Ramping up to the Golden Globes
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Press.

The Golden Globes are set to begin a few hours from now. This will be Thrones last shot at a major award for the first season (one could argue that the guild awards are major too, but those awards aren’t nearly as well-known amongst the general public as the Globes and Emmys). Peter Dinklage is nominated in the Best Supporting Actor category and the show is nominated for Best Drama Series.

Emilia Clarke and GRRM pose with their AFI Award certificatesThis weekend kicks off what the industry calls “awards season” and Thrones cast and crew have been enjoying the festivities. On Friday, David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George R. R. Martin, Jason Momoa, and Emilia Clarke attended the AFI Awards Luncheon, where the American Film Institute honored the 10 best films and TV shows of 2011. Martin wrote about the event on his blog. The festivities then continued yesterday at the BAFTA Tea Party, which Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke attended. While neither will be at the Globes tonight, they should both be at HBO’s after party. More photos from the AFI Awards and BAFTA tea at our Tumblr.

Back to the Globes, in attendance will be Dinklage, Benioff, Weiss, and Martin, all hoping to hear their names called. Tim Goodman of The Hollywood Reporter thinks it should win for best drama series and Entertainment Weekly’s Ken Tucker likes Dinklage’s chances in the supporting actor race. Tune in to NBC tonight at 8 PM EST/5 PM PST to see if they are right.

Winter Is Coming: You can use this thread to discuss the red carpet (hoping to catch a glimpse of GRRM myself!) and the show itself (which should be a riot with Gervais hosting again). We will create a new post if (no, when!) Dinklage and/or Thrones wins!

UPDATE: Peter Dinklage wins for Best Supporting Actor!!!

1. surfKraken
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Go Thrones team!!

2. Astalnar
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I wish them good luck.

3. Two Feathers
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

surfKraken:
    Go Thrones team!!

This………….
    Love to be going to the HBO after party, but my invite must have gotten lost in the post..:(
    Damn!!!….. Lena looks smokin` in those photos on tumblr.!

4. The Rabbit
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Fingers crossed for Peter and everyone !

Good night for WiC-ers :)

5. the goat
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Good luck tonight! All the awards, etc, etc

Love this pic of my two flawless queens enjoying a laugh
    Fucking lame that they couldn’t all go, get your shit together HFPA!

6. Andreas Papaelias
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Not sure if it’s been posted but I’ve never seen this picture of Nicolaj CW.

Nice picture but nothing really special here. Just something to pass the time.

7. Jordan Healey
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Dinklage might win again but it’s not going to win Best Drama. After watching the series many times over the long monologues and sexposition in the style of Deadwood I feel are really detrimental to the overall feel of the show. You can really pick out the scenes that only exist to give a background character some more depth. Other shows are better at more seamlessly integrating background information and whatnot.

The Jory and Jaime one was probably the best disguised.

8. Coltaine777
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Go team GOT !!!

9. Johan Sporre
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Is George sitting with a radio now that the Giants are playing?

Best of luck to the team!

10. SG
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

I hope GOT does well at the Golden Globes, but I think the nominees were bullshit this year. Breaking Bad and Aaron Paul were totally robbed!

11. Jose
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

How awesome would it be if GRRM went up there and accepted an award for GoT?

It would be like “who is this sea captain fellow amongst all this plastic glitterati?”

12. Bro
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Fingers crossed for at least 1 win!
    p.s. Why does Emilia wear so much white?! It would be nice to see her experiment with colour…

13. Coltaine777
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

SG:
    I hope GOT does well at the Golden Globes, but I think the nominees were bullshit this year.Breaking Bad and Aaron Paul were totally robbed!
    I couldn’t agree more…breaking bad was robbed !..best show on tv IMO …

14. Dave
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey,
    If GoT can be as good as Deadwood, I would be one happy pappy. Yes, I’m one of those people that cursed HBO when they didn’t end the series. Hell, if it wasn’t for The Wire, I would be off HBO completely back then. Before True Blood, Boardwalk Empire and GoT, HBO was hoping that new shows like Big Love and John From Cincinnati would be their big hits but those shows didn’t live up, so it’s was dumb to cancel DW.

Anyway, Peter Dinklage is the best hope to win. As for best drama, Homeland is the only show that’s stopping GoT from winning best series, imo.

Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

MSNBC has live streaming of the Golden Globes Red Carpet, though it may be US only, I’m not sure.

The Blackfish… I mean, Jeremy Irons, just arrived.

16. the goat
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

E! is also running coverage, I’ve been flipping over from the game during commercials, but haven’t seen any of our guys yet. Looks like GRRM is gonna be a happy Giants fan.

17. Hollyoak
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Did you all know that Ser Jorah Mormont is in Downton Abbey season two? I’m watching right now and I thought a certain character looked familiar. I then realized with a start it was Ian Glen (is that the actor’s name?)

From what I’ve read on the forums I think some of the women here would say he cleans up quite well.

Uh, and some of the guys, too.

18. Dave
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

SG,
    That’s the same reaction I had when none of the actors in The Wire were never nominated just once all those years ago at the Globes and Emmys. ARRRGGHHH!!!

19. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I’m tumbling Golden Globe pics as soon as they turn up, so keep an eye on the WiCNet Tumblr if you enjoy red carpet photos! Benioff and Dinklage have already arrived with their wives, and there are photos available.

20. Greatjon
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Dave,

Amen, GoT being compared to Deadwood could never be a bad thing. One of the best TV shows ever.

Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Wish I had cable. Few things are as enjoyable as watching Ricky Gervais tear Hollywood a new a-hole. So awkward, so painful, so funny.

22. fevredream
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Interested to see how this goes. Dinklage has a good shot, but GoT is a real black horse here. Though really, if either GoT or Boardwalk won I would be a very happy man.

23. John
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Offtopic : Wasn’t there supposed to be a new In Location GOT video today ?

Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

John, it is supposed to hit HBO On Demand tomorrow, so most were assuming it would air tonight.

25. OhDanyBoy
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Well, there’s HBO’s first win of the night.

Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy, yeah, was rooting for Amy Poehler, but at least HBO got the win.

They had a real good shot of David Benioff and Amanda Peet earlier too!

27. Giantofstark
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:
    Well, there’s HBO’s first win of the night.

Which was? I can’t watch :(

Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Giantofstark, Laura Dern won for Enlightened.

29. OhDanyBoy
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Oh well. Dinklage carries our hopes.

30. fevredream
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Whelp, no best drama win. Alas.

Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Freakin’ Homeland, coming in late and taking all Thrones‘ accolades as best freshman show and now stealing their Golden Globe win.

32. Coltaine777
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Well deserved win for Homeland !…great series!…ok come on Peter Dinklage !

33. Sam
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

damn you, homeland

34. Hannah
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I thought I heard Dinklage already won off camera.

35. rezze23
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

That happens to fantasy

36. OhDanyBoy
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Well, GoT only gets better from here on out. If we get a third and fourth season, we’re pretty much guaranteed all the awards ever. So I’m not too distraught by the losses this year.

37. NewJeffCT
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Too bad about the series. Hopefully, Dinklage can win…

38. Thiago Slash
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

dammit. damn Homeland indeed. though Damian Lewis is a great actor. I loved Life!

39. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Damn you Homeland! I love you but now I hate you…

40. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Also…Madonna needs to decide on an accent. Just saying.

41. Clob
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

I just watched the entire Homeland season a couple weeks ago. It’s a good show and one that I look forward to continue watching. For my personal taste it’s not as good as GoT though. Outside of the bunker scene in the finale it was a rather ordinary, yet decent show. I still wish Brody would have detonated the bomb in the bunker I tend to enjoy programs that are quite different and unique. Homeland is quite similar to several things that have been done. Still, as I said, it’s a good show and I would have been wishing for a win for it if GoT wasn’t nominated.

42. Maester Tcost
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

I cannot kick about Homeland. Not one of the nominated shows was undeserving.

Masie next year, Dinklage the next.

eta: Hey, Kat McPhee was just a presenter. Everybody catch at least the first episode of _Smash_ in February, it could be something special. And kudos to her agent for getting her that high-profile exposure.

43. Thiago Slash
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

GREAT! congratulations, Dinklage! one more for the row! hahaha

44. the goat
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

HALFMAN!!! HALFMAN!!! HALFMAN!!!

45. Hollyoak
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Peter just won!!!

46. Patrick L Ellis
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Woot!

47. Coltaine777
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Yaaaaaaa Peter Dinklage …very well deserved….

48. Sam
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

HALFMAN HALFMAN

49. mimi
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

YES!!! We LOVE YOU Peter!!!!!!

50. Mormegil
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Well Done PD

Off to bed now.

51. The Dragon Demands
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Ugh. The announcer halting pronounced it as “TIE-ron LON-ister”.

Look I know we’ve had spirited debates about how to pronounce the names, but isn’t “Tyrion Lannister” kind of obvious? Maybe “Tie-rion”, maybe, but he ignored the “i” entirely. And wouldn’t most assume “Lannister” has a long-A?

Yikes.

Hopefully they’ll start paying attention to this stuff the more awards this show racks up over the next seven years.

52. Icexgodess
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

You rock, Peter! First the Giants and now you…great day for Jersey!

53. Herr Fick
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

All hail Peter Dinklage – the one and only Tyrion Lannister!

And it’s only the first season… So much to look forward to!

54. Hollyoak
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink
  55. DrNick
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

HALFMAN!!! HALFMAN!!! HALFMAN!!!

56. Coltaine777
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Just googled Martin Henderson….very sad story …

57. fevredream
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

I love that after some people getting upset about Dinklage leaving out GRRM at the Emmies;, GRRM was now the main guy he mentioned. Oh Peter.

58. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Yeah to Peter Dinklage! Next year he will be up for best actor!

59. FacelessMan
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Congrats to Dinklage!

Now all he needs is a goat, so he’ll have something to do with all the chopped off manhoods of those he’s defeated.

60. Ed
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Heh – he remembered to thank George RR Martin this time! ;-)

61. Mormegil
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink
  62. Jordan Healey
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Watching Homeland at the moment and I’m not surprised really.

Golden Globes seems to be a fairly mainstream sort of award ceremony and Homeland is the most normal show that I watch and it’s pretty good for what it is, and there haven’t been many scenes at all that are pointless. Not surprised it won. Claire Danes is fantastic in it as well, funnily enough.

I like Game of Thrones more but the first season was a bit spotty. Hoping for a nice improvement on the writing/flow of episodes in the second season.

63. Dave
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

If you or anyone else haven’t seen it, go watch Homeland, it’s really good. Shame GoT didn’t win, but still I’m happy for either GoT and Homeland to win best drama. Showtime especially needs this show, seeing as The Borgias is okay at best and Dexter jumped the shark. That’s right Dexter fans, you know it’s true.

64. john
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Way to go Peter! Awesome

65. userj
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Oh Peter, you are so akward in these kinds of things. Well basically anything where hes’ talking to strangers… just makes me squirm! :) Oh well great actors aren’t necessarily the most natural and extroverted. Wierdly often the opposite.

Still nice he thanked GRRM and good of him to mention that poor fellow actor.

66. Giantofstark
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 2:47 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    Giantofstark, Laura Dern won for Enlightened.

Thanks!!

Yay for a well deserved win for Peter. He is such a fantastic character and Peter plays him to perfection.

67. Elena Amici
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Lex:

it looks like nothing to extreme happened. I’m kinda disappointed, actually. I mean, I knew I couldn’t have hoped for more Gay!TomCruise and DeadWalking!Playboy guy jokes again, but stil…

I’m happy Michelle Williams won, I really like her, but I think The Hour should have won something. I know it’s british, but c’mon, Hollywood. It’s great. As much as I liked Downton Abbey, the Hour was better. Also, Idris Elba won. *____*

Dave: Showtime especially needs this show

showtime has the ability to screw up every show after a good beginning. Weeds. Dexter. I’m kinda scared they’re gonna ruin Shameless. And Homeland is on my list