Shadow trailer breaks HBO records, and Kit Harington teases season 2
By Ours is the Fury on in Media, Press.

Game of Thrones‘ “Shadow” trailer, released on Sunday night, has broken HBO’s records for online viewing. EW reports that that the trailer has been viewed “3.5 million times on YouTube, a record for any piece of online HBO promotional content in such a brief period of time.” At the moment, the Shadows trailer’s view count is well over 3.65 million on Youtube.

Also, in this MTV interview, Kit discusses his new costars, Rose Leslie and Simon Armstrong, and refers to episode 9 as a “big episode” for his character. This season, according to Kit, Jon is going into a world that’s “very much more real” and he also shares what it’s like to have celebrity fans. (The video is region-blocked. We will update the post with non-blocked links as they become available. A transcript of the video can be found here.)

UPDATE: SpoilerTV provided a region-free version of the vid.

Fury: That is great news about the trailer’s incredible view counts. Hopefully that will translate into even bigger ratings for HBO. Kit’s interview is brief, but intriguing. Episode 9, not 10, will be the climax of Jon’s storyline. This makes sense when you consider that “Baelor” was the 9th episode of season 1. HBO shows often resolve the major story threads in penultimate episodes, and save the season finales for setting up the next season.

1. Erin / エーリン / 에린
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

He mayyy not be referring to Jon’s storyline when he says episode 9 is exciting. Since we know Episode 9 is Blackwater, that’s the more exciting of events in season 2.
    BUT! He could be referring to Jon’s storyline…just when he said episode 9 was, I was thinking he was referring to Battle of Blackwater.

2. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

(Covered the spoilery part in your post, Erin. )
    Yes, I assumed that that is the main part of ep 9, given its title, but with Kit discussing Jon’s storyline, I think it’s logical that he would be addressing his storyline still in his response. I could be wrong, of course, I’m just speculating based on the context.

3. Queensmoot
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

I was thinking the same thing – that he meant The Blackwater I’m trying to plot my season 2 while I reread ACOK and my episode 9 was stuffed already with no Jon scenes at all.

Great interview!!

4. surfKraken
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

With so many viewings it makes me wonder if Game will become HBO’s number 1? Show as of yet in a couple of years. Look at all the Oscars Return of the king got. It snow balled over a course of what…3 to 4the years? Game will be like 6+ years.

Spoiler alert. I think Kit isis refering to being hunted by wildlngs through the Skirling pass after Jon frees Ygritte. They loose Squire Cambridge, Ebben and Stonesnake in the process

5. Virtus
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

If he did mean Jon’s storyline when he said that ep 9 will be big, it might be that ep 10 is setup for things to come for him as well. If Mance Rayder were cast, I’d bet that they’d end the Jon storyline with that meeting (similar to the way they ended the Arya storyline in season 1 with going to the beginning of book 2), but since he hasn’t been cast, I don’t know.

6. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

cant view the vid in Canuckistan… anyone have a ytoob link?

7. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

MTV, Y U NO unlock the video for other countries?

8. John
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

The regional videos are fucking stupid . What’s the point of calling the internet the WORLD WIDE WEB if it’s just restricted to one country only ? The US is not the only country with internet services .

9. Andrew
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Let me just bring up that the Iceland videos said there are no Iceland scenes in episode 9. That seemed plausible to me when I heard it, considering ep 9 will be focused so much on the BOTB. I wouldn’t assume too much from this.

10. LoF
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Kit’s probably referring to the fight with the Halfhand for Ep 9, since that was something he’s been looking forward to for a while now (something he mentioned in an older interview, if anyone remembers).

11. G_Lee
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

MTV videos are always region blockend :(
    The Trailer views are amazing! Season 2 is gonna be special!

12. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

LoF,

Yup I believe that’s what he’s referring to.

13. Bobben
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:36 am | Permalink

I’m sorry to break this to you, but I am behind most of those viewings.

14. Fire And Blood
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Love it that these interviews are all starting to trickle in. Feels like the slow-moving stone is gathering steam.

I think Kit’s referring to the Halfhand scene as well. But you never know. Could be Blackwater too! But it sounded like he was referring to Jon’s arc.

Is “episode 9″ destined to be the most mind-blowing episode each season? Do we need to arrange a sedative for Larry in advance?

15. Zack
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

If that scene happens in 9, what’s left for Jon to do in 10?

16. Mimsy
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:48 am | Permalink

What’s left for Jon? He’s gotta win over the wildings and get off their radar.. butt heads with Rattleshirt and we meet MANCE! Well, maybe. Mance wasn’t cast was he? At least we’ll be one step closer to Mance. That makes me happy!

The whole beyond the wall and getting back to Castle Black is going to be exciting stuff. Isn’t that the first Jon Night Watch-Era full scale attack of White Walkers? Not that Jon has contact with them, but that was an excellent read. I kept shouting at Sam to get the hell up and run!!

I never heard of this book series until HBO blessed me (us) with the tv version. After season 1, I plowed thru all of the books nonstop and it has been an amazing read. I think I need to re-read as I go along with the tv series, so I can plug in whatever is missing and make the watching experience even grander in my head. lol

I wish HBO could do more than 10 episodes. It seems so short!

17. Meg
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 2:33 am | Permalink

Kit is really yummy despite his ridiculous Elizabethan name. If HBO is smart they’ll cast James Purefoy as Mance. Him + Kit = Nights Watch scenes will melt off the screen.

need to arrange a sedative for Larry in advance?

Really curious who Larry will be rooting for by the time that episode comes around. I think Blackwater is fascinating because there isn’t a clear good/evil side. All we know is: Joffrey has to go, but would that mean Tyrion as well? Divided loyalties will make this interesting!!

18. loco73
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 2:44 am | Permalink

I”m not surprised the trailer broke records…it had reached 1 mllion plus by Monday evening…I myself watched the damn trailer like 10 times just on YouTube, never mind the HBO site and here on Winter’s spot…

I got to say, as much as I despise Varys’s character, he plays wonderful on the show and gets some of the best lines…still seeing Tyrion reply at the end of the trailer is just icing on the cake…also I can’t wait to see the whereabouts of one Jon Snow…

19. Obosi
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Not to rush things or anything, but I’m really looking forward to Seasons 3&4 as ‘A Storm of Swords’ were brilliant, dark and utterly merciless.

Alot of stuff gets set up in A Clash of Kings, but not alot happens that really drives the characters forward.
    Maybe that’s why it looks as though they are putting in bits from book 3 into the second season.

20. Michaelmann
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:05 am | Permalink

I am not that sure about Kit referring to Jon in episode 9. They said the used the islandic scenes in episode 8 and 10, so 9 is dedicated to Blackwater. Imo they should leave Jons fight with Halfhand to episode 10, as the birth of Danys dragons was in episode 10 of Season 1.

21. darquemode
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:46 am | Permalink
  22. Linda
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne,

We used to live in Montreal…….I feel your pain.

23. Seagull
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 6:01 am | Permalink

I still can’t get over they didn’t introduce Victarion in the second season. I laughed my way through the Dance Of The Dragons. They should have a trailer for his badassery and put this in the background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1-fr7357l8

24. purplejilly
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood: Do we need to arrange a sedative for Larry in advance?

I think Larry’s going to be on his guard this year. He is going to be jumpy every episode. Now that he’s learned the evil ways of GRRM, I don’t think he wants to be fooled again. It’s gotten so bad for me that now I just keep expecting each character to die, especially anyone in a prologue.

25. Dreamlife
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 7:31 am | Permalink

I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Cast of Thrones does a really funny podcast about the TV series. (FYI, the podcast is definitely NSFW so either listen to it on your own time or wear ear phones!!) Right now they are doing a Book Club podcast, making their way through book 1 in anticipation for the new season.

Of more interest to this community, they interviewed Kristian Nairn.

Here’s the link: http://castofthrones.com/2012/01/bonus-episode-9-kristian-nairn-aka-hodor-interview-2/

What I found really interesting about the interview is that Hodor and Bran’s relationship is more prevalent in season 2 than it was in the book. That is great news, in my opinion. Also, it’s interesting to hear how Kristian approaches a character who only says one word.

26. RAD1999
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Meg,

James Purefoy as Mance Rayder? Can’t see it. Now the Red Viper yes. He would be great for that role.

27. Katie
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Dreamlife,

Thanks for the link! I was curious about their podcast.

A little OT, but on the subject of podcasts, if you’re looking for just a fun listen try Boars, Gore and Swords. It’s hosted by 2 comedians from San Francisco who had no prior knowledge to the series before starting to review the show. Their initial reactions and predictions are hilariously off the mark, and they’re pretty good humored about it. It’s fun to hear them get sucked in to the series as time goes on. They also have guests comedians come in to speak, and even did a GOT game show at a SF club. They did the whole first season, and are now almost finished with AGOT in their book club. (They are thinking of reviewing Dunk and Egg next.) This podcast is definItely NSFW, and definitely worth a listen.

They’re on iTunes, but you can follow them on Twitter at @boarsgoreswords . There is a link to their show and Tumblr there. :)

28. Sam
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Yeah I assumed Jon was referring to blackwater as well. On a related noted, the trailer is now over 4 million views. We can get 10!

29. Richard
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink
  30. Vuron00
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t get too excited over the trailer viewing numbers. I think all of us GoT fans are nuts and I’m sure that I’m not the only one who’s watched it a dozen times.

I wonder what the actual number of unique viewers is?

My plan for the next 2 months… watch the repeats on HBO, watch the blu-rays when they arrive, and wait for April 1. I wonder if I can fit another re-read in there somewhere.

31. Geoff
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I know a lot of people that tuned in to see the series premier of Luck just so they could get a peek at season 2 of Thrones. Hope HBO didn’t pick up season 2 of Luck based on those numbers.
    Richard,

32. Johan Sporre
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Vuron00,

But we have always been nuts and watched teasers and trailers multiple times. With the increase in views it must either mean that our nuttiness has increased five-fold since the “Cold winds”-teaser or the amount of unique viewers has increased likewise.

33. Vuron00
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

I’d love it if GoT could approach the numbers of the Sopranos, or even pass them. I wished, but didn’t think it was realistic that GoT would generate these ratings. I’m happy.

34. Katie
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Kit may very well have been referring to Blackwater, but just because episode 9 isn’t supposed to have any Iceland scenes in it, doesn’t mean that the Beyond the Wall stuff won’t be happening. Didn’t they film some of those scenes in N. Ireland, as well?

I honestly don’t think the fight with Qhorin Halfhand would happen until episode 10. It makes sense if that is what the interviewer was referring to, in terms of big things happening with Kit’s character.

Seriously, can this season start already? I already know what’s going to happen, and the suspense is still killing me.

P.S. I don’t even know how many times I’ve watched the teaser at this point. My favorite, though, is when @CatonSet and Finn Jones were tweeting about how many times THEY watched the trailer. See, it’s not just us!:p

Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Vuron00: I’d be really curious to know the real numbers. We’ve been getting indications recently that the viewership keeps going up, but I’m not sure how. I’d love to see some data on how many online viewers HBO is getting. I wonder if some of these numbers are from countries that didn’t get the initial release and just lagged behind.

HBO only reports the numbers they get from their US subscribers. So no, the increase in average amount of viewers per episode is not from other countries catching up. It is strictly from more people viewing the show via HBO Go or On Demand. Basically, the fan base for this show is increasing even though the show is not currently airing. This is what positive word-of-mouth can do for a series.

36. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

All part of the hype machine.

If HBO can sell 1 million season 1 discs and get over 4 million viewers tuning in during the season 2 9pm premiere airing then these reports will be vindicated.

37. Bgap
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

My understanding is that the YouTube counter reflects unique computers, not views, so my 30 views on this computer will show as only 1 view on the counter. So, the 4 plus million views on the trailer is closer to actual number of viewers, with perhaps a smaller number viewing across multiple systems. Can someone back me up on this?

38. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Bgap,

Your understanding????

1. You can buy ‘views’. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a mobile Game of Thrones cuisine in 5 major cities.
    2. Google it. Type “how do youtube views work”

39. Bgap
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,

Clearly there’s more to it than I thought. From a google search -

“The first view of any video from your computer counts as a view as soon as it starts playing. if you constantly refresh the page you have to watch the whole video.
    So basically, the first view is instant and the rest you need to watch at leased past halfway of the video. or alternatively, you can just come back a view the video every hour or so and it will count as an instant view and you wont need to watch the whole video.”

If views are ‘bought’ then that really complicates things. However, I don’t think HBO is buying views. They certainly don’t need to for GoT.

40. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

If HBO was buying views for GoT they would have done so for the first season, when it was fairly unknown, rather than the second when it’s already caught plenty of steam.

41. Oi!
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

The trailer was on youtubes main page for a day so that would account for the bigger viewing numbers.

42. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

One easy way to look at how skewed the numbers are is by looking at the number of HBO youtube channel subscribers–150k. From 150k subscribers they got almost a million views.

Another misreporting is the 9.3 million viewers of GoT. You guys remember they do add the number of viewers for each repeat?

But the good news is this misinformation might get people to be more interested in GoT. Popularity garners popularity. ie Michael Buble, xmas 2011.

43. Idaan
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I can’t help but notice how much more Jon Snow-like Kit looks when shaven. I understand that the boyish stubble is on par with the sanitary conditions in Night’s Watch, but it makes his face look pudgy.

44. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Sure, just go to youtube and type HBO in the search bar. It will bring up the channel and the count of 142,622 subscribers. Then search for “got shadows tease” click on the video to watch it. At the bottom right is a stats button that will display stats. Here it will say First referral from a subscriber module 841,997. That’s from subscribers. Assuming all 142k subscribers logged on in the last few days, they each watched the video 6 times. They also watched the video each 6 times on their mobile devices on their way home Monday evening. More realistically, 2/3 of the subscribers logged in (93k). That’s 9 views per subscriber. If the average person watched the shadows tease 9 times, then the video was watched by almost 400,000 people in three days. Which is excellent really. Assuming half of the people who watched the tease on their iphone then watched it in HD later that evening, that leaves about 365,000 unique viewers.

Posted February 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous, you are trying way too hard to skew these numbers. There is a simple explanation for why the subscriber module views are so high; those aren’t all views by people subscribed ONLY to HBO and/or Game of Thrones. They are any views by any user who was referred to the video via the subscription module. So if another channel posts the video to their subscribers and those people watch it, it would count against that number. Considering the video was favorited and liked and posted all over the place, it’s not surprising that number is so high.

I know you like to play the cynical troll who exists to knock all us geeks down a few pegs, but I think this time you got to give it up. Game of Thrones is really popular.

46. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

The real problem, is that we tend to grasp onto the most ridiculous stuff like meaningless numbers. I am not trying to depress anyone but to be realistic, but anyway I will stop now since you are making sound like I’m ruining your fun. Subscriber module referals are referring to subscribers who watched the video, not to all users using a youtube HBO subscriber’s hyperlink.

Posted February 2, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous, I wouldn’t say the numbers are meaningless, they are a way to gauge how popular the show is. Just like Nielsen numbers or Facebook Likes or any other metric you wish to use. And I don’t think you’re ruining anyone’s fun. But I think your typical contrarian stance is, in this case, way off base. So I felt like it should be pointed out for accuracy’s sake. :)

Again, a subscriber module referral is any Youtube user who was referred to the video via “the subscriber module.” So if they saw the video pop up on their homepage Subscriptions stream, clicked on it, and watched it, that counts as a “subscriber module” view. They didn’t necessarily have to be a subscriber of the HBO or Game of Thrones channel to be counted in that number.

48. dizzy_34
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Epic, did you press the dislike button? It’s o.k. you’re with friends…you can admit it.

49. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

No, but I only watched it 4 times out of spite.

50. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Thanks for correcting me. I’m so convincing I almost convinced myself. It’s the trouble with being so friggin epic.

51. Maxwell James
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Let’s say HBO artificially skewed the numbers and added 2 million views, fully 50% of the running total. That would still leave 2 million views in 4 days – far higher than any other GoT trailer, or any other HBO trailer on record, has received. Moreover it would still be shockingly competitive with comparable shows – the second-season Walking Dead trailer has 1.2 million views after six months.

Does HBO game youtube views while AMC does not? And why would they do that unless they thought that GoT was a strong candidate for a highly successful second season? Remember that youtube content owners get much more detailed breakdowns of the audience, including unique views.

[UPDATE - sorry to pile on, Epic - I wrote this post but got called away before submitting it.]

52. Rillion
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Well I have only watched it once. So far.

53. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Artificially? It’s just marketing. You make a good point. I think the bottom line is the video was viewed a lot, but there are explanations behind the sudden burst to shadows that explain why the spike is so misleading. If it wasn’t misleading, there would be a trend across all GoT videos.

54. userj
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Oh Kit… you are such an emo-hipster in every single interview… Every time I see him, It’s like wow – you would be Jon Snow if you were in Westeros.

55. Maxwell James
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous,

That’s true, but there’s another explanation that I think is just as likely: hunger.

Last year, HBO put out a _lot_ of GoT videos, including a few trailers that frankly were quite rough around the edges, plus a ton of “making-of” content. This year they’ve controlled the flow of content sharply. So even the miserly “Cold Winds” tease, now out two months, has more views than last year’s Iron Throne tease, out for almost 13 months.

Lots of fans have complained about that of course. But in terms of building interest I think it may have been the right strategy.

56. Elena Amici
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

userj:
    Oh Kit… you are such an emo-hipster in every single interview…Every time I see him, It’s like wow – you would be Jon Snow if you were in Westeros.

they really got the right actor for the part

Epic stromboneous: It’s the trouble with being so friggin epic.

Yeah, I guess it really has to be hard, to be such an epic person. :)

Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James, yup. Also if you look at the GoT videos there is an upward trend. The Cold Winds tease got more views than any S1 trailer for example and now the Shadow trailer has eclipsed it. Hell, the Terror tease, which is just 17 seconds of some words flashing on screen, has more views than many of the S1 trailers. Also the S2 In Production videos each show an increase in avg. viewers per day over the previous ones. Now whether this shows that the fan base is actually increasing each passing week/month or just shows a growing excitement in general is up for debate, but there is definitely an upward trend.

58. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I think part of the reason why the trailer count is so high is because it’s concentrated on those few videos.
    Last year, they didn’t put them online right away and people like me put up their own copies of the trailer. By the time HBO put the trailers and behind the scenes vids on their own youtube channel last year, they’d been scooped by everyone else and their view counts suffered. This year they’ve learned their lesson and are putting the videos up immediately. There will still other copies out there on youtube, but most people aren’t bothering, since HBO is putting the HD trailers online so quickly.

59. Queensmoot
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

I love that everyone else is worried about Larry too!

When they do the red wedding the poor guy will have an aneurism. I can’t WAIT for that review.

60. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

But there is a difference in numbers you describe that comes down to 1. active interest in watching the video and/or 2. casual interest (people clicking whatever is in front of them). Not that there’s anything wrong with the number of casual clickers, but it is misleading if you compare the combined groups with the old numbers that contain one group that is the number of people who have more than curious interest in watching the new teaser.

And that’s just one explanation for the difference.

Elena Amici: Yeah, I guess it really has to be hard, to be such an epic person. :)

You might think it’s wonderful. Well, you would be correct most of the time. But sometimes (very rarely) it’s not.

61. Matthias Hinkelmann
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

4,153,493 right now in less then 3 days. Insane! Okay people may click more them once… but they do this also on other trailers. nevertheless, i know quite a few guys here in germany who aren’t into fantasy and they posted on facebook “like”. Lot’s of people started reading the books too. I guess HBO can’t cancel the show after all, so george better get started writing WoW ;)
    I guess that more than 3,5 mil guys will watch the show on HBO. They will have great numbers on dvd sells AND most of all many international tv stations will buy the show. Even in germany pay AND free TV bought the show… the books are runing great too.
    I just hope that they will show more than 4 seasons (book 3 split into halfs). PLEASE… wanna see the end!

62. The Rabbit
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

This.

63. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Matthias Hinkelmann:

ive watched it 4,153,191 times :P

64. dizzy_34
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Damryn of Dorne,

Not to check your math but Epic watched it 4 times. I guess he stopped half way through the fourth time.

65. Gez
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Some of you are too negative.

Offcourse GOT has had a MAJOR increase in viewership since the end of Season 1. The word of mouth on season 1 was highly positive. That resulted in the books topping best seller lists for the bulk of last year (and they are still selling well). This has resulted in more people becoming fans of the series and hence more fans who anticipate Season 2. At the same time, others have discovered the series by WOM and have checked it out online – both legally and illegally. Add in the fact that the DVD/bluray will also attract more viewers.

I think the box office success of the first Twilight films are a perfect case study for this. The first film came hot on the heels of the success of the books – huge among fans but virtually unknown among the general public – not unlike GOT S1. While the books were best sellers – they were still early in their popularity cycle when the first book film out. The film did very well in North America – a $70m opening weekend and a $190m total. It stunned the industry with a gross that made it No.7 for the year.

Many were then predicting that the fanbase turned out for the first film and that the second will make about the same amount of money, perhaps slightly more. This was always a weak argument. After the first film release – the twilight books exploded on the best seller lists. The second film opened a year later to a whopping $142m opening weekend and $290m total. Its opening day of $70m was then the biggest opening day of all time and its weekend the third biggest of all time behind only The Dark Knight and Spiderman 3.

This my friends is the same scenario we are looking at with GOT S2. Though ratings are a little harder to gauge than box office.

The first episode on HBO of Season 2 is a lock to have more viewers than any Season 1 episode. I’ll predict that it will rival True Blood as HBO’s top show by the end of the season.

Now the better question is, of the many viewers picked up over the last year – how many will actually tune into HBO for season 2 as opposed to downloading episodes or living overseas and watching via other channels or downloads once again. That is the key question that will determine how big a jump in ratings GOT S2 will have.

66. Epic lovely time
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Gez,

Nice points. TB season 2 ep 1 had a record breaking 3.7 mil viewers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see GoT get that high on April 1. By season 4, TB had 5.4…

It’s more a point of getting existing subscribers to tune in rather than get new subscriptions IMO. No pressure. If you have HBO, go watch the damn show.

67. Ninepenny
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink
  68. Gez
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Epic lovely time,

Thats right, you have HBO now watch the show. New subscribers will obviously be a bonus!

I do think TB’s 3.7m is very beatable. We’ll all be waiting for those initial numbers with bated breath I think!

69. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Gez,

An optimistic and realistic prediction. As much as I hate to admit it, the Twilight series is a good analogy for our little show.

Something to consider: I used to work at HMV and still talk to my old colleagues and a common rant they had for the past six months or so concerns GoT. Before the release date of the Season 1 Blu-ray/DVD was announced the employees there (and other video retail outlets I imagine) were fielded with a large amount of inquiries to that effect since the first season went off the air. So not only might we see a major increase in ratings-hopefully-we may also be confronted with the awesome prospect of record DVD sales as well.

I wonder how the chains are going to price the box set on the release date and the following week? I plan to ask my friend how many copies of GoT season 1 is on order so we can get an idea of what the distributors and the various retail outlets are expecting sales-wise.

From a marketing/retail standpoint Game of Thrones is a great product. First of all you get the “spend as if your Midas when in fact you are actually Napoleon Dynamite” geek demographic who will purchase it. Then the regular fantasy buffs will chip in. Add the ASOIAF fanatics, the converted rookie readers the historical film lovers, the costume drama aficionados and the “this show is Sick man!” /HBO T and A and blood demo to the mix. Add a dollop of critical acclaim as well to convince the wine and cheese crowds (ie: Me!). It simply dances across genres and demographics in its appeal. Given these possibilities I think optimism is a completely realistic outlook.

Regarding the release of Season 2, one thing does gnaw at me: from both my own social circle and from what I have read in various forums, some of the newbies who continued with the series absolutely loathe Book 2. Not to mention the ones who completely gave up on reading the series due to its “unrelenting grimness”. I wonder if they will stay around to see if the adaptation is better or if those turned off by the rest of the storyline will continue with the television series. As amazed as I was that word of mouth regarding Poor Ned’s fate did not spread before the airing of Baelor, that those who frequent IMDB and Youtube and are mercilessly spoiled by the douchiest of trolls I wonder to what extent D and D can keep the Red Wedding under wraps? Not much I assume, since there will be more of the Converted to ASOIAF watching by that point.

And then of course there is the ratings fallout that will occur from the RW alone! Or maybe the opposite?

70. Dave Brownell
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Season 1 of this show was HUGE, the amount of people who after the last season has been out for a while watched this and recommended it to ME (a bit of a change, i usually do that haha).

Seeing as how theres a huge following already, season 2 is going to rake in my views and fans for being a MUCH better story :). People loved the first season, and it (and the book) are more about getting to know the main characters a bit before the sh*t hits the fan. This season is when the sh*t DOES hit the fan hahhaa cant freakin wait

In the Meantime, I’m going to enjoy the new season of tosh.0 that just came out XD!

NP: Eternal Translucence – Wretched

71. Jordan Healey
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 3:14 am | Permalink

I’m pretty sure he meant

Episode 9 is a big episode (Blackwater).

and Jon does more real fighting this season (probably just the fight with Ygritte & Orell, and with the Halfhand).

Not that Jon’s arc concludes in episode 9.

72. DrNick
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor
    It simply dances across genres and demographics in its appeal.

I love that turn of phrase. Pure class. :)

73. Gentilly
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

DrNick,

I agree, twas a classy bit.

Back on topic however, I am in the same mind. I mean, I agree with you most enthusiastically. It is rather unfortunate (though somewhat comical you might agree) but one must admit it: The Twilight series is preferred by young people of the female persuasion that appear only to enjoy entertainment of a base nature, that is to say childish and well, giddy. Certainly wanting of the lofty goals GoT expertly lays before us.

One thing is certain, as I recently discovered: Twilight is incapable of unifying viewers of various background: from young to old and from lowbrow to sophisticated cheese and wine consumers eaters (I, as it were, also belong to this incredible group of persons). Incredibly as you point out, the growing popularity of Twilight perfectly exemplifies and indeed mirrors the growing popularity of the more mature Game of Thrones television show.

Now, about me: I enjoy a fine bordeau with my bolona and mayo on white here and there thus it stands to reason I am in the perfect, shall we say, market group that transgresses geek to international renaissance man. Indeed god is my witness I am well versed in the arts; film, world literature-and of course, television. As it happens I was until some time ago employed by Best Buy and recently visited my old pals (who sadly are still gainfully employed in that veritable sweatshop) and invited them to converse with yours truly over pints and crudites. We had a lengthy discussion regarding the general appeal of genre material as dispensed by the retail sector.

Naturally the conversation took place in a pub only down the block from the retail giant, as my friends John and Andy were on their 15 minute break, and the waitress who delivered fine ale had a handsome smile, and we sipped softly the brothy frew and were friendly and cordial, having friendly discussion amongst ourselves, and not being rude to those who were minding their own business in nearby tables.

Our conclusions rather melded together beautifully regarding this, that, and the like, and it soon became evident we agreed one the one thing; that GoT has indeed a universal appeal which may revolutionize television for many generations to come. Indeed perhaps even years beyond.

Now regarding the rw, I do concur having read the books several times over (and indeed pencilled a mock thesis on the rw itself during my spare time while vacationing on the cote d’azure this past summer [it was in actuality the jersey shore last november, but who's counting?]) this shall be a terrible thing to keep secret.

But even among scholarly company you may encounter a rascal or two that may chance to ruin your evening. Indeed, leave you panting like a dog not knowing what hit it. It is difficult to imagine such terrible going ons in this day and age but alas there be bullies, and for what may lurke in these trollish persons’s diseased minds I shall never be privy to its detail.

But here on WiC I believe I am in good hands among these moderators to ignore a certain shall we say unenlightened creature that doth lurke on all fours and hath bloody disgusting entrails for brains. And I trust the WiC moderators will continue to shed light in the dark places and guard us from these and other wicked ones as well as accidental goodfellows who would spoil information to the undeserving and innocent fan.

On the ratings issue the RW should generate I only leave you with this thought: shan’t we be glad merely to have reached this pinnacle? It has thus far been an incredible journey. One marked with many new friends and sights–even rought video games and dainty portable phone application. I pray we may see many more in the months to come!

74. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Gentilly,

This post was glorious! Glorious. *Grunts at the poor decision to buy stocks in Research In Motion and picks up glass of castillero diablo. Takes a sip and spreads pâté on a biscuit* Just absolutely Glorious!

75. Gentilly
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Gentilly,

This post was blah! Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.

Ah…. your meaning escape me there little fellow.

76. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Let’s keep the discussion friendly and civil now, guys. :)

77. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Gentilly,

I can’t but agree with some of your evaluations regarding Twilight, although to amalgate all fans of the series is surely erroneous. Indeed, you risk sounding abstruse to suggest it.

Let us instead expand on all the marvels inherent in everyone of all cognizance. Even if, perchance, the person is one of scandalous immoderation, or prone to issues with necrophelia; there still is redemption!

Yes! And it can be found by being a spectator of a much more passionate, nay, arousing spectacle like The Game of Thrones! We must convince people of all persuasions; even those who caress fully anatomically correct lifesize dolls…yes EVEN THEY deserve the pleasure of veiwing the most stupendous program of all time.

78. Coltaine777
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

OT…Knowing this site, it probably has already been mentioned but just in case it hasn’t ? the REDEYE website has an interview with the sexy Nathalie Dormer where she mentions she will be filming season 3 of GOT this summer and that she has signed on for multiple seasons…after seeing her in the Fades I think I am in love !!! ….what a hottie and her body is amazing, oh and her acting is good too lol ;)

79. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Gentilly,

Really? Because I thought it was a post of ‘epic’ proportions.

Yay! You got a response! Seriously are we done now? Because I’m not going anywhere and you can keep trying your little games until you push the envelope and get banned. Up to you really. I just want to discuss GoT.

As John Lennon said: “give peace a chance.”

80. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Check out season 1 and 2 of the Tudors. Best Anne Boleyn portrayal ever. The show falls apart after she is gone.

81. Coltaine777
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

You know Joshua I’ve been debating for awile whether to watch the Tudors or not, but I think I will just to see more of Ms.Dormer’ acting..

82. The DarkStar
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

So I just watched the trailer a few times, trying to put myself in the place of a person who knows nothing about the show/books and who didn’t see the first season.
    I gotta say, the trailer got THAT much better. HBO did a masterful job of putting it together, showing all the different places, and the crazy tension that is going on.
    I believe if I was a person who stumbled across the trailer, I would make it a point to check out the first season.
    Bravo.

83. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,
    Can’t go wrong with Sam Neil as Cardinal Wolsey or James Frain as Thomas Cromwell either. I think you might agree that John Rhys Myers was miscast though.

84. More Rice Cooks
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

I think 3.7 on April 1st is doable, we’ll see. I don’t agree with the Twilight comparisons, as I do feel Twilight is far more of a mainstream type of fiction than GoT. I don’t really see the show competing with the huge fangirl numbers Twilight and especially TB get. Those shows are driven by some impressive, commanding male leads that really excite a demographic of women. GoT is too gritty despite having some good, commanding male leads as well. Plus we have to factor in the elephant in the room, that Twilight and TB don’t deal with: [spoiler up till ADWD, be warned] a lot of characters die in this show, or disappear, or are faced with less than ideal circumstances some viewers might not like; I can’t even imagine what the fallout over the RW will look like. Imagine if Twilight killed off their biggest male leads in every other film, for instance. Hell, imagine if people’s favorite characters were constantly killed off in The Sopranos each season

The show is already a big hit for HBO and S2 should do better than S1, but I’m more bullish on the prospects of success of future seasons.

85. Pink Dragon
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:31 am | Permalink

More Rice Cooks:

It would at least be worth a weekend read/bored watch, then.

86. H, aka Vee
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

Yes, this. And, if I’m not mistaken, HBO’s YouTube channel isn’t region-limited, right? Putting the promos up on YT does nothing but strengthen their brand and help sate demand on their terms, which a few (definitely not all) networks have come to realize. I’ve been very impressed with HBO’s publicity/marketing in this regard because they “get it.”

Question (as I caught the first season in its entirety after it aired): I see GOT isn’t available on Amazon Instant Video, but is on iTunes – how quickly did they release to US iTunes after an episode aired, or did they only become available after the entire season aired? Was curious about the availability of the show via those channels, with HBO being a premium cable channel and all. (Apologies for being off-topic, but genuinely curious about how that side was handled for the first season.)

87. lloyd irvin
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an
    established blog. Is it tough to set up your
    own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Cheers

88. Lloyd Irvin
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Hey there this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have
    to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

1. [...] we expect to see the first real trailer for season three? The first full trailer for season two (the one that broke records) was actually released one year ago today. So if we look at it that way, HBO isn’t too far [...]

2. [...] last season, the “Shadow” trailer acquired 3.5 million views in the same time frame and HBO touted it as a record for any sort of online promotional content they had put out. Obviously, this trailer has blown that [...]

3. [...] digital copy downloads saw an increase of over 110 percent. Last year’s Shadow trailer was the most viewed trailer in HBO history on YouTube with over 3.5 million views. This year’s S3 trailer reached a staggering 20 [...]