LA Times interviews Michele Clapton and provides some cool new photos
By Winter Is Coming on in Media, Press.

Littlefinger and Cersei

The Los Angeles Times Showtracker blog has published an interview with Game of Thrones costume designer Michele Clapton and also provided some great new photos from season two. Here is a snippet from the interview:

How do the clothes change in Season 2?

In the second season, as society is changing in King’s Landing and as the war is coming, everything just tends to get a little bit more extreme. People dress up more, people armor more — it’s that false security. I think we’ve all developed quite a lot and I think it looks a lot better — I’m much more pleased with it this season, in all ways.

I loved dressing the Greyjoys [in Season 2]. Those costumes were so organic and so crunchy. We wanted them to look like the rocks on the island — they have no ambition for anything, everything is completely practical.

I loved doing Stannis (Stephen Dillane) and Melisandre (Carice van Houten) as well; that was quite a magical combination, again looking at their characteristics, what they had and where they were.

As I mentioned, the article is accompanied with some new photos from season two including the Littlefinger/Cersei shot above, some great looks at Dany’s Qartheen gowns, and a glimpse of Cersei’s much-buzzed-about Valkyrie-style armor.

Speaking of new images, there have also been a few new ones that popped up on HBO.com in recent days. Check out our Publicity Photos gallery to see all the season two stills released by HBO, so far.

Winter Is Coming: The costumes look great! Although I have to admit, I did chuckle at Cersei’s armor. What exactly is she hoping to protect herself from with that?

1. Virtus
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Is Dany on a ship in picture 7?

2. andrea
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Cersei´s armor is silly but that thing in Dany´s neck is also ugly. However I can not believe it’s an armor. Dothraki fashion I guess.
    WomenArmorGate.

3. NytestrykerZ
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Virtus,

That’s from the first episode of the first season.

4. Winterdark
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I think it’s funny their calling Cersei’s armour a Valkyrie style armour because in ancient Viking lore Valkyries are never depicted nor described as wearing armour but rather wearing long gowns. It was only much, much later people started depicting them wearing armour. I think if someone depicted them wearing armour he would’ve been first laughed at and then beheaded. They didn’t really get the whole equal rights back in those days.

5. Mike Chair
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Maisie Williams is so cute they casted her instead of any of the Chipmunks — all three of whom auditioned for Arya, I’m told. But they chose Maisie. Because she’s cuter. Maisie Williams is cuter than all three Chipmunks!

6. Kanga
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

I must admit, I laughed when I saw Cersei’s armor. I’m hoping that’s not the complete outfit. With all due respect to the costume designer, all that looks like to me is the usual useless girl armour women always end up wearing in tv shows and movies. Perhaps give the ladies something actually functional, for once? Just a thought.

7. Virtus
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Winterdark,

I guess it’s Valkyrie in the style of Wagner.

8. Winterdark
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Kanga,

You’re not alone in your opinion:

9. Wolfheart
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Claptons designs we’ve seen thus far for Margaery Tyrell are awful. Her tourney outfit with those 1980′s shoulder accessories over her cleavage revealing torso piece that is cut and makes her torso fatter than it is. To her badly exaggerated extended over the shoulder period corset dress?
    And Sansa’s dresses in Kings Landing still look odd on her. Those kimono inspired dresses look lazy and poor looking. It looks like Clapton put more effort into Cersei’s kimono inspired cuts than Sansa’s.

She seems to have the most issue with womens clothing.

10. JackSparrow
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Kanga:

Brienne has functional armor, so they’ve got it the once. I think Cersei’s armor is ceremonial.

11. Kanga
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Winterdark,

Haha, so true! Thanks for that :)

12. Joe92
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Anyone else spot one-legged littlefinger? :)

13. Kanga
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

JackSparrow,

Good point! Ceremonial or not I think it looks a bit silly, but it’s not a big deal. They’ve got real armour where it matters.
    (sorry for the double post!)

14. A_S00
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Although I usually object to Aribeth-style cleavage armor, I think this is actually a case where it works. I imagine it’s going to be used for the scene where Cersei leads all the highborn ladies in their vigil during Blackwater. If I remember right, she was trying to spin that to the guests as “we may be women, not used to the ways of war, but we can do our part for the war effort by remaining calm and praying for our men.” So, her outfit should be simultaneously warlike (“we’re doing this for the war effort”) and hyper-feminine (“but we’re women so we have to do it in our own way”). The cleavage armor qualifies.

That attitude, of course, has its own problems, but I don’t think Cersei’s attitude in that scene is being championed as anything to hold up as a gold standard for correctness.

15. Mike Chair
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Cersei is definitely feeling the Borg Queen in that armor.

“I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many. I am bitch.”

16. userj
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

I’m blown away by Cersei’s gowns this season. Omfg, I want them ALL. And I almost never wear dresses anyway!! Ajhghstgdgf

17. Lady Stoneheart
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

userj:
    I’m blown away by Cersei’s gowns this season.Omfg, I want them ALL.And I almost never wear dresses anyway!!Ajhghstgdgf

I was thinking the same thing! Also, some of Dany’s gowns are pretty beautiful too!

18. JamesL
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Variety has posted a very positive review of season 2 http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117947298?refCatId=32

19. Ax0r
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

As has been said above, I believe Cersei’s armour is supposed to be ceremonial.She wears it to look tough and warlike for the other ladies of the court. Cersei has no intention of actually fighting, and would not be allowed near the fighting if she wanted to be. She’d be unlikely to be able to defend herself physically against any attacker, as she was not trained in martial abilities (much to her chagrin).
    Purely ceremonial.

Dany’s armour, on the other hand, is just weird. I can’t think of a situation where she’d wear any metal armour at all, and certainly not armour that paints a big bullseye right over her heart.
    The collar piece (I hesitate to call it a gorget) makes me think of slave collars, and I wonder if it has some connection to that aspect of her character and arc. The slave issue doesn’t really come up in the books much until aSoS, but they foreshadowed it quite early last season, so we may see it play a bigger role.

20. Restore The Day
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Off Topic: is there a place with all the Allegiance wallpapers (house sigils) thx

21. Obsidian
    Posted March 26, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

No,no,no, to Cersei’s armour and Dany’s. Pretty silly.

When I heard of the idea of using a specific palette for each different location last year , I thought it was a cool idea … but I didn’t imagine all of those palettes would turn out be so insipid in the use of colour , so I’m glad a bit more colour is creeping in this year…Did no one in those locations have new clothes with nice bright un-washed-out dyes ? It’s a minor quibble , but I did find it relatively annoying last year. I was not enthralled with the Dothraki look either.

Overall, I was pretty universally unhappy with the female costumes last year ; partly because of the bland colours , partly because of the lack of ornamentation. This year, from what glimpses we’ve had , I’m greatly dissappointed in Margaery’s ridiculous gowns, like Cersei’s better ( except the armour ). Really, I think Clapton does far better with male costumes.

None of this amounts to enough to put me off the show, but it does take the shine off a bit for me.

22. Superdeluxe
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Have you guys heard he firewall and iceberg podcast?

they describe lots of changes from the book.

23. negar
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Cersie’s armor was pretty stupid.I hope It’ll look better when we see the whole thing.

24. Virve H
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 2:12 am | Permalink

userj,

I totally agree! Those dresses took my breath away.

25. Pepi
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 2:53 am | Permalink

I’m not sure I understand the fuss about Cersei’s armour being useless. It’s a ceremonial piece. I think it’s something she wears to let the others know, that she knows, there’s a battle going on. Nothing more.

26. Chris77
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:31 am | Permalink

Wow seeing all those dresses on Cersei and Dany makes me wonder if D & D bought the Merchandising rights and now will pull a George Lucas on us with many, many different action figures and dolls…

27. Anton Ivanov
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Cercei’s clothes are not a patch on anything worn by the Evil Queen in “Once Upon a Time” – in fact, it would be interesting to see how she fares in Westeros heh.

*Heart crunch*

28. ASOIAF Fan
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:34 am | Permalink

As of last week :
    568,777 DVD sold for roughly 20 Millions

As of 2 weeks ago :
    679,557 Blu Ray sold for 30 Millions

Are those number cumulatives ?
    If so, GoT is doing more than fine, getting more in revenue than films selling more units (except Puss in Boots).

29. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Cersei’s armour isn’t for fighting in (for which it would be utterly useless), it’s purely decorative. It’s the equivalent of a camo-print shiny little dress (these do exist, I have seen them), military inspired fashion. They are at war so she wears something that fits the times, without any intention of doing any fighting herself. While many of us would love to see Cersei on the front lines (because she wouldn’t last ten seconds) she’s not quite that daft.

Until we know the context of Dany’s armour I can’t comment, it may well also be a fashion statement.

Margaery’s dresses are ridiculous- presumably deliberate OTT dressing up for the tournament? But Renly looks great.

I wish we’d seen Yara’s costume as thus far we haven’t had a good look at it. What little we have seen is very different to what I imagined but I will reserve judgement until she’s been in an episode or two.

30. Dee
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Obviously, costuming is not this show’s strong point. But what it lacks in fashion design it certainly more than makes up for in majestic and authentic looking locations. In the end, there’s only so much money to go around, I guess.

31. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 7:49 am | Permalink

I don’t understand why people have problems with Cersei’s armor. Is it because they expect a ceremonial armor, for a fashionable woman that will never ever fight, to be practical? If anything that thought is sillier than the outfit.

It’s very clearly just a symbolic piece, also made to make her look good, just as it should be. To put Cersei in real, functional armor would be the real joke.

32. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Its interesting that none of the season 2 reviews out so far commented on the opening theme.. I was expecting it to be even more epic in season 2…

33. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:00 am | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

I expect the opening theme to be exactly the same, apart from there being new locations of course. That’s also what I prefer since the same credits makes for a goodcoherence to the show in it’s entirety.

34. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Elio from http://www.westeros.org reviewed first four episodes. great review…..he pointed out some problems he found and which might affect the future…..he confirms that this season is more grand in terms of visuals and music(again by ramin djawedi)…..great review, but don’t read if you don’t want to get spoiled(though bit only) for the premier…. http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Features/Entry/6208/

35. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:15 am | Permalink

userj,

based on a conversation we had earlier regarding Dany’s heir:

36. Jenish Kachhadia
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:20 am | Permalink

ASOIAF Fan,

i think the-numbers.com is not at all accurate….not even near enough….last week they posted around 500,000 units DVD sold for about $17,000,000 and now they corrected the sales of first week to 389,107 for $13,225,747 and total 2 weeks sell to $20,000,000—–WTF.

37. Lina
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

I guess I’m in the minority when I say I like Cersei’s armor. It fits perfectly for her character. Cersei is obsessed with showing she has power, and the armor is a representation of that. However, she’s also quite vain, so she’s not going to wear anything that makes her look bulky or masculine. Wearing that non-functional, ceremonial piece of armor shows her arrogance. It makes the same “feminist-statement-gone-wrong” that nearly all other aspects of her personality make. She lusts after power, but she doesn’t really want to dirty her hands in the actual earning or protecting of it.

I’m most excited for Dany’s costumes. The two blue gowns are just breathtakingly gorgeous. With this one, I don’t think she’s wearing what should be called armor. I think that’s more of just an elaborate embellishment that would be in fashion in Qarth, which is a city that glorifies luxury and excess. With this costume, however, I think her armor essentially serves the same purpose as Cersei’s. It’s ceremonial, and it’s worn to show that she’s a leader to both her rag-tag Dothraki group, whose faith has been fading, and to the Qartheen, who view her as a pawn in their plays for riches. The difference with Dany, however, is that, unlike Cersei, her hold on power extends beyond herself: She genuinely cares for the people she leads. Dany also doesn’t need to prove anything with armor, because she has dragons.

Brienne’s armor looks fantastic, and I found what Michele was saying about crafting it to be really interesting. I guess I’d never thought about how a woman’s hips would fit into a man’s plate.

I’m also looking forward to see how Sansa expresses her shifts in thought through her clothes.

38. userj
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

HERP-DERP: So I just finished re-watching season 1 and I realized they never really showed us that Dany’s son is truly dead [even in the books, the scene was told from Dany's perspective..]. Ser Jorah says “the women say”.. implying that he had not seen the son either.. I am guessing that the son never died [Mirri Maaz Dur gave him away or something.. for whatever reason..] and it is more probable that he will be the heir than some random “adopted child”. Isn’t this the same as the “Syrio is still alive because we never see him die on screen” argument?

I’ve heard this theory before, but I don’t buy it (for the record, I also think Syrio is dead).

In the books it’s made a bit more clear that more than one person saw that Dany’s baby was a stillborn monster – it wasn’t just Mirri who helped her give birth. Could there have been a swap? It’s technically possible, but what reason would those other women have to lie? Mirri I could understand, but why them?

There’s also the fact that Mirri claims Drogo’s revival (such as it was) was paid for with Rhaego’s life (“you knew the price”). I really don’t believe that the horse was enough to revive Drogo, and neither does Dany.

Then there’s the fact that a reintroduction of Rhaego would be rather annoying and deus ex-y. It seems much more likely to me that Dany will regain her ability to have more children than that we’ll have a reappearance of Rhaego. Plus, he’s not going to have enough time to become the stallion that mounts the world before the end of the series – he’ll still be a baby! I also think Rhaego’s death is important because it shows that prophecy in asoiaf is not immutable. Extreme actions can lead to a failure of prophecy to come to fruition.

Finally, I’m still not seeing why this is such a huge issue given there is historical precedence for long-reigning queens without issue passing the throne to a named and groomed heir (in Dany’s case, she could name a distant relative such as Shireen, Edric Storm, or even Tommen or Myrcella).

ETA: in the book, Dany has a very vivid (and obviously prophetic) dream while she is unconscious after the birth that includes imagery of Rhaego’s death. She lets go of him, realizing that his is a future that will never be. This may be the most convincing piece of evidence for me.

ETA2: Why on earth would Mirri want to save Rhaego anyway? I think she is perfectly sincere when she says she is glad he is dead because his Khalasaar will not destroy villages such as hers in the future. Her saving Rhaego’s life would take away from this position a lot.

39. Chris
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I’m not a big wardrobe fan but… wow!
    It looks like Daenerys does the best in terms of great outfits and great variety. Unlike virtually everyone else, her outfits do NOT look dingey or drab. Gorgeous.
    Speaking of drab, I thought Melissandre was the “RED” priestess. Looks more brownish maroon to me. Too bad. Also thought she’d be more attractive. Ah well.
    Tyrion back in armor. Yeah!
    Brienne… what a man!
    I agree that Margary’s gowns seem ridiculous but that may be exactly the point. Remember Audrey Hepburn at the racetrack in “My Fair Lady” or Katherine Hellmond with a shoe on her head in “Brazil?” Looks like the Tyrells go for wild fashion and common-sense clothes be damned. Maybe Loras designed her outfits!
    I’m so relieved to see Cersei’s armor isn’t some ridiculous anachronism like we saw in “Elizabeth” or “Robin Hood.” She’s the queen for crying out loud! Any woman who dressed up in real, functional, combat armor would be a total joke. Like…. well… Brienne! Remember how much everyone loves and respects her?

40. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Winterdark:

In Viking society they go “whole equal rights” thing much better than you think. For example, Saxo Grammaticus, a Christian priest, was aghast at the relative freedom and societal power of the Viking women. Women were respected in Norse society and had great freedom, especially when compared to other European societies of that era. They managed the finances of the family. They ran the farm in their husband’s absence. In widowhood, they could be rich and important landowners. The law protected women from a wide range of unwanted attention etc etc..

As for the statement that Valkyries only wore gowns, here is a depiction from one of the Eddas.

Þá brá lióma af Logafiöllom
    enn af þeim liómom leiptrir qvómo;
    hávar und hiálmom á Himinvanga
    Brynior vóro þeira blóði stocnar.
    Enn af geirom geislar stóðo.
    Helgakviða Hundingsbana I

[Then burst forth light at Logafell
    and from those lights flashes leaped forth.
    [The maidens rode] sublime under helmets on Heaven’s Plain;
    their byrnies were spattered with blood
    and beams stood forth from their spear-points.]

byrnie bur-nee

A long (usually sleeveless) tunic of chain mail formerly worn as defensive armour
    – hauberk

So Chain mail splattered with blood, Helmets and Spears.

PS: I just remembered a story that they explained to us in an museum in Iceland to illustrate the relative freedom of the woman of the time: It was very common that when the men came back from their expeditions, that were quite long in duration, they found that they had more children that when they left. Instead of being angry etc they treated the new children as their own, and they were happy they had more progeny :-D

Viking women were no warriors though, but neither are Cersei or Danny, so their costumes are clearly ceremonial.

41. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

cool in terview, and beautiful photos