Game of Thrones S1 DVD/Blu-ray debuts at no. 2 on the charts
By Winter Is Coming on in News.

Game of Thrones Blu-RayGame of Thrones: The Complete First Season was the second highest selling home video set of the week, according to Nielsen VideoScan. The sales for the Thrones box set were topped only by the action flick Immortals. Nielsen also reports that around 57% of the sales for Thrones were for the Blu-ray version. Not surprising considering it was only $5 more expensive than the DVD at most retailers and the Blu-ray had a bunch more special features.

As a point of reference, the first season of Boardwalk Empire debuted at a distant third on the best seller list with only 39% of its sales for the Blu-ray version. Nielsen doesn’t give out exact numbers, so we will have to wait for other outlets to report them to get a more accurate picture.

Winter Is Coming: A solid debut. I thought it had a chance at being no. 1 but no. 2 is not bad. I imagine it will have some legs, as more people get intrigued about the show with season two marketing now in full swing. Those EW covers may help too.

[Thanks to Knurk for the tip!]

1. Héctor G. López De Victoria Vélez
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

First (lol).

Also: still #1 on Amazon after more than a week on that position. :]

2. Brad Villane
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Despite being #2, I’m sure it was the most profitable release of the week, as Immortals probably cost about half as much to buy.

3. Knurk
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

This is really good, Immortals was always going to beat GoT on this chart. I already read reports that Immortals was selling like crazy the first couple of days of its release and that it was the hardest-selling bluray of 2012. It’s a very good sign GoT is only 25% behind it and leaving all the competition at a big distance with almost selling twice as much as the number 3 Footloose.

Edit: I also read that Nielsen doesn’t produce the numbers because Wallmart won’t give their sales-details, and since Wallmart sells about 40% of all the DVD’s and Blurays you can only estimate very roughly and with a big margin of error how much copies are sold. This is what the-numbers.com does.

4. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Brad Villane,

I was going to say the same thing. Considering the difference in price, GoT has probably brought in more money than Immortals, overall. I’m guessing GoT probably costs about twice as much, so HBO has to be happy about that. Those are big numbers for a 5 disc set.

5. JC
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Knurk pretty much said everything I was about to say. From what I read elsewhere online, after only 24 hours of sales, Immortals was reportedly on track to be the bestselling disc of 2012. So for the sales of Game of Thrones to be running 24% behind that with a more expensive price tag is pretty damn solid.

6. JamesL
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Pretty disappointing that a movie like Immortals, which wasn’t a huge blockbuster hit beat Game of Thrones. Maybe it’s not quite as popular as I was hoping, at least not in America. I wonder what the actual sales numbers are though and how it compares to other shows DVD/Blu Rays sales.

7. Vince
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

What the heck is this Immortals though? I’ve clearly been living under a rock. I’ve heard of Game of Thrones, but not Immortals. :p

8. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

On the first day it was on sale, neither Best Buy nor Target had any left on the shelves.

I had to ask the Best Buy clerk to run in the back and pull out my Stark-cover Blu Ray.

HBO has made $

9. bon
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

It shows DVD/Blu-rays sold in America alone or with Europe?

10. Maxwell James
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Immortals, huh? I wouldn’t have guessed. But then, predicting DVD sales is kind of a fool’s game. Or at least best left to the experts.

Last year the 10th highest seller was the actioner Red, with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren. It was the 39th highest grossing film worldwide. Immortals by contrast was 26th, although the overall take was about the same.

What’s interesting is Immortals hasn’t done very well on Amazon – it currently ranks 50th. So we’re definitely seeing some kind of online/offline divide.

11. SergioCQH
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

People who shop on Amazon tend to be more tech savvy and educated. People who buy DVDs from Wal-Mart, not so much. People who are more educated tend to not be interested in mindless crap like Immortals.

12. Knurk
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH: People who buy DVDs from Wal-Mart, not so much

bon:
    It shows DVD/Blu-rays sold in America alone or with Europe?

US alone. I really don’t know of a UK-site that tracks dvd and bluray sales actually.

Edit: google gave me this UK-site: http://www.bva.org.uk/market-information/dvd-sales-chart

13. tysnow
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

I was expecting a 2nd or 3rd but was hoping for numero uno. One thing I noticed in the stores, especially Best Buy and Walmart, that Immortals was placed in a big display right up front, while GoT was located on a shelf behind the Immortals (Best Buy actually blocked the GoT dvd’s with Immortals and Footloose).
    It shows that Fox paid big bucks to Best Buy to display and block out the other titles being released. Money talks. (Is this legal, by the way, seems like unfair trade practice?)
    What was interesting is that there were less than a dozen copies left. half BlueRay of GoT while there was still perhaps 200 of Immortals left and it was 11 in the morning.
    The cashier girl didn’t even know about GoT before the dvd sales, and said the all the preorders were picked up and they hopefully would get a new shipment in by the next day.
    I explained how GoT was one of the best tv shows ever, very adult, mature but also fun to watch while being intriquing to boot. So I bought her a copy, figuring she couldn’t afford one.
    Hopefully one more fan to add and more if she likes it and shows to others.

14. tysnow
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

On another note…..HBO just cancelled Luck, hopefully they won’t pressure BE, GoT and TB to make up the slack because of the money spent on Luck.

15. SergioCQH
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Wall-mart figures aren’t included, they don’t release their sales to Nielsen or anybody.

I wasn’t talking about the Nielsen chart. Was just using Wal-Mart as an example of a brick-and-mortar store.

16. Queensmoot
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

The Blu-ray is really amazing. It’s taken me two nights to watch just the special features!

I hope this means that HBO will okay seasons 3&4 together so that they can be filmed concurrently.

17. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

you actually bought a complete stranger a copy of Game of Thrones on DVD?

Awesome!!!!

18. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Anyone discovered the easter eggs yet ? I caught Jason’s audition :) Also the complete guide to Westeros is amazing.

19. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

It’s #1 on Amazon.co.uk, anyways I see it remaining in the charts for years to come, it’ll be a series that keeps getting spread by word of mouth much like Band Of Brothers.

20. Elaine
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

tysnow:

That’s the first I’ve heard of Luck being cancelled…I’ve moderately enjoyed the show, but I’m not surprised at it being cancelled.

21. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Luck was canceled because during the shoot three horses died !!!! it’s ratings weren’t that great either round about 475,000 but it was expected to be renewed because of the star power involved.

22. Elaine
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

The Kingslayer,

Yeah, it was a bit of a snoozer. I don’t even know why I kept watching the show, unless it was to make me feel like I wasn’t wasting money on my HBO subscription.

23. DavosFTW!
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

awesome work tysnow. I hope she got your number too so she can thank you properly?

24. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I always expected Luck to be a slow burner, things were finally starting to pick up in the fourth episode. But yeah from a series involving Hoffman, Nolte, Milch and Mann I expected a little more.

25. Dave
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Luck is cancelled? I haven’t seen it yet, but I was interested in watching the series because of the people involved. David Milch just doesn’t have any… ahem… luck with HBO. At least he got three seasons of Deadwood… oh, how I miss that show.

26. Brad Villane
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:08 am | Permalink

I really wanted Luck to be good. My parents raised me on horse racing. Gave it two episodes. Half the characters spoke in these hushed mumbles, which I expected from Nolte, but not Hoffman. Thought it was kinda boring. Really sucks about the horses.

Wonder what HBO will replace it with?

27. Elaine
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:27 am | Permalink

I finally started turning on closed captioning sometime around the fourth episode. Before that I had no clue what was going on.

28. Nimble Dick
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Still waiting to get my Blu-ray player

then i will need a better tv

29. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 1:03 am | Permalink

It doesn’t surprise me that it was beat by Immortals. Does it deserve to be beat by Clash of the Titans 2.0? Absolutely not, but I worked the day they were released (cashier at Target) and had several copies of Immortals come through my line, and no copies of Thrones :(
    I think there are a lot more stereotypical ALRIGHTMINDLESSVIOLENCEANDCGI-bros out there who eat up shit like Immortals.

30. sjwenings
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 1:35 am | Permalink

Feels like a disappointment, but don’t really know yet. Will be interesting to see the actual total numbers.

31. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 3:27 am | Permalink

G_Lee,

in amazon immortals is nowhere in the top ten list.

32. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    tysnow,

you actually bought a complete stranger a copy of Game of Thrones on DVD?

Awesome!!!!

I was about to say the same!!!

Tysnow you have to go back and ask her how did she liked the show!!

Also, I’d really like to see the overall sale figures, specially how many copies they sold in USA and in Europe, just to see the ratio…so there’s no wayt to know how many copies Wallmart sells? Clearly HBO will end up knowing them right?

PS: I wouldn’t be too bothered about this or that movie beating GoT…the important figure is the overall number of copies sold

33. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 6:50 am | Permalink

I got my Blu-Ray yesterday. It’s an amazing set, one of the best I’ve seen for any series.
    The commentaries are fun, especially the one with Lena Headey, Mark Addy and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Lena Headey is in love with the f-word, it seems …

34. Ed P. Ian-Connington
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 6:54 am | Permalink

tysnow,

Just admit it, the main reason why you bought this girl a copy is because you want to go out with this girl? Am I right or am I right?

Being inspired by tysnow, I bought a homeless man a copy. That’s right, I didn’t give him food or money, I bought him the complete season one of Game of Thrones on DVD, just to show how I’m a big fan of GoT. Now give me some praises and tell me how cool I am, people.

35. Yeekim
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 7:19 am | Permalink

Ed P. Ian-Connington:
    tysnow,

Even if tysnow had such an ulterior motive, it does not make what he did any less cool.

36. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 7:52 am | Permalink

I would make a relevant comment, but I still do not understand the purpose of Sir Hugh of the Vale… the biggest unsolved mystery/puzzle of the ASOIAF series..

37. David the Grey
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:04 am | Permalink

tysnow:

I saw an article in TV Guide that Luck was cancelled due to accidents with horses. With all of the horses in GoT, I sure hope GoT is accident-free and doesn’t come under any of the same fire that Luck did!!!

38. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:05 am | Permalink

bought 5 blurays and 4 dvd boxset, and i will do so every 2 or 3 months to have spares to give away.
    Sadly it’s not in your numbers as i buy them on amazon from France.

39. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:08 am | Permalink

another season 1 .. issue.. :

In episode 5 when Robert is at a small council meeting to discuss Dany getting pregnant.. why is he so obsessed with killing Daenerys because she may have a son, when in fact at this point Viserys IS STILL ALIVE! [he dies at the end of episode 6!]. Shouldn’t Robert be more concerned with killing Viserys, a male Targaryen, who can lead the army now, rather than Dany’s son, who may lead an army in 20years?!?!

40. Jackol
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:15 am | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

Er, that was in the context of tying a legitimate Targaryen claim to the throne of Westeros with the might of the Dothraki.

Viserys himself had no armies and posed no threat.

41. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Jackol,

but Viserys had given Drogo Dany for a Dothraki army.. How is Robert supposed to know that the Dothraki did not keep up their end of their bargain?

and answer me this.. If Lysa killed Jon Arryn , why is she so angry that Cat brought Tyrion to0 the Eryie. she was so convinced that Tyrion/Lannister’s killed Jon that she put him on trial… Does she have Alzheimer’s/Huntington’s or something? SHE POISONED JON ARRYN HERSELF!

42. Winterdark
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:26 am | Permalink

tysnow:

Really? That’s gotta be a record for HBO for soonest cancelled show. Glad I didn’t get into it.

43. Steve
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Not sure where to post this but a pretty thorough interview with GRRM by George Stroumboulopoulos on CBC.

44. Winterdark
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know if there’s a difference between the original version and international versions. I just ordered the Dutch/French version (no creditcard so no Amazon) and it was a ridiculous amount cheaper than the original version which is odd unless it contains less material. The website I ordered it from didn’t mention anything about what special features are on it but it did mention it was a five disc set. Same as the original. So does any of you guys know if there are differences between the versions?

45. G_Lee
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Winterdark,

Theres only 1 Type of BD box Sets. Should be the same everywhere except the language of course

46. Winterdark
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

G_Lee,

Does the same thing go for DVD box sets? Cause I bought the DVD not the Blu-Ray. I know I’m missing out but I just don’t have the money to buy a Blu-Ray player right now and I don’t own any kind of playstation. (I hear you can also play Blu-Rays on those)

47. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Steve,

LOL! hahahaha I love how the interviewer sneaked in that last question! obviously from george’s reaction tho the theory is true… no doubt about it now..

48. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

HERP-DERP:

ACTIIIIING

49. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

Robert et al were receiving information from Jorah. This information would have made it clear that the Dothraki were heading in the wrong direction and were no immediate threat. It was also well known that the Dothraki despise salt water and would never cross. It all seemed very unrealistic – Robert and Ned cover these bases in their conversation on the way south – even with this deal brokered, it was very unlikely the Dothraki would ever invade. But when Dany became pregnant, it became a much more likely proposal – her child would be raised by her, and when he inevitably (in Robert’s eyes) became Khal, he would invade to take back his throne.

As for Lysa, it is obvious. The one thing she cares about most in the world is her son. She keeps all the knights of the vale out of the war to protect him – as such, Catelyn bringing the imp (and therefore the army of Tywin Lannister) to the Eyrie was terrifying for her.

50. 0KEN0
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Hey, not precisely on topic here, but just discovered this great interview with GRRM done by the wonderful Canadian late night talk show host George Strombo. This link contains the extended interview with stuff that didn’t make it on the TV show. Good stuff!

51. Winterdark
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Steve,

Hey thanks for that. Great interview. The interviewer (who’s name I will not mention cause I’m sure I’m gonna misspel it) really got some good questions. And of course GRRM is awesome like always. So looking forward to his commentary on ep8

52. Ante
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Here in Croatia pricetag is 300 kunas or, converted – 52 dollars! And that’s for the DVD version!! Do I even have to compare average salaries? With normal price they could at least count on fans buying it, but now I know I won’t. And they wonder why there is so much piracy. :D

53. Elaine
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Ante,

LOL, my Croatian in-laws are extremely religious, and they all pirate anyway! 300 kn is what, 10% of an average monthly salary?

54. Ante
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Well… officialy that would be considered as 5.5% of average salary. But problem with average figures here is that there are far more people under average and far less people above, but they are way above. So if u cosider middle class that is 7-8% of an average monthly salary.

55. sjwenings
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

So are these american sales only?

56. the goat
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Dammit, GoT woulda been #1 if D&D had put in more direwolves! & purple eyes!!!!

Don’t even get me started on the fake snow, or the horrible, horrible chairs.

In fact, I’m shocked GoT somehow snuck into second place (obviously some sinister Iranian/N. Korean/Peta scheme), Footloose and The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride were both superior works of fiction.

(Although, technically, Footloose should be in the non-fiction category, since it was based on a true story.)

Posted March 15, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

sjwenings:
    So are these american sales only?

58. sjwenings
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: Yes.

Good, I guess. I imagine it’ll sell better per citizen in European countries that air GOT.

59. Maxwell James
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

OK, so… I’m a nerd. In more ways than one. But who isn’t around here? Anyway, I realized it might be possible to ballpark GoT’s disc sales through the information that is available. Extremely ridiculous, lengthy post to follow.

Home Media Magazine releases its data in index form – so for example, we know that GoT sold 76% as many discs as Immortals last week. We also know from the same chart that Puss in Boots, which has been out for 3 weeks, sold 33% as many discs as Immortals. So GoT sold 2.3x as many discs as Puss in Boots (.76/.33)

And there’s data out for Puss in Boots. In its first week it sold 851,000 DVDs and about 568,000 blu-rays (Blu-ray share of 39%); in the second it sold 797,000 DVDs and about 504,000 blu-rays. Total of 2,720,000 discs through two weeks – 1.42 million in week 1, 1.3 million in week 2. So all we have to do is project PnB’s week three totals and we can back out the sales for Immortals and GoT.

But! project PnB week three is not totally straightforward. DVD sales seem to have half lives; the typical decline, for big hits, seems to be 50% or more per week. So for instance the latest Twilight movie sold 2.4 million DVDs as preorders, 1.4 million its first week, 489,000 its second week, and 216,000 it’s third week (all from the-numbers.com). PnB by contrast had a much slower decline, but that’s probably because a) it doesn’t seem to have had many preorders to speak of, and b) it was released on a Friday (Feb. 24), when most discs are released on Tuesdays.

So taking that into account, I think it’s likely that PnB saw a very steep decline in its third week, or really it’s week 2.5. I could try to do a fancy calculation, but it’s simpler and more straightforward to just do a sensitivity analysis. PnB sold 1.3 million discs last week. So for this week –

If it dropped 90%, that would mean ~130,000 units for PnB, and 299,000 for GoT (130k*2.3).
    If it dropped 80%: that would mean ~260,000 units for PnB, and 598,000 for GoT.
    If it dropped 65%: that would mean ~455,000 units for PnB, and 1.04 million for GoT.
    If it dropped 50%: that would mean ~650,000 units for PnB, and 1.49 million for GoT.

I doubt the last is likely – I’d be very surprised if PnB dropped less than 65%. But even 299,000 is quite good for a TV series in its first week, and the higher numbers are extraordinary. By contrast, True Blood S3 sold 611,000 units its first week. The Walking Dead, 279,000 units.

60. Conor
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  61. sjwenings
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Conor,

Great news! Best selling first week HBO release. You really couldn’t realistically have hoped for anything more than that.

F*ck. Just noticed MAxwells link. http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/weekly/2011/20110605.php

True blood beat it handidly with its third season.

62. Maxwell James
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

LOL. So much for all my research…

63. Maxwell James
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

Actually, I’m not so sure. The 350,000 may be referring to DVD’s only, and 57% of GoT’s sales were blu-rays. That would suggest a possible total of 813,000 disks in week 1.

That said, I remember reading that True Blood sold well over 1.6 million discs in its first season, though I’m not sure how many of those were in the first week. The disc market has declined significantly since then, however.

64. sjwenings
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Yeah, maybe. But that might be true for the 600 k for True blood too, since it only says “dvd sales”

Regardless: At least GOT beat The Walking dead – thats pretty strong.

65. gswelcome
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

hmph, prices are going up for these, wish i had the money to have bought this sooner

66. Pablo Jainaga
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Curious, especially since Inmortals was complete bullsh**.

67. Owen
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

The Kingslayer:
    Luck was canceled because during the shoot three horses died !!!!it’s ratings weren’t that great either round about 475,000 but it was expected to be renewed because of the star power involved.

It was renewed after its premiere. The cancellation came while shooting season 2.

68. Thiago Slash