Thrones stunt team takes home SAG Award
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards.

Lena Headey at the SAG AwardsLast night, while we waited with breathless anticipation for the new trailer, the Game of Thrones cast looked to add to their first season awards haul, at the 18th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in LA. Prior to the ceremony, it was revealed live on the red carpet that the Game of Thrones stunt team won the Award for best stunt ensemble in a television show!

Unfortunately, Thrones lost to Boardwalk Empire in the category of best ensemble cast in a drama series. Still it is an honor to be nominated and many Thrones stars came out to the event, including Kit Harington, Emilia Clarke, Alfie Allen, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Jason Momoa and Lena Headey (pictured right). You can see more red carpet photos on our Tumblr. Hopefully we’ll get some interview videos online soon as well.

We should also mention that on Saturday the Directors Guild held their awards show, where Tim Van Patten was nominated in the drama series category for his work on the first episode, “Winter Is Coming”. Unfortunately he lost to Patty Jenkins, who directed the pilot of The Killing.

One more major guild awards show remains, the Writer’s Guild Awards, where the whole of the season one writing team is nominated. Those winners will be announced on Feb 19.

Winter Is Coming: Congrats to the stunt team for their win! Some amazing work by those guys and gals. Sad that the full cast didn’t win though as I thought that top to bottom they were the best in their category. Oh well, there’s always next year!

1. Mormegil
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

won the Actor for best stunt ensemble in a television show!

They’re giving away Actors now?

Hope the Stunt Team enjoys theirs.

2. Sam
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

A win is a win so I’ll take it. When you think of all the great new characters being added I don’t see how we will lose Best Ensemble next year.

3. Epic stromboneous
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

4. The Rabbit
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Congrats to the stunt team!

Pity for the cast ensemble. Have to agree that the fantasy genre is still pretty much a burden in all these awards stuff. It seems we have to be content with whole bunch of nominees.

5. Robbet
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

For a fantasy series the quantity of awards Game of Thrones received is pretty good, and the number of nominations is fantastic. I believe that Season 2 will gather more Awards, because there will be more characters, the story is more developed, bla, bla (so many reasons). And there is also that certain battle that happens in the end :P (HBO better make it awesome, my expectations for the battle are very very very HIGH)
    Congratulations to the stunt team!! :)

6. Andrija Andrew
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous: Obviously it’s because they hate fantasy and they think fantasy is for twelve year olds. Solution: more boobs and f bombs next year.

7. Dreamlife
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

One award is better than none, though I think Game of Thrones’ ensemble cast was much better than Boardwalk Empire’s. There were a lot of characters in the first season, so it was probably hard to notice each actor’s individual talents.

8. loco73
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that at least “Boardwalk Empire” won, which is another check mark for HBO. I’m just about done watching the first season, and once I get my HBO subscription running in a few weeks I’ll try to get the second season On-Demand. I really like “Boardwalk Empire” it is an outstanding show with and excellent cast…BUT…(and that is a big but as you can see…because I like big buts and I can’t deny…) there is no comparisson with “Game Of Thrones”, which is a better show by far! I loathe going through all the details and reasons why…yet, to me at least, there was no contest as to which ensemble cast should have won last night at the SAG awards…

Oh well that once again reiterates the notion that I need not pay attention to any awards to validate my support and appreciation for this wonderful series! Yes it is good to get nominated and of course win, especially as a acknowledgment to the people involved in the show…but as a fan I don’t give a shit on any of them!

As for the DGAs, really, I mean I like “The Killing”, but Tim Van Patten loosing to Patty Jenkins…the “Winter Is Coming” pilot episode is a work of high quality. I have watched my free DVD copy several times, and even as a stand-alone piece, it surpasses many series pilots I have seen throughout the years!

9. Epic knows nothing
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Andrija Andrew: I will be seriously pissed if we strike out next year award-wise, it doesn’t do much for me personally cause I KNOW this show is awesome, but I am worried that some viewers would think there is something “wrong” with the show if they continue with this aloof attitude towards GoT.. This isn’t another same old same old fantasy show..

My guess based on a loose understanding of these things is that in 2012 GoT will have less nominations because it’s no longer a new show. But what will be nominated will have a better chance of winning. In terms of best drama, I wouldn’t expect that until the fourth season if we are so lucky.

loco73: really, I mean I like “The Killing”, but

Totally disagree. Episode 1 and 2 of The Killing is the best part of the entire season, and the entire season rolls just from the momentum of those episodes. Ep 1 of GoT was reshot and it is a mess and next to ep one of the Killing looks like a P O S.

Unless you are just looking at costumes and sets I guess.

10. loco73
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

Yeah whatever…good for you that you totally disagree…I don’t really give a shit!

11. Epic knows nothing
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

loco73,

If it makes any difference, I agree with almost everything else you said.

12. midnightblack07
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Well, one the bright side, at least the show’s getting tons of recognition??

I do think it deserves to win pretty much everything and anything though, bummer that the powers that be where awards and such are concerned always seem to turn their nose up at the fantasy genre :/

13. Giantofstark
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Let’s celebrate the award GOT did win not commiserate on the award that got away. There could be many reasons why BE pipped GOT to the post, not necessarily because people don’t respect the fantasy genre. It could be for that reason, or not. The other shows who lost out may be complaining they didn’t win because people are adverse to their genre, or their period of history or their etc etc.

Well done to the stunt team!

14. Phantomwriter05
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Sorry …
    I was going to say something in congradulations …

But the picture of Lena is has completely derailed my train of thought.

15. Dark Star
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Lena Headey??

Should be Lena Hot-Tay!!!

16. fevredream
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Another case of an award in competition between two awesome nominees. Both the ensambles for GoT and for Boardwalk were incredible. GoT winning would have been great, but I can’t fault BE its win here.

17. JamesL
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 2:51 am | Permalink

2m views already for the season 2 trailer :)

18. Nucky Thompson
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 5:12 am | Permalink

To all those people who were bashing Boardwalk Empire on this site, you guys know who you are… SUCK IT! All your BE bashing and at the same time telling everyone how Game of Thrones is so much superior, well, looks like karma bit you all on your asses. I hope this lesson here will give you guys some humility.

19. Magnus
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Nucky Thompson:

People are allowed to have personal taste in tv series you know. And why is the opinion of that award jury more valid than theirs? I like BE myself, but why get so upset when somebody doesn’t like it?

20. Shinyteapot
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 6:15 am | Permalink

Congratulations to the stunt team! They’ve done some great work and thoroughly deserve this award.

21. KG
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Mormegil,

Mmm In that case, I’ll take Mr. Coster-Wadlau.

22. Epic pinafores
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 7:16 am | Permalink

Awesome! The stunt team won without having to do a big battle. Looks like cutting corners pays off in the end. I bet next season they will skip most of Blackwater to do more sexposition with Ros. Then the awards will come by the truckloads!

23. John
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Nucky Thompson:

Your name says it all . Just go away from here you troll fanboy .

24. John
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Epic pinafores:

Your not funny , just stop , please . What’s with all this trolls on this site ? Why aren’t the mods doing something ?

Posted January 31, 2012 at 8:13 am | Permalink

John,

Oh, Epic is our pet troll. He’s quite well behaved, you shouldn’t take him too seriously, though. He’s not destructive (i.e. keeps his satirical attempts to older posts, late in the discussion thread), and we keep him as an example to other trolls. Any creature farther from the standards than him gets removed. We still keep a close eye on him, so he doesn’t get to presume too much, no worries.

26. Elena Amici
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Congrats to the stunt team! I’m kinda sad GOT didn’t get ensemble cast, though. I know the cast is BE’s best part, but I think GOT cast is better, and not because I like the show better. It just is. (And maybe because BE has Paz de la Huerta in.)

Epic knows nothing,

I like this post a lot, and I agree. Wow. I think it’s the first time
    Talking about first times… on a shallow note, I checked the pics on tumblr and I found a pic of Kit, smiling. It’s actually taken from a video, so I don’t know if it counts, but still..
    PS: I love Emilia’s outfit *-*

27. Jen@House Stark
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Lena was beautiful, love the dress. And Alfie, for the love of the Seven, hot, hot, hot!

28. Spork
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Ned always said “Winter is Coming”…

29. Epic nobodys
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

John,

Et tu, brute?

Forgive them for they know not what they say or are.

Troll on a leash… a bit too kinky for my tastes.

30. Kis Márton
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Wow, it’s glad to see so many Hungarian names among the stuntmen.

31. Andrija Andrew
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Kis Márton: Wow, it’s glad to see so many Hungarian names among the stuntmen.

Hmm the question here is WHY is there so many Hungarians?? One, who didn’t know better, would think that HBO did all of their filming in Nagykanizsa XD Szervusz

32. Mimsy
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I hope jack gleeson pulls off an amazing year and gets a nomination. I haven’t been creeped out by a kid since the bloody Omen actor. As much as I want to punch my tv when Joffrey appears.. I’d like for jack get his nod. Maisie i’m looking at you too.. make us proud!

33. Michael Kehoe
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Mimsy,

It’s so easy to want to hate him for being Joffrey but then I remember he played the innocent little kid in Batman.

Posted February 1, 2012 at 3:36 am | Permalink

IIRC there was a horse rider team from Hungary involved.

35. purplejilly
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 6:29 am | Permalink

KG: Mormegil, Mmm In that case, I’ll take Mr. Coster-Wadlau.

I’ll take Harry Lloyd, please. Can’t get enough of those ‘crazy eyes’.

36. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

I think BE should enjoy while they’re still on the spotlight hahaha as it seems, GoT is surpassing them among the fans, and on the last award season we might see the results!

37. Mimsy
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 2:04 am | Permalink

Michael,

I didn’t know Jack was in Batman. I’ll have to check that out.