A pair of rare interviews: Gleeson and Glen
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

By now we’ve heard from Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington so many times that we can probably answer the questions better than they can. It is refreshing to hear from some different cast members, so I think these pair of interviews are worth highlighting, one with Jack Gleeson and one with Iain Glen.

Entertainment Weekly had a chance to catch up with Jack Gleeson on the set of Thrones and talk to him about playing one of the most hated characters on TV.

“With his coronation, his malicious deeds amplify tenfold,” Gleeson promises. “He thinks everyone should say yes to him ’cause he has the right to be where he is, so he doesn’t take no for an answer. There are scenes where I just do malicious things for no reason.”

While Westeros.org had the opportunity to interview Iain Glen during the recent Thrones press junket in London.

Q: Did you have any big scenes with the CGI dragons this series?

“There are. They feature, they’re ever-present. So they don’t overpower the story, the writers have been very choice about when they’re featured. Sometimes you’ll see them being put in their cage at the top of a scene so that you can continue on clean of them. Because it takes a lot of work to set up the CGI within the scenes and stuff. Again, the series is very good at whether it’s the wolves or the dragons, they do them very, very well.”

Winter Is Coming: Good to hear from these two! Both are giving great performances, and yet both are a bit unheralded by the majority of the media.

1. McKee
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I have the (admittedly uninformed) impression that actors who excel at portraying villiany are lovely people to know and work with, and conversely, those that play protagonists are more often self-centered and difficult.

In the vein of unsung actors that I’d love to see interviewed:

Conleth Hill

On the subject of “FIRSTed!!!!111!1!”:

I realize that it can seem purposeless (to some) to declare first, but I do it anyway, and here’s why:

I want you all to know that I have been obsessively hitting refresh for hours beyond count. I want bragging rights, not for being first, but for refreshing most often, and being therefore Wiknet’s freshest vavasour.

2. Jonho
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I fucking love Jack, he’s phenomenal. Doesn’t get praised enough tbh.

3. Arthur
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Where is Ghost? I sooo want to get a peek of him. Since there is only 5 days left I guess they are saving Ghost’s first appearce for the actual show. I can’t wait to see his red eyes glowing…

4. Lars
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Someone mentioned that we get a good look at the “new” Ghost in episode 2.

5. Arthur
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Lars,

Awesome! I can’t wait! Ghost is so cool, he is my favorite fantasy element in the series. I can’t wait to see him prowl around.

6. Arthur
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Did this whole website get an upgrade?

Everything suddenly looks better since I refreshed the site…

7. SillyMammo
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Loved that the interviewer slipped in a question about Downton Abbey in on Iain Glen.

Gleeson should be worried that he’s doing such a excellent job playing the a$$hole that he’s going to be typecast from now on. :0)

8. sjwenings
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Great actors, and it’s a treat to get to hear from them. Wish the Jack Gleeson interview was longer, though… He’s one of the actors I look forward to see in season 2 the most.

9. JRQ
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Jack Gleeson’s Joffrey is one of the most uncannily creepy performances I’ve seen on TV in a long time. He definitely deserves more accolades.

10. Eleanor
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

The Firewall Iceberg podcast featuring discussion of S2 is up here

Not sure it’s been linked to yet. Unsurprisingly, they like it! Interesting snippet about Margaery Tyrell.

11. Jaime Lannister
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

How old is our boy Jack again? 19?

12. John W
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

EW is really pulling out all the stops on their GoT coverage.

13. Matt Chung
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Jaime Lannister,

Sixteen, I believe. Don’t quote me on that though, details about him are scarce.

14. Reverse Nielsen
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

MTV’s website released an article on all the “new blood” in Season 2. Not much in the way of news but I figured I’d share: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1681827/game-of-thrones-new-characters.jhtml.

15. James
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Matt Chung,

No, he’s 19/20. He’s studying at Trinity College Dublin, and was originally cast at 17.

16. Elaine
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

JRQ:
    Jack Gleeson’s Joffrey is one of the most uncannily creepy performances I’ve seen on TV in a long time.He definitely deserves more accolades.

I agree completely. IMO, there’s no better performance on the show, and only one or two as good (Maisie and…can’t think of anyone else as good…)

17. Reverse Nielsen
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Elaine,

You’re only talking about the young actors, right? Because I don’t think it’s fair to discard Mark Addy or Michelle Fairley.

18. Udi
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Reverse Nielsen,

Or Sean Bean, or Peter Dinklage, or Charles Dance or… the list goes on and on…
    Fact is, pretty much the entire cast of thrones is amazing. Hell, I couldn’t stand Roz but have to admit even she was excellently portrayed by the actress! But yeah, Jack Gleeson and Iain Glen definitely deserve more attention for their great work.

19. JamesL
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Heres the first somewhat negative review for season 2- http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-27/baby-dragons-in-thrones-48-foot-boa-pip-dark-killing-tv
    It’s one of those fantasy is silly ones.

20. Knurk
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

JamesL:
    It’s one of those fantasy is silly ones.

I love it how he says ‘the rest of us.’ Lol.

21. seb
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

cant win over everyone, and at this point i dont think a few bad reviews even matter anymore

22. userj
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

IAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN *dies*

23. JamesL
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

“And a few episodes later, we find out what the young king might be like in the bedroom.”
    I knew they were going to add some stupid Joffrey sex scene.

24. Jaime Lannister
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

I think we’ve had a glimpse of this already; he brutalizes Ros for some reason. Probably because she laughed at his size.

25. Mike Chair
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Arthur: Where is Ghost?

I came home the other night and my neighbor had a pair of new dogs in her backyard. It turns out they’re her boyfriend, Dave’s, and they’re huskies. One is pure white. I immediately fell in love with this dog — a puppy — about a year old. Quiet. Doesn’t make a peep. I asked Dave what their names were. The white one is a male. His name is Winter. Winter know’s he’s special. I haven’t had the opportunity to explore the whole GoT thing with Dave, but I plan to. I wonder if Dave’s a fan. I also plan to take a picture of Winter and link to it here for all to admire.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don’t know. I thought Ghost was at my neighbor’s house. But, as it turns out, it was only Winter, the silent Siberian Husky. Nonetheless, I feel a bit safer knowing Winter is on the Night’s Watch next door.

26. Arthur
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Hey Mike Chair,

That is awesome! I have a Giant Alaskan Malamute. His name is Vidar (named after the norse god of nature, silence and justice). He is still young, not even two yet. He reminds me so much of a Direwolf and his personality matches the House Stark sigil. I guess that is why how the CGI Direwolves end up looking means so much to me personally.

He is almost 2yrs old now and about 140lbs.

Here is the latest video I posted on youtube of him if you are interested. He looks more like how you’d might imagine Shaggydog…

27. Mike Chair
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

He’s HUGE! I watched some of your other videos. He’s beautiful. I also think that giving a Giant Alaskan Malamute a whole rotisserie chicken for his first birthday is pure genius.

28. Arthur
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair,

Hah, thanks!

Yeah he loved that chicken!

Happy posting. =)

29. Knurk
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

lol, my dog does this wardance all the time. Do you know why they do that?

30. Maxwell James
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Knurk,
    JamesL,

That’s OK. Tim Goodman just posted his as well, and it’s glowing:

31. Arthur
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Yeah, it is a territorial display and marking.

They claw the ground leaving a mark near the spot they just marked with their urine.

They also have scent glands under their paw pads that is left behind.

It is kind of the same as when a bear claws a tree… Another dog can come by, smell who was there and see how big and powerful of a marking was left.

32. Matt Chung
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 4:04 am | Permalink

James,

WHAT oh my god… oops.

33. freyar_88
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 4:58 am | Permalink

I am so impressed with Jack Gleeson, he really is an outstanding little actor.

34. Lord Willum
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Just found a new (I’m 99% sure!) interview with Liam Cunningham:

35. Michelle Yvette Peeples
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Lord Willum,

Thanks for posting this. I just love Liam Cunningham and think he’s going to make an excellent Davos. I get such a kick out of how he refers to Melisandre as that awful woman. I think he, Stephen Dillane and Carice Van Houten are going to emerge as fan favorites.

Michelle Peeples @ZedShowgirl

36. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

great interviews!

slightly OT:
    http://www.hulu.com/bestinshow last day to vote, people!

and the MTV article leaves Margaery Tyrell out! heresy!

37. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Jonho:
    I fucking love Jack, he’s phenomenal. Doesn’t get praised enough tbh.

He is a very, very good actor…even if he is playing a bratty boy-king. Jack Gleeson plays the role of Joffrey so well you want to hate HIM…until you get to hear from him and see he is such a wonderful person.