HBO releases first in a series of season two “fan posters”
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing, Media.

HBO has published, via the Game of Thrones Twitter and Facebook page, the first in a series of “fan posters.” This one features the Stark sigil splattered in blood on what could be direwolf fur accompanied with the phrase “The North Remembers.”

Season Two Stark Fan Poster "The North Remembers"

Winter Is Coming: Now that is hot. A simple design but evocative and effective. I’m interested to see the rest of these “fan posters.” And, of course, I still really want to see the official season two poster. It should be out any day now as the HBO tie-in edition of A Clash of Kings is set to release in exactly one week and that will likely feature the official poster as the cover. So HBO has to release the art soon or risk it leaking again.

Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Yeah, that’s pretty good (and I usually don’t like fan-made art very much). I like how it looks like fur, spattered with rusty red blood.

2. Rukie44
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Sweet design. Is there going to be one for each house? I could just imagine, say, a krakken made of sea foam on a dark sea. Or a three-headed dragon burned into the sand. Or a stag drawn up in flower petals. Ooh, or maybe a Lion done with green fire!

Someone please take these ideas! Now I want to see them done.

3. userj
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Looks cool. Sigils and flags should use blood as paint more often. Hehe.

Confused what they mean by “fan posters” though? Are they fan-made? Or for fans? i dun get it.

4. schmeis
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Since they’re not giving a name of the fan that created it, I’m assuming these are posters for fans and not by them?

Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Lex,
    userj,

I believe they are made for fans, not by fans. In other words, you won’t see these posters used in traditional media like on billboards or in print. They are strictly for fans to share online to help build buzz for S2. :)

6. Steelyuhas
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

That makes sense. Looks very much like one of their official posters to be fan-made. (Not that fan-made posters can’t be great.)

Very curious to see what they go for on the official S2 Poster.

7. tumblefell
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I really like it but I can’t help but think that the bloody direwolf on fur is an arresting enough image without The North Remembers above it. Can’t wait to see the others

Rukie44,

Love those ideas – the stag drawn up in flower petals? HA! Yes.

8. Jess
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Love it! I was thinking they’ll wait to use that line until after Red Wedding (so maybe season 4?) but hey, works great here as well. #re-readingACOK

9. Righteous In Wrath
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Pretty hot. Can’t wait for the others!

10. Lina
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

This really ties everything together. It’s similar enough to S1 materials (the familiar direwolf sigil), evocative of what happened in S1 (clearly reminds us of Ned’s death), and exciting enough to build hype for S2 (the blood, thoughts of war, Robb’s campaign, etc.). Great job!

11. Macha
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Loving this design! Now I’m just gonna wait here patiently for the others *cough fiery heart cough*. Ok, not so patiently.

12. Two Feathers
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Love this. Bloody wolfs head = “Ned Stark”.

13. David the Grey
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Love the design, the fur provides awesome imagined texture.

OT, this may have been posted by someone else, but I just found out that Random House Audio is putting out A Storm Of Swords and A Feast For Crows on Audio CD. I was looking for these last year, and they were unavailable. According to Amazon.com, they’ll be released on March 27th, 2012.

Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I shared this photo, and a friend commented “SEAN BEAN SEAN BEAN SEAN BEAN!” I asked if he’d finished watching Season 1 yet, and he said “No, I got up to the episode where buddy got stabbed in the eye.” I guess he’s looking forward to seeing Sean Bean in Season 2, LOL.

15. Pepi
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

A bloodied direwolf(‘s head) for Starks. I think it’s good.
    Now we need a chained(or caged) lion(on a yellow fur) for Lannisters. And a bloodied stag’s head(or just antlers), with two smaller stags rampant on each side, facing each other, for Baratheons. :D

16. userj
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Jess:
    Love it!I was thinking they’ll wait to use that line until after Red Wedding (so maybe season 4?) but hey, works great here as well.#re-readingACOK

As has been mentioned before, that line was first used in aSoS (by Robb). It predates The Red Wedding in the book as well.

17. loco73
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

ATTENTION, ATTENTION, ATTENTION, “Game Of Thrones” Fans (especially Canadian ones), apparently HBO Canada, celebrating the release of “Season Two”, will be bringing to Canada, “Game Of Thrones: The Exhibition”, to run from March 9 to March 18, 2012. I don’t know if it will be available in several Canadian cities or just Toronto. Included are replicas of the Iron Throne (upon which visitors can sit their royal arses and have a picture taken), Melissandre’s dress (at least one of them), plus other props from Season One and Season Two, as well as pictures etc. Admission is free, so the free tickets can be reserved over the phone or in person. Below I included several links to the exhibit…enjoy! The even will be held at the Tiff (Toronto International Film Festival) Bell Lightbox, which is the current headquarters of the film festival. George RR Martin will be there on March 12 for a Q&A and a book signing…

For more info just google the damn thing….oh and by the way the two George RR Martin attended events/workshop are already sold out…

18. Steve
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Let’s get a Stannis Baratheon sigil done. I need a new wallpaper. :P

Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

loco73,

Aw, man! I hope it comes to Vancouver.

I also want my hardcovers signed by GRRM (he signed my paperbacks 6 years ago, but skipped Vancouver on the latest book tour).

20. Robbet
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Love the poster, really really good teaser to what may happen in S2!!! I suppose no one knows when the next posters will be released… HBO is doing a terrific job, the trailers and the posters (that are simple but also teasing) are just amazing!! :)

21. Lina
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Hey Winter, do you know if HBO is setting out Season 2 props like they did last year with Season 1? I haven’t been down to the shop to check it out, and I haven’t heard anything, but I figured maybe you had.

22. Mormegil
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I wonder if these fan posters will each feature an episode title?

If so the next one will be The Night Lands.

Posted February 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Lina:
    Hey Winter, do you know if HBO is setting out Season 2 props like they did last year with Season 1?I haven’t been down to the shop to check it out, and I haven’t heard anything, but I figured maybe you had.

I haven’t heard anything yet either. I’m sure once something goes up, I will hear about it though and I will be sure to let everyone know. :)

24. Daniel Moitz
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I hope this will be available as an actual poster print someday…

Two Feathers:
    Love this. Bloody wolfs head = “Ned Stark”.

Oh, the innocence…

25. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Pretty cool poster. Between these fan posters, all of the cast/crew interviews, and the two latest trailers, HBO is doing a commendable job marketing the second season. Now I’m just waiting for that 16 minute making-of to be released on the 2nd of March. Should placate me until the Blu-Ray drops.

Posted February 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Pastor_of_Muppets, unfortunately that won’t be airing now. It disappeared from the schedule a week or so ago and I confirmed with HBO recently that it won’t be returning.

27. XenkanMonk
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Effective. Me like. This is the best poster so far.

28. Mirri Maz
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Love the poster, simple and very effective.

Winter Is Coming:

Oh i’m glad they won’t be releasing it because there’s no way i’m not going to watch it but at the same time i really want to surprised when the season starts and not know how everything looks.

29. Dave
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Get a vid capture on his reaction at the end of Baelor, if you can. It might be a little mean, but come on, I know I’m not the only book reader, who enjoyed the reactions for those who haven’t read the series when that episode ended.

30. Igor Veloso
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I like it how it looks like a wolf was “tatooed” with blood in a wolf fur. :)

31. Michael Harper
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

It’d be great if this is how the episode titles were all revealed officially!

32. Michael Harper
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:

33. Restore The Day
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Lex,

That is so sad and awesome at the same time! He’s fully enjoying it :D

34. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Thanks, good to know. Honestly, I’m not too disappointed about it, considering the barrage of information we’ve been getting these last two weeks, but I did greatly enjoy the 20 (or so) minute preview for the first season we got last year… Oh well, almost less than a month to the premiere! Huzzah!

35. Coltaine777
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Michael Harper: So, we’re not getting the 16 minute behind the scenes video now? Or, have I read that wrong?

It seems to me you’ve read it right , but what do I know ? other than I’m bitterly disappointed and HBO should’nt tease the fans like this !!! ..as our British compadres sometimes say ” I’m not a happy bunny right now ” …

36. Faceless
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Maybe we will get a fan poster of Jaqen

37. Dreamlife
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

I love this poster. The image says everything, but the the phrase is too good to not use. I like the ideas people are throwing out about the other houses. I can’t wait to see more posters.

Honestly, I’m OK with them not airing that behind the scenes feature. I was looking forward to it, but it’s not the end of the world. Now if they decided to change the premier date, oooh boy, I’d be pissed.

38. Michael Harper
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Perhaos when HBO say they’re not airing it, that it just won’t be showing up on TV. But, may appear online.

39. Andrew
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

40. G_Lee
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink

So cool!! It’s been my Desktop background since the minute hbo postet it on facebook!

41. GrzebykK
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:11 am | Permalink

Jess:

It’s way too awesome to wait till season 4, but my first thought was Red Wedding too.

42. rad
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Completely OT, but got an e-mail from Play.com to say my GOT blu-ray has been dispatched!!! Will be waiting on tenterhooks for the postman!

43. garyd
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink

rad,

Just checked my emails mate and my game of thrones on bluray was dispatched this morning as well from play.com. I have pre-orderd dvd’s before from play and recieved them before the official release date. Will be looking forward to the postman coming each day!!

44. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I can’t find any more info about it yet but GOT has been nominated for 4 Saturns awards behind breaking bad (6) and american horror story (5).

45. Jen@House Stark
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Hear, hear! The king in the North! I have read the whole series, but still, winter is coming!

Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Thanks, FAN! we’re tracking it. Best series (10 eps or fewer), best actor (Bean), actress (Headey), supporting actor (Kit Harington).

Also, bastard Play.com! I’m still waiting :D

47. rad
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

HMR-maybe they dispatched to UK customers first-makes a nice change :D

48. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

strong and simple. the way it should be!

49. thomas
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

It’s way, way too early for this tagline.

Posted March 1, 2012 at 3:25 am | Permalink

thomas,

Well, I orderd from Amazon.co.uk, so also UK. I demand equal treatment :D

51. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I like how the fur effect on the poster looks- the fur goes in different directions, like it’s on a living animal. That could have been stencilled on Grey Wind! :)

52. Mormegil
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Andrew: Any way to get this into a twitter background?? I tried to but it says there is too much data, it needs to be shrunk under 800kb

Smaller version here (about 500k)

53. KINGSLAYER
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:59 am | Permalink

Does anyone have any idea when HBO will release the next one?

1. [...] HBO hat das erste einer Reihe von Game of Thrones Season 2 Fan Poster veröffentlicht. [...]

2. [...] Maknete krnunu, dodate čekić… Uglavnom, poster je objavio EW, a HBO je par dana ranije objavio prvi u nizu postera koje su radili obožavatelji. Naći ćete ga ispod službenog, a njegova glavna tema je kuća Stark [...]