GRRM recaps his amazing year
By Winter Is Coming on in Books.
GRRM at GoT panel

Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images North America; Via Zimbio

Happy New Year to all our readers! George R. R. Martin recapped his amazing 2011 over at his Not A Blog. After talking Dance and recapping the accolades he and it has received, he moves on to Game of Thrones

And then there was the show. I’d been involved in television before, of course, but I’d been away for a long time, and I really had no idea how the HBO series would go. The trailers and panel at the TCA last January, the LA premiere party at HBO, the food trucks, the pedicabs, all the fabulous HBO promotion… and then the debut of the show last April, the ten week run, all the kudos it received from the entertainment press, and the TV viewers… it was an incredible ride. And the Emmys! Hot damn. Yes, we lost… (third time for me, since I’d lost twice for BEAUTY AND BEAST back when)… but Peter Dinklage won, and we were there, and the parties were amazing, and it IS an honor just be nominated, to be recognized by the industry itself as one of the five best dramas on television. And for all that, my thanks to all the good folks at HBO, to our fantastic and talented cast, and especially to Dan Weiss and David Benioff.

Oh, and for the folks who may have missed it, George also posted to his website an excerpt from the next book in the Ice & Fire saga, The Winds of Winter. (Thanks to the approximately 762 people who notified us of this.)

Winter Is Coming: Congrats to George on an amazing year! Here’s to a great 2012!

1. ASOIAF Addict
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Happy new year to George and Wic.net and thanks for this amazing site.

2. Abendstern
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Loved this chapter, so it does not reveal much. The ravens are so cool and I love the Bran storyline. I gradually begin to feel sorry for Theon, this means his chapters are getting better and better. Does anyone know where this hole Bank of Bravos storyline is getting to?

3. Hilda
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

only 762 people….. just a little excited! LOL!

4. Skipjack
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Abendstern, my theory for some time now is that the Bank of Braavos will hire the Faceless Men to kill Cersei for not paying the crown’s debt. And they happen to have someone on hand who would very much like the assignment. Meanwhile it looks like they are going to loan more money to Stannis and back him for the throne. He needs the money obviously to hire some sellswords, possibly a company we’ve seen from Dany’s chapters. I think the Bank will be a part of bringing Daenerys back to Westeros in some fashion as well, as they are the only tie between Essos and the throne. Just a couple thoughts on future books.

5. Lisa
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Skipjack,

I think that’s an interestin theory but I think that the Iron Bank won’t help Dany and her army back to Westeros because they have all the reasons to want her dragons dead. Tycho said to Jon himself that they hate dragons. I do agree about the Faceless Men plan to kill Cersei though.

6. Olisgood
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I think Bran is going to save Theon, Stanis will take him to the weirwood and just before the sword will fall on Theon’s neck, GRRM will jump from underneath the desk and Bran will do a magic trick.

7. EvilPicnic
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Congrats GRRM, after this busy and emotionally turbulent year, you deserve to put your feet up for a while and have a bit of a rest!….

…lol :p

Olisgood:

I like, but imo it is Rickon who will save Theon – Davos will return with the boy and everyone will go, ‘Huh? We thought you were all dead’, Jeyne will be unmasked, and Stannis will be so confused about whether Theon is a traitor or not, and exactly how many Starks are still knocking around, that he will just let him go in frustration.

I’ve had a whole load of sympathy for Theon this whole time- he was brainwashed by the Starks, emotionally manipulated by his father and sister and then completely fucked up by the Boltons. One of the best things about DwD for me was Theon gradually regaining his sanity, and I hope he continues down this redemptive path. But knowing GRRM things will probably just get even messier for him… :(

8. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I think it is weird that Asha would ask that he be killed under a weirwood tree…why would an ironborn even say that?

9. Athelstan
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Happy new year one and all. I’m now off to read the excerpt from the next book. Don’t worry, I won’t bother the spoiler police, I’m sure their marker pen will be working overtime!

10. Diana
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Congrats to all HBO crew and cast and GRRM of course!!

Im sure it will continue to be a succsess this year and forever!!!

11. Robbet
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Happy New Year to everyone!!
    Hoppefully it will be full of good surprises (a awesome season 2 and, please, developments on Winds of Winter)!
    Thanks, George and thank you WiC.net for the updates!!

12. Sandor Corgan
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Off-topic, but i thought i’d bring this to the attention of the all the fanboys and fangirls: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2011/Best_Television_Series

‘Thrones is joint second with Breaking Bad, with a little push from the fanbase we can grab it yet another small trophy for the already full-to-bursting cabinet.

13. Assunta
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Skipjack,

I can get on board with that theory. Perhaps Dany returns to Westeros as an incognito member of a sellsword army. Certainly, a way to get her entire army of Unsullied to the Seven Kingdoms without costing her a thing. Although I haven’t worked out the dragon part yet.

14. Elena Amici
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Lisa,

this.

Also, you’re welcome WiC. We’re always happy to make remarks when you guys aren’t quick enough ;)

PS: EDIT. Nevermind :)

Posted January 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Yes, Elena :) we WERE quick enough, though, saw it, read it … it’s just not site material since it has nothing to do with the tv series :)

16. Elena Amici
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Don’t worry, I was kidding. I know it’s not related to the show. And even if i didn’t realize this, I’ve read your (and many, many posters’) post about it.
    BTW, I found out about the chapter here, so thanks everybody for sharing the news :)

PS: I think I’m going to edit my comment above, just pretend you didn’t see it. I didn’t realize how drunk it sound until I actually saw it posted. (I still like the website anyway :D)
    Goodnight!

Posted January 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

No no no, please don’t edit :) I wrote a reply so everyone reads it, I made it explicit. I like your post. Thanks, lots of love!

18. Elena Amici
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

i like it too, but i have this weird feeling that I won’t like it tomorrow morning xD

19. Dreamlife
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Happy New Year WiC.net and GRRM. 2011 was an amazing year for fans of ASOIAF. We got the promotion for the show, the teasers and games released by HBO as we fans waited patiently for the premier, the show itself, which we can all agree was amazing, the new book, 2nd season renewal, the award nominations and ceremonies, and now we get to do it all over again in support of the 2nd season.

Since it is fresh on my mind, here’s what I love about the new chapter:

It was a fabulous idea to hold this chapter for the next book. Besides the cliffhanger of Jon’s death, we were led to believe Stannis was also killed. This chapter leads me to believe Stannis has faked his own death and forged the pink letter. The raven stuff and Iron Bank info is fascinating. Also, I love how Theon is slowly returning to his cocky self. Finally, I squealed when Bran spoke to Theon through the ravens. I’m hoping we get some more character chapters throughout the year. First and foremost, I hope to get some kind of answer about Jon’s fate. After that, I would love to check in with Sansa and Sam.

20. Olisgood
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Dreamlife,

We still don’t know whether Stanis is alive, it may be that the new chapter happens before Jon gets the letter, and it is said in the chapter that Ramsy is coming.

EvilPicnic,

Even if Davos will bring back Rickon, Stanis is still a merciless bastard and will kill him as a turncoat. only something big will save Theon now IMO. supernatural something.

21. Puzzlnut
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Totally OT – apologies! Here in Canada there’s currently an ad campaign for the Heart & Stoke association. Their punchline is “Make Death Wait”. Every time I see the ad I want them to change it to, “What do we say to Death? Not today!”

22. Lela
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Well, if Bran is trying to contact Theon via Raven, even now, what is his Theony purpose? In DWD, he spoke to Theon because he couldn’t really control who he saw or spoke to and was generally reaching out. But this ravenny business seems purposeful, like… is he tryin’ ta help the dude? does he pity Theon?

23. Jac Bergenson
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

I know Stannis wouldn’t have foreseen Jon being attacked by his men, but perhaps the whole letter was a forgery as a means of luring Jon (and consequentially a force of crows) to Winterfell and aiding him in his siege of Winterfell. He probably still thinks he needs Jon Stark as the Lord of Winterfell, too.

24. purplejilly
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 6:28 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: Elena Amici,

Me too, I thought ‘why don’t they have a post about this up right away?’ and emailed too, and it wasn’t until a day or so later that I realized it was probably because it wasn’t show related. Sometimes we forget this blog is just for the show. it all sort of intertwines..

Posted January 3, 2012 at 7:00 am | Permalink

purplejilly,

Of course … it’s understandable. We discuss it in the comments, and we tweet about it too. When a big event like publishing ADWD happens, we even write about the books – we just like to spin the discussion towards the subtopic of screen adaptation :)

26. Teco
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Should probably add something before the link saying spoiler to those of us still reading, I accidentally clicked on the link.. I thought Theon was dead… GUESS NOT.

27. kindly man
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 7:10 am | Permalink

winds of winter f-ing amazing. this gets me all pumped up for season 2 AND the new book.
    congratz to WIC-net and there amazing accomplishments.
    congratz to GRRM to his greatest accomplishment (hope he keeps up a good pace for the next installement)

28. plop_
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Teco,

So you didn’t expect to encounter a spoiler in a chapter from TWOW ? :x

29. Elena Amici
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Teco:

just asking, why did you think Theon was dead? Did you read Dance? It’s made pretty clear that (DANCE SPOILER) he’s not dead. Ramsay is the only person who could have killed him, if you believe he wrote the pink letter… but the letter says “I want my Reek back” & there’s no reason for Ramsay to write such a thing to Jon (who doesn’t even know WHO Reek is supposed to be) if Theon is dead

30. Shinyteapot
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Teco,

Please spoiler any spoilers in the comments! There may be people reading who haven’t read any of the books.

HandmaidenofDany,

Perhaps she wants to make sure he gets a quick death? She knows he’s likely to be killed and looking at the state he’s in might think it a kindness. At least that way he won’t burn. She’s also trying to get in Stannis’ good books and demonstrating she knows a bit of politics- if he goes with her suggestion he keeps the northmen, who he’s relying on at the moment, happy and has a good excuse for not burning Theon to give to the R’hllor followers. If she’s useful she won’t burn either.

31. Angela
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 9:08 am | Permalink

The show is totally amazing and deserves much recognition! I can’t wait for season 2 and we need a counter to countdown the days! At least now I can say its coming this year, not next! 4 months till greatness. I can’t wait for the Epic cinematography that everyone is talking about! My daughter and I have been fans since the late 90′s and she has grown up reading the series with me. She’s now 21 and we can’t wait for the second season opener party at our house!

32. Steve Hugh Westenra
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I wonder if Stannis had Theon write the letter (the idea that Stannis wanted it written doesn’t seem impossible to me, but there’s no way he would know to write about ‘Ramsey’s Reek’ unless Theon told him or wrote it himself). It seems reasonable that Stannis would know Theon knew Bolton better and ask him to do it.
    That said, I’m not sure what purpose Stannis would have for faking it, so I still kind of think it is from Ramsey and that it was lies on his part.

I’ll probably read this later and realize how unintelligible it is, but as I’m half asleep it shall be left for now.

33. John W
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Season 2 is right around the corner.

34. surfKraken
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Agree that this site should focus on the show primarily.

That said, I don’t check the other ASoIaf sites enough to catch goodies like this Theon chapter. I’m really glad someone here (WIC) posted about it because I was frothing as I read it. A good fix!

35. SJGIM
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

HandmaidenofDany,

There is no sea around (as if Stannis would give him that kind of burial/execution anyway), and it’s better than being burned. If you reread ADWD there is a part where she is horrified at the idea of being burned alive.

36. Chris Dobson
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Woo I was one of those 762! Great chapter!

37. Jen@House Stark
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Hell to the yeah! Thanks for the link to the new book! I’ve read it like 4 times now! Happy New Year, WIC.

38. WunWun
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

This is just my opinion, but i thought that Ramsay knows about Stannis’ sword and such from the Dreadfort’s measter, who has been informing the boltons of their actions. Also I think Asha wants Theon to be given to the old gods as she seemed horrified about the sacrifices to R’hllor. I hope Theon doesn’t die, because i really enjoyed him coming back to being Theon instead of Reek.

Also if this is a bit garbled, i’m sorry but it’s my first time posting…

39. Chris
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Since there seems to be some confusion over the chronology of the WoW sample chapter, GRRM said in his LJ post that linked to it that it does indeed take place before some of the events at the very end of DwD, therefore it can be assumed it’s before Ramsay defeats Stannis and sends his letter to Jon. Whether Stannis really was killed is still unclear, and at first I thought it could mean Theon escapes Stannis because Ramsay is still looking for his “Reek,” but it could also mean Stannis executes and gets rid of Theon before Ramsay shows up.

40. Robbet
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Just to say that the results from “tv.com’s best of 2011″ were announced and Game of Thrones won Best New Series and Best Drama Series! :D
    It is a shame that Maisie Williams (so cloose) didn’t win Favorite Kid Character, Alexis Castle isn’t even a kid -.-”. And Sean Bean should have won best dramatic actor!

41. Elena Amici
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

WunWun:

Also if this is a bit garbled, i’m sorry but it’s my first time posting…

welcome! :)

42. Lisa
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

David and Dan have been nominated for the Producers Guild Award! http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/1/3/producers-guild-award-film-nominations-announced.html

43. sjwenings
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Lisa: David and Dan have been nominated for the Producers Guild Award!

Cool! I’m sure they’re very exited to hear of this.

44. FacelessMan
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

GRRM… they know his name. : )

45. the goat
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Just so everyone’s clear about the new chapter (which I loved btw), GRRM explicitly stated in his blog post that it occurs chronologically before some of the final chapters in ADWD. So, without spoiling anything, I think its pretty clear he means it occurs before the last Jon chapter.

In other news, he also just added a great post about the various NFL fans of Westeros.
    I’m a Mormont.

46. James
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Over at TVLine.com Ausiello has spoilers for upcoming shows and one was for Game of Thrones. Someone asked
    Question: What’s going on with Game of Thrones? Any big surprises coming in Season 2? —Melinda
    Ausiello: There is what I would call a doozy of a surprise in the premiere, but the less said about that the better.
    What does that mean?!! Is it a surprise only for nonreaders or for those of us who have read the books? I can’t think of anything that surprising that happens in the beginning of Clash of Kings so I wonder if it’s something they added. And does the fact that he knows this mean he screened the premiere episode or just knows people who work for HBO who tell him this stuff?

47. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Indeed an amazing year for George and, as a result, for us fans.

As usual I’m tempted to read the chapter from the coming book but as of yet I’ve never read any of the chapters before the book is released (including when the sample was in the previous book) and I don’t think I’m going to start now. There’s plenty of wait for the books (especially the last one) and by reading some of it beforehand the climax of the wait will be slightly lower. Exercising your willpower is never wrong either. :)

48. the goat
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

James,

We’re still about 3&1/2 months out, so I’m not sure the first episode is even finished yet. At any rate, I haven’t seen anything about anyone screening it yet, so he’s probably just speaking as a book reader. Who knows though, maybe he has a friend that worked on the show.

49. Teco
    Posted January 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

I’m a little over half way through book 4, where everyone assumes Theon is dead, there is no body blah blah… #$#%@$%@$@$

50. andrea
    Posted January 4, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Iggy,

“Sorcery, sexuality and socialism make for a nasty threesome”
    This is very very funny!

“with this offensive science fiction action series”
    Well, you know, it´s fantasy, but ok, there are so many things to explain to this gentleman that I don´t know where to begin … this mistake is the least funny, after all.

I can´t believe this. It´s hilarious. Thank you.

51. andrea
    Posted January 4, 2012 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Hey, Mr Billing should be moderated! I wasn´t the one who wrote those jokes. Injustice!

52. FacelessMan
    Posted January 4, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink
  53. Thiago Slash
    Posted January 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

SJGIM:
    HandmaidenofDany,

and I think she doesn’t think Theon deserves a proper ironman burial.