New viewer looks ahead to season two
By Winter Is Coming on in Speculation.

Our newbie recapper, We Do Not Sow, will be back this season giving his thoughts on each episode, completely oblivious to the story as told in the books. To reintroduce himself to our readers, I’ve asked him to provide us with a rundown of what he is looking forward to this season. I thought it would be interesting to hear it from the perspective of someone who hasn’t read the books and has no idea what is coming…

We Do Not Sow: Its been a while… I have been practically living underground the past eight months in an effort to keep my GoT virginity. I have done my very best to keep any spoilers at bay and have even kept my visits to WinterIsComing.net at a minimum.

I just got done re-watching season one the other day, and when looking back on it, there is so much foreshadowing in the first few episodes, you readers must have been squealing in anticipation after each scene. Last spring, Sunday could not come soon enough and now we are almost back to watching the clock on Sunday nights again.

There are so many different plot lines I’m excited for this season but at the top has to be Jon Snow and the boys at the Wall finally going beyond the Wall on an excursion. Will they find wildlings fleeing the north? Or will they find more frozen undead? Either way, I think now that we know who’s who in the north the action will start to pick up.

Early on in season one I didn’t even pay much attention to Robb Stark, but by the end I was kneeling in front of my flat screen saying “The King of the North!” It was great to see the writers show Robb grow up right before our eyes last season. After leading the invasion into the south and even capturing Jaime, he really has a target on his back. I hope we get to see more of Robb’s rise to glory, but after last season I’m almost too scared to say he is one of my favorites.

I am very excited to learn more about Theon and the remaining Greyjoys. They were touched on briefly in season one, but hopefully we will soon learn more! Others I am looking forward to seeing more of would be Gendry, Alliser Thorne, Jorah Mormont and, of course, the dragons! Can you believe I actually waited this long to talk about the dragons? From the season finale and the trailers for season 2 so far, the computer-generated dragons look amazing and way better than I thought a television series could even be. Way to go, HBO! Daenerys’ plot really interests me because now she has the dragons and a ragtag bunch of followers, but is that enough to wage war? Or will she wait for the dragons to mature and wait for the war between the north and south to be over before making her move?

I must say from the trailers of season 2 there looks like a lot of new faces. It is awesome to meet new characters but also very overwhelming. Again, I just hope I can explain and tell my reactions, feelings and guesses without mixing up characters too much. I recently went back and read my posts from season one and they were a lot of fun to read, especially my guessing of the plot’s twists and turns. In case anyone is scoring at home, I haven’t guessed one right yet!

Well everyone, I look forward to writing and commenting back to you on Sunday late nights again!

1. Shmargen
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Great to see We Do Not Sow return! It’s always great to see people’s first reactions. :p

Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Hooray, I’ve been looking forward to this one ;)

3. tumblefell
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to these recaps! It’s always interesting to see a truly fresh perspective on the series…

4. dizzy_34
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

GoT virginity: a rare thing indeed.

5. Lady Stoneheart
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic idea! I did not follow WIC last season and read the books before this season. It’s nice to see someones well written reactions to this upcoming season and I look forward to reading the post by We Do Not Sow.

6. darquemode
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Great article and idea WDNS!
    I bet many non-readers were completely off in their attempts to guess the plots of Season 1! XD

7. darquemode
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

HBO and Entertainment Weekly are doing the “Game of Thrones Ultimate Experience Sweepstakes”.

Grand Prize is a trip to Comic-Con 2012 and entry to the Thrones Panel, but 100 people will win either Season 1 DVD sets or AsoIaF book sets! Free to enter. US only sadly….

8. if it please
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

question: will the episodes be up on HBO Go the same night? I remember last year they were, maybe a little delay, like around 9:30. Can anyone confirm for me?

9. darquemode
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

if it please,

If I recall correctly it was 30-minutes to an hour later for it to turn up on HBO Go and then sometime the next morning on HBO onDemand.

I’m not official confirmation I guess… but I think you are right.

Of course there was at least once last year when HBO Go had the episode 1 week early before it aired on HBO. It was available immediately following the normal airing of the week’s episode. I know Episode 7 was available on HBO Go immediately after Episode 6 premiered on HBO. I cannot recall if it happened more than once….

10. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Welcome back WDNS!! Your posts were always my favourites to read after each episode, along with the twitter recap.

If I remember correctly there was some virgin viewers that made good predictions, but not many…it’s quite a hard job hehe

11. Chris
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Just found out that my wife hooked a friend of hers on Season 1.
    The friend then bought AGOT and read it.
    Had she read ACOK yet? No.

12. Þóra
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to reading WDNS’s reactions to everything that will happen this season!

Winter, Stöð 2 in Iceland has announced that they will be showing the second season episodes the day after they air in the US, on Mondays, if you want to add that to the International Airings page. :)

13. Hollyoak
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I have to commend We do Not Sow on staying away from the internet. That must be hard. He probably can’t even read the responses to this post for fear of someone spoiling it for him!

I hope not. You are in for a ride…

14. Udi
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed reading the comments of non-ASOIAF-readers on HBO-GO during S1 and “we do not sow” is a great deal of fun reading as well, especially finding out that 99% of them had 0% correct guesses on all the plot twists. This seems very logical to me but I admit there is a certain sadistic pleasure in reading what others think is going to happen and then seeing their reactions to what ACTUALLY happens. I know for a fact that I am not alone in this “sadistic” pastime!

15. Mimsy
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

“Or will she wait for the dragons to mature and wait for the war between the north and south to be over before making her move?”

Interesting question, We Do Not Sow and one of MANY questions to be answered.

I would imagine if you’re going to make a play on a kingdom you better get in the game early on and win the people’s support by showing them your awesome dragons. We’re in for many whispers and intrigue throughout this throne game.

16. Harald Natvik
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

From the article: “I hope we get to see more of Robb’s rise to glory, but after last season I’m almost too scared to say he is one of my favorites”

Poor guy…Guess he’ll be disappointed, along with the rest of the people who haven’t read the books, when the Freys are playing happy wedding hosts later.

17. bon
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Everyone! Call your banners and vote, because Game of thhrones is losing with Sons of Anarchy 48 to 52 percent.

Posted March 28, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Hey, I was just wondering what happened to you. Welcome back!

19. Arristan the Old
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Chris: Just found out that my wife hooked a friend of hers on Season 1.The friend then bought AGOT and read it.Had she read ACOK yet? No.“DON’T!” I said. The twists and turns, not to mention big battles, are probably best seen without any advance knowledge. If you’ve read the first book, you’re plenty up to speed on who’s who. Just enjoy!

LOL, I would have said “HURRY UP!” The twists and turns, not to mention big battles, are probably best *read* without any advance knowledge…

Just my opinion; the show is awesome and all, but the books are the greatest thing ever. I’d much rather have the show spoiled by the books than the books spoiled by the show. But like I said, that just my opinion, and I’m definitely glad somebody out there is keeping pure for the show so I can read/watch their take on it later. Larry Williams’ videos were great after last year’s episodes and I don’t doubt I would have greatly enjoyed WDNS’s reactions too, had I been aware of them at the time. I’ll be keeping an eye out for them this year for sure.

20. if it please
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

darquemode,

ok just wanted to make sure. thanks a bunch!

21. Robbet
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Welcome back, We Do Not Sow!! I’m looking forward to read your thoughts on this season!

22. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34:
    GoT virginity: a rare thing indeed.

QFT.

also, welcome back, We Do Not Sow (despite you being here way before I arrived)! I think it will be nice to see your reactions. (and I can’t say anything else, unless I spoil your fun! haha)

23. Morgan King
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

“Daenerys’ plot really interests me because now she has the dragons and a ragtag bunch of followers, but is that enough to wage war? Or will she wait for the dragons to mature and wait for the war between the north and south to be over before making her move? ”

I think it’s really great that fans who haven’t read the books can still anticipate the possibility that Dany isn’t getting to Westeros for a long time (if ever?). It’s such a nontraditional narrative that I was concerned about how that would go down for that part of the audience.

24. userj
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Yay we do not sow! I love your recaps, and hearing from newbies is a special passion of mine (LOVED doing this with my friends last year!).

I dont’ know if you were aware of it, but there is a great thread that’s completely spoiler free over at twop and several posters from last year are beginning to return. The moderators are very thorough. If you are dying to talk to someone, that’s the place to go!

25. Mimsy
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Morgan King,

You know, as a non reader during season 1, I actually DIDN’T want Dany and the Dothraki, to ever reach Kings Landing. Throne by right and all of that, but her army of Dothraki (in my opinion) had NO place in a civilization such as Westeros. It would be like Attila the Hun ruling Canada. I thought at the end of Season 1 that Robb would successfully separate the North and then have to ultimately fight Stannis to keep it… or because Ned was okay with Stannis being the rightful heir, then Robb would bend the knee to Stannis later on.

Those were my newbie thoughts before I read all of the books and GRRM pretty much made a mess of my theory.

26. T
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

“I thought it would be interesting to hear it from the perspective of someone who hasn’t read the books and has no idea what is coming…”

Ummmmmm….Winter?

27. Restore The Day
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34:
    GoT virginity: a rare thing indeed.

This should be a T-shirt (in the famous got milk fashion)

28. Restore The Day
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

T,

LOL

29. We Do Not Sow
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the Welcome back everyone! I’ really have enjoyed your comments today ads well as all the rest from last season. So i encourage all non-readers like myself to chime in with their thoughts as well as the readers. Can’t wait till Sunday!

30. Elkins
    Posted March 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

This was really interesting for me to read, because your list is quite different from the list of things that my non-reader friends have been expressing the most bit-chomping about. They’re all primarily dying of curiosity about Stannis (or “the Lobster Brother,” as they call him), and they’ve also expressed a lot of eagerness to find out how Tyrion might fare as Hand.

It’s really great to see these differences, though. It’s fantastic that Season 1 threw out so many interest-inspiring hooks that viewers have the luxury of picking and choosing which ones have them the most excited. Talk about spoiled for choice!

31. Langkard
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Welcome back, We Do Not Sow! I look forward to your reactions to the new season. It is always fun to see a different perspective from mine. Having read the books multiple times, it helps to see the show from the viewpoint of someone seeing the entire story fresh. You notice things and react to things slightly differently than I would. Then I watch the episode again after reading your commentary and it’s rather like having a 3-D view then. My perspective added to knowing yours makes the second viewing richer.

32. GumpBrave
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 3:45 am | Permalink

How tired are you of people telling you to read the books? The show is an immensely impressive enterprise, but the books are better because you can do whatever you want with ink and the process of reading connects the reader intimately with the plot by necessarily providing imagination in a way that even the visual and human element of actors can’t reach.

But from a National Geographic standpoint it should be great to observe your experience. However, I don’t envy those artificial limits on your information/involvement. I hope you went ahead and applied for sainthood before some ASOIAF shit goes down and destroys your sanity. bwahahaha

33. Qazokju
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

This seems fake. Like you’re pretending to not know show spoilers that everyone who visits wic knows. Not from the books but from the news (like casting will tell you more Greyjoys have been cast). How can you write on wic and not know a thousand minor spoilers? I get you haven’t read the books but are you really that clueless about season 2? Be real and real people like you will tune in.

34. Mary
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Oh what fun it is to look through the eyes of somebody who has not read the books! I hadn’t read or heard of these books before I watched the first season either. I did consider not reading them and just taking the show as it comes, but I just couldn’t! I had to read the first book; sadly there was only one outcome for me – I had to read the rest of them! Now I’m waiting (not very patiently) for George’s next book to come out. I also cannot wait for Sunday! I love the show too!!

35. Knurk
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I just went to a screening of the first 2 episodes with my sister who doesn’t read the books, and she was in awe. A bit confusing because she hasn’t rewatched season 1, read any side-info or watched any trailers but in minutes she became engrossed again. A quote: “I had forgotton how much I fucking loved this show.”

36. Qazokju
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Your sister sounds really smart.

37. Eric Allen
    Posted March 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Not to steal We Do Not Sow’s thunder, but I didn’t know where else to put this. Larry Williams released his pre-season expectations video today. It’s worth a watch (and maybe it’s own WiC post?).