HBO releases new promo images and Q&A with Benioff & Weiss
By Winter Is Coming on in Media.

With a little over a week to go until Game of Thrones‘ season two premiere, HBO is making their last promo push. We just received an email that notified us of the “You Win or You Die” special hitting the web (too slow for us HBO!). But it also provided a new batch of promo images and a short Q&A with writers and producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

The images included some that were previously released as EW exclusives and now we have in hi-res and non-watermarked versions, but also contained quite a few new shots including this awesome one of Ygritte.

Ygritte - Rose Leslie

Credit: HBO/Oliver Upton

All the rest of the new images can be found at our Tumblr and I will also be adding them to our image gallery shortly.

As for that Benioff and Weiss Q&A, I’m including it here, after the break.

GAME OF THRONES CREATORS AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS DAVID BENIOFF AND D.B. WEISS DISCUSS SEASON TWO OF THE EMMY®- AND GOLDEN GLOBE-WINNING SERIES, DEBUTING APRIL 1 ON HBO

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic drama set in the world of Westeros, where ambitious men and women of both honor and ill-repute live in a land whose summers and winters can last years. Created and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, GAME OF THRONES plays out against the backdrop of a fast-approaching winter – the season of the white raven. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning fantasy series begins its ten-episode second season SUNDAY, APRIL 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, followed by other episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time.

Q: GAME OF THRONES found an enthusiastic following in its first season. What would you say to would-be viewers who are curious about the series, but don’t consider themselves fantasy fans?
D.B. WEISS: Give it a shot. GAME OF THRONES is not aimed at a niche audience. We’re proud of the fact that it’s a fantasy show – it’s set in a world that never existed and never will, there are fabulous buildings, sets, costumes and creatures you won’t see anywhere else – but our aim has always been for the show to speak to universal human themes of power, love, family, betrayal…all the things that have made so many kinds of storytelling so compelling for so many centuries.

Q: Season one featured the surprising execution of principal character Ned Stark. How did that event upset Westeros?
DBW: This season is largely about how Ned Stark’s death leads to a series of events that ultimately culminate in a war, pulling all the different factions in this world into open-armed conflict with each other. Almost every character is directly affected by the war in some way or another – even Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen, who are on far different corners of the world, feel the effects of the events that spring from Ned’s death.
Ned Stark’s death had a profound effect – he was the moral center of the first season and he lingers on as that moral presence. For his son Robb, especially, Ned’s death is really a driving force. King Joffrey killed his father, and Robb isn’t going to stop until he has avenged his father’s death. This vengeance motive feeds into Robb’s larger desire to see the North rule itself, to see it freed and lifted out from the under the thumb of a person who’s sure to be one of the worst kings in recorded memory. As the second season will make abundantly clear, Joffrey is not the guy you want sitting in the big chair.
DAVID BENIOFF: Ned tried to instill in his son the same moral values he was brought up with, a strong Northern code: Always do the honorable thing, no matter how hard that might be. But being the most honorable man in the room means you’re the most vulnerable man in the room. An honorable man is a predictable man, and predictability is weakness in war and politics. Robb understands that and he’s trying to navigate a path somewhere between pure honor and pragmatism.

Q: What are the major themes this season, other than the ongoing struggle for the Iron Throne?
DBW: Fundamentally, it’s about the universal human themes of power and family. It’s about the ways the personal can influence the political, and how the motivations of people in power are driven by very human, understandable motives like revenge and love, which are things we all have experience with. Put in the right place, those motivations and feelings can change the face of countries and worlds.

Q: Does season two follow book two, or have you taken greater creative liberties than you did in the first season?
DBW: I think fans of the show can expect to be surprised by some of what happens. Fans of the books will obviously have more of a line into events, but we’re taking approaches that might surprise them as well. A lot of the characters that George created are so rich and so wonderful that you often find yourself wondering what would happen if this one met that one: When Robb finds himself alone with Jaime, for instance, what do they say? And we’ve been blessed with such fabulous, talented actors that you really find yourself just wanting to write more and more for them, to explore the characters that they’re making their own. So there will definitely be some nice surprises. I think there’ll be excitement for both longtime readers and newcomers to the material.

Q: Did you have any specific concerns while filming the sophomore season?
DB: I was concerned about falling into a crevasse in Iceland. One of the perils of shooting on a glacier.
DBW: I was concerned that four hours’ sleep a night might not be enough for a person in the long term.

Q: If GAME OF THRONES continues with additional seasons, will you adapt one book per season, or try something different? Do you have an entire series arc in mind?
DBW: Well… “A Storm of Swords” is too long to fit in a single season. And as readers know, “A Feast for Crows” and “A Dance with Dragons” take place during roughly the same time frame, so we’ll have to fold those together. The plan, if we’re lucky enough to be given the opportunity to see it through, is to use as many seasons as we need to tell the story as a whole, to do justice to George’s entire opus.
DB: We’re not looking at our series as a book-by-book adaptation so much as an adaptation of George’s entire saga. In other words, in our minds season two is not “A Clash of Kings.” It is the second season of our adaptation of “A Song of Ice and Fire.”

Winter Is Coming: Ygritte looks amazing, as do all the new characters. Nine more days, people, nine more days!

1. Ahmad
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

First?!

She is beautiful!!!!

2. Ahmad
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Ahmad,

I mean, this is how I imagined Ygritte. Now why can’t 1st of April be here already!

3. Rukie44
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Ygritte! Finally a good shot of her, and she looks great!

4. andrea
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

she looks perfect.

5. Mormegil
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Looks great.

Apparently there was a new teaser shown that gives a glimpse of Rattleshirt.

6. Clob
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

7. Eric Allen
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Why is she wearing makeup?

8. andrea
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

so, AFFC and ADWD together , ok… How many seasons? I hope just one (or so, moving some AFFC plot to SoS, etc).
    I guess the number of seasons for the adaptation of FFC and DWD will be decided according G.Martin´s speed to write WoW O_o

9. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Awesome. The producers D&D are really committed to the GoTs series.

This series will go down as one of their greatest production/writter achievements.

I just hope all the cast and crew are aware of such a large commitment following through with this epic saga will demand of them. I also hope, of course, HBO allows this saga to continue until the end.

I am guessing a 10 season, 100 episode complete series.

Yes, a lot of the characters, Stark Children, will be a lot older then the books but so what.

I hope GoTs HBO ratings go through the roof!

House Stark!!!

10. Thethoughtful1
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

She looks the part for sure, but lipstic on a wildling?

11. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Ygritte looks pretty and she looks “touched by fire”.

I didn’t like the actor cast as Jaime at 1st because in the books I always pictured him bigger, more muscular and warrior like. Basically like a civilized Khal Drogo. But after a few episodes he grew on me. He looks every bit a warrior all dirty and chained like that for some reason…

12. sbj2k1
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I never pictured Jaime as muscular as Drogo.
    I always pictured Ygritte a lot dirtier. kinda how Osha was when she was introduced.
    I’m sure this is not a shot from the show, but a glamour shot before actual wildling makeup.
    She’s very pretty though. Adding to the competition of GoT hotties.

13. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

sbj2k1,

I know right! There are so many beautiful, powerful, seductive, alluring women in the GoTs cast… Eye candy for all us gents. But unlike other shows, there is so much more to them then their beauty.

14. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

You know nothing !!!!!!!

15. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I actually never imagined Ygritte as beautiful — pretty through Jon’s eyes, sure, but generally? Then again, I never imagined Jon as handsome, either — in my head he looked perpetually pouty/depressed/without sleep. I guess we gotta pull in ratings somehow.

Anyway, I, too, imagined her dirtier and hope that this was taken before the make-up. If not, she’s going to look magnificently out of place (unless the other wildlings are weirdly clean and/or attractive, too).

Now to read the actual interview, lol!

16. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Oh man I wish I could purchase the table of Westeros that Stannis has.

17. Beren
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

She really looks spot on, perfect. You know that when you see the picture and you say “look, its Ygritte” without having even seen her before or read the comments. Mad props to the casting team again, they never cease to impress me.

18. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Pink Dragon,

Maybe she is just one superhot wildling!?!

19. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

sbj2k1,

Osha had been travelling for a while. I’m sure wildlings would wash at least sometimes- maybe Ygritte has just had a bath in a hot spring.

20. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to hear her say, “You know nothing Jon Snow”….

21. sjwenings
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Imagined her at least a little scruffier, but hey! She looks somewhat exotic and very northern, so I’m good.

22. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

That could be very true, lol.

I’m anti-”Hollywood ugly” and all its descendants, although I know that is very, very unrealistic. It won’t ruin my love of a show/movie, generally, unless it becomes out of hand.

23. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Andrea

They will make AFFC and ADWD in 2 seasons of course, and the series total will be 9 seasons of 10 episodes, or 8 seasons of 10-12 episodes, till they reach 88 episodes, making the show elligible for Syndication.

24. Arthur
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

sbj2k1,

I’m not saying I’m not happy with the actor who is cast as Jaime now, he is a great actor and plays Jaime fine. I was just saying I pictured Jaime while I was reading the books as a more imposing warrior type like the actor who plays Gannicus in Spartacus.

25. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Also, I still want to know what Gilly looks like and if Hannah Murray can do her justice. I know the general consensus is that her and Sam’s plot is balls — at least that’s what a lot of folks think over at Westeros.org — but I always found it cute in a gross teenager kind-of way. She really does play a biggish part in upcoming seasons, and ol’ Sam gets a whole POV to himself that’s mostly her and Aemon, so I don’t think we should forget about her.

26. SillyMammo
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

sjwenings,

Yeah, I imagined her with a bit more dirt. I think the actress looks great for the part, just a little too clean in this promo shot.

27. wyvernwood
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

I think they will really be expanding Margaery’s role, and Natalie Dormer looks as awesome as ever. I really think she will be one of the surprise developments in S2, in particular what happens to her after Renly’s encounter with the shadow.

28. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Why do the Wildlings have to be dirty?? I don’t quite get it…

29. King Joffrey
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

She can kiss my fire anytime.

If you know what I mean.

… Someone help; I can’t make sense of it either.

30. Lalannister
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

No stills of the hound? :(

31. the goat
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

The Kingslayer:
    Oh man I wish I could purchase the table of Westeros that Stannis has.

You just wanna have sex with your sister on it!

Ygritte looks ygreat!
    “All men must die, Jon Snow. But first we’ll live.”

32. Idaan
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

33. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Why is it 88 episodes?

34. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Well, I can’t say this for sure because it’s been a long-ass time since I’ve read any book but ADwD, but they live a rough-and-tumble outdoorsy kind of life and I’m sure they don’t hold bathing in high regard so much as cuttin’ that dude’s head off because you want his wife or whatever.

At any rate, all the wildlings we’ve seen so far have been kinda icky, with the exception of Osha who cleaned up, presumably at the Starks’ behest (and even then). If they’re not dirty, they at least look as if they haven’t shaven/kept their hair/teeth etc, etc.

In short, they should look even less clean than our normal civilized people. It just would seem weird if Jon met up with a girl who was neater than he was, lol!

35. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Also, with that pale skin, she must get some nasty, nasty sunburn up there in the north…

EDIT: Anyway, I sound like a whiner but I don’t mean it. I’m sure she’ll be a fine Ygritte. I’m just alienated by the casting/make-up choices on the show every so often.

36. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Pink Dragon:
    Pau Soriano,

When the europeans, the “most civilized people” reached north america they had much, much much worst cleaning habits than the native americans, that “lived a rough-and-tumble outdoorsy kind of life”…

This stupid cliches kill me really

37. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot:

Why is it 88 episodes?

**What’s so magical about 88 episodes? The prevailing Hollywood mindset is that 88 episodes is the minimum number of episodes necessary to be able to “strip” a show in syndication, i.e., run it Monday-Friday at the same time. All shows, regardless of number of episodes can be sold into syndication, but shows that can be stripped can command higher per-episode pricing. The magic number for being able to strip a show in syndication used to be “100″ but at least for the last few years it has been 88.

from http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/05/14/bubble-watch-season-finale-on-fringe-chuck-and-v-one-more-time/92632/

But The Sopranos got Syndication with 86.

38. Lars
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano:
    Andrea

A heavily serialized show like GOT is not a great syndication fit, but given its popularity it clearly has sold to many countries already.

As for how may episodes there will be – they have given hints in interviews that the current plan is for 8 seasons of 10 episodes each – for a total of 80 episodes. I don’t think they will do more than 10 episodes per season, they seem pretty happy with that amount.

39. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

I’m trying to answer Shinyteapot but I can’t wth..maybe is becasue I’m linking something.

Here without the link:

“What’s so magical about 88 episodes? The prevailing Hollywood mindset is that 88 episodes is the minimum number of episodes necessary to be able to “strip” a show in syndication, i.e., run it Monday-Friday at the same time. All shows, regardless of number of episodes can be sold into syndication, but shows that can be stripped can command higher per-episode pricing. The magic number for being able to strip a show in syndication used to be “100″ but at least for the last few years it has been 88″

40. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Lars: There is no magical episode count limit for syndication. It used to be ~100, but many shows have been sold with far fewer episodes.

I know they are hinting 8, but thats with the series being 7 books…I’m pretty confident they will be either 8 books total (Paris is always suggesting that) or 2 very long last ones (wich will need 3 seasons, like is happenning now with ACOK and ASOS), thats why my bet is still 9 series of 10 episodes, for a total of 90 ;)

41. Langkard
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

I also didn’t picture book Ygritte as really pretty in my mind, but I have no trouble believing Rose Leslie as the character. She looks spectacular in the above shot, but if you look at the shot on the cast page here on WiC, she looks exactly right. Her IMDB pic also gives her a more Ygritte look, even as a promo shot, although she clearly doesn’t have book Ygritte’s crooked teeth.

I’m sold. Then again, I have a weakness for redheads. I married a redhead. My daughter is a redhead. I am unable to find fault with redheads. So… I may be a little biased. :)

42. sj
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

It’s not a deal-breaker for me, and I’m fully aware how abominable European hygiene was during the medieval/renaissance period. But given the wildlings we saw in the pilot (though admittedly they were dismembered/undead) and the ones we saw with Osha & company, I did expect something a bit on the scruffier side, if not necessarily dirty.

Then again, if she’s a renowned beauty among her group of wildlings, it might make sense that she grooms herself a bit more than the others. Like I said, it doesn’t bug me a lot. I’m just saying they could have made her a little more rough around the edges. In the end, the acting will be the factor that makes her character work, not just her appearance.

43. Pink Dragon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Well, er, it has nothing to do with history so much as the wildlings we have seen have been gross. I don’t think you can really compare them to Native Americans. :) It’s not a cliché if it’s looking like a canon fact.

See sj’s post above for a more eloquent statement.

44. Lars
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

I also expected Ygritte to look … dirtier. :) But we’ll have to wait and see how she appears in the show. This could have been a posed portrait without the typical makeup.

45. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

sj:
    Pau Soriano,

It’s not a deal-breaker for me, and I’m fully aware how abominable European hygiene was during the medieval/renaissance period.But given the wildlings we saw in the pilot (though admittedly they were dismembered/undead) and the ones we saw with Osha & company, I did expect something a bit on the scruffier side, if not necessarily dirty.

Then again, if she’s a renowned beauty among her group of wildlings, it might make sense that she grooms herself a bit more than the others.Like I said, it doesn’t bug me a lot.I’m just saying they could have made her a little more rough around the edges.In the end, the acting will be the factor that makes her character work, not just her appearance.

Yeah, I see what you mean, and they will probably go for the easy route and portray them as you describe, but I will be dissapointed if they do…they are the “free people”, not the “dirty people”!

Any example you take in our world of far less “civilized” communities, being the Inuits in the north, or the tribes in Africa, the Amazon or the Polynesia, I assure you, cleaningless is at the top of their priorities, and their members spend quite some time grooming themselves.

But o well…

Edit: Well, the wildlings we’ve seen were fugitives. Some studies I’ve read recently, as well as a exhibition I saw 3 years ago in a museum in Lithuania portray the stone age people that lived during the late stone age and early bronze age in europe, wich relate very well to the Wildlings, as much more civilized than we thought before, and very worried about their appearances, as findings like combs, fine jewelry etc etc prove

46. Rhoswen7
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

On the HBO media site, the new photos released on 3/23/2012 appear with the episode #s they are from. I uploaded screenshots in case you’re interested in the info:

Edited to add: If you don’t already have hi-res versions of any of the photos shown, I can send them to you (I didn’t see the one of Nonso Anozie on the Tumblr site).

47. Langkard
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano: Not really…The Sopranos got Syndication with 86, and I think that Battlestart Gallactica got it with 75, but you have to add the 2 movies, webseries etc, prolly made to reach that minimun number of hours…I can’t think of any other modern series getting Syndication with “far less” than 88

The number of episodes doesn’t really equate to success in syndication. The original Star Trek only had 79 episodes, but is one of the most successful syndications ever. The Prisoner only had 17 episodes and also has been in syndication multiple times. Likewise, Monty Python’s Flying Circus only had 45 episodes but remains in syndication after 40 years.

There are also examples of shows with 100+ episodes which bombed in syndication.

Quality is the key; and I don’t think anyone can argue that GoT is lacking that department. Well, OK, some here probably would argue that. But they’d also argue if someone stated that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

48. Greatjon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

All you can see is her face and she’s surrounded by ice for as far as the eye can see. Honestly, it would look weird if she WAS covered in dirt. I guess her furs could be a little more worn, but that’s really nitpicky.

And holy crap does that picture zoom in. Man, that’s gotta be a little uncomfortable to have so many people around the world basically able to examine the pores of your skin. I know I wouldn’t like that, anyway.

49. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Langkard: The number of episodes doesn’t really equate to success in syndication.The original Star Trek only had 79 episodes, but is one of the most successful syndications ever.The Prisoner only had 17 episodes and also has been in syndication multiple times.Likewise, Monty Python’s Flying Circus only had 45 episodes but remains in syndication after40 years.

Quality is the key; and I don’t think anyone can argue that GoT is lacking that department.Well, OK, some here probably would argue that.But they’d also argue if someone stated that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

Who said anything about success in Syndication??

We are not talking about that. We are trying to guess how many episodes they will make. A show with 88 episodes is worth more than a show with 80, hence HBO will definitelly try to reach 88. Why? To make more money. Ofc we are all guessing here, but well, money makes the world go round, the world go round, the world go round….

50. Mormegil
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Idaan: That still of Davos reminds me – do we know the status of his fingers? He has the pouch around his neck, but have we seen any promos where his hands are visible?

For the most part the actor wears a glove and has his fingers bent down so they look like they are gone, I’m sure there will be some CGI shots as well clearly showing the missing fingers.

51. Michael Harper
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Rhoswen7,

It says that the image of Ygritte is from Episode 8. I think this could lead us to assume that Jon could possibly kill Qhorin Halfhand in Episode 7 or 8 – depending on what scene that image is. I’m going to assume that the final Jon Snow scene in the show will be him arriving at Mance Rayder’s army in Episode 10, and we may get one or two episodes where he is travelling with the Wildlings – which we’ve seen in the trailers.

52. Sam S
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I don’t care that Ygritte looks too beautful or not dirty enough…she looks amazing! Seriously gorgeous.

53. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

As for the cleanliness of the people north of the Wall, it’s not that hard to scrub yourself off when you have snow available. I learned that more than well when I had to do my military service.

Not to mention the obvious point that you don’t get nearly as dirty in a cold and snowy environment. Not only does snow cover most things but the dirt is frozen and won’t rub off on you much.

54. andrea
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Lars,

Could you please explain what Syndication means for you? I have no idea how this word is connected with the number of episodes in a series. Evidently not the same meaning as the Spanish word.
    Still hoping for just one season of AFFC and ADWD.

55. Owen Parker
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Michael Harper:
    Rhoswen7,

I’m not so sure. They spend a fair amount of time together before that. If she is introduced in 208 then we might not see Qhorin’s end until 210. Depends how focused the Blackwater ep gets as well – we might not see some of the other threads in that episode.

56. Jeff Cary
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

still do not like the choice for Ygritte… hopefully I will change my mind when the show starts. but she just looks too darn mousey for a wildling…

57. bon
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Ser Rodrick in season 2!!! I was so afraid about him, because he wasn’t in any trailer yet.

58. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

the goat: You just wanna have sex with your sister on it!

Ygritte looks ygreat!
    “All men must die, Jon Snow.But first we’ll live.”

Actually there’s a taller blonde woman I want on that table ;-)

59. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

As for the whole Ygritte lipstick-gate you have to sex her up a bit, I mean it is HBO after all and this is the woman who makes Jon forsake his vows.

60. Mirax
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

You can still see a couple of freckles on her lips. I’m betting it’s slightly tinted lip-gloss so she doesn’t get chapped lips in the cold. She looks great, in any case. :D

61. Langkard
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

andrea:
    Lars,

Could you please explainwhat Syndication means for you? I have no idea how this word is connected with the number of episodes in a series. Evidently not the same meaning as the Spanish word.
    Still hoping for just one season of AFFC and ADWD.

In this case, television broadcast syndication is the term for the sale of the rights to rerun a TV series on multiple stations, after its original seasons. For example, the original Star Trek was broadcast for just 3 seasons. It was then sold as a syndicated series and appeared on many television stations for many years.

In many cases, syndication is the real money maker for a television series. Syndicators generally prefer to purchase the rights to series with at least 88 episodes, preferably 100 episodes. This is because syndicated television series are often shown 5 days a week for multiple weeks. A show with 100 episodes works out to a nice even 20 weeks of 5 shows each; so 100 episodes is considered the target for a television show’s financial backers.

In the case of some shows, they actually don’t become popular until syndicated across many stations. Star Trek being the perfect example of success in syndication. The BBC show The Prisoner is an even better example. It has a large fan base generated by syndication of a show which only had 17 episodes before it was cancelled.

Previous HBO shows are now in syndication on non-HBO channels now, such as The Sopranos, which is being re-shown in syndication on the A&E cable network. Syndication rights for a Game of Thrones series will likely also be sold by HBO, hopefully for a series with many episodes!

62. Sword-O-Da-Mornin'
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Jaime a civilized khal drogo? lol what book u readin

63. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Speaking of controversial castings…Hibberd at EW praises Stephen Dillane and Gemma Whelan.

GoT portion is in the middle of the page.

64. twincast
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Arthur:
    sbj2k1,

I’m not saying I’m not happy with the actor who is cast as Jaime now, he is a great actor and plays Jaime fine.I was just saying I pictured Jaime while I was reading the books as a more imposing warrior type like the actor who plays Gannicus in Spartacus.

Frankly not much of a difference IMHO.

65. andrea
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Langkard,

thank you! Good to know. I guess, HBO aside, all series are syndicated here. Some of them are broadcast in many many different channels, mostly dubbed in Spanish. “The Sopranos” is the only syndicated series from HBO (here).

66. Hexonx
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

andrea,

I tried to post a link earlier but for some reason it didn’t post. This is from Wikipedia:

Shows of fewer episodes have become syndication successes. For example, Lost in Space ceased production in 1968 after 84 episodes because[citation needed] it was becoming very expensive to produce. The original Star Trek series had only 79 episodes available when it ended in 1969 but after syndication it spawned multiple feature films and five spin-off series. Extreme examples include The Prisoner and Hondo, both successfully syndicated for more than 30 years[citation needed] despite having only 17 episodes produced. Similarly, The Honeymooners was syndicated with only 39 episodes produced, though later compilations of other Honeymooners sketches from The Jackie Gleason Shows eventually brought this number to well over 100.[citation needed] The 1973–1974 series Dusty’s Trail only lasted 26 episodes yet has been repeated to this day due in part to its public domain status,[citation needed] which makes it extremely cheap to repeat (although 20th Television does own ancillary rights). More recently, Clueless has been more successful in syndication than during its network run,[citation needed] even though only 62 episodes had been produced by the time the series ended in 1999. The original 1978 series Battlestar Galactica and its spin-off Galactica 1980 produced a combined 31 episodes, yet it not only remains in syndication but it also led to a 2003 reimagining that produced a 75-episode TV series.
    The growth of cable and satellite television has prompted channels to rerun series more often, with fewer episodes. Reruns of a particular show may air multiple times a day, several days a week, despite having only one or two seasons of episodes produced.
    In recent years, the 100-episode milestone for syndication has been lowered to 88 episodes. Shows approaching the 88-episode target are often renewed despite low ratings in order to ensure syndication. Production companies can offer discounts on licensing fees to networks to encourage renewal.[4]
    Shows that are approaching the 88-episode syndication milestone but get poor ratings are often moved to graveyard slots on Friday or Saturday in order to burn off remaining episodes.
    An extreme example of a show renewed for syndication was ‘Til Death. During its third season, ‘Til Death was pulled from Fox’s lineup in October 2008 after seven episodes due to low ratings. ‘Til Death was later renewed for a fourth season after Sony Pictures Entertainment offered Fox a discount on the licensing fee. Unaired episodes from the third season were broadcast alongside fourth season episodes from October 2009 onwards, first on Fridays and later on Sundays. The show eventually reached 81 episodes, enough for off-network syndication.[5][6]

Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

OT, but today I got to sit on the IRON THRONE! My city had a 10-hour GOT marathon, at a local movie theatre on the big screen, for free!

68. Hexonx
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Thats pretty awesome! Was it HD? I’m watching March Madness online right now and they are advertising the hell out of GoT.

Posted March 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Hexonx:
    Lex,

Not sure if it was HD… but it looked pretty good on the big screen! I only watched one episode, though. I mainly went to sit on the Iron Throne!

In between episodes, they were showing people’s live tweets on the big screen. One tweet said “Ned dies! #spoileralert #ihopethisisntyourfirstviewing”. A few people in the theatre cried out, “WHAT? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?” I felt bad for them, someone should have been screening those tweets!

70. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Why IN THE SEVEN HELLS can’t we link a link anymore?? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Andrea, check this:
    La estructura del panorama televisivo estadounidense, con unas cadenas grandes en abierto (las networks), unas cadenas locales pequeñas afiliadas a esas grandes y unos canales que emiten por cable, lleva a que se den métodos de emisión de programas menos comunes en países más pequeños y con una estructura televisiva menos complicada. Uno de esos métodos es la sindicación, un término que se oye mucho cada vez que cadenas y estudios empiezan a negociar las renovaciones de series que ya están llegando a la cuarta o la quinta temporada, y del que se suele decir en los mentideros televisivos americanos que es donde está realmente el dinero.

En estos meses en los que las cadenas empiezan a confeccionar sus parrillas para el próximo otoño, decidiendo qué series renuevan y cuáles cancelan y qué pilotos de los que han pedido se quedan para convertirlos en series, el término sindicación va a surgir más de una vez cuando se hable de las negociaciones para decidir el futuro de algunos programas (como ‘Community‘), pues algunos estudios pueden ser más receptivos a rebajar el precio por episodio que les piden a las cadenas si saben que van a vender los derechos de repetición a un canal pequeño. Porque, al final, la sindicación no es más que una reemisión de una serie en una cadena diferente de la que la estrenó. O no exactamente.

Segunda emisión

Hace décadas, la sindicación era una forma de que los canales locales pudieran tener programación de ficción o talk shows que no podían producir por sí mismos, así que compraban los derechos de, por ejemplo, series ya exitosas en sus cadenas originales para incluirlas en sus parrillas, teniendo así una programación más amplia. La definición que da la Asociación de Cadenas Sindicadas de Televisión es, precisamente, “un método de llevar programación a cadenas televisivas locales a nivel nacional“. La modalidad más conocida es la reemisión de series que ya han sido emitidas por las networks. Teniendo en cuenta que, en sindicación, dichas series se programan diariamente, suele esperarse a que tengan un determinado de capítulos para que su emisión sindicada no se vea rellenada con demasiadas repeticiones. El número mínimo se sitúa en 88 episodios, pero lo más habitual es que el acuerdo de sindicación no se firme hasta que no se llega a la cifra más redonda de 100 capítulos, que muchas series alcanzan en la quinta temporada. Eso sí, siempre hay excepciones a esta regla. TNT compró los derechos para sindicación de ‘Bones‘ cuando ésta acababa de finalizar la tercera temporada, en 2008.
    Porque la sindicación no se refiere sólo a cadenas locales, tipo la afiliada de NBC en Nueva York o la de CBS en Toledo (Ohio), sino que también incluye a los canales por cable básico. Éstos tienen ficción de producción propia, pero no la suficiente para confeccionar toda la parrilla semanal. En TNT, por ejemplo, emiten también ‘Embrujadas‘, ‘El mentalista‘ o ‘Ángel‘, USA tiene ‘CSI‘ y AMC, ‘CSI: Miami‘, y podríamos seguir y seguir. En series veteranas y caras, como esas dos de CBS, tener un lucrativo contrato de sindicación puede salvarlas de la cancelación.

Generalmente, las sitcom tienen más fácil acceder a esta segunda vida fuera de las networks porque sus repeticiones tienden a funcionar mejor que las de los dramas, y muchas veces siguen siendo allí de las más vistas, como ocurre con ‘The Big Bang Theory‘ en TBS. Hay canales cuya programación casi completa se basa en reemisiones de series, muchas veces ya con unos cuantos años encima, como TV Land, pero en la sindicación no sólo hay programas “de segunda mano”.

Programación original

Muchas veces, se producen programas directamente para la sindicación porque resultan más baratos que si se orientaran a las networks. Buena parte de los talk shows del daytime están producidos así, de ‘Ellen‘ a ‘LIVE with Kelly‘ y hasta concursos como la versión estadounidense de ‘La ruleta de la fortuna‘. Y desde hace ya varias décadas, no es nada raro que se hagan series que se emiten primero en sindicación, series que, de otro modo, tal vez no hubieran visto nunca la luz

‘La leyenda del buscador‘ es uno de los últimos ejemplos, que además sigue la tradición de las series salidas de la productora de Sam Raimi, caso de ‘Xena, la princesa guerrera‘, de nacer así. Clásicos de la ciencia ficción como ‘Star Trek: La nueva generacion‘ y ‘Babylon 5‘ se produjeron directamente para su emisión sindicada, y otras encontraron en este mercado una casi inesperada resurrección. ‘Los vigilantes de la playa‘, por ejemplo, debutó originalmente en la NBC en 1989, fue cancelada en su primera temporada y, después, fue revivida siendo producida directamente para la sindicación.

El cambio de Internet

Todo este panorama está empezando a cambiar por el entrada de servicios de vídeo streaming como Hulu, que adquirió los derechos de sindicación de ‘Community’ el pasado mes de diciembre. Esa puerta a las reemisiones vía web representa una oportunidad de ganar dinero de series con bajas audiencias en las networks y que viven casi perennemente al filo de la cancelación. la sindicación de ‘30 Rock‘ en Comedy Central, por ejemplo, puede ser un argumento que incline su futuro más hacia la renovación que la cancelación, y la entrada de Hulu y servicios de vídeo bajo demanda en la compra de derechos de sindicación abre más el panorama televisivo y, lógicamente, lo va a cambiar poco a poco

71. Hexonx
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

For anyone that has played Mass Effect, that dress that Margaery is wearing kind of reminds me of Krogan armor .

She kind of looks Drell though.

72. andrea
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Hexonx,

thanks to you too. I didn´t watch any of these series. But I get it now.

73. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

andrea:
    Hexonx,

thanks to you too. I didn´t watch any of these series. But I get it now.

I’m sure you don’t, ’cause nothing of what Hexonx copypasted from Wikipedia explained what Syndication is :P He just posetd the section that talks about succesful Syndication etc…I’d link another link but I can’t, so sorry guys for anothe spanish wall of text :S

“¿que es la sindicación? Es una pesima traducción, porque lo correcto es “redifusion”. Cuando una serie se ha producido directamente para la “sindicación” es exactamente con el fin de emitirla en distintas cadenas a la vez. Esto se conoce como “First run sindication”, o sea, cuando un grupo de emisoras se ponen de acuerdo para comprar un programa o incluso producirlo, comprometiendose a estrenarlo en la red de emisoras sindicadas.

¿Cuál es al ventaja? La serie es responsabilidad de la productora y no de la cadena que lo emite que no tiene ni voz ni voto a la hora de la elaboración. ¿Cuál es la desventaja? Pues que la productora tiene que costearse completa la serie. Si va mal se jode.

Por eso la sindicacion es complicada. Normalmente en USA las productoras prefieren trabajar con una cadena grande porque así comparten gastos, pero los creadores de la serie tienen que aguantar al menos tres o cuatro años de que la cadena les este fregando la vida (lease Fox) ya que es el periodo de exclusividad que se maneja regularmente. Eso significa que al momento de vender la emision de la serie, la productora tiene que repartir dolares con la cadena. Cuando pueden, algunas productoras prefieren tomar el riesgo de costearse sus series y luego venderlas manteniendo sus derechos intactos, sobre todo los creativos. Fue el caso de la saga de Star Trek: Roddenberry, despues del lio que le armo NBC con la saga original, decidio que TNG seria “first run sindication”, y tras su muerte los que siguieron la saga decidieron respetar la voluntad de Roddenberry y asi DS9, Voyager y Entrerprise no estuvieron ligadas a ningun canal. Creo que tambien fue el caso de las ultimas temporadas de Buffy.

Pero lo habitual es que la mayor parte de los programas “first-rum sindication” sean talk show, concursos, etc., o sea programas de corte diario, baratos de producir y que tienen beneficios constantes.

and also

“En Estados Unidos Fox es una cadena grande, que tiene diferentes filiales en estados como Texas o Michigan (estoy puro nombrando a modo de ejemplo). Fox emite House pero por el asunto de horarios (hora del este, hora centro, hora costa, ya que USA es un pais que tiene como 7 husos horarios), distribuye House entre sus filiales, o sea, WYFX de Ohio y KKFX de Santa Barbara, California.

PERO ESO NO ES SINDICACION. Sindicacion es cuando House se emite por Fox Y POR ABC (por ponerte una cadena conocida), algo asi como Monk que se emite por Telemadrid y por FdF. Lo que te confunde tal vez es que no hayas recordado que una cadena puede agrupar varios canales (ejemplo A3 que tiene A3, Neox, Nova y Nitro). Cuando hablamos que una serie esta sindicada no estamos diciendo que se emite por diferentes canales, sino por diferentes cadenas.

En Estados Unidos hay cadenas grandes (como ABC), cadenas pequeñas, cadenas regionales, cadenas de cable… Como las cadenas grandes tienen filiales, el resto tiene que hacer malabares para competir, asi que usan lo de la “union hace la fuerza” y forman “grupos de cadenas” o “sindicatos” por ponertelo de una manera sencilla. Son cadenas independientes, normalmente ligadas por ser de la misma region o con un mismo estilo de programacion, que tienen un problema que tienen todos los canales: rellenar la parrilla y que para su propio beneficio compran en grupo un paquete de series y de programas que emiten sin ninguna excluvisidad porque asi abaratan costos. Por ejemplo, una cadena de Texas y una de Oklahoma emiten el mismo talk show y Law and order.

¿Cual es la ventaja para estas cadenas sindicadas? Que individualmente la cadena no tiene que hacer grandes esfuerzos para mantener actualizada su parrilla. El grupo al que pertenece las compra, asi que solo tiene que decidir en que horario pone Smallville.

La sindicacion significa que una cadena NO TIENE LA EXCLUSIVIDAD DE LA EMISION DE LA SERIE. ¿Que hace Fox con sus series sindicadas? Pues vende las temporadas ya finalizadas, asi se asegura tener los capitulos de estreno, y eso le da ventaja. Por ponertelo claro: Fox (y sus canales filiales) emite la octava temporada de House, y WB comienza con la primera. Es el caso de Animaniacs: es una serie sindicada, que comenzo en Fox, pero ahora los derechos los tiene WB, y se emite (o se ha emitido) en Cartoon Network (que es de Time Warner), pero tambien por Nick que es de la cadena MTV. Algo asi como Bob Esponja que paso por Telecinco, Cuatro y Clan.

Hay series que se hacen directamente para sindicacion, o sea, que una productora no se liga a una cadena, sino a un grupo de ellas para que les emita una serie. Por ejemplo, haces una serie y decides llamarla “Urdargarin el estafador”. Pero es muy cara o no le interesa a una gran cadena ¿que es lo que se puede hacer? venderla a varias. Y se las vendes a una serie de cadenas (KCAL de Los Angeles, KMCI de Kansas City y WMLW-CA de Milwaukee). Tu como productor cargas con el mayor peso de la financiacion de tu serie (esa es la pega) pero a cambio las cadenas no pueden meter en tu serie”

74. andrea
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Clarísimo! muchas gracias. Community cancelada? :(
    El asunto de vender las series a servicios de vídeo streaming era algo que se veía venir.
    I also had trouble accessing links today.
    Thanks again.

WOW! that’s a great explanation. Re-difusión es la palabra correcta.

75. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

andrea:

Clarísimo! muchas gracias. Community cancelada? :(
    I also had trouble accessing links today.
    Thanks again.

WOW! that’s a great explanation. Re-difusión es la palabra correcta.

No Community is not cancelled, precisely thanks to Syndication…Yeah, re-difusion, but its called syndication cause this smaller networks make “Syndicates” to be able to buy the shows for their networks

76. the goat
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard:

So are we officially calling this exfoli-gate?

77. tysnow
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 12:11 am | Permalink

A Rose isn’t a rose unless it is kissed by fire. Best pic of our (at least mine) favorite wildling.

By the way, what is up with this not dirty enough BS, my God, it is cold and snow. The only way to get dirty is to shovel all that snow to bare earth and grab a pick and have at it on the frozen tundra permafrost. Geez people, slap those brains awake. Have any of you lived in the great white north, I have, and when 5 feet or more of snow is on the ground and it is the middle of winter, all you get is cold, sweaty cloths, and icecicles growing on the skin/hair.
    If anything, Ygritte should look more like THIS, than covered in dirt.

78. alex
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Eric Allen,

Lipstick, foundation, blusher, eyeshadow and eyeliner. Life north of the Wall must require women to be very glamourous indeed. Rose Leslie wore less makeup playing a twentieth century woman in Downton:

79. Lady Stoneheart
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:09 am | Permalink

the whole cast looks fantastic! I can’t wait to see it all in action! I’m just disappointed that the seasons are a year apart and having to wait for season 3 and aSoS! In the end I know the wait will be worth it.

80. Spryte
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Whyyyy are we even getting ahead of ourselves and talking about syndication? Talk about pressure for the writers, producers, actors, and so on!

Okay, I understand this is a fantastic series with the potential for longevity, and we want to see the series fulfilled til the end, but can’t we just play it by ear? Enjoy it as its presented!…for however long that may be. We, the fans, obviously have a huge influence on some of the actors of the series already, let’s just stop imposing so much pressure on these fantastic people. Just enjoy it and keep supporting it as long as it exists!

81. Restore The Day
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:56 am | Permalink

People Of Westeros! Your Show Needs You To Survive Another Glorious Week Of Combat!

hulu.com/bestinshow

82. Lina
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:02 am | Permalink

I have two favorites from this batch of photos. The one of Ygritte, which is a simple, beautiful, and telling portrait. And the shot of Melisandre, which looks like a Renaissance painting. Seriously, the composition, color palette and intense lighting make it look like a Caravaggio.

83. theamberkey
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:34 am | Permalink

Guys, this is off-topic. But I had the chance to watch an advance screening of episode one here in Oregon tonight. And it’s amazing.

Awesomely amazing.

84. lonas
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Owen Parker,

Kit has mentioned several times how episode 9 is veeeeery important for Jon. So i assume its the ” cloak turning” and the fight with Halfhand.

85. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:45 am | Permalink

theamberkey,

Awesome! How were Dillane and Van Houten?

86. RogueEntity
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 3:07 am | Permalink

I don’t think the picture is actually from the series. Just a promo pic, and so likely made to look nicer. Aside from all the other explanations for this above, she’s looking right into the camera, which is a big no-no in anything other than comedies.

87. Mimsy
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Off topic, but interesting. This weeks Secret Circle referenced Game of Thrones! haha
    Near the end of the CW’s Secret Circle, the two main love birds did a counter love spell to reverse another “curse” and as a result the love interest, Adam, basically told the girl, Cassie, that he no longer has feelings for her, but definitely wants to come back to her pad and “finish watching the Game of Thrones.”

lol ..yeah.. that’s what a high school girl wants to hear! “You’re a’ight.. but GOT rulz.”

Don’t judge me for watching Secret Circle. My inner 12 year old needs nurturing every once in a while. :)

88. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 3:51 am | Permalink

theamberkey,

Do you think we can find any illegal CAM versions of these many screenings online? i just can’t wait any longer!

89. Kaeth
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:06 am | Permalink

ygritte looks great but i always did picture her a little different. I remember seeing osha in the first season and thinking she was a perfect ygritte.

90. the goat
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:20 am | Permalink

theamberkey,

You lucky bastard! Cheers!

The first season changed television, but the next three years will literally explode minds. Like this:

I also remain convinced that the RW will singlehandedly be responsible for fixing the world economy, since all the non-bookreaders will inevitably destroy/deface/toss-out-the-window their various HDTVs/laptops/Ipads/etc, thus forcing them to buy new ones within the following week.

91. DavosFTW!
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:20 am | Permalink

lol Game of Thrones got a mention on The Secret Circle.

92. theamberkey
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I thought they were excellent! Definitely not like I imagined either of them, but I like this fresh take. We didn’t get a lot in the first episode, but enough to whet the appetite. :)

HERP-DERP,

I would not recommend such a thing. :p It really is worth waiting for the higher quality.

The episode is pretty disjointed, as they remind us who people are and where they are. But trust me. It ends with a bang.

93. Langkard
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 5:09 am | Permalink

I am now quite jealous of Lex and theamberkey. And happy for you both too. A free screening of the first season plus the iron throne and an advance screening of episode 1 for this season. I recommend that neither of you buy a lottery ticket this week. You’ve used up all your good luck for the week.

94. theamberkey
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Langkard,

Well, I was hardly singled out. There were about 300 people in that theater. :) I did win a prize for a trivia question, though! The question was insultingly easy (what is the capitol of the Seven Kingdoms?), but, you know. It’s the winning that counts.

95. persephone88
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 5:45 am | Permalink

The pics are all lovely, and I think those cast look good, but did anyone else think it looks like Ygritte is wearing a Land’s End hood? What is that material? I expected a lot more fur or leather like the Starks wear. And I am not loving any of the clothes we’ve seen on Margaery yet. I expected High Garden peeps to be in very colorful, well … delicate, flowery sort of garb. I’m thinking Margaery’s character has been changed to seem older and a LOT more obviously conniving right up front between the ridiculously plunging necklines and sexy shots of her and Renly. Not sure if I like them being so up front about it – I found Margaery to be interesting because she played the sweet naive thing role so well that Cersei couldn’t prove that whole did she or didn’t she plot point…

96. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

dont worry we have chrome browser to translate

97. DavosFTW!
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Mimsy,

you beat me too it. haha rubbish episode, average show, nice potential, rubbish writing, needs more Davos.

98. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Thanks for the reply. I was confused because 88 episodes/5 days per week doesn’t quite work. I suppose it might with bank holidays/local equivalent taken into account.

So something around that number would be ideal, but it’s not an absolute requirement if the show is good enough (which it is). I imagine it would be cut quite drastically for ‘normal’ tv channels though, both to allow adverts and to remove all the sex scenes and/or gore and violence, depending on which country it’s in!

99. userj
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Clob: Jaime all scruffy and dirty in this newest picture really resembles Sawyer from lost to me. :)

Ha! Sawyer is exactly who I imagined Jaime in my mind’s eye while reading the books. NCW is even better though. :)

100. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Shinyteapot:
    Pau Soriano,

Thanks for the reply.I was confused because 88 episodes/5 days per week doesn’t quite work.I suppose it might with bank holidays/local equivalent taken into account.

So something around that number would be ideal, but it’s not an absolute requirement if the show is good enough (which it is).I imagine it would be cut quite drastically for ‘normal’ tv channels though, both to allow adverts and to remove all the sex scenes and/or gore and violence, depending on which country it’s in!

Syndication only refers to American TV. Other countries is not Syndication, they just sell the rights to a network and air the show at rougly the same time as HBO does, and from week to week not from monday to friday. In the US, small networks come toguether in “syndicates” to put money toguether and buy the rights for this big shows)(realities or series like GoT, so they can then fill their tv roster with things like local news, a couple of local shows and them lots of show re-runs

About the 88 episodes, I had no idea either, but a simple calculation (88/5=17.6 and 17.6*3=52.8, wich is exactly the numer of weeks a year has) seems to inferr that this syndication runs are every 4 months. With 88 episodes you have exactly for 4 months.

I haven’t lived in the states for a while (well, for more than 22 years now haha) so I’m not sure how syndication reruns air, but I used to remember there are 3 seasons? like the main season, that starts in October or so, the so called mid-season, that started last month, and the summer season, that I guess starts in June. If this Syndication reruns are made to match this seasons, then 88 makes sense.

It’s not a matter of the show being good or bad, really. Of course the show “doesn’t need” to be 88 episodes. But an 88 episode show it’s worth much more “syndication money” than a 80 episodes one, whereas an 100 episodes one is worth basically the same than a 90 episodes one, with the downside than each year the show will cost more and more money to produce.

That’s why, unless they show is HUGELY succesful, they will never make a season more that then ones needed to get syndication. Now I’m not an expert so I don’t know if that number is 80, 90 or 100, but all the inputs I had lately say this number is in fact 88, that’s why my bet is for 9 seasons of 10 episodes, because well, money makes the world go round, the world go round, the world go round,,,

Weiss already said the plan is to make roughly 8 seasons at the moment, so 9 seasons is not that far off…if they reach that point in time, were basically they can get an extra season “for free”, they will ofc go for it (and then theres my personal bet, that George will write 8 books, making a 9th seasons mandatory).

And well, to the guy that didn’t like us talking about syndication, were else can we talk about it if not here?? This is “the source for news, rumors, speculation and discussion about HBO’s Game of Thrones” isn’t it? If you want we can talk about my beloved Barça and how Leo Messi is the best footballer of all times, but I think that would belong to another forum :P

PS: Shinyteapot you mention blood and gore and sex and censorship etc…are you american? I mean, do you know if that is a common practice there? I really can’t imagine them (or any western country) cutting GoT to be able to show it. I guess they’ll show it late at nite. I know The Sopranos was syndicated, and I guess successfully, so if any american can tell us at what times did they show this syndication reruns I’d be greatly in debt :)

101. userj
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Pink DragonI know the general consensus is that her and Sam’s plot is balls: but I always found it cute in a gross teenager kind-of way.

Wha?? Sam+Gilly is beautiful and adorable. Haters to the left.

102. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

I’m British. Some of our channels show repeats of old series just about every day so we have something similar- but they’re all national level channels. It’s usually less controversial stuff like Quantum Leap though.

Sky Atlantic shows Game of Thrones exactly as on HBO, as far as I’m aware. But that’s a channel you pay for- free to air channels sometimes cut things. It varies quite a lot and usually comes down to how likely the daily mail is to have a shrieking fit (if it’s on the BBC, probably. 2am on channel 4, no-one cares). In general, though not always, we tend to be a little more liberal than the US about nudity/sex, though not as much as our continental neighbours. Things are also cut to comply with rules on product placement- they’ve been changed recently but are still stricter than in the US I think.

103. Morgan King
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

The Sopranos reruns on A&E are censored, but barely, and GoT could go the same way. Hard to imagine anyone still watching cable TV in 7 years, though, for syndication or edited episodes to even matter.

104. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I’m in love /o/ she looks amazing!

and nice Q&A, WiC!

105. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Editing GoT would butcher it. Trying to watch Sopranos or Sex and the City in edited versions is laughable and painful. I hope we never see anything like that happen.

Love the new promo pics. And they are promo pics, so I wouldn’t bother nitpicking over Ygritte’s hair (in a HOOD, geez) and her being clean. (As people have pointed out, the wildlings don’t live in a desert- if there’s one thing they have, it’s water.)

106. andrea
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,
    About The Sopranos, this is what I found: “(2005) The Sopranos, will be broadcast by A&E in the US during the last quarter of 2006. The price per episode, an agreement of 78 chapters, is the highest achieved by a syndicated series”. Here, in Leo Messi´s motherland, I think it was broadcast last year (also A&E).
    I don´t think it has been censored here, though.

107. Louisa
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Lovely images! Rose/Ygritte is very pretty.

Margaery’s costume is very silly!

And Doreah in Qarth — I take it they’re not going to kill off her character then?

108. Arthur
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

In other GoTs news…

It is still losing and needs your votes!!!

109. Mimsy
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

DavosFTW!,
    Stannis would hang u if he knew u hung out with mediocre witches. :P

110. King Joffrey
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

userj: Wha?? Sam+Gilly is beautiful and adorable.Haters to the left.

Seriously? It’s hardly a pairing. It’s one awkward sex scene.

Lucky girl, though. From being forced upon by her father to the “fat pink mast”…

111. sjwenings
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Arthur: In other GoTs news…

It is still losing and needs your votes!!!

Voted. Need a few more to take the lead, though.

112. Harald Natvik
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

andrea,

In my opinion, Yrgitte should:

a) have fiery red hair
    b) look wild
    c) look fit and strong

Haven’t seen anything but this picuture of this actor, but to me she looks too “cute” and what’s up with the make up…

She’s supposed to be a cold, dirty and wild wildling…

113. andrea
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Harald Natvik,

there is no photo or video (yet) that shows that she is not like you want her to be (I expect the same btw). This pretty picture is just a promo picture where she should be clean and cute (I guess). When I say “perfect” I mean I think she is quite similar to book-Ygritte´s description (if I remember correctly). I’m not saying RL is perfect because she has no defects.
    Regarding the dirty-gate I think the same as “tysnow”. Not easy to get dirty in the snow. I know.
    Is she not only touched by fire? “Fiery” could be different things to different people, for me is more like ¿”orange”? I don´t know!!!

114. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Harald Natvik:
    andrea,

In my opinion, Yrgitte should:

a) have fiery red hair
    b) look wild
    c) look fit and strong

She’s supposed to be a cold, dirty and wild wildling…

Lol again with the wildlings are dirty mantra…and wild wildling? what does that even mean??

One thing for sure though, she is the opposite of cold!! the total opposite!! Jon was waaaay colder with her..</b She is as passionate as one can be…

Morgan

Well thats a very interesting debate…so do you think cable TV will dissapear before GoT is seen through?? Whatt will happen with HBO, will become an online service/provider/thinguie?? That has been always a fear of mine, if cable tv goes to hell what will happen with HBO and his shows…

Syndication will still matter though, because the show will be syndicated to local networks that won't disappear.

115. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

King Joffrey,

She is lucky with the second one actually. Sam loves Gilly totally and treats her with respect, which makes their relationship one of the most healthy affairs in the whole series. And hey, have you ever seen a ship’s mast? They’re pretty big. :P

116. userj
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

King Joffrey: Seriously? It’s hardly a pairing. It’s one awkward sex scene.

Yes, seriously. And Sam and Gilly’s romance is a really long one – it’s developed for a long time from aCoK through aFfC.

Gilly brings out Sam’s protective instinct. Because of her, he becomes braver than he’s ever been before . He doesn’t hesistate for a second to put his life at risk, multiple times, to help her. In aCoK he risks the wrath of the LC (who he’s petrified of) by suggesting that they help her – he even stands up to Jon about it. Later, he takes her with him, gives her all his food while they travel, and he attacks the wight that was Small Paul for her. In my opinion, Sam’s supposed “cowardice” is mostly internalized self-hatred since he’s been abused his whole life, but it’s Gilly that finally makes Sam start to believe that he might really be brave.

Meanwhile, Gilly sees that Sam is a good man, and a brave man, and worthy of love. She is not “stuck” with Sam, she chooses Sam. I love Sam. Their relationship is incredibly sweet, and shockingly healthy given what we usually have in aSoIaF.

117. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Louisa:
    Lovely images! Rose/Ygritte is very pretty.

Margaery’s costume is very silly!

118. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I think someone has to be incredibly naive about the nature of the television industry -whether its network television or HBO-to think that the producers can simply call up every detail from the books and produce them verbatim on screen. Adaptation does not work that way, as you are translating from one medium to another, what works on paper may not in a narrative sense work on screen. Not to mention that television is a business and to keep it a profitable business you have to get subscribers/audience and you have to give them what you want. D & D have done that so far.
    Given the strength of the source material it’s almost foolish to think that GoT would not have caught on especially after the mainstream fame it is gradually obtaining. The producers realise that having the ASOIAF crowd is important and despite the changes made to adapt the epic to television they know that some purists may be turned off by their decisions but they also know that with extreme deviations they may lose some of those fans. A regrettable casualty but with a wider base they can swallow that loss. Easily.
    Decisions that stem from financial, social (making Sallahdor Saan a dark skinned man) or the casting side of thing; sometimes the ideal actor or the ideal looking actor does not equal the depiction of the character in the book, the limitations of adaptation especially to television prohibit big name casting and as such the casting is controversial. They are fully aware that some of the actors are “Hollywood ugly” because real ugly doesn’t get ratings. A shallow sentiment but that’s the nature of the industry and while we could blame the producers for not going against the grain and trying to get the rendition of the characters many of us have visualized over the past fifteen years or more, they are simply staying in check with the motion of the grinding gears of the television industry.
    They understand that for a fantasy series on cable television long since the days of paragons of adult drama like the Sopranos, the Wire, Six Feet Under etc now in the True Blood/Dexter era of cable television, certain demographics are necessary to acquire viewer-ship. This is fairly obvious of course but I will state again “Hollywood Ugly” is the norm. Why should GoT be any different, especially if it wants to continue? Pretty boys and pretty girls get asses in seats. At the other end of the spectrum I think a lot of whining I read either at WicNet, IMDB, Westeros and Facebook is that some viewers, not all, are not used to the HBO style of casting, because True Blood aside, HBO is an actor’s network, not the next big name. Sure Gerard Butler could have been Stannis, but why not Stephen Dillane? The fact that they want to get great talent and that such great talent want to work on this series is far greater coup than giving us a curvy, saucy and buxom Melisandre. As much as I love GRRM’s world, the minutiae in the novels would probably come across as camp on film.
    So why mourn the loss of acute details when the basic story is well preserved (thus far anyway) and there are incredible actors and talent working on this show? Unless there comes some billionaire fanboy with money to blow to finance the ultimate, true visual twin to the novels (but probably with weaker casting) people are fools to think that every detail of the books are going to be perfectly brought to life. As far as I am concerned you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. Better to enjoy what is being preserved as to what is being lost, and for me personally it’s a good compromise. Now if the formal structure of the show, that is the acting, the production design or the writing or the cinematography, editing etc are less than be desired or are simply incredible that the show should be judged on those deficiencies/merits.

I write this not to attack Purists but to give them something to think about so they may separate the books from the television series as two separate entities and provide the possible means that they may enjoy the series on its own. If they don’t, they don’t but I hope they do.

Peace.

119. franny_bee
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I never pictured Ygritte wearing that much makeup. Or that clean! Next to Osha, she looks like a covergirl.

I like the actress a lot though. Can’t wait to see the dynamic bw Jon & Ygritte on screen.

120. Oi!
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

She probably just has a more pale lips and the greyish filter that they use on the show to make it more gritty made her look weird so they had to exaggerate with the red on her lips.

121. Fire And Blood
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor is brilliant. I can only pray he supports my indigo crusade with as much intelligence.

122. Ollie
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

She looks a lot prettier then the way she was described in the books. Great casting!

123. purplejilly
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

Great piece! this is so true. There’s a lot of GRRM’s world that I don’t like, and I applaud some of the changes so far, and I am looking forward to more changes in the future. Plus, it’s nice ot have some surprises!

124. Obsidian
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

I always thought they went a bit too far with Osha’s look in season 1. Combs were invented very early in our history..;)

125. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

That depends. What pray tell is the Indigo Crusade? Does it involve ‘smiting’?

126. HF
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Rose Leslie will be a hit as Ygritte. I can just feel it!

All the pictures make me excited for April 1rst. That said, everytime I check the new pics, I keep going back to the Gendry one from a while ago. He looks so damn adorable. Hope he gets some shirtless scenes in Season 2. ; )

127. Dornish Girl
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Long time lurker. What, you may ask, has brought me out of hiding? I absolutely had to post that Nancy DeWolf Smith of the Wall Street Journal has changed her tune about GOT! She gave season 2 a 90! This is a testamant to the quality of the production and the source material. I think we should all praise Nancy for giving the show a chance.

PS-If I obsessively look at screenshots but don’t watch trailers, am I in violation of my Brotherhood Without Previews vows? I’d hate to be beheaded before April 1!

128. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Dornish Girl,

can u plz provide us with links for Nancy’s original post, and her review for season 2? I’d like to read and compare the 2 reviews myself

129. Shadowcat85
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Joshua Taylor,

Don’t give in Josh! And great summary btw!

130. Magnus
    Posted March 25, 2012 at 7:03 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer,

Not exactly, but your point works. Mago did not follow Dany. He started his own khalasar and raped and killed one of the slave girls Dany had protected from him. Dany swore that he would pay some day.

I think they will kill off Gabel’s character (Rakharo) since he had to leave the show. This is probably why you see Irri crying in the trailers.

131. Louisa
    Posted March 25, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer: I can’t see them doing it, not after investing time with her in series 1. The minor Dothraki characters have already been altered, the guy Khalo Drogo ripped apart is still with Danny in ADWD.

I haven’t read the book in a while so my memory is a bit rusty. Who is this guy you’re referring too? The tongueless one?

132. Michael Harper
    Posted March 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Anybody got HBO On Demand? Because there are two featurettes today: Locations, and New Characters. Hopefully someone will get them online soon!

133. loco73
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Great pics. I cannot wait until the new season arives!

134. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:43 am | Permalink

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

1. [...] Lightbox 1, TBL 2, TBL 3, Amazon, Peter Orullian 1, P Orullian 2David Benioff i D.B. Weiss: IGN, HBO, LA Times, [...]