Quick Hits: Game updates, GRRM talks at TIFF, and more
By Winter Is Coming on in Books, Events, Merchandise, Press.
  • Atlus has released a new trailer showing the combat mechanics for the Game of Thrones RPG. Also A Podcast of Ice And Fire recently interviewed some Atlus reps about the game.
  • Bigpoint showed off their free-to-play Game of Thrones MMORPG to journalists recently. MMORPG.com has some very positive impressions from this initial demo. IGN has a few more thoughts, and screenshots as well.
  • Rittenhouse Archives has announced a series of Thrones trading cards, including cards signed by certain cast members.
  • Kristian Nairn was at Wondercon this weekend and visited the Game of Thrones booth and… this was the result.
  • Shadowlocked gives their top 10 most anticipated moments of season two (minor spoilers).
  • George R. R. Martin gave a talk at the recent Thrones event in Toronto. Here it is in three parts, including Martin reading a bit of Winds of Winter at the end (although there are spoilers for all the books throughout): part 1, part 2, part 3.
  • For more on “Game of Thrones: The Exhibition”, check out this video report from The Globe and Mail.
  • Matt Zoller Seitz of Vulture wonders what Luck‘s cancellation in the face of a third horse death could mean for Game of Thrones.
  • Speaking of horses dying, Conan Stevens addressed the recasting of Gregor at his official site. Basic gist: he would have loved to continue playing Gregor, but the production decided to go in a different direction. However, he is grateful for the opportunity they gave him and is open to returning in a future season, if they want him.

1. Knurk
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Speaking of horses dying

lol. Real bummer about Luck though, that show was fantastic. Guess that makes season 3 greenlight even more a fact or HBO has some holes to fill.

2. DavosFTW!
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

SECOND! and now to read the article…

3. Idaan
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

What’s the deal with Conan Stevens quitting? I really loved him as Gregor, as he pretty much perfectly matched my head-Gregor. He had the exact mix of bulk and energy, with a fitting facial expression. I’m not so sure about the new guy. The mention of HBO “wanting to go in a different direction” is pretty vague – is it about them cutting down the amount of Conan’s fight scenes in S1?

Also, I love how he’s all for appearing in Season 3 as “a herpetologist” – knowledge of reptiles is required when dealing with poisonous Vipers after all.

4. Virtus
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Maybe they’ll make the Mountain wear his great helm all the time on season 2. That way Conan could smoothly return on season 3.

5. Morgan King
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Aw – it’s unrealistic with a cast this large, but I was really hoping we could make it through the first few seasons without any characters being recast – it’s always so jarring!

6. Shikatsu
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I do hate when shows recast but I’m sure HBO had their reasons. Maybe he will show up later as a good citizen from Dorn perhaps? He actually looks more to me like a certain Dorn prince than the mountain.

7. spacepope
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

strange that they didnt want him back, i thought he was good in the few scenes he had. maybe they wanted a more accomplished actor since he has more lines in season 2? disappointing because stevens really had that angry, ‘im going to fucking kill you all’ attitude that ser gregor walks around with down pat

8. Magnus
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

When the news were first broken that he was recast they said that it was because there were scheduling conflicts with his work on the Hobbit. I think it is strange that Conan doesn’t mention that and make it seem like HBO wanted a different actor.

9. Chrysee
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I swear I remember months ago Conan addressing this in a different way. That he was pursuing other projects, like The Hobbit. I remember being annoyed that he was using GOT as a stepping stone to other, bigger projects after trying so hard to get this part. And now he seems to indicate HBO didn’t want him back? That is not what I remember from the original announcement of the recast, but whatever.

10. rezze23
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I am also disappointed with the recast of Gregor… Conan Stevens seemed to be a great match for the role. The new guy playing Gregor is very skinny/ doesn’t have the fierce look for the role…. But we shall see I suppose.

11. userj
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Eh, I’m fine with a recast of Gregor. Sure he looked the part, but can’t help but wonder if they purposefully minimized his screentime in season one.

For example, in one interview D&D mention that the Green Fork battle was supposed to be Tyrion following the Mountain around but they realized it would be too difficult to pull off and went with the Tyrion knockout. That could be because of the expense, but they didn’t even use Gregor in the war council scenes and that clearly wasn’t because of cost issues. In fact they had a bunch of random people there, one of them could easily have been Gregor. I can’t help but wonder if there was a reason for that.

12. Lars
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Magnus:

Agreed. That is my recollection as well – I’m always suspicious about actors wanting back and blaming someone else for their departure. It is not uncommon.

13. G_Lee
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Winter, maybe you should warn people that the interview with Martin is about the books! Thus it contains spoilers for all 5 books.

Posted March 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Magnus:

That was all just speculation. In fact, in Conan’s final comment on here, he indicated that our post was the first he had heard of a Gregor recast. Which means it wasn’t a scheduling conflict that couldn’t be worked out between him and the production; they never even reached out to Conan about returning for season two. Hence, his statement about them wanting to go a different direction.

15. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Hodor nooooooooooooooooooooo.

16. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Different direction ? Conan is exactly how I pictured The Mountain.

17. Jordan Healey
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

One of those behind the scenes things we’ll probably never learn the truth about.

Damn shame as well.

18. Restore the Day
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 2:04 am | Permalink

So did anyone watch the full GRRM interview and was it worth the time? Any good tidbits?

19. Ye Olde Wolfe
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 2:42 am | Permalink

I watched the full interview and found it very entertaining, and had some good laughs from George. There’s also a nice little surprise at the 30:00 mark in part 3 ;)

20. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

I’ve also watch them and is totally worth it. Some stuff has already been seen in other interviews but some of the new stuff is pretty interesting (and the quality of the sound is very good, wich is not always the case in this panel thinguies)

For example, when he talks about what he would do different if he was to write the books again, he says that he would like to expand Robbs adventure’s in the west, much like D&D are doing ton the TV show in this upcoming season

21. Ash
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Mine seems to stop just as he starts the winds reading! Anyone else with same problem?

22. Ash
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 4:38 am | Permalink

Working now, no matter

23. Obsidian
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I was interested to hear GRRM mention in the tiff interview that Michael J. Bassett ( director and fan ) had sent him a screener of his Solomon Kane movie ( starring James Purefoy..and which might finally be getting a NA release ). I know Bassett said last year that he’d love to direct some GOT..I wonder if anything will come of it…

I stumbled across Bassett’s blog a couple of years ago. He’s an interesting and engaging young director.. http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/

In NA you can only see snippets of Solomon Kane on YouTube ..but even from that , I can imagine he’d be a good fit for some of the season 3 – 4 content.

24. Obsidian
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Here’s the Kane trailer, just for example.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDZNHYLDOY

And I’d still love to see Purefoy as Oberyn…if the part’s not too small…

25. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

great interview (though the lady sometiems didn’t let Martin speak much haha).

and man, what a tease!

26. John
    Posted March 21, 2012 at 4:32 am | Permalink

I thought the interview with Martin was very interesting. Unfortunately, the interviewer was terrible. And I say that as someone with a background in journalism. Her questions were fine, but damn did she step all over the interview by constantly making stupid comments while Martin was telling a story or explaining something, cracking unfunny jokes and generally interrupting Martin as much as possible. Memo to interviewer: we’re not watching for you. We want to hear what Martin has to say. He obviously doesn’t need much prodding. Just ask the questions and shut the hell up.

27. Gareth
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

I call BS on Conan. After making such a sob story out of auditioning for the role of Gregor and getting the fanbase to support him, he didn’t waste any time in over-committing himself elsewhere once his foot was in the door and people knew he existed. Easy to let HBO be the bad guys and make the tough decision to secure a reliable actor for the role.

28. Gareth
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Not saying Conan’s a bad guy for moving his career forward. He was awesome as Gregor and deserves his opportunities. When Gregor went off his horse and shouted for his sword, I was convinced he was surprised and disappointed. Conan though? Not so convincing.