Interview with Isaac Hempstead Wright
By Hear Me Roar on in Press.

ScienceFiction.com has conducted an interview with Isaac Hempstead Wright, also known as Bran Stark (or Isaac Bran Flakes on Twitter, for that mattter). Two sample questions follow, including one concerning the take on the direwolves in season two. Click the link for the full interview, and read about how sorry Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was to shove Isaac out of the window, Bran’s interest in moviemaking, and a funny incident during the shooting of the archery scene (recounted already at TitanCon from the perspective of Maisie Williams).

How different in personality is Bran from yourself? What brought you to the role? Is it hard to get into character? At the start he’s a fairly typical ten year old, so not that different from me. Unfortunately, life has some cruel things in store for Bran and he has to endure some extreme hardships. I can’t begin to imagine what it’s really like to lose your family, the use of your legs, and all your security so I’m not sure it’s possible to get completely into his character. But I think he’s strong and intelligent and has a good survival instinct, and a good friend in Hodor!

What is it like working with the dogs? With them being CGI this season, was that a difficult change?

It’s been really cool working with the dogs. The puppies in the direwolf scene were very sweet, and I really wanted to take one home with me. My grown up wolf is called Elsa and she is beautiful. She was still on set this season I’m glad to say. So it hasn’t been a huge change with the CGI additions.

Hear Me Roar: As was the case with the Rory McCann interview yesterday, hearing from some of the actors that have been in the limelight a bit less is always interesting. I believe this is Isaac’s first GoT interview. Concerning the direwolves, I would speculate that a combination of real animals and CGI enhancements bodes well for the realism of those beasts. Your thoughts on the interview?

1. GrzebykK
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:34 am | Permalink

First?
    Gee. Listening to Isaac is like listening to my son.
    I’d have never expect to hear from young boy statement like “I’ll back to this when I’m older”.

2. Frank
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:36 am | Permalink

@First: How cares if you are first or not?

3. Ian Hannaway
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

“Hodor!” said Hodor

4. Faboamanto
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:43 am | Permalink

He is very wise for such a very young man! What a lovely interview, look forward to seeing more of Bran and Hodor in Season 2.

5. Pink Dragon
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Ugh, I want to adopt him.

6. Jillian
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Pink Dragon: Ugh, I want to adopt him.

I know right? And the adorable photo put up with this post adds to the adoptableness. However, it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and a strong family surrounding him already.

7. Matt Chung
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:29 am | Permalink

I love Isaac! Can’t wait to see how he handles the later seasons.

8. Jess
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

gosh I’m constantly amazed by how articulate and mature “Game” kids are. On the other hand, we have grown adults like Kristen Stewart who can’t act or even talk like a normal human being yet gets idolized by millions of young people… *facepalm*

9. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

He sounds like a very smart young man with a bright future ahead of him.

In other news, there was a GoT reference (actually from ACOK) on 30 Rock yesterday.

10. Knurk
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Jess:
    gosh I’m constantly amazed by how articulate and mature “Game” kids are.On the other hand, we have grown adults like Kristen Stewart who can’t act or even talk like a normal human being yet gets idolized by millions of young people… *facepalm*

11. Fann
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

The kids on this show have been great. Thank you for the Bran interview; he is articulate and i love the fact that he wants to be behind the camera and invested in gear!
    I really want to see a Jack Gleeson interview (Joffery the little sh*t) but i am really interested :)

12. Pink Dragon
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Knurk: lol what? I guess you’ve only seen her in Twilight. Why is it when someone is praised someone else has to be shot down?

Slightly OT, but:

I’ve actually watched enough interviews with her (late-night talk show fan here) to know she is completely insipid. She literally acts like she’s addicted to painkillers.

13. Hollyoak
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Isaac is great and I have always thought he was overlooked in the acting accolades thrown upon other cast members. My favorite scene is when Maester Luwin is giving him a lesson on the Houses of Westeros. Isaac is really great in that. Also, the scene in episode one, where he is talking to Ned after the execution.

14. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Pink Dragon: Slightly OT, but:

I saw her in Adventureland, she had that completely vacant emotionless stare throughout the entire movie (though even with her, the movie is very good).

15. alex
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Alexander Dubrovsky,

that’s when you know something is popular! when it gets referenced by popular american tv shows.
    i think The Simpsons and TBBT already had some references about ASOIAF earlier during their current season. it must be so good to be GRRM right now…

16. compson
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Did anyone catch the Xaro joke on 30 Rock last night? Somebody on their writing staff is a fan.

17. Chris
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Ten years old?
    Can he really be that articulate and literate?
    Can’t say I’m disappointed about a ten year old NOT reading AGOT …inappropriate!
    But he says he found it “daunting?”
    “Daunting?”
    I may have to give my six year old a tougher reading list!

18. northremembers
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Well, to be honest I’m still waiting for that Isaac-wic.net interview from the first season … (remember that awesome long interviews with Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams? Just saying…)

19. Magnus
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Chris,

twelve.

20. dimensionallyt
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

It is hardly surprising he is that articulate. Children who spend a lot of time around articulate adults without being talked down to usually are.

Watching Bran’s arc this season is going to hurt like a biatch.

21. sjwenings
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Great actor and great interviewie(?).

So far i’ve generally enjoyed the interviews with the less experienced actors the most. They usually share more about themselves and come off as a bit more “real” than the others – and Isaac is no exeption. Looking forward to hearing more from him. And of course, see him in future seasons.

22. GrzebykK
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Frank:
    @First: How cares if you are first or not?

But who cares who cares?

23. Darkenmal
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a twelve year old that would be actually kind of cool to hang out with.

Who knew?! :P

Edit: Er, in hindsight that sounded really creepy. Sorry guys.

24. andrea
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

lovely lovely boy.

25. Bro
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Chris:
    Ten years old?
    Can he really be that articulate and literate?
    But he says he found it “daunting?”
    “Daunting?”
    I may have to give my six year old a tougher reading list!

Somehow I think his mum gave him some help. Just comes across that way to me…

26. Dreamlife
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

He is such a great actor and seems like a very smart and intuitive young man. He was so good in season 1 and I love that he really “gets” his character. I hope he gets more screen time in season 2. From an interview with Kristian Nairn, it seems the 2nd season will focus on Bran/Hodor more than in the books. I hope that’s true.

Oh, and I look forward to seeing the CGI direwolves.

27. mummer
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Bro,
    I wouldn’t assume that. I’ve known bookish twelve-year-olds who talked exactly like Isaac, at least when trying to make a good impression on an adult; I was one myself.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Isaac is awesome. That is all.

29. the goat
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Aww, they didn’t ask him what its like working with a three-eyed crow. Sounds like a great kid, though, and he’s a terrific actor.

30. Ash
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Jess:

31. ASoIaF Fan
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
  32. Arthur
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

OMG! I can not wait to see my imagination from reading the books come alive seeing the Dire Wolves… To me those Dire Wolves are a huge part of what makes the Starks special. I believe they were giving to the Starks as a gift from the Old Gods to try to even the playing field.

As R’hllor and the unnamed evil cold god who breaths life into The Others have their battle, the Old Gods through the Starks and their Dire Wolves will have their say….

I also truley believe Bran will end up being one of the most powerful characters. He will be almost like a god of nature and his skin changing powers will allow him to take control of one of Daenerys dragons.

It will be intense as the POV characters we have grown to love cross paths. And knowing how Martin puts his characters in control of the encounters it will be very sad as they kill each other, each for their own reason and from their POV the killing will be justified…

I pray the Starks and Daenerys form an alliance…..

33. Steven Swanson
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Ash: Totally agree with you here, can you imagine Kirsten Stewart in a later season of GOT?!!!!!! Who would she play

Hodor’s slightly more attractive cousin, she’ll be introduced in book 6.

34. Hollyoak
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    OMG!I can not wait to see my imagination from reading the books come alive seeing the Dire Wolves…To me those Dire Wolves are a huge part of what makes the Starks special.I believe they were giving to the Starks as a gift from the Old Gods to try to even the playing field.

I also truley believe Bran will end up being one of the most powerful characters.He will be almost like a god of nature and his skin changing powers will allow him to take control of one of Daenerys dragons.

It will be intense as the POV characters we have grown to love cross paths.And knowing how Martin puts his characters in control of the encounters it will be very sad as they kill each other, each for their own reason and from their POV the killing will be justified…

I pray the Starks and Daenerys form an alliance…..

Nice stuff, Arthur. I like the passion of your post!

35. vianney
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

That excerpt was more than a bit spoilerish actually (losing family/security, having only Hodor left…)

36. Jacob_M
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

ASoIaF Fan,

That very same (full) interview with Nikolaj at the source:

37. Langkard
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

We hit the jackpot when it comes to the amazing children who have taken up these roles.

38. The Rabbit
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

This interview really made my day today.
    Isaac is very cool kid.

Now, going to have some sleep and see what would happen in the morning with HBOGo only trailer.

39. the goat
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

vianney,

I think he meant that his whole family (except of course, the One True King of Westeros, Rickon!) has left Winterfell, but yeah, it comes off as pretty spoilery to anyone who’s read the books.

Posted February 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

Me too, sleep well! :)

41. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Loving the flood of news! This’ll keep me going for the next month and a bit. :)

42. littlejanet
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

I wonder if in season 2 they will start showing wolf dreams for Bran or any of the other Stark chilcren?

Isaak is way cool.

BTW, I think Kristin Stewart is Alys Karstark.

43. lonas
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

CGI Direwolfs? So they will be biger this season. Thats great couse they sure have a lot to do specially Summer and later Ghost. Will be interesting to see Grey wind getting weary and Nymeria…mmmmm we know youre there in the Riverlands

44. littlejanet
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

lonas,

What about Shaggydog? Rickon gets no respect.

45. lonas
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

littlejanet Shaggydog and Rickon still have their part to play, but right now Rickon is very young and lacks of discipline wich reflects on Shaggydog, who knows Osha is taking good care of that, anyway Davos will get Rickon back and in time he will be lord of Winterfell. Happy :-)

46. littlejanet
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

lonas,

I think that, since the Reeds have not been cast, we may get to see more of Shaggydog and Rickon that we see in the book. The archetype of Rickon as the feral child is interesting, and I look forward to meeting him again in tWoW. I was just speculating to my husband yesterday that I think the cannibals on Skagos are going to immediately recognize Rickon as a warg and bring him to their skinchanger shaman, who Rickon will introduce to Bran and Bloodraven through the trees. After that, the Skagosi will revere Rickon like a demigod, and follow him into battle for the north.

47. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

littlejanet,

If she learns how to act and not look like she has dung under her nose all the time haha. I really don’t like her, and no It’s not because I’m a Twilight hater.

48. Lana
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

I am utterly enamoured with this boy – reminds me of my nephew in his precocity. They are airing the first season of GOT (yet again), and just today I was watching episode 5 where Bran has the scene with Maester Luwin quizzing him on the different sigils and mottos of the great houses, and I was once again dazzled by Isaac’s nuanced performance – actors thrice his age rarely achieve its equal. I can’t wait to see where he takes the character in season 2 and beyond.

49. Ash
    Posted February 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Kirsten Stewart, as lady hornwood, so she can be locked in a dungeon n left there lol!!!

50. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Was acting something you always wanted to do?

I never planned on acting. I only joined a drama club because it got me out of playing football on wintry Saturday mornings. I was very lucky to get the role of Bran. My mum said I could only do 6 auditions. I got one advert and GoT came in sixth.”

ahuahua nice to know!

also

11. Have you read all or some of the books? Is there a particular scene you’re looking forward to or one you’re already dreading?

Brienne

well said, Nikolai, well said.