Episode 13 – What Is Dead May Never Die – New Viewer Recap
By Winter Is Coming on in Recap.

Samwell Tarly

We Do Not Sow provides his take on tonight’s episode, from the fresh perspective of someone who has not read the books. If you are a fellow “book virgin”, read and react in the comments below.

Spoiler note: The discussion in this post is for non-book readers ONLY (book fans can discuss the show here). We ask all the series veterans to refrain from posting spoilers in the comments here, veiled or otherwise. This show is best viewed without knowing all the surprises beforehand, so please be respectful of your fellow fans. Thank you!

We Do Not Sow: I am finding it tough to start writing tonight. It seems that every time you get a glimpse into a secondary character, they don’t live much longer for you to appreciate them. I am going to miss Yoren, I was hoping he would escort Arya and Gendry to Winterfell, but that would have been too easy, I guess. I had really enjoyed the Arya and Gendry storyline so far, so although Yoren is gone maybe this will lengthen their trip north. The whole time I was watching the scene where the northern travelers were being caught I just kept saying “You should be hiding! Yoren told you two to hide!”

Still in a state of disappointment, between losing Yoren and the scene of Theon burning the note to Robb, I will move on to Theon and the Greyjoys. Like I said last week, I think Theon will do anything to win the affection of his father but after this week’s episode, I really don’t like Balon Greyjoy. I get a weird, creepy vibe from him. I was really hoping I would like all the Greyjoys and be happy and satisfied in the selection of my moniker, but we have a long ways to go in this story, so who knows what will come in the end. I was disappointed when Theon was burning the letter to Robb, it was almost like he was burning the Winterfell years of his life away. Maybe I am reading too much into it but I feel like Theon has chosen the path to follow his father and in time attack the Northern castles while the men of the north are fighting in battle. I hope I am wrong about Theon’s motives and also about Balon and Yara.

Tyrion is an all-around awesome character and the way Peter Dinklage brings him to life is amazing! Tonight’s episode plot was vintage Tyrion. Still trying to weed out all the liars and backstabbers in King’s Landing, he sets up the three councilors of the throne with a little test. It was priceless; the film editing was great, as well. It was an all-around excellent execution as far as the show goes, readers let me know how this played out in the book but I would assume pretty similar to the show tonight.

I was really excited to see the fallout between Craster, Jon Snow and the rest of the Night’s Watch. I really didn’t get the action or fight scene I was expecting. To take that farther, I was beyond excited when they left the Wall in the season finale last year and I am still waiting for something worthwhile to talk about. Now that they are leaving Crasters, something big has to be coming. On a side note, Sam and Gilly sitting in a tree…

I think something I have yet to mention over the past 12 episodes might be even bigger than I ever could have thought. That is the dreams that Bran has been having. Just a hunch or maybe a wild stab in the dark, but I think he might be right and maybe they are more than just dreams. While we’re chatting about Bran, I still want to see more of him on horseback and it seems like Hodor is a big fan favorite among the book reading fans. I wonder how much more he is involved in the books. He interests me, or maybe the infatuation of the readers interests me, either way I want to see more of Hodor.

Finally, we get to see more of camp Renly. I instantly recognized Renly’s new wife Margaery from Showtime’s The Tudors and off the bat she seems to be playing the same type of part as Anne Boleyn. We shall see what she brings to the table besides trying to give Renly a child. Loras and Margaery and Renly.. oh my. This seems like a love triangle gone bad but at least Margaery knows what she is there for and is OK with the arrangement. I thought that new warrior Brienne was going to mess Loras up in the beginning. Once I saw how tall she was the first thing that came to mind was getting Brienne and the Mountain to have super warrior children.

From the previews after tonight’s show, it looks like any day now the mayhem will break out and we will all be holding our breath for one hour every Sunday night for the next two months. So it’s an hour or so after I just finished and I’m still a little upset about Yoren and the possibility of Theon turning on the Starks but I will get some rest and revisit this episode later in the week. New viewers like me, let me know which potential kings are your favorites. So far, with the main five right now my order would be Robb, Stannis, Daenerys, Renly and then Joffery. Just like everyone else who is writing tonight I will leave you with ” I always hated crossbows…”

1. crystal
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 12:30 am | Permalink

OMG First. Congratulate me

2. bliss_street
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 12:44 am | Permalink

3. rhey
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 12:49 am | Permalink

crystal,

loser

4. Rukie44
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 12:50 am | Permalink

bliss_street,

Technically, Renly isn’t in Storm’s End, they’re just nearby (I think). And since there weren’t many new locations this week, I don’t see a problem with them sticking with the same opening again until somewhere new is introduced.

Keep in mind, for everywhere that was traveled last season there were only four variations of the opening.

5. Randy
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Theon’s baptism scene was epic!

6. Dogmayor
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:09 am | Permalink

bliss_street,

They always have 4 locations in the opening even if they are not seen in the episode, King’s Landing, Winterfell, Castle Black and a location beyond the narrow sea. In this season it appears they’ve added Dragonstone to this.

7. gotgotgot
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:10 am | Permalink

I am starting to get annoyed at how short each episode is.
    Just when I am starting to get immersed into the episode it comes to an end.
    And it starts to feel the same way for each of the storyline in the episodes too.
    I know they have to pick and choose which storylines to feature more or less of or NONE of each week but its annoying me more and more.

Another great episode all around. Tyrion is excellent as usual. I thought the deception speech was really odd though with the cuts to the different characters. And also not sure why Tyrion felt the need to reveal his plan to the old guy when he caught him. I guess he felt it was such a genius scheme that he just had to tell someone.

8. Delta1212
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:12 am | Permalink

bliss_street,

The map always has The Wall and someplace across the Narrow Sea, even in the episodes without Dany or Jon. They also don’t always add new locations when they crop up, though I was hoping for Storm’s End.

9. crystal
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:25 am | Permalink

rhey,

funny!!!

10. ANiceChianti
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:30 am | Permalink

I don’t think I’m giving anything away by saying that it’s pretty likely that most people don’t like ALL of the Greyjoys, so no worries. Their sigil is the most badass, so they have that going for them. And just like most things in Game of Thrones, you’ll find they are more complex than they appear on the surface.

11. crystal
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 1:30 am | Permalink

gotgotgot,

Tyrion needed to test all three men for keeping secrets: Pycelle, Littlefingers and Varys. If he told them all different stories, and there was a leak. Then it would be obvious where the leak came from. Now Tyrion really has his hands full, he’s going up agains Littlefingers and Varys. I feel like it would be easy to battle against Cercei, cause she’s and idiot. But those two, I don’t know how he’s going to do it.

12. Rillion
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 2:17 am | Permalink

“While we’re chatting about Bran, I still want to see more of him on horseback and it seems like Hodor is a big fan favorite among the book reading fans. I wonder how much more he is involved in the books. He interests me, or maybe the infatuation of the readers interests me, either way I want to see more of Hodor.”

There is only one thing I can say about that: Hodor!

13. Bean
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 2:24 am | Permalink

Lannister guards = experts at spearing distracted people in the back.

14. jensw
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 3:16 am | Permalink

space pope, Lord Varys,

What part of “The discussion in this post is for non-book readers ONLY” didn’t you understand?

15. Lord Varys
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 3:58 am | Permalink

Well, didn’t the guy in question (i.e. We Do Not Sow) explicitly ask about information how Tyrion’s plot happened in the books? I did not realize that this type of information would be improper in here. And about the ‘spoiler’ about the fact that Balon has brothers you have to complain to Bryan Cogman, not me. The guy revealed that 9 episodes ago.

Explaining how events happened in the books compared to a TV episode which has already aired should not be a problem. I did not hint anything about stuff to come, so I actually don’t see a problem here…

16. Ash
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Great episode!

17. Nobby
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 4:35 am | Permalink

The discussion in this post is for non-book readers ONLY

Which I take to mean if you’ve read the book/s, then there’s another thread. Non-book readers should be allowed to make their own conclusions even if it’s a wrong one or make assumptions or guesses.

18. Magnus
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Lord Varys,

It is a problem since you were asked explicitly to not discuss the books in this thread. Don’t make up your own rules of conduct that contradict the ones of this site.

19. Crispin
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Magnus:
    Lord Varys,

Yes, exactly. There’s a seperate thread for you “Readers” out there. That’s just common sense. Don’t go making up your own liberal rules about how the internet should work or next thing we’ll have non-readers mingling with readers and making mixed-literacy babies!

20. Dragonshit Crazy
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 7:58 am | Permalink

This was absolutely the best episode yet this season….obviously more to come….Loved Tryion’s strategy in flushing out future problems to his power…..Was so sad to see Theon burn his bridge back to the Starks, but wasn’t that why he returned, to win back his father’s love….I now know why Brienne (She’s no Lady, she’s an Amazon) is such a favorite with the fans who read the books….I enjoyed reading your essay on this week’s episode….totally about the TV series, not disappointed in differences with the books! Sam finally got a girl to notice him!!! He’s such a sweet, unhardened character, all heart!!!

Posted April 16, 2012 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Relax everyone, if WDNS specifically asks a question about how something plays out in the books than book readers are free to answer him in the comments. I thought those answering WDNS’s question did a good job of just providing the information and did not delve into potentially spoilerish material. My disclaimer is really there to direct people to the proper thread, and is not intended as a moratorium on any and all book discussion in here.

22. Vanderhook
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

bliss_street: Was this the first time the opening map of the show was wrong? They showed Dragonstone and Vaes Dothrak, but no Stannis or Dany. And they didn’t show wherever Renly is. (Storm’s End?)

Unfortunately, the map is usually pretty wrong, in terms of lining up with the episode. Last episode it showed Winterfell, despite the fact that we had no scenes there. It shows the Wall, even though Jon has been beyond the wall for three episodes now. It shows Vaes Dothrak despite the fact that Dany has been in the Red Wastes for 4-5 episodes now. It also never shows the Riverlands where Robb and Arya are. The opening is still mad cool, and I understand that the budget doesnt allow them to do an opening that 100% aligns with all the locations in the story every episode.

23. Arristan the Old
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 8:58 am | Permalink

If the author doesn’t want readers posting (at all, as opposed to posting spoilers), perhaps adding requests such as, “readers let me know how this played out in the book” to the article itself is a bit… counter-productive?

Lord Varys isn’t the one who started making up new rules that contradict the one in the “spoiler note”, not that his post above actually contained any spoilers…

24. stu
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

“Once I saw how tall she was the first thing that came to mind was getting Brienne and the Mountain to have super warrior children”

HA :)

classic

25. No Raven For You!
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

We Do Not Sow:

Now that they are leaving Crasters, something big has to be coming…

Am I the only one with a sinking feeling re: the Nights Watch beyond the Wall? They are getting kicked out of someplace marginally safe (though supremely creepy). Plus, they are wandering about north of the Wall with like 100 men, while there is clearly WW activity going on PLUS the thousands of men in Mance Raidar’s army, men who Osha (sp?) says ‘could clean their teeth with the bones’ of men like Theon. They look to be between the hammer and the anvil, and I am worried!

Different point: did anyone else catch the eerie echo of Eddard Stark when Tyrion told Shae “we’ve come to a dangerous place”?

26. Timdorion
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

About opening maps being wrong : that is not new. Even at season 1 they kept on showing ‘Vaes Dothraki’ , even though the khalasar has left it since episode 8 (the pillaging of the town of the lamb people). They were somewhere in the vast dothraki sea by then, or even beyond the borders of it. But I guess that place is just not cool enough to animate for the opening sequence, just as the Red Waste is now. We probably have to wait untill Dany comes to a place with buildings before they update the animation across the Narrow Sea.

27. fres
    Posted April 17, 2012 at 1:47 am | Permalink

First, Septa Mordane…

Then, Syrio Forel…

Now, Yoren…

… it seems that Arya’s mentor/guardian is one of the most hazardous occupations in Westeros!

28. Brian Edward Cripe
    Posted April 17, 2012 at 4:46 am | Permalink

In response to bliss street and Rukie, I have found out Renly is at a place on the Rose Road between Highgarden and King’s Landing called Bitterbridge in this episode. He’s taking his time to claim the Iron Throne, and having games along the way to celebrate his marriage. That’s not a spoiler, just helps to pinpoint the location for ya.

I saw where the main article listed the “five” kings in order of favorites… what about Balon, who fancies himself a king of sorts over the Iron Islands, and Mance Rayder, the wildling king we haven’t met yet who has rallied all the forces north of the wall to his banner?? More drama to unfold!! That’s seven kings in a land with seven kingdoms!! Everybody pick a kingdom and let’s abandon central government for states’ rights and a more democratic system. Everyone wins… To get us started, Mr. Mormont… TEAR DOWN THAT WALL!

29. Steven Swanson
    Posted April 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Brian Edward Cripe: In response to bliss street and Rukie, I have found out Renly is at a place on the Rose Road between Highgarden and King’s Landing called Bitterbridge in this episode. He’s taking his time to claim the Iron Throne, and having games along the way to celebrate his marriage. That’s not a spoiler, just helps to pinpoint the location for ya

That may be the case in the books but not in the show, as it looks like they were encamped by the sea. My guess is they’re somewhere in the Stormlands, Renly’s home territory.

30. Michael Sutherland
    Posted April 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed the last episode, Tyrion seems to be able to play the game well enough seeing as he hasnt been killed! I loved the way he spread his rumours in order to flush out the informer. Also there was more exploration of the Greyjoy’s which is awesome, especially theon who was hinted as being a more prevalent character in the 1st season. I thought it was a shame about Yoren especially as his character story was beginning to be explored, but you couldnt pick a better scene to conclude with! What do people expect to happen to arya, gendry and co now?

31. Jenna
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 8:53 am | Permalink

WDNS – I’m a book reader but I much prefer reading your recaps. Great work! Reading your weekly recap makes me remember the anticipation of what’s going to happen next as I progressed through the books. I too will miss Yoren, he was one of my favourite characters from the series.

1. […] Spoiler Note: This post is for those who have read the A Clash of Kings. As such the post itself and the comments will contain spoilers. If you haven’t read the ACoK yet, feel free to discuss this episode in our new viewer recap thread. […]