Official season two poster revealed!
By Winter Is Coming on in Marketing.

Sky Atlantic has posted this art in their Game of Thrones season two picture gallery, alongside some of the publicity stills and the “fan poster” we posted yesterday. Is this the official season two poster? UPDATE: James Hibberd of EW has posted the official poster and, yup, it is the one leaked earlier today, only uncropped. Here is the full version:

Game of Thrones Official S2 Poster

Winter Is Coming: I think this might be the official poster. It goes well with the tease art revealed earlier. If so, I’m surprised they went with a poster that doesn’t display any of the cast. But it is a cool image that shows that, in this season, the crown is up for grabs. What does everyone else think?

[Hat tip to Fuck Yeah Winterfell for the find!]

UPDATE: Booksellers are reporting that this is the cover art for the HBO tie-in edition of A Clash of Kings, lending further credence to the idea that this is the official poster.

1. Knurk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Hmmm not as powerful as last year’s one, but then what would be?

What’s up with all the scars, is it representing someone?

2. Nick Larter
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink

It’s a happy-clappy tambourine!

3. Hilda
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Hmmm,kinda cool! Understated,diffrent! Thats all I got!

4. Antioch
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Don’t like it at all! So many characters and they don’t use any? I could’ve sworn we’d see something about the “War of the Five Kings”, especially after it was mentioned in the latest trailer. Or at least Tyrion as Hand of the King.

5. G_Lee
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

I really hate to complain, but I don’t like it. The bloody direwolve is a thousand times better.
    That arm/hand just looks sort of ridiculous.

6. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

That’s stupid, a crown doesn’t growl with its mouth open.

7. Elena Amici
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

i think it looks good, but i really hate that title font. That color is completely out of place in the poster, and the writing is too close to the edge of the poster. If they can fix that messy upper part, I think I might actually like it a lot

8. Magnus
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

I like it! It depicts exactly what the season is about, with the silhouettes of soldiers fighting and all.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Elena Amici:

I think this is due to Sky Atlantic cropping it to fit it into their photo viewer. You can see they did the same for the “North Remembers” poster.

10. tumblefell
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Saw it earlier this morning and still don’t know how I feel about it…

11. wyvernwood
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

I like it.

Strong image, and it reflects the struggle at the heart of S2 – it also plays with an almost furnace intensity of fire in colour and sparks – a clue on what is to come ?

I think it is stronger as an image than Ned on the iron throne (which was great as a picture, but perhaps less grabbing) – or Daenerys + horse (which always looked a bit Mills and Boon to me).

Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Somehow I feel it’s works slightly better as a book cover, rather than a poster
    but no complaints, really. Once we see the official image file (as discussed just above), it should be great. Hard to beat the first year’s one, anyway.

13. Ser Jean-Ralphio
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Whose crown is that supposed to be ? Looking at the stills we have so far, Renly’s is full of antlers, Joffrey’s seems more detailed, and it definetly doesn’t look like a crown Robb will wear. Is it Stannis’ ?

14. No-One
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea:
    That’s stupid, a crown doesn’t growl with its mouth open.

brilliant

15. CerpinTaxt
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I don’t like it either.. Looks kinda cheap and not consistent with season 1.

Too bad.

16. MockingTheFlayedLion
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

It’s a pretty awesome poster, but I don’t hope it is like their main marketing one. Yes, the poster does kind of capture the theme of the book and series IMO, but it looks for a lack of better word, kind of boring. This is going to sound really wierd, but it reminds me a bit of “A Christmas Carol”. Wow, I just compared Game of Thrones with A Christmas Carol, what is wrong with me?

17. HB
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I like the first season’s poster better as a poster. As a book cover I like this one better though.

18. SergioCQH
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Ugh, terrible poster.

19. AlexBaratheon
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

I dont know how I feel about it being the main poster but as an image its pretty powerful!

I like the detail of the soldiers fighting in the shadows of the crown. Pretty kick ass touch

Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

tumblefell:
    Saw it earlier this morning and still don’t know how I feel about it…

Just credited you in the post for the find. :)

21. Jess
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

CerpinTaxt: I don’t like it either.. Looks kinda cheap and not consistent with season 1. Also really not liking the “War is coming” tagline. Also really cheap and kind of takes away the impact of “Winter is coming” line. I’m afraid they’ll go with “X is comin” each year. That would also suck.Too bad.

Oh god, I hope they don’t go with the “X is coming” theme each year… lol that would be so corny!!! I’m not a fun of the “war is coming” tagline, either. Still wishing they incorporated “a clash of kings” into the tagline, since they can’t have that as the titel of the show, it would’ve been nice to at least be a subtitle or something… >_>

Ditto the above comment about the crappy font. NOT a fan! Looks like Time new roman on MSword… *facepalm*

22. Elena Amici
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

alright, thanks :) I still don’t like the fount, but it’s kinda cool

23. Dee
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

This is my first post here at WIC, so I’ll start by saying: Hi all!

Swiftly moving on to the topic of the poster, I’m sorry to say that I find it disappointing. To me looks trite, derivative and lacking of imagination. I also find something off about the colours, font colour doesn’t fit comfortably with the graphics.
    If I were to see this poster without context I suspect my first assumption would have been that it was advertising a video game.

Season 1′s poster made an impact on me. I hadn’t heard of the books, that season’s poster followed by the trailer got me interested in both the show and the books. I doubt if this poster would have had the same impact.

24. Yeekim
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

CerpinTaxt:
    I don’t like it either.. Looks kinda cheap and not consistent with season 1.

Too bad.

How about “Wedding is Coming” for Season 3 tagline? :P

25. persephone88
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I think it sums up the season well – who will get the crown, and it is a nice tie in with Season 1. I think this poster is great, esp. for people new to the series.

For the old timers, and those addicted from Season 1 – I think that bloody wolf on The North Remembers is much more potent.

26. Duff Man
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Maybe it would’ve been better to have multiple hands reaching/grabbing for the crown, to show that there are several people claiming to be a king.

In the end though it’s only a poster, and it has zero effect on how great of a season this should be.

27. Jess
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Can’t edit my post on my phone… sorry!

I also wanted to say that i do appreciate the details on the crown, so it’s not like they just phoned it in. That being said, I’m confused as to why they didn’t use ANY cast members! I know it’s been a while, but I really liked those poster ideas people on wic.net (forgot who, sorry!) had before of having each of the kings in the forefront with their main supporters standing behind (Catelyn behind Robb, Mel behind Stannis, etc.) Are any HBO people reading this? lol

Or just have the 5 crowns in a circle kinda of thing… or the multiple hands grabbing the crown (good idea, Duff man).

anyway, still looking forward to the promo posters!

28. tumblefell
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Sweet! Thanks very much! Sometimes insomnia pays off…

I still don’t know how I feel about it. I like the flame/sparks/gold thing they have going on even if War is Coming doesn’t really work for me as a tag line. I guess they really want to juxtapose the fire this season with the ice of the first season?

29. sjwenings
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

It doesn’t really look like… the show…

Pretty bad.

32. Knurk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Ser Jean-Ralphio:

it’s Roberts crown.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Hehe :)
    Well, don’t forget the first season’s tagline was: You win or you die, not Winter is coming.

34. Richard
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

I like it because it’s understated as someone else already pointed out, and makes the TV/Book tie-in cover art a lot more classier looking than a sh*tty Photoshop collage of characters.

35. Knurk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

LOL, WiC is a bit faster than Westeros:

@westerosorg: HBO to release the Season 2 official poster on March 6th, I’m told. Less than a week away. #GameOfThrones #ASoIaF #WarIsComing 4:19 PM – 29 Feb 12

36. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

I think it’s pretty awesome . The hand reaching for the crown kinda has a zombie feeling to it which is not really that uncommon for this series .

37. Angelo
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Bad photoshop. That hand isn’t really holding anything, unless it’s crushing the crown, spikes and all.

It doesn’t bother me they didn’t use any characters in that poster/cover (none of them have the marketing appeal of Sean Bean), yet, it’s laking something.

38. Oi!
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Ser Jean-Ralphio,

That’s Roberts crown

39. Joe
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

GOOD GOD, you assholes complain about everything.

40. Cookie
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

The crown and the reflection of the soldiers is a very nice reference to the title of the book. Like it.

41. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Joe,

I agree , although it’s no need calling people names and such but either way does a poster really affect the quality of the series in any way ? Plus the poster it’s more important for the book cover it’s not like movie pictures where you see the posters in the theatre and such .

42. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Weak

43. alex
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

i think it is a cool picture, but using it as a main poster for this season would be misleading, in my opinion. nobody actually wins that much of anything in the end.
    but again, it is really nice and i like the details on the crown.

44. Tickler's Gold
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Shame… I don’t like the look of the poster at all.

45. GrandmaFunk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Angelo:
    Bad photoshop.

/facepalm

It’s a PAINTING.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Knurk:
    LOL, WiC is a bit faster than Westeros:

I don’t understand HBO’s strategy here. They planned to reveal the poster on March 6th and they seriously thought it wouldn’t leak before then? If Sky Atlantic hadn’t posted it, we would have gotten pics of the book cover, since it’s at book stores now.

It seems silly to me to wait and have your official poster revealed in a leaked cropped photo or blurry cell phone shot. The same thing happened last year, you’d think they would have learned their lesson.

47. OhDanyBoy
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Loving the battle scene reflected in the surfaces of the crown.

Nice touch! Seems good to me. Doesn’t quite compare to last year’s Ned on the Throne poster, but that’s not surprising.

48. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Unless I’m missing something, Sky Atlantic just pulled it from their website.

I think this would be a better tagline though :)

49. Ramah
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Meh.

The “The North Remembers” fan poster holds far more relevance, looks loads better and would, I think, create quite a fair bit of excitement for the non-reader fans of the show – “The north are pissed off and are out for blood – this shit is getting real!”

This poster is just… meh.

EDIT: Lol @ Adam posting that as I was typing my comment. :)

50. Jess
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Adam Whitehead: Unless I’m missing something, Sky Atlantic just pulled it from their website.I think this would be a better tagline though :)

LOL WIN!

Although personally for me, the shit didn’t get real until Red Wedding.

51. JBird
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Woah, looks really good and sums up the entire season very well. I don’t like the Font of “War is coming”, but that is just a little nitpicking.

52. Meg
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

At first I thought it was the Ring from LOTR.

53. Maxwell James
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Way too Lord-of-the-Ringsy. Most of HBO’s marketing has been perfect, but this is pretty weak.

54. Knurk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Elio is at the press junket in London. So he probably saw the poster, asked if he could post it and they told him to wait until Mar 6th for the official reveal.

haha I love it, he must be grinding his teeth. Sometimes it comes over as if HBO still doesn’t have a good grasp over the news-craving fanbase and the internet, they should be knowing by now that if there is a leak we will find it.

BTW, any pressjunkets in the coming weeks where WiC-representatives will be attending?

55. M. Mahaffey
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

56. shadallion
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Don’t like it.

57. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

“The North Remembers” is not effective for people who aren’t already super into ASOIAF and GOT. It’s cool, I love it, but it’s not broad enough. It’s fine for an episode title, but it doesn’t tell you much about what season 2 is actually about.

And the crown being grabbed at does say exactly what the season is about. HBO isn’t trying to grab us, we’lll watch it even if it has the worst poster ever.

58. purplejilly
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Joe: GOOD GOD, you assholes complain about everything.

We sure do! Gatewatching, nitpicking, that’s what we live for! If you think we are all going to march along, Korean kick-stepping together and not say a peep about anything to do with the show, you’re at the wrong website!

59. Dash
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Bad poster, and bad name for first episode…

Also bad timing in release of trailers, and for sure bad campaign of marketing.

I have the feeling that they has fired the marketing god from first season and they put a lazy guy that sleep with the right person.

And even hardcore defender should admit that it is going very worse than first season.

IMHO, of course ;)

60. userj
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

WHAWAHWAHWAHWAH

I like it a lot, people are whiners.

Obviously if they show a character that’s “picking sides” in one way or another. The whole point of this season is that it’s a clash of kings (and a queen), PLURAL. They’d have had to put at least 5 people on there to represent what the season was about in one go. This is the best way to represent what happens in this season.

61. Johan Sporre
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

It makes me think of the Hunger Games.
    Not bad, but not awe-inspiring either.

62. eitatetaata
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I definitely like it, both as a poster and as a book cover. The thing is doesn’t suit the first book’s cover at all.

63. Dash
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

userj,

A crown broken in 5 parts represent what is going to happen much better

64. Maxwell James
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I think that’s true. And I can understand the thinking behind this poster. It does get at the core theme of the story, and given that there’s no “main” character like they had last year, may be preferable to a hodgepodge like this. Which in turn is a good reminder that posters don’t matter all that much.

All that said, it’s still a pretty derivative image.

65. Antioch
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I understand that the poster depicts the theme of A Clash of Kings, but it’s going to look horrible next to my Season 1 Eddard Stark on the Iron Throne poster.

66. Skipjack
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I think I’d like it a bit better if the hand wasn’t grasping the crown but reaching for it. I don’t like “War Is Coming” much either since it’s much more declarative and less suggestive than “Winter Is Coming”.

Here in New York HBO frequently has huge displays that run together, like in the subway. I’d like to see not just this poster but the for fan posters alongside each other, the first was really eye-grabbing. Put this poster up with the Game of Thrones logo, and the others up nearby to show there are many sides fighting, and I think it would be very effective.

67. purplejilly
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

It’s sort of a striking, simple image. Someone else mentioned Hunger Games, it does look like the Hunger Games art. Maybe that’s the current trendy style.

I don’t like the hand, though. I think I would have liked it better if they showed five or six hands grabbing the crown, and used the actors’ real hands. Would have been a cool way to put all the players in, without you having seen their face. Of course you’d guess Cersei, but that’s no large stretch in the plotline..

68. Brian
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I don’t like it at all. I might have missed something, but was it actually painted by a fan or a professional? At this point, I think HBO could and should do much better. At the very least, just leave the crown, sans hand. Lucky the fans are are so loyal, but as for newbies, I don’t know……

Not a fan of it at all.

69. stevelabny
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

alex:
    but again, it is really nice and i like the details on the crown.

Actually, Joffrey clearly wins becauseRenly meets shadows, Stannis gets beaten back, Robb does nothing but get himself in trouble , and Balon goes the other way.

Fun with spoilertags!

70. Ed
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I don’t like it.

Joe is right, by the way. :-)

71. bigswerg
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Saw one of the trailers for season 2 during the daytona500 and it looked even better than on the computer, just ready for it to start not realy worried about the poster. 32 day to go, come on 4-1-12!!

72. bigswerg
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

First time i remember see it advertised on another network

73. saluk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I think it’s a great poster. Better than last years even. I’m not 100% convinced it’s official though.

74. Ben Watson
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea:
    That’s stupid, a crown doesn’t growl with its mouth open.

The poster is not perfect. Season ruined. Lena Headey’s fault. She was pregnant at the time this poster was created.

75. RedBeard
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Lord of the Rings much?

76. Ben Watson
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Maybe “war is coming” refers to the reaction they anticipated would happen in comments when people saw the poster?

77. FacelessMan
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

It’s all right. Not that it matters to me. I’d watch even if they painted Ned’s rotting head on the poster.

78. Knurk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

FacelessMan: I’d watch even if they painted Ned’s rotting head on the poster.

that would have been one awesome poster.

79. Mimsy
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Dee.. welcome to WIC!

Hmm.. first impression was EEEWWWW… then OH, look battle scenes on the crown.. then I looked for characters I might recognize.. are those antlers?!

By the time I went thru all the comments (and agreed with everyone’s dislike).. I went back up to look at the graphic and now I’m okay with it. The picture shows that it’s going to be a nasty ride to get the crown. Can’t wait!

80. Lala
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

It’s like Gollum’s hand holding a crown instead of a ring :))

81. Dee
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Mimsy:
    Dee.. welcome to WIC!

Thank you! It’s good to be here. :)

82. andrea
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

The general idea maybe good and simple enough but looks like a book cover.

83. Mormegil
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

M. Mahaffey: V. much reminds me of the cover to the old AH computer game, Kingmaker: http://www.hitrepeat.com/imagehost/2010321141351187.jpg

LoL

That does look a little familiar. I wonder if the HBO one started off with an armoured fist as well but was changed.

The image itself is ok but the war is coming font does not look good.

84. Pink Dragon
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Ben Watson: The poster is not perfect. Season ruined.Lena Headey’s fault. She was pregnant at the time this poster was created.

Where are my Reeds? Where is Reek?!

85. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I find it cool and dark. but I’m not quite satisfied with it being the official poster…

86. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Somebody needs to clean their fingernails…

87. XenkanMonk
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Urg. It’s super ugly, and doesn’t even make sense. How can the hand hold it that tightly without bleeding? Now there’s an idea. Blood running down the hand that grabs it. The hand is too perfectly placed, to straight, too photo-op. The font is too close to the edges. And why a man’s hand? There are so many great characters who are female, and want the crown as well.

88. Michael Harper
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Any idea when Season 2 posters, soundtrack, and other stuff will go on sale?

89. Rose
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,

Holy shit you win the best comment award.

90. Vic Sage
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I like it.It conveys what this season is all about.

91. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

looks like a hunger games poster :S that was my first thought.

92. Jordan Healey
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Meh not a massive fan of it

93. Constance
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I saw this on the side of a bus yesterday.

94. Katja
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

I quite like it. Though I’d be really surprised if there was no character poster later. Or maybe there’s just too many of them now so they gave up fitting them onto the poster?

95. KG
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,

Snerk hahahahahaha ^_^

96. KG
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

The actual structure of the hand looks a little odd to me, but then, it’s an odd hand position. Sadly, I don’t have a crown handy to check it in real life :(

97. Greatjon
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

What is a dirty left hand doing holding the crown?! Everyone knows only right hands are allowed to touch it. Worst poster ever!

Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

When is HBO going to learn to start releasing things in high quality before the crappy quality version leaks? I’m not a big fan of this poster (overall design is weak, the arm looks cheesy, Robert’s crown feels out of place), but I’m pretty sure I would have had a better first impression if they’d released this hi-res version first. Second year in a row that they’ve done this.

Anyways, maybe 5 different crowns (none of them Robert’s) would have been a better idea.

99. Macha
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

TastesLikeTheSea,
    My good sir/lady, you win at life.

Although I was hoping for a character poster (maybe later on?), I gotta say the detail on that crown looks pretty neat. Me likey!

100. Durendaele
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Communism is coming?

101. Mirri Maz
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

it’s ok, i like the concept but same with the War is Coming poster the background and the sparks aren’t really working for me.

102. Ser Lemon Cake
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I assume that they did not go with a character as they want to wean the audience of the idea of the idea of a ‘lead’ character as the story butterflies out.

That said, I wonder who the first listed actor will be this season? I would guess bumping Peter up to first would make sense.

103. The DarkStar
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I love it.

It’s simple. Powerful….In one Image it conveys the brutal power struggle that is CoK. I prefer symbols much better than peoples faces. Home run with this. I want this poster, and I never wanted the Iron throne one. I’m glad HBO isn’t trying to promote one character or another, just letting the story speak for itself.

Like the teaser trailer that went viral, I think this poster when viewed by someone unfamiliar to the show, really peaks the interests.

104. Coltaine777
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Very good poster imo ..I love it ..but like many have said earlier it’s only a poster and not that big of a deal ….

105. Mormegil
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

The uncropped version does look better.

106. Ours is the Fury
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Why would they release a poster with five crowns when that’s a spoiler?

Balon doesn’t declare himself king again in the first season, we find out what’s happening in the second book and season- so five crowns is a spoiler. This point keeps coming up on the net lately, people keep wondering why they aren’t calling it the War of Five Kings etc. Oy vey. Spoilers. That’s why.

107. B'Tash
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I think you can see blood running down, behind letters M (from GAME) and O (from THRONES)……I like it! They do not need a recognizable face now, the show has established itself quite well already…….

108. Stannis
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I love it marrrn!!!! IT really captures a feeling of intensity and burning rage and I’ve always felt that war is coming is a clever ironic twist on the obvious, sah kewl mayun!!!! Cant wait for the dvd with this cover!!!

109. havok_
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

“The War of Five Kings” was mentioned in the “Power and Grace” trailer.

Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Point taken. Still don’t much like it.

111. Mormegil
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

They did have Tywin say that people were calling it The War of the Five Kings in the trailer.

So they aren’t exactly trying to hide it.

112. darquemode
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

They do have Stannis saying “War of the Five Kings they’re calling it” in the First Look trailer. So five crowns would not spoil too much more really. However five crowns would have been a bit cluttered and while they each may have their own crown – only the crown that comes with the Iron Throne matters.

Still not a huge fan of the poster, but I can appreciate now seeing an uncropped version. The Sky Atlantic cropped one just felt wrong to me. This one is a bit better I guess.

113. thomas
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Absolutely love this. Far too often we get ‘floating heads’ posters and artwork, it’s so refreshing to see something with a little bit of thought behind it (and that wasn’t dredged up in 5 minutes by someone with photoshop). I actually think I might like this on my wall.

114. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Yup. On the GoT Wiki we call it the War of the Four Kings and people got annoyed by that. I saw where they were coming from but it was necessary for spoiler-avoidance (and also it’s only temporary; I assume we can switch it to five by Episode 2 of S2 at the latest). Amusingly, I’ve seen a few magazines and websites also calling it the War of the Four Kings, possibly as they’ve nabbed the idea from us :)

115. Angel
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Better tag line would be : the dark is night and Tull of ferrors

116. Mirax
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Lex: Robert’s crown feels out of place

Think of it as a first place trophy. Robert’s crown represents his throne and his power, and all that the winner will gain.

I personally like the poster. : )

117. GrzebykK
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Don’t like it.
    I agree with many above, that fan poster was ten times better.
    Is it Game of Thrones or Spartacus or Walking Dead?
    Pity.

118. Damián Erro
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

GrzebykK:
    (…)Is it Game of Thrones or Spartacus or Walking Dead?
    Pity.

3 great series, altough my favorite is obviously thrones..

anyway… the poster and slogan is… meh
    not bad but also not good, I think they just should use ” A Clash of kings” instead of “war is coming” which is shallow and really not book-wise

You know what is coming? A m********ing chain is coming! yeah! a huge chain is coming

anyway.. cant wait!

119. kindly man
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

I love it. It has everything. The fire, the intensity, the blood and the crown that apearse to be roberts antler crown that now is up for grabs…
    Simply love it!!!

120. Greatjon
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Dear HBO,

Never underestimate a geekdom’s ability to overreact to even the most mundane bits of news. And when in doubt, remember this simple motto: All things must be perfection or all things WILL be GARBAGE!

:-D

Posted February 29, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Eh, it’s growing on me.

122. weniusa
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Greatjon:
    Dear HBO,

:-D

No one is overreacting, people don’t like the poster and that’s all. Do we all have to like everything about the production?
    In my opinion, the tag line is weak, it obviously plays with last season’s Winter is coming but it’s much less powerful. Frankly, the image shown is ridiculous. The North Remembers poster is much, much better.

That said, this is only a poster, not really important to the series

123. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 6:57 am | Permalink

this poster and poster before that ‘war is coming’ is look more like ‘spartacus’ type….and we dont like that show much….we have some class….hbo must stick to that class otherwise we will be orphaned…;)

124. shumila
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Don’t like it. Looks rather like Gollum holding up the ring in Mount Doom right before he melts.

125. Athelstan
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

The poster didn’t leap out and grab me as readily as the bloody direwolf did, but I think the image will grow on us as it becomes more familiar. Who knows, maybe HBO has additional posters that it will reveal as we get closer to S2.

I do like the use of the image of the crown, it sits nicely with ‘A Clash of Kings’ and the silhouetted battle scene mirrored onto it is a nice touch. If I’d had to come up with something myself I’d probably have gone for a crown lying amongst the mud, blood & detritus of the battle field.

126. rorschach-
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

People have said it looks like LOTR, but I just can’t make myself unsee “The Passion of the Joffrey“. Shit.

And I would have so wanted to like this more abstract poster rather than floating faces or highschool group photos. The idea of hand grasping for dead mans crown is just awsome, shame it didn’t deliver.

127. NotAFanofJohn
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I think the poster is awesome – I dunno why people are complaining. I’m so excited for the show!

128. Julian Walker
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Looks cool. Kinda hoping for Tyrion on the Throne this year, but whatever.

129. Ser Jean-Ralphio
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Yeah, that makes sense, I forgot to check a picture of Robert, and now that I see it, it’s definetly his. Thanks.

130. Miyay
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 1:58 am | Permalink

I like the bloody wolf better. It looks like a poster for a political rally :(

131. No-One
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 3:01 am | Permalink

I’ve long think about the poster. Finally I think it is good. Not perfect, not GOT like, but it’s a good idea and something other than Ned on the Iron Throne.
    I’m still displeased with the ‘War is coming’ Tagline. They HAVE so many good lines from the book. They have ‘The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors’ AND ‘The Cold Winds are Rising’ (But I remember that many on this website didn’t like this two or don’t remember that they in book two).
    I think the poster isn’t mean to like by fans of the show (For this they have the ‘fan poster with the bloody dire wolf’), but it should catch this guys who said ‘Game of Thrones, err… this was the show where nothing happens, or? And now they have a war? Maybe I will watch it this time’
    Maybe I’m wrong, but I can image that Blackwater is the great thing for HBO this time. An epic battle – on TV! So they want that all watch this battle, which comes…

Personally I believe ‘War of five Kings’ is a very interesting topic. Even if it spoiler a little bit (and I’m very pleased that HBO don’t show us the ironborn to hide Balons claim to the crown for only-tv-viewers) but stories about one man who wants a crown, or even two who fight each other to claim a Throne are frequent, five kings are rare.

132. Arvin
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Renly’s camp is going to war with the tambourines, babeh!

133. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 8, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

It’s the A Clash Of Kings show tie-in paperback book cover, and I have to say I’m disappointed. I was hoping all the books would have actually characters from the series on them. I was going to buy them all, but now, I don’t think so.