Interviews galore: Dinklage, Harington, Headey and more
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

With days to go until the premiere, the interviews with cast and crew are coming fast and furious. Here are some good ones…

First, this profile piece on Peter Dinklage by Dan Kois, published in the New York Times, is absolutely phenomenal. A fascinating read that covers Dinklage’s early acting career and what eventually led him to take the role of Tyrion.

The apartment they shared under the Williamsburg Bridge had no heat and shook when trains passed overhead; the oven was unusable, because it was filled with rats. When they complained, Dinklage recalled, the landlord pulled a knife in the living room. “It wasn’t really a living room,” Dinklage said, “just a big empty space that we dreamed of doing ‘True West’ in. But we ended up drinking too much and had one poetry reading.” Bell recalls it “as a space where we could have parties to raise the money to make rent,” but eventually they couldn’t make the rent — they came back from the holidays one year to find the door bolted shut.

And a bonus: the author of the article tweeted me to let me know that Dinklage specifically mentioned WinterIsComing.net as a site he loves and reads!

Speaking of cast shout-outs, Vulture just published an interview with Kit Harington, where he name checks WiCnet as a site he checks often.

But there are some really good fan sites. If I ever need to clue in my memory about something, I’ll check out WinterisComing.net. That’s a good site. And I go back to the books.

Thanks Kit!

The Los Angeles Times’ Hero Complex blog did a profile on Lena Headey. This one is also a great read.

“I think she [Cersei] is deeply, deeply fearful,” said the 38-year-old actress. “She sleeps with fear in her soul. She is full of terror and paranoia and insecurity. She hides it with stillness. She does not move much and that’s been a real challenge for me. I fidget. She’s like a cobra, she’s a snake just waiting and waiting… the hard thing is it’s freezing where we film [in Belfast] in a shipyard for five months a year and I’m there in a silk dress trying to be totally still.”

Speaking of Headey, she also did an interview with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Entertainment Weekly.

One of the interesting things about the Thrones universe is that most of the romantic relationships are initially transactional. They’re often for money or power or security. Cersei and Jaime’s relationship is twisted, but it’s one of the few couplings motivated by love despite enormous risk. “It’s ironic, but it’s true,” Coster-Waldau agrees. “All these other players are like pawns in this game that just get moved around by their families. But these two … what they have it was just too powerful too ignore.”

SciFiNow caught up with director and co-executive producer Alan Taylor, who talked about the challenges they faced this season and also confirmed he will be back to direct one episode in season three.

“I guess the biggest challenge narratively, which is a part of that, is the stories we set up in the first season are diverging for now, they’re getting further apart and each one is taking on more stature, so it’s getting harder and harder to keep track of them all – one unit’s in Iceland, one unit’s in Croatia, and we didn’t have a whole lot of money.
“The challenge with any of this fantasy work is achieving the epic and also making it connect emotionally,” Taylor continues, “and doing it for less money than your average blockbuster – it doubles the challenge. I’m amazed by what we were able to pull off.”

There are bunch more interviews out there, so let’s wrap this up, Quick Hits-style.

Liam Cunningham at Westeros.org
Liam Cunningham at Digital Spy
Liam Cunningham at SFX
Liam Cunningham at TV Choice Magazine
Emilia Clarke at SciFiNow
Emilia Clarke at Time Out Sydney
Emilia Clarke at WhatCulture
Michelle Fairley at SciFiNow
Michelle Fairley at SFX
Peter Dinklage at Hero Complex
Kristian Nairn at Red Dot Diva
Iain Glen at SFX
Ron Donachie at ScienceFiction.com
George R. R. Martin at National Post
Set report with quotes from Emilia Clarke and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau at National Post

1. Daniel Griffin
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Nice shout out from Larry and Kit

2. Knurk
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

There was also an excellent article in Empire that Michael Harper transcribed on an other forum. They were talking about freakin’ GIANTS!

3. Peter
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Woo! My spot got in there.

4. Lala
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

A smart comment by Kit about Jon not wanting to be king:

“And don’t you find that the people most suited to power are the ones who don’t want it? [Laughs.] I think he’d be a very good leader.”

That’s actually true, look at King Alfred for example.

5. Knurk
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Here it is: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=38441.690

And lol when I was googling Michael Harper I found this article, hope it wasn’t you! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/20/urinating-transformer-sentence_n_1288760.html

6. Katie
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink

It’s so funny reading an interview of an actor who has clearly read the books beyond what they’ve shot, because you can see them trying to circle around their own theories and ideas without spoiling it for anybody. Jon’s story in particular is really, really hard to keep your mouth shut about, so good on Kit for being able to restrain himself. If I were him, I’d be constantly putting my foot in my mouth by going “OMG, I am such a Targaryen. My mother was a bad ass and my father was an emo prince and I JUST WANT MY FLAMING SWORD AND MY DRAGON, PUT ME ON THE IRON THRONE AND LET’S BE DONE WITH IT ALREADY, PLEASE.”

I wish we could just get all of the actors who’ve read the series in a room with a camera, some fans and some drinks, and just let them speculate at will, spoilers and all. That would be the best round table ever.

So many interviews! Thanks for posting them all! :)

7. purplejilly
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

OMG! So many interviews! *brain explodes*

8. negar
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I’m so happy they ‘re making Ygritte ‘s role more important than the book.it seems there’s going to be a lot of teasing and mockery for Jon!I love it!he’s too serious so it’ll be easy enough.

9. purplejilly
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

The other thing that is bothering me is that all these press interview posts are pushing the gems of the site down into the ‘older posts’ too quickly – the gems being the WiC Custom interviews. We need an extra link in the nav bar somewhere for the WiC Custom content, so it doesn’t get buried too quickly!

10. Impi
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Peter signed for 6 years! That is exciting news.

11. Dee
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

A great Dinklage interview. He’s such a cool, intelligent, complex, principled guy that it’s really hard not to have a crush on him after reading this interview. The fact that I find him extremely sexy, makes it almost impossible.
    I agree with Tom McCarthy that Peter is most definitely leading man material, and not just for GOT. I would love to see him as the lead in a Rom-Com with someone like Reese Witherspoon or Rachel Adams. I think he would be a revelation.

I’m so looking forward to watching him this season, it’s his season and I’m sure he is going to own it.

12. Knurk
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Dee: I would love to see him as the lead in a Rom-Com with someone like Reese Witherspoon or Rachel Adams.

lmfao, why would you make him suffer like that?

13. Katie
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Peter,

Alright, if you are Peter Dinklage, awesome interview, and thanks for stopping in! If you’re not Peter Dinklage, nice one dude. :p

Williamsburg then sounds like Bushwick now: Cheap(ish), dirty, and full of artists. I like Peter’s comment on how calling himself lucky would kind of cheapen the hard work he’s done. It’s really true, as well-intentioned as the comment may be. People think they’re being humble by saying they fell into a good situation. For everyone else who is going on a million auditions or interviews and getting shit work, or no work at all, you read that and think “well fuck you very much, you want to tell me where I can find the next fairy and luck my way into a paycheck?” You get what the interviewee is trying to say, but it can definitely come across as salt in an open wound.

14. Jordan Healey
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Knurk,

Episode 9 sounds very promising.

15. Peter
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Katie,

Yeah, I’m not Peter Dinklage I just happen to share the same name haha.

16. Katie
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Peter,

Lmao didn’t think so, but when you said “my spot made it”, I got confused. :p You could’ve milked it a little bit first, man, jeeze. Wasted opportunity.

17. Han
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if anyone has seen this or if this has been posted but I ran accross an interview with Hannah Murray, where she talks about her role as Gilly.

18. Peter
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Katie,

Oh no, I’ll try the whole milking it the next time someone mistakes me for him, I can’t say it happens all to often though. On the “my spot” front I suppose it does come across like I meant “my interview” but I actually meant I spotted the Liam Cunningham on digital spy, I rarely comment on forums and things and was surprised to see it used.

19. stile
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Interesting article on Peter Dinklage…seems like they were trying too hard to create their narrative, though, of the struggling actor who finally caught a big break…they never even mentioned Elf or Death at a Funeral.

20. Katie
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Peter,

Gotcha. In any case, congrats on the good eye. :)

There are so many good interviews coming out all at once, it’s a little overwhelming. HBO’s press dept. better be taking themselves to lunch today, because they’ve clearly been working their asses off. I suppose it helps that the show is so good that people actually want to write about it. Maybe. ;p

21. Ramah
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Great piece on Peter Dinklage. Really enjoyed reading it so thanks for the link. :)

22. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

the PD interview is superb.
    and dude, Kit’s so spoierific! hahaha but he seems to enjoy the books very much =)
    Lena is lovely ^^

and hey, nice that Liam knows some brazilian actors! haha I really didn’t expect anyone from the show to shoutout anything brazilian-related ^^
    but the show will air with subtitles, not voice over (and I’m grateful for that! I like to listen to the original sound whenever it’s possible)!
    he’s cool as ever

didn’t knwo Emilia was a little uneasy with horses haha she’s so cute!
    Michelle is delightful, too!

23. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

nice interviews with Kristian, Iain and Ron, too /o/ good to hear from the most “obscure” characters.
    and from Hannah Murray!

24. uno0
    Posted March 30, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Much and more interviews – thanks, Winter, for assembling them!

25. breaklance
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Katie,

Super agree. If HBO would ever let a couple of the actors and some super fans like the lovely folks who run WiC into a room to just shoot the breeze about the story, and film it — i’d think it would eclipse Dr. Who nerdgasm levels.

Though I don’t exactly understand the speculation about Jon’s “true” parents. I mean doesn’t the 5th book kind of throw a hammer in that theory? I don’t buy the entire Ned Stark is completely incapable of performing dishonorable deeds. Especially when GRRM goes ahead to portray Robb and Jon as nearly spitting images of their father only for them to also do some deeds against either their own honor code or vows they’ve taken. Add in that ONLY Jon and Arya look like a “Stark” of the children when in the series all bastards have had really, really strong resemblance to their fathers. Roose, Jon, Arya, Gendry, Joff, and Tommen all have their father’s eyes and specific defining looks. I realize giving Jon purple eyes would scream “the story your being told isn’t the truth” but its just too farfetched. And imo it would ruin any theories on a Dany + Jon ending.

26. Fast and Furious 6 full movie download
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 1:31 am | Permalink

You are in point of actuality a superb internet marketer. It packing pace is outstanding. It kind of thinks that you’ll be performing almost any distinctive secret. Also, A subject matter are generally masterwork. you will have completed an admirable job for this matter!