Yet another interview round-up
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Some day, we will stop getting new interviews, but that day is not today. Here is another round-up of the interviews to hit the web.

Access Hollywood chats with Carice van Houten

Access: You’re on Twitter, what’s been the reaction like so far?

Carice: Oh man, I had no idea that it was so huge. I even [have] people following me now from like, Indonesia to New Zealand, to anywhere in the world really. They’re so excited, which is great, of course, but at the same time, it feels like a huge responsibility that I have, especially after Season 1… And especially because there’s a certain look about her that people have a certain idea about in their head and I might or might not live up to that. I’m not — I don’t think — the ‘babe’ per se. Do you know what I mean?

CNN interviews Kit Harington

CNN: Are you encouraged to not wash your hair?

Harington: I don’t wash it anyway when I’m filming. It’s my choice in a kind of strange little way. I think when we shot the pilot one of the things that was wrong about it was that everybody looked too clean. There wasn’t enough dirt on people’s faces. Hair was too slicked back. When they saw the pilot they rang and said, “Can you grow your hair? Grow a beard, we want it to look a bit dirtier and grubbier and more visceral.” We were in Iceland for about a month and I kind of let it build up. It was very, very nice to wash it by the end.

IGN TV talks with David Benioff

IGN: You being a huge fan of the books, was there anything that you had to let go of, or write out of the season, that was painful?

Benioff: Well, some of the things we’re kind of putting off and delaying instead of just letting them go. With the first season we were pretty much more or less able to adapt the novel Game of Thrones. But going forward we’re thinking of the TV series as an adaptation of the entire saga. So it’s now the Song of Ice and Fire that we’re trying to adapt. And whether or not the second season actually mirrors the second book or not is less important to us than the whole series. When we’re done, provided that HBO gives us permission to keep going with this year after year – say it takes us eight seasons to finish it all – then someone could take the DVDs for all eight seasons, some masochistic viewer, and just watch 80 straight hours and it would tell George’s saga. As opposed to us being too worried about Season 2 just mimicking book two. At a certain point it just wouldn’t make sense either since book four would mean that the fourth season wouldn’t have any of the major characters since he split them in half. And so we could lose three or four of our main people. And so there are things that get bumped ahead from the third book into the second season, and likewise there are second book things that will be pushed into Season 3. Characters and storylines and whatnot.

ShortList’s set report with quotes from Liam Cunningham and Alfie Allen

Cunningham gives us his theory about the show’s success. “The violence is extreme, the sex is extreme, but so is the drama,” he says. “We’re saying, take the phone of the hook, put the baby to bed and we’ll give you an hour of challenging, entertaining stuff.”

Westeros.org sits down with Michelle Fairley

Is it challenging or fun to play such a strong character?

“I think all the women are strong in Game of Thrones, actually. And they are strong, they have to be, in the time and place where they live. Catelyn’s a very honorable person. Strengths are always good to play, they’re good, basic building blocks. But I think weaknesses are the most telling things, as well. It’s the fact that she can’t control her hatred for Jon Snow—that’s a weakness—and most things she can control, she can put a veneer on most things, but on that point, she can’t.

“He represents a weakness in someone that she loves. In her mind, she would never have done that. So for her to have such high morals, and to be married to somebody who has completely crushed her world while still loving him—that’s a very hard thing.”

Geek Chocolate interviews Rory McCann

GC – Despite being in an environment rife with treachery, the Hound is one of the characters who stands up to do the right thing, specifically I’m thinking of the jousting scene in the first season when he stands up to his brother. Can we expect more of that?

RM – You certainly can. It’s going to be double trouble with the Hound standing no nonsense, no bullying, in the thick of it. There’s going to be battles this time. There’s been a real call for proper battles and he’s going to be drenched in blood for most of the time, so it’s a very exciting time for the Hound’s story.

Oh, and of course, don’t miss our interview with Emilia Clarke!

UPDATE: I should add that David J. Peterson, the creator of the Dothraki language, is conducting a question & answer session on Reddit. You can submit questions now and he will be back later today to answer some of the best ones.

1. King Joffrey
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Oh Carice. You’re more “babe” than HBO can handle.

2. TheKingWhoKnelt
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

The cast show so much love for the show and their characters its immense :)

Partuculaly looking forward to alfie Allen as theon this season! What is dead may never die !

3. eitatetaata
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Kit’s part about the hair rocks :D

4. Hi-Fi
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

LOL it kinda looks like the Michelle Fairley interview was all a trick to ask her about the Blackfish and Edmure.

Joking aside, Michelle should get more recognition for her role as Catelyn. I feel like people don’t talk enough about her, and that they should. She was perfect in Season 1. And seems to be a really nice lady all around.

5. Stannis4life
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I like Benioff’s explanation of the series as a whole. Makes alot of sense. If Game of Thrones goes all the way through 8 seasons (god willing) this would be the best way to do it. Book 4 (AFFC) would seem so strange on screen if many of the most beloved characters were just completely ousted. That aside, Jayme, Brienne, Arya and Asha had great stories in AFFC :)

6. Kroket
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Access: Where do you think her power comes from? Does it have to do with a necklace she wears? Was she born with it?

Carice: She definitely has certain powers. I don’t how old she is, but she’s way over a 100 years, so she is a wiser spirit, in a way, but it’s difficult for me to say too much because A — we want it to at least stay sort of a mystery and B — I didn’t read the books (laughs).

Haha Carice! Where did you get that info from?? I am Dutch so it’s odd to day hers is the part i am most worried about after the trailer. I should be confident though since i know she is a great actress but somehow i feel a lack of ‘immersion / feeling’ with the world. Also i am afraid they might just have cast her cause she is so good but she might in fact be not that good for this particular part. Hope i am wrong and i kind off think i am cause she is like i said a great actress.

7. userj
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Kroket: Carice: She definitely has certain powers. I don’t how old she is, but she’s way over a 100 years, so she is a wiser spirit

I read this and wondered if George told D&D something, and they passed this information onto her – there were some hints in a dance with dragons that she might be older than she looks, the use of glamors and so on.

8. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Huh. I guess Carice is aware of the criticism towards her portrayal.

9. draciaveil
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

According to Benioff’s interview, the little bird will indeed be singing a song!!!

10. spacechampion
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Huh. I guess Carice is aware of the criticism towards her portrayal.

WTH? We haven’t seen her portrayal yet. If there are any criticisms, they’re from people using their imaginations instead of good sense.

11. Knurk
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

spacechampion,

if you follow her twitter you’ll notice she often retweets trollish things about her or responds to them personally. No idea why she does that, but obviously she has read a lot of horrible things about herself haha.

12. Arthur
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Hmmm, interesting stuff…

I think David thinking this saga can be completed in 8 seasons is wrong. Unless, towards the end, they rush through.

My logic is book 1 and 2 is a season each. Book 3 would have to be 2 seasons because it is so huge. So that’s 4 seasons right there…

Book 4 and 5 is really one book that they would have to figure out a continuous timeline for. Book 4 and 5 are both huge books so that is easily another 3 seasons, probably more like 4 is they want to do it right.

That would bring us, IMO to 8 seasons just to cover all the material out there right now…

Martin said, I think, he visions this on being a 7 book series. If these last two books are like the 3rd book (I hope they are I didn’t like the characters being split up, then having to go back in time to see what Dany and Bran and the other characters were doing in the meantime. Hope they keep a linear timeline that includes all characters). So if the last 2 books are as thick as the 3rd. That’s another 4 seasons!

So I’d say the complete saga would take 10-12 seasons… Again, just my opinion…..

13. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

You’re nuts if you think they can squeeze 4 seasons out of AFFC/ADWD. More likely a little bit of AFFC will be covered in the 4th season (along with the last third of ASOS), then the remainder of AFFC and ADWD will spread over 2 seasons. So that leaves one season for each of the last two books. If they are big books, I could see them being done as 1.5 seasons for each at most. Maybe it goes nine, rather than eight, but eight is not a ridiculous number to assume at this point.

14. userj
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Hey all!!! For all the Jorah fans out there, someone on tumblr found an interview with Iain Glen where he finally discusses his character!

15. Lars
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Book 4 and 5 certainly don’t need 2 seasons each! There’s lots of trimming that can be done. 2 seasons together would be perfect.

I think the plan to do 8 seasons of 10 episodes is perfectly valid.

16. Udi
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

Agree very much with that sentiment. Michelle is a wonderful actress and comes across as an extremely intelligent (and nice) person. Her Portrayal of Catelyn is perfect in my opinion.

17. Silverius
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

The interview with Alfie Allen cracked me up. He is worried about Theon dying. Must not have read ADWD, as Theon at least would be better of that way.

18. Arthur
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Lars,

I disagree. Book 4 and 5 is really one timeline broke in half to tell half the characters story in one book and the other half in another.

That is what bothers me. They are setting themselves a season limite. They should not do that. They told Martin as long as he keeps writing them then they will keep making them.

Why set limits? Let the writers write freely to show all the relevant plots and things going on without worrying about fitting the entire saga to an 8 year season limite. If they keep producing grade A material then HBO won’t get sick of it and nor would the viewers. It could go down in TV history as the most epic TV series ever!

Maybe I am being unrealistic to such a huge commitment but one can only dream…

19. Knurk
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

could you please write me the storyarcs for four seasons of Jon, Tyrion and Dany? I’m really interested.

20. Virtus
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Right, so how old would Bran’s actor be by the last season? 25? And Rickon’s actor would be like 20?

21. Lars
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Arthur,
    The thickness of a book is not the important metric.

ASOS is important, though. There are so many crucial plot developments for each characters. So many payoffs and massive moments.

AFFC and ADWD are a bit different. They are mostly setup for future books. Both have large sections that can be shortened significantly. (Dorne/Iron islands in AFFC, Tyrions journey can be shortened in ADWD – just some examples)

Even GRRM’s biggest fans would admit that as the series has continued, the bloat factor has slowly increased.

Many even argue that AFFC/ADWD should be combined into *one* season, but that is going too far IMO. Two seasons would be perfect.

Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Edited the post:

23. userj
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Arthur: Giving the fact they already basically said book 3 will take 2 seasons, and books 4 and 5 being just as thick and full of plot as book 3, it would be an accurate calculation to say books 4 and 5 can easily take 3-4 seasons. Unless they decide to rush through it to fit into their 8 season restriction.

Well, first off I don’t agree at all that books 4 and 5 are even close to as “full of plot” as book three. Both together are about the same as book 3, IMO. Hence, ehy should be able to do books 4 and 5 in two seasons, just like S3.

Here’s another problem. If there are FOUR seasons for adwd and affc, where are the season arcs? For at least the first two seasons, there will be literally no important climaxes. What story will be told? What’s the exciting season ender? I’m a little worried about this problem even if there are two seasons for affc and adwd, since they are very back heavy in terms of the content (even more so than aSoS, where you have two big mid-book climaxes: (RW and Dracarys).

My opinion is that they should chop out as much as needed to get them into two seasons. Expect a minimization of Greyjoys and Martells, IMO.

24. Hi-Fi
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Udi,

Good to know I’m not alone!

Re: books and seasons.

I’m thinking:

Season 1: Book 1
    Season 2: Book 2
    Season 3: Book 3
    Season 4: Book 3 + beginnings of Books 4+5
    Season 5: Books 4+5
    Season 6: Book 6
    Season 7: Book 6 + first half Book 7
    Season 8: resto of Book 7

Books 4+5 have a LOT of filler stuff that can be cut. I’m thinking they’re considering the possibility of Books 6 and 7 to be as big as Book 3, so planning two seasons to adapt them sounds about right.

25. userj
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Hey here’s a transcript of the Iain Glen interview.

Would you describe Ser Jorah and Daenerys’ bond as a very pure relationship?

IG: He initially sees her and instinctively thinks that she will be a good leader of people. He then falls in love with this younger woman that he would do anything for—he’d sacrifice himself to protect her. In a series where there’s so much bad going down, it’s a bit of an oasis and a relief to see the simplicity of that relationship, even though things are a little bit suspect to begin with. He gets involved with Daenerys because he has his own agenda as he’s trying to recover from being exiled himself. But that gets lost very quickly—he has many opportunities to win his own freedom and abandon her but he never chooses that and he never will. Does he ever get to kiss her? I’m not telling!

Jorah’s father, Jeor Mormont, is part of the Night’s Watch. Do you think that they will ever meet up?

IG: Maybe! Paradoxically, one of the ultimate desires that Daenerys and Jorah share is to return to their homeland, Westeros, but I don’t want them to get there too quickly, because we get to film in all these beautiful places under the sun while the rest of the series is always cold and wet.

Ha, I like how he says “…he has many opportunities to … abandon her but he never chooses that and he never will” HA! Amazingly spot-on, considering adwd.

As for the second comment looks like he hasn’t read the books… JEOR NOO… :(

26. Arthur
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I see all your points.

Maybe it’s a little wishful thinking on my behalf. I still hold firm to my opinion that they shouldn’t limite themselfs to 8 seasons.

If there is enough material for more seasons they should do more, not cramp everything into a final 1 or 2 seasons to fit their 8 season prediction…

27. Virtus
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Virtus,

To further elaborate: Bran only has three chapters in the time frame of AFFC/ADWD, during which time he travels from the Wall to the cave of the CotF and meets the TEC. If the two books are four seasons, he ages 4 years on that journey!

28. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Carice-
    Please pay no attention to idiotic comments about what you look like as they are probably coming from some hairy, beer-belly, ass bag that can’t even get a hard on.

29. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Of course, we’ll never know until rest of the books are out, but at the way we’re going right now, I think we can finish GoT in 8 – 9 seasons. Just because George forgot how to pace (love the man, but more happened in AGoT than the Split Books combined) doesn’t mean D&D did.

30. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

That’s about what I was thinking too. But I hope a little of book 6 is moved up so we end series 5 with at least one of the two battles- maybe even both- that were being built up to at the end of ADWD

31. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

At any rate, D&D know how the books ultimately end. If we have to clip of the last bit of GRRM’s work for the sake of a good show, I’m all for it, really.

32. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Carice is so charismatic. and I hadn’t seen the AcessHollywood interview with Kit yet, so it was a double-tip. thanks, WiC.
    Kit’s one is cool too. that’s commitment haha.
    Liam and Alfie are great as always, and so is Michelle, but there’s a major spoiler down and the Shortlist interview /o/
    Rory seems delightful, either. and him saying that he’s a “big scaredy cat” was hilarious!
    cool “tease” with Iain, too! thanks, userj!

33. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Hmm. I think this means well for those of us who want our meal of Water Weeds and Trout.

34. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

we were pretty much more or less able to adapt the novel Game of Thrones.

Except for coping out with not allowing Tyrion to battle at the Green Fork but I forgive you.

35. negar
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

okay , there’s this year , 2 years for the third book and then 2 years for the forth and fifth book.they have to air season 7 in 2017.and then season 8 ( the end ) in 2018.they have to film the last season in 2017 so GRRM has 5 years for 2 books?can he finish it?is there any interview in which he says how long he needs ?and if he can finish it in time?

36. userj
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Thiago Slash: cool “tease” with Iain, too! thanks, userj!

YW! I was excited because Iain’s (I think??) the last of the first billed cast who’s never really talked about his role despite by all accounts being awesome (I was listening to D&D’s commentary of the last episode and they are serious Jorah fanboys, btw… one of them joked he’s interesting enough to have his own spinoff series :p).

37. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming:
    Edited the post:

Do we know if David is going to be creating Valyrian and Ghiscari languages ?

38. Queensmoot
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I’m excited for the David Peterson Q&A. I wonder if they’ll get him to do the other languages that come up.

For ASOS they don’t really have to have Valyrian or Ghiscari, but it would maintain the humor of Dany hearing everything that one prick says while Missandei censors.

In AFFC/ ADWD they really need Braavossi for Arya’s storyline. Just like Dany in AGOT, the language barrier is part of what isolates her. Though really I just want to hear her call someone a camel cunt for laughing at her accent.

I just like languages though, so I’m probably a bit over-excited…

39. Lars
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Regarding languages… I don’t recall, what is the spoken tongue of Qarth in the books?

They probably need to create at least one more language for the slavers bay region.

As for valyrian – An easy way out might be just to say that it is the same language as the common Westerosi tongue. (introduced by the Targaryen conquest) That ret-con might work.

40. Macha
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

userj,

Thank you for that Iain Glen interview, it was a nice read, especially since we don’t get to hear from him very often. That final bit about Dany and Jorah getting too quickly to Westeros made me smile. So did Alfie Allen’s remark about pushing the gore as far as they can. Well, no worries there, boys. :)

41. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Pink Dragon,

The storh has in my eyes been much more about the characters than the actual events so no, I certainly do not agree that more happened in AGOT than in AFFC and ADWD combined. If the story was told in a LOTR-way I’d agree more.

42. Bgap
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

negar,

The only way he’ll finish the series before the show is to return to the pace of writing he had with the first three books, which were released in ’96, ’99 and 2000. It’s possible but not probable. My guess is season 7 and book 6 will come out at the same time, in 2016, then book 7 will essentially be an expanded novelization of season 8, released four years after the show is done, perhaps timed with a re-release of a box set of the whole show in 3d, or some other appealing gimmick for the audiences of 2022.

43. Critical Geek
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Books 4 and 5 ARE full of plot, just not the plot fans want after waiting as long as they have. There’s just no way to cut them down, especially not the iron islands stuff, those characters are key! The Dorne stuff, rather than get cut, needs to get expanded and started earlier so that the audience can connect with them. I liken the Iron Islands plot to the waterfront plot of season 2 THE WIRE, and the Dorne plot to the school plot of season 4. Were those plots central to the show? No. But they were central to their seasons and the show would have been far less without them. One of the main problems that the books have IS that he can’t go back and insert chapters into already published stuff, changing the order to allow for proper emotional attachment to the characters we’re kind of confused by in books 4 and 5. This is something that the show runners CAN do, and I expect will do.

44. Bgap
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Correction…make that 2017 for season 7 and book 6.

45. Domenico Barbato
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Maybe you’ve already heard this, but the wikipedia page for the series states that

According to the Belfast Telegraph, in March 2012, HBO ordered the production of a third and fourth season, which are to cover the third novel in the series, A Storm of Swords, and which are to be filmed concurrently in Northern Ireland from June 2012 to about February 2013.

citing as a source the Belfast Telegraph of 19 March. Can anyone corroborate/disprove this?

46. Lauren
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Great to hear from the Hound, but what about Gregor? Seems like I remember reading that Conan Stevens wasn’t returning this season. What’s the status there, and who will be playing the Mountain that Rides if not Stevens?

47. Pepi
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Lauren,

Who will play Gregor this season? This lad. Goes by the name Ian Whyte.

48. Magnus
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Lauren,

You could for instance check features->cast at the top of this page.

The new actor for Gregor is Ian Whyte, who played the White Walker in ep. 1.

49. Knurk
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Critical Geek,

there is definitely plot if you look carefully, but they’re not full of it like the first 3 books were. This is what GRRM himself said about it :

As for “too much description,” well, opinions differ. We write the books we want to read. And I want to read books that are richly textured and full of sensory detail, books that make me feel as if I am experiencing a story, not just reading it. Plot is only one aspect of telling a tale, and not the most important one. It is the journey that matters, not how fast you arrrive at the destination.

That’s my view, anyway. Others writers differ, of course. There are hundreds of books where everything is subordinate to advancing the plot, some of them quite fine, but my work has never been about that, and never will be.

50. the goat
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

AFFC is almost exactly the same size as CoK, although ADWD is nearly as long as SoS. Still, we will most likely get some Feast/Dance scenes in S4 so two seasons for the rest of those books should be fine.

51. Conor
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Nice little article with a few hints towards the S2 premiere.

The last point though has me racking my brain…who is incestuous on the wall?

52. Lars
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Conor:
    Nice little article with a few hints towards the S2 premiere.

The last point though has me racking my brain…who is incestuous on the wall?

Craster’s keep, I assume.

53. The Neep Knight
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Conor,

It’s Craster. Night’s Watch, not the Wall.

54. Conor
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

The Neep Knight,

Oh yeah. I need sleep obviously lol

From that article btw, it sounds like Joffrey orders Robert’s Bastards killed.
    Which I don’t like at all if it’s true

55. spacechampion
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

The story of A Song of Ice and Fire really follows a traditional 3-Act structure.
    Act 1 – Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords. (Lannisters triumphant, but Tyrion kills Tywin; Dany the conquerer settles down to rule; Starks scattered and at their apparent worst; Jon has the Wall)
    Act 2 – Feast of Crows, A Dance With Dragons. (Lannister rule unravels; Ironborn internal struggle; the Iron Fleet goes East; the Dornish response, and apparent failure of all their plans; Aegon the mummer’s dragon / Varys’ plot; the Northern houses plot and war, Stannis in the north, treason of the Watch, and Jon seems to die.)
    Act 3 – Winds of Winter, A Dream of Spring

If you haven’t noticed that a lot happened in Act Two, i pity you. It’s not surprising though. A lot of people assumed/were wishing the Starks would win in Act 1. To hear over and over again what some fans think this story is all about a big epic battle of dragons against zombies… To call AFFC and ADWD filler…. It’s pretty absurd.

56. little_bird
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Access: In the Season 2 photos – you look amazing — and — bewitching.

Carice: Definitely she has those qualities, but it’s not like I look like, it’s not even in my personal life – I’m not Lara Croft kind of girl.

Perhaps some imagine Melisandre, a femme fatale, and lady in red in some exaggerated comic book style but it isn’t necessary to hyper sexualize her femininity. She isn’t a ‘jiggle show’, nor an uncertain giggly young girl in the first bloom of youth, but a grave fiery lady fully in control and aware of her magnetism, and the potency of her charms.

No doubt it’s the nature of the beast, a professional actor keenly aware of a character and the elements of portrayal, anxious about truly consummating a role. Like for some Robert and Renly weren’t brawny, beefy or tall, and Jorah too handsome and not hirsute enough. Perhaps it’s jitters.

Judging from the trailers Miss Van Houten portrays Melisandres allure and mystery in spades with skill and aplomb. Some others would offer little more than exaggerated hips & busts. The fraction of audience that would fixate on such things is best left to their own device. Hopefully shortly we will look back on this season and laugh, like at the anxieties before the first season about the cast, and Miss Van Houten can relax a bit and bask in the limelight.

57. Lars
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

spacechampion: lly follows a traditional 3-Act structure.
    Act 3 – Winds of Winter, A Dream of Sprin

Hold your horses. ASOIAF does NOT follow a traditional three-act structure. It is a whole lot more complicated than that.

The *closest* thing we have to a traditional three-act structure is the first books. One could make the argument that AGOT, ACOK, ASOS each represents an act. The most self-contained book is probably AGOT. But ACOK is just build-up to all what happens in ASOS. And given the 5-year gap GRRM was toying with, ASOS really is the mid-series finale.

AFFC and ADWD is really the 2nd part of the saga, where they function like ACOK – buildup for the forthcoming finale of the sage.

The point many are making is that AFFC/ADWD, being the 2nd half of the story, really starts up several new plot lines, and adds several protagonists from House Martell and Greyjoy. BUT – like any story, they can be trimmed.

And that is what happens already. Things were trimmed from the 1st season. It will happen even more for the 2nd season. And so on. There is a limit to how many characters a TV series can juggle. As more and more get added, they are at a greater risk of being omitted in the adaptation for the show. That’s just realism. And with the widest cast of characters and plots, AFFC/ADWD *will* have the most things cut out or condensed.

I agree with you, however, that there are a lot of good stuff in AFFC/ADWD. But I am doubtful that we will see more than two combined seasons for the material.

58. Tropxe
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

little_bird,

I agree, but this actress is more elegant and glamorous than beautiful and sexy. I think that’s what she herself was getting at. No one’s talking about a red-haired Barbie doll playing Melisandre, but this is rather like if Charles Dance played Jaime Lannister. He’s a handsome man, he could wear a wig as this actress does, he has the Lannister look evidently since he played Tywin. But he seems too old, and if someone found him attractive it would be for his class and his dignity, not the more carnal, heart-thumping attractiveness that is implied of Melisandre (and Jaime). All said, I really don’t care. It was the same with Catelyn, who frankly looked more like those children’s grandmother than mother, and is more elegant than beautiful, but she’s such a good actress and had such great chemistry with Sean Bean, I couldn’t care less.

59. Dreamlife
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

My favorites were the Rory McCann and Kit Harrington interviews, because both made me laugh. Rory, because for such a big, intimidating-looking man, I find it amusing (and cute) that he can’t bring himself to watch horror films. Kit, because of his line about getting called a bastard on the streets due to Game of Thrones. Heh.

60. Kanga
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink
  61. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Kanga,

An oldie but a goodie!

62. Maxwell James
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Tropxe:

Charles Dance is 65.
    Carice van Houten is 35.

Oh, and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau is 41.

Incidentally: Carice van Houten is smoking hot, and I pity anyone who thinks otherwise.

63. Dreamlife
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Hulu Best in Show: Round 3!!!

Game of Thrones needs our help. It’s up against Sons of Anarchy. Vote now and vote often:

64. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Dis you guys read the interview with Weiss?? He already said the plan is to do the first 5 books in 6 seasons for a total of about 8 seasons. But then theres sindication.

To be ellegible for sindication, 88 episodes are needed (although The Sopranos made it with 86, and Battlestart Galactica with 75. Thats why they had to add the 2 movies, webseries etc). I’m 100% sure they will reach that number, becasue theres a lot of money in that.Each season that goes over that though, is a huge loss, because by then the costs of the show (sallaries specially) will be inmense.

So rest assured guys, the series will be 9 Seasons of 10 episodes, or 8 seasons of 10-12 episodes..whatever is needed to reach 86-88 episodes.

PS: My personal bet is that there will be 9 seasons. I’m pretty sure that, if Martin fisnishes writing them, there will be 8 books. If I’m wrong and there are 7, the last 2 will be pretty big, so they will make 3 seasons out of them anyway. But there will be 86 episodes :P

65. Tropxe
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

So then I guess you pity her too since even she doesn’t think she’s “smoking hot”? She’s 36 whereas Melisandre could/should look about 25, since she seems to be thought of as a young woman, not a middle-aged one (which 36 is, and even more so in this setting.)

I think she looks lovely, but not in a sexual or youthful way, in a more mature and elegant way – that’s what she was alluding to and that’s why she thinks some fans may not be happy with her (at least till they see her performance, which I’m sure will be great).

66. Mark
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Tropxe:
    Maxwell James,

Sorry dude, but 36 is not “middle-aged.” Middle-aged is 40s-50s. And “this setting” doesn’t matter because the characters have all been aged up in the show for obvious reasons. When you read the books, do you really imagine Dany as a 13-year old?

67. Lars
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Sometimes I wonder about the age of some people who are the most vocal about appearance of actors – because some their complaints do suggest a lack of maturity.

Also – You may feel safe in your anonymity, but these are real people you are writing about, many of them either read these sites or have family that do.

68. Obsidian
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Not to mention that 36 in this day and age is not really comparable to 36 in a medieval society. Look at the way characters who are mid – late 40’s are described as being old , or well past their prime in ASoIaF.

Let’s not be silly.

69. Matt Chung
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Virtus,

They can push Bran’s storyline up or down depending on how it suits. They could have his Book 6 stuff moved forward into Season 4/5, especially since he’s so isolated the timeline for him doesn’t really matter as much. They could keep him holed up at TEC’s place for a year or so as well so that he can age a bit. The show is a lot more flexible than people seem to think.

70. Knurk
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Matt Chung,

yes, they can shove stuff around but in the end you can only do so much with Bran (and of course the question remains if there’ll be a book 6 by then). I’m afraid we won’t see a lot of Bran in the later seasons, or the showrunners are coming up with new ideas to expand his storyline. Even season 3 and 4 will be a stretch, he’s on a trip to the Wall for 20 episodes whereas Jon did this in 1 or 2 episodes in season 1.

71. Virtus
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Tropxe,

Melisandre is supposed to be timeless (perhaps literally.)

72. Virtus
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Tropxe,

Peter Dinklage is 42. In AGOT Tyrion is about 23. Do you see a problem there as well?

73. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Off topic,( though not really)I just wanted to comment on your flashing Avatar. I think many of us appreciate your posts on this forum and though we may disagree I myself have always respected your opinion, especially on ADWD. That said, don’t you find that avatar I dunno, kind of Trollish?

Not trying to instigate anything at all, but that kind of dedication to broadcasting that message seems to indicate that your done with the series as a whole. I am correct to assume that?

74. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Dreamlife:
    Hulu Best in Show: Round 3!!!

Game of Thrones needs our help.It’s up against Sons of Anarchy.Vote now and vote often:

earlier today GoT was beating SOA 54% to 46%. Kurt Sutter rallied his troops though and now SOA is beating GoT 60% to 40%.

You guys better start voting!

75. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:04 am | Permalink

MetalgoddessAMB,

What!?! GoTs is losing! This can not be! Call the banners! We are off to war…

The Sons of Anarchy shall be crushed. Their little rebellion will not overcome the king of the north… Greywind, attack!!!

76. Knurk
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I acknowledge it can be considered trollish, but it’s more of a way expressing that I’m done with GRRM and his bookseries and that I’m solely a fan of the tv-show. And of course it’s a salute to the ONTD-fandom, where I believe this avatar originated from.

77. AryaSnow
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:23 am | Permalink
  78. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Knurk,

I guess it’s too early to tell if you will read the Winds of Winter or not….providing of course if it is ever published? ;-)

what is ONTD by the by?

79. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Hey I have a valid question for once…

Will there be any new music in season 2?

Like will Stannis have his own theme? Will the Greyjoys have their own theme as well? You know like background stuff???

Does anyone know?

80. Jambo
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:55 am | Permalink

And Breaking Bad is tied with Walking Dead? What is this trickery?

At least Community is soundly in the lead….my faith in humanity is not completely gone yet :)

81. Rukie44
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 1:04 am | Permalink

At a midnight showing of The Hunger Games, and I just saw a condensed version of the Seven Devils trailer. SO nice seeing GoT on the big screen!

82. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Jambo,

It’s Chang and it cannot die.

Rukie44,

Just going to see that in about an hour. I fully expect some highly confused parents if they’re playing GoT trailers before a movie that will sadly and inevitably have a couple of six year olds in the theater. Yeah, there will always be those people who think it’s appropriate to bring their toddler or young schoolkid to a movie whose sole premise is about kids murdering other kids.

But anyway, that should shock ‘em a little. ;)

83. DavosFTW!
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 1:46 am | Permalink

AryaSnow,

wow that’s actually a great little review. I wonder if the Bantheons can take the throne back :p but yeah that is some nice reading from someone who obviously hasn’t read the books and isn’t a fan of the genre.

84. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:20 am | Permalink

I don’t get this… why has no one ever interviewed the actor who plays Varys!?! I personally think that Hill was one of the best actors in the first season, however, oddly, I have never seen a single interview with him regarding game of thrones… Hill plays Varys so perfectly.. he both looks and sounds exactly like how I imagined Varys in the books.. I think he should’ve got the Emmy..

85. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:51 am | Permalink

game of thrones is lagging behind

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:23 am | Permalink

AryaSnow:
    Nancy Dewolf Smith now seems to like the show :-D

Bahahahahahah, too funny!

87. little_bird
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

Tropxe,

[Miss Van Houten] is more elegant and glamorous than beautiful and sexy

You faux pas‘d onto a landmine. Charitably interpreted, a compliment, uncharitably a backhanded insult.

No one’s talking about a red-haired Barbie doll playing Melisandre

Your confidence is admirable. They were talking about some peoples expectations, and living up to them. Recall some of the casting suggestions, like Christina Hendricks and Monica Belluci, among too many pretty accomplished actresses to honorably mention. Like Barbie or Jessica Rabbit might appear suited to be Lara Croft.

I am inclined to the opinion your analogy does not hold, fascinating if controversially jeunist, and remain doubtful

that’s what she herself was getting at

de gustibus aut bene, aut nihil

88. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 6:06 am | Permalink

I also didn’t like ADWD one bit, (or AFFC for that matter, wich I reread just before ADWD release), and I also think the series can end up in disaster unless Martin starts to “regroup” (or gets a better editor).
    But of course I will read WOW (not only that, I will reread AFFC and ADWD again)…and so will Knurk (along with 99% of the people that read ADWD, even if they didn’t like it) ’cause at this point in time we are too invested in the series (and even more now with the TV show)

I read A LOT of fantasy, and even if it’s hard for me to abandon a series, I do when I see things are not going anywhere (Wheel of Time), when I can’t connect with the characters (the Malazan series), or when they are just plain bad (Terry Goodkind). Now I’m about to abandon The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Rothfuss (A Wise Man’s Fear made me cringe more and more ’till I had to stop reading it, and is sitting in my bedside table. Worst case of second-hand embarrassment I ever felt reading something. Seems a book written by some of the less-mature guys in this forum, for the love of god!)

But that will never happen with Martin. Even if you disagree with him, his work is at another level. And he deserves, after all that he has given us (including the tv show) a vote of confidence..

89. AikenDrum
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Funny how tastes differ :)

I thought the Wheel of Time was bad from the very first book, but absolutely loved the Malazan series (up until perhaps the last two books, which I still quite liked but not as much as the rest) and feel like the Kingkiller Chronicle is some of the best storytelling I’ve ever seen (completely devoured both books and can’t wait for the next one).

With ASOIAF, I was a bit disappointed with AFFC, but enjoyed ADWD a lot more again.

I’m not really familiar with Terry Goodkind’s work.

90. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 6:48 am | Permalink

hey staff.. i’m bored.. plz add a new post!

91. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:18 am | Permalink

AikenDrum:
    Pau Soriano,

Funny how tastes differ :)

I’m not really familiar with Terry Goodkind’s work.

Haha well Aiken I can tell you you SHOULD NOT go near any of Goodkind stuff :P

Wheel of Time is for me the best example of what Martin refers as a bad copycat of Tolkien work (Good vs Evil, bad guys dressed in black blablabla).

Malazan I didn’t say is bad, not at all…I just could not relate to any of the characters. But I’m willing to concede that is my fault, ’cause english is not my mother language and I find the style it is written a bit confusing at times (a bit like Glen Cook work. If u like Malazan I think u’ll love that)

But Rothfuss work…let me respectfully disagree. I really liked the first book until maybe the last part. I reread it just before the second, and I felt the same. It is compelling storytelling, yes, but near the end Kvothe acts like a 10 year old, not a 16 year old. But well, I was willing to overlook that. The second book though…is like if the author (who is 40, not 20) found a way to fullfill his pre-pubescent fantasies through his alter-ego (wich I read he considers Kvothe to be). I read a synopsis by someone that defines book 2 perfectly, in a funny way . “A Wise Man’s Fear: Kvothe learns to fuck, and then he learns to fight. End”. But not only that, the ones teaching them are the best at fucking and fighting , in an almost laughable way…a fairy the contact with whom noone has survived before? an order of quai-like shaoling monks that never share his secrets with anyone?? Please ;) Now compare that with what the characters in Martins series have to endure. In comparison, Rothfuss work seems more than childish. And is a shame becasue he really has a way with words, he is an awesome world-builder, the “magic” system is nice, I love the myths he constructs…but it makes me squirm to be a vouyer of this Kvothanism (Kvothe+Onanism) ;)

92. Dreamlife
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:34 am | Permalink

One thing that I’m hoping from the TV series is that we get an appropriate ending. Whether that means 6, 7, or 8 seasons*, I want resolution for the core cast of characters. I’m worried that I may never get that if I just wait for the books, so I’m hoping the TV series can provide the answers.

If/when the series catches up with the books, I’m curious how many will keep watching versus trying to wait for the books. Obviously seeing the events play out on screen will color the way we imagine things in the books. I think I will definitely keep watching the TV series, because I already sort of see it as its own thing. It will be fun to get to the point where non-readers and readers alike don’t know what’s going to happen next.

*FYI, I am perfectly A-OK with the TV series skipping over large chunks of AFFC and ADWD or at least condensing it for the sake of keeping all the characters in a season and moving the story right along.

PS: Game of Thrones is losing on Hulu. Now it’s 60% Sons of Anarchy to 40% Game of Thrones. Yikes! Come on, guys, show the series some love! http://www.hulu.com/bestinshow/2/4

93. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:36 am | Permalink

By the way, Aiken, may I be so bold as to ask you what other series do you enjoy? I’m always in the hunt for good fantasy and it seems you are a knowledgeable guy (and our tastes seems to be quite alike)

If you want, I can tell you some of my favourites in exchange :)

Edit: That goes for everybody else here in the forum!

94. Russian FAN
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Maybe they can rejuvenate Sean Bean’s face like Jeff Bridges in “Tron Legacy” for flashbacks!

95. AikenDrum
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Hehe now that you’ve elaborated a bit I can see what you mean about the Wise Man’s Fear :) I guess for me it didn’t bother me that much, because I read it in between two very dark and gritty and nasty series (Malazan series and R. Scott Bakker’s Prince of Nothing series), which made it a great breath of fresh air, because it was such fairy tale-like and lighthearted storytelling. I really read it as a kind of fairy tale and could really enjoy it within that frame of mind.

I totally agree with your assessment of the Wheel of Time by the way. And thanks for the tip, I think I’ll saty away from Goodkind :)

A few other things I’ve really enjoyed:

– Zelazny’s Amber series (mainly the first series, but the second was also enjoyable. Though I have to admit that I was still in school when I read it and I don’t know how I would like it now that I’m 15 years older.

-Glen Cook’s Black Company series, but you already mentioned that one :) I also read his entire Garrett series, which I also really enjoyed, but more in a light hearted way

-Stephen Donaldson’s Thomas Covenant series

-R. Scott Bakker’s series that I mentioned above

And a few non-fantasy ones:

-Stephen Donaldson’s ‘The Gap’ series (I don’t read a lot of SF, but I really loved this one)
    -Stephen King’s Dark Tower series (I guess that is fantasy really..)
    -Bernard Cornwell’s series about king Arthur

Any tips from your end..?

96. Knurk
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Knurk,

if it ever comes out, I’ll read it for sure (though I’ll make sure I won’t pay for it this time). I hope it’ll be good, but have not faith it will be. ONTD is Oh No They Didn’t, a livejournal.

97. Dennai
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

I’d love to help you, but I’m afraid my suggestions wouldn’t be any useful. Your tastes and mine seems to diverge widely.

I mean, I understand if some people have problems with AFFC/ADWD because its pace and/or the perceived uneventful plotline in some characters’arc, but “didn’t like one bit” is going to the extreme. Theon’s chapters by themselves beat pretty much 80% of the novels you can find in the genre. And the moment of awesome baddasery of Danny have to be in the top 5 OMG moments in the ASOIF series.

And you don’t like Malazan and you don’t like Kingkiller. I seriously doubt I can suggest you anything that takes your fancy, but no harm to trying, so…

I’m sticking to the “gritty fantasy” wave of late-years, not orphaned farm boys facing Dark Lords anywhere on sight:

The first law trilogy and the standalones in the same world and timeline “Best served cold” and “The Heroes”, by Joe Abercombrie. Somewhat similar to Martin’s style but bathed with much dark humour and not a noble Stark to be found. You try to stick your sympathies to the less rotten of the characters.

The Bastard Gentlemen, currently with two novels published, “The lies of Locke Lamora” and “Red seas under red skies”, by Scott Lynch. Follow the adventures and misadventures of a group of conmen in a fantasy world reminiscent of the Renaissance. Not High Epic yet, because so far they haven’t had to face any Global Evil Threat so far, but the stakes are growing and I got the feeling that they will in a future. Be warned, though immensely entertaining. Lynch seems to have fall in a Martin-esque lull, because the third novel in the series has been delayed for years.

The Witcher Saga, by Andrzej Sapkowski. This series hasn’t be published in english in its entirety yet, but it seems it eventually will. It’s a popular series in Europe. If you speak spanish as your name hints, you can find all the series under the name of “Saga de Geralt de Rivia”. Tells the adventure of a mutant warrior bred for the purpose of slaying monstrous creatures. Drawing its inspirations not only from the Epic Fantasy Tropes, but fairy tales and folklore as well in a definitely bleak world, full of grey characters (and some very black).

98. King Joffrey
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:10 am | Permalink
  99. Mormegil
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:25 am | Permalink

AryaSnow: Nancy Dewolf Smith now seems to like the show :-Dhttp://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304724404577297420237664392.html

That is quite a change from her original Season 1 review. It can be found here for anyone who did not see it.

100. Michaelmann
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:30 am | Permalink

No post about the release of the 22min “you win or you die” video?
    Though there are only a very few new scenes in there..

101. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

How do you think you would have reacted if the story started on book 3? With everything happening to people you didn’t get to know in the first 2 volumes?
    Don’t you think the success/efficiency of book 3 is linked to all the groundwork that has been done in the first 2?
    Don’t you think you should wait to see what comes in book 6 and 7 before judging if anything in AFFC and ADWD was indeed uneventfull and unimportant?
    (for the record i’m still not too hot on ADWD, i guess i didn’t read it enough yet, but the more i read affc the more i love it).

102. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

AikenDrum:
    Pau Soriano,

A few other things I’ve really enjoyed:

-Stephen Donaldson’s Thomas Covenant series

-R. Scott Bakker’s series that I mentioned above

And a few non-fantasy ones:

-Stephen King’s Dark Tower series (I guess that is fantasy really..)
    -Bernard Cornwell’s series about king Arthur

Any tips from your end..?

Damn, I wanted to recommend you R. Scott Bakker’s work but It seems I’m late! :-D

Zelazny I know of course, but I never got into his long series, its quite overwhelming..but I’ll certainly buy the first book of the series you mention.

And is funny that you recommend The Thomas Covenant series. I was in Stockholm this december, on a 2 week trip, and I picked up in a great bookstore both Lord Foul’s Bane and Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson. I read the first 10 pages of both, and I decided to go for Elantris as the “book of the trip”. Seems now that I made the wrong choice, ’cause I didn’t really like Elantris. But the Covenant book is waiting patiently in my to read shelve, and now it advanced some positions. :)

Ok, so series I can recomend that tie to your favourite ones:

– I loved Fritz Lieber‘s Fafhrd and The Greymouser ones when I was a teenager. I think they can relate to Zelazny’s work (in the sense that they were written in the 70’s and we both read them as teens)

Michael Moorcock The Eternal Champion series, and more precisely Elric of Melniboné has always been cited as a clear inspiration for the Malazan series. You could check that. (I have to say that I read both those series in the spanish translation though)

– Similar to Glen Cook could be Joe Abercrombie‘s work. I don’t “love” it, but I quite enjoy the realistic depiction of war, and how everyone is basically an asshole looking out for himself (much like life is, unfortunatelly)

– And definitelly last but by all means not least, my personal favourite Robin Hobb. I really love all of her work. I got hooked by her first one, The Farseer Trilogy, but I have to admit the second one, The Liveship Trader’s , is even better (and then the third one, that follows the events of the first one, better even…). Try to pick up Assassin’s Apprentice, and if you don’t like it (wich ( Ihope) you will if you can forgive some first-book cliches) , try out Ship of Magic. :)

Non fantasy:

– Science fiction wise, I enjoyed the Ender saga by Orson Scott Card (specially book 2), and Asimov‘s Foundation (including the Robot) sagas.

Stephen Lawhead‘s Song of Albion is very nice if you enjoy Celtic themes. He is better known for his Pendragon Cycle, but I haven’t read that (not much into Arthurian themery)

– And of all the Tolkien copycats out there the one I enjoyed more was the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn one by Chad Williams. I think it captures the right spirit of Tolkien.But that was a looong time ago tooso maybe if I read it know I would not think the same. I know I couldn’t finish Williams last trilogy, Shadowmarch, so..

PS: Also I think Andrej Sapkovsky writes as good fantasy as the best that you can find out there. His Geralt of Rivia series is fantastic…maybe even better than Martin’s work. But I also know his work is not translated to english, other than a short collection of stories. And I think the translations is not that good. He writes in polish, and we are quite lucky the polish-spanish translator we have is really, really good. (I have some friends in the translators world). So if you happen to read polish, spanish or some other language his work is being translated too (russian?), by all means, get a copy!

103. Knurk
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

ASOIAF Fan,

huh? So you weren’t too hot on book 1 and 2 then, they were only groundwork for book 3? No, each volume should be a good book by itself, it can be perfectly judged with all the facts we have now (no matter you like it or not). The book should never have been released if it can only be judged by books that could never come or take at least 6 years to write.

104. Knurk
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

And FUCK YES, I just won two tickets to the screening of episode 1 and 2 next thursday. Hieyah!

105. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Knurk,

I started ASOIAF before book 2 was out so yeah i had to read each volume on it’s own at first, and even if book 1 and 2 aren’t only groundwork for book 3, they’re still used in part for all the payoffs coming in SoS. AGOT and CoK are nearly on the same level of enjoyment and plot advancement, but they’re both way behind SoS, it went crescendo from one to 3, so obvisously for preparing other long cons, this level had to drop for other slower tomes to pave the way for the next payoff tome.
    I’m not saying book 1 and 2 are trash without book 3, i’m saying i enjoyed affc as much as the first 2, but obviously less than the third.
    But i’m looking at this as a saga, i like big stories, i don’t care if a book is sub-par by itself if it fits into the grand scheme of things (the whole saga).

106. Ted furthman
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Carice is really hot. FACT. And a good actress. FACT. I can’t wait for season 2.

107. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Dennai:
    Pau Soriano,

Well I think our tastes are much closer than you thought, becasue I just recommended both Sapkovsky and Abercrombie to Aiken!! :-D

I love Sapkovsky. I think he is up there, with the best. His Geralt de Rivia Saga, is amazing at so many levels I just can describe ’cause I’d fail miserably.

I’ve also read all Abercrombie’s books. The first one in spanish, and I thought meh..then I picked up the second one,this time in english, and boy it makes quite a difference. Went from meh.. to yeah! Best Served Called I also enjoyed, as well as the Heroes. I really hope he brings Logen back in the future though I’ll certainly buy the next.

And the book I am reading right know is no other than the Lies of Locke Lamora!! In his spanish version though, wich I think it was a mistake. I didn’t like it that much ’till I reach half the book, when things start to get gritty (and interesting). I still haven’t finished it, but I’ll prolly pick up the next installment, in english this time. (I also read the third book is about to be released, right?)

So yes, if you have any more recomendations, I think I’ll definitelly check them ;)

108. World Dancer
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I do think Clarice was a good choice as far as the look. We’ll have to see how she pulled off the character, but physically she’s just right for the part, and I’m hopeful that she’ll be good in the role.

109. Ted furthman
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

This is a cool review and it points to some exact scenes in the premier. Spoilers though so if you want to be completely surprised don’t read it

110. James Wu
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

The 22 min “You Win or You Die” featurette is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dku_Uya8Ygc

111. AikenDrum
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Thanks for all the book tips :)

I really hope someone gets around to translating Sapkovsky’s books to English soon, since I don’t speak a word of Spanish (I’m Dutch). Sounds like it is something I definitely have to read.

I have also read Abercrombie’s books about mister Ninefingers and his friends and I’ve definitely enjoyed it, but I didn’t bring it up, because for some reason it sits just a bit lower on my awesome-scale than the others that I did mention. Same goes for the Lies of Locke Lamora. I only read the first book of that series. I thought it was fun, but not as great as I had hoped. I had forgotten I read one book from the Ender Saga (written from the perspective of this kid called ‘Bean’). It was a long time ago and I remember I really liked it, so perhaps I should put that series on my list as well. Only read a couple of short stories from Asimov, which I liked because they were all a sort of logical puzzles.

I’ll put Fritz Lieber, Michael Moorcock, Robin Hobb, Stephen Lawhead and Chad Williams on my list of stuff to read in the future :)

112. Cari D. Burstein
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

On the fantasy topic- I too had to give up on Goodkind a few books back- I hate giving up on a series I enjoy, but sometimes it just gets to be too much. I still enjoyed Wise Man’s Fear, but I definitely spent a lot of time cringing while reading it. Couldn’t get into the Malazan first book for some reason and I read the first Jordan book, but I didn’t care enough about the story to keep going.

Some of my favorites if you’re looking for good stuff to try:

– Jennifer Fallon has several good series, but my favorite is the immortals one- her fantasy tends to have a high amount of political elements which should go well with any Martin fan

– Brandon Sanderson does great fantasy, with an interesting implementation of magic and a lot of political elements. I’d start with the Mistborn series

– Glenda Larke’s Stormlord series isn’t very well known but I enjoyed it immensely. It’s a bit of an unusual type of fantasy world, I’m not sure how to describe it

– Jim Butcher’s Fury series was quite enjoyable, it’s a bit heavier on the magic and hero aspects than I usually go for though

– Guy Gavriel Kay doesn’t do series much but his standalone books are generally excellent, beautifully written stories set in somewhat altered historical settings (Sailing to Sarantium would be the first one I’d read)

– If you want some lighter fare, Naomi Novik’s dragon series is a lot of fun to read and Steven Brust is also great fun

I’ll also second the person who recommended Robin Hobb as a good read, although the shaman series I didn’t think was as enjoyable as the ship series.

I could go on forever so I’ll stop here :)

113. Emmit Svenson
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

As long as we’re sharing fantasy novel recommendations, try “The Curse of Chalion” by Lois McMaster Bujold. Bujold has a gift for complex interpersonal drama, and a flair for world building.

114. MetalgoddessAMB
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Emmit Svenson:

Very good book. I really liked it!

115. userj
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Every Martin fan should read Across the Nightingale Floor/Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn. It’s set in a fantasy version of medieval Japan and I found it quite Martin-esque. Unlike Martin, though, the entire original trilogy is complete! :)

TBQH it’s the only fantasy I’ve read that I’ve liked since Martin (though I read a lot of YA fantasy as a kid, Pern, His Dark Materials, The Dark is Rising, etc). Kingkiller is just embarassing and WoT and Sword of Truth… *shudder*

116. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Cari D.Burnstein.

Thanks for the tips! I was the one recomending Robin Hobb and yes, I agree the Shaman series are not as enjoyable…but I think it because the other ones are so good in comparison.

I read Elantris by Brandon Sanderson and did not like it very much, so I’m avoiding the Mistborn series, although many people praises them. I read Naovik‘s first Temeraire book and it was quite alright. I’ll probably end up picking up the second one in the future.

I really liked Guy Gavriel Kay’s The Fionavar Tapestry and Tigana, and I want to pick up Ysabel some time in the future.

I haven’t read anything of Jennifer Fallon, Glenda Larkev or Jim Butcher, but I’m writen their names down ;)

Emmit Svenson

I have read many praises of Lois McMaster Bujold but still haven’t read anything from her…I’lll definitelly give “The Curse of Chalion” a try sometime in the future

Edit: I just remember another classic fantasist thatvI quite enjoy, David Gemmell…I think Abercrombie must have read him quite a lot ;)

117. Dan
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Poor Hodor, he’s going to have a tough job carrying around a 20 year old Bran.

118. Cari D. Burstein
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 12:55 am | Permalink

I also enjoyed Bujold’s work and I’d recommend it.

I think Tigana is my favorite book from Guy Gavriel Kay, it’s the first one I read. But he’s got so many good ones. I actually couldn’t get into the Fionavar Tapestry, they’re the only books by him I’ve read that I didn’t like. Ysabel I liked, but not quite as much as some of the others.

I’ve added Gemmell and Lian Hearn to my list to check out. My favorite authors never write fast enough.

On the topic of Game of Thrones, I really do wonder how they’re going to handle the later seasons as the kids get so much older. Especially Bran.

119. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 9:21 am | Permalink

My contribution to this discussion: though they are considered more science fiction than fantasy I recommend Frank Herbert’s first three Dune books. Also throw in Robert Graves’ I Claudius and you have perfect GRRM inspiration for ASOIAF.

120. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Cari D. Burstein:
    I also enjoyed Bujold’s work and I’d recommend it.

Bah now I don’t know what to do haha! I’ve been posponing buying Ysabel because my ex used to live in Aix-en-Provence, the town were Ysabel is supposed to take place (wich is relatively close to Barcelona, were I live), and it reminded me of her, and if you say now is not one of his bests…I think I’ll try a new author first.

Gemmell is “old-school” gritty fantasy…as I say is kind like the predecessor of Abercrombie

And yes, the age of the kids is my main concern about the tv series, I rally don’t know how are they gonna pull it off. If they shoot seasons 3-4 back to back in 2012, then I guess they will rest 2013, see how the ratings go, and if they get the greenlight for seasons 4-5 they will probably shoot them back to back too, in 2014. But the problem will be after that…they will have to shoot season 6 in 2016, and by then all the kids will be clearly older..not only Bran, but Arya too.

Joshua

I know Dune has to be awesome, but is a bit overwhelming at this point in time…so many books and so huge, I think I missed my chance when I was young ;)

From Graves I loved Homer’s Daughter! And I’ve seen I Claudius on tv, great show

121. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

I recommend you give it a try nonetheless. The first book Dune can be read as a standalone novel as well. Just read the book before you watch the David Lynch film, despite some of the set design and costumes it will turn you off completely. It saddens me that Ridley Scott was supposed to direct the film before David Lynch. In fact my hope is that if Prometheus fares well in the box office, Scott might attempt to do it again.

That said the 2000 Miniseries is decent. It features really cheap production design but closer to the story. The follow up Children of Dune in 2003 is a great adaptation of Books 2 and 3. Great soundtrack to boot.

122. userj
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Just read Dune. It’s very self-contained, and fairly short. There’s no need at all to read the rest of the series (plus only maybe the first two sequels are any good at all).

I alos missed the boat when I was a kid and didn’t get around to reading it until halfway through college. :) STILL WORTH READING.

123. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

For Dune in my opinion you only need to read the first three books as the majority of the characters and threads in the first book are tied up nicely in book three. The last three books take place waaayyy into the future of the story’s timeline.

124. andrea
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano: I loved Homer’s Daughter

Nausícaa is one of my favorite female characters. I truly love that book.

125. Cari D. Burstein
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

With regards to Ysabel, I think one reason I didn’t like it as much as some of the others is that it’s sort of a mix of present day and the historical. I found it interesting, but I tend to prefer the more pure historical fantasy I see in some of his other books. It really just depends what style you’re into. That may also be why I didn’t get into the Fionvar Tapestry, if I recall it had a similar mix.

I’d also agree that the first couple Dune books are well worth reading- after that things sort of start to sprawl- I still enjoyed the later ones but not as much and I don’t think I’ve even bothered to read the last one or two of them. I saw the Dune movie in high school but didn’t get around to reading the books till well after college, and I’m definitely glad I made the time to read them.

If you’re looking for Sci-Fi, I highly recommend John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War.

Funny you mention I Claudius, I just finished watching the tv series of it a few weeks ago. It was quite interesting (and kind of amusing watching a much younger Patrick Stewart).