Access Hollywood interviews Daniel Portman
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Daniel PortmanAccess Hollywood has interviewed another new cast member for season two of Game of Thrones, and this time it is Daniel Portman, who plays Tyrion’s young squire Podrick Payne. No videos this time, just a written Q&A. Here is a snippet:

Access: In the books, Pod’s about 12. Emilia Clarke’s character, Daenerys, is 14 or 15, but they aged everyone up in the show. Have you figured out how old your character is?

Daniel: I’m looking at it as if Pod is 16… There are kids that age around that have grown up much quicker than he has and he’s been kind of left behind… The way I was looking at it was to keep the weakness and the awkwardness prevalent I thought it would be nice if he was sort of in between being a teenager and sort of grown up into a young man – and that sort of awkward stage a lot of boys get themselves into and they’re not comfortable in their body. They’re really clumsy, and they think they look terrible all the time.

Much more at the source, including another WiCnet mention!

Winter Is Coming: A good interview! I love hearing from the newcomers. Daniel looks the perfect Pod to me and I can’t wait to see him in his role.

UPDATE: Access Hollywood was able to do a quick follow-up interview with Liam Cunningham at the premiere of Safe House. He goes over much of the same stuff as before, but does talk about the fans’ response to his recent interviews.

1. kindley man
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

First!!

Portman looks like a real good Pod. Cant wait for ep 9…

2. Rukie44
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Sounds like this guy has his head wrapped around his character pretty well. I look forward to seeing those interactions with Peter.

“Yeah, he’s going to play quite an important role towards the end of the series.”

You don’t think… Blackwater?!

3. kindley man
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Rukie44,

of course he is talking about that. The climax to that episode imo

4. sunspear
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Does anybody else find it weird that the writers decided to drop the Blackfish and possibly the Reeds, but they decided to keep Podrick Payne? I mean, I can’t think of anything they really need him for that another character like Bronn couldn’t accomplish.

5. The Rabbit
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I can not wait for April!

sunspear,

It may have to do with some info that GRRM gave to D & D. The info from the future, yet unwritten books.

6. Epic The Balls
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

If Bronn was helping Tyrion into his armor and tidying his socks it would look gay.

Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Oh, stuff coming fast and furious today, I miss the publication, and get surprised by a new post each time I manage to get to the computer :) Good job, Winter.

Daniel is going to be a great Podrick, he has the right looks and gets the charachter. A few more weeks to go!

8. Michaelmann
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I would like to see the look on Larrys face as he thinks that … is going to … and then … turns up and saves the day :D

9. Magnus
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Michaelmann:

Maybe we should tell him to record himself watching episode 9 again just to make him nervous.

10. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

sunspear,

my thought is because Tyrion may be the biggest fan favourite character, they want to make his arc as satisfactory to hardcore fans as possible. But that’s just a guess. :)

11. mummer
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

sunspear,
    Pod is the only ally Tyrion has who is totally innocent and just wants to help, and he doesn’t know how to do anything, so he’s pretty much the exact opposite of Bronn. I think swapping him for Bronn would change the feeling of Tyrion’s whole arc in book 2 nearly as much as if you removed Shae and just had Tyrion casually sleeping with random women he didn’t care for.

12. Dreamlife
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

He looks like a perfect Pod! I can’t wait for him to meet Brienne and call her My Lady, Ser

13. Tenesmus
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

I deff thinks that Pod will be in the series’ end game. I am sure we can infer who the end game players are by who does or does not get cut during the seasons. Waiting to see how Bran and Rickon are split up at the end of Season 2. If Osha takes Rickon, Is it just Hodor, Bran and summer heading North? I think the Reeds aren’t end game players, so they will be left out. Bran can do all his warg experimetation on Summer and Hodor, no need for the Reeds, even though Ilike them.

14. Tenesmus
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

someone please fix my comment. I honestly tried to do the spoiler font and failed. I apologize!

15. Theon Greyjoy
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Pod is one badass motherfucker.

Can YOU boast getting a killing blow on the most fearsome member of the Kingsguard?

16. John
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

sunspear:

17. Langkard
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

John: Blackfish sucks and he is an overrated character . Get over him fanboys, he’s not important to the story . What’s so hard to understand ?

Thanks for sharing your apparently much more important opinion with us. Is there a particular reason you chose to do it so insultingly, or are you just naturally obnoxious?

18. dizzy_34
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Pod is awesome. Acts like a complete moron until the shit hits the fan then he starts kicking ass.

19. Skipjack
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I just want to say that when Daniel Portman says series in the interview he means it in the British sense, a season of a show is called a series over there. I don’t think he has more insight than we do into the end of the run of the show. If you’ve read the books, obviously he is important for a particular scene I expect at the very end of the ninth episode.

20. KG
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

John,

I think we may have a Love Connection here! I get so lonely yelling “Blackfish sucks!” all by myself sometimes …

21. Chump Force 1`
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Pod is one of my favorites! This guy looks like he’ll fit the part perfectly…and he is going to be important for several seasons to come….assuming he didn’t die when he was hung at the end of AFFC. I think Brienne saved him in time by saying she would lure Jamie into a trap, at least I hope so…

22. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

John,

What so hard to understand? Oh just that some people have a different opinion than yours? Alot of people like the Blackfish. Give us a break man.

Why are you so angry?

23. Langkard
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:24 am | Permalink

The interactions between Pod and Tyrion are nice light comic moments. I hope they keep the scene for season 3 in which Tyrion and Pod ride out to meet the Martell delegation, with Tyrion testing Pod’s knowledge of the Dorne banners, and the encounter with the Red Viper who turns up to take the Small Council seat instead of Prince Doran. Great interactions between a maturing Pod and Tyrion and then Tyrion and the Dornishman.

24. Adrian
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:42 am | Permalink

I’m shocked people seem so much more concerned by the apparent omission of a character who may or may not later play a major role than the apparent omission of one we already know plays a hugely major role.

25. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Adrian,

If your talking about Reek/Ramsay I am concerned…a little. But I personally believe we will see him in season 3 that or he’s been secretly cast already. I am sure the Reeds will show up in some capacity. I have hopes for the Blackfish as well.

26. No-One
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:52 am | Permalink

I share the displeasure about the missing Reeds nor I’m like the idea of another season without Riverrun. But we all know the statement ‘This Books not filmable’. I’m very happy about Pod casting and looking forward to see him on screen (especially later with Brienne).

One of the great strength about ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ is, that a big part of all Characters represented in the early two books, even if their great role starts one or two books later. (We read stories about Griff in the first SoS Daenerys chapter, Blackfish on the Bloodgate and so on). But on screen, with only ten episodes they must ‘pull new characters of a wizard-hat’.

I have no doubt that we will meet the Reeds in Season 3. And I’m sure we will hear from the Blackfish. We know in season 2 will no Damphair only a priest, but I’m sure in 1 or 2 years here on WiC is a great post ‘D & D found actors for Reeds, Blackfish and Damphair in a wizard show’…

I like the interview. I like that Portman refer Pods kinship to Ser Ilyn Payne. April is coming…

27. Shinyteapot
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Langkard:
    The interactions between Pod and Tyrion are nice light comic moments.I hope they keep the scene for season 3 in which Tyrion and Pod ride out to meet the Martell delegation, with Tyrion testing Pod’s knowledge of the Dorne banners, and the encounter with the Red Viper who turns up to take the Small Council seat instead of Prince Doran.Great interactions between a maturing Pod and Tyrion and then Tyrion and the Dornishman.

It would be the coolest nod to fans ever if that scene were changed ever so slightly. “A portcullis and a chair, with an eye above” “Gatewatch, of Wyknett” :p

28. kindley man
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Off topic…

52 DAYS TO GO!!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!

29. Epic lovely time
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:36 am | Permalink

APRIL FOOL IS COMING!

Posted February 9, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Updated the post with a link to a quick follow-up interview with Liam Cunningham from Access Hollywood. Nothing major, but he does talk about the fans’ response to his recent interviews.

31. MistaMista
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Love the positivity, but as for making a “great” Pod, I don’t think its all too difficult to play a near-mute, stuttering child with minimal camera time.

32. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Expanding on my Twitter comment regarding SFX Magazine’s (UK) interview with GRRM about his episode for Season 2:

“It’s the Battle of the Blackwater, which I think was very cruel of David and Dan to give me. I have this reputation of always being too big and they gave me the biggest battle in the series. It’s got everything that will smash a budget to smithereens. It’s got castle walls, horses, ships, fire and a giant chain. We’ll have to see how much actually makes it to screen but I tried to do an episode of the show that was on one hand produceable, and on the other hand exciting and including as many of those elements as we could.” Martin also reveals it’s directed by Neil Marshall (The Descent) whom he admires greatly, and unlike the book will add the additional viewpoint of Stannis Baratheon’s command tent.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

Thanks, that’s cool to read! No Blackwater without a chain ;)

34. Meg
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

MistaMista: ty, but as for making a “great” Pod, I don’t think its all too difficult to play a near-mute, stuttering child with minimal camera time.

hahahahaha!

35. Ted furthman
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Langkard,

Lmao the only obnoxious thing is the way u reacted to john’s opinion lol. I’m personally a fan of blackish but I don think he’s done too much in the series as of yet, but after his escape from RR I’m sure GRRM has a lot in store for him.

Posted February 9, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Meg: hahahahaha!

Would you guys like to try?

37. the goat
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Theon Greyjoy:
    Pod is one badass motherfucker.

More fearsome than Jaime Lannister or Sandor Clegane? No. Well maybe more fearsome than the Hound in that particular battle.

38. Ted furthman
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the spoiler blockage, I dont know how to do it on the mobile phone =D

39. Langkard
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot: It would be the coolest nod to fans ever if that scene were changed ever so slightly.“A portcullis and a chair, with an eye above”“Gatewatch, of Wyknett”:p

Agreed! I’d love that.

40. Mike Johnson
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Now, where’s the interview/spoiler pics for Asha/Yara Greyjoy? That’s all I require to be ready for Season 2.

41. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Daniel seems cool!
    and Liam is awesoem as ever!