TV Guide covers Game of Thrones
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

Game of Thrones TV Guide CoverTV Guide Magazine has placed Game of Thrones on the cover of this week’s issue. As a part of their Thrones coverage, they’ve published an online article that is part set report and part fun interview with Kit Harington, Peter Dinklage, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. A heads up though, the interview does contain a bit of a spoiler for Jon’s storyline in A Storm of Swords. Here is a spoiler-free snippet:

TV Guide Magazine: What is at your characters’ cores? What makes them tick?
Nikolaj: Jaime shows no fear. He knows that he’s hated by many people, but he’s not going to give them the satisfaction of not being that way. He’s not going to apologize.
Peter: Tyrion’s similar to Jaime: unapologetic. I am what I am. I’m going to make the joke before you get a chance to. I’m going to beat you at your own game.
Kit: Jon’s very strong on standing up for people who he thinks are being mistreated. He’s like his dad. He’s noble.

Speaking of interviews, GQ has just published one with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. No spoilers, but there is one particularly graphic and painful-sounding story from Nikolaj. Read at your own risk… especially if you’re a guy.

Winter Is Coming: Can you believe Thrones has landed on, not one, but two prominent magazine covers this year? We thought the buzz for last season was big, this year it is off the charts.

1. Brett
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

With Jaime, I’d say it’s more that he can intimidate anyone who would mock him for being a King-slayer through his Lannister name and his formidable combat skills. After he loses his sword hand, that changes – and he can only rely on his name and wits to deal with enemies.

2. Unsullied
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Well based on what we know at the end of A Dance With Dragons, I’d say the one who’ll be king is NONE OF THE ABOVE.

The best ruler though out of the three is Tyrion. Not as noble as John, but damn smarter.

3. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

That’s what I love about the way David and Dan are reinterpreting this story. They are staying close enough to the books that all the major plot points and spirit of the characters are there. But, it’s not going to be a boring show to watch for those of us who have finished the books. They keep us wondering how the show is going to be re-imagined. You can’t help but be thankful for that.

On another note, holy SHIT, poor Nickolaj. :x My metaphorical penis is having sympathy pangs for him right now. That bit about the “presents” he got at the music festival cracked me up, though. He enjoyed his twenties, at least. :p I hope one of the theaters by me shows Headhunters, because it sounds like a good film.

Two really good reads. Everyone involved with this show seem like interesting people with good senses of humor, I love it.

4. dizzy_34
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I think the only thing left to discuss at this point is: season 3 (and 4) annoucement Monday or Tuesday?

5. Ramah
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I’m intrigued by the mention of Jaime in episode 7.

6. Kalasin
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Katie: So, they’re pushing up the Jon/Ygritte storyline to this season completely, then? I wonder how they’re going to be restructuring that part of the story this season? From the coverage we’ve seen, it’s pretty strongly indicated that Jon is with the wildlings a bit before the end of this year. Are they not ending Season 2′s plot with Jon killing Q’horin? Or is he going to be captured by the wildlings for a bit before he has to kill the Halfhand? Will fooling Mance not be the catalyst for Jon and Ygritte getting together? (I’ll honestly be disappointed if the “two hearts that beat as one” line goes to Rattleshirt, because he’s such a douche and it’s such a great line for Mance.) Is it Sunday yet, Jesus.

What footage are you talking about? I haven’t gotten that impression at all. In fact, from what I’ve seen and heard, it seems like Jon’s storyline will be downplayed this year, in favor of more King’s Landing stuff. I really don’t think we’re going to see much of him with the wildlings. I think Kit was teasing the beginning of the relationship and as it moves into ASOS. Between Kings Landing and Robb, I don’t see there being much time for Jon anyway. We already know he’s not in all the episodes – I don’t think he’s going to get more than a few scenes a show, and that’s just going to fit the book 2 stuff. I always saw book three as more his anyway (whereas 2 is more Tyrion’s). Regardless, maybe I’m wrong! We’ll know soon enough.

On another note, I LOVED this interview. They are all so adorable.

7. Mystery Donut
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I went through the same procedure as Nikolaj. Dude, not fun! That little camera was a bit bigger than a Bic pen, to give you some perspective.

8. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

I may be completely full of shit, of course. Wouldn’t be the first time. ;)

9. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Mystery Donut,

Oh my God, you poor thing. I just want to throw cookies and a warm blanket at you right now, to be honest. :\

10. Superdeluxe
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

So when does Game of Thrones end up on Time?

11. Kalasin
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Katie: In some of the videos we’ve seen, Jon is clearly the only Night’s Watchmen walking with a group of wildlings. (This is shown clearly on the shot where a group is walking on a frozen lake.) In the latest trailer, we see him thrown to the ground, and then waking up next to someone wearing a wildling’s fur. (All of these screen shots are on WiC’s tumblr, if you want to see what I’m talking about.) From those images, I made the jump that he’s going to be with the wildlings for a bit. Also, David Benioff has been pretty gushy about the Iceland bit of this season, and about Jon’s role in the show in his interviews. That fact, plus the bits in the preview I mentioned, plus the comment about Kit popping his TV-sex cherry (crude, but I didn’t start that metaphor :p) when he gets to Iceland is how I concluded that the Jon/Ygritte story is being moved up a bit, and will not be an insignificant part of this season.

Hmm. Well I’ve seen those shots but nothing to convince me that it’s much more than the end of book 2, maybe with a bit more of him marching with the wildlings to their camp, but not so much as him integrating with them. Him being thrown to the ground could be either the first battle when he meets Ygritte or later around the battle with Quorin (or even at Crasters – we know he gets into some kind of scuffle there because there are shots of him tending to a bloody face). I’m not sure I saw “waking up” as much as you did, but if it is, it could be at Crasters or again around meeting Ygritte or Quorin. In fact, since they’re evening externals, I think it’s more likely they’re with Craster, because they’ve said they only shot daylight in Iceland (I think nights would have been too cold for exteriors anyway).

I personally feel like he’s being very downplayed this year (obviously he’s doing tons of press, but in footage we’ve seen next to nothing). On the other hand, I’ve seen SO much with Renly, Tyrion and Robb that show pretty involved storylines that will obviously take up a lot of their screentime. I can’t possibly see them having time in 10 episodes to ALSO spend so much time with Jon. And as I said, I think it’s been confirmed that he’s not in at least two episodes near the middle/end of the show anyway. They only had a month in Iceland and could shoot for only a couple of hours a day, all on location, to do the Fist AND Jon’s journey with Quorin. I think they probably barely got through the stuff in book 2. Plus, we know they’re doing a Robb love story this year. From a production standpoint, I think their best move, really, is to only tease the Jon love story this year, and really play it up and have it be more central in season 3. That way they get one in each.

Anyway, as I said, just my theories :)

12. Max
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

New SFX interview with Liam Cunningham- another great one from him:
    Davos is a renowned sailor and smuggler – did you spend a lot of the shoot on boats?

We did a bit of boat stuff, there’s an incredibly interesting boat scene, I guarantee you your jaw will be on the ground. Sometime around mid-season, myself and the dreaded Melisandre, this dreaded new character that’s coming in, we get up to some very strange stuff towards the middle of the season. I think it’s quite possibly one of the most dramatic endings to an episode of television that I’ve ever seen, you’re in for a real treat. Don’t watch it with your mother, I would suggest!

13. Plain_A
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I think the buzz got bigger since the end of season 1, wich makes me very optimistic for the season premiere ratings.

14. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

I actually wouldn’t mind if they saved the Jon/Ygritte relationship for Season 3 and 4. While spreading it over two seasons would really heighten the tension and get us to spend some time with them, stretching it over three seasons might be a bit too much. In terms of their involvement, I hope you’re right. One thing though, the “waking up” scene I’m referring too was a little more lit than the Craster’s keep scenes we’ve been seeing. Here’s the shot:

We’ll find out when the show airs, but I’m with Fury on this page. I think it’s a wildling fur.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Night’s Watch got about as much screen time as they did last year, maybe a bit more. They weren’t a huge part of the season, but they were definitely a presence.

There are something like 7 different stories running in season 2 (Renly, Robb, Stannis, Arya, Bran, Lannisters, and the Night’s Watch.) At approximately 55 minutes an episode, if every single plotline got an equal amount of exposure, you’d be looking at something like 8 minutes per plot per episode, or 80 minutes in the season total. We know that isn’t going to happen, because certain episodes will need to feature certain characters more, depending on the trajectory of the specific episode. Even if one of these plots gets 60 minutes of attention over 10 days, that’s still a fairly large amount of story that’s getting told through the course of the season.

Ultimately, you may be right in thinking that Beyond the Wall won’t get as much screen time as say, King’s Landing. That being said, I don’t think it’s going to be downplayed, per se. The material this year is a lot more meaty than last year. It should be an interesting ride.

15. Oduya
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Has anyone seen this? Think its legit? video review of season 2 episode 1, this guy has seen the episode and goes into detail.

16. Kalasin
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Katie,

We’ll see. I still think that shot could be almost anything, but I’m open to possiblities! All I know is I can’t wait!

17. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

As a medical student studying for his boards, I believe I am well-equipped with the knowledge to deal with this latest of the many puzzles that GRRM and the GoT cast have thrown at us. So, Nickolaj, being intentionally vague, says he came home from a music festival with 2 “presents”. What could these presents be? I’ll tell you. Chalmydia & Gonorrhea. If a person acquires 2 STDs from one intercourse, it is almost certainly these 2 diseases, in fact more than 80% of patients with chlamydia tend to have history of a gonorrhea infection. Why did he get a catheter? The doctors were fearing that the infection ascended his urethra all the way into his bladder, and were checking for evidence of cystitis, or inflammation of the bladder. Painful? VERY. He was subsequently treated with Ceftriaxone and Doxycycline.

My work here is done.

18. Virtus
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Oduya,

It’s legit.

19. chezmark14
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Well we see in the Seven Devils trailer that Jon is walking with a group of Wildings and in another…I think the Power/Grace one, we see Ygritte with Longclaw on her shoulder.

I think it’s safe to assume that Jon kills Qhorin and starts his journey with the Wildings this season.

My question is when will they stop Jons story in S2? Will it end with him meeting Mance? Will it end with us and him getting a glimpse of the whole Wilding army? Or just him joining them on their journey back?

I also don’t mind if they stretch the whole Jon/Ygritte thing out, makes for more of an impact when shit goes down. You could easily stretch his story over 2 seasons from SoS. Have him with the Wildings over one part, ending with him escaping and warning the Wall – then the Battle of the Wall could be the big battle in a 4th season (while the 3rd season might have the Red Wedding/Joff Wedding).

20. Mimsy
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

TMI.. TMI… you should have but spoilers on your post. lol Now when I think of Jaime, I’ll think of the CLAP as well. I need brain bleach.

I’m not going anywhere near that youtube spoiler. Shame on them if it’s legit! :(

21. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

chezmark14,

I don’t think we’ll meet Mance. They would have had to have kept that casting on lock down for the past 6 months for them to pull that off without us knowing. I am really intrigued with what they are going to do this season, because I naturally assumed that this storyline would conclude with Q’horin’s death. The footage is suggesting otherwise though, and I’m dying to see what happens.

22. Kalasin
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

I agree with Katie – it’s very unlikely that Mance was cast. I think it’s most likely that we get to Quorin and then see Jon marching away with the wildlings/Ygritte. The only caveat to that is that if that’s true than that shot of them on the lake means they’ve shown us the last Jon shot (or one of them), which I don’t know that they’d do. But maybe. It’s such an amazing shot they may just have wanted to use it.

23. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Kalasin: I still think there wasn’t enough time in Iceland to shoot much more than that. I think Ygritte will be the center of Jon’s story in season 3, and then the battle for the wall and maybe some book 5 stuff will be in season 4. Just my take on it.

That was always what I assumed was going to happen, too. It makes the most sense, in the long run.

Honestly, I just want to meet Tormund Giantsbane already. I love Mance and his court, can we move their storyline up? Better yet, let’s just get to season/book 3, m’kay thanks. :)

24. Kalasin
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Katie: Better yet, let’s just get to season/book 3, m’kay thanks. :)

Haha – I’m totally with you on that! Book 3 is just soooo good. I keep telling people I’m frustrated that we’re only on 2 because I want 3 to be here already! But even though I say that, I really don’t. That would mean it would be closer to over! I’ve actually been jealous of my friends who have been reading book 3 for the first time this month (somehow everyone I know is reading book 3 at once), because they’re getting to experience it new, which I don’t get to do anymore. I tell them “Savor it. You never get book 3 back.” So I want to see everything but I also want it to drag out. I’m so conflicted!

25. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

ASoS is one of my favorite books, full stop. The story goes absolutely bonkers from the beginning to the end, I love it. That is excellent advice you’re giving your friends. Especially since once they finish book 3, all they have to look forward to is AFFC. (Wah wah wah waaaaah. :P)

Btw, is Kalasin your actual name, or is it an allusion to another series?

26. ashley Manwoody
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

love that it says “who will be king?” yet of the 3 people there, none of them are trying to be king. lol

27. Kalasin
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Nope! Not my real name :) It’s a place in Thailand, but also a character in the Song of the Lioness Quartet. Not really trying to reference anything. I just like it.

28. Katie
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

I used to LOVE the Song of the Lioness Quartet when I was little. That’s what your name immediately reminded me of, but I don’t know anyone else who has actually read that series,lol. :) However, I feel pretty stupid not knowing that it’s a place in Thailand, ngl.

29. Jessica
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 8:24 am | Permalink

I would say Tyrion because he’s older, wiser and better to deal with, but I love me some Jon however where he is now, fits his character even though I want him there with Robb after what happened to Ned.

30. Hilda
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Fun interview!

31. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

the TVGuide interview is hilarious!

and dude, I can totally feel Nikolaj’s pain T.T
    and the trailer for Headhunters is pretty cool!