Ratings steady for the second instalment
By Hear Me Roar on in News.

James Hibberd has an early Monday scoop on the episode 12 rating numbers:

For the second episode of season two, Game of Thrones ratings basically remained steady. Sunday’s hour delivered 3.8 million viewers compared to last week’s premiere numbers, which had 3.9 million viewers.

UPDATE: Deadline reports that 1.1 million viewers watched the 11 PM encore, bringing the total viewer number to 4.9 million for the night. This is less than the 6.3 million total for the premiere, however there was a third airing last week. Hibberd also reports that the total audience for the premiere has climbed to 7.5 million and is on track to easily surpass last season’s per episode average of 9.3 million.

Hear Me Roar: Whoa, nice! Early too, I did not have the time to start worrying about the numbers yet. A strong performance, virtually no drop from the premiere, which is especially good given the unfortunate trouble with the early episode two release (and the holiday weekend). Two strong episodes coming, according to the critics, which should help further consolidate the viewer numbers.

1. jkb
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

who would have thought ;p

2. UnRobb
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Great news.

Also first?

3. jkb
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

UnRobb,
    close but no cigar ;p

4. sunspear
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

What are the numbers for the eleven o’clock replay? I only got to see that one, and I imagine there are quite a few others like me.

5. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Should we start a pool on when HBO decides to renew this?

6. Kid
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

OMG! Episode leaked a week ago, and still 3.8 mil viewers?! O_o

7. bon
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Very since. I was worried that it will fall to 3.5 or so because of that early release…

Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

That’s fantastic, especially on Easter! I expected a definite drop.

9. Arthur
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

That’s awesome news! I think this last episode was even better. Hopefully people will start getting the hang and understanding all that’s going on and keep tuning in.

10. seras
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

11. Clob
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

We never got a week long number from HBO for the first week did we?

seras: i dunno, i’m a bit disappointed. i hoped it would go up, as the premier parties break down and become more individual viewers. boo.

The Nielsen people were probably at home and not at a party. I always imagine them as never-go-outside types. :P That’s why I’m curious about the week number.

12. G_Lee
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

13. Juice
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I think that only the fact that it was Easter could have had a much bigger negative impact than the leak on those ratings, so this is really great news.

14. SergioCQH
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Because Hibberd always rounds the numbers to the nearest 100,000, the actual difference could be anywhere from 10,000 fewer viewers to 100,000 fewer viewers.

15. DH87
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Plus it was a holiday weekend, which HBO used to dislike so much that until last year (and HBOGo) it didn’t air new episodes on holiday Sunday nights.
    Edit: I see we all added the Easter weekend component at the same time.

16. Josh
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

People expecting it to go up on a holiday weekend were kidding themselves.

And let’s face it, even if the numbers remain the same, that’s VERY VERY good and will mean the show is on-air for the foreseeable future.

I know we’re a pessimistic bunch, but this is all very good news.

17. Vanderhook
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak: Should we start a pool on when HBO decides to renew this?Also, can they renew and cut Dan & Dave? The sexposition is ruining my enjoyment.

18. Rukie44
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak,

Game of Thrones without D&D at this point would be like ASoIaF without George R.R. Martin. They’re the ones who fight for all of the detail in the show, and they’ve given the fans everything they could’ve hoped for in an adaptation.

19. Greatjon
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

G_Lee:

Not in my case. I never download anything, but I caved in and watched this episode early. I went ahead and watched it again when it aired, though.

This was the first time I’d ever been worried about the ratings, so I’m pretty happy to see it stay steady.

20. Kieran E
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I figured ratings would drop after the premiere as newbies found it hard to follow or not to their tastes, but that’s quite encouraging. The question is now if it becomes a trend or does goes the True Blood route and steadily rises despite a drop from ep 1 to 2,

21. Kieran E
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak,

It can be a bother, certainly, but at least we had some nudity this week without reams of exposition, which shows…progress?

In all seriousness, the overall quality remains high enough I don’t mind that much, so I hope they don’t change showrunners, but they’ve got to stop being so lazy with the sexposition, which I’ve even heard a writer on the show deny was a deliberate policy, which I don’t buy for a second. As long as there’s a point to it, and not just there as window dressing which wastes time, then I don’t mind.

22. julandro
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I am worried that those numbers have dropped. Not reassure me.

“Also, can they renew and cut Dan & Dave? The sexposition is ruining my enjoyment.”

I’m tired of complaints about the “sexposition” People are stupid, and not find out they are watching a show that talks about human bestiality. Purists who are uncomfortable watching the show with his family should move away “game of thrones.” When I watch the sex scenes always think it’s good because it enriches a story so wild. People fuck, kill, is the life of a brothel, etc. Do as you would have be shown? The example of Theon is necessary to show their sex scenes because it is actually a character with a more sinister side.

23. The Rabbit
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Woo-hoo!
    I predicted the certain drop. Easter and that early leak.

Now, give us the bloody greenlight! grrrrrrr! ;)

24. Knurk
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Nice, this follows the trend of us commenters not able to predict a ratingsdrop or rise. Very curious to next week’s ratings, also because I assume Hibberd will give us a number then how many people in total have watched episode 1.

25. oracle86
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Deadline has the scoop on the overall numbers:

“Last night’s second episode of Game of Thrones‘ second season drew 3.8 million viewers at 9 PM, retaining virtually all of the viewership for the HBO fantasy series’ second season premiere (3.9 million viewers), which was a series high. For the night, including the 11 PM encore, GOT averaged 4.9 million viewers. That is slightly higher than that 4.8 million viewers who watched the second season premiere at 9 PM and 11 PM last Sunday, though HBO also had a third airing at 10 PM then, bringing the total viewership for the night to 6.3 million”

26. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak,
    If it wasn’t for David and Dan we wouldn’t have the show, boy ! How about you shut up .

27. Josh
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Vanderhook: Get rid of Dan and Dave?! You best be trollin. I think there would be much, much worse things than gratuitous sex scenes if anyone else besides those two were at the helm of this show.

Oh he be trollin’. I hope Dan and Dave are in it for the long haul!

28. julandro
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Oh he be trollin’. I hope Dan and Dave are in it for the long haul

+ 1000

29. Virtus
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

julandro:
    I am worried that those numbers have dropped. Not reassure me.

The ratings are counted from 20,000 Nielsen households and not all of them even have HBO. So a difference of 100,000 or less is marginal.

30. Superdeluxe
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

You understand without D&D there would be no game of thrones on television right?

SerCountryFriedSteak,

Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Updated the post with some new info:

32. Bigby Wolf
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Just want to say that I agree. I was complaining last year about the rushed feeling but compared to this season, season 1 was great. Hint: First you have to make people love the characters (not the actors but the characters). THEN you make the world around them be disgusting. They are getting the second part down, but unfortunately the only character that anyone cares about this season is Ros who is just gross.

33. Alwyn Joseph
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Happy about the show maintaining the same amount of viewers however the episode was disappointing.
    I hope it doesn’t affect next weeks ratings too much :]

34. Michael Harper
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I dunno if I’m being a pain in the ass, but is there any way you could tell me what the ratings were for Season 1 – the full ratings, for example season 1 per episode average being 9.3 million?

Or, do you not know the actual ratings?

I’m doing an essay on TV ratings for college, and wanted to use Game of Thrones!

Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Michael Harper, I’m not sure what you are asking….

HBO has calculated that the average viewer per episode last season, counting views on TV, HBOGO and On Demand, to be 9.3 million.

If you want to know how each episode last season performed according Nielsen, then just look through our ratings tag and you can find all the relevant numbers.

36. Knurk
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

37. Solar
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Bigby Wolf,

no one cares about Ros.

38. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Great news. I enjoyed the episode. Probably because I’m not completely anal about how how certain characters look(Yara) and I understand that this is an adaptation, not a word for word re-telling of the books. David and Dan have the next to impossible task of trying to bring a series to the screen that was written to be ‘unproducable’ by GRRM.

39. Lane
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak, are you crazy….are you trying to screw this up? Get over the sex position. Its hbo, & george rr martin. Go watch the disney channel!

40. Steven Swanson
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

The only sexposition in this episode happened in the books as well, Theon’s interaction with the captain’s daughter. Unless you’re counting the very brief scenes in the brothel?

41. Steven Swanson
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

G_Lee: Well those who watched the leaked episode are people who download generally so they would’ve never watched it on HBO in the first place.

42. jkb
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak: Also, can they renew and cut Dan & Dave?

how about we cut off your manhood and feed it to the goats instead?

43. sjwenings
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Hmm, if you look at the total numbers there’s not that huge a difference with last year. Episode 101 had 6.8 million total viewers after episode 102 aired, and now episode 201 has 7.5 million after this week’s episode.

Interesting. How to explain this? Seems weird that ep 101 would start out at 2.2 for first airing, and 201 with 3.9 (a huge upswing), yet in the end, it turns out to be a rather modest increase?

Hey, GOT is still growing and it’s still HBOs second biggest show right now, but this is curious and puts things into perspective.

44. Maxwell James
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

That’s less of a bump than I would have expected as well.

At the same time, it makes some sense. The first season premiere is where a lot of casual viewers would have decided to get off the boat. And IIRC, they played the hell out of it during the first week last year, much more so than this year. So it probably had the highest total viewership of any episode.

Question is if there will be a similar effect this year. I doubt it, but time will tell.

45. Virtus
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

But numbers are still increasing, right: from HBO GO viewers?

46. RitariKnight
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Steven Swanson: Not true, I and many other people watched it early just because we could, and then I watched it again on HBO last night.

Yeah, I’m sure many did that, but only Nielsen households affect ratings, so unless you live in one, your watching or not watching it on HBO won’t affect the ratings the slightest. And that goes for everybody else.

The initial airing rating was pretty much what I predicted. I thought it would probably stay close to what the premiere had, might even go down a bit but no way would it be higher than the premiere. The more important figure in that EW article is that 7.5 million figure for the premiere episode for it’s first week. That means that after the first three airings which had a combined rating of 6.3 million, another 1.2 million unique viewers have watched the episode on HBO during the first week. This is known because that number comes from Nielsen and not HBO. We don’t yet know how many viewers the episode has had on HBO Go, for instance, but I’m sure HBO knows and we’ll probably find out eventually what the final full viewer number for that episode is/was. But that will not come out for a long time yet.

47. greymouser
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Gah! The wait for the renewal announcement is killing me. I’m fairly certain it’s due to logistics (either trying to figure out a multi-season future commitment or else just waiting in order to built the anticipation). I’m almost paranoid enough to believe that HBO is holding off on a renewal in order to make the show seem like it’s in danger, prompting its desperate viewers to keep tuning in or else risk the whole thing going under. Or maybe the show really is in danger (despite the numerous “keep calm” messages I’ve read, indicating that the show is lucrative and prestigious enough for HBO to hold onto). Sigh. I don’t know.

48. Maxwell James
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Here’s part of it – from last year’s premiere ratings post:

“UPDATE: James Hibberd provides an update: an additional 1.2 million people watched Game of Thrones during Monday repeat airings. This brings the direct viewing number to the total of 5.4 million.”

Was GoT even on HBO last Monday?

49. Richard
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Let’s get moving on Season 3 and 4 already, the earlier, the better.

50. Nagga's Kin
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Bigby Wolf:
    [...] unfortunately the only character that anyone cares about this season is Ros who is just gross.

Solar:
    Bigby Wolf,

no one cares about Ros.

Lots of people care very much about Tyrion, Cersei, Littlefinger, Arya, Jon, Davos, Balon and many, many others. Melisandre and Yara will come into their own soon enough, as will Brienne.

Ros hasn’t even been nude this year and she’s no longer a happy hooker, so I don’t get the “gross” comment. While opinions differ on Esme Bianco’s acting chops, there appears to be a growing consensus that the scenes she is in are simply way too frequent and/or long. A character’s screen time ought to be roughly proportional to his/her relevance to character and plot development. In Ros’ case, the ratio seems wildly out of whack, to the detriment of GRRM’s carefully crafted protagonists (whose scenes feel rushed) and myriad beloved sidekicks (who got axed). Episode 12′s LF/Ros scene clocked in at 4 minutes 30 seconds – almost 10% of total screen time for the episode – of her crying and him being cartoonishly evil once again. Honestly, all that was missing was his pinky near the corner of his mouth.

If Ros were a genuinely interesting addition to GRRM’s world, she would give book readers something fresh to look forward to each week and D&D more wiggle room in their adaptation. As it is, she’s passive and boring. We know virtually nothing about her thoughts or ambitions. Nice tits but that’s about it. Not good enough, writers! Use her or lose her.

51. Michael Harper
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

I was just looking for what the ratings were for each episode of Season 1, but I’ve found them now. Thanks anyway! :)

52. Ashaïese
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

greymouser,

No need to worry because:
    - GoT is a worldwide bestseller
    - season 2 is apparently holding strong in the US
    - GoT embodies HBO’s Renaissance after its Golden Age with the Sopranos
    - the first two reasons bring cash
    - the third brings fame
    - HBO’s directors are no fools (probably)

53. Damián Erro
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

they’ll be renewed after the season premiere they said.. 2 eps and still no news about that?

Posted April 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Knurk:

According to Hibberd, that 7.5 million number comes from HBO and is based on “minimal data available.” Perhaps they had more complete data last year at this time, when they reported the 6.8 million?

At any rate, HBO also says they are on pace to easily surpass last season’s 9.3 million per episode average, so I don’t think we need to worry.

55. Knurk
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

yeah, I’m not worrying but I did find it strange that the gap was significantly smaller than the 9 PM ratings gap. I’m assuming your little birds are trustworthy when HBO says it’ll easily surpass the 9.3 million, but I wonder how they define easily (by a million perhaps?).

56. anspringgirl
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

My friends and I enjoy every episode of Game of Thrones. Every single one. So much so that we made our own panel show just to be able to talk of thrones )))

57. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

58. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

It’s important to note that the figure of 9.3 million total viewers per episode wasn’t established until well after the season had finished airing (according to my admittedly quasi-reliable memory, anyway), so for the show to already have a gross viewing (of the premiere, at least) roughly 7.5 million is impressive indeed, given it’s only been a week since the initial airing. Those figures will undoubtedly increase as people who subscribe to HBO for True Blood/The Newsroom/Boardwalk Empire/ Tremè check the series out OnDemand or through HBO Go. Seriously people, the sky is not falling – renewal is imminent. It is known.

59. Ashaïese
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Damián Erro,

GRRM has not posted on “Not a Blog” since March 29th, 2 days before the season premiere.
    No word from HBO either…
    So if I should make a guess, I’d say that they are either planning some big announcement, either in sharp negociations, either both…

60. jkb
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Pastor_of_Muppets
    renewal is imminent. It is known.

it is known.

61. jkb
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Damián Erro

my guess would be they’re negotiating renewing just s3 vs. s3+s4

62. dizzy_34
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Mad Men would like to have those numbers. Just to put all this in context.

63. Elena Amici
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

jkb: how about we cut off your manhood and feed it to the goats instead?

this has to be one of the most epic-est wins I’ve ever seen, ever. I made a stamp of the page and I saved on my PC, just in case :D

Anyway… I haven’t been able to watch the episode yet, because there’s no HBO here and my internet is going really, really slow. I’m really happy for the ratings though – for what I remember Easter isn’t that big of a holiday in the US, but it’s a holday neverthless, and I was expecting a bigger drop. I’m not sure, but I think there was a slighly bigger drop between eps 1 and 2 last year as well (i think it was .2 mln or something) and then the ratings started to go up. I hope in something similar this year..

64. Elena Amici
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34:
    Mad Men would like to have those numbers. Just to put all this in context.

yep, but mad men’s got all those pretty emmys, GOT is still in fantasy ghetto..

65. RitariKnight
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: According to Hibberd, that 7.5 million number comes from HBO and is based on “minimal data available.”

That’s a bit surprising. I would not have thought HBO to release any numbers yet. But, since it’s based on “minimal data available” I’m guessing that means Nielsen is the original source of that “minimal data”, and that extra 1.2 million viewers comes from repeat airings of the episode on HBO during the week and therefore does not include any online figures.

66. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Pastor_of_Muppets:

Also, the 7.5 million figure does not include HBOGO or ON DEMAND viewership. I expect the average viewership across all platforms to be 11-13 million per episode.

67. More Rice Cooks
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

dizzy_34,

They’re entirely different shows, hard to compare. Although it is interesting that GoT’s second season ratings actually compete and top a lot of cable shows that reach far more households.

68. Clob
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap: Knurk, HBO replayed the series premier just about every night of the week last year. The fact that it saw a jump of nearly a million more viewers is very good.

It’s definately not difficult to watch the episodes. I see it’s listed on one HBO channel or another every night through Saturday this week. Then there’s On Demand and HBO GO for whenever a person wants to watch. There really is nothing to press people into watching every episode premiere besides just plain “hugefandomness” and the inability to wait longer than the minimum to see the the next episode.

69. Knurk
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap: Also, the 7.5 million figure does not include HBOGO or ON DEMAND viewership.

oh yeah, where did you read this?

Pastor_of_Muppets: It’s important to note that the figure of 9.3 million total viewers per episode wasn’t established until well after the season had finished airing (according to my admittedly quasi-reliable memory, anyway), so for the show to already have a gross viewing (of the premiere, at least) roughly 7.5 million is impressive indeed, given it’s only been a week since the initial airing.

as I said, last year’s first episode had 6.8 million at this stage, so that’s probably the number you should be comparing it to. By episode 3 (two weeks), the pilot had reached 8.7 million.

70. Mike Chair
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Pastor_of_Muppets: renewal is imminent. It is known.

jkb: it is known.

A man has a thirst … for Season 3

71. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Knurk: oh yeah, where did you read this?

72. funlight
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Great! I expected a bigger drop, so this is definitely good news.

73. Morrigan
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I figured there’d be a drop in ratings since a) the episode was leaked early and b) it aired on Easter. If they are steady, that’s pretty good news, I’d say.

74. Zack
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

These ratings are high enough that all I can ask is where the hell is the news about Season 3 being greenlit, dammit!

75. Alan
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Morrigan:
    I figured there’dbe a drop in ratings since a) the episode was leaked early and b) it aired on Easter. If they are steady, that’s pretty good news, I’d say.

They’re not good writers? Really? They’ve written the vast majority of the episodes. No adaptation is flawless, but for something that is taking 1,000 pages into 10 hours, it’s been exceptional.

Has anyone seen Legend of the Seeker? Or the Harry Dresden stories? Or the Harry Potters, which went so literal for several movies they forget to make it interesting? Or to get out of fantasy/sci fi, how about Simon Birch? 90+% of adaptations are tremendously unfulfilling, and a book of this size and complexity is incredibly difficult.

Dan and Dave have done a very good job, and they are good writers. The internet and the current comment culture have made a bunch of people who read tv tropes and parrot “show don’t tell” self-proclaimed experts in writing. You’re not, and you’re embarrassing yourself when you claim you are.

76. Franny_Bee
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin: Nice tits but that’s about it.

I disagree even on that point. ‘Well-demonstrated’ is a more accurate descriptor for Ros’ assets ;) Still waiting to see if there is more to her and LF than what we’ve seen 2 eps into season 2. LF is getting somewhat character-assassinated imho. He was so nuanced! Now he’s The Claw from Inspector Gadget. All he needs is a rocket-plane and a cat…

Still doesn’t stop me from absolutely loving the show though!

77. Elena Amici
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Morrigan: And while I’m grateful to D&D for even making it possible, the fact remains that they are not good writers and it’s time they drop their Ros fanfiction. She’s a perfect example of The Scrappy and Creator’s Pet.

Come on, this is overstating it. They just kept around a character they developed for sexposition purposes last year. I haven’t watched ep 12 yet, but IMO Ros’s role in ep 11 wasn’t that big or out of place. Truth be told, I felt like a proud parent on his kid’s graduation day. I was like “Wow, little Ros is the one ruling the place! She really god far, she can actually keep her clothes on this season”.
    Also, I have this idea that Ros is going to be TV!Alayaya, so she’s not that useless

PS: Was it you that added Ros to the list in “The Scrappy” TVtropes page? LOL Because somebody did it in the last 18 hours and you’re the one who linked the page. If it was you.. kudos! I mean, that was quick.. :D

PS2: Also.. D&D not good writers? They wrote almost all of season 1 and that was pretty damn good

78. Mike Chair
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Morrigan: it’s time they drop their Ros fanfiction. She’s a perfect example of The Scrappy and Creator’s Pet.

Oh yes! She’s definitely some amalgam or derivative of those. Perhaps D&D&HBO have created a whole new class of character:

The Ros. Defined as a Premium TV series character, unnecessary to the plot and introduced solely to address the creators’ misguided notions of erotic “entertainment.”

Yes. She shall henceforth be known as, “The Ros.”

79. the goat
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

OT, check out this pic Finn tweeted of Kit, Gwen & Joe!

80. tysnow
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin,

Kudos! This sums up Ros better than any I have heard on these boards. I really hope Ros will be missing from at least half or more of this seasons episodes. Afterall Robb, Cat, Joff, Sansa, Hound and Bran/Rickon/Osha/Luwin/Hodor were not even in this episode. They are way more fucking important to this series than Ros. If D&D keep showing her every damn episode while excluding the main/supporting characters that move the plot forward, I just might pay a personal visit to one or more in between seasons.
    Don’t get me wrong D&D I enjoyed most of Ros’s scenes, it is just that the other characters are more important and therefore they should be in all if not almost all the episodes while Ros should maybe be in 3 or 4 episodes total.

81. Ducky
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Nice that the ratings held up – I was expecting them to be worse because of the Easter holiday weekend.

82. Hi-Fi
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

the goat:
    OT, check out this pic Finn tweeted of Kit, Gwen & Joe!

I’m in love with everyone in that pic.

83. Elena Amici
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

tysnow: Ros should maybe be in 3 or 4 episodes total

and she’s probably going to be, don’t worry. The fact that she was in eps 1 and 2 doesn’t mean she’s gonna be in all of the other 8. Seriously people, ..you’re making Ros more important than she is, relax!

84. Mimsy
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

the goat,

I have a problem with that twit pic.. I can’t make it big enough to please me. Woah! Gwen is aaawwweesome! Check out Gendry’s muscles! Psh! Doubters! Oh, my pretty boy, Jon. *sigh*

85. SergioCQH
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

The people who complain about Ros really are clueless. Ros has never been in a scene that focused on her. Any time that the show spends with Ros is actually time spent on on another, more important character. In Season 1, Ros was used to introduce Tyrion and develop Theon and Littlefinger. In Season 2 so far, Ros has been in one scene that developed Joffrey and Cersei (the infanticide scene) and another scene which was focused on developing Littlefinger.

If you think the show has “wasted” time on Ros, then you’re blinding yourself with hatred for Ros and not being able to see that these scenes are actually focused on anyone or anything else BUT Ros. She’s just window dressing.

86. Arthur

Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Brienne.

89. Arthur
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

Thanks, wow she looks really hot there. I should have guessed because her height but I just thought there were stairs or something.

90. DH87
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH,

91. lonas
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Proooooomo for the What Is Dead May Never Die” !!!!! Looks awesome!!

92. Dreamlife
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

These are good numbers that I am proud of. I just hope this is enough for renewal. I think it should be. I hope we find out soon that is has been renewed.

93. Mimsy
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I see Hi-Fi answered you. Yep, it’s the incredible Brienne. Totally looking forward to seeing her next week. :)

94. SergioCQH
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

DH87: SergioCQH, The criticism has two separate components: the relevance and effectiveness of the character (compared to what other characters could or would do in the GRRM universe) and the success/failure of the actor’s performance. If so many of us “Ros/Bianco” complainers are “clueless,” how successful can be the character or the actor? If we are so clueless, shouldn’t we be equally confused about all other elements of the story? Or perhaps we get together between episodes and organize our dissent until we’ve created an international tidal wave of unhappiness? We also seem to be all over Facebook, Entertainment Weekly, Vulture.com, and other show-related websites. We are on our way to world domination!The argument has been made by me and by others that the GOT world doesn’t need “window dressing.” It is chock full of characters with dialogue that can do all the heavy lifting quite nicely. This character is an example of showrunner hubris and is either a one-off mistake or a harbinger of derailment to come.

You’re clueless because you fail to realize that the needs of a TV show differ from those of a novel. A TV show needs to keep its major characters in play constantly. Littlefinger is a very important character in the novels, but he’s almost always off screen. The show needs to keep Littlefinger on screen, otherwise audiences will forget about him and then go “WTF?!” when he suddenly pops up and does something important.

How does the TV show keep a player like Littlefinger on screen? By using some technique that is of no consequence except that it allows Littlefinger to remain on screen. This is where the Ros haters lose sight of the big picture: Ros is merely an inconsequential tool that is used to keep Littlefinger on screen. The Ros haters complain that she takes away screen time from other, more important characters. But that’s a ridiculous argument when you realize her function. Would you want the writers to make up a scene where Littlefinger drops in on Robb at his camp, or visits Dany in the Red Waste, or participates in Stannis’ war council?

TLDR version: Ros does NOT take away screen time from other characters. It’s Littlefinger that is taking away screen time. Ros just happens to be there when he does it.

95. Knurk
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap: The numbers were compiled by Nielsen. They only measure unique TV viewers, not online or On Demand. HBO usually doesn’t release HBO GO or On Demand viewership totals until much later.

buttttt James Hibberd released the 6.8 million number (in which he did say HBO Go and HBO On Demand were counted) at the exact same time last year, so I don’t know where you get your ideas from except if you have read any other news reports than I have? WiC did say he heard from HBO these numbers are based on minimal sources, so maybe it’s true but you have absolutely no argument to claim you know for sure these numbers don’t include DVR, HBO Go and On Demand.

Also: I’d like to point out the ratings for episode 7 last year also stayed steady under similar circumstances: the episode was released early on HBO Go and it was aired on a holiday. If it follows the same path, we can see an increase of 10% for next week.

96. DH87
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH,

Oh, and if the brothel scene is designed to focus on “developing” Littlefinger, it has had the unfortunate result of proving that, rather than GRRM’s nuanced man of manipulation, GOT’s Littlefinger is no smarter than Ned Stark or anyone else who has telegraphed his intentions via threats, letters, or other voluntary information dumps to untrustworthy individuals in Kings Landing. In S1, Littlefinger divulges his innermost thoughts to this stranger (Ros) despite knowing that the walls have eyes and ears. In S2, he has now threatened this same woman, knowing there are factions willing to trade/buy info about him, including the Queen who just threatened him, the eunuch he just insulted, and the lunatic boy king who has plunged the kingdom into warfare on five fronts. Cool move.

97. Coltaine777
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

DH87:
    SergioCQH,

It is known ! …..

98. Knurk
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Also, during later episodes there were numerous reports all episodes with On Demand, HBO Go, and DVR accumulated averaged 8.3 million viewers. So probably after the season completed the show gained another million viewers. I wonder if we can count on an extra million viewers when the season has finished, if there are enough new people to round up after two finished seasons.

99. Arthur
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I also hate everything Ros but I have excepted it. This is a D&D adaptation and if they want this epic tale to be called…

A Game of Thrones, A Song of Ice and Fire… And a Whore Named Ros.

Then that’s their choice. Though I still get upset when I see her, as long as I don’t have to watch her wipe her ass or play with someone else’s ass then it is a win.

I hope they kill her off, I really do. But until then she is just something we have to deal with. She is like a long hair found in your meal or a fly floating in your soup… Just remove her quickly and try to enjoy the show…..

100. DH87
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

SergioCQH,

Interestingly, the showrunners saw no need to keep the “very important” Robb Stark, Jaime Lannister, Cat Stark, Tywin Lannister, et al. on screen in this episode. Are they not so “important” as Littlefinger or are they so much more integral to the plot that we TV dullards don’t risk forgetting them if they don’t make an appearance every week?

101. DH87
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Arthur,
    Arthur, I bow down, then arise to humbly announce the new revised episode listing.

Episode 13: “Ros Is Happy Again with Her Dress Off”
    Episode 14: “Ros Suns Herself Topless During the Last Days of Summer”
    Episode: 15: “Stuff Happens Elsewhere, Then Ros Joins the Small Council”
    Episode 16: “Ros Hears Something Important and Tells Littlefinger”
    Episode 17: “Ros Travels to the Iron Islands to Bed Theon”
    Episode 18: “Ros Bags King Stannis”
    Episode 19: “Something Scary Happens in the Woods, but Ros is OK”

102. Arthur
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

DH87,

You forget the “Ros Tells Tyrion Where Whores Go” secret episode you can only unlock by watching all the others on HBO GO!!!

103. DH87
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

Indeed! Thank you.
    What we didn’t realize til now is that both the “R”s in GRRM’s name stand for “Ros.”

104. Steven Swanson
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

DH87:
    SergioCQH,

So your problem isn’t with Ros, it’s with the way-too-obvious portrayal of Littlefinger. And on that I can agree with you, I prefer his apparently harmless smartass role he plays in the books, so his later prominence catches you by surprise.

But he’s a different character on the show version, and that’s just the way it is.

105. JamesL
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

The reason why the pilot last year had 6.8m by the time the 2nd episode aired is because HBO replayed it a lot more than the season 2 premiere. The monday after the pilot premiered they aired it on every HBO channel multiple times and they did the same for the Boardwalk Empire and Luck pilots. Lots of people who watched the pilot most likely never watched again. Now for season 2 the 7.5m who have watched the season 2 premiere are most likely hooked on the show and will be watching every episode. The audience has definitely grown since season 1 which is why the first 2 episode of season 1 got 2.2m and the first 2 of season 2 got 3.8m.

106. Long Ball Larry
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

yea…ros is, right now, just a tool for portraying LF…later in the series i expect she will take on the significance of other characters from the books (like Alayaya), so that, in a show that is already introducing new characters continuously, the number can at least be reduced a bit. seems pretty obvious. message board screen writers are pretty annoying.

107. DH87
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Steven Swanson,

No, my primary problem is with Ros/Bianco; I was simply trying to counter Sergio’s point that Ros was sucking up time in the service of Littlefinger’s character development and therefore wasn’t a complete waste of hard-to-come by screen time. My argument is that these scenes are doubly damaging—-raiding the other story lines and undercutting the Littlefinger character at the same time.

I’m not a purist—I’m very glad to see every minute carved out for Robb Stark since (1) he was given short shrift by GRRM (his choice, his call); (2) Richard Madden is doing a great job with the character; and (3) Madden provides some much needed hunky-ness for HBO’s lady viewers. It would also be different if we were talking about Momoa, who was a fan favorite, by all accounts a pretty terrific Drogo, and as big a loss from strictly an audience point of view as was Bean. I could easily justify some finessing of the Drogo storyline for those reasons alone.

And no matter what your views are on Littlefinger or on Ros, you can’t get beyond D&D’s candid acknowledgment that they wanted to think up stuff for Bianco to do because they liked her personally. Fatal error in a show already populated with strong accomplished players who are getting next to no screen time.

108. Carey Tran
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

The idea that Littlefinger is being undercut as a character is pretty laughable. Littlefinger is two dimensional in the books, where he is just as much an omniscient enigma as Varys. While the show has kept Varys an enigma, the writers evidently decided that Littlefinger needed to be more fleshed out. And when any human being is fleshed out, their mystique is stripped away. It is inevitable. As for whether or not Littlefinger would spill his inner thoughts to a whore, that is a more palatable option than having Littlefinger spill the beans to the other major players.

109. David
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

How many people stole this online because the Euro release? And is the reason they haven’t announced a third season is because they are still trying to sign all the actors for back to back filming of season 3 and 4? Any thoughts?

110. Robert
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

If people have strong emotional reactions to Ros being in a brief scene, they need some perspective.

111. The Kingslayer
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

I was wondering do DVR recordings feature into ratings ? I rarely watch shows live to avoid commercials here in the UK.

112. Greatjon
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Robert:

She had, what, one line in the last episode? Maybe two? The she-devil!

It’s pretty silly at this point. Ros plays the same exact role to Littlefinger that Doreah does to Daenerys, Shae to Tyrion, Osha to Bran, etc. They are smaller roles meant for larger characters to infodump on. The only difference between any of them is that Ros is a D&D creation, although it would probably be fairer to say that she’s a combination of some lesser GRRM characters. But all of those characters – including Ros – are minor and periphery, neither especially loved or especially hated outside of the book fandom.

113. Cyn
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

I mourn all screen time lost to Ros as much as the next obsessive fan, but I’ll even admit that her boobs (and all the others), are partly responsible for the high ratings, and thus I secretly thank them.

114. The Kingslayer
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

The hate for Ros is ridiculous, but then again I understand people’s anger when ep 2 didn’t feature Bran, Rob, Sansa or Cat.

115. tysnow
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

According to Rentrak, GoT actually increased it’s sales and ranking from week 3 to week 4, for combined DVD/BR sales. Though exact numbers and dollars are not provided.

WEEK 3

WEEK 4

116. gswelcome
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer:
    The hate for Ros is ridiculous,but then again I understand people’s anger when ep 2 didn’t feature Bran, Rob, Sansa or Cat.

117. Dogmayor
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:02 am | Permalink

To all those worried about the renewal, season 3 of Boardwalk Empire and season 3 of Treme were not announced until a few days after their 3rd episodes premiered, so in my estimation we can expect the same for GoT.

118. Carey Tran
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Those who do not like Ros: If you don’t want to see her more of Ros, best keep your complaints quiet. It seems as if David and Dan are quite capable of giving her critics the middle finger by including even more scenes of her. Your vocal complaints may actually be having the opposite of your desired effect.

119. tysnow
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Messed up with week 4 Rentrak rankings, hopefully this works.

WEEK 4

120. Steven Swanson
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Carey Tran:

I thought her scene in the first episode was definitely meant to mess with a certain portion of the audience. I mean word-for-word reciting the instructions that Littlefinger gave her in probably the most controversial scene in the first season? Not an accident.

And whether or not they meant it that way, I like to think they did, because it’s pretty funny.

121. DH87
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Carey Tran,

Even if D&D had the contrarian reaction you envision, the HBO suits didn’t get where they are today by giving the one-fingered salute to their viewers/subscribers. The HBO bigwigs would be entirely within their rights to pass along fans’ enthusiasm for—or objection to—an actor in the form of the infamous “notes.” HBO signs off on the lead actors who are cast, the major guest stars, and each shooting script down to the last comma. HBO interns also monitor fan sites, including this one.

Oh, and since HBO pays the bills, when HBO talks, D&D listen.

122. DH87
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:40 am | Permalink

Cyn,

Drawing male viewers isn’t the problem with this show, attracting female viewers is. Check the Internet response among women to the “excessive” female nudity on GOT, Bianco’s or otherwise: not positive overall.

123. MW
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:53 am | Permalink

gswelcome: and i think people defending her is ridiculous guess we’ll just have to disagree, personally I hope she dies ASAP

I only hope she dies so the people in this thread will shut up about her.

124. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:53 am | Permalink

DH87,

I doubt those women have a problem with True Blood. So long as the men are the sex objects it’s okay. The whole show consists of Alexander Skarsgard naked and the werewolf dude naked.

125. Nagga's Kin
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 1:22 am | Permalink

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’ve decided I’ve said my piece on what the writers have done with Ros to date and I’m going to leave it at that. At this point, there’s nothing D&D can do about at least the next 4-5 episodes, as those are already out of post-production. By that time, her character arc may anyhow have morphed, possibly rendering the complaints moot.

Thank you for indulging my pet peeve over the past couple of weeks.

</rosgate>

I’m getting back to appreciating what the producers have done really well, which is virtually all of the rest! I mean, how lucky are we to have a network that is willing to place a big, expensive bet on this sprawling fantasy saga and hire so many talented artists dedicated to making the it come to life?

126. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 1:25 am | Permalink

DH87, you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about with regards to how HBO operates. They are beyond lax compared to every single other network when it comes to allowing the people who run the show to, well, run the show. The amount of creative freedom allowed to the show runners is unparalleled in television (and probably most films, at that). That’s not to say that they don’t like to ensure their investments pay out for them, but you’re making it sound like an environment more akin to what network television would be.

127. Scholesy
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink

What I find odd about the Ros haters is that they act as if she was gone, her screen time would go somewhere else. As if every episode is 55+ minutes. The truth is each characters arc has been crafted in a very deliberate manner. Get rid of the Ros bits and what you end up with is a shorter episode, not replacement scenes.

I agree that major players scenes run by incredibly fast at times, but that is down to the structure of the show, not one additional character. Last season, the presence of Ned alleviated this problem quite a bit. He was the center in which everyone revolved, but now that he is gone the show has no center. Getting a 3 mins scene of a character each week just doesn’t work.

We need Tony Soprano. Theoretically it could be Jon and/or Robb, but neither has enough to do this season, much less enough interaction with everyone else for it to work.

The show would be better off sticking with 4 or 5 major characters each episode and just letting the others go missing for a week or two. If you are going to tell Dany, Stannis or Jon’s story, give up 10-15 mins with them that episode.

I already get the feeling that Blackwater is easily going to be the best episode this season because the narrative won’t feel like a checklist.

128. Greatjon
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Scholesy,

I agree with this completely and it’s been my one and only complaint about the show from day one. There are just too many stories and too many characters to focus on for a 10 episode season. You just can’t cover them all. It seems unlikely at this point, but I’m going to hope against hope that they choose to go to 12 episodes for next season and beyond.

129. darquemode
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 2:00 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer,

Ros is irrelevant to Bran, Robb, Cat and Sansa not being in the episode frankly. As the series moves on there will be more and more episodes that are missing more and more characters. There are simply too many places and people right now to have them all in one 60-minute episode…. and it will only get worse in the next few seasons – with or without Ros.

130. Scholesy
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Greatjon:
    Scholesy,

I agree with this completely and it’s been my one and only complaint about the show from day one.There are just too many stories and too many characters to focus on for a 10 episode season.You just can’t cover them all.It seems unlikely at this point, but I’m going to hope against hope that they choose to go to 12 episodes for next season and beyond.

I think the episode count is fine, especially if they split ASOS. They have around 9 hours to tell a thrilling, complex story. The books may have many pages, but a lot of what GRRM has written is pretty superfluous and feels like killing time. Some would say that AFFC is just one long pause between ASOS and ADWD.

I feel it is just a question of piecing the narrative in a way that it doesn’t feel so scatter shot. They should of put all the Stannis/Mel scenes in the first episode.

131. Scholesy
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 2:06 am | Permalink

darquemode:
    The Kingslayer,

Agreed. Which is why I feel the show should be the Stark children featuring Tyrion, Stannis/Mel, and Dany.

132. Petter Kristian Vikestad
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 3:05 am | Permalink

This is a good episode for leaving out Robb and Cat, since Cat is travelling to Renly’s camp. Enough with the endless crying already.

133. Alexander Dubrovsky
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 3:21 am | Permalink

The show has 23 people with “starring” credit and God knows how many guest stars and featured extras. This season, it has 7 or 8 story lines going on at the same time, 2 of them have almost no connection to the others (Jon and Dany). It is impossible to give every character and every story line a proper amount of time each episode, that’s why there are whole episodes where certain characters and their stories are not featured. It’s the same with any other big HBO show.

The show also doesn’t have a definite lead character, like Nucky on BE or Sookie on TB, so it’s impossible to decide which of the story lines has to have more time devoted to it. The whole saga doesn’t have an ending yet, so no one knows which of those story lines will matter the most in the end.

In short, D&D have made the best possible adaptation of this enormous and basically unfilmable fantasy saga, and because of it I’m ready to accept reasonable changes and characters like Ros. Look at True Blood if you want to see what some hack writer can do to a pretty decent book series (and those books are MUCH easier to adapt, IMO)…

134. Burgos
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 4:50 am | Permalink

Elena Amici: yep, but mad men’s got all those pretty emmys, GOT is still in fantasy ghetto..

Peabody > Emmy’s In terms of overall quality in the industry. Just look at Battlestar Galactica’s continuation while the viewership was shrinking. Plus GoT will pickup a few more Emmy’s this year. Just a matter of who gets picked out of the potluck of possibles, and then another good chance at best drama.

Ros is Ros is Ros is Ros… Meaningless character for people to talk to. To the haters would you rather have some unnamed random extra do the listening or a familiar character? Those are really the only 2 choices, unless you start making up more story lines or events in established story lines that could be even worse then seeing her for an extra 4 minutes.

S3/S4, They will come, have no fear HBO won’t kill the giant yet. HBO has seen how fans respond to dvd/bluray sales and why would you cancel something that in sales alone of a packaged season (ignoring international revenue, subscribers, merchandise) have already covered costs? It would be same thing as Comedy Central canceling Daily Show/Colbert Report, or an even more basic analogy of a money tree. Do you cut it down or just keep plucking off those dollar bills? IDK about you, but I’ll take the give that keeps giving anyday. :D

Lastly lacking more Starks in ep 12.. Shit happens, just means we see more in ep 13. Personally I’d rather have an episode lacking a character or two then a LOTR’s wandering in the wilderness for 5-10 minutes between Bree/Weathertop.

D&D keep up the good work on the insanely hard adaptation. Regardless of some of the trolls the vast majority of us appreciate the hard work you guys are putting in to give us an amazing adaptation. Now just speed up the releasing of this season so I can watch Blackwater already!

135. negar
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Ros is a useless character, but I like her acting and the way she talks.( apart from the sex scenes I mean :D)
    D&D are NOT stupid , I’m sure there’s something important coming up that they show little finger threatening Ros , maybe that she becomes Vary’s bird or sth.
    we should just trust D&D and be patient , it’ll work out!

I think maybe next season Jon and Tyrion can be main characters.and everyone else can come and go , so the show won’t feel like lots of clips.
    episode 2 was better in that than the 1st one.and it’ll get better.I can feel it!

136. Kid
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Ros is not useless. There are soo many descriptions and additional info written in books, that you either have to get yourself a narrator, of have a few new characters who will describe what’s going on.

Ros always have some hidden info in her scenes:
    - northerners going to war
    - some stories about far places, to show that people not only live in KL
    - common people reacting on children slaughter, and other events
    - some characters inner motives which remain hidden in dialogs with nobility.
    - lack of sex in the show :D

137. Abyss
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    Thronecast interview with Maisie Williams. It’s region free. Some stuff in it is spoilery!

138. OhDanyBoy
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 8:26 am | Permalink

On the topic of Ros, Westeros.org just posted their interview with D+D, and they had this to say about Ros:

Dan: Esmé Bianco started out as a one-scene player, but we really loved what she did in the scene and we realized she was a way of representing a class of person that the story doesn’t generally focus on, and she can serve all sorts of different functions down the road that exist in five or six different characters.

139. Cipe Doulouroux
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 8:29 am | Permalink

What have learned here? Well we learned that complaining about the show shouldn’t be taken too seriously. I mean, those people who complain will never be taken seriously while the ratings are on the rise. All they are doing in generating conversations that actually only resonates with other whining people. And they will be put into several blanket categories. But the one I will use here is Purist, shortened here forward to P.U..

Don’t like the changes? P.U! If you aren’t a PU, you are like the rest of the fans who are Pro Modification (shortn’d to Pro here forward). GoT Pros have many good reasons for being Pros but PU’s are malcontents who watch fantasy shows they don’t even like. And if they have any other raison d’etre, does anyone really care? Not that I have anything against the joys of watching something fiercely that you don’t like and then discussing it endlessly with people who do like it, and trying to get them to hate it too. It’s only natural tendency. As a matter a fact, I am a hardn’d PU. But I do resent because called a GRRMler or a Westerosi.orgi. I operate independently, you see? I can change my mind whenever the style suits me.

Many people on the street level ask me why I do it, why I am a PU? Well, it’s simple. It makes me look good–smart, and sassy. It’s like wearing virtual thick black eyeglass frames; a virtual online andro-nerd magnet. The trick is to NOT seem morally superior while maintaining a higher standard in entertainment that isn’t ever quite reached, to use $5 dollar words occasionally but not too often. But more importantly it makes me NOT look like a plain Pro who like pack animals congregate in public urinals to have a good piss together while singing songs, and to bring politics into it, probably all voted for a proverbial Dubya Bush and loved every minute of it. No, I like to sit on my ivory *throne* alone (maybe hum to meself) and I only vote for the candidate with the most advanced opinions who is bound to lose.

Well, I hope I have made myself look good in the process of making Ros seem bad. Being somewhat insane, I believe someone at HBO is actually reading this and that I will influence them somehow. In fact, not to call myself conceited but I am most likely the reason Ros is such a big deal in season 2. Yeah, D&D saw my PU last year and thought hey, let’s get that guy. I think they are going to get me good. Thanks D&D! Without your hard work the world would be a parallel one without GoT where I would be PU of something else.

140. tedpole
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 8:54 am | Permalink

The Kingslayer,

if you are not in nielsen household then it doesn’t get counted but if you are in nielsen household then ask Ros, she probably know more about everything.;)

141. RamsaySnow
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

@tedpole

wait a minute.

I pirated the second episode, but I still rewatched this pirated download on Sunday at 3 am (which was really Monday) here in Eastern Europe synchronously with Americans — just to help the ratings, and now you tell me I was awake among the vampires in vain.

142. LockeLamora
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

I don´t have any problems with the character of Ros, the scenes she is in are either with other characters , such as Littelfinger, Pycelle or the scene with the baby murder which was in the books, so there are no made up scenes only to put her character in spotlight, and as long this is so, it´s fine with me. The thing that bothers me more and more though is that they are trying to make some characters more likeable then they are, example being Cersei, as far as I remember she gave the order to kill Roberts bastards not Joffrey, (Joffrey had no idea of how many bastards his father has fathered or, where they possibly could be). I do understand that Joffrey has to look like a monster, and he has proven to be one in many occasions…making Cersei almost a good person though bothers me , because , well she is not. I remember hating Cersei with a passion in book 1, 2, in the series I´m more like meeh towards her. Also, I would love to have some more screentime for Bran, Arya and Sansa, but that is not gonna happen, and i understand why too, but it´s making me sad anyway :(…

Oh, and sry for my bad english :P

143. fake-o name-o
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 9:27 am | Permalink

DH87:
    SergioCQH,

Everybody knows Littlefinger’s backstory, so he doesn’t really have anything to lose by telling Ros. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode, but as I recall, he doesn’t really impart any new or secret information to Ros. (Other than giving a general sense of his feelings on the matter. )

144. LockeLamora
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Oh and also, I almost forgot….what have they done to Sandor, if they ruin my fav non POV character I´m gonna be rly upset.

145. tedpole
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

RamsaySnow,

Yes, that doesn’t help us TV ratings….

146. Ramah
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

SergioCQH:

This.

Thank you for the sound reasoning.

147. Joshua Taylor
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

Wow are they two faced hypocrites or what? I wonder have D & D read the reviews on their site? Sure they will talk to D & D for the interview alone as it’s great advertising for the site, they will even say and ask things contradictory to what they’ve been writing for the past two years and simply continue that tradition in the reviews. How arrogant and egotistical the runners of that site have become. It makes me despise the site even more and effectively renders any perspective they offer on the television adaptation as worthless.

148. OhDanyBoy
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

I think you might be misreading my comment – sorry if there’s any confusion from my wording. That quote is from Dan Weiss, from Westeros.org’s interview.

In other news, TV-by-the-numbers has the exact results from Sunday, 3.759 million and 1.9 18-49 at 9:00, and an additional 1.07 million and 0.6 at 11:00.

149. chococo smaerties
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Joshua Taylor,

No. I don’t go to westeros myself but you are wrong to think these things. The fact that they have their own opinions (which they are not afraid to publish) and are able to put them aside to ask more accessible questions is fine by me. They are just a fan site, they have no pledged to be fair in their opinions to hardcore purist fans.

I don’t like that site for other reasons, and I never go there for any reason, and I never talk about them. You should do the same if you really don’t like them. Like the zen master said: Are you still carrying westeros.org?

150. OhDanyBoy
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

That compares to 3.858 million and 2.0 last week, with 1.477 million and 0.8 at 10, and 0.943 and 0.5 at 11.

151. Knurk
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Any news on the UK-ratings?

152. Alan
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

DH87:
    Steven Swanson,

Exaggerate much? I personally don’t love the Ros character. I think Littlefinger and others could have been explored better with interaction between the characters (such as they’ve done with Varys). I do think they need “the little people” characters, but think placing that all on Ros is odd — they almost need more people and less focus on her but that exacerbates the time issue.

My issue with your posts is the hyperbole. “Fatal error” here and “hubris” above. Really? While the denotation of hubris has gotten bland, the connotation is still that from the greek – the sin of pride leading to a character’s downfall. Your use of fatal error confirms that.

Whether or not you like Ros, it’s not hubris. D&D are doing just fine, and the show is excellent, and no amount of Ros is going to kill them or it.

Despite the changes they have made, none are really immense. Even the characters changes people were so up in arms about seem to have smoothed out — is Cersei all that different from the books? Or Catelyn, really?

The show is great and just a little different, and while disliking Ros is just fine and dandy, claiming it’s hubris or a fatal error is kind of ridiculous.

Heck, even pretending you can’t see WHY they did it is kind of silly — this show has few commoners in it, and sticking a random person in front of you to suffer does not have the impact of a character you may like. And while book readers tend to hate Ros, most of my tv-only friends have little issue with her.

153. Tom
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

For every person that hates the sex scenes there are 5 people that watch this show because of them. Stop complaining about it. Its HBO and its what they do in most shows. Its edgy and 99% of people love it.

Cut the sex and this show dives in the ratings. Americans love sex. It sales. HBO isn’t PBS.

154. Joshua Taylor
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

chococo smaerties,

I retract my statement then. I will only say that their past behaviour led me to go in that direction. ie: banning people who disagree with their opinions on the site, Linda’s attack on TumblR/new viewers. I get this impression that they believe ASOIAF is for them and them alone and all the new attention is stealing the limelight away.

155. Damián Erro
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

the thing about comparing GOT’s ratings with other shows like madmen and stuff is that they dont spend this huge budget as GOT does, thats the problem, HBO is really investing in this show and they sure want better ratings

156. Mimsy
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

LockeLamora,

No worries. Cersei is as wicked as she was in Season 1, minus one plot point. I have no illusions that Cersei is anything but the same selfish and power hungry Queen. Regarding the baby killing, I think D&D are trying to showcase just how out of control Joffrey is in the limited amount of time per episode and that Cersei is not as in control as she would like to be. Cersei can frowny face all she wants, doesn’t make her more likeable.

157. Ed
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair: Oh yes!She’s definitely some amalgam or derivative of those.Perhaps D&D&HBO have created a whole new class of character:

The Ros.Defined as a Premium TV series character, unnecessary to the plot and introduced solely to address the creators’ misguided notions of erotic “entertainment.”

Yes.She shall henceforth be known as, “The Ros.”

LOL!!!

158. Crysania
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I am sure in all of the discussion someone has mentioned this but I found it interesting. I was curious regarding when season 2 of true blood started and when it was renewed so I looked it up. It seems it premiered on June 14, 2009 and Alan Ball confirmed its renewal on July 30, 2009. It kinda puts our wait into perspective.

159. DH87
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Alan: Exaggerate much?I personally don’t love the Ros character.I think Littlefinger and others could have been explored better with interaction between the characters (such as they’ve done with Varys).I do think they need “the little people” characters, but think placing that all on Ros is odd — they almost need more people and less focus on her but that exacerbates the time issue.

My issue with your posts is the hyperbole.“Fatal error” here and “hubris” above.Really?While the denotation of hubris has gotten bland, the connotation is still that from the greek – the sin of pride leading to a character’s downfall.Your use of fatal error confirms that.

Whether or not you like Ros, it’s not hubris.D&D are doing just fine, and the show is excellent, and no amount of Ros is going to kill them or it.

Despite the changes they have made, none are really immense.Even the characters changes people were so up in arms about seem to have smoothed out — is Cersei all that different from the books?Or Catelyn, really?

Heck, even pretending you can’t see WHY they did it is kind of silly — this show has few commoners in it, and sticking a random person in front of you to suffer does not have the impact of a character you may like.And while book readers tend to hate Ros, most of my tv-only friends have little issue with her.

I think you took me a bit too literally. Whether Ros stays or goes, who cares? It has had very little effect up until now. The same comments was made four years ago on True Blood fan sites, when a secondary character in the 12-book Southern Vampire Mysteries series seemed strangely front and center when he should have been, literally, in Peru hunting old vampire records. Three seasons later, that show is unrecognizable, inconsistent, and a critical joke. The showrunner thought he knew better how to world build than the novelist who spent 12 years writing her series, although he never came out and said so. Instead, he said he liked his actors so much that his writers spent time “finding stuff for them to do.” Now they have a show where world rules are conveniently forgotten from season to season, the writers have been former script assistants and comic book creators, and even the author says she writes a character she created, not Anna Paquin.
    And this all happened on a show run by an Academy Award winner.
    The thin edge of the wedge! :) Menin aeide thea Peleiadeo Achileos……
    But let’s move on, at least til next episode, and all stay friends.

160. Alan
    Posted April 10, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

DH87: I think you took me a bit too literally. Whether Ros stays or goes, who cares? It has had very little effect up until now. The same comments was made four years ago on True Blood fan sites, when a secondary character in the 12-book Southern Vampire Mysteries seriesseemedstrangely front and center when he should have been, literally, in Peru hunting old vampire records. Three seasons later, that show is unrecognizable, inconsistent, and a critical joke. The showrunner thought he knew better how to world build than the novelist who spent 12 years writing her series, although he never came out and said so. Instead, he said he liked his actors so much that his writers spent time “finding stuff for them to do.” Now they have a show where world rules are conveniently forgotten from season to season, the writers have been former script assistants and comic book creators, and even the author says she writes a character she created, not Anna Paquin.
    And this all happened on a show run by an Academy Award winner.
    The thin edge of the wedge! :)Menin aeide thea Peleiadeo Achileos……
    But let’s move on, at least til next episode, and all stay friends.

Perhaps. I’m just not one for slippery slope arguments. I haven’t read TB and barely watched it, but I was under the impression it was never all that faithful. Nor am I under the impression the books are all that great.

I think (and hope) there are differences between the two situations here. D&D seem to love the books. The ASOIF fanbase is slightly insane and they know it (in some ways, I love the purist psychosis if only to influence D&D, though too far may drive them away).

The show has even been highlighted as critically strong because of it’s faithfulness to the books — killing Ned, having a plan, not pulling a Lost.

I do know people in this industry tend to think they know best. Ros is probably one example of that, but I expect D&D to make mistakes (which I’m defining as things I don’t like). It doesn’t mean it’s going to snowball into awfulness.

I’m worried about the future adaptation less because of D&D and more because of the obscene amount of plot in Book 3 and the how-the-heck-do-I-adapt-Book-4-and-5?-ness of Book 4 and 5.

161. RitariKnight
    Posted April 11, 2012 at 7:27 am | Permalink

UK rating was 407,000 for the second episode (premiere had 522,000).

162. Knurk
    Posted April 11, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

RitariKnight,

ah, the crazy rollercoasterride of the UK-ratings begins anew!

163. Arthur
    Posted April 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

RitariKnight,

Is that a good number for UK pay for cable ratings???

164. Yoshi
    Posted April 12, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Mike Chair,

How about The Stupid? As in a comment written, intended to be clever, but is the mirror opposite of it.

1. [...] of Thrones continues to trounce ratings expectations with another 3.8 million viewers tuning in to the second episode of the new season on Easter Sunday. Considering this was a major [...]