Quick Hits: Interviews and a whole bunch of other stuff
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Merchandise, Press.
  • Lena Headey was interviewed by MTV News while at HBO’s Post Golden Globes party where she teased her character’s storyline and season two and talks about working with Peter Dinklage. Spoiler TV has a region-free version of the video.
  • Maisie Williams was interviewed by myFanbase about her work on season one of Game of Thrones and talks a bit about season two as well.
  • The Los Angeles Times caught up with George R. R. Martin while he was in town for the Golden Globes, resulting in two separate interviews, one interview can be found at the LA Times Books blog and the other at Hero Complex.
  • A couple of well-known writers/producers have professed their love of Thrones in recent interviews: Steven DeKnight, showrunner of Spartacus, and Rick McCallum, the executive producer of Star Wars.
  • HBO has provided us with a list of international retailers that will be offering the alternate DVD/Blu-Ray packaging.
  • Fans of the books and show may find a new smartphone app useful. It’s called Westeros Map and, as you might expect given the name, features an interactive map of the Seven Kingdoms. It’s available on iTunes, Android Market and Amazon Appstore.
  • Pearson Moore’s Game of Thrones Season One Essays is now available for free to Amazon Prime members. A good read, for those interested in deeper analyzation into some of the themes of the books and show.
  • The Croatian TV series site Serijala.com has published an interview with Embassy Films, the company that took care of the local side of filming in Dubrovnik. No spectacular revelations, some of the main points follow, offered courtesy of Hear Me Roar: everyone was happy on all sides, and the shoot proceeded smoothly. This was the biggest foreign production in Croatia in the past 20 years. They had 11-hour shooting days, on average. As things stand now, HBO is surely coming back to Croatia. For more, either learn Croatian or trust Google to translate it for you.
  • Incidentally, Croatia voted yes on joining the EU and should be able to enter the Union in about 18 months once the ratification process is completed. This should make it an even more attractive country to shoot in, since several procedures will be simplified when you operate within a common market for goods, services, and workforce. Iceland is negotiating and considering the accession to the EU as well.
  • UPDATE: Thanks to Noone for reminding us – there is a German article on creating the Dothraki language (Google translation); the show is soon to start its run on RTL 2 over there.
  • The question that seems to be on everyone’s mind these days is ‘when we can expect the next season two trailer?’ I don’t know for sure, but I would say this Sunday is a good bet, as it is the series premiere of David Milch’s new show Luck. We will, of course, let everyone know the second we get any official word!

1. Thiago Slash
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

nice interviews ^^

and come, Sunday, come!

2. Non-reader Nathan
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Cersei “goes to war with Tyrion”? I like the sound of that!

3. TS
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

You botched the LAT link.

4. EvilPicnic
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

… ‘HMV will offer the Stark sleeve’

no Targ? … :(

Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

TS, it’s fixed now. Thanks!

6. Robbet
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for keeping us posted!! Can’t wait for Sunday! :)

7. Flouride
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

That’s kinda low amount of retailers on that list :(

8. The Rabbit
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I wonder why some official stills from S2 have not been released by now ?
    (except from the glimpse at EW)
    We got them plenty last year way before the show started.

p.s. saw that article at serijala.com – it seems that the production company is pretty unwilling to give some more interesting info. Obviously HBO disciplined them well ;)
    Good thing to hear they are pretty confident on HBO returning to Dubrovnik for S3.
    Me like!

9. Skipjack
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

What’s Lena talking about when she talks about dealing with loss for Cersei? I’m a book reader and it’s been a while since I read Clash of Kings, but (speculative spoilers follow) I don’t remember her misplaying her hand just yet. I’m actually concerned that the show will off Joffrey in S2, which would account for the character that dies early which we’ve been promised. I really don’t want that to happen, because it would seriously downgrade the Tyrells as players. But Lena seems to be talking about grief, at least to me

Anyway, if someone wants to clear that up for me, or just has a theory, please let me know, you won’t be spoiling anything for me.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

For now it looks like Bol.com will only offer Targ. But they are not fully up to date yet, we’ll know closer to March.

11. Shinyteapot
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Skipjack: What’s Lena talking about when she talks about dealing with loss for Cersei?

Perhaps she means Cersei not having her favourite brother around, as he’s currently a captive?

12. Josh Atreides
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Didn’t CVH tweet a picture of the soundboard that she used for recording her voice for a Jan 29 teaser?

13. Clever Clayton
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Skipjack,

Could be referring to losing Myrcella, who is sent to Dorne in Book 2.

14. The Rabbit
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Josh Atreides,

I am not so sure. I thought it was regular ADR session for the whole season.

15. Blueberry2
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Must…have….trailer…

16. darquemode
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Skipjack,

I wondered the same thing honestly.

After some thought I think she could be referrring to Jaime being held by the Starks. He is her “favorite” brother and all that seems to go with that in the Lannister family! XD

So I think the “loss” she refers to is not a death, but her brother being held in captivity

Not sure any of that needs spoiler tags since it all happened at the end of last season, but just in case…..

17. darquemode
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

Exactly what I was thinking but somehow I managed to not read your post until I posted mine! XD Ooops.

18. Epic lovely time
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Losing her mind?

She looks pretty batty to me in s1. I’m afraid of how much worse it can get.

19. Elena Amici
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Epic lovely time:
    Losing her mind?

She looks pretty batty to me in s1. I’m afraid of how much worse it can get.

have you read the books? I tought you did.. anyway, check FEAST if you really want to know :)

20. andrea
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Epic lovely time,

not that batty … I think she did too much psychoanalysis in season 1.

21. rorschach-
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

The trailer is coming. I feel in it the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air.

22. darquemode
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

rorschach-,

I think I will be watching tomorrow night when HBO starts its rerun of Season 1 leading up to the Season 2 premiere.

If they are going to air any new videos before the Luck premiere Sunday, I would guess this Thursday is the time. If not, I hope this Sunday!

23. Rimshot
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Hi, sorry for going off topic but I really need your help.

Voting has opened for the Hard Rock Rising Battle of the Bands and my band, ‘The Nameless’, are competing in the Edinburgh, Scotland group. But being from Northern Ireland we’re finding it tougher to get votes as only Scottish people can vote.

We need votes from Scotland! If you are from Scotland can you please take a few seconds and download our song? Thanks…

It’s simple. Just ‘like’ the Hard Rock Cafe Edinburgh page then download our song ‘The Sun Is Shining’ (The Nameless) which is free and a great song! A few seconds of your time will help us out a lot!

Here’s a direct link. Just ‘like’ & download…

If you’re not Scottish but you know someone who is, would you please send them this message?

This will be a huge help to us. Thanks

24. Dan M
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

It’s to be expected that there are not as many promo stills or trailers for season 2 as there were for season 1.

For season 1, they were hyping a new series and pushing it hard. Coming up on season 2, the series is a hit. Everyone’s talking about it. Entertainment reporters are chomping at the bit to get a quick interview with the stars.

They’re getting enough free press that they really don’t need to invest as much into promoting the series as they did last year.

25. Andrew
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Apparently, while filming on the island of Lokrum the HBO film crew cleared out 7 boatloads of trash and stuff that the tourists left in the old, abandoned, Benedictine monastery and left the place in a far better condition then it was originally found.
    It would also seem that they were considering leaving a few pieces of the set to serve as a tourist attraction but decided to remove everything. I am happy to see they’re behaving respectfully towards our cultural heritage.
    You guys are awesome, many thanks and do come back this year!

BTW with regards to the EU, there are no more requirements for Croatia to fulfil, all the negotiating chapters have been closed. Those 18 months are there so that the member countries of the EU can ratify in their parliaments/hold referendums on whether they accept Croatia as a member-state. We’ve done our part :)

26. Mean25
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Offtopic

A Dance With Dragons Paperback Edition Cover Art:
    1. Dreams and Dust http://tinyurl.com/6vzzz7z
    2. After the Feast http://tinyurl.com/6lp99b3

27. spacechampion
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Isn’t that Westeros map app unlicensed? The guy is charging money for the iPhone version. I don’t doubt somebody’s lawyers are going to have a talk with him.

28. Hexonx
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

spacechampion,

The iPhone version is “free” for Westeros with an option to buy Essos.

29. Giantofstark
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Sorry to go off topic. I notice the site now blocks out spoilers for iPhones as opposed the making then bold (or maybe my phone just figured out how to work!) but now I can’t work out how to read the spoilers. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

30. Jerod
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 1:41 am | Permalink

The Masie Williams interview pretty much confirms that Hot Pie and Lommy will be fleshed out characters. Perhaps this is known already, but I was a bit concerned.

31. spacechampion
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Hexonx,

That still means profiting from an unlicensed work.

Posted January 26, 2012 at 4:08 am | Permalink

Andrew,

Thanks for the correction, fixed. (And added the bit on Iceland.) Well done ;)

33. Marc
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 6:38 am | Permalink

Does anyone have link (YouTube or other) to the Lena Headey MTV interview that is viewable for non-US viewers ?
    Thanks.

Posted January 26, 2012 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Marc,

Erm, it’s in the post. Same bullet point.

35. Andrew
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Yep, you are right. Iceland is in the mix too. I just hope that Kit had a blast up there even though they had to film in a pretty cold weather. But snarks only come out when it’s cold. It is known:)

36. surfKraken
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Giantofstark,

Have the same problem here on my android. Don’t care about spoilers being blocked as I’ve over-read the books. I’d like to remove these S blocks if anyone has a suggestion.

37. SeraRavi
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

surfKraken,
    SurfKraken and GiantofStark:

I always just copy the spoiler barred text and paste it on my notepad. It’s a roundabout way of reading it, but it does let you see it. I’ve used that method to read spoiler barred text on other sites, so I was able to adapt to the ones here without much trouble.

There may be a better way, but this should get you by until someone suggests something better.

38. stringer bell
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

George answers reddit’s top 10 questions.

39. JackSparrow
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

SeraRavi:
    surfKraken,
    SurfKraken and GiantofStark:

I don’t read the board on a phone, but can’t people just hit the quote button, then read the text in the reply box?

40. Bronn fan Ben
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

stringer bell:
    George answers reddit’s top 10 questions.

Future books spoiler: Excellent, if expected, news about Bronn!

41. Blueberry2
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

stringer bell: George answers reddit’s top 10 questions.MOD EDIT: Be warned that there are pretty heavy spoilers for all books at this link.

Future books spoiler: Sounds like we will probably see Valyria

42. alfred e. fry
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

As Peter Dinklage recently mentioned surprise deaths ( might be just Renly though), and D + D talked about a non book death earlier ( I initially thought it would be one of Dany´s maids or something equally minor) I have the strong feeling right now they are going to kill Joff or Myrcella in season 2. As a fan of the books I could live with shortening the whole Dorne Storyline (like it in the books, but I understand there has to be some cutting somewhere in the series) and killing Myrcella might help it, but killing Joffrey early – please don´t!

43. EvilPicnic
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

alfred e. fry

Whaaaaa…. How can you even think they’d kill off Joffrey? He’s a major figure of hate for both book and non-book fans, and when his death does come it’s a focal point for catharsis – it’s a big thing. D&D won’t hasten it just because they want to do some trimming. I hope. Getting rid of Myrcella is more feasible, but then again they’ve already given Cersei an extra dead child so far… the theme could get repetitive. There’s only so much humanising you can do…

In the longer term, I agree about Dorne. I like it and all, but it never seems more than an adjunct to more important events. Even Quentyn didn’t really go anywhere. The salient parts can be condensed, and a lot of the long-winded, colourful parts can probably be glossed over completely.

My prediction for S2? Slightly more violence, slightly less sex.

44. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

alfred e. fry,

Really, I don’t think there’s any chance of that happening. Certainly not Joffrey; killing him a whole season (book) early tremendously screws up all of the other plotlines. Benioff has expressed interest in doing the Red Wedding; that doesn’t happen if Joff is killed this season. Myrcella dying early is also unlikely; they’re pretty much getting rid of her anyway by sending her to Dorne, seems excessive to kill her off. Actually, if they did off Joffrey this early, I would probably stop watching, but I think there’s about a .01% chance of that happening. I’m sure it’s a minor character, one of the handmaids, some random wall ranger; the biggest one I could see them killing early is Craster.

45. Bronn fan Ben
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard:
    alfred e. fry,

Really, I don’t think there’s any chance of that happening. Certainly not Joffrey; killing him a whole season (book) early tremendously screws up all of the other plotlines. Benioff has expressed interest in doing the Red Wedding; that doesn’t happen if Joff is killed this season..

Unless the Red Wedding also happens this season.

46. alfred e. fry
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

On second thought I have to agree with you. The losses Lena Headley refers to may not be actual deaths. The surprise death comment by Dinklage got me going, but for the reasons you and others mentioned it can´t be Joffrey. Also, I think it was confirmed he will be around for the Battle (Antler Men).

47. the goat
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Watching the Ep 1 replay, no new trailers or anything beforehand. Maybe afterwards, but I doubt it.

“Our way is the old way.”

48. the goat
    Posted January 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Nope, just the “Cold Winds” trailer.

49. G_Lee
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Yeah Spoiler tags work on my mobile now. Good job Winter!
    The German article pretty much says how much the handling of languages has improved on TV. GoT is used as a good example. GoT is gonna air in autumn on free TV on a crap channel. What a pity! It has already aired on Pay TV

50. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 3:37 am | Permalink

51. Tickler's Gold
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 4:13 am | Permalink

Arrogant Bastard,

I can see the non-book death being Pyat Pree.

52. Giantofstark
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 4:23 am | Permalink

I’m amused that the majority of the messages since I posted are walls of black haha. The notepad will certainly work if I’m really keen to read the full post, I suspect I’ll just look at the site from my pc in future. Better to have the spoilers too hard to read rather than too easy for everyone who doesn’t want to see them :)

53. Mormegil
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 7:07 am | Permalink
  54. FacelessMan
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 9:18 am | Permalink

John-Michael Lelievre: OT – My apologies if this has been posted already, but here’s a video for any fans of The Goonies/Game of Thrones :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW9L9Mp4Ia0&feature=player_embedded

Admittedly, that’s the first thing I thought of when I orginally saw that scene.

I had no idea it would line up so well, though : D

55. FicusFan
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Can’t view the spoilers on my iPod Touch. Others have decloaked when you tap but these don’t. Would rather have them bold than black.

56. Giantofstark
    Posted January 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

FicusFan:
    Can’t view the spoilers on my iPod Touch.Others have decloaked when you tap but these don’t. Would rather have them bold than black.

I half agree so I can use the site from my phone but having had things spoiled from the bold type it’s better to be safe than sorry. Personally I read the books as quickly as possible so I could read the forums and not worry about spoilers (and now the spoilers are gooooone lol).