Thrones cast and crew tease season two
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

With members of the Game of Thrones cast and crew out and about this weekend, a few impromptu interviews of them were bound to pop up. Without a doubt, the number one question asked was “What can we expect from season two?”

David Benioff was asked this question on the red carpet of the Golden Globes by MTV News.  (The video is unfortunately region blocked but the relevant quotes are in the linked article. SpoilerTV has a region-free copy of the video, hurry and watch it before Viacom takes it down!)

While Peter Dinklage teased season two (and beyond) with the following quotes via PopcornBiz:

We asked Dinklage what was in store for his “Game of Thrones” character in Season Two.

“He falls in love, which is lovely and a bit more complicated from the philanderer that wandered around season one creating chaos. He’s grown up a bit, so it’s nice.”

He then added (as a tease to George R.R. Martin fans) “Season two sticks pretty closely to book two but rumor has it book three is so big, we might break it up a bit. But that’s just hearsay.”

Lastly, Emilia Clarke also got into the game, giving us a tease on her character’s story in season two via TVLine:

Emilia Clarke described Season 2 (bowing April 1) as “bigger and better,” adding that Daenerys is “competing in a man’s world. There’s a bit more political drama for her this season, which is very, very interesting to play.”

UPDATE: Los Angeles Times has an interview with George R. R. Martin, where he expresses worry over how season two will be received now that Sean Bean is gone, relating it to how his old show Beauty and the Beast tanked after they killed off Linda Hamilton’s character.

“We’ve only had one episode after Sean’s character died and, well, we’ll find out how it affects things,” Martin said. “It was a big shock to a lot of people and it was interesting to see the response to it. It’s something I did, you know, 16 years ago when the book came out. So it wasn’t a secret, of course, but I could see the shock of it in the emails I got and on the blogs and the headlines. Time will tell how it affects the show, but hopefully the rest of the characters and their stories have become compelling to people… but I have to admit I worry about it a little after the experience with ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and Linda Hamilton.”

Winter Is Coming: So season two will be simultaneously bigger, better, bloodier, and more beautiful and with more romance and more politics. Yup, sounds about right.

Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Well summarized, Winter ;)

2. Yhamm
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Any youtube link for the video? it’s not available in “my region”

Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Yhamm, I don’t have a Youtube link, but if you click on the source link they have transcripted quotes from the video.

4. John
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I’m not from US so can anyone tell me what did David said ?

5. Thiago Slash
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

John:
    I’m not from US so can anyone tell me what did David said ?

this.

6. surfKraken
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

They are all so good and careful not to give up any juices bits.

7. Yhamm
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I should have done that, thank you ;)

8. Ashton Lee
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Unable to offer it in my region? The fucking hell?!

9. James
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Any word on when HBO will release that In Production Croatia video that was scheduled to be put on demand today?

10. Jordan Healey
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same thing they’ve been saying every time they’re interviewed.

11. John
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

Yes I finally was able to read what he said and it’s nothing really new or extraordinary , pretty much the same stuff that we knew in past interviews .

12. darquemode
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

It does seem to be the same thing in every short D&D interview right now.. Bigger, better, more locations, more romance and bigger dragons.

The cast gets to chose any 2 of those bullet points and add a personal touch like Peter saying his role is more complicated this year, or Emilia saying her role is more political. XD

13. darquemode
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

James,

The Creating the Dothraki Language video that’s onDemand right now ends 1/16 so I think maybe midnight-ish (if not before) they will remove that video and add a new video. I hope at least!

I’ve been checking every half hour or so for an update.

14. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I’ve added a Youtube Link for the blocked MTV video to the post.
    And it was yanked by Viacom pretty much immediately. Too bad about that. Spoilertv also has it up, so you can watch the video there.

15. XenkanMonk
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

The youtube is down :( Must… watch… interview. I hate regional content.

16. darquemode
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink
  17. Liesie
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Why, Youtube, must thou disappoint me?! :(

18. the goat
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

What he meant to say is, “We can’t possibly achieve the dramatic tension and character nuances as those shows about meth dealing, ad pimping, and home landing, so we just threw some shit together with unicorns…

But they hoofbang each other!”

Dan: Its absolutely faithful to the text. But with unicorns.

Dave: They do moan a lot. Unicorns are supposed to moan, right?

GRRM: What the fuck are you talking about!!?!

Dave: I…urm…

Dan: uh…er…

Amanda Peet (continues to stand there looking absolutely incredible)

GRRM: Of course they moan! Haven’t you read my Turtlesong anthology!

Dave: Y-yes. Of course, your Grace.

GRRM (meanface): Your Grace?

Dan: H-he meant to say y-your exalted worshipfulness, your exalted worshipfulness.

GRRM: Acceptable. barely.

Dave (to Access Hollywood douchebag): So then the unicorns all band together to settle their tax issues with the Bank of Bravos in order to avoid incurring any unwanted interest. And Sean Bean comes back in a dream to do the arithmetic. Its riveting stuff.

GRRM (shakes fist at passing cloud): You ruined the ending!!

Dan (raises palms in “who, me?” fashion): Here we go again.

They chase each other around the E! red carpet pavilion, which leads to several episodes worth of Benny Hill style, expensive dress ruining, hijinks. Cut. Print. Repeat.

Dinklage: No reward is worth this!

19. Liesie
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

20. Ed
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

LOL!!! Classic!

the goat:

Dinklage: No reward is worth this!

21. darquemode
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Ha! XD

I can see GRRM patting the head of a very nonplussed Dinklage right now.

22. Ours is the Fury
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Watch it before MTV blocks it too! XD

Ah, thank you!!

23. EvilPicnic
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

‘MTV.COM VIDEO CANNOT BE VIEWED OUTSIDE THE US FOR COPYRIGHT REASONS’

cockballs

[EDIT-1]

But spoilertv is working fine for me. Thanks a lot guys :)

[EDIT-2]

the goat

o.0 … Fantastic! This is what the GoT Laughs should be. Encore! [clapclapclap]

24. Thiago Slash
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Watch it before MTV blocks it too! XD

Thanks a lot ^^
    but a pity there wasn’t anything new said…

25. surfKraken
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

the goat,

What…no horn bang?

26. the goat
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

surfKraken:
    the goat,

What…no horn bang?

Stop ruining Season 3!!! GRRM will have us both killed!

Posted January 16, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Added a link and quote from this LA Times interview with George R. R. Martin.

28. More Rice Cooks
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Interesting point from Martin. I don’t think S2 has much to worry about in that regard, although as the deaths pile up in future seasons I think it will be a legitimate concern.

All of these award wins have really cemented Dinklage as the main “star” and attraction of S2 imo, which is a good thing considering he’s one of the biggest characters in the second novel. Tyrion’s situation is more…stable in S2 than S1 where he was traveling around Westeros going from mishap to mishap. I really think Dinklage is going to thrive even more in the role as Tyrion enters King’s Landing.

29. Jordan Healey
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 12:46 am | Permalink

so where’s this Behind the Scenes video?

30. darquemode
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Jordan Healey,

I just checked Comcast onDemand and they have removed the video due to end on 1/16 in the last few minutes, but no new video has been posted.

Hopefully something will show up soon….

31. Katana
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 1:38 am | Permalink

darquemode,
    Do you mean nonplussed the way Americans use (unperturbed) or the way the Brits/dictionary use it (perplexed)? Both sort of work.

32. The DarkStar
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 2:24 am | Permalink

Amanda Peet Looks great.

Good thrones shirt on teefury today.

33. darquemode
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Katana,

I meant it like perplexed more so.. Wasn;t there some short older guy on Benny Hill that always was patted on the head by Benny? It’s been so, so long since I’ve watched it I could have recalled the face he made completely wrong! XD Maybe the little old man was amused for how little I recall…

34. HouseLark
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 6:44 am | Permalink

The Sean Bean issue was always going to be tricky. He’s a star name and Ned was probably the most likable character in the series. But, I think they did a good job of building up Robb towards the end. I think they made a bit of a mistake in not emphasising Renly in the first series and maybe even departing from the book and introducing Stannis earlier – he’s one of the major players in the remainder of the series and the audience will need to be invested in him. I think that would have worked better televisually as the references to Stannis were limited and there’s no real sense of his character or his relevance to the plot.

I think it will survive but on TV you need a hero, a main character, even if they are flawed. It looks like that will be Robb this series but if I was the producers I’d give more screen time and development to Jon since we know he survives at least until book 5.

35. Liesie
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Off Topic, but I just read in the newspaper that the Netherlands (ziggo) will be adding HBO to their +package (or whatever I should call that^^) starting this february and at february 8th they’ll start broadcasting GoT season 1

FINALLY!!!! :)

36. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 7:24 am | Permalink

HouseLark,

Stannis is a role that would require decent pay for the actor so that would have strained the budget more and the cast was absolutely huge as it was. I don’t think that was all too likely to be an option.

As for main characters, Jon and Dany are both very clear protagonists so there’s one for each gender. As you say, Robb will also come into his own in this season and lots of people are interested in following Tyrion. I think the show has everything it needs, except for a new Ned but there’s no such thing in the story.

Posted January 17, 2012 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Liesie,

Great! Bedankt. Adding the airdate to our list. Finally, may I add :P Greece is premiering Thrones on January 21 (Nova Cinema).

38. Liesie
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Graag gedaan!!! :)

39. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard,

Davos is the new Ned. Liam Cunningham all the way.

40. Epic pinafores
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

The DarkStar: Good thrones shirt on teefury today.

This may be the one Game of Thrones shirt I will ever buy.

41. darquemode
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Josh Atreides,

He may not have the facetime in the books, but he is very much in the Ned mold!

If they expand his story (even just for storyline continuity for ‘deleted scenes’ or non-POV scenes) he could be a much larger part of the TV series. The best part is tha Liam Cunnigham has the chops to pull off that role too!

42. Epic pinafores
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

darquemode: The best part is tha Liam Cunnigham has the chops to pull off that role too!

Perhaps the second best part is, because he’s not as famous as Sean Bean, the camera will not unnecessarily linger on an inert visage.

43. darquemode
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I posted the “Catch Up on the Phenomenon” trailer in glorious 1080p.

Nothing new but for those that missed it first time around or just want to relive waiting for a weekly fix of Thrones goodness… Starting January 26 at 10pm Season 1 replays.

44. Ben Watson
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Random post: cool t-shirt, today only (10 hours from this post)…

If you click the link and it isn’t a GoT shirt don’t be confused… you just missed the window of opportunity.

45. tati
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Use this link for the region-free version, mentioned in the first paragraph above:

46. Baramos
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

If Dinklage isn’t enough to get people to come back by himself then they might as well pull the cord on the corpse of American media because apparently we’re about out of good shows (besides Breaking Bad and Homeland, I suppose). I mean, Tyrion plays an even bigger role in Season 2 and it seems like he is more than popular enough to get people back to watch even if they didn’t like all the other entertaining characters.

47. Baramos
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard,

There’s plenty of main characters. All those you mentioned, plus Arya and Davos, off the top of my head…I think all those plotlines are more than entertaining enough to keep people watching. Well, Davos is a little more minor, but Arya gets up to some crazy stuff that I can’t wait to watch. A LOT of it happens in Season 2 if you remember, Season 3 is more about hanging out with the Brotherhood and the Hound., but there’s all the stuff with Harrenhal and Jaqhin.

48. Baramos
    Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

HouseLark,

I think Davos is going to be a bigger draw than Stannis by far in that particular plotline. Stannis is pretty a major character but the POV characters are the ones that people get invested in.

49. Obosi
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

I had not read the books when I watched season one and was pretty shocked that Khal Drogo got killed off. I really liked Ned Stark too but that was not a surprise – Sean Bean dies in almost everything! (except Sharpe!)

However, I’ve since ploughed through the first four books and have to say…don’t miss either of those two that much now.