Quick Hits: SFX Awards announced, Finn Jones interviewed, and bottoms are supported
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Marketing, Merchandise.
  • The SFX Awards were handed out over the weekend and out of four nominations (Best TV Show, Best New Show, Best Actor – Sean Bean and Best Actress – Maisie Williams) Thrones picked up one win in the category for Best New Show. George R. R. Martin also won best novel for A Dance with Dragons.
  • Cast of Thrones has a fun podcast interview with Finn Jones where he discusses his role as Loras Tyrell, his take on season one and provides some teases for season two (which might be a bit spoilerish for those who haven’t read the book).
  • Valyrian Steel has acquired the license to create replica weapons and armor based on the designs from the HBO show. Previously, they were producing weapons of their own design, based on the books, but now they will be doing both. They are already at work on the shows’ version of the Bran Assassination Dagger, the Hound’s Helm, a Stark Infantry Shield, and Robb Stark’s Sword. They also plan on going back and redoing weapons they previously designed (Longclaw, Ice, and Needle) to match the look of those weapons on the HBO show.
  • A new trailer for the Game of Thrones RPG was released, this one focusing on Riverspring, a new location created for the game. You can find out more about this location on the official site. The game is set to release on May 15 for PS3, X360, and PC.
  • Deep Media has a cool article by Frank Rose about how Steve Coulson and Campfire created The Maester’s Path campaign. It even goes into the whole “Always Support the Bottom” story. Ah, memories. Might we see another creative and interactive marketing campaign for season two soon? I hope so.
  • Last but certainly not least, HBO sent me a copy of Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season on Blu-Ray! The packaging and art is gorgeous, as one would expect. Expect a full review sometime in the next couple weeks…

1. dragon
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

FIRST!

Great stuff, new trailer for game of thrones game looking good

2. fiende
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Can we all agree that ‘first’ adds nothing to a discussion?

After playing Skyrim extensively, I’m worried that the lower-budget GoT alternative will be less than remarkable. Would love a demo soon, though.

Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Added a little note about receiving the season one Blu-Ray from HBO. First impression: it is really well-done. A full review (and more) coming up in the next couple weeks. #stealthbrag

4. dizzy_34
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Awesome! Watch the extras first, that’s what I do. I saw the promo disc and poster in Best Buy this weekend. Got me pumped for it.

Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34:
    Winter Is Coming,

Yeah, that’s my plan. Watch all the extras and then try to find the ‘dragon eggs’. ;)

6. Harry The Heir
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

My main hope for the RPG is that enough people buy it so they make a sequel but with a bigger team and a better buget. Fingers Crossed, also
    Winter Is Coming,

Looking at the start of DwD and I realised you get a mention along with FaBio. Gratz!

7. Rossinny
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

8. The Rabbit
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Could it be that Dragon eggs have something to do with the second season?
    Like last years s boxes?

…(Rabbit trying to invent new Always support the bottom story)…

9. G_Lee
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

So you’re buying a Blu-Ray player and an LED-TV to watch this? I sure hope so Winter ;D

10. NickS
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Winter, if you don’t have a Blu-Ray player I’d be happy to offer up my services as a guest reviewer for the Season 1 set.

;-)

11. EvilPicnic
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

So out of all the hundreds of locations mentioned but not visited in GRRMs books, Cyanide decides to create a completely new one? Not sure I see the reasoning behind this…

On the other hand the trailer seems to be showing a strong politicking theme, which raises my hopes a little.

12. MW
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

EvilPicnic:

I would hope that this wasn’t their first choice. Licensing deals often suck.

13. Abyss
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

In addition to the new trailer for the GoT RPG there is a short new interview with Sylvain Sechi the Lead Designer of the game.

14. OhDanyBoy
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

EvilPicnic:

Keep in mind the story for the game was written with GRRM, so it could have been his decision for all we know.

15. dizzy_34
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

16. Jon Connington
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

16th!!

Posted February 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

G_Lee:

Hopefully! It depends on how big my tax return is.

18. Nathanyel
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I’m seriously considering getting a BluRay drive for this.

19. Langkard
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Suffering from a serious case of Winter is Coming envy. I have to wait for my copy of season one!

Congratulations on the continuing mentions in various media, including the DVD. This is the go-to site for many of us. The recognition is well-deserved.

I’m not holding my breath regarding the RPG by Cyanide. Games which are made for both the PC and consoles are generally sub-standard, from my perspective as a PC-gamer only. Unfortunately, console games sell more and so PC-only games are just withering away.

20. Hexonx
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I like Finn’s glowing endorsement of Gwen as Brienne. Of course what do expect him to say … but he did seem sincere. And he did mention she looks “so ugly” in the show.

21. Mormegil
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Rossinny: The game looks …. meh. Is there a licensing issue why they can’t use characters / locations from the books? Let’s face it, the vast majority of people with an interest in buying a Game of Thrones game would want to interact in the world they know from the books (or TV series), not some similar-yet-entirely-different environment / set of characters. I seem to remember they did the same with the Lord of the Rings RPG a few years back so guessing there’s a very valid reason for it. Doesn’t excite me in the least, and I’m someone who loves ASOIAF and gaming.

Some characters from the books will be in the games and in one case at least (The Old Bear) voiced by the actor from the TV show.

dizzy_34: The Rabbit, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for that Brandon Stark scene and/or footage of Bran and Tommen going at it in the practice yard. Both of which we’ve seen evidence of existing.

It would be nice but I’m pretty sure they will just be the Audtion videos as rumoured.

22. John-Michael Lelievre
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

For me the Valyrian Steel news is most exciting! I’ve been wanting that Bran Assasination Dagger ever since I saw it onscreen! (I’m a big collector of swords and knives.)

23. wyvernwood
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

I find the game trailer a bit weak. the voice over is particularly wishy-washy, no sense of build up or excitement whatsoever. Hopefully I’m wrong and it’s just a case of the trailer not doing justice to the game.

24. Zack
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I’m going to be asking for the BD set for my birthday in April I think. Looking forward to your review!

game: meh
    Finn Jones: awesome

For the comments about the cut Brandon Stark in the throne room scene, my guess is such an anticipated moment will merely be pushed to a later season, that we’ll still see it eventually. Or perhaps a reshot one. But we’ll eventually get a scene featuring those characters in that setting, I’ve no doubt.

25. Dave
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Game of Thrones was robbed in the SFX awards. Probably because GoT is a fantasy genre… wait, what?

26. littlejanet
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I thought it was really interesting when Finn said they auditioned him using a scene where he confronts Brienne in King’s Landing. My first reaction was, “WHAT, when does that happen?!” Then I sort of remembered, and found it in a Jaime POV chapter in ASoS (paperback page 847) Several thoughts. First, what a cool scene that will be with Finn and Gwen and Nikolaj. Second, I can see why they would choose that scene, as the emotional range is much more dramatic than any Loras scenes from Season 1. But mostly, I’m just so impressed with D&D, to be always keeping the big picture and the big arc of character development in mind, casting not for a pilot or season 1, but for a scene that may not come until seasons 3 or 4. Very cool.

27. Mormegil
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

With regards to the SFX awards wasn’t it Peter Dinklage rather than Sean Bean who was up for Best Actor?

That’s what the SFX website says anyway.

28. vianney
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Mmmh where do I order the same BR box as the one you got? OR anything looking decent enough and without this horrid blue banner on top, really?

29. Joshua Taylor
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

vianney,

Blu ray TV boxset banners= cardboard tab that falls off as soon as you remove the cellophane.

30. Miyay
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

I already pre-ordered mine and will be watching it on my PS3! :)

Winter, do let us know about the dragon eggs. I won’t have the patience to hunt for it :D

31. G_Lee
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 5:58 am | Permalink

I’m paying 10€ extra for a UK order just to get in on March 3rd instead of March 31th

32. Epic pinafores
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 6:14 am | Permalink

A Dance with Dragons won for best novel? Maybe if it was a cure for insomnia. Let’s face it, like A Feast for Crows, ADWD was disappointing when you compare it to the first three novels. Nothing much happens, all setup. GRRM, you’re on notice, don’t make the last two books suck.

Winter Is Coming,
    Let us know if there’s any delete scenes of Ros. Since the series is making her an important character for some reason, there’s bound to be some.

vianney:

I like the blue banner. It shows that you got the superior version than the standard def of DVDs. It shows you’re a true fan if you buy the best version of the show available than getting the cheapo option. Let the blu-ray vs DVD war begin!

33. G_Lee
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Epic, I thought Dance was the best Book so far. Different but not worse. The atmosphere was unbelievable!

34. Elena Amici
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    Winter Is Coming,

Could it be that Dragon eggs have something to do with the second season?
    Like last years s boxes?

…(Rabbit trying to invent new Always support the bottom story)…

I’m still hoping for those cast audition tapes *-*

35. G_Lee
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I am hoping for a certain flashback scene….

36. Adam Whitehead
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

GRRM didn’t write the story for the RPG, it was written by their in-house team. They fact-checked with GRRM and with the Westeros.org team, but that was the limit of GRRM’s involvement.

37. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:20 am | Permalink

GOT just won 2 VES (Visual effect society) awards :
    - Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Broadcast Program for Winter is Coming
    - Outstanding Created Environment in a Broadcast Program or Commercial for the WALL

38. Thiago Slash
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

nice article about The Maester’s Path!

• WiC Live