Atlus offers bonus art book, free with pre-orders of game from select retailers
By Winter Is Coming on in Merchandise.

Game of Thrones RPG Art Book

Atlus, the US publisher for the upcoming Game of Thrones RPG, has just announced that they are offering a free artbook with pre-orders of the game. This offer is for a limited time and only through select retailers. Atlus describes the book thusly:

One of ATLUS’ finest bonuses to date, offering sixty-four full color pages of sketches, renders, photos, and screenshots from the game accompanied by compelling text and commentary from the game’s developers. The book will also include rare behind the scenes materials, like a portrait of the development team signed with a special message from author George R. R. Martin himself. The art book–measuring 8.5″ wide and 11″ tall–is hardbound, meticulously composed, and printed on premium stock, a true labor of love worthy of the series and its fans.

“‘Game of Thrones: Visuals from the RPG’ represents one of the most elaborate, expensive bonuses we have ever offered,” commented Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at ATLUS. “Everything about this premium art book is above and beyond the typical pre-order bonus, and all at no additional cost to the customer. Its larger dimensions, page count, hardcover binding, and exceptional print quality are more in line with what fans would expect from a Deluxe Edition extra or a separate purchase, which is why it will only be available at select retailers and quantities will be extremely limited. The A Song of Ice and Fire series of books and the Game of Thrones TV series are as special to us as they are to the millions of fans around the world; we are thrilled we can offer this unique bonus to complement the first major video game release based on the franchise.”

Winter Is Coming: This is actually really cool. A nice bonus not just for those who may be fans of the game but also people (like me) who enjoy Song of Ice and Fire art.

1. Critical Geek
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

The best thing about rpg books tends to be the fleshing out of the world rather than anything actually game related.

2. Thomas Krist
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Is this game not coming out on the PC? What a let down.

3. Coltaine777
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

What a great bonus to have, God I hope they ship to Canada ! ….

4. Mirax
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Thomas Krist: Is this game not coming out on the PC? What a let down.

5. Jerod Baratheon
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

is that a sketch of Whoresbane Umber? If so, way cool..

6. Matt Chung
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

OT, but did anyone catch that GoT reference to Xaro Xhoan Daxos last night on 30 Rock?

7. Thomas Krist
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:07 am | Permalink

Mirax: It doesn’t show it in the pic, but I went to the site and there is definitely going to be a PC version of the game. :D

There is a PC logo at the bottom of this page – http://www.gameofthrones-thegame.com/purchase.html, but there doesn’t seem to be any preorder option anywhere for a PC version.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Matt Chung:

No! Do tell.

9. Matt Chung
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Lex,

A character who was a guest star made a reference to it when he tried to seduce Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) using a dummy product called “XARO” then said something along the lines of “That’s why it’s called XARO… in Game of Thrones, Xaro is a rich merchant prince who wishes to acquaint himself with… the mother of dragons [Liz].”

10. LoF
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:40 am | Permalink

Looks like good bathroom reading!

11. spacechampion
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:51 am | Permalink

That was an awesome GOT reference on 30 Rock. I bet it was Amy Poehler who got Tina Fey into the books/show.

12. OGTargaryen
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Ive have been on a lot of websites researching this game for a long time now, the last game cyanide studios (who is making this game, atlus is just publisher) was GoT: Genesis….which was awful (not just rewviews, I personally played the game)… if Genesis was any indication this game will be horrible as well. GoT deserves to have quality games created using its universe, atlus/cyanide is just cashing in on the popularity of the show. It’s quite sad really. So much potential for fantastic games. art book would be only reason to make purchase.

13. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 5:04 am | Permalink

OGTargaryen,

Game of thrones has been adapted as a TV show, if the past of the genre in this medium is any indication the show should have been awful.
    Genesis wasn’t so bad, they just pushed it on the market too soon without polishing it but it was one of the more original strategy game i have seen in years, and if games have to be made in the got universe i’ll take strong story-telling and originality over good graphics any day.
    The rpg is developped by cyanide France when Genesis was entirely developed by the Canadian team, not the same devs, not the same script writers, not the same involvment with Martin/Westeros.. So in fact, it’s not the same studio.

14. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Agreed. It’s the same developer and shares some of the same marketing/publishing/QA people as GENESIS, but the people who worked day-to-day on the game will be completely different.

I am moderately hopeful that the game will be a lot better. However, a major cause of concern is the translation, as so far a lot of the dialogue in the game has sounded rough as hell.

15. Kaeth
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:15 am | Permalink

This game is a wait and see buy for me just because I bought genesis right away and was so disapointed.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Kaeth,

Yeah, tell me about it :/

17. Dblvajra
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

This game does not appear to be high quality. The graphics and the animation look quite dated. It will be another sub-standard licensed game, sad to say. With such great material to work with, they should spend the money and make a great game.

18. Daniel Moitz
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

select retailers

Sooo… US-only, right? -.-

*edit* ok, found my way to the purchase page thanks to a comment here (couldn’t find that on the actual website) and Amazon is mentioned… they do ship internationally, right? :P

19. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

For a game coming out in less than 3 months, it’s a bit odd it has no listing on Amazon UK.

20. Violentos
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Ya, it really does feel like they’re rushing to get this game out while the show is still hot. I really wish they would take more time, even if it ended up being 3 or 4 years time and spent more funds into making this a fantastic game. As things stand right now, it’s not looking for hopeful in becoming a great game.

21. SillyMammo
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Good RPGs are very hard to make that’s why Bethesda and BioWare have such a strong following. I’d like to think this game will be good, but I’m very skeptical.

22. OGTargaryen
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

ASOIAF Fan,

I pray that you are right. The reason genisis was not polished was that they wanted to capitalize on the shows popularity. They coud have made a fantastic game, genesis did have a very unique style of gameplay, however, it was agonizingly boring. I also said nothing about graphics, that does not matter to me in the least, I still play Mount and Blade which has horrid graphics but fantastic gameplay. I am hoping for a good GoT rpg but the last trailer they released showed nothing. It just lloks like another sub-par rpg based in a made up world. I saw no familiar places, banners, castles, nothing. I am not being a hater but if you look at what cyanide has created prior to genesis you will see they have never undertook anything of this magnitude, (cycling sims? really?) and GRRM did have a lot to do with the creation of genesis, but he is a writer not a game developer. ASOIAF needs a proven developer with a great track record who can keep true to the books while making a game with great gameplay. Maybe they will pull it off, but with a May release and almost no information about the game mechanics, story, etc it’s not looking good. Like I stated before, GRRM’s universe deserves a quality game at some point.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Adam Whitehead:

Yeah, I don’t know what is up with that. I know Focus Home is handling the publishing in Europe and for some reason they aren’t really pushing the game at all.

Violentos:

The game has been in development for 3 years already, since May 2009. If they were going to rush the game to coincide with the series’ popularity they would have published it back around the time season one ended and ADWD was topping best-seller lists the world over.

24. Arristan the Old
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Matt Chung,

Yeah, that was a nice little GoT reference (but not totally appropriate since the guy was trying to bed Liz & doesn’t Xaro prefer boys?) I am hoping a clip will show up on Youtube so I can show it to friends & fello ASoIaF fans…

Anyhow the episode also featured a caged Ewok, lyrics to the Mos Eisley cantina song, and a brief discussion of the mating habits of Avatar’s Na’vi. Are they sharing a timeslot with Big Bang Theory or something? And the fake Jim Carrey LeapDay beloved classic holiday movie clips were a hoot as well.

Back on-topic, yes there will be a PC version of this game, but based on all this I would guess you have to be a console gamer to get the art book. As for quality issues compared to Genesis, there is a cool interview with someone from the RPG team in France which addresses this concern to some extent: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/a-song-of-ice-and-fire/1218619p1.html?RSSwhen2012-02-14_113000=&RSSid=1218619&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Personally, I can live with maybe not having to buy a new computer to be able to enjoy this game, so slightly outdated graphics aren’t a big downer to me (though I will probably get the PS3 version anyhow)

25. Arristan the Old
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Jerod Baratheon,

I don’t think that is Whoresbane. You mean becuse it says “Mors” on one of the pages we can see? Isn’t Mors Umber the one who’s called Crowfood anyhow? I think Hother is Whoresbane. But in any case, even if I am wrong, I’m pretty sure Mors is also the name of one of the playable characters invented for the RPG; that’s probably him, a brother of the night’s watch and a warg with a pet dog. the other one is a red priest and I can’t remember his name.

26. vianney
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Mors Westford.
    If you follow the link you can preview quite a few pages of the book.
    And yes, I’m wondering too about the PC version not being linked anywhere.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Matt Chung:
    Lex,

Wow! So mad that I missed it (I’ve fallen behind in 30 Rock), that would have made my night.

28. stevelabny
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

I locked my pre-order in on Amazon when they had the price for $45.00 so I’m a happy camper :-D

29. singapura
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

An RPG of GOT is very tricky. If you keep faithful to the books there should be raping, sex, pillaging and lots of blood in it. This would make it almost unsellable and I’m not even sure if I would want to play a game like that. Any cleaning up would make the game just like any other RPG which would miss the whole point that makes GOT different. I’d rather play Skyrim in that case because I know that was made by a seasoned team with a track record.

30. Thiago Slash