Interview with Oona Chaplin
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

As readers and fans of the book series, we know what to expect from the story before it plays out on screen. We are anticipating each twist and turn, each character reveal and each epic moment. We watch not so much to find out what happens, but to see how it happens. That is not the case with the character played by our latest interviewee.

Oona Castilla Chaplin. Born in 1986 in Spain. Her mother is Charlie Chaplin’s daughter, actresses Geraldine Chaplin, and her father is Chilean cinematographer Patricio Castilla. She was raised in Spain and Switzerland but studied art history and dance at the boarding school Gordonstoun in Scotland. Upon graduating from there, she was accepted into the prestigious Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.

With her family history, it’s no wonder Oona was a born performer. In addition to acting, she is also an accomplished dancer and a lover of music. You can see some of her dance moves in a series of fun and sexy music videos she made with her cousin in Spain.

But it looks like acting is where she will make her mark, just like her mother and grandfather before her. Her first role in a major production was a part in the 2008 James Bond film Quantum of Solace. (Fun fact: Her mother had appeared in the 1967 version of Casino Royale, making them, as far as I can tell, the first mother-daughter combo to appear in the Bond films.) From there she was cast as the lead in the Italian horror film Imago Mortis and appeared in various other films and TV series’. Her biggest role to date was appearing as Marnie Madden in the BBC period-drama The Hour.

That brings us to Game of Thrones. From the moment her casting was announced, there were questions. HBO refused to provide a last name for the role, listing it only as ‘Jeyne’. Most speculated that the role was that of Jeyne Westerling, but her look didn’t match Jeyne’s from the book and HBO’s refusal to provide the surname was puzzling. Once the show began filming Oona’s scenes, we heard whispers from the set that seemed to indicate she wasn’t Jeyne Westerling, in fact, she may not be a ‘Jeyne’ at all. Needless to say, our curiosity only increased as the mystery surrounding her character deepened.

So when we had the opportunity recently to interview Oona Chaplin about her role in Game of Thrones, we jumped at the chance. With this Sunday’s episode being her debut on the show, we think it’s a good time to bring you our exclusive interview with Oona Chaplin. And, of course, we had to open the questioning asking for details on her character…

Winter Is Coming: Can you give us a description of your character, Jeyne? What is her role in the story?

Oona Chaplin: I can’t give too much away or it’ll spoil the fun, but I’ll tell you she’s a tough cookie covered in mud who catches the eye of a young wolf….

WiC: There has been much speculation over whether your character is the Jeyne Westerling of the novels or a different Jeyne altogether. Or maybe something in-between. Are you able to shed some light on this?

OC: I can’t I’m afraid but it’s gonna be quite unexpected. I think how my story line was adapted has given us much more scope to play the truth. Dan and David have really gone to town this season, and I imagine George is very happy. I hope you’ll be happy too.

WiC: What was the audition process like? How did you find out about the part and then ultimately land it?

OC: My lovely agent put me up for it, and I auditioned twice, both times suspecting I’d never get it because I’m not white and as in most shows I thought they would want an English rose. But these guys are braver and cleverer than that and for whatever reason they thought I was right for the part. I let out the wildest scream when I got the call.

WiC: Had you heard of the show before auditioning? And have you read the books, either before or since?

OC: Hell yes I’d heard of the show! Massive fan right here. And I’ve just finished the 3rd book, brilliant. So much juice….

WiC: What was it like joining the cast for season two and being the “new girl” on set?

OC: Daunting for about 5 minutes and then the wonderful cast and crew made me forget all about it. So welcoming. It’s a very loving family we’ve created up there, I’ve made some friends for life.

WiC: How did filming on this compare to working on a big Hollywood production like Quantum of Solace?

OC: It felt just as big, and just as efficient. Baring in mind I’m a talking extra in Quantum, and I didn’t taste the full enchilada of life on set, I can say the care and love that the GoT team have for every detail was equal to what I saw on 007, and probably not as well paid.

WiC: In most fantasy stories, the women get a backseat to the men and are oftentimes stuck in cliched “damsel-in-distress” roles, yet Game of Thrones seems to buck that trend. What are your thoughts on the women in Thrones and, specifically, how does your character break the mold?

OC: I think women’s characters have suffered in the history of all genres. We’re either whores or virgins. Even though season 1 was mostly guys, the great thing about this series is that all the characters feel real and 3-dimensional. No room for stereotypes in this game. And in season 2 we’re introduced to some really solid females. My character is unafraid and clever, with a big heart and bigger balls.

WiC: Who are your favorite characters in the story (other than Jeyne, of course)?

OC: Arya is wicked. I think she’s my favorite. But everyone has their moment.

WiC: What do you think about season two, so far?

OC: Out of this world. It feels like season 1 was introducing characters and presenting the world, and this season the audience is suctioned straight into war with all the politics and passions and long nights and tears it has to offer. Can’t wait to see the rest!

WiC: Thank you so much for answering my questions.

OC: Thank you very much!

Winter Is Coming: Not much to add other than Oona seems like a fun-loving gal. Someone you would totally want to hang out with. Be sure to follow her on Twitter, @OonaCC. And, of course, you can catch her on Game of Thrones in this week’s episode.

(Where none of your questions about her character will be answered!)

Thanks again, Oona!

1. epic moment
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

this

2. AngeloB
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I didn’t start reading book 3, should I stop watching the show now to avoid spoilers?

3. Arthur
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

One this for sure…

Oona is a dark haired, brown eyed beauty.

4. Lars
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

AngeloB:

Huh? Why would you stop watching?

5. Empedocles
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I would bet a lot of money that they have decided to condensate both Jeynes (Jeyne Pool and Jeyne Westerling) into only one Jeyne, making Robb fall in love with her and then shipping her to Winterfell after his death in order for her to be the fake Arya in later seasons. That’s why they’re not giving her last name.

6. Lars
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Other speculation has been made that she is a sand snake from Dorne, or from Volantis. I don’t put too much stock in that, though. The clips we have seen do paint her as a curious mix of a low-born and high-born lady. We’ll have to wait and see.

7. Mike Chair
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

OC: Arya is wicked. I think she’s my favorite.

Yup. I like her already. Hers is a face that could launch a thousand Red Weddings.

8. LordStarkington
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I don’t think that would work, Empedocles

As Jaime points out, they can’t afford having Robb’s widow get pregnant by any means, the ages don’t look like they’ll match up and a big part of why the Jeyne Poole scheme works is she’s a steward’s daughter people don’t know and she was hidden away by LF out of sight

Anyway, I’m half-interested, half-nervous about the story change. She doesn’t match the description for Jeyne Westerling necessarily but I think she’d have worked fine. Curious as to why they change it (unless it’s simply because they don’t want to wait for Robb to get to the Crag).

9. Lisa
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Empedocles,

A great possibility for that. I’ve been wondering who they were going to get to play that part. It seems as that possibility would fit in nicely.

10. Crispin
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

AngeloB,

No, you should read the third book more quickly. ;)
    But seriously, book three, at least once you get into the second half, is so juicy the pages pretty much just fly by.

Anyway, interesting to see a character with such an off-screen-air of mystery around her…
    But the way she talks about “English rose” and how her story line was “adapted” makes me think that she is Jeyne Westerling, though her true identity might only be revealed to the audience – and to Robb – towards the end of season 2 or during season 3. It certainly wouldn’t hurt to give Robb’s wife some screen time, and having them meet “in the field”, hang out together and have Robb learn only later that she is actually noble and thus marriagable, might be an interesting storyline. That would give Robb a somewhat better reason to break his Frey-deal other than hormones and honour.

11. AngeloB
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Lars: Huh? Why would you stop watching?

12. Empedocles
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

What I’m thinking is that if they would have wanted to keep Jeyne Westerling, they could have easily fitted that into the story, making her to be captured before Robb gets to the Crag, so it’s obvious to me that that’s not going to happen.

A nurse from Volantis, as she has been described, does not make much sense in terms of story, it’s most likely a cover for her real identity.

A sand snake sounds like a smart way of introducing her family into the mix, although if Robb is going to get her pregnant, that theory has the same problems than the Jeyne Pool/Jeyne Westerling being one and the same Jeyne.

13. Jon Glorioso
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I disagree, I think Empedocles is on to something!

There will be slight changes to make it all fit. The north men don’t have to really believe she is Arya like they do in the book, in this version they’ll probably just be playing along because Roose, the Freys & company still have members of their families hostage

14. Empedocles
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Crispin,

That actually makes a lot of sense. In that way they will be extending Robb’s storyline and probably prolonging his screen time until the Red Wedding.

15. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I am opening a can of worms her but…

she says she is not white? It that so strict in the english language?
    white being central/northern european?
    I am asking as a guy from the countryside in Austria which is very homogenus.
    seeing as the therm hispanic means nothing to me I would have guested she is from southamerica…
    which to me is still white.

16. Lars
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

AngeloB: If they are bringing someone (or merging the character with someone) from book 3, I’d rather read the 3rd book first.

That’s fine. But if they are different, does it really matter which order you read/see them? Some prefer to A) see the show first, others B) read the book first.

But I don’t understand what them merging/changing a character changes that. There are small changes everywhere. You either go with option A or B.

17. Irial Ever Müller
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

AngeloB,

Each season goes with a book so i think you can continue watching season two. But, if you want to avoid spoilers you shouldn’t watch season three (now it doesn’t exist yet) until you read the third book. Kisses

Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I’ve been skeptical about “Jeyne” since the beginning, and in light of the recent Shae-gate, I have to say I’m still pretty worried… :/

Oh well, hoping for the best.

19. Blaat
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I always hated the way the Jeyne/Robb relationship was presented in the book, so it will be interesting to see a good motivation for what will eventually be his downfall.

20. Empedocles
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I’m currently re-reading ADWD and while going through one of the Theon chapters, I started thinking about how they were going to do the Jeyne Poole/Fake Arya thing. I think that instead of having a Fake Arya, they will just go along with Roose Bolton or son be regents for the yet unborn son of Robb. There are hundreds of historical examples of that and I believe it could actually work, unless, of course George has further plans for Robb’s son.

21. hinka
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Jeyne²
    She can play the part of both. But in a small storychange. My guess is that she will marry robb (so she is the queen) and later she is the “Jeyne Stark”. So she can be the hostage (wife of ramsay) and there is no need for a Arya-Jeyne”

22. Steven Swanson
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Empedocles,

I think you nailed it.

23. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

Her father is from Chilie, so she’s latina. I think she’s playing a Lannister. They changed her house to up the drama and do the whole star-crossed lovers thing. But maybe she’s a Martell instead. I remember reading that they deliberately hid the reason why the Martells hate the Lannisters so in the last episode. Maybe that connects to a larger story that they are going to tie in with Jayne.

24. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

paylor,

isnt a latina white too?

oh man the english wikipeadia articels for this kind of thing dont end.

25. Lisa
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Maybe they’re making her a Reed?

26. hinka
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I think either way.
    1. Jeyne is just a Stark and queen of the north after robb dies and married to ramsay
    2.Jeyne carries Robb’s son

Will bring problems in the further episodes or seasons.
    Jon wanted Arya back and this is why he sends mance to winterfell or down south. A this is a reason for theon’s escape and the trouble in winterfell.
    Okay maybe not a big deal… but they need to find a other journayreason for mance

27. wyvernwood
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Loved The Hour – and she played Marnie perfectly a mix of aristocratic vulnerability – I didn’t know anything about her background (Chaplin) – but I thought she and Ben Wishaw were both break out stars of that show.

I’m sure she will be great in Thrones – and despite the number of strong female roles in ASoIF, I do think that they sometimes tend to be slightly 1 dimensionsal, either mother (Cersei, Catelyn), warrior (Brienne, Arya ?), priestess (Melisandre) – I would welcome a more rounded yet strong female role in the show.

28. Tony Stark
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

This girl is adorable!!! She reminds me of a young Allysa Milano in some of her pictures. Amazing to think that she’s Charlie Chaplins grand daughter. A living breathing piece of history!!! Looking forward to seeing how she will fit into the Grand scheme of things.

29. eleusis
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

Latino/a people have ethnic links to the native peoples of Central and South America, and are therefore not considered ‘white’. ‘Hispanic’ can refer to both Latinos and to white people from Spanish-speaking countries.

30. Valyrian
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I kind of hate bookJeyne. I always saw her relationship with Robb as those cases when you have this really nice friend who falls madly in love with this insipid girl/boy whom no one can stomach. And then you friend starts doing things completely out of his character to please this insipid girl/boy. Like the Grey Wind situation. So I’m hoping this change could make me like her at least a little bit.

31. Dee
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

If they have decided to eliminate old town, where Sarella Martell is playing the game, as a seen future location in the show they may have taken that particular Sand Snake and transposed her into Robb’s arc. It would be a major change with a potential for causing problems in the future, but if that is what they did then I would guess D&D know something we don’t about future events that makes them believe it can be pulled off.

32. fuelpagan
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Lex,

Agreed.

An odd mix of curious, excited and nervous feelings about this change.

33. Beren
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I just have to say, she is amazing. I’ve seen a few interview of her live, and she is incredibly funny and has a fast wit. I think FaB or someone else should try to grab her in front of a camera asap. Shame her character probably won’t be around for long…

34. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

The main thing to come away with from this interview is that she doesn’t consider herself white and we should respect that. I live in the United States and here, people from South American countries are usually considered people of color. I saw a lot of complaining here when she was first cast that she wasn’t white, which I found rather appalling.

35. Puri
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I don’t think they can meld the 2 book “Jeyne” characters since they have such different paths in the plot. If Ms. Chaplin says “she’s a tough cookie covered in mud who catches the eye of a young wolf….” well that is a HUGE hint and I don’t want to spoil, but if you’ve read the books you know who that is going to be. Since timelines are so important and yet hard to always follow in the books, the series appears to be creating their own timeline out of the events in the 2nd and 3rd books since some of those happened simultaneously? So, perhaps we will see some events that occurred in book 3 this season, and some events from book 2 in the next season depending on the character and their own personal journey? I’ve read all the books twice since last year, but it appears that HBO has to consolidate and eliminate some smaller characters in order to properly keep the plots moving. I don’t think eliminating the Jeynes is possible though, since they each have an important role in a different part of Westeros. We shall see. I look forward to Sunday as always!

36. Bielle
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

In what universe would someone classify south americans as white. Dude, we’re seriously not white. Sure, there are millions of white people in the countries here, but as a whole…we’re not.

37. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

paylor,

well for me I found that strange.
    I would say she is white. Is hollywood so strict with this?
    Then again i dont know no hipsanics or latinos so i was asking to clear for me the meaning of white/none white in the english language/northamerican culture/speaking group.

38. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Bielle,

In a country like Austria/central europe where we dont have many latin american people and i was talking about her not latin american people in general, also english is not my first language, so i was just asking to make it clear for me.

i didnr mean to offened somebody

39. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

There’s some ambiguity in the U.S. when it comes to Latinos because they’re often officially classified as Caucasian, with a subset of Latino- not sure about other places.
    I defer to how the person describes themselves, always. Oona considers herself not white, and I think we should all respect that.

She seems like a sweet young woman with a good head on her shoulders. Looking forward to seeing where Jeyne goes.

40. Wolf of Dorne
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

paylor:
    Michael Tschuertz,
    Her father is from Chilie, so she’s latina.

His father being from Chile doesn’t turn her into a “Latina”. She’s of European descent from both sides of her family. If anything, she’s a Spaniard :)

Oona considers herself not white, and I think we should all respect that.

I think she means she’s not the typical blonde-haired, blue-eyed Hollywood beauty. An English Rose, as she says.

41. Jesper Molbo
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Puri,

If you know who Jeyne is, tell us. Just black it out with the spoiler button. I’m not at all excited about this “twist”, I’d rather just know.

43. alex
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I think her character will be a more condensed version of the original character. She is a ploy, from the very beggining, a game that Tywin Lannister has set up knowing that it will ruin Robb’s alliance with the Freys. The books weren’t very specific on whether or not the Westerlings were willing parts in Tywin’s plot. My feeling is that BOOK-Jeyne didn’t know about this elaborate rouse, but her family did; so she was pushed into the relantioship by her family, and they themselves were “urged on” by Tywin. After all, the Westerling were an impoverished noble family, so Tywin found some other way for them to contribute to the war against the Young Wolf – is this making any sence?-
    . It is also my feeling that HBO-Jeyne will know from the very beggining what her role is in all this and I think it makes sence for thing to be like this. Everything will be alot easier to explain come the time of the time of later seasons when all this elaborate trickery has to unravel for the viewer.

44. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

people people people!

She can say what she thinks she is and that is fine by me. I was more asking cause it sounded like Hollywood/the entertaiment industry doesnt see her as white which I found strange.
    The other part was about making clear what latinamerican/hispanic/and whatnot.
    is in the english language.

For her jeyne

i dont care if people think she is not white for that role. It is clear that this jeyne gets a bigger role.
    I am looking forward to it and that is all.

45. Dee
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Another theory on Jeyne’s identity in the show:
    In the episode synopsis for episode 17 “Man Without Honor” it says: “Jaime meets a distant relative” It can’t be Alton since he’s a direct cousin, and established in ep 12 to have already met with Jamie , so could it be Oona’s character? A distant cousin with a Lannister mother & a foreign father?

ETA:

I see Jesper Molbo, beat me to it. :)

46. serum
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Irial Ever Müller,

Each season goes with a book so i think you can continue watching season two.

Thats not correct, there are elements from book 2 in season 1 and elements from book 3 in season 2 and elements from book 2 in season 3. D&D have said multiple times that they are adapting the series as a whole rather than making each season specifically follow 1 novel.

47. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Wolf of Dorne,

She has called herself a Latina, so I’m going by what she considers herself.

Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I have to say, all the “Jeyne” theories (whether she’s a Lannister or a Sand Snake or Jeyne Poole) sound pretty lame so far. I hope they’re wrong.

49. Jaime Lannister
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Can I have her?

I don’t think that green boy and his pet puppy can handle a woman like this.

Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Wait… could she be a Reed??? Aren’t they called mud men?

51. Wolf of Dorne
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

paylor:
    Wolf of Dorne,

She has called herself a Latina, so I’m going by what she considers herself.

Where does she refers to herself as a “Latina” in this interview? The only sentence where she talks about her ethnicity is this one:

Unless she has called herself a “Latina” in any other interview (that I don’t know), she means she’s not an “English Rose” (blonde-haired, fair-skinned).

Funny thing is, she and I have born and raised in the same country and nobody here considers him/herself “Latino”. Anyway, she can consider herself whatever she wants to.

52. Empedocles
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

alex,

That’s probably too far from the book. I don’t really think that’s a good idea. Fan outcry will be pretty significant if that actually comes to pass.

The distant relative makes reference to Alton Lannister, the guy that is running around Westeros taking messages to and from Robb and Cersei

53. Dee
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Lex,

I don’t know. I would consider Jeyne being a distant Lannister a relatively faithful interpretation of the essence of Book Jeyne’s identity. I agree with you on the Sand Snake and Pool though.

54. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

People, here, in this forum didn’t consider her white when she was cast and were upset that her skin color was darker than what was described in the books. Linda, one of the site runners of Westeros.org went on a rant about how the producers were trying to be politically correct by casting people of color. Oona Chaplin has to put up with stuff like this all the time, from “Hollywood” and from outside of Hollywood.
    alex,

I’m sorry, I would absolutely hate that. Jeyne wasn’t an evil schemer and if they make her into that, I’ll be incredibly ticked off.

55. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

oh dear I really open a cane of worms her…

paylor,

Yes i know about the outcry.
    then again as a guy from an almost exclusiv white community I think it is funny that people think she is not white.
    Personnaly i just found that saying she is non white strange, but that is just me. Also maybe it was compared to the English rose thing which is blond/white.

So for me everything is clear now.

56. Maxwell James
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

OT: The new episode info tweeted by WiC makes it sound like they are moving fast with Jon’s story. Very curious. Also – Davos’ reward?

57. Mimsy
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

You can be born anywhere on the planet, but you will most closely associate yourself with how you were raised. Perhaps her Latin roots were a stronger influence in her young life, which is why she may refer to herself as Latina.

I have an instant liking to her and I wouldn’t mind a big change for her character. I was never impressed with book Jeyne and neither was Grey Wind, so I’m hoping for the best.

Posted April 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I think any introduction of Sand Snakes (whether Shae or Jeyne) BEFORE introducing the Red Viper would be a mistake.

I know my new Jeyne Reed theory might be far fetched, but it could be pretty intriguing…

59. Skipjack
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

Here’s my understanding from a lifetime of wrestling with the issue in the US. Hispanic is a heritage as opposed to a race. Native American and Caucasian are races, and many Latinos (modern word for Hispanic) are of mixed ancestry. They aren’t white, but there are many white Latinos. Likewise there are many Latinos with African ancestry. They are black and Latino and possibly anything else as well.

In her case though, I think she is speaking about being darkly complected, and not being cast if she might not fit in. It’s not something that’s really up to Hollywood in terms of “rules”, it’s more about how people are perceived and classified in multi-ethnic societies like the US and the UK. It seems that they aren’t going to make her Andal or First Men or whatever made up tribes the story has, but make her something new, or a mixture.

It’s too bad people get so hung up on race in fantasy, when race is a social construct and a cause of endless division in the real world, but it’s understandable that everyone wants to see themselves represented in the things they love.

I don’t think you offended anyone, certainly not me. It’s just a complicated issue that a lot of people don’t acknowledge other people’s very strong feelings about.

60. Mormegil
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Jesper Molbo: From the just release synopsis’s. In episode 7 it says: Jaime meets a distant relative, and then in episode 8: Robb is betrayed.What if Jeyne is that relative? I cant see who else it could be… Could she somehow be involved in his early release, since Cat has not yet received the news of Bran/Rickon?

The relative is probably Alton Lannister, Rob is betrayed by Cat when she releases Jaime and sends him to Kings Landing with Alton (Cleos Frey) and Brienne.

61. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Jaime Lannister,

Well, if she’s a Lannister, I suppose that would fit in with your M.O. ;-)

62. patchy face
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

Agreed – guess she wouldn’t check the “Anglo” box on a job application but her looks are not that exotic (though she is very pretty).

63. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink
  64. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

patchy face,

there is an Anglo box? joke right?
    and agreed she is not THAT exotic, but very pretty.

paylor,

he is over it he was just asking…

65. Mimsy
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand where the baby Robb is coming from. Wasn’t Jeyne’s mother giving her a tea to prevent pregnancy? I would love a baby Robb.. twins in fact!

66. Harry The Heir
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I know this will start a bigger Skirmish against me than the Blackfyre Rebellion. But I really don’t like this woman as Jeyne Poole, Westerling, Martell, Lannister or RR Martin. I Just dont think she fits the part of Jeyne Westerling, She doesn’t look like a Poole, She could be a martell but why introduce a Dornish Woman with Robb? And the idea she could be a Lann is Stupido! I’m usually a lover for this show but I think this is a wrong move :( x

67. Mimsy
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

Umm.. yeah.. there is an Anglo box. lol Depends on the form you’re filling out.

68. DH87
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Tony Stark: Amazing to think that she’s Charlie Chaplins grand daughter. A living breathing piece of history!!!

She’s also the great-granddaughter of Eugene O’Neill, through her grandmother Oona O’Neill, who was eighteen when she wed the fifty-five year old Chaplin in the early 1940s.

69. Wolf of Dorne
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

paylor:
    Wolf of Dorne,

Here you go. She doesn’t consider herself white. She considers herself Latino. Get the f**k over it.

That “get the f**k over it” was quite rude and unnecessary.

OK, she says she considers herself much more Latin due to her upbringing in several different countries as Cuba. As I said before, she can consider herself whatever she wants to and I respect it.

My point was that, being a Spaniard as she is, I would never consider myself “Latino” o “non-white”. She does it because of her upbringing, but a typical Spanish person wouldn’t. We’re European/Caucasian as Frenchs and Britons are, period. The American issue, as I don’t live there, I can’t talk about it.

End of the debate from my side. :)

PD: Nice of you to remove the “get the f**k over it”.

70. Katja
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Jon Glorioso,

Rereading ADWD at the moment and my impression is that most if not all of the northmen don’t believe in fake Arya. They’re just trying to protect themselves, their relatives who are hostages and gain position under the new regime. Open rebellion in the midst of winter would be pretty pointless and most of them don’t have any men left to do any fighting anyway. I’ll bet that there will be some deep grudges against House Bolton for the future though…

71. Pastor_of_Muppets
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

I’m not really as concerned with her self-desribed heritage or her character in the show as it relates to her character in the books, as much as I am with how well-spoken and beautiful she is. I think I’m love.

72. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Mimsy,

really? is that legal?

Pastor_of_Muppets,

oh no mistake I loved her from day 1. In D&D i trust.

73. Jay
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

You guys realise that she’s not even called Jeyne in the show right? I’ve just done some research and I can tell you her character name if you like? :)

74. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Mimsy,

It’s my secret wish that we’ll find out there was a baby Robb in the last book. I’m not holding my breath though.

75. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Wolf of Dorne,

You’re right, it was. I edited it. The sentiment still applies though. She considers herself Latina, and I’ll respect that.

76. Harry The Heir
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

paylor,

Robb sent Maege Mormont to find Howland Reed, now my opinion is that they took a Real Jeyne westerling with them to keep the child safe in the one area of westeros that will never be under siege or bow down to anyone else. The Reeds are the Stark’s true vassels. They will rise a new Eddard Stark and they will ‘in the words of Janos Slynt’ Fuck them up!!

77. gswelcome
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

paylor,

paylor:
    Michael Tschuertz,

i hope to hell that is not what is going to happen, that is a larger departure from the book than I would like to see…

78. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

The women of GOT rock! Okay, so do the guys.

Thanks for the interview Oona!

79. andrea
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

wyvernwood: I would welcome a more rounded yet strong female role in the show.

Me too.

80. Mimsy
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

Yes, it’s legal. The term itself isn’t offensive (at least to me.. and I’m not Anglo). For the most part, businesses are using the Caucasian term more often than not.

paylor,

I soooo wish GRRM repopulates the Starks. I’m praying mother’s tea was a bust!

81. Johan Sporre
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I think she’s beautiful in that field-nurse outfit, and she seems like a fun person and a good actor. I’m sure she’ll play whatever part she has well.

But whichever role she is playing I’m expecting hundreds of comments crying about it.

82. Megan D.
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Can we like, not dispute how people self identify ethnically?

As for how Hollywood would view her… I think the fact that she played a glorified extra in a Bond movie set in South America where a white Russian woman played the Latina lead kind of says it all, no? Whitewashing is a thing.

As for her part, while I’m not sure whether any of the details have been changed, casting a woman of color was actually CORRECT, considering Jeyne in the books did in fact have non-Westerosi ancestry. If they had in fact cast an
    ~English Rose, it would have been whitewashing. So I don’t know if they’ve made any changes to her character’s family and circumstances but I highly doubt they’re to build around Oona considering Oona fits the part in the first place. Martell in particular seems a huge huge stretch.

On a less serious and more speculative note, I don’t really know what they’ll do with her, but the brand new entry for House Westerling in the Viewer’s Guide (considering they’ve spotlighted verrrrrry few minor houses and House Westerling has pretty much no involvement with the major plot that doesn’t directly hinge on the Robb/Jeyne marriage) seems to hint that they might go by the book for her eventual identity. But I could be wrong.

83. andrea
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

All South American countries have had plenty of European immigration.

84. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

I agree.

Megan D.,

Agree, just wanted to have a few things cleared up.

andrea,

Yes i know. I guess that is why I think of latin america as mostly white.

85. Morrigan
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

She doesn’t look non-white to me. If she considers herself Latina, so be it, but she looks as white as any Spaniard or European. *shrugs*

As for the character, I’m a bit apprehensive about the whole “foreign Jeyne” thing. I don’t trust D&D’s writing, for one, and I hope they don’t have her pretend to be some random foreigner that Robb sleeps with until surprise! it’s revealed he deflowered a highborn girl and that’s why he’s forced to marry her. That would remove responsibility from Robb’s mistake and I really wouldn’t like that.

If I’m proven wrong then I’ll be very happy, of course.

86. Simon Ar
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

very, very wild guess : Maybe the Red Wedding is already at the End of Season 2..last episode is called valar morghulis and at the End of this Interview http://tinyurl.com/cypyt9d Weiss says, regarding in which episode RW will take palce:”(…)It’s one of those things where even telling people that something big is coming is probably doing them, we think, a bit of a disservice. I remember how I experienced that event in the books and it was just such a massive, shocking, “Holy shit!” moment for me, and part of the shock of it was not having any idea that it was coming. So to the extent that it’s possible, we’d love to preserve that for the people who haven’t read the books.”

87. Hilary
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

The following is my theory. I posted it on a WiC discussion a few weeks ago, but I think it got a bit lost in the rest of the thread. I also posted it on Tower of the Hand and got some mixed feedback. Here it is, copied and pasted once again:

HBO is going to eliminate the need to cast any of the Westerlings or Edmure by killing off Jeyne by the end of the season. I think that the “commoner-looking” Jeyne in Robb’s character video is, in fact, just a commoner. She is feisty and smart and Robb falls in love with her and ultimately ends up marrying her, despite his agreement to marry a Frey. But before the end of the season, she dies, which frees up Robb to then fulfill his agreement to marry a Frey once more. So, instead of Robb and his men heading to the Twins in the third season to wed Edmure to Roslin, Robb will be the one who intends to wed. However, Walder Frey can’t forgive Robb’s betrayal and is also already in cahoots with Tywin, so he still decides to stage the wedding and murder Robb.

The reason I think this is true:

- Jeyne was not cast as a “Westerling,” but simply as “Jeyne” and no other Westerlings have been cast. I think if she were highborn, she would need a retinue of some sort at some point in the season and as far as I can tell–since no one else has been cast–she doesn’t.
    - D&D (or someone involved with the production of the show, I don’t remember) said that a character who was not killed in the second book would die in season 2. That could mean Jeyne.
    - It would allow the Red Wedding to play out in a relatively similar way to the books while eliminating the need to cast several new minor characters (which could be potentially confusing and use up precious time) in a show that only has more major characters to introduce.

My theory would indicate several things:

- That the Westerlings don’t have a part to play in the future of ASOIAF, which would make the Jeyne-is-in-hiding-and-is-actually-pregnant-with-Robb’s-child theory null.
    - That the need for Tullys in the show diminishes greatly, because the most important reason for casting Edmure would be for the Red Wedding.
    - That would mean that Edmure, Roslin and their child also don’t have a part to play in the future of ASOIAF.
    - Probably many other things that I haven’t thought of.

I realize that there are some serious repercussions to my theory, which may be the reason I’m wrong, but I’m still worried that this is the path HBO will take. I hope it’s not true, because I would love to see the Tullys cast (come on, Blackfish!) and the Westerling betrayal play out on screen. What do you all think? Plausible? Or am I completely daft?

88. MShepNJ
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

eleusis,

The terms “Latino/a” and “Hispanic” means different things to different people but you’re right that Latino/as are often of mixed race descended from European or African and amerindian (indigenous) peoples.

I have to hope the theory in the comments above that “Jeyne Stark”, Robb’s widow, will be used as the FakeArya to wed Ramsay is not going to happen. It’s bad enough that Jeyne Poole was forced to do that, but the point of using Jeyne Poole was that she knew Winterfell and Arya and could play the role convincingly enough to fool the Northern Lords. I have to assume that if Robb falls in love with this character as the show-runners are hinting, some among his war counselors will know this girl on sight and would know she’s not the real Arya.

89. Lala
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

If she truly is both Jeynes, hers will be a cruel, cruel life. I mean, first your husband killed, then having no baby, then being pimped by Littlefinger, fu*ked by Ramsay and Theon… That’s just TOO cruel for one person :((

90. JonHo
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

You guys are all on crack.

91. Alan
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I expect she is a different form of Jeyne Westerling. Whether she’s actually a commoner or an obscure Lannister, etc., works just fine. And honestly seeing the romance will be a nice change from the book. It will lighten and improve the story, flesh out Robb, etc.

I doubt I would like a storyline where she is some master plant of Tywin Lannister sent to seduce Robb by working on the battlefield. This is preposterous on its face (much like the Tywin planted Jeyne Westerling in the book idea as well. Took advantage of it afterwards? Yes. Planned it from the start. Eh. Same with the Sand Snakes. What’s the point? Find out about this Robb guy by seducing him as a nurse? Huh?

I can see her taking Jeyne Poole’s role if it’s not fake Arya Stark but rather that she’s carrying Robb’s unborn Stark heir. There’d be a reason to hold her and a reason to rescue. Less motivation for Jon, for sure, but perhaps they could play up the Robb link. That said, it seems like fake Arya could also easily be introduced later anyway – it’s hardly necessary.

92. Tolgeros
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Ugh. Okay, I get that actors can’t spoil the show, nor should they really, but it’s just plain frustrating to read an interview about an enigmatic character that has absolutely no information about said character. Might as well not even do the interview and wait until after her reveal airs.

93. ravens20
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Hilary,

I actually think this is a great theory. And frankly I wouldn’t have a problem if HBO decided to go down this route. It would cut out some characters, refocus the narrative around Robb, and still maintain the essence of the plot (that Robb fell in love, ignored his vows to the Freys, and was betrayed). As enjoyable as the Tully’s are, their only real use in the third book is as a conduit to the RW. It doesn’t make sense to build Riverrun and introduce so many new characters, when the plot could still be advanced through the method you suggested (at least for the next few seasons).

94. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

JonHo,

I guess they are.
    I would say she is the jeyne we think she is but ther story with robb is just longer.

95. Hilary
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Yikes!

I realized that not everything I meant to black out as spoilers in my last post got blacked out! I don’t know how to go back and change it… Sorry!

96. Iranor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Hi, I’m from Mexico, and I want to clarify some things. The term Latin America was brought by Napoleon III and others, when France wanted to conquer Mexico. It refers to the countries, on the American Continent, who speaks a language derived from the Latin (Portuguese and Spanish to be exact), therefore Latin Americans (or Latinos) are the people who live on the countries, on the American Continent, where people speak Spanish and Portuguese.

And Hispanics refers to people who live on the countries where people speak Spanish. So, a Brazilian who speaks Portuguese is a Latino but not a Hispanic. And a Spanish is a Hispanic but no a Latino. And, for example, a Mexican or an Argentine are Hispanics and Latinos.

Also, the color is something that does not matter to these terms, as many Argentines and Uruguayans are white and still Latinos.

Sorry for my horrible English, I’m not very good at this. And thanks for reading my crazy explanations.

97. purplejilly
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I’m very curious as to who she will end up being – since in ASOIAF skin and hair color means so much, and sort of determines who they assume a person is. So since she is darker/Latina, it seems like she could probably be Dornish or from that area.. It’s kind of fun to NOT know what’s going to happen, for once. For anyone who has seen Ep. 4, is her identity resolved in that ep? Or does it remain a mystery?

98. Herr Fick
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I agree with Hilary: The Westerlings have probably been cut from the series.

From what I’ve read so far, my guess is that Ms Chaplin’s character will be a ‘foreigner’, possibly from one of the Free Cities.
    If this is correct, it will be very interesting to see how D&D manage the lack of her and her child’s legitimacy. For even if she should turn out to be a foreign woman of nobility (like Taena of Myr/Merryweather), her marriage to Robb Stark probably wouldn’t have the political impact it has in the novels: Stark himself as well as his rivals could much more easily deny her claims and (in Robb’s case) ‘defuse’ the situation with House Frey or (in the Lannisters’ and Bolton’s case) denounce her legitimacy – in Mr Martin’s novels, this is almost impossible due to house Westerling’s high standing. Furthermore, the original Sybell Spicer’s role in the story (her contraceptive potions, negotiations with house Lannister and the general ambivalence of her actions) could prove to be obsolete…

99. Greyjoying
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Michael Tschuertz,

that depends, really. there are black latinos, mixed latinos, asian latinos, etc. I think someone with her heritage would ID as white, usually, but I don’t see a problem with it either way. I suppose some may use the cultural appropriation argument~ here but, /I/ honestly don’t see a problem with her identifying herself as a person of color.

100. Mormegil
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Hilary: – D&D (or someone involved with the production of the show, I don’t remember) said that a character who was not killed in the second book would die in season 2. That could mean Jeyne.

While there could well be others we’ve already had one character who died in Season 2 but is still alive in the books.

Rakharo.

101. Brian McCarty
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

You totally missed a great question: “How do you feel being a common crossword puzzle answer?”

102. darrylzero
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

The only thing I’d add to this whole conversation about Latin America and race is that it depends on where you ask the question. Here in the U.S., it becomes tricky because on the census you are either white hispanic or black hispanic, but many of (rightly or wrongly) do think of Latino as a race of sorts. By contrast, many people from South America do not consider themselves Latinos, because they view that word as describing people of Latin American descent who were born in the U.S.

It can be endlessly confusing, and it can be contested within a single country as well as across them. Colombia, for example, used to officially subscribe to the idea of mestizaje, that all Colombians were a mix of European, and indigenous American, and to some extent African descent (though now it has a constitution that recognizes cultural pluralism). However, there are plenty of very white Colombians who never shared this idea, thinking of themselves as of exclusively European descent, and there are Afro-Colombians (though not all of them) who don’t share it either (trying to call attention to the ways in which they are discriminated against).

Of course, race is not a useful concept genetically (they showed conclusively a few years back that taking samples from insular villages in South Africa and Sweden can produce samples in which a Swede and a South African have more genetic code in common with each other than they do with others in their villages). So, it really only has social and cultural valence. In much of Latin America, I think there are competing conceptions of race, where some buy the idea that all are “mixed” (I cringe a little at that word but it does not have a negative connotation in most of Latin America) and others don’t really. We have competing ideas in the U.S. as well, which has been very evident discussions about George Zimmerman.

For my part, I don’t tend to think of most people of Latin American descent as white, which is a statement I hope can be mostly free of baggage. In Chaplin’s case, I would be reluctant to make an assumption one way or the other. In any case, I agree with other posters here that the ultimate arbiter is self-identification, but that doesn’t guarantee that others will respect that (even if it should). Listen to the way certain commentators have scoffed at the idea that George Zimmerman is white. It’s all very loaded.

103. Spartan
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

And what about changing Jayne Westerling into a sort of itinerant Maegi or Maegi’s Daughter? She could be a Maggy the Frog kind of…. in the books, her grandmother was a Maegy. We’ll see.

Oona certainly looks a bit more spanish than english,but i bet she could do a decent english rose kind of. But, i agree, his face, dark eyes and dark hair fits better the look of a girl from Dorne or Volantis or Myr than a westerosii.

104. The Greatjon
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I don’t know where some people are getting this Jeyne Poole theory. It makes no sense to me. The whole reason Jeyne Poole was suppose to pretend to be Arya Stark, was because Arya has been on the run for awhile, and Jeyne Poole has been hidden away, so no one really knows her, which is how she is able to play the “part” of Arya Stark If she is Robb Starks love interest and if the show stays true to the books, his wife as well,Than she obviously wouldn’t be hidden away, in the book she was technically Robbs Queen so obviously people would recognize her and know who she is. And Yes I get the point that everyone really knows its not Arya Stark, but it has to be at least SOMEWHAT convincing. How is having Robbs love interest pretend to be his sister convincing?

I guess you could make the argument that they won’t have her pretend to be Arya Stark, but infact Robbs widow, married off to the Boltons to give them legitimacy to rule the north, but again that holds no water, because any power she would have as queen would derive from Robb Stark, and he obviously dies. So it would have to be Arya Stark or nothing, and again how can she claim to be Arya Stark when everyone else KNOWS her has Robbs Wife/Love interest It just doesn’t work.

105. Greyjoying
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Mimsy,

Yes, she was. Jeyne is not pregnant but people seem to be convinced that she is.

106. JonHo
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

You do realize that Jeyne Westerling isn’t white right. I mean, her great grandmother is Maggy the Frog.

107. darrylzero
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Hilary:

108. Blood
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

There’s a lot of room to maneuver in the specifics of the Robb/Jeyne thing without changing the broad strokes. Turning her into some kind of sinister manipulator or a Sand Snake or whatever makes no sense so really hoping that’s not what they are doing.

109. Mike Chair
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Maybe she’s a white Braavosi!

Hmm. Born in Spain. Raised in Spain and Switzerland. Studied art history and dance in Scotland. Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.

Oh, I know what she is.

Talented.

110. The Greatjon
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

JonHo,

Interesting point, I believe that derives from the ‘Spicer’ side of the family if i’m not mistaken, and they were more or less foreign merchants raised to lords over a period of time. Good call. Although the Westerlings are descended from the First Men, as you pointed out, the other side of her family tree has foreign ancestry.

111. Hi-Fi
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

The Greatjon,

I’m thinking Ros will play Jeyne Poole’s role. She’s already under Littlefinger’s wing, she was threatened by Littlefinger to suffer this exact fate (foreshadowing) and she has a link to Theon, who seems to genuinely like her, so there would be an emotional payoff when he tries to rescue her. Sure, she’s older than Arya (and Sansa, if they decide to use fakeSansa instead of fakeArya) but people won’t care about that, all the Northern lords know it’s all smoke and mirrors and that what matters is her name and title, and not the actual girl/woman.

112. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

She identifies as not white, and as Latina- to force your opinion onto what she should be called is disrespectful.

Also, general reminder: please be careful with the spoilers. When in doubt, use spoiler code!

113. darrylzero
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

JonHo:

Hard to say, really. Much of Essos is pretty white in the books, all the way to Slaver’s Bay. Right? As far as the show goes, though, it seems at least plausible we can have some nonwhite folks from the Free Cities.

I think I’m going to hold off on having an opinion on the change until I know what it is. There’s too much we don’t know still.

114. Giselle Glasgow
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

could we please stop bitching about race and focus on the fact that she’s
    CHARLIE CHAPLINS FREAKING GRANDDAUGHTER??!!! how awesome is that!!! its like she’s Thespian Highborn… pure bloodline…lol….

HBO latin america gave her some interview screen time for the premiere… I’m psyched to see how this ‘Jeyne’ all fits into the scheme of things…

115. wyvernwood
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Mike Chair:
    Maybe she’s a white Braavosi!

Hmm.Born in Spain.Raised in Spain and Switzerland.Studied art history and dance in Scotland.Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.

Oh, I know what she is.

Talented.

Here Here

116. The Greatjon
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi,

I actually think you may be right, makes alot more sense than the Jeyne Westerling/Poole theory. And you actually brought something to my attention that I didn’t notice before, that Littlefinger did more or less threaten that exact fate what happens to Jeyne Poole AND that she has a strong link to Theon, which I agree is very important to the whole storyline/plotTheon rescuing Jeyne later on, and not to mention the fact that she is familiar with Winterfell, just like the book Jeyne Poole

So yeah, for awhile i was suspecting that to be the case, but after just reading your post I think I’m convinced that Ros will be Jeyne Poole You hit the nail right on the head.

117. Spryte
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Tony Stark,

To me, particularly in her music videos, she looks like a Latina Jennifer Love Hewitt. Either way, she’s stunning! Can’t wait to see her on the show, I think she’ll be captivating. Piggybacking off of her “English rose” comment, I think it’s great that the producers are being open-minded and including Latino actors on the show.

And on a completely different note, I’ve read that she’s a flamenco dancer. Would love to see videos of her flamenco dancing!

118. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

I am the person free of baggage you just asked a few question about the thing in general.
    So sorry for open that.

@Oona

i total looking forward to see what happens.

119. Conor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Hi-Fi:
    The Greatjon,

Ooh sounds very possible. I like it.

120. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Let’s move on, people.

Plenty to discuss in the interview aside from what Oona chooses to identify as. Thanks!

121. Spartan
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

By the way, we didn’t see Richard in a bed scene yet… for sure D&D were aware of it ;) Come on ladies, don’t be shy and confess!

122. Icebird
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Why should her color matter? She’s beautiful. Excepting Dorne, and only because we haven’t met anyone Dornish yet… I don’t see color as a solid indicator of anyones race or alleigance.

I hope that Robb’s relationship with tv ‘Jeyne’ is a good, loving relationship. The Starks and Robb have enough tragic subplots to deal with so I hope we can see a Stark happy for a time. I understand her family’s role in the Red Wedding and I’m ok with that. I hope his relationship with her from the books is mostly unchanged. And the ultimate demise of his claim to the North is borne of his honor to do right by Jeyne.

123. Brandon Stark
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

She’s beautiful and seems fun–plenty of reason for me to believe Robb would fall in love with her. I don’t care if she’s one shade tanner than GRRM described in the books (and really, who determines what shade he described?) or if she’s Jeyne Poole, Jeyne of the Crag, Yara Yara Yara, or someone else entirely.

The show will never, ever be exactly like the book and can’t possible pay homage to every minor and semi-minor character GRRM describes (there are literally a thousand). I’m confident the producers will tell a good story for TV, and at the end of the day, that’s all that matters. In fact, I look forward to the changes because I like to be surprised. No point in being able to read along word-for-word for what you’re watching. Yawn.

Long story short: 90 percent of the posters on this board need to get over themselves.

124. LordStarkington
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Re: Hi-Fi’s theory above

Ros seems to be replacing Chataya and Alayaya. It really would be unrealistic to have her take the Jeyne Poole role as nobody’s going to by the local Winterfell prostitute who’s at least twice Arya’s age and looks absolutely nothing like her (yes, at least some of the lords know “Arya” is a fake in ADWD but she has to be at least somewhat plausible)

I just don’t see how it’s plausible and I don’t think viewers (especially book-readers) would buy or like it.

After re-reading the interview, I’m pretty sure if they renamed Jeyne Westerling it was to avoid confusion with Jeyne Poole, not as part of some larger scheme to combine the two or edit Jeyne Poole out (after all she’s not necessary until ADWD scenes are filmed)

125. Icebird
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Seven Hells! The Ros as Jeyne Poole theory is ridiculous! It would actually piss me off. But it’s very far-fetched. The fake Arya would have to be at least believable as Arya – Ros probably has 15 years on her.

D&D did actually name the young lady with Sansa during the feast as Jeyne Poole in the commentary of the pilot episode. I’m pretty sure they’ll recast her though.

126. Spartan
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Icebird: Seven Hells! The Ros as Jeyne Poole theory is ridiculous!

Agree… at the end we’ll learn that Ros is Ros Blackfyre or the like…. imagine her ruling westeros. Ban clothes at the red keep!.

127. Staeven
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Hilary,

Plausible and well thought out me thinks.

128. paylor
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Icebird,

I so agree with this, Icebird! If his fate is to die, I want him to at least be happy for a brief moment, even if it did eventually lead to his downfall.

129. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Spartan,

jeyne & robb naked in bed? bring it!

130. sunspear
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I thought, given her looks, she might be one of Robert’s bastards.

131. Mormegil
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

sunspear: I thought, given her looks, she might be one of Robert’s bastards.

That would be an interesting twist so she’s Jeyne Hill then.

132. Mormegil
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

darrylzero: Are you sure you’re not referring to the previous quote that someone who was dies in book 2 would actually die in season one? Somehow or another, we sorted that out, I thought, and it was a confusion related to Marillion that turned out not to be true. Right.

No it was about Season 2 but we’ve already had the death (Rakharo) they were on about. Of course there may still be more to come.

133. The Greatjon
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Icebird,

Yeah, well its no more ridiculous than the Oona/Jeyne W/Poole theory, doesn’t stop people from talking about it.

At least the Ros theory holds a little more water, because they can always make her the ‘fake’ Sansa. Point is we’re talking about the TV show not the books, its an adaptation, so I don’t see why people need to get all mad just because someone suggested a minor deviation from the plot

134. Langkard
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I am officially an Oona fan now, for two lines in the above interview:

My character is unafraid and clever, with a big heart and bigger balls.

and

Arya is wicked. I think she’s my favorite. But everyone has their moment.

Yay, Oona!

135. Hilary
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

darrylzero: Are you sure you’re not referring to the previous quote that someone who was dies in book 2 would actually die in season one?Somehow or another, we sorted that out, I thought, and it was a confusion related to Marillion that turned out not to be true.Right.

No, I wasn’t referring to season one. I remember reading somewhere that D&D said that someone who doesn’t die in book 2 dies in season 2, but as Mormegil pointed out, Rakharo has already died. Which does make my theory about Jeyne dying in this season hold a little less water, but I still think it’s still plausible.

I have to say, I really find it quite unlikely (and absurd, even) that people seem to think Ros or Jeyne will end up as the fake Arya… Jeyne is far too old, will probably be known to Robb’s bannerman (and therefore couldn’t be passed off as Arya) and knows nothing about Winterfell. Ros, on the other hand, is probably even older than Robb and is a whore. There is no convincing way that she or Jeyne could be made to be Arya Stark who is the youngest Stark daughter. For those who have read Dance, there were only a few people who realized that Jeyne Pool wasn’t Arya Stark. Most people believed the ruse. The fake Arya will have to be believable and close in age to Arya. I don’t believe D&D would make such a grave error by making Jeyne or Ros into the fake Arya.

I can’t seem to find who posted it above, but I agree that I think Ros is taking the role of Chataya and/or Alayaya. It is much more plausible and I think it actually works pretty well. When and if D&D need to find a fake Arya, I believe they will cast someone new for the small role.

I certainly don’t mean to offend any fellow theorizers – more theories means more fun! :)

136. andrea
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Iranor,

Así se dice. Lo explicaste perfectamente bien.

137. Adrian
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

People seriously believe there’s a chance they’ll try to pass off a 26 year old as a what, 12 year old? It’d take some serious suspension of disbelief for the viewers to be expected that anyone would fall for that. “Well I thought you were supposed to be twelve or so, but what do I know?”

138. Puri
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Lex:
    Puri,

Since Oona said she “catches the eye of a young wolf,” I believe she is playing Jayne Westerling.

139. userj
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

guys i really don’t think it’s that complicated.

she’s jeyne westerling, but she’s in disguise and will be called by some other name for awhile (because it wouldn’t be appropriate for a noble lady to be working as a nurse in a battlefield).

they wanted her to meet robb this season instead of later, and they didn’t want to have to deal with the complexity of a new location (the crag) for the romance scenes (also why no riverrun). Therefore they needed to have her come to him instead of the other way.

She’ll still nurse him back to health, etc just like in the book. And then they’ll go the crag later to get married, but taht will be offscreen.

140. oracle86
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

paylor:
    Michael Tschuertz,

People,here, in this forum didn’t consider her white when she was cast and were upset that her skin color was darker than what was described in the books. Linda, one of the site runners of Westeros.org went on a rant about how the producers were trying to be politically correct by casting people of color.Oona Chaplin has to put up with stuff like this all the time, from “Hollywood” and from outside of Hollywood.
    alex,

Linda can really be a BITCH sometimes. ;)

141. Arthur
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Does Oona do a love scene?

Is that okay to say or should it get yanked?

142. Varamyr Fourskins
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

The reason I think Jeyne’s surname has been dropped from the story is because TV shows tend not to use two characters with the same name (it confuses people).

There won’t be a Jeyne Pool, because there’s already a Jeyne “Westerling” (or, just plain Jeyne, as it were, because there probably won’t be much time to explain her backstory, so the name of her House will be of no consequence). Jeyne Pool will be renamed, a la Asha-to-Yara, so as not to confuse the two.

I realize that people aren’t stupid, and have the ability to follow story lines, regardless of the character’s name, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Names are easy to change, so that’s the least of their worries.

With that being said, I wouldn’t be surprise if Jeyne Pool was written out of the TV show. They could really get anyone to be the fake Arya. From what I can tell, the fact that she was Sansa’s friend before becoming Ramsay’s wife doesn’t really matter that much to the overall story. But in any case, they won’t call her Jeyne.

143. anniemax
    Posted April 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Spartan:

According to his recent Insider.com Interview, it sounds like D&D have listened and we will be seeing more of Robb:

ItInsider: And with relations on HBO inevitably come sex scenes. Does being naked and filming those ever get easier?
    Richard: It never gets easier — but the build-up in your head is always much, much worse. It’s funny, I’m used to going into my trailer and seeing leather, leather, leather, armor, fur, leather, boots, armor, fur, swords. That day, you go in and the only thing awaiting you is a small silk pouch [laughs]. That’s when you know it wont be a good day. It’s good with this show because it happens often, so there’s not this massive sense of, “Oh man, he’s naked” on set. But that can flip on the other side – I’ve done TV shows where they’re so OK with nudity, everyone will forget you’re naked. That’s when you’re standing in the middle of a room after they’ve yelled cut and everyone’s moved on to the next thing, but you’re still there – cupping your junk. “Uh … can I have a towel?” [laughs] It doesn’t get easier, but there is always a lot of pizza waiting for you afterwards – you spend weeks working out, not eating carbs and generally being terrified of it. The second it’s over, you dive right into the pizza, beer and chocolate. It’s a good reward.

144. Augie Hatton
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 12:54 am | Permalink

I don’t understand how people think an adult woman would be able to pass for Arya later. Surely they would know that much about Arya at the least.

145. Adam Austin
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Has anyone speculated that this “Jeyne” might actually be “Joy” , the bastard daugther of Tywin’s brother Gerion???

146. loco73
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 4:06 am | Permalink

I love her look! She really is a beauty and a nice girl by the sound of it. Sibel Kekili has such a unique and exotic presence in the show, and I’m sure Oona will be the same. Yet another interesting and exciting female character to look forward to. After Gwendoline Christie and Natalie Dormer made such a great entry to the show, I cannot wait to see Oona in action!

Welcome to the show!

147. alex
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 4:40 am | Permalink

I keep reading about this Jeyne being some weird blend of Westerling-like character and Jeyne Poole and/or a Sand Snake … dafuq?. I’m sorry, but that would just suck. I think it would just thicken the plot unnecesarily and drive them away from the source material without adding any depth to the story. It would just seem confusing – kinda like a “why would they do that?” moment – for the fans who haven’t read the books and it would be just outright annoying for the book fans, muself included. I really hope this is not what they are doing.

148. alex
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 4:43 am | Permalink

userj,

I think (and hope) that this is what the character is all about. Nothing weird and twisted, but just that!

149. Shinyteapot
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 6:31 am | Permalink

I don’t see this Jeyne taking over Jeyne Poole’s role. Jeyne Poole exists in the show- she’s been mentioned by Sansa- but (presumably) didn’t travel to King’s Landing. I think the dark haired girl at the feast was supposed to be her, though whether she will come back or a different actress we can’t say. Easy enough to have Jeyne Poole among the captives taken back to the Dreadfort by the Boltons, where Roose sees she’s potentially useful and tells Ramsay he can’t play with that one- oh look, Arya must have made her way back to Winterfell.

There are all sorts of logistical issues with Oona’s character taking Jeyne Poole’s place. So I doubt that very much- she’s different to book Jeyne Westerling (maybe different surname) but will do the same job for the storyline. I hope she’s not a Martell because I pictured them very differently (and it’s an unnecessary complication), but there’s no saying how the show will cast them.

150. Dreamlife
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 7:22 am | Permalink

My first thought, based on her Spanish heritage, is that she is a Martell. The Sandsnake suggestion is also plausible. Honestly, I think these possibilities are far more interesting than the Jeyne from the books. Plus, I think the Sandsnakes kick ass.

I suppose she could be a Lannister despite her hair being brown, considering Alton is a brunette Lannister. I don’t have any opinion on this. I would have to see where they go with it.

If she is a Reed, that’s just odd. I thought the Reeds were supposed to be little (short) people with webbed fingers and feet. Again, I’d have to see what there plan is if she is indeed a Reed.

Finally, if she is Westerling or Poole, I don’t see why the big secret other than to hype up her introduction episode.

151. Klavonivs
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Crispin,

I agree with your statement and I think it is a very good idea (if in fact this is what they are doing) that they are expanding Rob’s story and showing how he falls for Jeyne and possibly having him struggle between being with Jeyne or being with a Frey.If this is in fact what they are doing then I applaud D&D for even making us book readers wonder what is to come, without deviating from the story but rather expand on what was only slightly mentioned in the books!!!

152. Sarah
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Lisa:
    Maybe they’re making her a Reed?

Lex: Reed

If that is the case why hide it, if she was then what happens to Jojen and MEERA? It just does not make sense. As much as I want ot comment further I don’t feel that I can as I may get annoyed/confused. So until I have seen the episode on monday I won’t talk further about her character who ever she is

153. World_Dancer
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I am not enthused by this change. She seems like a lovely person and all. But not only the potential combination of two characters in this way, but the apparent character change from pretty helpless lady in both cases to someone out and about, covered in dirt and more adventurous, annoys me a lot.

154. Arthur
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Sarah,

Don’t worry. There is only one Meera. She will be with Bran in season 3.

155. F.FRANKLIN
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I noticed Oona Chaplin refused to say anything about her character and this is like the 2nd or 3rd time she had done that.I guess there would be a Drastic Change on her character on the TV and the books besides the name thing.I dont get why she would be so secretive when many had read the books and the other casts like Alfie Allen and Richard Madden had discussed the events past book 4 and 3…so they seem to be given some freedom to talk about their chracter even Natalie Dormer who plays Margaery but Oona does not..which indicates she’s gonnahave a drastic change …so all the crazy theories even that she is a sandsnake could fit..but i think it
    Jeyne would die.

156. junglejill
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

So my comment was deleted for politely disagreeing with Ours is the Fury?

Can I have any explanation for this?

Posted April 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

junglejill, it was deleted because of Ours is the Fury’s request to end the racial discussion:

Ours is the Fury:
    Let’s move on, people.

158. junglejill
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Winter is Coming,

Thanks for the reply.

Funny that you quote the message I quoted in my post when I was specifically disagreeing with OitF’s request to end the racial discussion.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the discussion wasn’t offensive or disrespectful at all. It also continued after OitF made her request, so I get the impression my post was deleted for another reason.

Is there a new rule over here about off-topic discussion? As far as I understand, moderators are around for keeping discussion civil, not for deciding which topics are interesting. I’m not trying to be annoying, just asking about your moderation policies.

Posted April 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

junglejill:
    Winter is Coming,

Thanks for the reply.

If a line of discussion looks to be headed to a place that could cause discord or attacks from either side, it’s within the moderator’s rights to end that particular line of discussion (see: my moratorium on further homophobia discussion in our recent Twitter post). In the past I’ve put the clamps on similar “hot button” discussions, generally revolving around politics, race, religion, etc. These discussions have a tendency to devolve into flames and personal attacks and visitors leaving with a poor impression of the website and its community. So I believe that what OitF did in this case is justified.

And the discussion didn’t continue after that, it went in the direction of speculating what Oona’s role in the series may be, not what race she may self-identify as.

Hope that clears things up! :)

160. tysnow
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

She is a Reed, or should I say adoptive, her name will be Lyanna Dayne Reed (lol), sired by Ned and Ashara, raised by Howland.

161. fuelpagan
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Now that I’ve thought about it, I really don’t think this will be a very drastic change that we are fearing.
    The whole Lissa from Volantis is simply her hiding who she is to avoid capture so she will be left alone to tend the wounded. Once her and Rob fall in love, she will reveal she is of noble birth. They don’t want the audience to know she is of noble birth, that’s why they are being coy with the last name.

Can’t wait to see Oona on screen. I think she’ll be great.

162. junglejill
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Winter is Coming,

Sure, I see your point. I hope I’m not pushing it by replying one last time.

The discussion wasn’t really specifically about how Oona self identifies. It was an off topic discussion regarding an ethnic/ cultural definition. Maybe some posts I haven’t seen were deleted, but it didn’t seem to become inflammatory in the least bit. So that’s quite different than the ongoing homophobia discussion in that respect. The discussion was also unlikely to continue past this thread.

I’ll leave it now, I’m a lurker anyway, but I was compelled to post because –

1. many topics have the potential to offend, but making them taboo is IMO a bad decision and prevents people from educating themselves and discussing charged topics in a civil manner.

2. I thought Ours is the Fury’s request was inappropriate for a moderator. I also made a short comment about her moderating style and I assume that’s why my post got deleted.

That’s all; nice interview BTW.

163. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Your post was deleted for the reasons Winter has mentioned. Your comment about me wasn’t particularly offensive. Winter has explained to you why my request was not inappropriate and I hope you will respect his wishes as well.

Posted April 20, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

junglejill,

You make some good points and I will take them under advisement as we continue to strive to keep our board as open to all viewpoints and discussions as possible. I appreciate the feedback and the respectful way you handled the situation.

Thanks!

165. Sarah
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Arthur,

I hope so I really hope so as I love that character and I will be sad to see them go in way of combining characters that make no sense with regards to the book

166. Arakel
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan:

Can’t wait to see Oona on screen. I think she’ll be great.

I think this is spot on.

167. bhd
    Posted April 20, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

I might be boring, but I think they only hid her name because they simplified the whole Westerling thing by just making her name Jeyne Lannister in order to not have to explain family trees for 5 minutes.

Other really boring theory, they hide the name because they didn’t want to spoil things by calling her Jeyne Stark.

168. Aoife
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 3:51 am | Permalink

WARNING: Detailed discussion of events from book 3.

Hilary:

I remember your previous comment to this effect and didn’t reply b/c at first I was thinking “DANG! They’d probably do it to cut down on characters.” However, after thinking about it, I don’t really think Walder Frey would go for it. Perhaps Tywin could set it up without Walder’s knowledge via Bolton, the minstrels and perhaps one of the other Walders and leave the elder Walder out of it, but that would make things a bit more bloody. If Robb was marrying a Frey, I don’t think Walder would want to kill him. Book!Walder, at least, has a desire for his family to be tied to greatness, which is the whole reason he wants his family to marry into the Starks. He’s already gotten the Lannisters to marry into the Freys…book!Walder wants every family tied to the Freys.

But then that also leaves Catelyn and how her role would be handled. It would be tricky, but I guess it could play out as it does in the books, except having her believe that the elder Walder is behind it all? It’s a fine line….the RW is definitely one thing that DOESN’T need to made awkward/forced in the show, for sure!

While I REALLY want to see some Tullys (NOT liking that they have been deemed “unimportant” in the show, and presumably also in the books), I don’t want them to intro Edmure at the last moment and shoe-horn it in badly like they probably would. It’s already awkward that they aren’t apparently involved in the war at all. :-(

One other possibility is the RW becomes Roose Bolton’s and Fat Walda’s wedding, instead (IT WOULD BE WEIRDLY FITTING), and keeping Robb and Jeyne married, as in the books.

P.S. My favorite crack!theory from book 3 is that Robb survived, another poor schmo got the Grey Wind “accessory,” and Robb’s (barely) alive in The Twins’ dungeon. DO NOT LAUGH AT ME – IT COULD HAPPEN ! XD

169. ThePinkDragon
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Aoife:
    P.S.My favorite crack!theory from book 3 is that Robb survived, another poor schmo got the Grey Wind “accessory,” and Robb’s (barely) alive in The Twins’ dungeon.DO NOT LAUGH AT ME – IT COULD HAPPEN !XD

I wouldn’t even be remotely surprised about that, to be honest. It’ll happen right before we find out both Tyrion and Jon are super-special Targaryens and get their respective dragons, and they (along with dragon-warging Bran) help take over Westeros with Daenerys. And Arya does some cool shit that everyone loves, or something. Then they all become kings and queens and Daenerys has babies with undead Jon somehow and everyone lives happily ever after.

170. Sword-O-Da-Mornin'
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Tony Stark,

what he said

171. Joshua Taylor
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Question: What evidence does anyone have that the Tully’s are deemed unimportant in the books and therefore the series?

Everyone’s invited to speculate of course, but could it simply be that building a Riverrun set and casting Edmure, Bryden et al could not be fitted into season’s 2 budget and therefore characters like Ramsay will be featured in the two seasons that will be devoted to Storm of Swords? I wouldn’t call introducing the Tullys at the beginning of Season 3 shoehorning them in. The way people talk it seems like the course is already set.

172. Langkard
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:

Everyone’s invited to speculate of course, but could it simply be that building a Riverrun set and casting Edmure, Bryden et al could not be fitted into season’s 2 budgetand therefore characterslike Ramsay will be featured in the two seasons that will be devoted to Storm of Swords? I wouldn’t call introducing the Tullys at the beginning of Season 3 shoehorning them in. The way people talk it seems like the course is already set.

I’m hoping for this to be their reasoning; but I won’t be surprised if it turns out that the Tully’s did get the axe.

173. Lina
    Posted April 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Hilary,

I actually really like this idea, if we are to accept that the true Jeyne Westerling isn’t pregnant and in hiding, with a scheduled appearance set up for TWOW or ADOS. Nice thoughts; if they do this, it would be a very logical way to skip a bunch of secondary/tertiary characters and condense the storyline.

I really hope she’s just Jeyne Westerling with a more Essos appearance, which would be justified by book Jeyne’s Eastern heritage.

“Jeyne Lannister” would be a bit more dramatic, but not so much of a change. If this is the case I’m betting Robb doesn’t find out until after they’re married, or at least until well after he’s fallen for her.

Having her fill Jeyne Poole’s role is illogical. She’s too old to pass as Arya. All the Northern bannerman would know her as Queen Jeyne instead of Fake Arya. Even Roose Bolton would see the transparency of this plan. And let’s not forget, Roose Bolton is many bad things, but not stupid.

Jeyne Martell/Jeyne Sand just seems unnecessary. Also, that would ally the Dornish with the Starks, which I think would have drastically changed the war, no? I can’t really see her being a Sandsnake spy, because I don’t see any reason for Doran Martell to need inside info on Robb Stark’s strategies. They’re both essentially fighting the Lannisters, but while Robb is fighting a war, Doran is playing an intricate game of cyvasse for the long con and the ultimate win.

Jeyne Reed seems vaguely interesting as a way to introduce the Reeds, but it also seems pretty illogical. What would a Reed girl be doing outside of the Neck? Wouldn’t Howland Reed send help to his daughter/niece/cousin besieged in Riverrun?

I guess all of these theories COULD work if they drastically change the storyline, but I’m hoping they don’t change anything that much!

174. Q
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Wolf of Dorne,

Many Latina people are at least part Indigenous and do not identify as white…

1. [...] Oona joined the show in season two and from the beginning her role was shrouded in mystery. Initially announced as Jeyne, the name of her character was changed to Talisa. We wouldn’t find out until later that this name change was suggested by George R. R. Martin himself, after realizing that the show’s writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss had completely altered the character Jeyne Westerling from the books. Oona played along quite well, remaining coy about her role in an interview with WinterIsComing.net. [...]