Quick Hits: Gerardis talks Blackwater, more awards, and TITANCON
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Speculation.
  • Brazilian site Pop TV recently had a chance to interview Game of Thrones co-producer Vince Gerardis. Vince talked about his involvement in getting Thrones off the ground, and also talked about his one disappointment for season two: [he wished for more of] the Blackwater sequence is “only” 16 minutes long [to be reproduced on screen, but you only have that many minutes available. Nevertheless, what you see in episode 9 is simply fantastic]. He also reveals that there have been discussions to adapt Martin’s Dunk & Egg novellas [and other material], although it is unclear whether the talks were with HBO or some other movie/TV studio. At any rate, Vince says there are no plans to adapt the novellas currently, [as the novel adaptation deserves and demands their full artistic attention].
  • UPDATE AND CORRECTION: Westeros.org has explored some issues of transcription and translation of the Gerardis interview, and corrected the mistakes and misunderstandings. The information above has been amended. Most notably, there has been no mention of any specific minute count!
  • The visual effects team on Game of Thrones has won two VES Awards, one for outstanding supporting effects for “Winter is Coming” and one for best created environment for The Wall. Congrats to BlueBolt and the rest of the team!
  • Unfortunately, Game of Thrones was shut out at the Irish Film & TV Awards last night, despite being nominated in 5 categories. The night wasn’t a total loss for Thrones cast members though, as Aidan Gillen picked up a win as best actor for his role in the Irish drama series Love/Hate.
  • The new website for TitanCon 2012 has just launched. The guest list for this year’s con includes Kristian Nairn, Miltos Yerolemou, Art Parkinson, Aimee Richardson and storyboard artist William Simpson. More guests to come, hopefully. Tickets go on sale Feb 18th (last year’s attendees should check their email for a special offer).

1. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Is he being sarcastic about the 16 mins or did the budget really curtail his vision?

2. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

16 minutes is substantially longer than the battle of Philippi in ROME (9 minutes), the previous longest big battle sequence done by HBO. It’s even longer than the opening battle in GLADIATOR (9.5 minutes) or the D-Day sequence in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (about 15 minutes from when they hit the beach).

So it should be reasonably impressive. More impressive than Philippi but probably not up to the standards of LotR. Unless HBO gave them $25 million to do just the entire battle.

3. Zack
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Now that I have heard the possibility of Dunk & Egg being put to screen, I will be unable to get it out of mind. Please make it happen!!

4. Dreamlife
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

I haven’t had a chance to read any of the Dunk and Egg stories, so it would cool to see them adapted—-hopefully by HBO, for continuity.

I’m not worried about the battle lasting only 16 minutes. That’s plenty of time to cover what happens. It’s different in a book where the author has to describe every detail. When they can show rather than tell, it should work out just fine.

I’m glad Aimee Richardson will be attending the Titancon. We didn’t get enough Myrcella and Tommen in season 1. In fact, I wish we knew more about her in the books. Hopefully the TV show will spend more time with her character, particularly when she is sent to Dorne. And it is always a pleasure to hear Miltos’ thoughts on the series, even though he’s no longer in it. I wonder if D & D are aware of the theories in the fan community that he and Jaqen are the same and plan on working with that theory.

5. sunspear
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Two questions:
    Does that 16 minutes count all of Sansa’s intermediate scene’s in Maegor’s?

Does anyone know where I could read the Dunk & Egg stories online?

6. Bro
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Disappointing that GoT didn’t pick up anything from the IFTAs. Love/Hate really isn’t that spectacular.

7. Taco
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I dunno, 16 minutes doesnt seem that long to me… Kinda disappointed.

8. jellydonut (@frakwit
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Doesn’t bother me at all. Protracted action sequences in movies are honestly mostly dull. It’s much better to have a concise sequence with no fluff. It’s much more elegant and appealing.

What is important is how they have used the time, not how much of it there is.

9. Hollyoak
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Sixteen minutes is actually a pretty long time in TV. He probably just meant he wanted it to go on longer because it’s going to be so cool!

10. Scudder
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

16 minutes? It’s more than enough! And it’s even more than the battle of Philippi in Rome, as said before. It will be great with GRRM and Neil Marshall on it.

11. Dreamlife
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Hmmm. Google translator is confusing me with regards to the interview with Gerardis. First, he says, “nobody wants to do it”. The last sentence is translated as, “it is much more likely than people realize”. Clarification, please, anyone who reads Portugese?

12. Sensible Simon
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Well, of course. I don’t know why some people expected it to last for the entire episode.

13. Oi!
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Wasn’t Helms Deep like 20 min so, 16 min sounds like more than enough.

14. Wolf of Dorne
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Dreamlife:
    Hmmm.Google translator is confusing me with regards to the interview with Gerardis.First, he says, “nobody wants to do it”.The last sentence is translated as, “it is much more likely than people realize”.Clarification, please, anyone who reads Portugese?

Portuguese is quite similar to Spanish, so I’ll try to help :)

He’s asked about doing some GoT’s spin-offs. He says the idea has been pondered, but right now nobody wants to do it. Maybe in two years or so, but not now as they already have a lot of work to do with GoT. Then he talks about all the work, money and people needed to keep a degree of quality. He says they are as important as the plot, costumes or subplots. Production is as important as all the former subjects and for such a huge work like this one a lot of time and work is required, more than people (viewers, I guess) possibly could notice.

15. Johan Sporre
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I wonder if the 16 minutes is actual battle, or if it’s including other King’s Landing scenes as well (for example Sansa and Cersei).

Great to hear that Aimee will be at TitanCon. She seems like a great girl and Myrcella is one character I want to hear more about.

16. Ivan Popić
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I think they could reconsider making Dunk & Egg stories when/if they catch up with novels. But maybe a tv movie could be a format for them, they are short enough.

sunspear:
    Does anyone know where I could read the Dunk & Egg stories online?

They were published in various anthologies and as with other books you have to buy them. The first one is also available as a comic strip and I think it was published in “Legends” anthology. The second one was published in “Legends II” and the latest Dunk & Egg story was published in “Warriors”.

17. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

As a quick hit you might also mention that David Peterson was a guest on the latest episode of Jeff Rubin’s podcast: http://www.jeffrubinjeffrubinshow.com/

18. Prankster
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

jellydonut (@frakwit:

What is important is how they have used the time, not how much of it there is.

Yep, we shouldn’t really be obsessing over screentime or the actual budget spent on the battle. There are brilliant action sequences that last five minutes and cost $2, and terrible ones that last forever and cost the Earth.

I do think it’s a good thing that this is going to last a long time, though. I disagree that extended action sequences are inherently boring–it depends on how much narrative is being conveyed, and there’s a lot in the battle of Blackwater.

Mostly, I’m just happy that the story will be able to breathe. I felt like, other than the amazing opening of the pilot, there wasn’t enough emphasis put on certain sequences that should have been more intense, atmospheric, or memorable. For instance, Jon Snow’s battle with the White Walker in Lord Commander Mormont’s office felt kind of perfunctory–it’s not that I wanted it to go on for ten minutes, but it’s a crucial scene, it’s our only other glimpse of the Others in S1, and it’s supposed to be incredibly creepy and exciting. And instead it sort of hit the narrative beats and moved on. The Walker didn’t seem like an unstoppable threat, which should be making us anxious for future encounters. It wasn’t a BAD scene, mind, just not everything I would have hoped based on the first episode.

Book 2, despite its length, is actually more narratively flexible than book one, so if they’re using the excuse to develop scenes of action and suspense with a little more atmosphere and elegance (I’ll say it again, the House of the Undying better be amazing), I’m all for it.

19. tysnow
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I am of the belief it is 16 minutes of battle, blood, brutality oh and fire. It more than likely stretches over the course of the hour, interlaced with SanSan, Tyrion, Cersei, King Dickweed, Stannis, Mel and Davos.

20. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I dunno. 16 minutes of battles is good, if that doesn’t include all the non-fighting scenes with Sansa, Cersei, The Hound, Tyrion before he goes out to fight But if that 16 minutes includes all the non-fighting scenes… I don’t think that would be enough time for the battle.

In Saving Private Ryan or Gladiator or Helm’s Deep, they weren’t cutting from the battlefield for long scenes of characters afraid to fight The Hound or women huddled up.

. I believe the whole episode should just be Blackwater. It should start as the ships see King’s Landing in the distance and end as Ser Loras removes his helm. The only way to do it justice.

21. sisan
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

16 minutes? How is that a disappointment? I expected only 5 minutes:)

22. Winterdark
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

16 minutes is extremey short for the whole battle. I would spent the whole episode on it. Or even better smear it out over three eps. end of ep8: Blackwater rush, ep9: King’s Landing, beginning of ep10: Tywin arrives

23. Lise Bollum
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

16 minutes sounds like reasonably balanced to me. Blackwater is a huge event in ACoK and I’m happy to hear it might actually be treated with the justice I think it deserves.
    But as somebody mentioned above, drawn out battle-scenes can easily become boring, no matter how impressive they might look, so not overdoing it seems wise, especially since there are so many other exciting things happening at the same time!

And yay! I would love to see a Dunk & Egg adaptation!

24. sjwenings
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

16 minutes seem too long for just battle scenes and too short for the entire thing (including the drama inside the walls of Kings landing.)

25. Sensible Simon
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Prankster: For instance, Jon Snow’s battle with the White Walker in Lord Commander Mormont’s office felt kind of perfunctory–it’s not that I wanted it to go on for ten minutes, but it’s a crucial scene, it’s our only other glimpse of the Others in S1, and it’s supposed to be incredibly creepy and exciting. And instead it sort of hit the narrative beats and moved on. The Walker didn’t seem like an unstoppable threat, which should be making us anxious for future encounters. It wasn’t a BAD scene, mind, just not everything I would have hoped based on the first episode.

That was a wight, not a White Walker.

26. Acrodyn
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Sensible Simon: That was a wight, not a White Walker.

If that was a White Walker, we would not have seen much beyond the wall.. :P

27. G_Lee
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre:

That’s the point! If the actual battle is 16 min long that would be absolutely great! If those 16min include all the talk in Stannis’ tent and the stuff going on in Maegors it would be rather disappointing
    considering this is the greatest battle in the series so far

28. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Yeah 16 minutes isn’t as short as it sounds, it should be good. :)

29. Winterdark
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I really don’t understand how they can fit the entire battle in 16 mins. Even without the banquet I still can’t come up with anything shorter than 21 mins.

Breakdown:
    mins 1-3 : Stannis’s fleet moves in on Joffrey’s
    mins 4-10: The chain is raised and ships are caught ablaze. Davos is thrown away from his ship. Stannis’s remaining troops land and the bridge of wrecks is formed.
    mins 11-12: the hound refuses
    mins 13-17: Tyrion rides out with a party to defend King’s Landing and is eventually attacked
    min 18: Cersei calls for Joffrey
    mins 19-21: Stannis’s army is ambushed by Garlan Tyrell and changes sides.

30. Epic knows nothing
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

GRRM’s Hollywood man is having a little joke on us since all the other battles are about zero minutes long.

But this sounds familiar:
    Vince: É um excesso de enredos se encontrando. (It’s A Clash of Kings Too Many Plots)

31. Kevin
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

32. Mormegil
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

16 Mins should be more than enough for the Battle (even with cuts to inside the Red Keep) it’s almost a third of an episode after all.

Kevin: They should adapt and air the Dunk and Egg stories as an HBO miniseries after AFFC/ADWD airs on TV if GRRM hasn’t finished The Winds of Winter.

If HBO do adapt the D+E stories it would be great if they managed to use the same actor for Dunk in his DWD cameo in Brans vision.

Prankster,

As others have said that was a Wight (reanimated corpse) and not a White Walker/Other, have to agree the scene was one of the weaker ones in the series though.

33. Noob Takes the Black
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Just so long as we get some bodies being flung by the trebuchets I’ll be pretty happy.

34. Sanette
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Prankster,

I also found that scene quite underwhelming. I read the book after the show and I was surprised how much that part actually scared me. They could have done a better job. Let’s hope all the stuff beyond the wall will blow our mind.

35. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I am actually surprised the battle is going to be sixteen minutes long! that’s a quarter of an entire episode that will probably be cut intermittently between the other story lines. I do wonder if they mean 16 minutes of actual combat spectacle or do they mean for the duration of the entire battle and all involved? Hard to say.

That said the cast and crew are making a lot of buzz about this episode so I’m excited. I’m not exactly expecting Pelennor Fields here. And given what HBO’s Rome did to its blood thirsty armchair historian fans I think we are going to get the best spectacle in HBO history in comparison.

Consider this:
    Philippi: 5 minutes? Not to mention Brutus’ suicide by cop? I guess it would have been boring from a TV writer/audience perspective to have Brutus and Cassius fall on their swords.
    Pharsalus: What battle? Caesar and Pompey got dressed for combat, leave their respective tents and after a blurry dissolve of fallen standards, it’s over. Pullo and Vorenus marooned= Tyrion getting knocked out before Green Fork. Although in the story’s defense, Vorenus and Pullo run into Pompey and…send him off to his ultimate fate.
    Actium: Smoke obscured triremes in the far background, Vorenus, some injured marines and Mark Antony in a row boat in the foreground.

Battle of the Blackwater: 16 minutes. Still better than Rome.

36. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know where I could read the Dunk & Egg stories online?

Not online (though releasing them for e-readers should be a no-brainer). However, all four stories (including the new one) will be published in THE TALES OF DUNK & EGG VOLUME I, which Bantam (and presumably Harper Voyager in the UK) will be publishing in 2013.

37. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

The Battle of Philippi in ROME is about 9.5 minutes long, including the amusing birthday cake preamble. You can see the whole thing on YouTube:

I would be expecting something better for GoT (CGI has moved on in five years) but not a vast amount better. I’m thinking some close-up combat scenes like we’ve already seen (in the battle with the hill tribes in Season 1), some long-shots of the Red Keep obscured by smoke, boats on the river on fire in the distance (like the naval battle in the second episode of THE PACIFIC seen by the marines from the distance on-shore, or the bombardment of Boston in JOHN ADAMS), maybe a couple of establishing CGI shots showing the boats on the river etc.

I do think we’re going to get quite a lot of Cersei discussing the battle as it unfolds from the Red Keep window and a fair bit of Stannis observing the battle from his command tent (which we know is going to be featured in the battle) as well as a fair bit of on-the-ground action, probably involving Bronn, Tyrion and Sandor Clegane. It’s going to look good. It’s not going to look anywhere remotely as good as what’s in your mind when you’re reading though :)

38. Coltaine777
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

It also doesn’t seem like enough time to me either but after season1 i’ll take anything right now…

39. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead: It’s not going to look anywhere remotely as good as what’s in your mind when you’re reading though :)

Exactly. And that’s the mind frame I am going to place myself when I watch the episode.

The naval scenes in John Adams and The Pacific were just what I had in mind for the depiction of the BoB. One can visualize that great harbour in Dubrovnik already.

Nine minutes for Phillipi? Yeah your right about that. I actually enjoyed that scene. The whole episode actually, the Cicero and Pullo scene is brilliant. Peaches are a harbinger of death in that series. Did you notice that? ;-) I doubt Renly did!

40. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Sixteen minutes is extremely long for screen time for a battle sequence. They aren’t going to show men beating on each other and burning to death for that entire length of time, there will be scenes with characters, and those scenes aren’t even that lengthy. (Sandor’s refusal to stay would basically be one minute of him telling Tyrion to fuck off as he walks away- think about it.) I would be worried if they said five minutes.

41. Ed
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

No – you have to buy them!

Does anyone know where I could read the Dunk & Egg stories online?

42. Ed
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Was the opening sequence in Private Ryan dissapointing? The opening battle in Gladiator? Didn’t you see the post above? Those weren’t even 16 minutes long.

I think it’ll be fine.

Taco:
    I dunno, 16 minutes doesnt seem that long to me… Kinda disappointed.

43. surfKraken
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Action speaks louder than words. If all is done well, it can much more emotional too.

16 minutes? The surfKraken will crack open a cold one to that :P

44. Damián Erro
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

22-23 minutes would be better. Im hoping to see a river-wide pile of wrecks and a spire of green fire covering everything in a green-lit atmosphere, swords flashing everywere and the great chain in the horizon

45. jamiecta
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

16 minutes is PLENTY for a battle.

46. sjwenings
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

jamiecta: 16 minutes is PLENTY for a battle.

What he’s referring to as the battle of the blackwater is probably not just the battle itself, but also the stuff going on around the field of battle. I don’t really expect we’ll get more than half this – 8mins – of actual battle scenes – tops.

And that seems like enough fighting, btw, but perhaps not enough talky-talk.

47. Cib
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Fans do not worry! The Battle for Helm’s Deep in LOTR was 16 minutes too !!!

48. greenie88
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I don’t expect Blackwater to look anything like Helm’s Deep..that’s just silly. This is a TV show with only a 50 million budget (I haven’t seen anything on the budget for s2 HBO gave other that it was in the same ballpark as S1). If you want to see massive armies and long battle scenes, fork over the $20 to go a movie theater where movie budgets are in the hundreds of millions and they have a year or more of post production SFX. Because post-production SFX have a much shorter turnaround in television series they are often just as expensive as movies even if the quality and length is reduced. Also don’t forget they are going with CGI wolves and dragons more so this year. If the scale of Blackwater is implied rather than shown it won’t disappoint me–the merits of the TV series need to be based on the whole 10 hours, not 16 minutes.

49. Dave
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

If I remember correctly, wasn’t Helm’s Deep only a few paragraphs in the book, while Battle of Blackwater was way longer, with the book dedicating a number of chapters in the book? Maybe because I’m a bigger ASOIAF fan than a LOTR fan, I think it’s most important to get BoB right, seeing as it’s the biggest battle in the series. As long as the 16 minutes focus on the actual battle than dialogue and pre/post-battle, I suppose even the most bloodlust fans will be happy.

50. mummer
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

No offense to anyone here, but this thread makes it clear that no one on the show should ever mention any single detail unless they want a million comments that interpret that detail a bazillion different ways with each one jumping to conclusions about how awesome/sucky it’s going to be. “SIXTEEN MINUTES, WHAT DID HE REALLY MEAN BY THAT???? Well let me break it down for you…”

51. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

mummer,

But insane speculation/cynicism and knee-jerk reaction is fun! And most importantly…something to talk about. Which is really the case.

I miss the pre-Internet hype when all we had to go on regarding our expectations were cinema trailers, TV spots and the press. The hype engine which is a double edged sword for any upcoming release, was easily controlled back then. It’s so out of control nowadays that one cannot envy thr film makers as word of mouth from pictures alone can lend a hand in making or breaking a film.

Of course this is not always the case. Unlike cinema television has a greater chance of surprising us nowadays than film. And it’s a cheaper investment.

52. The Kingslayer
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

I never expected the battle to be that long, you just can’t afford it with a tv budget. I am sure it still be spectacular none the less, this is the network after all that gave us the outstanding battles from Band Of Brothers.

53. Winterdark
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead,

The difference between the Phillippi and BoB is that for BoB you don’t need hundreds of extras.

The ships are caught ablaze: just use the boatset they allready build and like 6 crewman screaming and jumping overboard. Gives you a good idea of the chaos.
    Stannis’s stroops land: 10 guys and a rowboat should suffice
    The hound defending the shore: well the hound and two other guys. the rest is just standing out of frame
    Tyrion rides out with a party: party meaning Tyrion, Mandon Moore and 7 other guys. No one said it was a big party
    Stannis’s army is ambushed by Garlan Tyrell: 5 guys each plus Garlan Tyrell and Guyard Morrigen

Making a total of 35 extras for the whole battle. I’d be very pleased if they did it like that. I don’t need huge masses of soldier hacking in on eachother. I just don’t want them to cut anything out. I know I included things that weren’t in the book but that’s just too good not too show.

And while we’re at it let’s go through some more budget saving matters:

Stannis’s fleet moves in on Joffrey’s: the Black Betha’s real. The rest is just CGI. In fact you just need a few establishing shots of the fleet to get the idea. Don’t need CGI in every shot.
    The chain is raised and ships are caught ablaze: okay that will be expensive but we allready got confirmation that they’ll use that so no sweat there.
    Stannis’s troops land: like I said 10 guys and a rowboat.
    The bridge of wrecks is erected: a very small set made to look a lot bigger by CGI and again you only need one or two shots here.
    The Hound refuses: This is really cheap, you just need the Hound’s reaction. We allready know what he’s reacting to.
    Tyrion rides out with a party: I’m assuming they have gates in Dubrovnik? The horses are a bit more expensive but you need them for that scene only
    Tyrion fighting on the bridge: as I said a very small set made to look bigger by CGI
    Garlan Tyrell ambushes Tywin’s army: Garlan Tyrell, Guyard Morrigen and 10 extras. Oh and a patch of woodland but that can’t be too hard to find.

So far my thoughts. I really can’t see why they’re not going for more minutes of action but then maybe that’s just me.

54. John
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Yeah, it’s hard to say without knowing exactly what “16 minutes” means. Is that just the fighting, or does it include the scenes with Sansa and Cersei? And if so, what percentage is fighting and what percentage is non-fighting? It’s impossible to say. I think if most of the 16 minutes is fighting, that should be adequate. I guess we’ll see. For me, the only part I really care about is the first part, the stuff in the Davos chapter (which I think is probably my favorite chapter in the entire book–it’s so well written). As long as they get everything with the ship-to-ship fighting on the river, and the wildfire, and the chain correct, then I’ll be happy with whatever else they show.

55. Winterdark
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Cib,

Actually the battle of Helms Deep was 20 mins. But you can’t compare them. Not just because of budget constraints. There’s that too of course but they’re also just too different. Helms Deep was a single battle situated at one site whereas the BoB is actually a lot of smaller battles scattered over multiple locations so the whole set up is completely different to start with.

56. Damián Erro
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

just give me some swordfighting and green wildfire in those 16 minutes, it’ll be awesome

57. Arthur
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I hope that they do the Dunk and Egg stuff as filler if George R R Martin doesn’t pump out the books fast enough and the HBO series catches up to the Game of Thrones books.

They can use Dunk and Egg like Starz did with Spartacus season 2 when they waited for the lead actor to battle cancer. It Wouk be a nice filler as we wait for Martin to finish up another book…

58. Cristian
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

it’s only my idea or today was the day that the last “on the field” teaser should come out?

59. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Off topic: the show “OnceUpon a Time”made a homage tonight with a flower delivery truck that had A Game of Thorns written on the side!!!!

60. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted February 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Sorry I meant “paid homage”

61. Pepi
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Well, it appears we don't know the exact timings after all. But the coproducer being concerned, makes me feel kinda uncomfortable.

62. Sensible Simon
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Pepi:
    Well, it appears we don’t know the exact timings after all. But the coproducer being concerned, makes me feel kinda uncomfortable.

I think he would be concerned no matter how good it was. There will always be fans who will look at it and think “that’s disappointing”, “I imagined it being bigger”, “it’s not like it was in the book”.

63. Epic The Balls
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 3:22 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,
    But without the Internet, where would all the trolls and all the pretentious people discuss a certain crime procedural series from HBO go? Where!?!

16 minutes? Didn’t the brothel scene with Littlefinger, Ros and some other chick took half as long? All the scenes with Ros combine for season 1 is longer than 16 minutes. Nice to see HBO giving an unimportant character more screen time than the most important battle of the series.

Lastly, NNOOOO!!! Game of Thrones missing out on most of the awards for Irish Film & TV Awards. I want to kill myself!!!!

Posted February 13, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Hehe, much ado about nothing. We don’t know the exact minute count after all … Could be longer :) Either way, I updated the post!

65. Epic The Balls
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 4:03 am | Permalink

What the hell?!? So it could be longer than 16 minutes? Are you guys covering up because HBO is giving you the stink eye or just trolling? If it’s the latter, well played guys, well played.

66. loco73
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 4:37 am | Permalink

I never expected something on the scale of the LOTR trilogy (I’m not sure about future battles as I have only read the first novel as of now). Personally I think that would be a bit unrealistic anyways. If they manage to replicate what Ridley Scott did in “Kingdom Of Heaven” (or at least partly recreate that scale) then it should be allright…if the battle sequence is 16 minutes long or thereabouts…then that is enough to my mind, out of a 50-55min episode! Besides in case you haven’t noticed prolongued battle sequences grow tiresome after a while…so I’d rather have something short and sweet, a battle sequence which is well filmed, choreographed, gritty and realistic looking with great visuals, rather than something that goes on, and on…

Furthermore, is not like HBO never did battle sequences, they had “Band Of Brothers”, “The Pacific”, the aforementioned episode of “ROME”, “Generation Kill” and even bits and pieces in “John Adams” etc. So the sense of scale is not so much of an issue, albeit some of the examples mentioned are in different timelines, environments etc. If Showtime managed to do it with “The Tudors” and “The Borgias”, Starz with “The Pillars Of The Earth” and Sci-Fi with “Battlestar Galactica”, then I’m sure HBO will do more than an adequate job.

I’ll be more than content if they match the battle sequence in “Gladiator” or “Braveheart”, or hell if they manage to replicate what Neil Marshall did with his own movie “Centurion”, that will still be more than allright!

67. loco73
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 4:41 am | Permalink

Last night I watched “Spartacus” and “The Fall Of The Roman Empire” and they did such a great job with their battle sequences, and mind you that was so many decades ago with the technology available at the time, and they still look good to this day…especially the last battle in “Spartacus” looks fantastic…

I would think that HBO will be able to do that, especially with a battle -hardened (pun intended) director such as Neil Marshall…

68. Abendstern
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Hmm, I guess the main problem here, would be the postproduction and the time for that. I don’t think they will film real ships or green fire so all that has to be made with cgi and I will be happy if we get some stunning looking stills, like from the citys and some well choreographed one on one fights.

69. Gez
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 7:23 am | Permalink

No matter what the Blackwater episode will disappoint fans. I personally hope its no longer than 16-20 mins. No need for it to drag.

70. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Huzzah for things being lost in translation…maybe the BoB will be much greater and longer than what we’ve now come to expect! The hype engine gathers full steam yet again!

Epic The Balls: Joshua Taylor,

The old Josh would have been firing on all cylinders after that comment. But the new Josh, the Josh that you, Epic the Alchemist, have turned lead into gold with your harsh but well intentioned schooling on the great social equalizer that is the internet discussion forum, simply says: Touche…and thank you. :-)

71. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:05 am | Permalink

loco73,

Spartacus and Fall of the Roman Empire? Yowza that is quite a marathon! Kubrick’s Spartacus (at least in my opinion) has some great moments. Larry Olivier captures Rome in all its cruel decadence, and the build up to the revolt is particularly well done. I could have done without the Spartacus/Varinia stuff (though Jean Simmons is great to look at) and Tony-I love you Spah-tah-kus- Curtis in particular. Personally, believe it or not. I find the Starz series more historically accurate so far in the portrayal of the rebellion. But it pales in comparison to Kubrick’s filmmaking given what he had to go on. Still, it’s nice to compare Ustinov’s epicurean Batiatus to John Hannah’s utterly hubristic, Macbethian interpretation. Have you read Colleen McCullough’s Fortune’s Favorites? There is a whole section devoted to the Spartacus rebellion that will make your eyebrows rise in how things actually went down. Personally I would love to see HBO or Showtime attempt McCullough’s Masters of Rome series.
    But given the two interpretations that we have I always wonder what the original Spartacus would have been like had Kubrick been given full control of the production and not simply filling in for Anthony Mann at the last moment. Of course it was Anthony Mann who directed The Fall of the Roman Empire, which like Cleopatra it was a well intentioned flop. Great performance from Christopher Plummer and James Mason though. I was surprised how wooden Stephen Boyd was, especially in comparison to the great villain he portrayed in Ben-Hur. Sophia Loren was/is a looker isn’t she? Gladiator was a far superior film in my view, if you look at it as a remake of Fall of the Roman Empire.

Speaking of Cleopatra, if the Battle of the Blackwater is anywhere close to being portrayed like the Battle of Actium was in that bloated opus then I will be happy. The BoB will probably be better given the other comparisons you made regarding Battlestar Galactica, Borgias, the Tudors, Rome, Generation Kill etc. And like you said, if the action manages to be similar to what with Neil Marshall dealt out in Centurion than I will be more than satisfied. Liam Cunningham is such a badass in that film!

72. giantofstark
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

Consider this:
    Philippi: 5 minutes? Not to mention Brutus’ suicide by cop?

Nooooooo, Rome spoilers :’(

73. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:52 am | Permalink

giantofstark,

sorry about that spoiler…even though its History/Shakespeare. Apologies. Good discussion board this.

74. Razza
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Guys! 16 minutes is just the batle scene! It’s a lot already!

75. Sam
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

where are you guys getting these numbers? Saving Private Ryan’s D-Day scene was 27 minutes. the helm’s deep battle was about 30 minutes or more. anyways, for a tv episode 16 minutes for a battle scene is plenty!

76. KG
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Yoooohooo … actors … there are other places in the world where fans live.

77. DrNick
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I can’t wait for titancon! It’ll be nice to get catching up with everyone again. Hopefully the WiC crew will be in attendance? It was nice to put faces to the names last year.

As for the BoB, any extras and crew who worked on it that I spoke to said it was suitably epic and they were very impressed. If memory serves me right they spent two weeks (or maybe it was a week) filming it.

78. Cookie
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Sam:

I don´t have Saving Private Ryan on hand, but Helms Deep is MUCH shorter than that.

Just checked my DVD of The Two Towers (the Extended Version mind you). The Battle Of Helms Deep lasts 14 minutes (give or take) from the first Charge of the Uruks to the retreat into Helms Deep. The subsequent sally and the arrival of Gandalf and Eomer adds another 5 Minutes (including the conversation between Aragorn and Theoden before the sally).

So at least lengthwise, Helms Deep seems like a pretty good comparison.

79. sjwenings
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I really can’t understand how no particular amount of time given can be misunderstood as 16 minutes, but oh well.

What counts is that they include all the important scenes – which is more or less all of them, if I remember correctly… As for the actual battle scenes, I’m hoping, but not necessarily expecting, to go “ooh” and “aaah” 2-3 times during.

I’m dreading the disappointed reactions from people expecting the world from this battle and season 2 in general, though. I know several people that were genuinely surprised there weren’t any really expensive looking scenes in seaon 1, and also take for granted that season 2 will “finally” take off for real. Several huge battles, invasion of both Dany and the White walkers.

80. JamesL
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

The In Production: Iceland video is now On Demand and it’s the best and longest one yet.

81. Wastrel
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

giantofstark: Nooooooo, Rome spoilers :’(

Spoiler for Band of Brothers: the Germans lose!

Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

JamesL:

Cool! What does it show? Any glimpses of Ygritte or Rattleshirt or Qhorin?

83. Hi-Fi
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

OFF-TOPIC:

there’s a summary for Arianne Martell’s second chapter from The Winds of Winter. Came across it at the Game of Thrones board at imdb. DO NOT KNOW if it’s the real thing.

Apparently, it’s been posted since August, 2011. So maybe you all know about it already and I’m just late for the party. If that’s the case, I apologize : )

84. Winterdark
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Sam,

My DVD says 20mins. From the moment the Uruk Hai are lining up in front of the Hornburg till the moment they’re annihilated by Gandalf and his army.

85. JonSnow17
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know about the In Production Ice land video ? Wasn’t it supposed to come out today ?

86. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Nevermind the above post . I posted it before reading the previous comments .

87. Epic knows nothing
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

The battle has been edited down to 16 minutes. They spent an incredible amount of planning, time and resource on it and now it’s boiled down to sixteen minutes! For this golden 16 minutes, ‘disappointment’ would be, as a producer, the very last words to bubble involuntarily on my lips to describe it.

I think the important things are the script, the director and the editing. I have high hopes because GRRM is writing it. Last year’s Pointy End stood out among the rest. Now with a new director who is not only unfamiliar to the show’s cast and crew, but to HBO, I don’t know what to expect.

With GRRM writing the script, my hope is the ep will show many small bursts of details from the book, keep the tension high, the pace fast, and not linger too much on the fighting or idle close-ups.

You can’t compare the Squirmish of Murkypuddle with the battle from Rome because the latter is an uneventful, lazy, unstructured battle. Or, can you? I imagine something resembling a battle from Ironclad (2011), (defending the keep at impossible odds). As for boats going up in flames (I don’t care what color the fire will be), I expect the worst. It’ll be interesting to watch.

88. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Those old films look great because they pretty much just did it for real: hire 10,000 extras (or whatever) for astronomical sums of money (at the time) and let rip. There’s no technology involved to date :) You can’t do that these days for massive motion pictures (LotR apparently had no more than 200 real people in-shot at any one time for either Pelennor Fields or Helm’s Deep, the rest were all digital), let alone TV shows (even high-end TV shows). Each extra has to be paid and have make-up and armour and costumes applied (even fairly low-detail stuff only designed to be seen from a distance).

The ROME battle linked earlier is probably a good starting point: a few shots involving real actors, some CGI long-shots showing the full armies duking it out, and a firm concentration on the actors and dialogue only cutting to battle stuff when necessary. That sequence probably has 15-20 actual effects shots at best (compared to 1,500 effects shots in RETURN OF THE KING by itself).

89. Quorin Halfhand
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

HBO has the iceland video up on demand!!

90. OhDanyBoy
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

How long until HBO posts the Iceland video online? How long did we have to wait for the other two “On Location” videos after they went up on demand?

Posted February 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Quorin Halfhand:
    HBO has the iceland video up on demand!!

Ahh! Why must you torture me like this? I need to see the Halfhand!

OhDanyBoy:
    How long until HBO posts the Iceland video online?How long did we have to wait for the other two “On Location” videos after they went up on demand?

It varies. The first video wasn’t posted online until a few days later, the second one was actually posted online before it aired.

92. the goat
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink
  93. surfKraken
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Those are Rad!

The Sandor one is my favorite!

94. dizzy_34
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I want to see Halfhand too but I really want to see me some Lord O’ Bones.

Posted February 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34, yeah, it sounds like this vid focuses more on the Night’s Watch though.

96. Michaelmann
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

And i just want to see the thrice darned video :( sadly I failed to realize that this announcment back then just ment the vid would be released on hbo on demand so I am a little disappointed that there is no video :( I was SO looking forward to this for today… Any ideas when it might air so it will be uploaded to youtube?

97. andrea
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Quorin Halfhand: AND YES! they show quorin halfhand and he looks bad-ass, great production video!

O_O WHERE? I have no access to on demand. WHY???

98. Epic stromboneous
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Nice!

Adam Whitehead: CGI is expensive and, unfortunately, seems to be getting more expensive as time passes.

And never good enough when it comes to fake soldiers. They look fake and they absolutely kill the drama.

Braveheart (1995) had 1600 extras. Luc Besson’s Messenger (1999) had 1500. Both feature battles more dramatically engaging than any LOTR battle. It’s a choice.

99. Pedro Dias Cardoso
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

since I’m a native portuguese speaker, I can assure u guys that they mention (gerardis, at least) the sequence will be 16 mins long.. might be the interviewer cheated us, but that would be kinda stupid… anyways, seems like we’ll enjoy a pretty damn long scene and that’s already freaking cool

100. Hottenator
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Iceland video caps are leaking online!! HALFHAAAND. And Kit looks like he had a really bad cold, ouch.

101. Winterdark
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Epic stromboneous:

102. Coltaine777
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Hottenator,

nice find..thx…

103. lonas
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Jon didnt fight a white walker, he fought a dead ranger killed by a white walker.

Prankster,

104. Nights King
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Related to the Dunk & Egg adaptation – If George takes his dear sweet time with the last two books and the series catches up to him, they could do the Dunk & Egg adaptations then to save George another 1-3 years (Similar to Spartacus Gods of the Arena in between seasons 1 & 2 when the guy playing Spartacus was fighting cancer).

105. darquemode
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I posted the Notes From the Set: Iceland video on YT.
    This time it’s not 1080p sadly. HBO did not release it on HD onDemand yet… only SD. I think it should be 720p at least once all the resolutions upload…

106. Knurk
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Nights King,

Nah, fighting cancer is a good excuse, but being a lazy writer is not.

107. Knurk
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

thanks so much (again!)!

108. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll start a new post for discussion. :)

109. Hottenator
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

Oh wow, thanks you’re amazing!!

110. andrea
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

thank you! how resourceful you´re

111. Kai Alexis Price
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Some humor.

112. JC
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

I don’t know if I’d want Marshall directing other episodes of the show but for this one, he is an excellent choice. I haven’t seen Centurion which is probably the best comparison but I’ve seen his other three films. Of those, I only really dig The Descent (which is one of the best horror movies of the past decade), but he shows a particularly strong ability to stage thrilling and tense action on very small budgets – which is exactly what is needed for this episode, for them to stretch the budget as much as possible and get as much scale out of it as they can.

Also, I have to agree with you about the comparisons with Rome. Out of curiosity, I watched the full battle linked in the comments earlier and if considered as an action sequence, I think it absolutely fails – little of it has sense or reasoning behind it and there aren’t strong story elements in the action – it’s kind of like they just said, “cue the action” and then proceeded to show us random bits of fighting because it’s a battle, rather than giving us stories, motivations, and investments inside the battle itself. The pacing is absolutely terrible as well with a start-stop feel, zero tension and little thrills. I’m sure this succeeds in getting across the story they needed to get across, but I think the major issue here is that the story is 100% about the leaders of the battle rather than the low-level soldiers, and we barely see any fighting from them, instead getting bits of pointless action with random soldiers. If you’re going to have a limited number of battle shots, you might as well make them all about your characters rather than just random shots of people getting killed – those people getting killed should be the backdrop for an interesting scene of heroism (or cowardice or whatever) for your characters, not the focus. At first I thought it was a problem inherent in the story (the leaders not participating but guiding from behind), but then they had Mark Antony go ahead and attack – and we don’t see that part. There was an opportunity to get into the battle with the characters rather than random stooges. They could have easily written some small arcs or stories into the little bits of action and the direction of it all could have been far more thrilling and less cerebral.

Also for the record: not a fan of the cross-fades here. Really removes you from the immediacy of the battle and is counterintuitive. Cross-fades are great for softening transitions, giving a dreamy quality to things because of their lack of precision. In a battle sequence (or the build-up to one), that lack of razor-sharp cutting kills whatever tension you’re trying to convey. The first part of the scene, where they make the cracks about the urination, you can tell they want that part of the sequence to have that underlying tension of “the battle is about to begin” but all that tension was completely diffused previously by the dreamy cross-fades showing you all the ranks of the soldiers lining up for battle. Blech.

I’m not expecting something on an epic level but I think it will feel larger scale regardless as I have no doubt what we get with Marshall’s work will be far more thrilling and exciting to watch with more arcs and investment on our end than the Rome battle.

113. Giantofstark
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Wastrel: Spoiler for Band of Brothers: the Germans lose!

Wow thanks

114. Epic lovely time
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Giantofstark,

Spoiler for Titanic. It sinks.

JC,

I really tried to like Marshall, despite how physically unattractive he is and how awful of a writer he is. It’s only amazing he hasn’t quit.

I sat through Dog Soilies and part of The Descent. I watched the first 30 minutes of Descent and found every single character badly written and acted. I liked the cheap woods feeling that you also get from classic horror (though the arial shots were awkward…) but I had to fast forward (something I never do) or give up right there. Sure enough the scenes become ‘claustrophobic’, girls look frightened, and a man in a batsuit runs across the screen killing girls or eating them…. Just like the cover promises. I bet someone will survive, or no one.. (I don’t know). But that’s just me, it didn’t do it for me.

I think Battle of Blackwater will be the greatest thing Marshall has ever done by a large margin–at least I hope so.

115. Epic lovely time
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Winterdark: Don’t forget to mention both completely messed up the rest of the film. Something LOTR didn’t do.

What?

116. Epic lovely time
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Horror movies have had it bad in the last 10 years. Useless remakes, unoriginal ideas, etc. Someone really should make an adaptation of House of Leaves which scared the shit out of me. At least we had a truckload of zombie movies, Raimi’s Drag Me To Hell, and QT’s Death Proof. But really.. mostly garbage.

117. JC
    Posted February 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Epic lovely time,

Hahah I do agree with you that Marshall’s strong suit is not in directing actors (which is why I wouldn’t be as up on him if he was directing other episodes), but I think The Descent is a really strong horror for the sense of claustrophobia and the sheer intensity of the last act. I think it’s a very tightly plotted idea regardless of what you think of the dialogue – with the movie working on both angles (the descent into the cave with the tension in the claustrophobia and the horror of the societal descent/breakdowns between the characters at the same time). If you watch the director’s (UK) ending, I think some people have interpreted the movie as something more cerebral than simply a cave horror movie with a psycho monster.

Also, 100% agree with you on House of Leaves. Actually funny you mention that, when I was reading that book three years ago, I was discussing with a friend about something like that and we came up with a few ideas for an ambitious little experiment somewhat inspired by it. I mean, it’s probably unlikely that it’ll actually get much (if any) press but I’m being deliberately vague regarding what exactly inspired us as my buddy along with several other friends are now in full midst of developing that into a reality (with a little bit of input from me as I’m in a different city now). I’m pretty excited about what they’re attempting though :D.

118. Praise R'hllor
    Posted February 15, 2012 at 8:57 am | Permalink

I have a very specific and epic vision of how the Blackwater plays out in my head, though I’m certain not all of it will make it to screen. One part that I would definitely like to see is a montage of shots from the closing stages of the battle (e.g. Tyrion and Pod on the Bridge of Wrecks after Mandon’s death; Tywin et al arriving; generic battle/wildfire shots) with Sansa’s song to Sandor as a kind of haunting soundtrack to the devastation and drama. The episode could then end with a shot of Sandor’s sword dropping to the floor as he leaves the room at the end of Sansa’s song.

119. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Dunk & Egg would be awesome to see on screen!
    perhaps in a couple of years, then ^^