Quick Hits: Games, red carpet interviews, and awards
By Winter Is Coming on in Awards, Events, Merchandise.
  • Bigpoint has issued a press release promising more details on the free-to-play massively multiplayer online game they are working on based on Game of Thrones. They have launched an official site and journalists will get an advanced look at the game at the Game Developer’s Conference later this week.
  • Atlus has released a new trailer focusing on Castlewood, another important location in the Game of Thrones RPG. The official web site has more details on the location. Also, there is now an official Facebook fan page for the game.
  • In other gaming-related news, some dedicated (and/or crazy) fans of Thrones have gone about recreating the world of Westeros in Minecraft.
  • The Iron Throne is coming to Toronto, alongside a host of other memorable costumes and props from the show, as a part of Game of Thrones: The Exhibition occurring on March 9-18 at TIFF Bell Lightbox.
  • HBO UK and Sky Atlantic have teamed up to release a new 13-min webcast focused on Game of Thrones. They have a panel on to talk about the show, including Elio and Linda of Westeros.org, some analysis of the costumes from season one, and a special appearance by Miltos Yerolemou.
  • A bunch of interviews from the DVD launch party’s red carpet are now surfacing. Getty Images has a collection of short interview clips. Digital Spy has some video interviews of their own. And SciFiNow has a short written interview with Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams.
  • With the show’s popularity comes… fashion photo spreads. Rolling Stone has a spread with certain members of the Thrones cast. Plus, GQ has one with Emilia Clarke and Men’s Journal has one with Kit Harington.
  • Last but not least, one late review of awards for S1. Despite a few close-seconds to the sister show Boardwalk Empire and the late-comer Homeland, there were a couple of positive moments. At the Golden Reel Awards for sound editing, Game of Thrones won both nominations, for dialogue editing and sound effect editing. The show also earned four nominations for the Saturn Awards, viz. best presentation (i.e. best series of 10 eps or fewer), actor (Sean Bean), actress (Lena Headey), and supporting actor (Kit Harington). Results coming on June 20. This just about rounds it up for season one. A potential nomination could still be scored at the TV Baftas for best international programme (announced on April 30).

1. Linda
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Once again FIRST! :) AND UPS just delivered my DVD set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Winterdark
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Second! (seriously what is up with this shotgun calling?)

Also I’m quitte surprised Lena Heady was nominated for an award. I mean she did a good job but there were so many in the cast who did a much better job. If anyone should’ve been nominated for best actress it should’ve been Michelle Fairly. She was ten times better than Lena Heady.

3. Tom Hazel
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

My Blu-Ray came today as well. Its just SO. DAMNED. BEAUTIFUL! :D

4. Lina
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I love the Rolling Stone shoot and the GQ photos, especially the cover. Emilia is such a great young talent and I’m glad to see her getting recognized as a beauty as well, because I think she represents something different than what a lot of Hollywood actresses seem to convey. Also, I love her classy yet whimsical sense of style. I think she’s fantastic and wish her only the best.

Oh and, that RS photo of Kit kissing Emilia on the cheek has sent Jon/Dany fangirls/boys into an absolute frenzy on tumblr.

Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Aaaargh, where’s my box set? Amazon.co.uk hasn’t even dispatched it yet! /end rant :P

6. Hollyoak
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT!

My FedEx from Amazon just came and I have season one one Blu Ray in my hot little hands!

Um, that is all…

7. Aaron
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand why they need to make up locations like Riverspring or Castlewood for the game. There isn’t enough places from the books to draw from?

8. andrea
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Lina: she represents something different

I hope you´re right because she keeps losing weight (after season 1 I think) and that´s not precisely something different.
    Very beautiful pictures though.

9. loco73
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Ahhhh …Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen…together! If the Seven are listenning, I hope that this is how “A Song Of Ice And Fire” ends…with Jon Snow (Ice) and Dany (Fire) ending up together and taking the Iron Throne! LOL…

10. Jess
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Love this round-up! Thanks!

11. tumblefell
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Excellent! Can’t wait for tomorrow’s delivery of my Stark theme covered blu-ray…

There also this whatculture.com interview with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and this DIY Mag interview with Michelle Fairley. Didn’t see them mentioned and both are quality reads!

12. andrea
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

tumblefell: whatculture.com interview with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

lol at NCW photo, him all medieval and bloodied, looking at the person with the green woolen cap. Talking about anachronism.

13. Matt
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Got my tickets for the exhibition in Toronto, can’t wait to get my shot on the Iron Throne its going to be Epic

14. J
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Matt:

Ditto, goin on Friday :)

15. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Thronecast is mostly meh as usual but I love the Miltos interview. Why do they use the dramatic music throughout the speaking? It’s very distracting.

16. Winterdark
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Crap! Now I feel really guilty! It’s just cause he said A Song of Ice and Fire rather than Game of Thrones so I assumed he was talking about the books and not he series. Could you mods please delete my post? Thanks

Edit: you allready put a spoiler aroud it. Still I’d like it deleted cause people tend to read spoilers even if you put a really big warning next to it. (it’s how I ruined the ending of season 2 of Boardwalk Empire for someone recently)

17. Dreamlife
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Winterdark,

Major frakking spoilers for A Dance with Dragon. Proceed at your own risk.

Your post isn’t that spoilery—it’s not definite that Jon dies at the end of ADWD. I’m still holding out hope that Dany and Jon are together at the end of the series. I’m a romantic.

18. Felix Zschieschow
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

hahaha! a webcast interview with the censeros creeps? man, I wonder if Lindaaaa will chat about her fascinating spousal abuse apologies etc.

19. Brian
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Going to see the throne on Sunday. My wife says I’m a geek for wanton to take a pic on the throne. Maybe it’s because I said I’m bringing my Damascus Ice with me :)

20. Hollyoak
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Off topic but I am majorly bummed. I was so excited to get my Thrones Blu Ray today. I just popped it in and it won’t play!

The player is at least seven years old. Sony. I once did a firmware update so I could watch the Dark Knight or Watchmen or whatever hot blu ray was out at the time. When I look now for a firmware update for this player it only leads me to old threads in forums.

Looks like it’s time to buy a Sony PlayStation player.

Winter is NOT coming…

21. userj
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

New interview with Gwen,
    “There’s lots of sword fighting, lots of fighting… there’s some canoeing.”

Canoeing… perhaps with our Kingslayer aboard in chains?!?!? SO EXCITE.

Posted March 5, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

All those video interviews from the DVD release are great! The Harry Lloyd interview is nice (I loved when he told the reporter the spoiler is his own fault for not having watched Season 1 yet). I also really liked the video interviews with Isaac, Maisie, and Sophie, and Liam Cunningham.

23. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

that King’s Landing is awesome!
    nice tidbits from DigitalSpy ^^
    the pictures look great /o/ (Emilia and Kit are so cute on that one hahaha)

24. Dave
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Got the same issue with my new Sony BDP-S580 blu-ray (with updated firmware), it doesn’t play my GoT on blu-ray, same with Boardwalk Empire on some instances like selecting “Play All” will lock it up, so I have to select the episodes individually. But funny thing is my GoT blu-ray can play fine on my PS3 and on my older Sony blu-ray player. So has to be my new blu-ray that’s the issue. I heard that disabling BD-Live (if you got it) or erase persistent storage on your blu-ray player helps, though I still have to try it , seeing as I’m at work at the moment.

25. Abyss
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Mh, can somebody please enlighten me how to watch the interview clips on Getty Images? I don’t get… Do I have to buy them or what?

Thanks.^^

26. andrea
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

missing a complement? (Quick Time player maybe)

27. Abyss
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Maybe… I’ll try it. – Oh and for your quistion to Knurk in the other thread: I think he was refering to Epic. – You know, the member of House Gatewatch with the many identitys. ;-)

28. andrea
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

Yes, I guess so, but I don´t quite understand.

29. Abyss
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I think it’s because you posted in Spanish and English with the same name. ;-)

As far my clip problem goes: Yes Quick Time was the evildoer. But can only play the last clip on the list. The others are just thumbnails. Are they just images or is something still wrong on my end?

30. andrea
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Abyss,

I see only pictures too but didn´t pay too much attention really.

Oh, I see what you mean but only one comment was mine. There´s a chilean Andrea (with capital “A” and without gravatar) and there´s me “andrea” lower case and a gravatar (south american too but from Argentine).

31. Hollyoak
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Dave:
    Hollyoak,

Thanks, Dave.

I’m going to splurge for a new player anyway. I’ve been wanting one for a long time. I want one that is Wi-fi capable. Same goes for my Sony TV. It’s only 720p and I want to upgrade to 1080.

My wife thinks I’m nuts.

32. Hollyoak
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Hollyoak: Thanks, Dave.

My wife thinks I’m nuts.

I got it to work after finding a good explanation on YouTube.

But it’s still time to get a new player.

33. EddardStark
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Really looking forward to the new info on the MMO this week. The 2 screens they showed off look gorgeous for a browser MMO, and I’m gonna be preordering the RPG in about a week or so. Gonna be some good stuff.

34. Bill
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Please post the link I’m having serious problems.