Season two director breakdown and a minor casting update
By Winter Is Coming on in Casting, Speculation.

Thanks to The Rabbit doing some renewed digging, we have a new casting to report and what may be the director breakdown for the second season.

Paul KealynFirst, the casting news: according to this CV, Paul Kealyn will be playing the role of Weasel. I’m going to assume that this is the role of Weese in the books. Whether the CV is incorrect or the name of the role has changed is unclear. We know from set reports though that there is a Weese character. In the books, Weese is an understeward that is in charge of some of the servants at Harrenhal. Some further research reveals the character is in fact named Weasel and will be acting as a gaoler at Harrenhal. This looks to be Kealyn’s first television role.

The second find was this CV of actor Darren Killeen, who plays a Baratheon guard in two episodes. Of interest is the directors listed for those episodes. Assuming they are listed in respective order, then we now have enough info to piece together the director breakdown for season two. Ran at Westeros.org has done just that and provides this list:

Episode 1: Alan Taylor (confirmed to be present in Dubrovnik for episode 1 scenes)
Episode 2: Alan Taylor
Episode 3: Alik Sakharov
Episode 4: David Petrarca
Episode 5: David Petrarca
Episode 6: David Nutter
Episode 7: David Nutter
Episode 8: Alan Taylor
Episode 9: Neil Marshall
Episode 10: Alan Taylor

UPDATE 1/10/12: HBO has confirmed that this is the director lineup for season two.

Winter Is Coming: Kealyn looks like he could be a good Weese. And I like the director breakdown. To begin and end with the best season one director, Alan Taylor, is perfect. And Marshall is the perfect director for Blackwater. Looking forward to seeing what Sakharov, Petrarca and Nutter do with their episodes.

1. Liesie
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

He certainly looks nasty enough :)

2. K26dp
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I’m guessing Taylor being named director of Thor 2 will impact his availability for Season 3?

3. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

K26dp,

np we’ll replace him with Christopher Nolan.

4. David Thomas
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Why are all the Baratheon guards so hot? Oh yeah–Cersei must do the hiring.

5. The Rabbit
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I completely forget the source from which we knew that Taylor was going to direct 4 episodes in S2.

6. Nick Larter
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I’m just watching Carnivale for the first time at the moment and Petrarca’s work on that is excellent, so high hopes!

7. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

David Nutter all the way! He’s been consistent in every genre since “Ice”. That’s a classic X Files episode for those not in the know.

8. Ian
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Is there no casting news for the Reed children?

9. Coltaine777
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Thankyou Rabbit…I don’t know how you do it, but I guess rabbits are good at digging !…

10. Elena Amici
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea:
    K26dp,

np we’ll replace him with Christopher Nolan.

did you read this, HBO?

Coltaine777:

yeah, seriously, this is scary. I hope I’ll never upset you, Rabbit

11. FilliamHMuffman
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I guess the Baratheon guard is an unnamed Robar Royce, the knight who helped Brienne and Cat escape Renly’s tent and was killed by Ser Loras.

12. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Awesome find, Rabbit!

The directors are already listed for every S2 episode over at IMDB, so I assume this list is correct. It takes days or even weeks for updates to take effect on IMDB, so I don’t think this info was just added today.

13. KG
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Ian:
    Is there no casting news for the Reed children?

The Reeds both died in a tragic bog-fire. Sorry.

14. JackSparrow
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

K26dp:

I’d say that’s a good guess; he probably won’t be directing anything other than ‘Thor 2′ for a year, at least. When I heard he got that job I has happy for him, but disappointed for GoT, because I thought he was probably the best director from S1. Oh well, hopefully new talent emerges this season, and the gained experience for Dan and Dave and the rest of the crew should help make up for things like that.

15. JackSparrow
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    Awesome find, Rabbit!

I’m not sure if you’re joking, but IMDB is not a particularly reliable source for things like that. They’re decently reliable (though still sketchy) for already-released shows/movies, but I wouldn’t trust anything they have for not-yet-released material.

16. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure if you’re joking, but the list of directors on IMDB for Season 2 on each episode exactly matches this list of directors here…so I’m pretty sure it is accurate in this instance.

17. Joël Linger
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Alan Taylor is one of the best television directors around. It truly is a shame he is not around for Season 3. Maybe they can lure back Tim van Patten for an episode or two…

18. JackSparrow
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

Posted January 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

JackSparrow: They certainly might be right, but I wouldn’t use them as confirmation in instances like this.

Yeah, I usually like to wait until we get confirmation from other sources before posting anything on IMDb, since it can sometimes be incorrect. Thankfully, in this case, the fact that the lists match means we can be pretty certain this is the correct breakdown (since Ran actually had to guess a bit at his list). :)

20. Argilac the Arrogant
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

IMDB also had Gerald Butler cast as Stannis Baratheon at one point too. Not exactly the best source for confirmation, but I suspect you guys get your info from other reputable sources as well.

21. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Obviously, nothing is truly confirmed without official press release or word from HBO.

22. JackSparrow
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Argilac the Arrogant:

Yeah, not only that, but the only way this IMDB information could be considered confirmation would be the theory that it came from somebody with inside information, and not somebody just copying from Ran’s list (maybe not possible if it couldn’t be updated that quickly), and not somebody just independently coming up with the list the same way Ran did. It’s certainly possible an insider went doodling around on IMDB and made those updates, but if they did they certainly didn’t bother to update much else (that I can tell). The first episode of S2 has 37 actors/characters listed as appearing, including some unlikely ones like Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Jeyne (Oona Chaplin), Hallyne, Balon Greyjoy, Quaithe and Yara Greyjoy. The second episode only has 19 actors/characters listed, and the rest of the episodes have none. The writing credits for all of the episodes are the same, too, listing Dan & Dave as creators and GRRM as the author of the series (except episode nine also lists GRRM as the writer). If you look at the S1 eps, you see the same credits for Dan & Dave and GRRM, but then you also see additional credits for each episode for the writers of that episode. Anyway, I’m not trying to be combative, I’m just saying that I personally wouldn’t trust IMDB for things like this.

23. littlejanet
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

24. JackSparrow
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: People don’t exactly go around entering TV show directors willy nilly the way they do movie stars. Although the Gerard Butler GOT imdb entry wasn’t half as much fun as the Holly Marie Combs incident. :) I think you might’ve missed my point in this case anyway- that somebody weeks ago submitted that info to IMDB and that Ran came up with the same names independently through research, which points toward it being accurate in this case.

I see what you’re saying, I just don’t trust that this came from someone with inside information. I think the list is pretty accurate because Ran’s logic for coming up with that list is pretty sound.

25. SirenR
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Does this mean we will actually get some DIFFERENT sexual positions this season? Tres boring!

26. Epic till Friday
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

littlejanet: A gaoler named Weasel? That doesn’t sound like Weese. And how does that fit with weasel soup – Arya is supposed to be the weasel! Some of these announcements sure are making me nervous about what they’re doing to the plot…

I’m guessing the original little girl Weasel won’t be seen either.

Posted January 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

JackSparrow: I see what you’re saying, I just don’t trust that this came from someone with inside information.I think the list is pretty accurate because Ran’s logic for coming up with that list is pretty sound.

I think in this case it is probably safe to assume that it did come from an insider. Generally, production companies will have interns or assistants update this sort of info. Especially when it comes to crew members that aren’t likely to get attention or focus from fans. I think that is what Fury was implying with her comments.

The actors likely haven’t been updated by those same insiders yet because, despite the episodes having all been filmed, they have yet to be edited and so the actors appearing in each could change. That’s my guess anyway. :)

28. JackSparrow
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    The actors likely haven’t been updated by those same insiders yet because, despite the episodes having all been filmed, they have yet to be edited and so the actors appearing in each could change.That’s my guess anyway. :)

I’m not saying that can’t happen, but I didn’t notice it last season. I remember I was looking at the IMDB page for GoT with I think two episodes to go last year, and they still had Mark Addy listed as appearing in all ten episodes even though he’d already died in episode 7. It’s fixed now, but I think it’s just fans that are updating that stuff mostly.

29. Morrigan
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Nitpick: the first link is meant to be for Paul Kealyn’s CV but links to Darren Killeen instead. Probably just a copy/paste error.

I don’t know what to think of this Weasel thing, but it’s probably not the worst thing they’ll do to the plot really… I’m far more worried about this so called “foreigner” Jeyne.

30. Epic 8 minute bonus
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

This brings me back to the time I edited Ladri di biciclette on IMDB to display Hanky the Xmas Poo as Executive Producer.. . As a joke.

Regarding the directors: I’m ready to have my socks blown off. It’s not impossible; it could happen. But these names and related past work aren’t impressive *to me*.

31. the goat
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Cool.

Off topic, but just found this post that apparently Best Buy will have exclusive Stark and Targaryen Blu-Ray packaging.

Also, Sophie posted a really cute pic of her and “Lady.”

32. julandro
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I’m an ignoramus. I suppose that Alan Taylor and Neil Marshall have worked together to prepare the episode 9 right?

Episode 8: Alan Taylor
    Episode 9: Neil Marshall
    Episode 10: Alan Taylor

33. Langkard
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Epic till Friday: Yeah looks like Arya won’t be going by the name Weasel and the Soup incident gets named from the jailer.

I’m guessing the original little girl Weasel won’t be seen either.

I think you are correct. I’m guessing D&D decided that one more nickname for Arya would just be way too confusing for the general viewer who hasn’t read the books. This simplifies things and allows them to keep much of the dialogue intact as well as the soup scene.

34. Prankster
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

As I’ve said before, the House of the Undying sequence is probably the single moment I’m most looking forward to seeing on screen in the whole run of the show. I’m really hoping they do it justice; the biggest flaw of GoT so far has been its perfunctory treatment of the more horrific elements (aside from the excellent opening sequence of the pilot) and its lack of visual panache, and the House of the Undying will need both. Alan Taylor directed “Baelor”, right? That was probably the most elegantly directed episode, so that’s good, and I’m guessing that the sequence will come sometime in the last three episodes, so he’ll probably get it. Of course, getting people who directed Carnivale and The X-Files (and The Descent) means that this is probably going to be a moodier and more atmospheric season in general.

35. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Prankster,

Here’s hoping Nutter directs the House of the Undying sequence if it is included.

36. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

37. Ian
    Posted January 7, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

KG,

Whaaat, I don’t understand

38. KG
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Ian,

The season is done filming. The Reeds almost certainly aren’t included.

39. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 3:23 am | Permalink

I’m guessing the original little girl Weasel won’t be seen either.

Good I hope they leave her out. The idea of a toddler trying to survive the post hell breaking loose Westeros was the most distressing part of the book for me (yes I realise much worse happened). Also, child actors are the most difficult to wrange and work with due to work laws, so unless they are integral to the plot cut them. Still hoping we see the Reeds in S 3.

Posted January 8, 2012 at 4:59 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Just one additional piece to the IMDb puzzle: Ran had a best-guess list several weeks ago already, the CV info on 3 and 5 simply confirmed it. Could be that the IMDb source is that initial speculation.

Either way, I trust we got it right and will soon get it confirmed from HBO.

41. Ian
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 5:29 am | Permalink

KG,

Ill news, they’re important characters. I wonder how HBO plans to carry out Bran’s and Winterfell’s story without the Reeds :/

42. Anvil
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Ian:
    KG,

43. John
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 7:11 am | Permalink

When are we gonna get the name of the episodes ? I wasn’t around last year so I don’t know how it was with the season 1 episodes .

Posted January 8, 2012 at 7:27 am | Permalink

One by one at the beginning, when the HBO online schedule extended that far IIRC. Then at some point the rest leaked somewhere, somehow. Bottom line: if nothing changes from last year, we’re going to wait a deal more still.

45. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Anvil,

That’s my theory as well. I believe we will see Reek, the Tullys (Edmure, Hoster, Riverrun and hopefully the Blackfish) and maybe the Reeds in season 3.

46. the goat
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

its that time o’ year again,
    impatiently waiting the lineup,
    where will I be this time?
    when the greatest show returns

Last year it was the National and PJ Harvey, so no regrets, but who knows what awaits:

47. Elena Amici
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Anvil: There is no Reek either. So the guess is that the last part of the Winterfell storyline will be moved into season 3.

I think so :)
    Mainly because Theon who is a regular, isn’t in book 3. Also, how cool would be if the WinterFell storyline ends with Theon taking the castle?

48. the goat
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Hey Bronn, don’t you love it when people finally catch on to things we mentioned weeks ago?

49. surfKraken
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

FilliamHMuffman,

A good guess!

50. loco73
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

The list of directors looks good, as they are all HBO collaborators, with the exception of Neil Marshall whom I know for his movies. The rest of them, Sakharov, Nutter and Petrarca I’ve seen their work previously on HBO, on series from “The Wire” to “ROME”, “Band Of Brothers”, “The Pacific” etc. Some, I think, have also worked, don’t quote me on it, for Showtime and Starz.

I hope in the future they can add Tony To and Jeremy Podeswa to the mix as they are also awesome directors! If they can manage to have a “guest” director like Neil Marshall, that will be icing on the cake…

PS Any info of whether Tim Van Pathen will return to GoT?

51. the goat
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

loco73,

Since there is no future episode order from HBO at this time, I’m pretty sure that means there is no “info” on Tim Van Patten, although I imagine D&D would love to work with him again.

52. Two Feathers
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard:
    Langkard,

Arya will skip “Weasel” and go straight to “Nan/ Nymeria”, most likely. Really looking forward to the soup scene, I do hope its still in.

53. Fran Dresher
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Ur kidding right lol

54. Fran Dresher
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Also, when did this site become an IMDB discussion as opposed to a Game of Thrones discusison

55. Coltaine777
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Fran Dresher: That makes sense. I’m sure the little girl named Weasel was cut, so it may have been hard to explain why Arya would choose the name Weasel. Seems like a decent enough way to solve the problem by naming the guard Weasel (though she’ll still have to pick a fake name, they’ll know she’s a girl and she can’t say Arya), and the good news is that it means the whole Weasel soup episode hasn’t been cut. I doubt they’d name a Harrenhal guard weasel and not do the soup, and if so that would be pretty annoying.

replied to the wrong quote, but you get my drift ? lol…
    If you’ve been coming here for more than a few weeks, you should know by now this site goes off in all sorts of directions :) …and that’s why I personally love it…it’s not your typical “fan blog “…

56. John
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

loco73:
    The list of directors looks good, as they are all HBO collaborators, with the exception of Neil Marshall whom I know for his movies.The rest of them, Sakharov, Nutter and Petrarca I’ve seen their work previously on HBO, on series from “The Wire” to “ROME”, “Band Of Brothers”, “The Pacific” etc.Some, I think,have also worked, don’t quote me on it,for Showtime and Starz.

PSAny info of whether Tim Van Pathen will return to GoT?

I don’t think so . He seems to be busy with Boardwalk Empire at the moment .

57. the goat
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

John,

He’s not shooting every episode. I have no idea what his schedule is, but even with BE he may or may not be available next season, regardless of BE.

58. Delta1212
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I thought the title meant that one of the season two directors had had a mental breakdown.

59. Epic knows nothing
    Posted January 8, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

You know, having a guest director is a great idea. But if HBO can hire Buscemi or Michael Pitt, I assume they can also up the game and hire a known director.

Hiring Marshal only says to me one big question mark. I saw Dog Soilers and I was not impressed (it takes a lot of imagination to be impressed with that movie, trust me).

Marshall may make a great cable tv director some day. But right now he’s only directed two things in the last 10 years. Dog Soilers is 10 years old and no one saw it unless they really went out of their way to check out some indie B horror shit. He only directed one other full-length feature (you’ve never heard of it). Why is anyone excited about this choice? Why hire Marshal for the peak episode? Blackwater is going to be probably the most difficult episode to shoot *since they started this damned project*.

BE is apparently substantially more important than GoT to HBO; or HBO believes the audience of BE has more interest in artistry. Ie., GoT is genre so it gets a barely registered director to handle the most challenging, pivotal episode.

Then again maybe it’s not HBO’s fault; maybe it’s D&D for thinking that some things are more important than a good direction; maybe they control a lot of direction themselves.

Also, where is Daniel Minahan? He was the best director GoT Season 1. None of this makes any sense to me. I’m ready to pounce all over the writing, the cinematography, and the direction this upcoming season if it hasn’t improved since season 1.

60. Zack
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Every time I’m reminded that the guy who directed The Descent is probably going to handle the House of the Undying I squee a little. I wonder how he’ll manage the Blackwater without busting the budget too….Honestly I’m not all that familiar with the rest of the names, but if Taylor’s the guy who handled the closing episodes of last season, I’m glad he’s got such a prominent role this season as well.

Bring it on already! I want to see what these guys can do! :D

61. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

Speak for yourself. While I don’t think ‘Dog Soldiers’ is the next Citizen Kane there are many of us that look forward to what Marshall will bring to the BoB episode. My advice if you care for it: cease wondering why others don’t see things the way you do, for all opinions positive and negative should be welcomed. Just don’t question anybody’s taste because of your perspective. In my opinion the visuals and battle scenes in Centurion alone give me confidence in Marshall’s abilities.

Cue sarcastic retort….

62. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

Please ignore my last comment, I responded hastily and was unable to edit or delete my comment.

What I meant to say is this:

While I don’t think ‘Dog Soldiers’ is the next Citizen Kane there are many of us that look forward to what Marshall will bring to the BoB episode. This is mostly based on his work in The Descent where dark lighting amidst melee combat and an overall terrifying atmosphere was deftly executed. Since the majority of the BoB will be taking place at night, I can see why D and D thought he might pull the job off well.

I also wonder if the casting of Liam Cunningham had anything to do with Marshall’s involvement. Could it be because Davos plays no small part in the battle? As for Dog Soldiers I enjoyed it for what it was B movie schlock but I recommend watching the Descent before you throw Neil Marshall to the respective wolves. In my opinion he controls a tense, claustrophobic and terrifying atmosphere and shows the nitty gritty of close combat at the same time.

Combine this visual style with the epic competence he employed to Centurion in several scenes and I think Neil Marshall despite his suppposedly weak pedigree might surprise us with a great show.

Just my two cents :-)

And I agree 100% on Daniel Minahan.

63. Anvil
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing:

He directed also The Descent, Doomsday and Centurion.

64. Flouride
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing:

Obvious troll is an obvious troll.

65. John
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Flouride,

Agreed, I don’t know how this guy is still here after clearly being nothing more than a pathetic troll .

66. Peter Jørgensen
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 7:55 am | Permalink

John,

He is kind of a stable around these parts. He comments on most threads. I have gotten used to him over time. He is an aquired taste i guess, but i am actually starting to kind of enjoy his posts in a weird way, now that you know going in that he is a troll. He changes his username alot but you can always recognise him by the word “epic” in his name.

67. RitariKnight
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 7:55 am | Permalink

JackSparrow: I’m not saying that can’t happen, but I didn’t notice it last season.I remember I was looking at the IMDB page for GoT with I think two episodes to go last year, and they still had Mark Addy listed as appearing in all ten episodes even though he’d already died in episode 7.It’s fixed now, but I think it’s just fans that are updating that stuff mostly.

Yeah, IMDb is (almost) entirely fan edited, so it cannot be considered a reliable source of information. This is especially true for TV shows, while feature films tend to have more reliable info in their respective pages. Another similar site is tv.com, which, as the name implies, is solely about TV. It’s also fan edited, so it’s up to the individual show editors to make sure any fan contributions are correct. I am myself the show editor for GoT there, so I do know how it works. IMDb works pretty much the same, so any errors there come because the editor is not paying enough attention or trusts some contributors enough to not even check the validity of their contributions which then turn out to be jokes or simply false.

Unfortunately, tv.com has experienced lots of technical problems in recent months, so keeping the GoT show space at tv.com up to date has been and is still difficult. Another problem is, of course, the lack of reliable sources, which must be a problem for IMDb too. Most of the information I’ve put on has come from the actual episodes after they’ve aired. Certainly both WIC.net and Westeros have been helpful in that regard too, but e.g. most of the crew details come from the opening and end credits as they’re not published anywhere by anybody prior to the episodes airing.

68. Peter Jørgensen
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 8:18 am | Permalink

I am sure I know that guy on the photo from somewhere (Poul Kaelyn). Just can´t place him. Maybe I am confusing him with Ginas boyfriend fro “Joey”. He has that stare.

69. Epic 8 minute bonus
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Anvil: He directed also The Descent, Doomsday and Centurion.

I’ve made a huge mistake. I was looking at the IMDB list of movies he edited instead of directed. So, thanks for redirecting me; I judged him based on a smaller list of movies I had never heard of. “The Decent” has gotten good descent reviews (the others look like they didn’t break even at the box office) so at least that gives something more than Sog Doilies but still…. A totally different caliber than BE, where you get a living legend like Scorsese to guest direct.

70. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Epic 8 minute bonus,

It’s not that BE is treated better than Got by HBO. You have to remember there are several fingers in BE’s pie: First you have Marty Scorcese than you have Mark Wahlberg and Terence Winter as well, two HBO power brokers. Wahlberg alone is responsible for Entourage, How to Make it in America. With that backing of course GoT is going to be seen as getting the short shaft. But that’s what makes me appreciate GoT, it’s this scrappy upstart that surprised everyone but the fans of A Song of Ice and Fire.

As for Marshall, you should definitely watch Centurion Epic. It’s a quick, fun, sometimes poignant swords and sandal epic. Think Last of the Mohicans meets Gladiator. And there is some fantastic cinematography in the film, but I think he could have used a better editor in some parts.

Plus one can’t go wrong with Michael Fassbender, Dominic West (he has a minor role but he stands out), David Morrisey, Liam Cunningham (and early look at how awesome the Onion Knight is going to be) and the lovely yet frightening Olga Kurlyenko. It also has a great score.

71. Ed
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 9:51 am | Permalink

This just in: Apparently, the Beatles have broken up.

Ian:
    Is there no casting news for the Reed children?

72. JackSparrow
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Epic 8 minute bonus: A totally different caliber than BE, where you get a living legend like Scorsese to guest direct.

From what I remember, Scorsese was involved with BE before it was even picked up by HBO, and his name being attached to the production helped get it picked up, and then he offered to direct the first episode. It’s not like HBO went and got him. Scorsese is/was listed as an exec producer on the show, too.

73. Epic High Five
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Peter Jørgensen: He is kind of a stable around these parts.

That was the nicest way anyone has called me a troll, ever. Thank you. I’m going to print two copies out of this and share them with 1. Mum. and 2. Sharon, my psychotherapist. They both will be so proud!

74. Epic High Five
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

JackSparrow: It’s not like HBO went and got him. Scorsese is/was listed as an exec producer on the show, too.

75. JackSparrow
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Epic High Five: So, you are saying it’s D&D’s fault, not HBO. I suspected as much. I will presently send D&D a spam that makes unrealistic demands.

76. dimensionallyt
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Peter Jørgensen:

He is kind of a stable around these parts. He comments on most threads. I have gotten used to himover time. He is an aquired taste i guess, but i am actually starting to kind of enjoy his posts in a weird way, now that you know going in that he is a troll. He changes his username alot but you can always recognise him by the word “epic” in his name.

I agree, Epic amuses me. It would be different if Epic were not here saying entertaining things. Epic is easily ignored and there is much of intelligence in between the stupidity. It tends to be the newbies or infrequent readers who rise to the bait most often. The rest of us ignore, roll out eyes, or wryly smile. No real harm. This site rarely gets proper trolls.

77. Epic High Five
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

JackSparrow: Personally, I think it’s Werner Herzog’s fault, for being an eccentric. They probably wouldn’t want him to guest direct, though, cause he’d steal one of the cameras.

Granted, a thousand greasy red bean Chinese doughnuts does not make a right. I won’t hold my breath but if modern science can manufacture pork in a petri dish, there’s no good argument why D&D hasn’t invested in a test tube Frank Capra to direct some episodes.

78. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Peter Jørgensen,

I don’t even think he is a troll. Though I have called him one on several occasions. He can surprise you at times with his clarity and arguments. I just think he is generally a shit-disturber more than a troll, he clearly enjoys writing his posts. It’s evident in the writing. He also thinks he is funny and I will admit I like his assuming sense of humour, clever nicknames for certain people/not very shy about presenting something new to the board.

What grates me is that when he makes his posts it has this air of “yeah you guys are all idiots if you think that” about him. Basically an open attack on anyone if they have different sensibilities about a particular topic or idea or text that he absolutely loathes. If he had a House in Westeros the words would be “I am facetious and unimpressed.”

As much as he annoys the heck out of me, I welcome his posts. I get a bit of masochistic pleasure in responding to his barbs. Makes it fun.

Or maybe I’m just weird that way.

79. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Epic High Five,

Can you imagine If Klaus Kinski was still alive and Herzog directed an episode? Kinski would have demanded to play Tyrion Lannister despite his height and Herzog would have tried to kill him at the point when Kinski after bludgeoning NCW and drinking his blood, decided to play Jaime Lannister as well.

Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

This line of discussion just gave me an idea for a new tagline for the site..

WinterIsComing.net: Where even the trolls are intelligent and well-spoken.

81. andrea
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Epic High Five: in a test tube Frank Capra to direct some episodes.

I would love that…although it would be a strange script to him I guess.

82. Joshua Taylor
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

“Like”!

But do we have a Troll? It seems like your tagline describes the complete opposite of what a Troll aspires to be.

Only the so-called Troll knows the answer to that question.

83. Elena Amici
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    WinterIsComing.net: Where even the trolls are intelligent and well-spoken.

…because we are just this cool
    Like it! What about a “like” feature included in the new design of the site? Or, since a like button is so mainstream, what about some “love”, “hate”, “don’t care” or “WTF” buttons? I’m serious! Kind of…

84. Lorraine Thurman
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I just can’t wait for episode two. I have finished reading all the books just on the last chapter of dance with the dragons. Is there more to come. Please feed my appetite. Love it.

85. Mormegil
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Not sure if this was ever posted here before but I’ve only just seen it.

Ian McNiece as Illyrio in the pilot.

86. Lisa
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Woah, cool find! Haven’t seen this before. He definitely looks more like the Illyrio in my head!

87. The Rabbit
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Brilliant find!
    Agrred with @Lisa definitely more Illyrio than Allam.
    What a shame!

88. dizzy_34
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Nice! I would love to see the original pilot.

89. Elena
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Lisa:
    Mormegil,

IDK, he looks kinda cheesy in the pic. Or maybe it’s just the quality..

90. Lisa
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Elena: IDK, he looks kinda cheesy in the pic. Or maybe it’s just the quality..

Well, he is a cheesemonger. *incredibly lame pun*

91. Elena Amici
    Posted January 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Lisa,

lol xD

92. uno0
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Off-topic, but it was such a treat to see Iain Glen in Downton Abbey this past weekend!

93. Chai_latte
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I’ve been averaging 5 hours of sleep for the past 10 days, and read the title as “Season two director breaks down”. I thought I was gonna get some dirty gossip…

So excited for the Blackwater episode!!!

94. loco73
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Personally I think that Neil Marshall was a great choice for GoT! Given the work he was able to do on “Centurion”, whose budget is by today’s standards a fraction of what is spent on the average movie! I was mightily impressed by how he handled the battle scenes, plus he loves blood and gore and is not shy about depicting the brutality of war in all its ugliness! Given the grittiness and often bloody nature of “Game Of Thrones”, I’d rather think that Marshall is the perfect fit for this series!

When you consider how large the budget for “Gladiator” (even though it came out more than a decade ago) was, and put it side by side with “Centurion”, you’ll see that “Centurion” does not look bad at all! Plus the fact that he was smart enough to cast Michael Fassbender, who has turned out to be one of the hardest working actors in the business and also one of the best, plus McNulty himself Dominic West, plus( now our) Liam Cunningham, I for one am glad to have him working on the show!

Marshall did a way better job than McDonald did with the dreary and underwhelming “The Eagle” (previously “The Eagle Of The Ninth”), a movie which had a larger budget than “Centurion”!

I agree about David Minahan, I’d like to seem him return, but also, should another (or more) seasons be greenlit, what about McCarthy returning to “Game Of Thrones”? After all he was one of the original people who got the ball rolling on the whole project, and perhaps the person we have to thank for getting Peter Dinklage on board!

Just to conclude…I will stick to my wish at wanting Tony To and Jeremy Podeswa to become part of GoT! Such great directors… its a shame Podeswa did not get to work with Dillane on this season, they did a fabulous job on “Fugitive Pieces”!

PS Marshall managed to turn the lovely Olga Kurilenko into a ferocious beast (or she-wolf as West called her), basically a chick that could literally both f**k and bash you brains out! Good times…

95. Epic The Balls
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

loco73: what about McCarthy returning to “Game Of Thrones”?

One of my favorite genre directors is Raimi. Not only is he a directing genius with tiny budgets, but he is a genius with large budgets The most serious drama he filmed was A Perfect Plan. The best scene of A Perfect Plan was when someone shoots somebody in the kitchen and that body goes flying across the room, Evil Dead 2 style. Besides this scene, it was extremely serious drama. I think the most subtle genre director is David Cronenberg. The director I’d like to see most do genre would be Jim Jarmusch.

Posted January 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls: Yes, that is still disappointing. But if you think about the boundaries of drama in genre, it makes sense to me. In other words, it might be dramatic, but GoT drama still is rooted a meaningless conflict for power. You can’t really make real, cathartic drama from that (I don’t believe the book gets there either). Maybe GoT pushes the fantasy envelope a little bit with fuck bombs and boobs but it doesn’t make it feel natural to have a subtle director get his hands in it.

What about it being a genre show makes it any less meaningless than any other fictional television drama? Is the battle for power in Thrones any less meaningless than the battle for power in Breaking Bad or Mad Men? Those are also just fictional stories, albeit set in our own world (although not our current time in the case of the latter). The outcome of the drama in either of those series does not have any effect on our real world. What is different about them that they provide real, cathartic drama? And why is it that you consider drama in genre shows to have a limitation?

Oh, and McCarthy is not coming back. I don’t think he enjoyed working in television, as he did not have complete creative control.

97. andrea
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

To add to your list of genre directors (and screenwriters in this case too): John Sayles. He´s a singular case to me because his films are character driven but work with genre nonetheless, even with fantasy (and for what I know he doesn´t cost a fortune. Apparently he works more as screenwriter raising money to make films he likes to do).

98. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Epic The Balls,

Sorry I’m going to be THAT guy: The Raimi film (great movie BTW) was actually titled A Simple Plan.

Also you seem to take ASOIAF less seriously than most people here. You will find yourself at odds when it comes to that. For there are many of us who believe given proper direction and writing GoT can be just as compelling and poignant as Mad Men, Breaking Bad and even The Wire.

But will they tap into that potential?

99. Epic stromboneous
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

In my opinion, it’s the lack of character development missing from season 1. Liking characters is the first step in being emotionally involved with the story. Season 1 didn’t have enough time to feel up the characters. It only had enough time to say: this one is evil, this one is good, etc. This one is good…. oops now he’s evil. If you aren’t with us you are against us. Absolutes. And then the crazies.

The more complex written works in genre are less popular because genre is dominated by people who want something easy to escape with. Easy to understand like the evil empire, or fighting nazis. Or an evil little inbred prince, or zombies.

D&D keep saying in their recent interviews: “It’s about the characters.” They want GoT to be a drama, not just a medieval epic.

To me Breaking Bad is all about the characters. The character development in the writing and acting is what makes it so good. And the story is driven by choices.

100. Epic stromboneous
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Josh Atreides: The Raimi film (great movie BTW) was actually titled A Simple Plan.

Thanks for the correction. But you missed my meaning. A Simple Plan was a terrible picture, I thought, because it was directed by a genre director. It did not have drama, it only had tension. The film only became free and fluid when the violence broke out, which put Raimi at ease.

101. Epic stromboneous
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Josh Atreides: For there are many of us

I notice you often talk about the number of people making a right. Is that really a valid form of arguing your case Josh? I don’t think so. In the future please don’t bother bringing up how many people agree with you when you are trying to make a point as it makes your posts seem a bit irrelevant.

102. Epic stromboneous
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

andrea: John Sayles

Interesting. I saw Lone Star a while ago but I don’t think I have seen any of the other movies he directed. I’ll have to revisit.

103. Epic stromboneous
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: any less meaningless than the battle for power in Breaking Bad

One thing that stands for me about this is that in season 1 of Breaking Bad, most of the season was taken to describe WHY the main character makes the choice to do what he is going to do. And to describe the elements that make him choose, the story must develop the characters around him that try to control his choices and why.

I could go on but it’s too easy.

Posted January 12, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,

Ok, I see what you’re saying. To be fair though, shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men are really character studies, focused on one main character. So they can really get into what makes that character tick. Sure, there are other characters that they also explore, but the amount of characters is so much smaller. And it is also a lot about how those secondary characters relate to the main character.

Game of Thrones has such a large cast that they just aren’t going to have the time to focus on each character as much. It is just a different kind of show. Still, they do their best to include those character moments into the epic storytelling. I think they’ve done a pretty good job of it so far. And as the series goes on, hopefully they will continue to add depth to the characters.

It will never manage to give the depth of character a show like Breaking Bad has, simply because it’s scope is so much larger. But when you evaluate it based on what it is trying to be, an epic fantasy drama with interesting and flawed characters, I think it succeeds at being just as dramatic as those other shows.

105. Epic stromboneous
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: But when you evaluate it based on what it is trying to be, an epic fantasy drama with interesting and flawed characters, I think it succeeds at being just as dramatic as those other shows.

I think it might succeed at being as entertaining as other shows yes, but I will be surprised to experience a sense of drama. I am hoping the changes in season 2 will make the show more interesting for me as a reader of the books, and that the characters will seem less two dimensional.

106. andrea
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,

Well I really liked how he attempted melodrama in Lone star. Original and refreshing and the acting was great. Yes, revisit him, Passion fish is great too, if I remember correctly only has 3 actors… and a lake. Maybe he would have been ideal to work with Got´s adaptation (although too many characters).
    I understand what you mean with the lack of character development in GoT (even in then books) but being a tv show with so many characters I don´t know if it´s possible. I think the intention is there but the story is too strong. And to be honest, sometimes I prefer absolutes. May not be the stories that I realy like but they are inspiring, as children’s stories. I would have liked some of it on the show. Some good, really kind character …doesn´t have to be unreal (to be kind).
    The first thing that struck me of ASOIAF books was that idea of fantasy without absolutes and then I found (for now) it was no longer so, as if GRRM had stayed in the middle unable to decide. And GoT is and adaptation of this. Maybe they can change it in the future. Perhaps Ned was a more complex character and clearly the victim of his own decisions.
    I know, I sound contradictory but that’s what I’ve been thinking lately about this story. I take GoT as it is. It´s too big a story and production already I think.

107. andrea
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

augh, it takes me so long to write in English I end up repeating what others said.

I didn´t want to make you eco Wic, it was a coincidence

108. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,

Whether you like it or not Ser there are people myself included that love A Song of Ice and Fire/ Game of Thrones because of the characters. And I raise my eyebrows at the idea that what happens in the story is not a direct result of character decisions. I love Breaking Bad and I see no difference in the decisions that Walter makes to the decisions Catelyn makes in terms of further impacting the flow of the narrative. Personally I really don’t see this argument as necessary because it’s a like beating a dead horse when someone does not get the same feeling as me towards a text. Sometimes it’s not the form but the individual’s prejudices, biases, likes, loves and anticipation that allows them to appreciate something.

And I do use others to support my argument. I guess I just wanted to call to attention that if many educated people can see something that you clearly don’t then maybe the absolutes you throw out may be a result of your own prejudices?

I mean, are you saying we are wrong?