A new writer added for season two and beyond
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

Vanessa TaylorIt was widely assumed that outside of Bryan Cogman and George R. R. Martin, no other writers would be working on season two of Game of Thrones and that, as a result, David Benioff & D.B. Weiss would be penning the other eight episodes. Turns out that is not the case. Thanks to a tweet from David & Dan’s assistant Cat Taylor, and later confirmation via Westeros.org, we learn that Vanessa Taylor will be writing wrote two episodes this season. Not only that but she has joined the writing staff permanently, according to season one writer Jane Espenson, and will be credited as a co-executive producer.

Taylor’s previous writing credits include episodes of Alias, Everwood and Tell Me You Love Me. She also served as a producer on each of those three series.

Winter Is Coming: I’m not familiar with Taylor’s work but I like that they have added a female writer to the staff. I also anticipate she will add a fresh perspective on the story, as opposed to the four guys who have been so close to it the past five (or more) years. Welcome to the crew, Vanessa!

1. Ser Pounce
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

she have a twitter?

2. Héctor G. López De Victoria Vélez
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

I don’t like that she’s virtually an unknown, BUT I’m anxious to see the product of her work. If Benioff and Weiss approved of this, then she should be right up their alley in terms of quality and style.

3. shadallion
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

She have a boyfriend?

4. Robbet
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

I don’t know any of her work but, as said, it is good to have a fesh new insight, specially from a woman! And HBO hasn’t let us down, she’ll do a great job, I’m sure.

Do we know what two episodes she’ll be writing???

5. Petter Kristian Vikestad
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Ach, new people. Could she be trusted?

6. dizzy_34
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Petter Kristian Vikestad: Ach, new people. Could she be trusted?

As long as she’s not writing snarky lines to Septas I’m good.

7. Maxwell James
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

She wrote for Alias when it was good. And didn’t when it was . . . not. I’m unfamiliar with her other work but overall that’s a good sign.

8. Aegoner
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

GoT is a fairly atypical show as most of the plot and a lot of dialogue options are already there for writers to use. The trick is adapting and suplementing the existing material, quite a different skill-set than writing entirely original material, so past precedent won’t be as useful for determining how good she’ll be I’m afraid!

9. sjwenings
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Aegoner,
    Good point. Trust in D&D, then.

10. Caedes
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I liked Everwood very much, I even worked on the spanish subtitles back then. Looking forward to her work on GoT.

11. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Héctor G. López De Victoria Vélez,

“Alias, Everwood and Tell Me You Love Me. She also served as a producer on each of those three series.”

How do those credentials make her “virtually unknown”? I swear there’s no pleasing you guys sometimes, lol.

Hmm I wonder which eps she’ll be writing. I would agree that it’s hard to judge by her past work, given the nature of GoT being an adaptation. But Alias was complicated as hell, which GoT is as well. I would worry if her only credits were from like, Two and a Half Men.

12. Langkard
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

I’m confused. She is just now being added as a writer for this season? Isn’t it a little late to be writing episodes that have already been filmed?

13. Owen Parker
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Héctor G. López De Victoria Vélez,

Seconding that she is far from an unknown. She has a more extensive CV than Weiss or Cogman (who were actually unknowns in television writing before this show) and more experience than Benioff in television specifically.

14. Owen Parker
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

People who hated the depiction of sex in the first season of Game of Thrones probably won’t like Tell Me You Love Me which is similarly unromantic and frank about it. Challenging viewing at times. I liked Alias but haven’t seen Everwood.

Trade publications sometimes report hiring of writer / producers but are hardly comprehensive about doing so at anything lower than the show runner level.
    Langkard,

She is just now being announced. She would have done her work in the pre-production stage back in 2011. It is rare in television to know who the writers are for individual episodes before they go out to listings so now is about right.

I think the tense in the original article is causing some confusion here – where you have said “will be writing” when those scripts will have been finalised a long time ago.

15. Maester Tcost
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Wait a minute. All of Season Two has been in the can for months now. This must mean that she will be writing two episodes for Season Three, don’t you all think? Either that, or she must have been with the show since last fall at the very latest.

Janet Espenson’s endorsement is a particularly good sign.

16. Hi-Fi
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome, Vanessa!

By the way, if filming for Season 3 is indeed starting in July, as said in various interviews, should we start getting casting announcements in May?

17. Ted furthman
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I knew they would eventually do something that would bring about the downfall of the show

18. Phoenix_torn
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Anyone going to the Toronto TIFF thing? Message if you want to meet up!

19. Knurk
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

We’ll see if it’s any good. I like various writers though, keeps D&D fresh too, especially a female in the group to keep the boys in tome. But Tell Me You Love Me was probably the worst show ever to appear on HBO. Really, really bad.

20. tumblefell
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I was about to add something but Owen Parker said it all :) I thought Tell Me You Love Me was underrated and, at times, incredibly gripping television. Having a diverse resume that also includes Everwood and Alias can only be a good thing. This is excellent news to me!

21. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I’m just glad we can confirm they got rid of Jane Espenson.

She’s ruined every major project she’s touched in the last five years:

*the second half of Battlestar Galactica (seasons 3 and 4).

*the Caprica prequel series (to the point that she stepped down as showrunner in shame, mid-way through the first season, and the show was a disaster that never recovered from her scattershot writing and leadership)

*Torchwood Series 4: Miracle Day

She didn’t even “write” A Golden Crown; she punched up the teleplay.

And you could kind of tell that Scatterbrain Jane took a pass at it: “quirky, snappy lines” at the expense of continuity. “Make the eight” — there are NINE regions, including the Crownlands, not Eight.

At least people finally stopped trusting her to be in a command position after Miracle Day, but once again, she’s used her past infamy to latch onto the current “it” show, in this case, Once Upon A Time…..what does she do, just bounce from one show to the next, promoting herself by saying “I worked on BSG/Caprica!” while neglecting to mention “My work on BSG and Caprica was controversial and poorly received!”. Yikes. She’s like Achilles from Ender’s Game.

22. ~Purist~Tears
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

shadallion:
    She have a boyfriend?

Good question!

Here’s another good question, do you have two brain cells to rub together?

23. ~Purist~Tears
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Ted furthman:

Yes, because this one woman would be the single cause of the downfall of a show that’s only in its sophomore season. Brilliant! Women are to blame for all the ills in the world, just like in the ASOIAF universe.

Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Wow, you really hate Jane Espenson, LOL.

25. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Jane Espenson is fantastic so it’s safe to say I disagree everything The Dragon Demands posted. I’d love to see her back writing for GoT next season.

And Ted is a troll not worth feeding.

26. Nimble Dick
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

I hate too after reading about that.

this show needs more MEN that know violence an killing.
    DOWN WITH THE LOVE STORY. i never got that from reading the book.
    will the next two seasons be about redemption? NO i want battles and dead Lannisters

27. Jordan Healey
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

I’ll reserve my judgement until I see the episodes she wrote.

28. ~Purist~Tears
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Jane Espenson is a brilliant writer responsible some of the best storylines in numerous sci-fi and fantasy shows. Her episode of Game of Thrones was one of my favourite episodes of the season; I loved the way she handled A Golden Crown. She’s wonderful and really gets the characters she’s writing for; I can’t sing her praises enough.

29. Middlefinger
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

sjwenings:
    Aegoner,
    Good point. Trust in D&D, then.

I don’t trust those guys at all.

The writing for S1 was disappointing in general . I think the other writers was outclassed by GGRM in terms of flow in the dialogs. Often they could have taken dialog directely from the book that was 10x better then what they went with.

Lots of awsome things from the book was cut and replaced with lamer things not in the book. Like the Theon head kick. And that unspeakable Littlefinger brothel scene.

On a plus note they seem to do better this season with better planing, adding a sense of scale with helicopter shots and various technical stuff. But even so… They seem to be changing so much Im going to have to hate it just on principle :P

30. Middlefinger
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

~Purist~Tears: Good question!

Here’s another good question, do you have two brain cells to rub together?

Might be he hasn’t, but at least he has a sense of humor…

31. Steven Swanson
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

~Purist~Tears: Good question!Here’s another good question, do you have two brain cells to rub together?

Edit: Damn, beaten to it by a Middlefinger….

32. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Middlefinger,

There’s a really easy solution to your problems with the show; don’t watch it and reread the books. Then you’ll get exactly what you know you like and you’ll not waste your, hopefully not worthless, time.

And I’m saying this in a friendly and sincere way, since the things you didn’t like with Season 1 is sure to be a factor in the rest of the series.

33. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Man it must suck to be a purist! I’d go insane I think. The best I can do is enjoy the show for them.

We need a Purist support group on this site. Though my approach to the whole purist issue vis a vis Game of Thrones adaptation is a lot easier: just pretend you are a Terry Goodkind fan and are watching Legend of the Seeker….works for me every time!

34. Ted furthman
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

~Purist~Tears,

I never said anything about women. I just think this writer is terrible. And how did Sue get to be a moderator when she calls everyone a troll who doesn’t agree with her. I’ve contributed to discussions on this site numerous times. She’s honestly the worst moderator, stick to the tumblr and stop calling people trolls

35. CortexiphanKid47
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I am SO glad to see an Alias veteran as a writer on the show. According to IMDB, she only wrote a couple of episodes in the first season, and was a co-producer for the first season of Alias.

I loved that TV show and grew up with it over my teenager years and it still ranks as one of my favorites for great intricate characters and plot lines. I’m excited to see her writing in Game of Thrones.

36. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I disagree with lots of people, but you are the only one I actually consider a troll.

For example, I agree with Purist Tears that the question about her having a boyfriend was kind of lame, but I don’t consider the others trolls for finding it funny. A difference in tastes.

37. Knurk
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Ted furthman:
    ~Purist~Tears,

I never said anything about women.I just think this writer is terrible. And how did Sue get to be a moderator when she calls everyone a troll who doesn’t agree with her.I’ve contributed to discussions on this site numerous times.She’s honestly the worst moderator, stick to the tumblr and stop calling people trolls

not to bust your balls Ted but it’s obvious your post is considered trollish because you are way overreacting for thinking the hiring of a writer/producer you don’t like will doom this show, that’s pretty dramatic.

Joshua Taylor: We need a Purist support group on this site.

meh, just send them to Linda on Westeros and they can cry all they want over Oona and Nonso.

38. poguemahone
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Good. A show with so many wonderful female characters needs some female input.

39. Mimsy
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Totally spit out my soda when I saw Middlefinger post. lmao The user name gave me quite the chuckle and all I can envision is Littlefinger.. Middlefinger.. Littlefinger… lol

Ahh.. I like the WIC nest..

Looking forward to see what Vanessa brings to the table.

40. darquemode
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

I genrally think occassionally even mediocre writers can write great episodes and even brilliant writers can do bad episodes….. However I’m just not a fan of Jane Espenson as a writer either.

Her best work to date was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it’s been downhill from there. Even on BTVS the episodes she actual wrote were usually more middle of the road than favorites of mine. She has a certain style and I just do not appreciate it much. Not “bad” in a literal way I guess , but I do not connect with her.

41. JamesL
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

The scripts she writes will most likely be just as much David and Dan’s scripts as hers. Bryan Cogman even said even though the episode he wrote was credited to him only it was just as much a David and Dan script because they rewrite things and add stuff. It was the same with Jane Espenson’s episode and I’m sure it will be the same with this new writer. It’s not like they just tell her write episode 6 and then whatever she writes they go and film.

42. purplejilly
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

The Dragon Demands:
    I’m just glad we can confirm they got rid of Jane Espenson.

She’s ruined every major project she’s touched in the last five years:

*the second half of Battlestar Galactica (seasons 3 and 4).

*Torchwood Series 4: Miracle Day

She didn’t even “write” A Golden Crown; she punched up the teleplay.

And you could kind of tell that Scatterbrain Jane took a pass at it:“quirky, snappy lines” at the expense of continuity.“Make the eight” — there are NINE regions, including the Crownlands, not Eight.

At least people finally stopped trusting her to be in a command position after Miracle Day, but once again, she’s used her past infamy to latch onto the current “it” show, in this case, Once Upon A Time…..what does she do, just bounce from one show to the next, promoting herself by saying “I worked on BSG/Caprica!” while neglecting to mention “My work on BSG and Caprica was controversial and poorly received!”.Yikes.She’s like Achilles from Ender’s Game.

AS much as I am a ‘girl power’ lady, I HATED what Jane Espensen wrote for GoT.
    I hated Sansa dissing her Septa – sounded way too “iCarly”, modern teenage snark, and not in line with Sansa’s politeness at all, and certainly sounded too modern to be Westerosi. All the snappy, punchy lines in that episode seemed like they were trying too hard, almost like it was Diablo Cody Hipster style. I like a fair amount of teen girl snark, or Diablo Cody Hipster Style, but NOT in my GoT!
    I’m really happy to hear this, and I hope she does us proud, and can bring some balance to the very heavy testosterone level that permeates GoT..I’m not familiar with any of the other shows she has written for, so we’ll see what happens.. Welcome Sister!

43. JamesL
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

OT- I think HBO has started to send out screeners of season 2 to critics based on this guys twitter http://twitter.com/#!/LATherocomplex. He writes for the LA Times and tweeted-

“Two things about new “Game of Thrones” make you smile right away: Dinklage now first in credits & someone dies four seconds into episode.”

44. Lala
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Maybe she’s good with romance and they needed her for Robb & Jeyne.

45. Maester Tcost
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

46. Langkard
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

Your explanation makes sense. The way it was written just didn’t make sense to me. I see it is changed now. All is good!

Maester Tcost:

I certainly hope so! He deserves to be in that category. He deserved to win in that category for last season, frankly.

47. Duvall
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Maester Tcost: If Peter Dinklage is now first in the credits, that suggests that the producers will put his name forward for Best Actor rather than Supporting.

That would make sense – Tyrion will probably be a lead character this season – but going up against Jon Hamm and Bryan Cranston for Best Lead Actor would be no joke.

48. Matt
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn,

Was already there it was ooookay

49. userj
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Alias is a well-written show.

Also, yay female writer/producer!!! Definitely much needed, IMO. Would it be too much to get a person of color too? :)

50. Brian
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Phoenix_torn,

I went on Sunday. Really good, not as big as I expected. Taking our picture on the throne was AWESOME!!!!

51. userj
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

purplejilly: AS much as I am a ‘girl power’ lady, I HATED what Jane Espensen wrote for GoT.

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more! I thought that Jane’s episode (6) was by far the best written. Just look at the Tyrion confession! She came up with all of that, by far the funniest scene in the whole series! Plus she was responsable for inserting Mormont house words into the dialogue I will love her forver. I was fairly sad she wasn’t writing this season…

52. ~Purist~Tears
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Steven Swanson: I hear if you rub two brain cells together it produces a sense of humor. Give it a try.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it by a Middlefinger….

53. ~Purist~Tears
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Middlefinger: Might be he hasn’t, but at least he has a sense of humor…

Oh I’m sorry, I should be laughing my ass off over all these terribly sexist comments that sound like they all came from people who have never actually interacted with any women and/or haven’t hit puberty yet. You’re absolutely right.

54. the goat
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34: As long as she’s not writing snarky lines to Septas I’m good.

“Now you are being rude!”

55. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

userj,

Yeah, ep 6 is probably my second favorite episode (after #5). I understand too that D&D have input all on the episodes and that the credited writer isn’t 100% responsible for all the scenes and dialogue we see. But I think Jane is great.

56. Dreamlife
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

>_>

I’m a bit baffled at the reaction to this post. It seems a lot of people are getting really nasty at a time when we should be happy and excited about season 2 of our favorite TV show. It’s times like these that I am relieved that D&D (and a lot of the people working on the show) avoid the internet.

Anyway, I am optimistic about bringing in a female writer. That’s just what the show needs: a woman’s perspective. I wish her all the best luck and look forward to what she has written for season 2.

I hear Alias and Everwood were good shows, but I never watched them. I will say that I did not enjoy Tell Me You Love Me at all (it seemed like pornography, but depressing? I almost puked during that graphic oral sex scene between an elderly couple in the first episode. That is NOT entertainment), but I don’t blame it on anyone other than the creator of the series. In Treatment was much, much better and didn’t result to “titillating” scenes for entertainment; it was all about the absolutely mesmerizing performances and writing.

57. Maxwell James
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Given what a big Harry Lloyd fan you are, I’m surprised you’re so down on Espenson, since several of his best scenes were in that episode. I thought it was easily one of the season’s strongest.

58. Java Beans
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Middlefinger: Theon head kick

is in the book. ACoK 24: Jon III, “Jon remembered a spray of red blood on white snow, and the way Theon Greyjoy had kicked the dead man’s head. The man was a deserter. On the way back to Winterfell, Jon and Robb had raced, and found six direwolf pups in the snow.”

On a different note, with Dinklage getting first billing I wonder if there’d be fans who would start worrying about Tyrion kicking the bucket in this season. ;D

59. Knurk
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Java Beans,

he meant that it was missing from the show, not the other way around.

60. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

If Dinklage is lead actor does that mean the credits will end with “and Stephen Dillane”? or “and Charles Dance”? Dance is getting main credits billing this season from what I’ve heard.

Perhaps Dillane could grab a best supporting actor nod? I really like the look for Stannis in the tv series especially the recent shots from the Weapons video. He has the uncompromising down to a T. Hopefully he will work well with Carice Van Houten who I hope will appear in the Stannis video with a few lines?

Personally I thought Dillane was robbed when Tom Wilkinson’s Ben Franklin beat his Thomas Jefferson for John Adams (they were both nominated performances). I like them both and Wilkinson’s Franklin was pretty spot on but Dillane’s Jefferson was a creation unto it self so much that I was more interested in Thomas Jefferson and his war with Hamilton than I was with the protgagonist (as good as Paul Giamatti was. I would definitely have watched a biography of Thomas Jefferson with Dillane in the lead role.

61. Shadowcat85
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I’m thinking the “and” will be Stephen Dillane and maybe “with” Carice Van Houten before that.

62. Hi-Fi
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Shadowcat85,

I doubt Carice will make it to the main credits, since apparently she’s only in 4 or 5 episodes.

63. LG
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:28 am | Permalink

True Blood is proof positive that plenty of female perspective in the writers’ room does not always work to counterbalance misogyny, or to keep all the testosterone in check. Some of the worst anti-woman crap and trashing of female characters on that show has flowed from the keyboards of its female writers. I just hope Taylor is a good writer full stop, who’s skilled at adaptation.

And I agree with Jilly that some of Espenson’s dialogue sounded far too modern. Hitting that balance between suggesting the more formal speech of the past and sounding too archaic is tough, and maybe it’s just not a knack she has. But some of those lines grated hard and yanked me right out of the episode.

64. Josh
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:42 am | Permalink

“Spirit” is a wonderful episode of Alias but she wrote a “Broken Heart Too”…I say but because Broken Heart is BEYOND wonderful, haha. It has ten of most Alias fans favorite minutes; Sydney being stood up by her father and then the Sydney and Vaughn conversation which made every Alias fan a ‘shipper’, including myself, and I hate shippers. And she wrote some pretty great episodes of Alias too.

I’m not at all concerned. I think she’ll get dialogue and human interaction/emotion down pat. Seriously, the Sydney/Stood Up Scene followed by the Sydney/Vaughn scene is…emotional ringer!

And she was involved with the whole two seasons as a whole and the first two seasons of Alias are two of my favorite seasons of television EVER(They’re both easily in my top ten..with season 2, without a doubt, being in my top 5 seasons ever…maybe even 3).

65. Steven Swanson
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:54 am | Permalink

~Purist~Tears: I hear if you think irrelevant heterosexist jokes are funny, you’re actually a dirtbag.

Heterosexist? Christ girlfriend, you need to chill.

This new writer is cute. He made a silly reference to it. It’s really not a big deal in any direction.

66. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Shadowcat85,

First of all your call sign: a reference to a certain predator of Westeros or Kitty Pryde? Either/or would be cool. :-)

Hypothetical Credits for Season 2, Episode I: This is based on the premise of two supporting characters(Jon and Dany getting more immediate roles, and certain other characters getting lesser roles, with the rumoured main credits additions tacked on for good measure.
    Addendum: there were several actors in season 1 who did not appear in all the episodes and were still featured in the credits…an international actress like Carice van Houten playing a popular character from the books…I think we will see her in th credits. Also, I do not think we will see Renly, Brienne or Margaery until the 2nd episode at least. Will Gethin Anthony be in the main credits?

Here we go! “da dah da dah da da…”

Peter Dinklage
    Kit Harrington
    Emilia Clarke
    Nicolaj Coster Waldau
    Michelle Fairley
    Lena Headey
    *zoom in on Westeros heading to King’s Landing*
    Richard Madden
    Iain Glenn
    *the gears begin to move*
    Aidan Gillen
    Jack Gleeson
    *King’s Landing is complete*
    Carice Van Houten
    Charles Dance
    * flying across Blackwater bay Dragonstone in the narrow sea*
    Sophie Turner
    Maisie Williams
    *Dragonstone’s gears begin to turn*
    Isaac Hempstead Wright
    Alfie Allen

Conleth Hill
    Ron Donachie
    Rory McCann
    Liam Cunningham

*Dragonstone completes its transformation*
    and Stephen Dillane

67. Shadowcat85
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Kitty Pryde :)

I’m guessing Natalie will be included in the episodes she appears in, and possibly Natalia Tena as well.

68. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Shadowcat85,

Awesome. My favourite X-Man next to Cyclops.

“oh my God you teach ethics?” Joss Whedon wrote her as good as Claremont in my opinion. She was basically the inspiration for Buffy.

69. Shadowcat85
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Yes, love that line. There are panels in Gifted that mirror Buffy to the tee- Colossus on his knees hugging Kitty a la Angel and Buffy S3; and Colossus and Kitty mirroring Buffy and Riley at the end of Hush.

70. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Steven Swanson,

71. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Shadowcat85,

We are getting off topic here but one of favourite re-reads is to read my trade of the Dark Phoenix saga and then Whedon’s Astonishing X Men run. They are wonderful companion pieces. My favourite moment is Astonishing’s post-coital flashback with Jean and Scott on top of the Mesa from the beginning of the Phoenix saga. Great writing there as with anything to do with the Scott/Emma relationship. Oh Emma Frost as much as I loved X Men First Class, January Jones ruined you so bad!

Anyways Game of Thrones season 2! Yeah!

72. Shadowcat85
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Yes, and yes & Rosamund Pike should have been Emma Frost

Yay GoT S2 :)

73. Sam's Pink Mast
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:45 am | Permalink

The Dragon Demands,

Shit. Tell us how you really feel. And not that it matters, but Achilles wasnt’t in Ender’s Game. He was in Ender’s Shadow.

74. KG
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:51 am | Permalink

Well, Alias always had crazy stuff going on, and Everwood was very talky and people-driven. \

She should be golden!

75. negar
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 4:14 am | Permalink

guys , why is Sean Bean in The North Remembers? mistake right?

76. p
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Is it the April 1 being so close that people start going mad over everything? Never expected to see this kind of discussion on this topic.
    Anyway, we’ll wait and see. She sure is experienced and there’s no reason to believe her work on GoT won’t be good.

77. Virtus
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 4:38 am | Permalink

negar,

IMDB isn’t trustworthy. But of course a flashback or a dream isn’t out of the question.

78. Magnus
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Virtus:
    negar,

It says archive footage. So could it be for appearing in “previously on Game of Thrones”? Or they would have had to plan that ahead while making season 1.

79. Anvil
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 6:05 am | Permalink

In other (good) news: As of May, Sky Atlantic (as part of the SKY HD package) will be available in Germany. The premiere of GoT’s 2nd Season will take place in May as well.

Source: http://www.serienjunkies.de/news/sky-atlantic-serienplaene-konkretisieren-38644.html

80. James
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

I love reading the articles on this site, but have never felt the need to comment until now. The comments directed towards Shadallion and the joke he posted, as well as those defending him, were uncalled for, and in some cases quite nasty.

Wasn’t this the website that had the running joke for months of a fan seeking Emilia Clarke’s phone number? I believe one of the moderators even brought it up with her in person. Why villify someone else for a joke that is along the same lines?

Strong feminism is just as bad as the male chauvInism that led to its origin. While I can’t say this for certain, from my experience on the site if the writer had been male and the comment was made, the response would have been very different.

While people certainly don’t have to find every joke funny, some – ~purist~ tears in particular – need to get over their gender issues or at least keep them to themselves. And this isn’t coming from a guy “who has never interacted with women” or hasn’t hit puberty yet – a very poor and personal response. I live with two women who are of a similar mind on such issues.

81. James
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 7:46 am | Permalink

And by the way, heterosexism involves the belief that heterosexuality is the better path. As I believe there is absolutely no readily available evidence that this woman is a lesbian, I don’t see what’s wrong with assuming she’s straight for the purpose of a little light entertainment. It was hardly a heterosexist joke.

82. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

LG
    And I agree with Jilly that some ofEspenson’s dialogue sounded far too modern. Hitting that balance between suggesting the more formal speech of the past and sounding too archaic is tough, and maybe it’s just not a knack she has. But some of those lines grated hard and yanked me right out of the episode.

Was she responsible for that horrid “oh, right, I don’t care” line towards Septa Mordane? That was out of character even for Sansa. I think everyone misremembers that Sansa’s a scared little kid (thirteen, guys!) way in over her head, not an out-and-out Gossip Girl. Hell, George forgot it sometimes. I always had sympathy for her, anyway.

83. David the Grey
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Have you tried Wolverine & The X-Men? I am loving Kitty in that series. :-)

Back on topic, I haven’t seen Everwood, but Alias S1 & S2 were awesome, and I also enjoyed the stark reality of Tell Me You Love Me. Although I will agree with Dreamlife that it is not entertainment. I don’t always watch TV for entertainment purposes, sometimes I watch it to actually learn things. (Yes, we can still learn things from scripted shows.) That show was about sexuality – and the including of an older couple’s sex life was just another face of that. Maybe nobody wants to see it, but I give them a ton of credit for keeping it real.

I have no real complaints about S1 – maybe some episodes were a bit slower than others, but overall I still love it all, and I have no worries about Season 2. 19 days and counting!!!!

84. Steve Westenra
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Welcome to the team! I don’t really know anything about her writing, having never seen the shows she’s worked on, but I’m sure she’ll be fine.

I also wasn’t a fan of Espenson’s episode, as there was a lot that seemed problematic character-wise, and the scenes seemed too self-conscious about coming off as clever. It just felt very heavy-handed and not especially faithful to the source material in a few cases. That’s not to say that every scene was awful, or that I didn’t enjoy the episode generally, but it was possibly my least favourite. I feel a little bad saying it, as I’ve enjoyed other stuff she’s done in the past, but I’m glad Espenson isn’t returning this season. I like to think of it as a clash of styles though, rather than her having no talent.

85. TastesLikeTheSea
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 9:02 am | Permalink

I hope she doesn’t pull an Ally Musika.

86. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Slightly off-topic: so Oona IS Jeyne Westerling?

87. James Brookes
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Surprised nobody else has offered the thought that maybe they are working at bulking up the writing staff for an increased number of episodes for Season 3/4 (making an assumption they get green-lit of course). D&D have mentioned many times that they can’t write more than 10 episodes a season and keep the same quality. Obviously there is more to it than just that, but if they are happy with the 2 episodes written by Ms Taylor it could bode well for the future.

Even in S2 I would imagine that taking two episodes off D&D’s plate allowed them to spend more time on other aspects of the show.

88. lefaisan
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

James Brookes,

The producers said they couldn’t producemore than 10 episodes a season and keep the same quality. The writing isn’t really a problem, but they wouldn’t have enough time/money to film/edit the extra episodes.

“We’d love to do more,” she says. “But it’s a very rigorous shoot. Doing more episodes might make it difficult to deliver the same quality.”

89. purplejilly
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Maxwell James: purplejilly,

Well, his dialogue and acting in Ep. 6 didn’t seem out of character, which I chalk up to the greatness of Harry Lloyd’s skill as an actor. Sansa’s lines and behavior, on the other hand, were jarring and brought me right out of the episode. But now that I’ve read more about how the episodes are mixed up with a lot of people’s effort in them, I guess I can’t really complain unless I know who wrote what lines.

90. Matt N
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I’ve enjoyed all the shows this lady has written for (Everwood especially, loved that), so I’m happy to wait and see what she has to offer here. And may I also say: yummy :)

91. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Considering how much more challenging the books get after ACOK adding more writers is a good thing.

92. Steven Swanson
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Steven Swanson, Actually, someone commenting on the writer’s appearance within three posts bothered me as well. As far as “jokes” go, it wasn’t particularly funny. And addressing someone with a false term of endearment like “girlfriend” when you’re being dismissive of her concerns? Not so hot either. Just my two cents.

Referring to an innocuous one-liner as “heterosexist” isn’t so hot either. In fact it’s just stupid, and the dismissiveness was earned.

Alright, dropping it now, this whole subject is even more tiresome than arguing about the writers.

93. Steven Swanson
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Pink Dragon: Slightly off-topic: so Oona IS Jeyne Westerling?

They’re doing something funny with that character, she definitely is “Jeyne”, and will fill a role similar to Jeyne Westerling, but it’s going to be more complicated than that. GRRM referred to this in a recent blog post, he was very cryptic but it was clear that they’d altered that character’s identity somehow.

94. James Brookes
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

lefaisan:
    James Brookes,

My understanding is it is both. It seems likely taking some of the writing duties off of D&D might open them up to being able to produce more. Or maybe, since this was for S2 after all, they needed to do it to focus more energy on the production aspects even with just the 10 episodes.

This is admittedly highly speculative, but I think worth a thought.

95. Vanderhook
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

~Purist~Tears,

Oh wow. You need to really relax and stop getting so offended at every post. Just about every post I’ve seen of yours is you being offended, mostly at little to nothing. In my experience, people who go around looking to be offended generally have underlying issues themselves. Please don’t take your issues out on other posters here. The post wasn’t a big deal or sexist in anyway, certainly not “heterosexist”; I don’t even know where you would get that, how on Earth did you infer that his post was anti-homosexual? Talk about jumping to conclusions.

But as for the topic at hand — I’m unfamilliar with this writers work, so I can’t speak as to whether I am excited or not. Honestly I don’t pay attention to who is writing each episode (except when its GRRM himself). All I know is that every single episode of season one was phenomenal, so I have faith in D&D’s selections.

Episode 6 was not a bad episode by any means, and one of my favorites. I agree that Sansa’s snarky line was a bit out of character, but the episode as a whole was excellent. I liked King Roberts “making the eight” scene as well as Tyrion’s confession.

And just for the record, I also agree that Ours is the Fury is not the best moderator. Just overall not as professional as the others here: too quick to call others trolls, and often gets dragged into petty arguments that derail the thread (not that I’m one to talk, as evidenced by this very post, but I’m not a moderator.)

96. Ed
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Bravo! Great post, here. When I read the original “She have a boyfriend?” comment, I chuckled. If someone actually gets offended by that.. I just don’t know what to say. “Get over yourself” comes to mind. Life is WAY too short to get your panti… Uh, underwear in a bunch over a silly comment like that.

As many lusty comments are made concerning Kit Harrington, NWC, and others, I find it extremely hypocritical to hear women get up in arms about a harmless question about boyfriends.

Really, people.

James:

97. Ed
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Totally agree with this:

Pink Dragon: Was she responsible for that horrid “oh, right, I don’t care” line towards Septa Mordane? That was out of character even for Sansa. I think everyone misremembers that Sansa’s a scared little kid (thirteen, guys!) way in over her head, not an out-and-out Gossip Girl. Hell, George forgot it sometimes. I always had sympathy forher, anyway.

98. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Nimble Dick,

I don’t hate Jane Espenson because she’s female. Too often she hides behind that; “oh you don’t like a strong female writer” thing.

On BSG, they actually let go ALL of their female writers (Toni Graphia, Carla Robinson, Anne Cofell Saunders) when Jane came on board (whether you can say she “replaced” them or “was picked to replace that gap” is unknown).

I don’t hate Jane because she’s a woman and this isn’t what is at stake.

I hate Jane because she’s a bad writer.

99. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Sam’s Pink Mast,

Well I meant the overall “Ender’s Game universe” – Ender-verse?

100. The Dragon Demands
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

That was episode 8 ? Wow no wonder. I remember there was an episode where Sansa was acting out of character with Mordane but I forgot it was that one.

I’m rewatching season 1 with newbie friends in preparation for season 2, I’ll keep my eyes out for it.

***Its by no means a bad episode, but you have to ask yourself: how much of this is enjoyable *because GRRM wrote it* — either the general situation or actual lines of dialogue quoted from the books…

…and how much was enjoyable because it was Jane’s adaptation?

Yes, there is a large amount of work involved in adapting something to screen…but she wrote the teleplay, she punched up something the main writers had already broken. I wonder why they called her in for that, given that they’re normally very close-knit with only 4 writers including GRRM.

I mean essentially….I LOVE episode 8, because Viserys gets his “Golden Crown” in it….but that wasn’t Jane’s idea.

Some have been praising Jane’s teleplay and lines, which is accurate and fair….but some of the casual news, Entertainment Weekly types….I saw those types actually praising Jane for *plot elements* like specifically that, even though its a book adaptation.

There’s only so much Jane can screw up a book adaptation, when the plot already exists, and the head writers already broke the story, and just told her to write the teleplay — that is, the actual specific dialogue.

And judging by “the specific dialogue” in the teleplay….yeah, people said things a bit out of character here and there, because Jane thought they were great lines.

A writer should pick a character’s personality, then figure out what they should say.

Late-BSG, in the Jane-era….from the podcasts, they’d openly admit that they were doing the reverse: they’d come up with great, quirky lines, then try to see how they could cram them into an episode, often haphazardly assigning them to characters that didn’t really fit the line.

101. Bathory
    Posted March 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

When it comes to writing for the show, I hope they stop with the random out of character bits – they have a great source to fall back on, and a lot of dialogue can literally just be copy/pasted and still work wonderfully. To be honest, this is the one thing that makes me apprehensive about the future of the show, too many writers being “original” and missing the point. There is no need to try to be cool, the series is awesome as is.

That said, I hope this lady proves to be a good addition to the team.

102. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:51 am | Permalink

David the Grey,

Loved Wolverine and the X Men! I liked it better than the 90s X Men series that Fox had actually. Too bad they never got a chance to show their vision of the Age of Apocalypse. The best thing about the series was how well they blended the mythology together.

My only complaint and you may hate me for saying this…but that ain’t my Kitty Pryde. They made her a spunky, sarcastic teeny-bopper. Kitty Pryde was awkward, shy, pretty but not beautiful, gawky, smart, tough but timid, stubborn and she could be funny too don’t get me wrong, but she was very far from her portrayal in that series. They had to make her a typical teenager I guess. Great series but I wasn’t a fan of their interpretation of Kitty.