Episode one title confirmed as “The North Remembers”
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

s2ep1-titleThe HBO.com Schedule has extended to the week of April 1st, which means we’ve got our first glimpse at an official episode title. As we previously reported, the first episode of the second season will be titled “The North Remembers.” There is no synopsis available yet, but the run time is listed as 53 minutes.

With this confirmation, we feel confident in our source’s veracity, which means the second episode title of “Nightlands” is also more or less confirmed. We’ll have to wait until next week to get a run time though. And we’ll have to wait two weeks for the episode three title (unless we hear it via an unofficial source before then). Keep an eye on our season two episode guide page as we will update the info there as it comes out.

Winter Is Coming: Man, with the first episode now showing up on HBO’s schedule, it just makes it feel that much closer. What does everyone think of this title? Too soon to use this phrase?

1. ante
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I dont think its too soon. At least now there is someone left to remeber. :D

2. Draig
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

I think it’s a great name, the fact that it’s used now will give it more resonance when it is used later in the season.

3. JakePT
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I think it’s too soon. Main reason being there’s zero indication or possibility that the North has ‘forgotten’. The phrase, when originally used, carries so much more weight given all the events that have occurred and the time that has passed.

4. Domenico Barbato
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

What if (ADWD spoiler) in this season this phrase is used as Robb’s champaign “motto” or something like that, referring to Ned? Its use in due time will be much more powerful if so – the North remembers both Ned AND Robb.

5. HERP-DERP
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I have to take my USMLE step 1 in early May…. I think it would be too risky for me to watch the first episode in April.. [I've already watched each episode of season1 like 10 times each!]

6. The Kingslayer
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Time is flying by this year, soon I’ll have my Blu Ray in my hands.

7. G_Lee
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

too soon in my opinion.

If the title is the only reference to this “motto” in the whole season I might tolarate it as a sort of “hint” on which viewers can look back in a couple of season

8. freyar_88
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

At first I thought, “no, too soon!” but the more I think about it, the better it seems. It’s relevant and when it’s used later on it will carry more weight. It’s such a great line, so I don’t think we should freak out about it coming 3 books early.

9. Daniel Moitz
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Too soon, Execut…ive Producers!

10. Chrysee
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

JakePT:

Totes agree. What is powerful about this line is how unexpected it was. Given all that has happened, how everyone has scattered, how the leaders of the northern movement are all dead or lost, there are those that hold true even though it would be safer to throw it their lot with any of the surviving factions. After AGOT, what has been lost really, besides Ned? The north is in a stronger position in the beginning of ACOK I would say. They have Robb, they are united, and they are strong. They have hope. What is yet to come is the razing of Winterfell, the elimination of the Stark line (as far as anyone is aware).. And then hope dies with Robb at the RW. What does the North have to remember now? Ned’s execution weeks ago? No. Too soon. I don’t care that this is the episode title, but if they start using the line in dialogue, I feel like it would be such a waste.

11. littlejanet
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

The title seems off to me too. I expect episode 1 to spend much time on Dragonstone, introducing Mel, Stannis, Davos and Cressen. I expected a title referencing the red god, or the true king, or the comet or something like that. But this title suggests we’ll be spending a lot more time in Robb’s camp. I’ll throw out a prediction that the sending of Theon as emissary to Pyke is a major topic of discussion, and that Roose calmly suggests it is not a good idea.

12. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Episode titles don’t mean much. I could care less if it’s used this season or used three years from now in correlation with the book it came from. “Too soon” for three words that are just a reflection of the Northerners being POed? Meh. No big.

13. Maxwell James
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I don’t have a strong opinion either way, but I do think that the title makes sense for non-readers. Yes, it’s only been a few weeks in story time, but it’s been a year for the audience. That’s probably the more important consideration for the writers.

14. kindly man
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

For the readers, way to soon. For the tv audiance its great. They were left in the north with john going beyind the wall and the problems of arya.
    So i think it hits the spot.

We need to remember that hbo is here to please their audiance and generate as much income as possible. In return, we the fans will get a lott of seasons with high budget eps. So im HAPPY

15. Mormegil
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

To be honest the title may have nothing to do with Robb’s storyline it could be something said by Osha to Bran or even by a Nights Watchman to Jon.

I was just thinking how many Season 1 titles were said in dialogue.

Eps 1 – 4 and 6 were all said in the Episodes themselves.

Ep5 The Wolf and the Lion, I don’t think this actual phrase was ever said, could be wrong.

Ep7 You win or you Die. Certainly said, probably in this episode.

Ep8 The Pointy End. Certainly said a couple of times but not in this actual episode I don’t think.

Ep9 Baelor, said in episode.

Ep10 Fire and Blood. Did Dany actually say this in the episode? I would think so but can’t recall for certain, she certainly says it in Season 2 though.

16. Hodor
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

North as in north of the wall.
    Remember as in remember the old ways, CotF, Others,…

17. Pepi
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I think it’s a good season starter. First season ended with the Seven taking a dump on the North, so I think the viewers will be more than glad to hear… that the North remembers, despite the one year wait. :)
    On the other hand… I agree, yeh… it’s too bad they didn’t save it for later. Still, the episode title doesn’t mean the phrase is worn out(asuming it doesn’t turn into a valar morghulis-like mantra). I’m sure lady Dustin will still be able to use it when time comes(if she’s cast and if the show even makes it that far)… without the words having any less impact.

18. Obsidian
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Too soon ? Depends how it’s used. But it will make sense if this is where we get any flashbacks they may have filmed…(hope, hope )

If it’s just the title , fine. If it’s spoken , but just more or less in passing , it will simply serve as foreshadowing for when it’s used in a more pointed way later on.

I wouldn’t like to see a big deal made of it though.

Re Pointy End…If memory serves ( and it doesn’t always ) I think Arya speaks it in the stableboy scene , whereas in the book , it’s used descriptively at that moment…??

19. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I’ve been waiting for this for awhile! Didn’t they last year announce the first episodes title 10 weeks before it aired and the subsequent titles every week after that? Now there’s only six weeks to go until airing.

20. Matt
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I have a general question. On the image we can see “actors” that are listed. From what I can tell, it’s usually the main cast members listed. I can’t see any new actors on that list though. When are we going to find which actors are considered “main billing” for this season? I’m sure they’ve added a few to replace the old ones.

21. KG
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Daniel Moitz,

BAAAAHAHAHA! By fire and blood be purged!

22. Astronate
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Mormegil:

I was just thinking how many Season 1 titles were said in dialogue.

Eps 1 – 4 and 6were all said in the Episodes themselves.

Ep7 You win or you Die. Certainly said, probably in this episode.

Ep9 Baelor, said in episode.

Ep 7 Cersei tells Ned “You win or you die”

Ep 8′s title came from dialogue earlier in the season

I believe the ep 10 title was taken from Pycelle’s odd monologue about kings. The episode also begins with a bloody sword and ends with a flaming funeral pyre.

Right now, the north remembers and so does everybody else. I would have preferred something more comet related and really hope no one speaks the phrase.

23. Mormegil
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Matt,

Scrolling down on the actual schedule it lists all the Season 1 Main actors that survived. No sign of any Season 2 names.

Astronate,

So all the Titles were said in dialougue then. Have to check the Arya/Stableboy scene to see if Pointy end is said in the actual episode.

24. Dreamlife
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I like this title. Ned’s execution left such a bitter taste in viewers’ mouths, so it will be good to remind them that his death/execution/murder has not been forgotten.

25. Jambo
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Astronate,

The phrase wasn’t used in episode 8. Jon said it to Arya when he gave her the sword, as the ‘first lesson’; and it was used again in episode 3, when Ned asked Arya if she knew the first thing about sword fighting.

26. The Red Wedding
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Why are some of the comments blacked out???

27. Domenico Barbato
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

The Red Wedding:
    Why are some of the comments blacked out???

Those are spoiler bars – to prevent new readers/watchers from reading what’s to come in ACoK/Season2 and further. To read them, just highlight them with the mouse.

28. Arrogant Bastard
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I somewhat agree, the titles don’t usually mean a whole lot. But then again, in the first season the titles were sometimes lines said in the actual episode. Seems too early for that phrase to me, but yeah, it’s really not a big deal. Episode 3 in the first season was called “Lord Snow” and the action was mainly in King’s Landing, not the Wall. So the title also doesn’t necessarily mean it will mainly be focused on Robb or the North either.

29. Critical Geek
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

@The Red Wedding

In fact, if you could black out your name or change it, the non spoiler version of it is RW. Nedshead was kind enough to do it before last season…

30. Robbet
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I really like it, a bit soon, but I agree that episodes titlea don’t have much importance. Yet, I still don’t like ‘Nightlands’!!

31. Ed
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I think the titles of the episode is TOTALLY insignificant. Too soon? Too late? Too cares?

I couldn’t care less what they call it. I don’t recall ever seeing an episode in any series in my 45 years of life that I noticed or thought about.

I’m just markin’ time for 42 more days!

32. wake the dragon
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

The other kingdoms have must pretty poor memory if this counts as good memory.

33. zerowolf
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Some people are getting far too precious and nit-picking here in my opinion.
    I’ve read the books but I imagine the majority of people who watch the show have not.
    HBO is producing an entertainment for them.
    If the producers followed the text slavishly Robb would be mentioned but never seen and Jaime wouldn’t really feature at all.
    The episode title will be gone in a flash.
    Get over it.

34. Jordan Healey
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

The Wolf and the Lion was actually said in the episode, by Varys to Illyrio.

I’m with the too soon crowd and lol @ execut ive producers ;), indeed.

35. Joe
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Way too soon to use the phrase!!

36. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

The Red Wedding,

That’s spoiler code you’re seeing. Highlight the text to read it. It’s generally added by the poster themself, unless a WiC admin adds it in for them if they forgot.

37. John
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Astronate: Ep 5 I believe it was said when Arya was hiding in one of the dragon skulls (Soon the wolf and the lion will be at each other’s throats)

Ep 7 Cersei tells Ned “You win or you die”

Ep 8′s title came from dialogue earlier in the season

Astronate,

This is all accurate. The only episode in which the title wasn’t explicitly mentioned was The Pointy End, and of course, we all saw that it was referenced visually. As for the episode title “The North Remembers,” sure it’s a quote from A Dance With Dragons, but I think it works fine. I certainly don’t think it’s worth getting upset about.

Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

As to Nightlands, it doesn’t resonate with me from the get go, but it should make sense after the episode, the context will provide the connection. I wasn’t that happy with calling 109 just Baelor before seeing. Then I understood why. No way we can fully judge the titles ahead of time.

39. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

John:

Ep 7 Cersei tells Ned “You win or you die”

Ep 8′s title came from dialogue earlier in the season

Astronate,

The North Remembers quote was first used by Robb in ASOS not in ADWD , but you’re right that it is more used in ADWD and I think the producers thought that since the recent book just came out last year it was cool to use one of the most memorable lines from it .

40. Rossinny
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

It’s the perfect title for episode 1. For the average TV viewer (who is quite rightly the primary target, not the book purist) it takes them straight back to the anger, indignation, sadness, pathos and thirst for revenge they would have felt when Ned was executed.

‘The North remembers’ is a threat … and for non-book readers a very exciting and immediately galvanizing one.

41. the goat
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Chrysee: Totes agree. After AGOT, what has been lost really, besides Ned? What does the North have to remember now? Ned’s execution weeks ago? No. Too soon. I don’t care that this is the episode title, but if they start using the line in dialogue, I feel like it would be such a waste.

You do realize this was one of, if not the, biggest plot twists in television history. It was kind of a big deal. So, yeah, I think they have something to remember.

Story-wise, the northmen have lost their beloved lord, murdered unjustly by a boy king. In response, they’ve raised their lost lord’s son as a king, in defiance of the throne, and, um…gone to war over it. So it certainly makes sense in context. Not to mention that Claudiu Gherganu already pointed out that the line was used before ADWD.

Was the line awesome in ADWD? Fuckin hell yeah. But guess what? If 2 or 3 people say it this year, and then we don’t hear it again til Wyman says it in Season 5, it’ll be still be fuckin awesome then.

42. Steelyuhas
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

the goat: You do realize this was one of, if not the, biggest plot twists in television history.It was kind of a big deal.So, yeah, I think they have something to remember.

Story-wise, the northmen have lost their beloved lord, murdered unjustly by a boy king.In response, they’ve raised their lost lord’s son as a king, in defiance of the throne, and, um…gone to war over it.So it certainly makes sense in context.Not to mention that Claudiu Gherganu already pointed out that the line was used before ADWD.

Was the line awesome in ADWD?Fuckin hell yeah.But guess what?If 2 or 3 people say it this year, and then we don’t hear it again til Wyman says it in Season 5, it’ll be still be fuckin awesome then.

Agreed completely with your spoiler.

43. Pink Dragon
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

They executed Ned, killed some of his staff, possibly killed his younger daughter and basically kidnapped the other, and that’s not enough to remember? Whaaaa…?

44. Ryan
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Usually when something happens in my life I don’t remember it until 4-5 seasons later.

Oh wait, I remember the entire time.

The North Remembers is the same thing as saying – we will not forget.

45. Gez
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Who cares!!?

Its just a title and as others have said its targeted at the general tv viewer. Most people could’nt care less about an episode title and would barely take note of the name until your scrolling through a dvd/blu-ray menu or downloading the show.

All that matters is that the episode is a good one.

46. Coltaine777
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Ed:
    I think the titles of the episode is TOTALLY insignificant.Too soon?Too late?Too cares?

I couldn’t care less what they call it.I don’t recall ever seeing an episode in any series in my 45 years of life that I noticed or thought about.

I’m just markin’ time for 42 more days!

I’m with you brother !!! ….

47. Zach
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James:

Exactly. It’s a great hook to get the audience back in the mood.

Also, as cool a line as it is, it’s not exactly connected to any great event or moment of cathartic vengeance or anything. Almost nothing is accomplished in DWD in connection to this line except Manderly cooking a couple of Freys into a pie. Which was cool and all but it’s ripe for early usage.

Nerd World Problems, am I right?

48. Elsweyr
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Daniel Moitz,

Hehe, nice.

49. userj
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Uhh I’m pretty sure that phrase was used well before everyone here seems to think. I believe Ned says it at one point – not sure it was a flashback or what, but it’s not specific to adwd events.

50. the goat
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 12:06 am | Permalink

userj,

Don’t think Ned ever said it, but Robb says it in SoS:

51. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Re: your name: I am halfway through ‘DeadHouse Gates’. Awesome character!

52. No-One
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 2:51 am | Permalink

I think ‚the-north-remembers‘ is a very good episode title. Especially for Only-TV-Audience who liked Ned. I think it’s also a nice episode title for book-readers, to increase their anticipation.
    But like others note, they often use the title in the episode. There must they careful, that they don’t wear this strong line out (We need it later again!). I can image that Robb say the line to Catelyn or when he offer (Alton?) Lannister peace or something likes ‘I haven’t forgotten what they had done to Father’.

But I can understand all the comments contain ‘too soon’ because we fans must take care of D & D, that they don’t screw the show only to catch more Only-TV-Audience (Yaragate!).

Overall April is coming!

53. S.R.
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 3:22 am | Permalink

How can I neutralize spoilers bars in a I pad?

54. Eirikur
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 3:27 am | Permalink

Title gate…

55. G_Lee
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 3:40 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Coltaine777,
    That book is beyond epic!! The next one is almost as good.

Re: your name: I am halfway through ‘DeadHouse Gates’. Awesome character!

56. Stannis
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 3:53 am | Permalink

They definitely should have called it ‘Stannis will Fuck you up’ or ‘Dragonstone is my crib’

57. No-One
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 3:59 am | Permalink

Stannis,

In remember of season 1 simply: Stannis is coming.

They can continue with:
    - Dragonstone
    - King Stannis
    - Onion Knights, Red Priestess and treacherous brothers
    - The smuggler and the boat
    - A burning sword
    - Stannis win or die
    - The Shadowy Babe
    - R’hllor
    - The Night is Dark and full of Terrors

58. Conor
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 4:01 am | Permalink

I honestly didn’t even know the episodes had titles.

I’ve been calling them 1×1, 1×2, 1,x3, etc….

So this doesn’t bother me, as long as the episode itself is as fantastic as season 1. :)

59. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 4:16 am | Permalink

The title is a wink to readers but it can still be relevant to the episode in this context.
    Unrelated : GoT won 2 sound editing awards :
    - Best sound editing : short form dialogue and adr in television for “Cripples Bastards and Broken Things”.
    - Best sound editing : short form sound effects and foley in television for “Winter is coming”.

Posted February 20, 2012 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Yay, great! Thanks, Fan. It’s a patch on our wounds from WGA losses :) Nominated for two, won both!

61. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 4:32 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Yes, i saw that but i only want to report good news ;)

62. stu
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Definitely not to soon to use the phrase! It gives weight to the war that comes down on the south

63. Theon Greyjoy
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 9:07 am | Permalink

It’s not too soon.

The Warden of the North was murdered.

The North remembers this heinous injustice.

Go figure.

64. userj
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

the goat,

Ah! Great, thanks for the reference. I just think everyone crying “too soon!” only remember the aDwD quote because their memories from aDwD are so much fresher. Here (aSoS) Robb is specifically talking about sons remembering fathers’ deaths, so in my opinion it couldn’t be more appropriate.

65. Coltaine777
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Coltaine777,

Re: your name: I am halfway through ‘DeadHouse Gates’. Awesome character!

Thankyou my friend..he’s one of my alltime favourite characters…I use to love the Malazan series before it went off the rails imo…

66. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Coltaine777,

Went off the rails? Really??? Should I even bother to keep reading?

67. Coltaine777
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Coltaine777,

Went off the rails? Really??? Should I even bother to keep reading?

Yes I think you should keep reading because many Erikson fans don’t agree with me, but then again many do..the series started to lose me after book 5, for me the series unravelled and lost focus…I’ve given up on it …

68. Ed
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Copy the text and take it over to Notepad. Paste and voila!

S.R.:
    Howcan I neutralize spoilers bars in a I pad?

69. Prankster
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t see the problem with using it, since I always assumed it was a saying, like “Winter is Coming”, that presumably has been around for ages. The characters didn’t just start using it around the time of ADWD. This way it’s been “seeded” in to the world and will take on extra power when it’s used later.

70. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

True. I will have to judge for myself. That’s the one problem with the internet, everyone’s opinion is out there that you don’t know which one to trust. Ultimately it’s just you.

71. S.R.
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Ed,

Tank you, very much.

72. Yollo
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Critical Geek,

Actually, The Red Wedding is referred to as such AFTER it takes place. Right now and for people who haven’t read the books the red wedding could be anything.
    He’s not giving away any details by using the complete “name”.

Back on topic, the title doesn’t make much sense to me, given the fact that it’s a phrase uttered by a character well in ADWD…in any case, does the north really remember? After the Red Wedding all I see is a bunch of Freys and Boltons just chilling out and no toll is being exacted from their treason… SO I ask, DOES THE NORTH REMEMBER? Not as far as I can tell… I hope when one of the Stark children finally returns to winterfell, the north will REALLY remember.

73. Valyrian
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

@Yollo

When the line is said in a ADWD, it is not referring to Freys, Boltons and the like. When Wyman says it he is referring to himself and to others who are still loyal to the Starks, like the clan leaders who join stannis, the smallfolk who still worship Ned and feel for his children as they would their own. The way I read it, he doesn’t consider the Boltons true northmen, since in his eyes they have no honor. Surely, he is not a northman for blood, but he is in his loyalty and gratitude, and he certainly considers the Freys ANYTHING but northmen. I think that now, when there is no hope, all they can do is remember, but when one of the Stark children finally returns to Winterfell the north will most likely take revenge instead of just sit “remembering”.

74. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I’ll just wait and see. and it doens’t matter much the title of the episode. what matters is that’s coming closer and closer!

1. [...] more character posters on the official GOT HBO site.Onto the second piece of news, GOT fan site Winter Is Coming is reporting that the title of the first episode of season 2 will be ‘The North [...]