distant horn blows*

35. BobJ
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Damn it feels good to be a Thrones fan.

36. G_Lee
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

*.*

*.*

*.*

want!!!
    I love you HBO :-*

37. darquemode
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

It is official although they are still working out details and the production has yet to begin.

38. JacMac30
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Ooh you’re so lucky! ;) well done HBO for some lovely marketing again.

First Blu Ray purchase here I come! :)

Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I thought the Blu-ray only “Guide to Westeros” feature was ONE video. Turns out it’s 24 cool animated videos. I still don’t plan to buy a Blu-ray player, but I’m really quite sad I’m going to be missing out on that. I wonder what the other 23 videos are about.

40. Staeven
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Cool, just plain cool, what a great short video!!!!

PS. Very jealous of you guys with those great marketing packs, I want one and I don’t care which house it is.

41. John W
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I just canceled my pre order of the GoT 1st season dvd…..and switched to Blu-ray.

42. Erik Kluth
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Fantastic!
    VERY envious…

43. loco73
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Winter you are one lucky SOB!!!!! Damn it I want the DVD set already! Meh, meh, meh!

Thanks for the video, soo cool, love the narration and the drawings. Great work, and going into so much detail!

44. Grinbomb
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Looks very cool, I’m getting the Blu-ray version for sure. Its nice to see that HBO isn’t skimping on the extra’s for sure. Watching all the Blu-rays the month before season two comes out will help the time go by faster

45. Jonathan Leard
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I think the winner of the fantasy football league should totally get this.

Especially if it’s the Chequy Lions.

46. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Extraordinary. The marketing department at HBO is simply second-to-none. How spoiling. How absolutely delightful.

That clip on religion is stellar, too. If all the clips are of such fine quality then this purchase shall be well worth it indeed, on top of the bottom dollar aspect of desiring to support a series I’d rather not see go by the wayside any time soon.

Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Lex:

I edited the post to add the full press release that came on one of the DVDs as it lists in detail the different special features. The videos are described as “25 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms” so I’m guessing others will be about the Night’s Watch, Aegon’s Invasion, maybe some histories of the great houses, etc.

48. lena
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

i could literally listen to Isaac read just about anything!!!!! please post all of the videos!!!

49. userj
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

that vid was really cool!!! I actually didn’t know the details of a lot of that history. Awesome.

50. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,

Thanks for the reminder!

51. The Rabbit
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Awesome :)
    HBO marketing really knows the bussiness.

52. Liesie
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Being Jealous right now (though you earned it very very very much!). O my what an awesome package!!!! Just WOW!

53. Lise Bollum
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

If this is the level they’ve aimed for with the Guide to Westeros, I can be truly happy. I’m a big time sucker for black-and-white illustration narratives, so this went straight to my heart.
    Also, I could listen to Michelle Fairley’s narration over and over again. It never occurred to me until now how relaxing her voice can sound.

Can’t wait for the box-set!

54. Daan
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Want!
    I am also going to buy a Blu-ray player for this. I never thought I really needed one. Guess I was wrong.

Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

lena:

I would if I could but this is the only one that HBO provided. I thought Westeros.org would have a different video with their kit, but I guess not. A bummer, as I was looking forward to watching another one.

56. Jess
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

OMG that looks so freakin’ cool!!! I wonder if the seals would ever make it to the HBO shops…

57. KG
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

That animated thing was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

58. surfKraken
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Its cool to see how much they are putting onto the DVDs(blue ray) for us fans. Pretty stoked on that.

Is Game of Thrones one of HBO’s best series?
    Like top 3? I don’t follow ratings or stuff like that. Its just HBO has so many huge series lime Sex in the City that are all-time fan shows.

59. Two Feathers
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Sokratis Alma.:

Street Date: March 6, 2012
    Order Date: January 31, 2011
    Rating: TV-MA

It does say to wait and see what hatchs on March 6th 2012.

60. GrzebykK
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Gee.
    The press-kit has done, what it was supposed to do. HBO sent it to WIC, WIC published it on WIC.net, I watched it. And now somehow my desire to buy the season 1 on Blue-Ray is some hundred times stronger than 2 minutes and 57 seconds ago. And I can see my desire is not alone.

61. trfhms
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

The HBO marketing department is astounding. I already classify myself as a rabid fan of the books and show, but they continually find ways to get me more amped up.

I actually find myself wanting to thank the people involved with this aspect of the show. Anyone know where to send a raven?

62. Two Feathers
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: The videos are described as “25 exclusive histories of the Seven Kingdoms”

Some of the other subjects covered by the “25 histories” will hopefully include, the other religions , and the backstory of Roberts rebellion. I can already imagine seeing Rhaegar and Lyanna in animated form, and the big showdown at the Ruby Ford. Tower of Joy? Damn I hope so!

63. Ed
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Awesome!! I would LOVE that!

Two Feathers: This a just a brilliant idea. And very nicely executed, judging by the one we have just seen.
    Some of the other subjects covered by the “25 histories” will hopefully include, the other religions , and the backstory of Roberts rebellion. I can already imagine seeing Rhaegar and Lyanna in animated form, and the big showdown at the Ruby Ford.Tower of Joy? Damn I hope so!

64. PatD
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

I really hope they make some of those press-kit only items available to the public.

I was going to type five different ways of describing my jealousy and your luck, but you guys totally deserve something special like that (and more). All of your hard work and dedication hugely enhanced my viewing of season one. So, enjoy the goods, and consider your dragon’s egg a Westeros Webbie!

65. Quorin halfhand
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Hey guys, seems like WIC is slacking!! HBO has a new segment on demand called “notes from belfast” which shows glimpses of brienne, melisandre, jamie, catelyn, and stannis. Check it out!!

66. Amnesia
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Quorin halfhand,

Yes! This is the one they aired Saturday night before the 8:00 movie that I posted about in another thread. Finally able to watch it in full since I caught it half way through the first time. Another nice piece, though it falls short of revealing any truly startling info…

67. Amnesia
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Quorin halfhand,

Perhaps the key takeaway here is that HBO is airing unnanounced GoT spots, and then posting them to HBO on demand but not on the GoT website. We should keep checking on demand. Not as big a deal, but GoT also features prominently in the HBO “2011 recap and looking forward to 2012″ music video montage that they have been airing (yes I made up the title).

68. Hilda
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

OMG! That is EPIC!
    I am so jealous! I love it!!!!

69. Quorin halfhand
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Amnesia,

Well we got to see brienne and she looks great!! It exceeded my expectations! Cant wait!

70. THELONEWOLF
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

HOUSE STARK THE GREATEST!!!!!! TO THE KING IN THE NORTH< will deffo be trying to get hold of the stamps and all swords seen on valerian steel

71. John W
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Changing topics the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly list Peter Dinklage as having one of the great performances of 2011.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau one of the breakout stars of 2011.

72. the goat
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Swag!

Hope we get some Sean, Jason and Richard on the narrated histories, since they’re not on the commentaries.

Also, HBO needs to start selling those wax kits, like, yesterday.

Posted December 19, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Quorin halfhand:

Not slacking at all actually. Been in communication with HBO about trying to get the video online so we can post it. It should be online tomorrow, hopefully. Glad to hear it is on On Demand now. Will send out a tweet about it. Thanks for the heads up!

74. G_Lee
    Posted December 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Oh wow, thats great. Cant wait for it!

75. Mandi
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 12:13 am | Permalink

Chris77,

Firefly should *so* be brought back.

-And the seal and stationary give me a chick-boner. :)

76. Lisa
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 4:11 am | Permalink
  77. Udi
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

Lisa,

March?!
    Isn’t it April 12th?

78. Lisa
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 4:36 am | Permalink

Udi:
    Lisa,

March?!
    Isn’t it April 12th?

Er, yes, but March is when the DVDs/BluRays come out.

79. Cricky Lyttle
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Awesome! I want a press kit!!! Very cool.

Definitely ordering the Blu ray. March will leave enough time to re-watch season one again and get ready for the awesomeness that is going to be season two.

80. Ax0r
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Slightly off topic, but I know that Amazon and HBO seem to have different pre-order incentives for GoT.
    Are there any other exclusive pre-order bonuses that have been mentioned by other retailers?
    Any word on if either or both of these bonuses will be made available to buyers from other countries (ie Australia)
    Any word if either or both of these bonuses will be made available for pay or free at some later date, so I don’t have to buy two (or more) copies?

81. darquemode
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Ax0r, Some UK retailer has a picture book included with their exclusive BD set… I forget who it is. I looked it up. Play.com. http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/-/2693/1960/-/19124409/Game-Of-Thrones-Season-1-Exclusive-Edition-Box-Set-With-Photo-Book/ProductReviews.html

I know all the clips will turn up online eventually, but likely NOT from HBO itself.

Sorry I have not heard anything about other countries…

82. the goat
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Ax0r,

American Amazon does not include any bonus discs (obviously the price is the big incentive), however, UK Amazon Blu-Ray does include a ‘Creating the Visuals’ bonus disc, and it is region free. I live in California, but I ordered from Amazon.co.uk so I could get the bonus disc, and the final price (with shipping) was 32.22 pounds, which is actually 4 or 5 dollars cheaper than the US Amazon price. As far as shipping, the free US shipping was 5-8 days, and UK shipping was 6-10 days, so I may have to wait a couple extra days. I’ve gotten some pre-orders from Amazon within a day or two of the release date though, so who knows.

83. Hippocras
    Posted December 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

I also ordered from amazon.co.uk for shipment to Canada. The total amount was 32 pounds which is much cheaper than the amazon canada price of $69 (=$68 US) and I get a bonus disc. Just have to buy a bluray player and I am all set.

84. Icebird
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 5:52 am | Permalink

I’m just a little disappointed that Sean Bean doesn’t have a commentary. But all of these special features look amazing! The detail they’ve gone into with just the 1 embedded short is stunning. I can’t wait for March!

I’ve already purchased a blu ray player with GoT in mind specifially. It’ll be worth every penny. There’s plenty of good deals on blu ray players out there for Christmas.

Maybe the 6 dragons eggs are the pre-order videos? My understanding is you unlock a video with a preorder, maybe they are all on the disk. It’d stink to miss out on some.

85. Dan Bradley
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

We received the letter a few weeks ago and the Lannister press kit, so there are more than two in circulation.

86. neknekenken
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

That is one cool press kit (feeling envious).

87. Eleanor
    Posted December 22, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

LOVE that video!

88. Chris
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Daan,

Agreed. I’m a cheapskate. I was going to get a Blu-Ray on Black Friday but then I thought, “I’m too cheap to buy any movies for it.”

Guess I was wrong!

I’d also love to get my hands on that press kit with the Direwolf. Awe. Some.

1. [...] Winter-is-Coming.net must have sold his soul to R’hllor because he’s just revcieved a special preview of Game of Thrones on DVD.  His is a Stark-themed set but there have been rumors of other houses as well!  Check out just one of 20+ videos that will be available on the Blu-Ray and DVD collections.  The set launches March 6th, 2012. [...]

2. [...] the crew around the world during production. One of the latest teases comes from HBO marketing and Winter-is-Coming.net—a short, academic video on the two major religions of Westeros. The narrators are GoT actors [...]

3. [...] oblikovane pošiljke, bilo da ste Starkovac ili Lannisterovac, najavile su izlazak DVD/Blu-Ray izdanja prve sezone početkom ožujka. Čini se [...]