HBO to air 22-min Thrones feature, looking back at S1 and previewing S2
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

Appearing on the HBO schedule for the first time is a 22 minute Game of Thrones feature, entitled “You Win or You Die”, that is set to air on March 25th at 8:30 PM ET. Here is HBO’s official description of this feature:

Get in the Game! Enter the world of Westeros with this vivid and illuminating special about the epic HBO drama series ‘Game of Thrones.’ Highlighted by behind-the-scenes footage, clips, and interviews, this feature revisits the events of Season 1, introduces new viewers to the many colorful characters, and presents an exclusive preview of things to come in Season 2 (beginning April 1 on HBO).

Winter Is Coming: Maybe this is what became of “Echoes of the Past”? Maybe it was rolled into this new, longer video? Either way, it sounds like we should get a good look at season two in this one. Of course, by then, we will only be days away from the season actually premiering!

[Thanks to Chris for the tip!]

1. David
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Very nice. Does the 22 minute run time imply that commercials will be aired between it?

2. JamesL
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

David,

No, there are no commercials on HBO except for commercials advertising HBO programs but those are only aired before and after programs not in the middle of them.

Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

David,

EDIT: What JamesL said. He explained it better.

4. Hollyoak
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

So far there hasn’t been the bombardment of trailers and social media that supported the first season. Remember all the stuff they threw at us and at fan sites? But there is still the rest of March to get through.

I’m okay with that because it makes the wait more enjoyable. As much as I want to see more, if there is less to see, it will make it easy to avoid being overindulged.

You know, Brotherhood with0ut Previews and all that rot…

5. Lauren
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Will this 22 minute feature be posted online somewhere? I plan on subscribing to HBO for the duration of S2, but I’m probably not going to have it before April 1st.

6. Knurk
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Lauren,

probably HBO will post it online immediately after. If not, there is a certain hero called Darquemode on this site who always provides good rips from HBO-trailers if they aren’t online.

7. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Lauren,

I’m sure someone will get it online, even if it’s split up into a couple parts — we’re pretty good like that here. :)

8. David the Grey
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Cool. I am even excited about seeing more Season 1 clips! lol

9. Restore The Day
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

10. Queensmoot
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

You might be able to add just HBO to a basic package… I have the medium package with uVerse and I added HBO and Showtime when they came out with a good deal.

11. darquemode
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Good to have a set date on this preview!
    Now I won’t be searching HBO onDemand and trying to figure out if the schedule leaves room for a lengthy Thrones feature… Not that I do that every night..erm… frequently…. erm ever!

I was wondering if one of the Easter Eggs on the BD set might be a Season 2 preview, but that seems unlikely…. Still Egg hunt is on!

12. House Snow
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I wonder if it will have new stuff or whether it will just be some of the feature we have already seen.

13. spacepope
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

HBO really has been one of the best when it comes to keeping the fans updated on season 2 with periodic new teases and stuff

14. Ryan E
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Restore The Day:

I definitely recommend HBO. Even better for you if you have never subscribed, there are usually some great series on HBO on Demand you probably need to catch up on.

15. Kanga
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,
    Echoes of the Past is airing this Thursday, according to the HBO Canada schedule.

16. mummer
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet: season 1 is now up on iTunes. A couple of the DVD/Blu-Ray features are on there too– the Stark history and the commentary track for ep. 1– although you can only get those by downloading the whole season.

17. Jason Armentrout
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Cannot wait!!!! Such an AWESOME show!!!!!

18. EddardStark
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Hollyoak,

Well, that’s because its not the series premiere anymore. The show was JUST starting, so they needed to find interest and advertise it. Now that GoT is a huge worldwide phenomenon, they don’t need to bombard with videos and clips, as it will make those interested in the next season to be more impatient and the anxiety will build up.

Posted March 7, 2012 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Kanga,

I doubt it. HBO.ca had it listed for the 25th first, then it moved up. With the 22min feature on the 25th, I think that information is now obsolete …

20. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 4:34 am | Permalink
  21. kindly man
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 5:40 am | Permalink
  22. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 6:01 am | Permalink

kindly man,

Thanks, just found it too and was about to link it when i saw your reply.

23. Scudder
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Another interview with Nikolaj, for those who understand French:

He says that if HBO renews the show for a third season, the filming would begin July 1st.

24. Dreamlife
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Restore the Day,

To subscribe to HBO: just call your cable provider and ask them if they have any special deals. They almost always have a special offer ($5 for 6 months, free for 3 months, etc.) If you have a provider that allows access to HBOGO, you also have online access (and soon, XBOX 360) to almost every HBO series ever made. I intended on just subscribing for Game of Thrones, but have come to enjoy other series (Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Boardwalk Empire, Enlightened, Treme, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, to name a handful). I may cancel after GoT and then re-subcribe for Boardwalk Empire. Not sure yet.

I’m not sure if I will watch this 22 minute feature, since by that date I will try to avoid spoilers from season 2. Who am I kidding? I will probably watch it…

25. faiz
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 7:00 am | Permalink

It’s always the same actors who get interviewed.. ;-(

I’d really like to hear/read what Jack Gleeson has to say about the show and his role.

26. Hilda
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 7:35 am | Permalink

WICET,
    Please remind us again about this as the time draws closer. I can’t plan to record it on my dvr until at least a week before. I will definately forget!

27. purplejilly
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Restore The Day: I’m curious, how do you “subscribe to HBO for the duration of the season” and would you guys recommend it? I suppose you need to already have some kind of advanced cable plan for this to be available?

Yeah, for example I have Verizon Fios for my cable TV and Internet provider, and if you want to add (or drop) HBO, you can go online or call and have then add or drop whenever you want. So you could add HBO now, and then drop it when GoT is over. Allthough I grew fond of True Blood, so now once GoT is over I switch to watching True Blood on Sundays. If you are in the middle of the month they usually prorate the charge for that month. Verizon had HBO on sale for six months at $8.50 a month recently, don’t know if that’s still the case.

28. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Knurk,

he(darquemode) is indeed a hero, if HBO uploads video in 720p resolution on you tube, darquemode gives us 1080p link…..everytime i search his name and immediately get what i wanted(most of the time).

29. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Scudder,

if we dont understand french then google will help us. chrome is best browser to read foreign materials….long live martin, long run hbo, long _____google. ;)

30. Niall O'D
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

HBO Canada is still airing Echoes from the past tomorrow night???:

31. Steve
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Niall O’D,
    I sure hope so.

32. Kanga
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:

You’re probably right, but it’s definitely still in the schedule as of this afternoon. I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see?

1. [...] Am 25. März 2012 wird HBO eine 22-minütige Game of Thrones Making of Featurette veröffentlichen. [...]