Quick Hits: Dinklage a stud, Dothraki profiled and downloads a’plenty
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Press.
  • Peter Dinklage named Stud of the Year by GQ Magazine. The article is accompanied by Peter featured in some very Tyrion-like, and therefore not safe for work, photos.
  • Game of Thrones is nominated in a bunch of categories in TV.com’s Best of 2011 polls including best new series, best drama, Sean Bean as best actor, and Daenerys Targaryen as biggest badass. Voting closes on Jan 2nd, so you have a week left to vote!
  • The American Film Institute named Game of Thrones one of its top 10 TV programs of the year.
  • Thronecon, an unofficial Thrones fan convention, has rescheduled its event until March 16-18 and also added two new guests, Sophie Turner and Peter Dinklage.
  • The New York Times has a great article on David J. Peterson and his role in creating the Dothraki language. Speaking of which, if you are interested in Dothraki, be sure to check out the official Dothraki blog, run by David, and the Dothraki fan site, Learn Dothraki.
  • Postmedia News reporter Chris Lackner has a nice feature story on Game of Thrones as part of its “2011′s Entertainment Newsmakers” series. The story contains new quotes from Emilia Clarke, Maisie Williams and Charles Dance that Lackner got at a recent set visit. A good read.
  • Here’s something HBO probably isn’t thrilled to read about, but does provide further evidence of the show’s popularity. According to Torrent Freak, Game of Thrones was the second-most pirated TV show of the year with over 3 million downloads per episode. The article says that, on average, the amount of users downloading TV shows in the US has decreased and notes that most downloads now come from overseas, where people would rather torrent their favorite show than be forced to wait for it to air in their country. I’m going to guess that this is where the bulk of those 3.4 million Thrones downloads came from.

1. Elena Amici
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 8:51 am | Permalink

interesting bit about the downloads :D

also, FIRST

2. clemintine
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Re the pirating. Exactly! I don’t get it why the tv makers don’t realize that putting borders around digital content is doing them any favours. When I can stream a tv show legitimately I do. But the US networks rarely let stuff out of the US, same with British, and so I torrent. They’ve got to figure out now that media is international, that there are more people in many countries interested in their stuff, and I just don’t get restricting things on the internet at all.

3. Liesie
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Of course I downloaded the show! But that’s because otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to watch it at all, since the Netherlands didn’t buy GoT =/ And with me many others I think… So that certainly is good news regarding popularity :)

4. plehouw2
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Yes, I pirated the show, but I cannot afford to pay for the Sky subscription. I will however be buying the DVD when it comes out. Maybe if they released DVDs soon after the series finished I would wait. OR the BBC could have been bothered to buy it, instead of wasting the money on the Formula One, which nobody watches now anyway. RANT OVER.

5. clegane
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

well if they manage to sell more DVDs because of this (eg, people buy it from countries where the show hasn’t even aired) I think this is not a bad thing for HBO.

6. Lisa
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

clemintine,

This!!

And I also have to admit to downloading the show but that’s because I didn’t want to wait more than half a year for the badly dubbed German version of the series to air. But like many others I will also buy the BluRays (and I would also buy a ton of merch if they shipped to other countries besides the UK and Ireland!). And most of those who downloaded the show will likely buy the DVDs/BluRays anyway, so I think, it’s kinda good news that the show is downloaded that often!

7. userj
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Lisa,

I’m afraid that many people that downloaded GoT won’t bother to buy the show. Yes, people like us that are enormous fans will, but think about it – have you actually purchased every show that you downloaded from bittorrent? Becuase I admit that I have not. Generally I only purchase DVD’s for the shows that I’m absolutely crazy about (probably ~1/3 of shows that I download).

As for why HBO doesn’t do streaming, that would violate their agreements with cable companies and TV distributors all over the world, which brings them hundreds of millions and is actually the core of their revenue stream. I agree it’s time for premium channels to change their system to keep up with the times, but that’s a pretty big hurdle to clear.

8. surfKraken
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Those of us who have TiVo already have the whole 1rst season. But Ill still buy the BR DVDs for the goodies you can’t download. The whole dragon egg hunt has me curious.

9. Lisa
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

userj,

Well, for example, I watched True Blood online and I liked it (or well, the first season, anyway) and I bought the DVDs. But I only do that for shows that I really like. For me, watching TV series online is kind of like testing the product, seeing if I like it and if I like it, then I will also purchase it. And I have read that some people here in Germany do the same because we get TV series at least half a year later and then they are always dubbed, so many people watch series online and if they like them, they will buy it. Those who downloaded the show and didn’t like it enough to buy it on DVD, wouldn’t have bought it, if they had seen it on TV either. That’s what I think at least. And of course, there’s the extras and all that stuff that will encourage people who liked the series to buy the DVDs/BluRays.

10. Chai_latte
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink

The trivia about downloads is timely, given the controversy surrounding SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) in the US. I think people try to watch as legitimately as they can. What I (and most of you, probably) am looking for is fast, convenient and affordable access to shows we love. I’ve had a nomadic living between US and Europe these past two years, and I would never have been able to keep up with GoT if it hadn’t been for downloads.

Fascinating article on the Dothraki language, as well. It could’ve have mentioned Tolkien’s languages, too.

11. NewJeffCT
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Speaking of HBO, they are re-running A Game of Thrones season 1 this week. The first two episodes aired last night.

12. G_Lee
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

For about 2 seconds, I – not being an American – thought that there is actually a Film Institute in America called “Game of Thrones” and was wondering what the heck is going on… until I read the next word following “Game of Thrones”.
    Then I lol’d.

13. Hollyoak
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Great shots of Dinklage. He is such a cool guy. Bad Ass Stud.

14. Assunta
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Hollyoak:
    Great shots of Dinklage. He is such a cool guy. Bad Ass Stud.

Hell to the YES!

15. GogoFor
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I have HBO and the show was airing 1 day after USA in original language. Pirated nonetheless for rewatch. Will buy the DVDs, but have little use for them. I have a netbook.

Similarly, I bought ADWD in hardcover, but read the pirated version on my mobile phone. I can’t carry a dictionary size tome around all the time…

I agree with Lisa. Pirated copies >>>> real sales number in any circumstance.

16. Hilda
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

HBO GO and Time Warner FINALLY came to an agreement to have HBO GO for time warner customers. So as soon as I get access to that I will be giving my code to a few trustworthy friends. One in particular,he got me into the books but doesn’t have HBO so he would download from the internet and some of those were super crappy.

Peter Dinklage is awesome!

17. andrea
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I paid for HBO for 8 years maybe more and I´m still doing it but as GoT chapters are premiered here two or three weeks later, sometimes I watched episodes at a website here in Argentina that now has a lawsuit from HBO. And in case of other channels series the problem is that usually they premiered only the most popular shows (and often the worst) and the bests, like “Justified” for example, are dubbed in Spanish and I hate that. There´s something else that bothers me (and many others), channels tend to repeat and repeat old episodes more than once when the new ones not arrive on time for any reason. That´s incredibly boring. I would never have known of Louie CK if not for the internet because this is a show they will never release here (just like Real Time with Bill Maher, one of the reasons why I pay for HBO). But there are people who can´t pay for HBO and they watch what they like where they can. It´s fine by me. Another example: Dowton Abbey is a full season behind here so I say that TV channels must improve its programming and should stop releasing only crappy shows here.

Is Peter Dinklage nervous in that video? I would say yes.

18. emma
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I downloaded the episodes after the series finished so I could watch them at my leisure… but since it repeated on Sky Atlantic, I’ve ‘kept’ them all on the plus box. But I’m still gonna buy the DVD, for all the bonus features.

But I know a lot of people who don’t have sky Atlantic in the UK (my parents don’t) so there are a lot of folks who missed out on this epic show!

19. Squinty
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I downloaded every single episode, the same way I watch all my shows….but my family also has a subscription to HBO…so I really have a choice between watching on a TV or on the convenience of my computer while I’m in my bed….guess which one I chose?

20. Ed
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

plehouw2:
    Yes, I pirated the show, but I cannot afford to pay for the Sky subscription.

Then you don’t get to watch it. That’s how it works.

I want a Lamborghini. I can’t afford one, so I can’t have one. That’s how it works.

The “I can’t afford a subscription is a BS excuse for pirating.” I would respect “I just don’t wanna pay for it” more than that BS.

21. Coltaine777
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Ed: Then you don’t get to watch it.That’s how it works.

I want a Lamborghini.I can’t afford one, so I can’t have one.That’s how it works.

The “I can’t afford a subscription is a BS excuse for pirating.”I would respect “I just don’t wanna pay for it” more than that BS.

Can you get that car online for free ? lol

22. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

If you are a student scrounging money to eat and pay your books, college and travel expenses then, no, you simply can NOT afford it…

23. Camuska
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I downloaded the show, and will buy it as soon as available. Why? Two major reasons (FLAWS).

1. The wait. I’m not ready to wait months to have the show I’m waiting for, just because I’m not living “in the good country”.

2. The voices. I’m a big languages fan, I like to watch differents version of movies/shows I like, to compare. I SO much prefer Aragorn french voice in LOTR, for example.

But damn… AGOT french version is the WORST DUBBING EVER. I was SHOCKED when I saw it, they completely ruined everything. Catelyn have the voice of a teenager when Eddard sound like he’s going to die from boredom…

I’m not against dubbing, but I even told friends NOT to watch the show on TV and wait ’til I give them the episodes on blu-ray…

24. Dave Brownell
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I also downloaded the show, BUT i FULLY INTEND to buy the DVD/Blu-Ray as soon as it comes out!! Who knows? Maybe I’ll buy 2 or 3 copies for people’s birthdays :D

NP: Breeze Of Dawn, Death’s Angel – Secret Chiefs 3

25. Dave Brownell
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Ed,

Well contrary to your narrow-mind, some people can’t afford a 60 dollar blu-ray set… And SOME people like MYSELF can’t afford television… So what you’re telling ME and hundreds like me is that i CAN NOT watch the show if i don’t have HBO? Are you seriously that much of a supporter of capitalism that you’re even telling people that “they can’t watch a tv show because you’re too poor!” wtf? Go read a few books other than fiction, if i were you i’d start out with those books “______ for Dummies”

26. Elena Amici
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Ed: Then you don’t get to watch it.That’s how it works.

this is stupid. What’s the difference between “I can’t afford it” and “I don’t wanna pay”? If I can’t afford a car, but I want it anyway, then I steal it from somebody who has already paid for it. If I can’t afford HBO, but I want to watch GoT, then I can download it. I’m not hurting anyone this way. I could even argue that I’m not even hurting HBO, because I wasn’t going to subscribe anyway.

27. Joram van Schaik
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Yeah, we dutch folk have to torrent to watch. But I did pre-order the dvd box to make up for it. Also with Carice van Houten (dutch actress) playing Melisandre, GoT got a bit of attention in the Netherlands, so…

28. Slynt
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Loved that in the article Emilia Clarke says that “Daenerys isn’t going anywhere.” Sounds like she’s been reading ADWD.
    Oh and hell yeah I downloaded the episodes. And will buy the DVDs.

29. Elena Amici
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Slynt:

this made my day :D

also
    Elena Amici,
    i should add this:

Myself, I watch a lot of american (and British) stuff & I download it, because I hate waiting and I hate dubbing. I almost never buy the DVD because a)I really can’t afford DVDs. Here in Italy students can’t get part time jobs b)Nobody’s going to care about it anyway.. most mainstream network only care about the US viewership, as we all know.
    However, I did pay to get HBO when I was in the US and I’m definitively going to buy the DVD, because a)I really like the show and b) HBO actually cares, and a lot, about DVD sales. If my single purchase is going to mean something (although a very small something) then I really have a reason to buy the DVD

30. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

By downloading a pirated copy to watch a show you pretend that you weren’t going to subscribe to, you are directly affecting (“hurting”) the value of future productions. This is because the pirated copy enabled you to not have to subscribe. So you wouldn’t know for sure if you would have subscribed or not unless you refused to download the show.

This thread of about 10 people rationalizing their piracy is simply too little effort for the millions being ‘accountable’ for their action. No pragmatic person expects you and 3.5 million others to stop, though.

That is why they spend tons of money to educate the public that downloading is bad mmmkay, and to uphold laws that will punish both pirates distribution and downloaders. Most importantly they spend money to come up with new technologies that control distribution of digitized intellectual property; so that it can compete with piracy–ie, be more conveniently accessible to people in the way that they are being accustomed to. At this point, a figure like the 3.5 mil is only a talking point for the sale departments in software manufacturers of protected digital content distribution IMO. As in, HBO GO.

I only watch pirated shows that are really bad. Ie., that I wouldn’t watch on TV if you paid me. I do this to restore balance to the world.

On the other hand if the pirated show is good, I have to stop watching it ASAP, which is really hard to do since it’s good. However, I have mastered this Jedi trick—-I stop. Once the good show is off, I flog myself while reciting the NBC, ABC, HBO theme songs, to repent.

I started this practice directly after downloading and watching Game of Thrones. And I made a few exceptions for my favorite shows which amount to 56 of them, all excellent. Though it’s increasingly difficult to watch Gardener’s World overseas via the ‘dark channels’.

PS: Mesa going to buy the DVD so is OK.

31. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Sheena Dennison,

In the future (in about 3 hours), I hope to laugh in a non-silent way also.

Looking forward to it.

32. Nate
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Regarding the issue of piracy… It’s ridiculous to try to claim that there is some justification for it. Morally, everyone understands that acquiring a product without the consent of its owner is wrong, there is no way around that. Secondly, I think everyone here recognizes that in order for HBO to continue making the show we enjoy, that they have to see value in doing so. I have no doubts the show will be profitable, but the quality of the show is directly dependent on the budget HBO can afford for it. So if you don’t pay for the show and/or buy the DVD’s, etc then you are pretty much saying you want less special effects, cheaper sets, smaller battles, and weaker supporting actors.

So yeah piracy is bad, if understandably hard to resist. Solution? Do something extra to earn a few bucks… spend it on the show in whatever way you can. It’ll be easier on your conscience than convoluted rationalizations on how you’re not hurting anyone, and you just might help fund an even better third or fourth or fifth season.

33. Chris
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

There should be a ban on even mentioning torrents on this site. This must be the 20th time this argument has come up.

34. Lisa
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Nate,

Well, as some here have pointed out: for some of us it is literally impossible to actually spend money on the show because a) it doesn’t air in our countries (or if it does then in a ridiculously dubbed version and more than half a year after the original airing) and b) the HBO shop doesn’t ship outside of the UK and Ireland, so all the fans in continental Europe can’t buy the GoT merch because HBO won’t let us! The only way for us to spend money on the show is to buy the DVDs/BluRays and of course I want to see a product before I purchase it, so I watched the show online. And yes, I am aware that it’s illegal and not right and whatever.

35. Elena Amici
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous: By downloading a pirated copy to watch a show you pretend that you weren’t going to subscribe to, you are directly affecting (“hurting”) the value of future productions. This is because the pirated copy enabled you to not have to subscribe. So you wouldn’t know for sure if you would have subscribed or not unless you refused to download the show

Nate: Regarding the issue of piracy… It’s ridiculous to try to claim that there is some justification for it. Morally, everyone understands that acquiring a product without the consent of its owner is wrong, there is no way around that.

Epic stromboneous:

Anyway, downloading is not bad. I’m sorry, I utterly refuse to acknowledge this. To me, it’s the computer equivalent of buying fake designer clothes. I’m happy for you if you can afford to buy all the stuff you want, but I can’t and have to choose what is worth buying, and I do so by downloading it first and deciding if I would like to watch it/listen to it again.
    The day some people will understand that making their stuff accessible to many people could avoid piracy, I will be glad to stop downloading stuff.
    In my book, dowloading might be a crime, but so is paying 25 euros for a musical album, or 10 euros for a movie ticket.

36. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Camuska: Eddard sound like he’s going to die from boredom…

It sounded so in the English copy as well. Though it, the copy, was pirated and possibly the cyber privateer in a moment of inspiration messed with the audio track to replace his own voice instead of the original Sean Bean who looks (acts) completely bored and a touch embarrassed.

black of hair.
    black of hair.
    black of hair.
    Blonde.

Hmmm..

hmmm….. meh?

37. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: Well, I think I’m not “hurting” anyone, since I (not “I”. The hypotetical person who couldn’t afford it & didn’t buy HBO) wasn’t goint to subscribe in the first place, so it’s not a loss.

You were enabled to watch the show, bypassing the choice of having to subscribe or not, so you didn’t have a decision to make there. So you cannot know if you would have made the choice. Many people buy things because they think it will make them happy. After consumption they are so tired they forget and go to bed. And will do the same the next day.

In other words, it’s not your fault. If you can’t be given the choice to buy something, then the product needs to be fixed.

Edit: What I mean is:

You have the choice of buying if the alternative is to “not get it”.

If you the choice is to buy it or get it for free, it’s all up in the air, all honor system bs which does not work. The system is broken.

38. Slynt
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

This thread made me fire up “Episode 10: Fire and Blood”..man, got goosebumps at the King of the North – scene, and the last scene with Daenerys. I’ll happily cash out for the DVD, and I am pretty sure that DVD sales will be strong AND more important for HBO and the series’ future than people downloading the show. Strong enough stories tend to make people buy it anyway, hell, look at all the versions of the classic Star Wars trilogy.

39. Elena Amici
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Nate: So yeah piracy is bad, if understandably hard to resist. Solution? Do something extra to earn a few bucks

Okay, I missed this. Seriously? I know you probably meant this in a good way but… seriously? Re read it, please. It looks kinda like a lecture. So, you don’t have money to buy a DVD. Go and work more! Yeah, definitively. This sounds like you’re implying that people who download stuff because they can’t afford it don’t work hard enough. So it’s basically their fault because they are poor. If I’m short of money then surely my first priority is to find more money so I can buy DVDs. Yeah, it makes perfect sense.

Maybe I’m the only one here, but my first priority is to make more money so I can go to college. Then I’d like to buy everyday stuff which I really need. Then I’d want to keep some money so I don’t need to ask to my parents everytime I want to go out. I’d also like to save a part of this money because, you know, crisis, i don’t know if i’ll ever find a job, yadda, yadda, yadda. Stuff like music or DVDs are at the 5th place in the list. I actually don’t know if I’ll be able to get the money I need to buy the GoT DVDs in 3 months but, hey, I guess it’s my fault because I don’t work hard enough.

Epic stromboneous: You were enabled to watch the show, bypassing the choice of having to subscribe or not, so you didn’t have a decision to make there. So you cannot know if you would have made the choice.

I’m talking about people who really can’t afford something. I usually manage managed to buy the stuff I like (books, music, whatever) but I know some people who really can’t

40. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: I’m talking about people who really can’t afford something.

41. andrea
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: making their stuff accessible to many people could avoid piracy, I will be glad to stop downloading stuff.

ok! you´re right Elena, I too think they should make their stuff accesible to many people but I´m not sure if that could avoid piracy (perhaps in a small %). Anyway piracy is not something I worry about or something I feel it´s wrong, but I think maybe it’s a selfish matter because in my country there is no film industry (there is, but very small) and the national television (though very good) doesn´t produce much…then there is no people who become unemployed, and for that I do care about. I don´t know, it´s a new problem and I should think about it a little more than this I guess.

42. andrea
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous: They can afford a computer, a faster internet connection that can download for hours. Sounds like they are spending their money in places that don’t have an “honor system”…

I don´t know in other countries but here there are places call “cyber” (but we say ciber) full of people who can not afford a home computer or internet but they can pay for one or two hours to watch what they want for a laughable price.
    Find it weird using the word “honor” here with this matter… but maybe you can persuade me because I´m not sure about this yet.

Posted December 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

The Dinklage photo shoot and video are awesome.

44. dizzy_34
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Ah the old torrent debate…

all about priorities I guess. :)

45. Dk84
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I live in a country where it wasn’t released well after the season. That too on pay tv. I actually do have pay tv but not the channel they showed it on. But yeah that’s a moot point. I only started watching after the second episode but I wasn’t going to wait till who knows when to watch a show that people had highly recommended.

Besides I bought the books right after the season finished and have already pre ordered the blu rays so I’m doing what I can to support the series

46. Matt Chung
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,

That’s because a computer and an internet connection are pretty much necessities, whereas getting a subscription to cable TV is not. Honestly, are you suggesting that people should forego having a computer/internet connection for cable TV?

47. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Matt Chung: Honestly, are you suggesting that people should forego having a computer/internet connection for cable TV?

Honestly, is that what I am suggesting?

48. gammaray
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

That PD photoshoot is fantastic, and he IS a stud. Damn, he looks good in a suit!

Re: the dl debate – I’ll admit to doing it as well (another non-US person) but I feel guilty, and as with shows I’ve dl’ed in the past, I’ll buy the DVDs. Bought all the books too as I’m new to the series! However, would prefer to pay for immediate legitimate access (e.g. Pay-per-ep or series online as they’re aired) because I want to support the shows I love – and I’d still buy the DVDs for the extra features!

49. goober
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Ed,

got virgin media.not sure where i would have watched the show other than d/l’s.being bored and wanting to fill an uneventful day i got the whole thing in a morning.since then i have bought all the books and cant wait for the dvd’s,not to mention the second season.which i guess i wont be seing on virgin media.

50. Epic stromboneous
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

andrea,

It’s like when the farmer leaves his apple stand, and you take apples and leave some money there for him. It works in a small community when you depend on the farmer to keep going. It seems more powerful when your contributions evidently shape your community..

People’s contribution (even as a viewer number) matter to tv execs. Potential markets like the Netherlands not getting a product is opportunity wasted. It is up to the entertainment industry to cater to profitable markets and to compete with digital distribution in a way that will make piracy seem like a clunky outdated system. Make it happen. Or don’t.

Personally, I don’t plan on buying the DVD or subscribing to any of my favourite shows because I am a terrible person and people spit on me out of disgust, which I totally understand. And if the shows get canned because they don’t have enough viewers, I won’t care that all those actors and techies and writers are out of work. But I will never forget to pay for an apple. Because I am an honorable person.

51. userj
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Lisa: Those who downloaded the show and didn’t like it enough to buy it on DVD, wouldn’t have bought it, if they had seen it on TV either. That’s what I think at least. And of course, there’s the extras and all that stuff that will encourage people who liked the series to buy the DVDs/BluRays.

Right, but if they’d seen it on TV they would have paid for it already (HBO gets money through their cable subscription, or via the agreements with the distributors of the show in each country).

And while it might be hard to believe, there are a good number of people that downloaded GoT, liked it well enough, but never intend to buy it because it’s not one of their favorites. Further there are some that never pay for anything they Torrent, even if they love it. It’s just not the case that “most” people who illegally downloaded GoT intend to pay for it (you and I are in the minority).

Torrent essentially is a pay what you want system, which has been shown in some cases to be a viable approach. Each consumer decides whether/what amount is fair to pay and pays it by purchasing merch like DVD’s/tshirts/etc, with the vast majority of freeloaders being supported by the few that choose to pay. I think it’s possible for HBO to do a better job of tapping into this market than they currently are doing. It’s simply too easy to access the product and too difficult to prevent that access. They’d do well to change their model…

52. Elena Amici
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

well, here i am! I have a computer and & internet connection, but I can’t afford satellite tv (the reason why I got HBO last year is that I lived with people who already had basic cable and I only had to pay $15 every month for HBO)
    And I don’t think I’m the only one

andrea,

amen to this. It’s pretty much the same here

Epic stromboneous: People’s contribution (even as a viewer number) matter to tv execs…. I don’t plan on buying the DVD

well, it looks like many of us people who downloaded GoT live outside the US. People who live outside the US usually can’t get US shows & it looks like many of us would like to pay to watch GoT.. we just can’t.
    RE: DVDs. As I said, I don’t care if I download US stuff since mainstream channels only care about US viewership. For example, I’ll never buy a “How I Met Your Mother” DVD, although I really like that show, since it won’t make any difference. I WILL buy GoT DVD because HBO actually cares about DVD sales and I’d like to pay for the show. It depends on the situation, I guess – whether your purchase would make a difference, how much you like the show, how much does it cost, extra freatures included in the DVD and so on

53. Epic lovely time
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I think what’s being said here is you’re not to blame for the blatant free enjoyment of expensive entertainment. Rather, you’re actually a victim here. It seems you are in a good position to file suit against HBO for having to download episodes due to financial, legal, and objectively bad dubbing issues.

54. seny kovach
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

i come from very poor contry (basicly know of oscar and sarajevo, and recently angelina jolie) sorry for english. and there no way i watch this show then torrent. i wait every night to 4 to get torrent and watch the show (time diference) and wached with bloody eyes till morning. but i bought everey georges books from 1997 , till now, and i have collection of his short stories from 80-s so that can me save for beeing criminal, and dowload torrent, sorry HBO.

55. Patchy face
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Ok guys – tired of the torrent discussion. To completely change the subject, is anyone planning on attending ThroneCon in March and would it be worth the $?

56. Epic-itty
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Patchy face,

I’m going to ThroneCon but I can’t afford the $$, so I will sneak in.

57. Ian Haigh
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I admit I downloaded the entirety of Season 1 and will probably continue to do so for upcoming seasons. If I was in america, I would have paid for HBO just for Thrones, regardless of whatever else was on. However, being English, there is more moral uncertainty around downloading.

On the other hand, there is quite a big issue with downloading, in that it can be bad for the show itself, reducing possible ratings/income, etc. However, since Sky have already paid for the rights of all the HBO shows, I don’t see it affecting anybody but Sky. Please correct me if I’m wrong here.

Then again, I will most definitely be buying the DVD in March.

58. Steve H
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Well I’m one of the guilty streamers. It’s not something I normally do, in fact GoT is the only programme I’ve watched via streaming. For me, it was either stream or wait until the DVD was released because not only do I not have Sky Atlantic, I don’t have a TV. Not through poverty, I hasten to add, but through my unwillingness to sift through the 99% of pap to find the one to two good programmes a year I actually want to watch.

However, I chosen to support the programme and HBO in other ways, I’ve bought several items of GoT merchandise (I’m wearing my Dany T-shirt even as I type) and boxed sets of The Sopranos and The Wire and in total spent well over £200 in the HBO shop, and I’ve got the DVD of GoT on pre-order. So I don’t think HBO are losing out because of me, and that thought has eased most of the guilt I feel about pirating a programme I really want to support. But really, I wish HBO would find a way of streaming GoT or allowing a download with a limited lifespan concurrent with the airing of the programme so I can watch it without these moral dilemmas.

First post by a long time lurker, BTW. I’ve much enjoyed reading the articles and comments here over the last few months, maybe I’ll contibute a few comments in future :)

59. andrea
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,
    Right, I had already figured out why you used the word “honor”, is just that seemed a bit excessive… but ok, the apple farmer example made me laugh (I could see you with the apple in your hand looking at me like I´m stupid cow chewing concepts that I can´t understand).
    Although I understand what you say is hard for me to think about that way because I´m accustomed that people who writes, photograph or pull cables, generally don´t have jobs because there are no cinematographic industry here. So…is easier for me to be “selfish” (I prefer to use this word instead of “honor”) when it comes to large multi-million dollar television channels. Is hard for me to think about them as our victims … I momentarily forget that they employ so many people in your country. In my response to Elena I refer to the issue of job loss and it´s the only thing that really worries me.
    I pay HBO, I can afford that luxury but I can´t tell someone with such certainty that must pay for “that” apple (yes, yes I would do it if it´s a farmer´s apple, you’re right) but I still find it a little unfair when it comes to people who want to watch something and have no way to pay for it. If I think it´s just television I don´t really care about piracy, but when you think in terms of jobs is another matter. I understand. What I still can´t imagine is a TV executive worried about people´s honor (not what you said, I know, I just like that image).

60. GaR
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Interesting how the majority of people who admit to pirating the show are from outside the US, and would’ve had to wait for it (or even settle for a dubbed version) assuming it was going to be available at all, but none the anti-torrenters seem to acknowledge that.

61. Ripley
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Loved the video of Peter on GQ site. Very funny.

62. Daniel Griffin
    Posted December 27, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

The problem is, that you have to pay for more than just one channel.
    I did not have, nor wanted, cable before the show, I only got it for HBO and GOT. I now pay for an extra 200 channels that I could care less about (okay I guess BBCA and SyFy are nice to have). It would help with subscriptions if you could just pay for the fraking channels you wanted . I have purchased 7 shirts, 3 posters, and a letter opener from HBO.com, and will own it on BluRay the day it comes out (and the RPG, not the RTS). I have DVR and HBO on Demand but I want to be able to watch it from my computer like so many subscribers already can but since Time Warner doesn’t want to play nice, I cannot use HBO GO (a free service to subscribers)… so yeah I have a temp copy to tide me over. Get over it.
    Now come on March and bring me those BluRay ‘dragon eggs’! lol

63. Nate
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

@ Lisa – Understood. As I said, there are always circumstances. Spending your money on the DVD’s is a great way to support the show.

@ Elena – Piracy is going to happen, I understand that. I’m not saying there’s no excuse for piracy, I’m saying it’s wrong. Sometimes people do “bad” things. As long as you understand that what you are doing is wrong and knowingly make the choice that it’s necessary anyway… go for it. However, it’s just self-delusion to try pretending that there isn’t something wrong with the action. You wouldn’t physically take products from stores to “try” them out, so why do you think the anonymity of the internet makes it ok?

And as far as the cost of supporting the show… the DVD’s don’t come out til March. That gives anybody that wants to support the show 3 months to come up with 50 bucks to buy it from Amazon. Seriously, if a person can’t come up with 50 bucks in 3 months then I suppose any advice to them would be wasted because obviously they’ve got bigger problems.

And I’m confused about where the attitude of entitlement comes from. People seem to believe that it’s insulting to say they shouldn’t be allowed to obtain products that they can’t afford. How is that insulting? There are millions of entertaining and enjoyable experiences available in the world. Our personal happiness is not so important that we are entitled access to everything we desire. Just because I’ve never been to Disney World, doesn’t mean that I should jump the fence and sneak on the rides because Disney World owes me an enjoyable experience. HBO does not owe George Martin fans access to their show.

64. Morgan King
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 1:38 am | Permalink

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus, in case anyone from HBO is reading this, but please let me support this wonderful show by buying episodes as they air without having to spend hundreds on completely worthless cable channels. I don’t know a single person in my demographic (early 30s, urban, nerd) that even has cable, much less premium channels, and all of them have downloaded and loved GoT because, great as it is, none of them would pay Comcast $100s a month just for one show.

65. Dreamweaver
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Morgan King,

This. I would much prefer paying per episode to watch or download online instead of having to pay this much money for a channel on which I only watch one show.

66. Nyo
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 2:26 am | Permalink

67. Lisa
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 4:36 am | Permalink

userj,

I should have worded it better: What I meant was that the majority of the people who downloaded the show and liked it will buy the DVDs. And I was mostly talking about those who downloaded the show because it wasn’t available in their country and didn’t like it who aren’t a loss for HBO because there’s no way HBO could’ve gotten money from them. And if it is shown in their country and they still downloaded it rather than getting a pay-TV subscription then I’d argue that it is still not a loss for HBO because they already got their money from the resepctive pay-TV channel.

68. Elena Amici
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 5:45 am | Permalink

Ian Haigh: Firstly, paying Sky is paying Murdoch. An obvious point and a clear reason not to pay.

wow, i didn’t know this. Thanks God i don’t have Sky!
    So, now my choice would be between paying Murdoch (sky) or paying the Italian equivalent of Murdoch (cable TV). Mmmm, difficult decision. I’m almost glad I don’t have to make a choice

Nate: However, it’s just self-delusion to try pretending that there isn’t something wrong with the action. You wouldn’t physically take products from stores to “try” them out, so why do you think the anonymity of the internet makes it ok?

the problem is that I would be glad to pay for those “products” if I could :)
    Plus, as I said, piracy doesn’t really hurt HBO, because

Lisa: those who downloaded the show because it wasn’t available in their country and didn’t like it who aren’t a loss for HBO because there’s no way HBO could’ve gotten money from them. And if it is shown in their country and they still downloaded it rather than getting a pay-TV subscription then I’d argue that it is still not a loss for HBO because they already got their money from the resepctive pay-TV channel

^^amen to this.

Nate: And I’m confused about where the attitude of entitlement comes from. People seem to believe that it’s insulting to say they shouldn’t be allowed to obtain products that they can’t afford. How is that insulting?

No, my problem was
    a)comparing downloading to stealing a car. I don’t hurt anyone by downloading something that I couldn’t have bought anyway, while taking a car from somebody who already paid for it is a different thing
    b)I was kinda insulted by the whole “then go and make more money” thing. It wasn’t because of you, it just reminded me of an attitude many people have (if you can’t afford something, then it’s your fault because you don’t work hard enough) which I really dislike, because usually most people who aren’t rich would be more than glad to work.
    Anyway, sorry if I offended you. I was kinda mad yesterday :)

69. Chris77
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 5:58 am | Permalink

The simplest way to lessen the impact of downloading on the dvd-sales is to put loads of bonus materials on the discs, which they did… I did my bit of support already, having preordered the BluRay and having bought all episodes on itunes…;)

70. garyd
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 6:13 am | Permalink

personally i never illegaly download anything, i don’t believe in piracy. As soon i as i saw the advert for GOT on a new channel called sky atlantic i wanted to watch it. fortunatly i pay for a full sky subscription in the uk so i recieved the new sky channel at no extra cost, but i would have paid extra to watch GOT. I am about to buy a blu-ray player in the january sales so i can buy the GOT blu-ray disc set in march as there are extras you don’t recieve on the dvd version.

71. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Nyo: When HBO apperently doesn’t want Dutch people to watch Game of Thrones there aren’t really any options other than pirating. I’ll buy the DVDs but I’m not going to hold out on watching the show untill they go for sale.

Oh and yes, Elena Amici, io sono d’accordo con te. If this were Facebook you’d be getting a few thousand “Like”‘s from me :)

72. CrowsEye
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Piracy is a force of nature…you cant stop it. Move with the times or fail.

p.s. cant wait for the Blu-ray ;)

73. Jonathan Leard
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 7:53 am | Permalink

I just wish my carrier would get on board with HBO Go.

74. Markus Finster
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Start offering affordable high-quality streams, or even better, downloads of shows and piracy will become less of a problem.
    There is, obviously, a demand. Why that is not met with sufficient supply is beyond me. Piracy is an indication of a failure of capitalism and the free market.

Don’t tell me it’s too hard to do that – the technology has been around for several years now. Legislatively, there might be issues with copyright laws and whatnot; well, then start putting all those lobbyists you pay to condemn piracy to better use for more streamlined copyright laws in the US and the EU – the rest of the world will follow.

Posted December 28, 2011 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Jonathan Leard:
    I just wish my carrier would get on board with HBO Go.

Who is your provider? The last two major holdouts, Cablevision and Time Warner, just signed on to offer HBO Go. I don’t think there are any major carriers left that don’t offer it.

76. Hilda
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Wow,and to think I was bitching about Time Warner and HBO taking they’re sweet ass time to come to an agreement. I feel horrible for all of you in other countries who have no access to HBO.
    We Americans are pretty damn lucky with all the choices we have. Yes,i will say this..even here in america we pay way to much for cable tv. My time warner bill for internet,cable and phone is almost 200 bucks. I will hopefully be switching to ATT U-verse soon. I actually canceled alot of the movie channels I had except for HBO. I was not giving that up.

I am thrilled that I will now have access to HBO GO but it sucks that you have to be a subscriber to access it. Like I said I will be sharing my access with a friend who I owe my GoT obsession too.

Do these other countries not have access to Itunes? Doesn’t Itunes have access to new episodes in less than 24hrs?

It would be great if Amazon.com had something worked out with HBO to do streaming of GoT. as far as I know they don’t have GoT on its streaming line up.

Streaming needs to become much more accessable to everyone. Surely people would be willing to pay less than five dollers for one episode.

Oh well….march will be here before we know it!

77. Lisa
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Hilda:

I never downloaded anything from iTunes but if I understood it correctly, some stuff is only available in some countries. For example, when GoT started airing on a pay-TV channel here in Germany (in November), the German iTunes store had the episodes that just aired but you have to have a German iTunes card thingy (or whatever it’s called) to actually buy the episodes.

78. Daniel Griffin
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,
    Finally! I was about to switch providers, but this is great news!
    (some one at Time Warner said that I would get an email about this, but whatever… I have WIC :-)
    Now if only I could pay for the HBO GO service (as people do with Hulu) and not have to go through any service provider for cable. I hate paying for ‘reality’ tv, cop shows, and modern-day prime-time soap-operas (yes, Desperate Housewives this means you) which I will never watch, I’d much rather my money go directly to the networks I wish to support like HBO. Besides, it would really show true ratings, if their shows are bad, they would not have subscribers. Current rating systems are a joke.

79. Chai_latte
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

So interesting to read about everybody’s POV. On one hand, I see the point of those against piracy. Within the current legal framework and business models, piracy is stealing. But it doesn’t have to be, since business models are arbitrary. The sad thing is, it’s been going on for years, and the entertainment industry is adjusting to the market of online streaming at an excruciatingly slow pace. Downloads are kind of a protest for me. If nobody does it, nothing will change. It will continue to be demonized, when there are solutions that could make everybody happy.

Markus Finster:

This!

80. Blood
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

The sad thing is that even if they allowed you to pay for streaming individual episodes it would still be technically inferior and less convenient than torrenting the .mkv files and watching it on whatever device you use for that. I would pay for the service to support the series but wouldn’t actually use it.

81. Wilkin
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Another post about piracy:

Yep, downloaded as well – and bought all books and preordered as bluray. I’m more than curious about how sales will go in countries where it wasn’t broadcasted (like mine) – this could be interesting, as some studies claim that “pirates” buy more stuff than non-downloaders… I just can’t wait for the episodes, so if there was a streaming possibilty from HBO in my country, i would gladly draw my creditcard.

82. Kroket
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Funny to read that even the ‘natives’ can’t stand dubbed television. Seriously what are those idiots thinking ruining a show like that?? there are often interesting (English) programs on German Television which i don’t watch cause they are dubbed (eg Breaking Bad wanted to see what it was all about when Arte started airing it but it was in German… yawn no watch) Seriously why do they dub?? Nobody wants it!!

Having said that is there any word on GOT being bought in Holland. I figured with Carice in Season 2 it should have been picked up by now?! Oh well at least we have ‘good shows’ that are bought LOL… Of course i had to download the episodes (only show i download in 720p hehe) will buy either DVD or Bluray (dont actually have Bluray player but my computer plays them…) cause i want the extras but its just to insane that litteraly no one in Holland has heard of Game of Thrones…

83. andrea
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Hilda: I am thrilled that I will now have access to HBO GO but it sucks that you have to be a subscriber to access it

Well, I´m a suscriber but have no idea what HBO GO is. I didn´t heard anything, no news from both HBO and satellite TV. First time I heard about HBO Go was here.

84. andrea
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Kroket: Seriously why do they dub?? Nobody wants it!!

In Spain there is a law from the times of “Generalísimo” Franco that forces them to dub the language, if they not abolished I guess it’s because they are accustomed to that. In Italy I´m sure is the same thing. In Latin America, almost all the series are dubbed, except in Argentina where only a few are (and there are channels with only spanish programming).
    But I guess the main reason is that the dubbing provides work for many actors.

85. Kevin
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Wilkin:
    Another post about piracy:

Same here, I downloaded the show. I also purchased all of the books and I do have an HBO subscription. Downloading it was just convenient, if I missed it on TV it was the only option I had without DVR and I don’t get HBO GO with my cable provider!

86. Ed
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Maybe the best post I’ve ever read on here.

Nate:

87. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Regarding this whole piracy battle let me say this: I prefer not to indulge in piracy. As someone who has worked in the industry and appreciates the hard work that goes into creating a series or film it always nips at my conscience. I try my best to justify it. If I have access to a million channels and miss a TV show for whatever reason I will stream it if I have to and that’s a fuzzy gray area if there ever was one. My main beef with piracy in general is that people see movies and TV as just the stars and network, maybe the writers and director’s…there are hundreds of people who work on movie sets and tv shows, it is their livelihood. It’s just a little more glamorous than our mundane professions. But they are still paid and whether we like it or not piracy affects this.

88. julandro
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

How is it possible that “The Walking Dead” is 7 million viewers? Please. What someone explain it to me?

Game of thrones ¿3 million? LOL

Posted December 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

julandro:

Game of thrones ¿3 million? LOL

The Walking Dead airs on AMC which is a basic cable channel, not a premium one like HBO. They have a much larger pool of potential viewers to draw from (hundreds of millions versus 28 million for HBO).

90. jkb
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

about torrenting it’s really quite simple for me:

have an HD stream available online, no delays either, I want it streamed the very same time episode airs. until this happens i’m torrenting my shit and that’s that. i am more then willing to pay for my favourite show but i ain’t getting no freaking cable packages.

Posted December 28, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait for a new countdown clock in the New Year!

92. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I just hope we will be getting something substantial about season 2, like, SOON. To date we’ve been given crumbs :/

93. dizzy_34
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Lex: OT, but gods this whole year has been SLOW in terms of news! I can’t believe we’re less than 4 months away (almost 3 months) and still have almost nothing. On the bright side, I guess we’ll be less spoiled/fatigued than we were last year after that plethora of trailers and videos.Can’t wait for a new countdown clock in the New Year!

I’m betting we’ll see something new before the Luck premier.
    I am enjoying watching the re-runs they are playing now with back-to-back episodes a night. They play the “Cold Winds are Rising” trailer after them. I wonder what kind of numbers those are doing?
    Most imporantly concerning next year, a certain someone has scheduled to start cracking on the next book.

94. Elena Amici
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Kroket: Seriously why do they dub?? Nobody wants it!!

RE: The whole dubbing thing and Why They Do This.
    Short answer: this is what people want.
    Long answer: here EVERYTHING is dubbed, and people are so used to it that can’t enjoy a not-dubbed show. I tried to got my friends to watch shows with subs, and nobody I know wants to. They always say that subs are annoying, because reading them takes too much time and they can’t read them all and follow what’s going on. Many people also say the actors’ voices sound “ugly”. (They are used to the same 5 or 6 guys with perfect, pleasant voices being in every. single. freakin. thing. I find this really annoying and fake, but I’m the minority). Most people like dubbing, and I guess it’s because they are too lazy to read.

Anyway, this made me think about the whole Piracy!Debate. I think we’re making a big fuss for nothing, really. I can guarantee that a huge part of the people who live outside the US and enjoy american TV shows (dubbed, of course -_-”) don’t bother to download them, don’t want to know what CBS or ABC are, or that British TV is more than BBC. They always pay their cable/sky fees (mainly because they can watch football on sky/sport cable channel) and enjoy their nice, dubbed shows.

Lex: OT, but gods this whole year has been SLOW in terms of news!

This. We had like 4 teasers last year, including the AWESOME throne teaser. HBO, please!

95. Lisa
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: RE: The whole dubbing thing and Why They Do This.
    Short answer: this is what people want.

This! I have the same problem when watching DVDs with my friends, as I prefer the original with subs but my friends are so used to dubbing and hearing everything in German that they don’t want to watch something where they have to read. And I’m with you on that issue about hearing the same voices over and over again. So annoying!

96. Elena Amici
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Lisa: And I’m with you on that issue about hearing the same voices over and over again. So annoying!

Incredibly annoying! How am I supposed to take Don Draper seriously when he talks like Ash from pokemon?
    My favorite is the guy who dubbed DragonBallZ’s Vegeta. He has done a lot of stuff and actually sounds like a real person

97. julandro
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Ok, thanks for reply

By the way, I take to ask when you go to write a speculative post of second episode of “game of thrones”

Cheers!!

98. julandro
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

I mean the second season lol sorryyyy!!

Posted December 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

New sample from The Winds of Winter on George’s site! Cooooool!

100. seb
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Over here everything is is subbed, and guess what? Unlike the french, the germans, the swiss… people speak english from a young age.

101. john
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

Piracy is going to happen because HBO won’t offer the show on Itunes. It’s part of their exclusive subscription marketing scheme. HBO offering the show online would also diminish their chances of selling the show to overseas networks for loads of $$. They’ve done the calculations. I have no problems with foreigners pirating the show. As long as they buy the blu-rays/dvds when they come out.

Dubbing is awful but so is subtitles. You don’t want to read when your watching tv/movies. So I get that side of the argument too. And I know that people are used to both and don’t even think about it so they don’t understand why other people are bothered by either subs/dubs. Both solutions takes a way something from the experience. In the end I’d prefer subs. Thankfully 99% of the stuff I watch is in English so I don’t have to make that choice in the first place.

102. Hilda
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

OT: I can’t believe more of you are not creaming over the sample excerpt from TWOW! Such a tease it is!! UGH…I Want more!

HBO GO is a streaming service offered by HBO. But you have to have a subscription to HBO through a cable provider like Comcast,U-verse,ect. Just google it! I don’t know if it is being offered outside of the United States. My cable provider,Time Warner finally came to terms with HBO to carry the HBO GO service.

103. Coltaine777
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    New sample from The Winds of Winter on George’s site! Cooooool!

THX for the headsup..what a great chapter…methinks something big is gonna happen in that Godswood…very big !…

104. Patchy face
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Something huge to do with Bran maybe???!! What a great chapter & this has to be towards the BEGINNING of the book… Oh, how long will we have to wait!?

105. Coltaine777
    Posted December 28, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Patchy face:
    Coltaine777,

Something huge to do with Bran maybe???!!What a great chapter & this has to be towards the BEGINNINGof the book… Oh, how long will we have to wait!?

WOW..,good thinking Patchyface !!!…I actually had to sit and think for a few minutes what you meant, but DAMN you might be right….and yes I agree it must be near the beginning of the book…I’m having trouble keeping the Timelines in order lol…

106. DRAKULEA
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 2:25 am | Permalink

I’m very happy for Peter, he deserves it and more.
    About the piracy – I have to admit that I am paying for HBO, but due to my schedule and the late hours it was on TV, I almost never got to watch it.
    Also I have to confess that It was aired a day later in Romania so waiting 24 more hours it killed me!

107. dimensionallyt
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P: Amen! One would think that continental Europe is smack in the middle of south Pacific for all the “attention” we’re getting from big cable companies.. I live a two hour drive from Venice and Vienna, I’m not running a monastery in the bloody Himalayas..

Guffaw! That made me LOL (literally!). I am three hours away from Paris, most of Belgium, and West Germany. Hell, I could drive to London in five hours. Why is it so hard to sort out?

Posted December 29, 2011 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Coltaine777: THX for the headsup..what a great chapter…methinks something big is gonna happenin that Godswood…very big !…

Tree! Tree! Tree! Theon! Theon! Theon!

109. KG
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Ah Theon, sucks to be you.

Posted December 29, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

That chapter made Stannis seem pretty awesome. Almost like he was channeling a certain Stephen Dillane.

111. garyd
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Is there any reason that shows can not been shown universally around the globe at the same time, surely this would cut down on piracy. Reading a lot of posts on this site, one of the main reasons for piracy is people not wanting to wait 6+ months to watch a show that has just aired in a different country. I live in england and am watching the 2nd season of walking dead, it has just had a mid season break, did this happen in america? The 2nd season of Downton abbey ( not my cup of tea but it seams to be popular in america) has already been shown in the uk but will not be shown in america till tyhe new year.

112. SaryaStone
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink

We get subtitles so I have the advantage of hearing the actor’s actual voices (e.g. Iain Glen has a very nice voice), which IMO always reveal more thought and feeling than what dubbing can convey, AND reading the subtitles in case something is said so fast or unclearly that I don’t catch it. Also, even though my English is very good, it is not my native language and there can always be words that I may not understand. Having great subtitles is a plus since you get the best of both worlds. Obviously it is possible to spot out translation mistakes, too, but so far I have not noticed any in GoT (not yet anyway). Also, I get to see what terms have been used in the translated books although I’ve only read ASOIAF in English, which is also interesting.

As for piracy, I’m not that computer savvy I don’t feel like trying. Also, I’m scared of computer viruses I don’t want to take the chance. And the dvd package is not going to be horribly expensive; many spend the same amount of money on a night out partying (food, drinks, taxi home etc).

113. john
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 8:03 am | Permalink

garyd:
    Is there any reason that shows can not been shown universally around the globe at the same time, surely this would cut down on piracy. Reading a lot of posts on this site, one of the main reasons for piracy is people not wanting to wait 6+ months to watch a show that has just aired in a different country. I live in englandand am watching the 2nd season of walking dead, it has just had a mid season break, did this happen in america? The 2nd season of Downton abbey ( not my cup of tea but it seams to be popular in america) has already been shown in the uk but will not be shown in america till tyhe new year.

There are many reasons the biggest being that HBO doesn’t want to compete with foreign broadcast networks. HBO would rather sell the show to a foreign network for millions than put up their show as a stream. HBO is also a subscription based and funded cable network and want to keep it that way since that’s where the by far largest proportion of their revenue is generated. If they release the show online it would diminish the status and value of having a subscription and they don’t want that. I mean HBO are even waiting 10 months after the show is released on TV to release the blu-rays/dvds. Again because they want to maintain the exclusivity of an HBO subscription.

Within 10 years or so I think we’ll see a paradigm shift in releasing schedules however – and tv-shows will be released simultaneously all over the world sans where subtitles/dubbing is required. It just has to happen the way the internet is spreading and speeds are increasing on it.

114. Kai Alexis Price
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink

It’s class warfare, plain and simple, but when it comes to HBO, I am fortunate to be among the elite. I am also planning to get the Blu-ray set. However if I did not have HBO, including if I decided that I could not afford it, I guarantee you that I would pirate it. Piracy is just part of the cost of doing business. Media corporations could easily eliminate 99% of it by releasing their product in a timely and convenient format for a reasonable rate, but they apparently have other, more pressing concerns, and so piracy happens. There is NO loss in revenue, however, because the pirates weren’t going to buy it anyhow. And additionally, many of them do buy it after the fact. No, corporations are very good at determining their bottom line, and they have determined that encouraging piracy through their release practices allows them to take a greater profit through other logistics–and it is totally their call.

115. Kroket
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Wow awesome chapter. I expect Bran to become much better at Greenseeying than Brynden ever was. He might be able to tell Stannis/ someone else what happened to save Theon… If he choses to.

Piracy exists because of the reasons mentioned above. I never pirate games for example cause they are available. But if something is not available there is still going to be demand that’s just the way it is. People are going to watch anyway so best provide for everyone. Waiting a week at the most would be acceptable for me for it to be aired in Holland but online streaming (better yet HD-downloading) seems very much preferable. Obviously this will cost them way too much so they will never do it but it won’t stop people from downloading. LOL GOT still hasn’t been sold in the Netherlands we’d still be waiting NOW… That’s just insane…

As for the dubbing. I supposed it’s what you are used to in Holland there is no dubbing (expect for Disney movies maybe…) so we/i despise it. It’s an insult to the original… Still how difficult can it be in the days of digital television to have a show both dubbed and subbed. (Eg you can chose language and subtitles on/off!?) Would solve a lot. Voice actors would keep their jobs and people who want to watch the original could do so…

116. userj
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink

OMG that WoW chapter
    AHHHH STANNIS ISN’T DEAD AND HE IS SO KICKING BOLTON ASS – YOU GUYS I AM SO EXCITE!

117. andrea
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Lex: like he was channeling a certain Stephen Dillane.

Just what I thought.

118. Drewr15
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Regarding the pirating thing – I do think part of the problem is more people are dropping expensive cable packages and just watching shows off the internet but HBO offers no alternative to watch the show. If they would allow you to pay a monthly flat fee for HBOGO regardless if you had cable or not then I bet the piracy would drop. HBO is throwing in with the cable companies but they are starting to fade more and more and eventually things will change but until then, I expect this show will be in the high pirated range. As long as HBO thinks it is beneficial to limit their distribution it will remain that way. I just hope they realize it before it is to late. Clinging to old business models usually does not work out.

Oh and if you haven’t read the sample chapter on Martin’s site from Winds of Winter – it is great and gives you hope after the rough ending of Dance.

119. andrea
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

userj,

I don´t want to disappoint you but GRRM says that this chapter can happen simultaneously or before other chapters of ADWD. It’s a bit confusing, but the writer itself is confused with timeline (he said this in his website). I think it could be simultaneous to Mel´s visions about Jeyne going to Castle Black.

120. dizzy_34
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

That was a nice late Christmas present from GRRM. I can’t help but wonder if Stannis should have heeded Ser Justin’s advice and went to Braavos himself.

121. garyd
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

john,

Some of your point makes sense mate but hbo sold GOT to sky atlantic in the uk. why cant sky atlantic screen the show in the uk the same day that hbo screen the show in america, and also do the same with other broadcasters around europe with whoever hbo sell GOT to.

122. Patchy face
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Still think this set up may have more to do with Bran than with Stannis… As to the timeline, hopefully when the book comes out we will have more context to place events.

123. andrea
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Patchy face: Still think this set up may have more to do with Bran

Yes, it can be.The end of the chapter is obvious I think. I would have to reread Bran´s last chapters of ADWD, but still think this is a simultaneous scene ( to Dance). Probably one of those 100 pages that GRRM said he already had for AWoW.

124. Epic knows nothing
    Posted December 29, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

andrea: (I could see you with the apple in your hand looking at me like I´m stupid cow chewing concepts that I can´t understand)

Hi andrea,

I think you are right when you contrast how community matters more than another nation’s entertainment industry. I wouldn’t look at you like there’s a concept you can’t understand. Things are lost in translation, both ways. Being brought up Atheist, ‘honor system’ is something I had to learn as an adult when I saw a vile bowl begging for money on the outskirts of a small orchard while the farmer is presumably home watching an atrocious sitcom instead of tending to his base retail stand. It would be honorable in deed to donate coins for that wretched, lazy, and stupidly trusting creature. More than honorable—noble. Yes, and it is a noble thing to keep those HBO people hired. Despite what the apparently bored to death critics are saying.

125. andrea
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing: I wouldn’t look at you like there’s a concept you can’t understand. Things are lost in translation, both ways

I thought that´s what happened, but I realized a little late. I think you understand me better though. I´m glad. And I wasn´t offended, really made me laugh.
    See? I do I have to chew a little when it comes to another language and economy ;)

Epic knows nothing: I think you are right when you contrast how community matters more than another nation’s entertainment industry.

It seems unfortunate and inevitable. We´re not a fraternal world. I guess it’s easy to get confused with “entertainment” business. We forget that is not all frivolity.

126. Clob
    Posted December 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if this ever popped up anywhere on WiC and I just came across it.
    The 22nd Annual Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Faces – 2011

Emilia makes her debut on the list at #16 and our new Melisandre, Carice van Houten is #10.

Emilia
    I am not sure that TV in 2011 had a more spine-chilling moment than the conclusion of “Game of Thrones”. When Emilia Clarke emerges from the ashes in all her powerful glory, I almost exploded in an overdose of awesomeness. She was the star of that great show and I literally cannot wait to see her again in season 2. She enters the Top 100 at #16.

Carice
    After her world class performance in the great “Black Book”, we have since gone back to review her entire big screen catalog. It turns out that Carice is one of the 5 best actresses in the world today. She is literally terrific in everything she does. Her taste is impeccable. Her performances subtle and moving. We can’t find a flaw. She also happens to have one of the best twitter feeds of all time and a wonderful official website where you can find all of her titles to add to the top of your DVD queue! In her 5th year on our list, Carice cracks the Top 10 Most Beautiful Faces!

127. Mimz
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

plehouw2</strong
    people do watch formula one actually fucking sky are just greedy
    on average 600 million people watch per race it also peaked at an average of 860 million viewers per race in 2003 in the uk alone 6 million people watched the f1 broadcast on bbc also the bbc would probably get complaints due to the sexual nature of the show but Got and f1 FTW!!