It’s that time of the year. To look back and reflect on the last 12 months. What were this year’s top moments for Game of Thrones fans? For your reference, here was my list from last year. Now let’s look at my top 5 moments from this year.
5. Winter 2011 TCA – Getting to have breakfast with George R. R. Martin, having a chance to meet and personally thank David Benioff and D.B. Weiss for all their hard work, chatting with Peter Dinklage… oh, and being one of a select few who got a real good, early look at Thrones‘ first season. What an awesome way to start the year.
4. Peter Dinklage wins an Emmy – How cool was it to see Tyrion win an Emmy? I actually fist pumped when Peter’s name was called. Something many people predicated a long time ago, back when the show was just a pilot script sitting on David & Dan’s desk, actually happened.
3. The Maester’s Path – Beginning with receiving the scent box, which led to the birth of “Always Support the Bottom”, then came the weekly puzzles and the reward clips. This whole thing was so fun. And it all culminated in…
2. The WiCnet Moot – What better way to celebrate my last night of Thrones virginity (I received the screeners that day and started watching them the following night) than with a bunch of WiCnet readers? Not only did we have a bunch of super cool Thrones fans, but the Campfire team showed up with one of their famous scent boxes, as did Jim from HBO with some cool Thrones swag to give away. And to top it all off, Finn Jones, the Knight of Flowers himself, stopped by! An amazing night.
1. Watching the first episode of Game of Thrones – The moot was topped only by the first time I popped in the Thrones screener and heard the now-familiar opening theme. The next 62 minutes were pure awesomeness as I witnessed what I had been anticipating for nearly two and a half years… the Song of Ice and Fire story, come to life, on my television. The following nine episodes were just icing on the cake.
Honorable Mention: Season two gets the greenlight, San Diego Comic Con, Gwendoline Christie cast as Brienne, Season two In Production video, TitanCon, WiCnet Awards with Miltos’ and Natalia’s acceptance speeches, getting mentioned in A Dance with Dragons dedications
Winter Is Coming: So that is my admittedly somewhat personal list. Now I want to hear from you all. What were your top Thrones moments from 2011?