First look at Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H’ghar
By Winter Is Coming on in Media, Press.
Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H'ghar

Credit: Helen Sloan/HBO

Access Hollywood has provided us with our first look at Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H’ghar! The article also includes a few quotes from Maisie Williams about meeting Wlaschiha for the first time.

Tom’s co-star, 14-year-old Maisie, told Access she figured out just who he would be playing not long after they first met on the Belfast, Northern Ireland, set.

“I think it was when I was gonna go and get my wig done last season, was when I first met Tom,” Maisie said. “He came in and I knew he was from ‘Game of Thrones’ just ‘cause he had that look about him, and he looked really mysterious.

“He came in and introduced himself and later on, we Googled him and saw a bit more about him and we kind of put two and two together and realized that maybe he was going to be playing Jaqen,” she said.

More quotes from Tom and Maisie at the full article. The rest of the Maisie interview will be up on Access Hollywood tomorrow.

Winter Is Coming: Jaqen looks great! The two-tone hair is not as vibrant as it was described in the book, but I was expecting that. I’m just glad they’ve kept the suggestion of it in and also Jaqen’s peculiar way of speaking. And Wlaschihia really does have a mysterious look to him. Valar morghulis!

1. Draig
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Jaqen looks amazing- FIRST!

2. Ours is the Fury
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Didn’t one of the extras describe his hair as being sort of auburn and white? I was expecting it to not be bright red, based on that. I think this photo has a certain kind of tinting you see a lot in the promo pics, so it may be brighter on the show and up close.

He looks amazing.

3. Lady Stoneheart
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

hell yes! I also wish his hair was a bit more drastic but its all good. I hope they’ll expand on his look when his story line develops more. Valar Morgulis!

4. Karikki
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I love the story about Maisie going googling and drawing the conclusion that he was going to be playing Jaqen… sounds a bit familiar, doesn’t it?

5. Ash
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Not a bad look, more interested in how they make rorge and biter look

6. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

This photo is obviously from season 1 episode 10! I can’t believe all of you got so fooled.. They probably dyed his hair properly for season 2..

7. Lorena Lara
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Jaqen is one of my fav characters ever written *.* and I think Tom looks amazing as H’ghar

8. H, aka Vee
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Just when I think I can’t possibly be any more excited and impatient for Season 2, this happens. Bring it.

9. Black Lion
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Goddammit, he looks a-maisie-ing! His hair is perfect.

10. Héctor G. López De Victoria Vélez
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP:

This is incorrect. Tom wasn’t casted until production of Season 2 was in full steam.

11. spacechampion
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I wonder if Froggy gave Maisie a riddle to solve that.

12. rorschach-
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Looks pretty bad ass, as Jaqen should look. Really glad they didn’t go anything like Lannister red with Targaryen white. I truly didn’t even think they would do it like that but there is always the “but” and “what if” that is the tiny little doubt at the back of your head. Should always trust D&D.

13. Nimble Dick
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

To clear it up Jaqen was in Kings Landing to Kill Dany right?

what ever the case is, he looks like someone who keeps a promise

14. tumblefell
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

He looks fantastic! And Tom Wlaschiha is a really interesting actor…can’t wait to see more of him.

15. Coltaine777
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

He’s looking good…can’t wait see him and Arya interact ! …
    Now we need a look at Asha/Yara …

16. Mimsy
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to see Jaqen in action! He was quite low key and stealthy in the books (until the big reveal!), but I hope we get some good ninja action on screen.. just to show him off. I think Jaqen and Cold Hands are the most mysterious characters and sadly we didn’t get as much detailed background on these two in the series.. as of yet.

I want to hear Jaqen speak! He looks amazing.. even if the hair is toned down.. I’m way excited that they kept the dual colors!!! HBO is killing us.. seriously.

17. Mormegil
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Nimble Dick: To clear it up Jaqen was in Kings Landing to Kill Dany right? what ever the case is, he looks like someone who keeps a promise

Where do you get that from?

It was made clear in the books that they were not going to hire a Faceless Man to kill Dany.

18. lonas
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Spoiler ahead guys Anyone else thinks is Jaqen who killed Pate and then pretended to be him in a A Feast for Crows?

19. Ed
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Nope, that’s Sarella Sand.

lonas:
    Spoiler ahead guys Anyone else thinks is Jaqen who killedPate and then pretended to be him in a A Feast for Crows?

20. sj
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Honestly, the photo’s a little washed out to tell just how vibrant his hair is. Doesn’t matter in the end, I guess, as long as he gives a good performance.

And hey, if he doesn’t, changing actors will be a breeze!

21. lonas
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

You mean One of the snake sands?? I think not as its implied he looked sorta like Jaqens new face when he left Arya in Harrenhall
    Ed,

22. Lina
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. The moment I’ve been waiting for! Part of me almost wishes I hadn’t seen it, so that I would be completely 100% surprised and delighted when he appeared in the show. But now I’m happy we have this teaser.

He looks AWESOME. Completely mysterious. And he looks pretty worn/ragged from the Black Cells, but he still this element of poise and sophistication that I always imagined Jaqen to have. And I’m SO glad they didn’t go over-the-top with his hair. I don’t think a more mainstream audience would take him seriously with bright red and white half-and-half hair. From that picture, it looks like he’s more auburn with a white streak. And I’m fine with that, and prefer it actually. All I care about is how fantastic he’s going to be.

VALAR MORGHULIS.

23. quorin halfhand
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Ed,

how did you come to the conclusion that sallera sand was the one that killed pate in the prologue of AFFC? If my memory serves correct, the face that jaqen transforms into in ACOK is the same face that is described before pate is killed.

I vaguely remember something about sallera sand being related to this but i guess i just dismissed it as a theory

On topic, Jaqen looks as awesome as I pictured him, I cant fucking wait

24. Azazelus
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

@lonas, @Ed

Actually no… Jaqen is the Alchemist that killed Pate, and then assumed his identity and Alleras (Sarella backwards) is the Sand Snake Sarella Sand… At least, that is the general belief by most that I have come across…

This means that both Jaqen and Sarella Sand are in Oldtown for some reason…

25. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Héctor G. López De Victoria Vélez,

then who was in the cage at the end of season 1?? huh??

26. Paul
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Wait, why didn’t they get Miltos Yerolemou to play him? :-)

27. Hi-Fi
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

quorin halfhand,

It’s speculated that Sarella Sand is in that prologue/chapter, pretending to be a man, Arellas (Sarella spelled backwards) The Sphinx, trying to learn something in Oldtown. Not sure what’s Doran’s plan with this.

However, the Alchemist, the man who kills Pate is a completely different character and yep, his description matches Jaqen’s new look.

28. Oi!
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I’m just happy that they didnt go with the crazy anime hair from the books.

29. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

quorin halfhand,

It is theorised that Pate’s friend ‘Alleras’ is Sarella Sand. The man who killed Pate and replaced him certainly looks the same as the face Jaqen changes into.

Bit hard to see his hair colour in that washed out photo- something to look forward to later on.

One thing confuses me- it says in the interview that Maisie met Tom last series when she was getting her wig? She doesn’t wear a wig this series. So perhaps he was there to audition- or maybe he was cast sometime before we got the news?

30. Ed
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Oh! Thanks for the clarification!

Azazelus:
    @lonas, @Ed

This means that both Jaqen and Sarella Sand are in Oldtown for some reason…

31. Ash
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

Little more than extras

32. John W
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to hear him speak.

33. quorin halfhand
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

Hi-Fi,

ahhhh thats what it was! I remember now and yea that does make sense since alleras was said to be from dorne if im correct

34. Lise Bollum
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

A girl likes what she sees!

I think the hair looks fine, actually. It still conveys some of the same quirkiness as in the books, but without looking cheezy. I’m happy to see that one of my favourite non-POV characters is likely to get the treatment he deserves.

Can’t wait!!!

35. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I have an unrelated, but interesting question: So I’ve read the first 4 books only and I am currently re-watching season 1 in prep for season 2:

In episode 4: Ned Stark is told by littlefinger that sir Hugh of the Vale was knighted immediately after Jon Arryn’s death. In episode 5: Ned also notices that Sir Hugh is also wearing a new suit of armor, which he cannot possibly have afforded. Therefore, implying that Sir Hugh was paid to poison Jon Arryn.

Now this IS VERY inconsistent with what happens in book 3: [spoilers ahead!] In one of the last few chapters, Lysa admits to having poisoned Jon Arryn!! uhhh… SO WHY ON EARTH WAS SIR HUGH KNIGHTED AND GIVEN MONEY IN THE FIRST SEASON!!! I would greatly appreciate it if someone can explain this inconsistency for me, as it has been confusing me for a while! Thanks in advance! [also, if this is later answered in book 5, which I highly doubt, just mention that it is answered in book 5 without spoiling plz!]

36. Maxwell James
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Paul,

I think one of the most interesting questions for season 2 is: when Jaqen changes his face at the end of the season, will it be Miltos he changes into?

37. Erik
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

He said pate, Seralla is supposed to be Alleras.

From the wiki
    “It is widely believed that Sarella Sand is in disguise in Oldtown as the novice Alleras, studying for a maester’s chain. The name Alleras is Sarella backwards, and Alleras (“the Sphinx”) bears a resemblance to Oberyn Martell. Furthermore, disguising herself as a man to learn the secrets of the maesters would be in keeping with what is known of Sarella’s character.”

Ed,

Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James:
    Paul,

Wouldn’t Arya recognize him though? The viewers likely would and if Arya didn’t it would be a problem.

39. Maxwell James
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

One of the experts at Westeros.org would probably be best suited to answer your question, but on the face of it I don’t think it’s that contradictory.

1) Littlefinger and Lysa conspired to poison Jon Arryn.
    2) Ser Hugh, being Jon’s squire, would make a natural patsy, especially having been with Jon in his dying hours.
    3) Hugh was knighted by Robert after Jon’s death – again, the normal course of things for a squire to a great lord.
    4) As for the money, that is Littlefinger’s specialty…

40. Erik
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

It’s possible that littlefinger arranged to have him knighted and paid him off, to throw Ned and more importantly Varys off.

HERP-DERP,

41. evilclosetmonkey
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Now this IS VERY inconsistent with what happens in book 3:

I’ve always assumed that Littlefinger got Hugh knighted and bought the armor for him. Not directly of course, but however Hugh ended up with his knighthood and armor I’m pretty sure Littlefinger was behind it. Kinda his MO to set someone else up as the fall guy and to take attention away from himself.

42. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

It is hard to tell from the pic. I think would have preferred a bolder streak , too..( Jaqen is a little flamboyant , especially when he has access to soap and water ;) )..but so much of his charisma is in his speech and his character that I’m sure the difference in the hair won’t matter to anyone.

43. Maxwell James
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

[Jaqen passes a hand before his face, and as he does it changes, developing a hooked nose, a long scar, and a huge head of curly black hair]

Arya: Syrio…?
    The Alchemist [grinning, with a deeper, gruffer voice]: Not today.

I’m not endorsing this – I have been an avowed skeptic of S=J, at least until S failed to die in the first season. But that’s how I think it would play out.

44. purplejilly
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

I think Jaqen is the new character I am most looking forward to in S. 2

45. dizzy_34
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Looks good. Now we just need some Rattleshirt.

46. purplejilly
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James: Jaqen passes a hand before his face, and as he does it changes, developing a hooked nose, a long scar, and a huge head of curly black hair]
    Arya: Syrio…?
    The Alchemist [grinning, with a deeper, gruffer voice]: Not today.

Sounds good to me! Let’s see, things I was right about in the past that I have had confirmed in GoT commentaries..

* Lysa’s breast was a prosthetic (Confirmed by Peter Dinklage in commentary )
    * Sansa thinks Arya’s ‘dancing lessons’ are actual dancing lessons, and not swordfighting (Confirmed by Sophie Turner in Ep. 3 commentary)

Let’s hope I can add the S=J theory sometime in the future! ; )

47. andrea
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

oh, I didn´t want to see him just yet.

48. OhDanyBoy
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP:
    Héctor G. López De Victoria Vélez,

then who was in the cage at the end of season 1?? huh??

Jaqen was the guy with the hood over his head – his face wasn’t shown so he wouldn’t need to be cast until season 2.

49. Jaqen H’ghar
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

So, you like me!!!!
    hmmm…
    …beware if i am not beside YOU!!! Valar Morghulis

Let´s make a “Jaqen H’ghar to the IRON THRONE – Petition”

Ok he is my favorite character… sorry…

50. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Paul,

No , it wouldn’t do to have Arya recognize him at that point , but I’m waiting to see if just for a moment he looks sort of Syrio-ish in the Morphing process. You know, just enough to make Arya ( and us ) blink, and wonder if we’re seeing things… or if there’s some other tease in the dialogue to keep the question alive for viewers, like ” Not today.” last season. What a thrill.

51. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

My reading of it was as follows:

Littlefinger wants the Lannisters, who are known for having plenty of money, to take the blame for Jon Arryn’s death. Takes suspicion away from Lysa (and by association, him) and causes a war, giving him plenty of opportunity to increase his own standing.

Providing Hugh with shiny new (poorly fitting) armour- through intermediaries in an untraceable manner of course- gives the impression he was paid to gve Jon the poison. Arranging that Hugh will face Gregor in the joust then gives the impression that the loyal Lannister bannerman is getting rid of Hugh in case he talks. Of course Gregor will happily kill whenever he has the opportunity, so just presenting a stuck up young knight with a gap in his armour is all the persuasion he needs.

52. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Aha ! we’re on the same page but you type so much faster. ;)

53. houndlover
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Soooooooooooooooo pretty…. The Hound may be 2nd in my heart/fantasies for season 2. Nom.

But on a serious note, looking forward to seeing the hair in a better pic

54. Jaqen H'ghar
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Get the fuck in.

He looks incredible.

55. GrandmaFunk
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Didn’t GRRM already quash the whole s=j theory?

56. the goat
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

“A girl should be bloody, too. This is her work.”

Dammit March, why aren’t you April!?

Maxwell James,
    Obsidian,

A billion times no.

57. Maxwell James
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

GrandmaFunk,

Quite the opposite, actually. George wrote “The Pointy End.” If he wanted to quash the theory he could have had Ser Meryn Trant chop Syrio in half on screen. Instead we got “Not today” and some very indeterminate clanging sounds.

the goat,

I sympathize – like I said, I didn’t care for this theory, especially when it was just based on the books. It seems to me to be rather untrue to Syrio’s character, who was/is very strongly ethical, a rarity in this story. But I am entertained by the game, so to speak.

58. Lala
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Better than I imagined!!!!

59. Lars
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

This has to be one of the most idiotic of fan theories out there.

60. Nimble Dick
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Jaqen is a faceless man

61. zerowolf
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

Wrong.That was an extra wearing a hooded cloak.They did not cast this character until pre-production on Season Two.

62. GrandmaFunk
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James:
    GrandmaFunk,

I’m pretty sure I remember him making a statement that he kept syrio’s true fate happen “off-camera/off-stage” like in the book but that it was in no way an endorsement of the s=j theory. It simply makes for a more dramatic scene and makes arya’s POV it’s focus.

even if Syrio doesn’t truly die in that scene, that’s not at all the same thing as proving that he’s also Jaqen.

63. userj
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Lars: Ugh, can the Syrio is Jaqen theory please die? There is nothing to support it other than wishful thinking.

Seriously. And why is everyone so ‘fking obsessed with Syrio anyway??? He’s a plot device, and cliche cardboard cutout. It’s like fantasy fans come to the series and they glomp onto the only characters that don’t break with typical fantasy tropes. This misses the whole point of asoiaf. grumblegrumble

Jaqen is a much better character than Syrio. Much darker, much more interesting. He’s not one of my favorites (he seems a little… super human), but at least he has moral flaws. The character would lose a lot if it turned out he was actually Syrio.

64. Perkins
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Awesome look, cant waiiiiit.

Rooose next please… send my regards

65. Maxwell James
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

GrandmaFunk,

Sure. I guess my point is: what George says on this matter strikes me as far less important than what he does. So for example, he’s repeatedly implied under questioning that Syrio is obviously dead. Yet given the opportunity to put that line of questioning to rest, he instead doubled down on the mystery.

That’s not the sort of decision you make when you want to quash a theory.

66. Arristan the Old
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Looks awesome! Can’t wait for April, though my newly arrived Blu-Rays should help me endure the wait…

and for the record:
    - dead Syrio is awesome; surviving Syrio as Jaqen is boooorrrring, sorry folks.
    - Sarella Sand is not the alchemist who kills Pate with a poisoned coin; she’s Alleras the sphinx. Aside from Alleras’s self-told background matching up with Sarella’s & what’s been mentioned above, there are lines in some of the Dornish chapters that lend farily convincing support to this someone (Doran?) refers to her playing some sort of game, someone else (Arianne maybe?) talks about her loving Oldtown, etc.)
    - Yes, it seems fairly clear that Pate’s alchemist is Jaqen H’ghar. His description practically reads like GRRM took the description of Jaqen as we last saw him, rearranged a couple of words, and used that to decribe the alchemist. What I don’t understand is, how did he find time to go to Pyke and deal with King Balon?

67. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,
    Erik,
    evilclosetmonkey,
    Shinyteapot,

Interesting theories, all of you, and I guess all of them make some sense. However, they are all just theories. I am very disappointed that GRRM never addressed this issue directly or even indirectly, and that he has left it hanging for so long… guess this is one of the few writing flaws of the ASOIAF series. I believe GRRM had completely forgotten about Sir Hugh while writing that last chapter in the 3rd book.. perhaps because he was too preoccupied with finding a way to kill off another character

68. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

Personally I think it’s a strength of the series that the author doesn’t patronize the reader and explain everything in simple words.

69. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Exactly. And you know , I think I like the tease as much as the theory..maybe more.

userj,

70. Mormegil
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Nimble Dick,

You don’t say!

My post was asking you how you came to the conclusion he was in Kings Landing to kill Dany. when there is no evidence for it and actual evidence against it.

71. Knurk
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

This picture would make me happy if I could actually SEE something. Small SD-photos make me a sad panda.

72. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Arristan the Old,

I don’t see how a surviving Syrio would be boring when that would make him the Alchemist ( whoever he is, when he’s at home ) and we don’t know what his mission is yet , or who he’s acting for ? Or why he was in KL to begin with ? It seems that the FM are not merely assassins but intelligence agents as well. They’re always gathering information , and he , at least, seems to have license to kill as necessary , not just the contract and only the contract .

73. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Tywin’s Bastard,

I disagree. There are 2 hypothesis here:

1) what people here basically said… that littlefinger paid sir hugh to make him the scapegoat and draw attention away from lysa and hence littlefinger himself

2) Equally plausible, Sir Hugh was actually paid by the Lannister’s to poison Jon Arryn AND at the same time Lysa was poisoning Jon

Given that all the events of the first season are actually based on Jon’s death, I think it was important to make it clear who killed him, rather than leave it vague and move on to more than 10 new story lines in the 4th book.

74. Suzaku
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I believe the idea they have is that he may have been invited to King’s Landing to make arrangements, but the idea was nixed and he was, for some reason, imprisoned. But that doesn’t really seem the be the way the Faceless Men operate, based on the meeting we saw.

Mormegil:
    Nimble Dick,

You don’t say!

75. userj
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,
    Or like in real life we don’t always learn every single detail of every mystery that comes along.

Anyway, Littlefinger lies all the time, especially to Ned – why are you attaching so much significance to this particular lie? It was a red herring, both for the reader and for Ned.

The plotting for Jon’s death is intricate – GRRM clearly knew LF and Lysa did it from the start. This isn’t some Aegon-esque retcon. Their actions in the first book are only understandable when you consider their complete history, including the fact that LF planned Jon’s death and used Lysa to carry it out.

As a side note, I don’t think that LF planned for Hugh to die as some above suggested. Gregor is not under LF’s control (there was, IMO, no armor sabotage). As he so often does, LF used the events as they unfolded to further his own cause – in this case to manipulate Ned against the Lannisters and deflect suspicion from himself.

76. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

I think it’s pretty clear that both Lysa and the Lannisters wanted Arryn dead. Lysa was poisoning him at LF’s behest , by her own crazed admission . Cersei was making sure Pycelle at least wasn’t giving him the best treatment , which LF was in a position to find out , or surmise. A man’s squire is in a position to perhaps notice ,or be suspicious that something is fishy .. but when he wants to be a knight so badly and suddenly people are dangling knighthood and new armour under his nose , he might decide to forget any misgivings he may have had.

77. FacelessMan
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

A man finds he likes subtlety better than bright, flamboyant coloring. A man is pleased with his look.

78. Suzaku
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Also, since the photo is pretty washed-out, I did some color correction in photoshop (auto color, auto contrast, auto levels, increased color saturation).

Color Corrected Photo

79. zerowolf
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Oh Dear – it’s the Elvis is living with Hitler in Brazil brigade.If Forel lived then that would probably mean that Mervyn Trant died – which he clearly didn’t – so bang goes that theory.Unless,of course, Trant and his men had a change of heart and let him off.
    Stick to the story that’s laid out in the books and series and stop making up your own.

Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Knurk, Access Hollywood has an exclusivity window of 24 hours, so a hi-res version should be coming from HBO tomorrow.

I really don’t understand why HBO gives sites like EW and AH exclusives when they consistently release crappy lo-res versions of their exclusive trailers and photos.

Suzaku, nice job! Looks great!

81. Shinyteapot
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Suzaku,

At a guess (only a guess!), perhaps Jaqen, in his Lyseni persona, had a mission and either completed it or was still working on it- for all we know he could have been spying on others in the black cells, or on Yoren and those travelling north. It’s fair to assume he was probably with the party going north out of choice. Perhaps he saw it as the safest way to get away. If so, once he changes his face he contacts his superior, passes on intelligence and is given a new job, in Oldtown.

82. the goat
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP: I am very disappointed that GRRM never addressed this issue directly or even indirectly, and that he has left it hanging for so long… guess this is one of the few writing flaws of the ASOIAF series.

What the hell are you talking about? There are tons of unanswered questions in the story, and Ser Hugh is at or near the very bottom of the list. I’d say its much more likely that your reading comprehension is flawed than GRRM’s writing.

Obsidian: Jaqen may be a better character , unless of course , he and Syrio are part of the same character..:).. And one has to ask , how the hell did a FM allow himself to be wasting away in the Black Cells ,disguised as a Lyseni sellsword (maybe for life , if Yoren hadn’t shown up ) when he actually had a mission in Oldtown ? Seems a bit counter productive.

And how do you know when exactly this Faceless Man took the role of Jaqen H’ghar, the Lyseni sellsword prisoner?

83. Ed
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

The answer is: Money. EW pays them.

Winter Is Coming:

Suzaku, nice job! Looks great!

84. The Rabbit
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Jaqen looks great!

85. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

the goat,

I’d say its much more likely that your reading comprehension is flawed

wow what’s up with the direct personal attack!?! I was just expressing my opinion! I am aware there are more unanswered questions, but I am currently re-watching the 1st season [still @ ep 5], and I believe this is chronologically the first unanswered question in the series…

86. Jenish
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Nic pic,
    and if any1 believes the S=J theory then i still believe that ‘reeds’ are THE gretest kept secret of the HBO

87. Viktor Marcus
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

userj: Seriously.And why is everyone so ‘fking obsessed with Syrio anyway???He’s a plot device, and cliche cardboard cutout.It’s like fantasy fans come to the series and they glomp onto the only characters that don’t break with typical fantasy tropes.This misses the whole point of asoiaf.grumblegrumble

Jaqen is a much better character than Syrio.Much darker, much more interesting.He’s not one of my favorites (he seems a little… super human), but at least he has moral flaws.The character would lose a lot if it turned out he was actually Syrio.

What makes Syrio a plot device and cliche cardboard cutout, pray tell?

88. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Well , you won’t like my answer..and my answer has evolved since I spouted off when ADwD first came out, but.. If J=S , I figure S , under some guise, was in KL for some purpose ( contract or espionage ), took the chance to get close to the Hand as S, while sussing out the new political situation,. After Ned’s downfall, had a bit of time, since he was going to WF temporarily anyway to follow up … so, caring for Arya, tagged along as one of Yoren’s ragged bunch, became Jaqen after J was probably killed in the fire . That’s just hitting the high points , without going into all the reasoning… If he’s not Syrio , it also seems a bit counter productive that he would become Jaqen at all. I’d think he’d want to stay away from the mayhem in the Riverlands , etc. and get to Oldtown to get on with it. I don’t think it’s at all certain that J was responsible for Balon ( Harrenhall seems very out of the way for one on his way to Oldtown. ) Anyway, the dwarf woman’s vision was ambiguous to me..was the Euron-crow on the FM’s shoulder symbolic of the one who took out the contract , or the victim of a future contract ? Dunno.

But of course , I don’t claim to know this ,it just makes reasonable sense, knowing only as much as GRRM has told us to this point. None of us can know the real story , yet.

89. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

zerowolf,

No , I don’t think that the only two possible outcomes would be that either one or the other of them wouldhave died. I think Trant and his men would want to cover up the fact that they couldn’t overcome one small swordsman. Syrio managed to overcome Trant’s men ,one way or another ..why not Trant? and if he is Jaqen ..it’s nip around the corner and change your appearance. Don’t you think it’s rather odd that when Cersei is commenting on the whereabouts of Arya ,later on , she says “the wretched dancing master ” interfered ? She still hadn’t been told what kind of lessons Arya was taking. Why not ?… And would the Lannisters spend a lot of time scouring KL for him ? No. He wasn’t a Stark retainer . In their eyes he was a lowly hireling , and if he came forward , his goose was cooked.

90. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

Why is it important to know exactly who it was?

The only answer I can possibly arrive at is that it’s not important at all. There are tons of things unanswered in the books, which makes it realistic. No one is around to care about Ser Hugh and the people that got him killed won’t be thinking about him since he was an insignificant pawn.

I remain with my opinion that explaining every little detail is patronizing the reader.

As for unanswered questions that appear before Ser Hugh, there are plenty. What are the Others doing? Who is Jon’s mother? Why was the Direwolf south of the Wall? The list goes on. There are various amounts of evidence to derive an answer from (just as there is with Ser Hugh) but none have been answered outright. If it was important, we would have been told.

91. Rygar
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Is there any way to fix all of the blackouts for spoilers when using a smartphone? Seriously, it is far too annoying to have to hit “quote” for every post I want to read that contains spoilers.

92. Conny Andersson
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

PLEASE don’t sink to that level. >_>

Draig:
    Jaqen looks amazing- FIRST!

93. Mimsy
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Nobody has the magical spoiler tag solution. Many of us have tried. :(

94. Nimble Dick
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Suzaku,

yes exactly

why would a faceless man be in the dungeon of the Red Keep?

My idea is that Verys was keeping him for a special time. he was tricked into being there
    UNLESS…..the faceless men are behind everything!!!!!!!!!!

95. Obsidian
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Nimble Dick,

I think it’s quite unlikely that a faceless man would be in the black cells. ( Well, not for any length of time, given their skills . ) Jaqen, Rorge and Biter had been in there well before Ned, and on a lower level .. from which people usually don’t come out again. Before they were thrown down there , no one had been deemed bad enough to be sent there for years and years. The gaoler thought they were even too bad to be useful on the wall. Yoren took them out of desperation , in spite of his advice. Not a handy place for anybody’s agent to be. They couldn’t count on Yoren turning up anytime soon , or taking them if he did. And if Varys had been granted a contract , I don’t think it would have allowed for the FM to while away weeks and maybe months before acting…perhaps dying of neglect in the meantime. ;)

Anyway, I like our Jaqen and can’t wait to see him in action and I’ll be watching carefully to see who Rorge throws the Axe to next , after Arya throws it to him , because if Jaqen got it last , I don’t think he would have had time to get out before the building collapsed…and he had no burns, no singed hair when he got to Harrenhall.

96. Rygar
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Mimsy,

Dude that really sucks. I can’t read any of the posts.

97. The Kingslayer
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Valar Morghulis!

98. KG
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Lars,

Oh, I have heard a multitude of stupider theories than that lol

99. Lina
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:08 am | Permalink

FYI: Spoiler-tagged for stuff from AFFC and ADWD.

With regards to Alleras: Doesn’t the text say that Sarella likes to challenge gender roles or people who tell her she can’t do stuff or something to that extent? Isn’t she also kind of bookish and curious? If those are true, there’s a good chance she just wants to be a maester in order to learn and prove she can do what any man can do.

But given that they’re the Martells, there’s got to be some added benefit to her being in the Citadel. Alleras seems to be working for Marwyn, who says the Citadel killed the dragons the last time around. He also says something about Maester Aemon being sent to the Wall when he should have been elevated to Archmaester, all due to his Targaryen blood. He rushes out to reach Dany before other maesters can, seemingly implying the others wish her harm. We know Doran Martell is one of the biggest Targ supporters out there, so it would make perfect sense if he sent his niece to do recon in a place where there may be a growing threat to Daenerys and/or Aegon.

Where Jaqen/the Alchemist fits into any of this, I’m not sure. I wonder, can you put Faceless Men in place with the possibility of a future hit assignment? I.e. could someone hire Jaqen to get in at the Citadel to find out what’s going on and then depending on what he learns, possibly assassinate someone? I’m just thinking, if the archmaesters are “anti-dragon” as Marwyn says, and by logical extension anti-Targ, maybe Illyrio hired a Faceless Man to keep an eye on them, and to possibly take them out if necessary. Illyrio would certainly have the money to hire him. And this is obviously assuming Jaqen and the Alchemist are one and the same.

I’m not saying I think that’s what Jaqen is doing in Westeros, but rather just letting stream of consciousness play out. I’m sure there are much more original, better-substantiated theories out there. I think Jaqen is doing an awful lot of wandering around Westeros, which makes it hard to pin him to a specific hit, motive or client. But I have faith we’ll see him again before the series ends, and I can’t wait! He’s one of the most intriguing characters I’ve ever come across in literature!

100. Joshua Taylor
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Oh boy, I got a good vibe about Tom as Jaquen now. I can see it.

Off topic but did anyone notice the Game of Thrones HBO facebook page link to this article? I almost gasped because I thought that Gillian Anderson was cast on the series because instead of the above image you see Gillian Anderson on the BAFTAs red carpet!

I remember in the early days of this site when she was being fan cast for Catelyn Stark….funny to think that if circumstances were different we’d still have Jennifer Ehle. But I love Michelle Fairley now, so much that I picture her when I read the books.

Anderson for Septa Lemore or Lady Dustin? The Green Grace?

101. Macha
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

Off topic, Actually G. Anderson for Lady Dustin would be quite a nice pick, although I actually had Lindsay Duncan in mind while reading ADwD. However, although I loved her interaction with Theon, she is quite a minor character for now, so I’m not even sure she’ll make it into the show.

PS: Jaquen looks fantastic, just as I expected. Can’t wait to see the pic in hi-res.

102. the goat
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Wow.

Really, just…….wow.

Did it ever occur to you, at any time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . or ever

ever ever….or possibly ever, that you maybe, could be . . . . . . . .possibly . . . . . . . . .

chasing the wrong man?

103. the goat
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Wow.

Really, just…….wow.

chasing the wrong man?

(editor’s note: this next paragraph is a quote of what Obsidian said, but the editing function fucked everything up. Anyway, this is Obsidian’s quote, and the following paragraph is my response. I’m sure that makes sense)

which is a perfect “role” for a faceless man to play, especially after he is freed. Once again I must ask you, how do you know this man? How do you know what happened after Arya saved him from the fire, and the time she met him again in Harrenhal? How do you know this man, who changes his faces, is the same man you knew before?

104. Jaqen H’ghar
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:45 am | Permalink

Every KILL in westeros is by a faceless men… or women…

even the others/white walkers are faceless men in disguise

WE RULE WESTEROS…

105. Rimshot
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Ash: HERP-DERP, Little more than extras

Little more than extras?

I know we aren’t in magazines or interviews and we don’t get credits on the show (even though 2nd Assistant standby greensman does) but without hard working extras often working 12-16 hour days, a show like GOT couldn’t exist so a little respect would be welcome.

(sorry, you pushed a button with that one)

106. Jéssica De Freitas Maciel
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Rimshot,

I cannot apologize for him, but I am sure that the majority here on wic.net knows and value all the love and hard work you guys put on the show.

107. GrandmaFunk
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

is that kind of expression or phrasing seen as negative in Ireland?

it’s not really a pejorative phrasing in North America…much like saying “they were just extras” doesn’t imply anything negative or diminutive about extras.

I sincerely doubt it was used negatively by the author.

108. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

GrandmaFunk:
    is that kind of expression or phrasing seen as negative in Ireland?

I sincerely doubt it was used negatively by the author.

Well then what’s the difference between “They were extras” and “They were just extras”? The “just”, just like the “little more than” ,has its meaning, and is definitelly pejorative…

109. GrandmaFunk
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

it’s just an expression.

see what I did there.

there’s no real difference in common usage between “it’s an expression” and “it’s just an expression”. ‘just’ is a filler word like ‘like’…it gets thrown around everywhere in casual speak and often doesn’t mean anything at all.

110. Obsidian
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

the goat,

Your reply shows why this is so difficult to discuss. I’ve never once said J must be S….period. When I learned of the theory , I approached it from the standpoint of …could this theory work ..if so , how ?

Of course I don’t know Jaqen ..no one except GRRM really does. I just say if he is S . I think the fire is the best place for S to take on the J persona. Before the fire, he would have the disadvantage of being shackled ( not much help to Arya , in an emergency ). If he’s not S but still a FM in the guise of J since the Red Keep, he’s allowed himself to get into a very powerless position ( time rotting in a dungeon and the prospect of being shackled all the way to the wall ).

Whoever he is , at Harrenhall , while Biter still has half healed burns all over his body, J has none. GRRM has Arya find him in a hot bath , not noticing any burns..and twice GRRM mentions his long healthy-looking hair ( no singing ). Yet Arya feels the shock and heat wave from the collapse of the building before she’s through the tunnel… So I think that Harrenhall Jaquen was not the same one who was caught in the fire. It’s very possible the original Jaqen didn’t make it.

Sure he could be someone else entirely ( well, the alchemist ) who took on the persona sometime in the intervening weeks, but if so , why ? and how ? ..and that would certainly not explain why he sought Arya out and treated her with so much solicitude and even tenderness. He wouldn’t even know who she was .

So I say, yes ,there could be another explanation … and I look forward to finding out who the Alchemist is , and what his motives are. In the meantime , there is a very possible way for S=J to work..so you can’t rule it out.

GRRM writes these things intentionally. If he’s not going to take the story that way, then it’s intended to mislead , either for a reason ..or just for fun.;) ( also a possibility )..But to say it’s entirely impossible, and hare-brained and stitched out of whole cloth , (as so many do ) ..I think is not being entirely open minded about it.

111. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

GrandmaFunk:
    Pau Soriano,

it’s just an expression.

see what I did there.

there’s no real difference in common usage between “it’s an expression” and “it’s just an expression”.‘just’ is a filler word like ‘like’…it gets thrown around everywhere in casual speak and often doesn’t mean anything at all.

Well the word “just” has many meanings, also when used as an adverb like you did, but “little more than” less so

I’m fairly possitive that is the case both in Ireland and in the US ;)

PS: And just for reference, here is the definition on the macmillan:

little more than
    “used for emphasizing that someone or something is not at all important or impressive”

112. HERP-DERP
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

but what does this have to do with “Game of Thrones”?

113. Pau Soriano
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Well herp, just that, imo, GoT extras are a little more than just extras ;)

Now say, what did ur last comment had to do with GoT??

114. Mirax
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

HERP-DERP,

Ash was saying that the people in the cart at the end of season one were extras, rather than the final actors officially cast in the role. Jaqen is supposed to have a rather striking appearance, which is why I’m assuming they decided to have that person be hooded, rather than show two different faces from one season to the next.

115. stephen
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

A man looks like a bad MF.

116. Thiago Slash
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

awesome Jaqen is awesome.

and I think that the theories here presented are completely possible.

117. CWS
    Posted April 24, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Shinyteapot,

I was pretty convinced it was simpler, he needed to be knighted and have armor for the joust, and the plan was always that he would not make it out… His gift of knighthood and armor just in time plus his pairing with the mountain is too much to be coincidence, Gregor had his number IMO.

118. CWS
    Posted April 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

another comment:

There is not enough info to even know that

a faceless man was captured and thrown into a black cell in KL, he could have made the switch virtually any time, hell he could have been in a position to know Arya handed Jaqen the axe, then assumed his guise anytime before HH

I HIGHLY doubt that (actually I think its absurd but the point needed to be made), but for anyone saying its impossible for a

FM to be captured and tossed into a black cell, I’d say its equally “impossible” for him to put himself at the mercy of a scared girl, and the chance of her having an axe handy…

He better keep his speech pattern too… his whole “the gods are not mocked” conversation is easily in my top 5 most badass moments in the books to date…

1. [...] the Entertainment Weekly cover story, and Access Hollywood’s first look at Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H’ghar, here are some more articles fans should check [...]

• WiC Live