Interviews, interviews, and more interviews!
By Winter Is Coming on in Press.

You want interviews? We got them! Just a heads up though, I haven’t vetted these, so some may contain spoilers. Watch/read at your own risk!

Joe Dempsie with Access Hollywood

Part 2 is here.

Kit Harington and Richard Madden with Omelete

Uncut Sophie Turner interview with Thronecast

Richard Madden was interviewed by HitFix, Vulture and Westeros.org.

Red Eye also interviewed Richard Madden, as well as Eugene Simon and Kit Harington.

TV Guide interviews Natalie Dormer. TV Guide also has a featured article entitled “Meet the Women of Westeros” with quotes from Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey and others. Here is a shortened web version, the full version can be found in TV Guide’s digital edition.

A hilarious Reddit AMA with Sam Mackay, the actor who played one of the ill-fated Lannister guards in last episode’s opening scene. Miltos Yerolemou also did a Reddit AMA a while back.

A really great interview with Bryan Cogman by Alyssa Rosenberg for Think Progress.

Mo Ryan’s full interview with Dan Weiss has been posted: part 1, part 2, and part 3.

George R. R. Martin did a web chat over at Empire Online.

David J. Peterson on Streamin’ Garage’s Stupid for Game of Thrones

Thrones cast talk about the Netherlands and Dutch cast-mate Carice van Houten

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau with HBO Bulgaria

Kit Harington with HBO Bulgaria

Michelle Fairley with HBO Bulgaria

Liam Cunningham with HBO Bulgaria

Winter Is Coming: Any that I missed? Post them in the comments and I will add them to the post.

1. unrobb
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Awesome! Sophie looks excited.

First.

2. Mike
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Richard says he’s really excited to read the third book . . . .

No wonder he still looks happy.

3. MockingTheFlayedLion
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Hilarious is really the appropriate word to use. That Sam guys is awesome. He should have a cameo in every season as a guy who get’s farted on.

4. Handmaiden of Dany
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

HEY, Where are the tweets from Sunday night??

5. Dee
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Richard is positively yummy! Joe Dempsie is so charming and funny. They both give wonderful interviews.

6. Udi
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Lol! Both Michelle Fairley AND Richard Madden haven’t read ASOS!
    Can’t wait for the interviews next season AFTER they have and are allowed to comment after THAT specific scene!

7. Jaime Lannister
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Robb is a book reader.

OUCH.

8. Mac
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

9. Pipe
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Don’t know if you’ve already said anything about this but a really good and pretty funny Thronecast with Liam Cunningham here.

10. Darren Mason
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Sophie is so beautiful

11. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Another interview was David Peterson (Dothraki creator) who was a guest on Stupid for Game of Thrones by StreaminGarage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqa5q_Avshk

He repeats what was said on the CNN special about him, that he will be creating the Valyrian language for Game of Thrones. It’s not 100% certain yet but it’s close to being official.

12. Felt Pelt
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Pipe,

13. Jackson
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Sophie is so stunning, and her interview was great. She has such a lovely personality.

14. Mormegil
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Felt Pelt: Pipe, Thanks for that. Does anyone know what Season 1 character Cunningham would have played?

Only a guess but Jorah seems the most likely.

15. Watson
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Mike,

Richard is already on record that he knows about the RW.

16. KG
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I can’t get the Joe Dempsie interview to play :(

17. Sultan Sa'ad
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I really hate it when people bring up the whole ( I hope GRRM doesn’t die before finishing Asoiaf ) discussion. I find it rude and a harsh thing to say. Someone who is working hard to give us an amazing product like Asoiaf, should be treated with more respect and appreciation. The guy who interviewed Kit and Richard shouldn’t have asked that question. It is even worse when you talk about it in an official interview where he might actually watch, unlike in some forum where GRRM might never see it. Some fans should really consider his feelings. I mean, i know i would be hurt if someone told me ” hey, i like your books. please be quick and finish the story. and then you can go die or whatever, we don’t really care about you “

18. Ingemar Svensson
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Felt Pelt:
    Pipe,

Someone at the Night’s Watch could be a possibility I guess, Yoren or Alliser Thorne perhaps.

19. Andrija
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Mac: Some hardcore flirting with Joe from Laura Saltman. But a great interview, he seems to be a pretty cool and humble guy.

Hahaha I know the first few seconds we have her baring her neck for Dempsie, a classic sign that says “take me, like now!” :)
    But I was really excited to see Richard and Sophie, they both seem like a couple of really cool people… On a side note Sophie looks almost like a woman now, I don’t think that Cersei’s line “have you bled” would work now quite so well…. XD

20. Xasprtr
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I gotta say, in a show packed with hot ladies, Sophie Turner is quickly aging into the hottest of all. She’s young yet, so maybe that makes me creepy, but there it is, deal with it.

With all that shallowness out of the way, she is also doing so much for the role of Sansa Stark. I didn’t much care for Book Sansa until she became Alayne. With Turner’s portrayal, you can see some quiet steel underneath, and I find her more appealing at this stage in the story.

I liked the discussion about how unnerving it must be to see Gleeson turn into Joffrey.

21. JamesL
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I wish Jack Gleeson would do some interviews.

22. House Farwynd
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Liam Cunningham as Alliser Thorne? Thank god that didn’t happen, a ridiculous notion. Nice avalanche of interviews btw.

23. Abyss
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

I posted them before, but since WiC asked for it here are four video interviews with the cast done by HBO Bulgaria. Haven’t watched them all yet, so there could be spoilers:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    Kit Harington
    Michelle Fairley
    Liam Cunningham

And here some cast members talk about Carice van Houten and other suff.

24. Mike Chair
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

How cute. Sophie says her best friend insults her every day. And Sophie loves it! Of course she does.

“The English love an insult. It’s their only test of a man’s sincerity.”
    — Benjamin Franklin (HBO’s John Adams)

25. The Kingslayer
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

It’s still a bit weird seeing Joe play Gendry, I still have that haunting scene of his from Skins stuck in my mind when he had the weird nude wrestle and his bits were flying about.

26. The Kingslayer
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

I love Nik’s views on the red light district lol.

BTW someone please tell Kit to stop shaving his beard, he looks weird without it.

Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Ingemar Svensson,
    Abyss,

Thanks! Added these to the post.

28. Shock Me
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Really going to enjoy this season a bit more having seen the actors out of character. Here’s hoping George has plans for Gendry.

29. The Kingslayer
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Great interview from Richard, he sounds like such a cool down to earth Scotsman. Bless their defense of sexposition.

30. Hi-Fi
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Michelle Fairley is so nice!

31. DavosFTW!
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

wow Nikolaj looks worn out in HBO Bulgaria interview. Long day.

32. val
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Sultan Sa’ad,

I know, it’s awful. That part was insanely rude and disrespectful. I can’t believe he asked one of the actors if he thought the author would die before finishing writing in an official interview. “He’s an old man”? Really?

With that said, I really liked the rest of it, although I really don’t believe Richard doesn’t know anything about the RW. I loved Sophie, she seems really cool, now when I watch the pleading scene I’m gonna picture Conleth Hill pulling faces behind the Iron Throne, so weird (LOL). And I loved Joe Dempsie for saying the obvious, that that relationship’s not happening any time soon. That flirty lady kept pushing it, though…:)

33. Superdeluxe
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

In a interview in the Baltimore Sun, he spoiled the 3rd book.

Jaime Lannister,

34. SillyMammo
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Almost didn’t recognize Sophie because she isn’t all red eyed and splotchy from crying. :0)

35. aimlessgun
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

The Dempsie interview is awkwardly hilarious. The interviewer just wouldn’t let the shipping thing go gracefully.

36. Claudiu Gherganu
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Yay, it’s pretty much confirmed by Kit that the fight with Qhorin will happen .

37. Isabelle
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for posting these!

Great points from both Richard and Kit in their interviews with Omelete about the use of sex in the show, specifically about it being a form of currency for the characters. I love what Kit says about the response it’s meant to provoke in the audience–”I think the sexual explicitness of the series is one of the things that’s quite strong about it. HBO can do what it wants really, and it does. We were criticized in some ways in the first season about certain sex scenes and I think the writers went “You know what? This is a big part of it for us so we gonna go further.” And if it’s uncomfortable to watch, it should be, because it’s set in a brothel, and it should ask questions of you of how you feel about seeing these things. Drama has to test people, and if it’s not comfortable to watch, sometimes that’s a good thing in the long run.” (Richard’s response starts at the 5-minute mark into the video, Kit’s at 6:05) Drama has to test people indeed–makes watching something like Game of Thrones much less of a one-sided experience, doesn’t it?

38. Turncloak
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Really excited about Theons arc this season. I hope Cat doesn’t take Littlefinger’s advice to release the kingslayer unless a certain event happens first.

39. Josh
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

val:
    Sultan Sa’ad,

Richard KNOWS about the RW. He’s stated so in many interviews. He knows he doesn’t live past book 3 haha. And I’m sure you Michelle knows the same…Though she’s a bit more complicated.

40. JamesL
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

It’s funny how the Bulgarian interviewer lady only asks the good looking guys, Kit and Nikolaj, for their autographs.

41. Isabelle
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

Aww, Liam’s perfectly good looking as well–in a rugged, onion-knightish sort of way. I’m sure she asked him for his autograph two seconds after filming ceased : )

42. Abyss
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I think those video interviews from HBO Asia weren’t posted an the site. I could be wrong though, because there a little old. I will link them just in case. I haven’t watched them all, so here is the spoiler warning again:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    Kit Harington
    Emilia Clarke
    Michelle Fairley
    Charles Dance

43. Russian FAN
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

bring back my favourite character – Lord Eddard Stark !

44. Argliac the Arrogant
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Russian FAN:
    bring back my favourite character – Lord Eddard Stark !

What are you talking about? They brought him back in the lastest episode! He was in the box Littlefinger gave to Catelyn.

Hehe.

45. foxtrot uniform
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Please remove the HBO Bulgaria interviews, they’re embarassing.

Or keep them just so we can laugh at how pathetic the Bulgarian interviewer is.

46. DH87
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

aimlessgun: The interviewer just wouldn’t let the shipping thing go gracefully.

Yes, “shipping” is such a cutting edge concept in 2012. Nevermind: I believe the primary requirement for these kinds of paid flacks masquerading as “reporters” is the ability to look good in Spanx.

47. Nagga's Kin
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

My, my, Sophie Turner’s growing up fast. Pretty soon even the best hair and makeup in the world will no longer make us believe Sansa is still a prepubescent girl. I wonder how they’re going to deal with that in season 3.

48. Arthur
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

foxtrot uniform,

Yeah seriously.

That Bulgaria interviewer was really terrible.

But the cast handled it well and made the best of it.

49. sunspear
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Nagga’s Kin:

They don’t have to by Season 3.

50. MoonCoffee
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Wow, I never knew English in Bulgarian-accent English sounds a lot like English in Thai-accent.

51. ScottsdaleSam
    Posted April 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Michelle definitely knows about what happens in season 3. One of the interviews posted on this site last year before the series started was of Michelle spoiling the third book! Actually, she was a little overly spoilery in a couple of interviews last year. Seems to be much better at avoiding the spoilers this year. :)

52. foxtrot uniform
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 6:30 am | Permalink

MoonCoffee:

I’m Bulgarian, and this wasn’t even English in Bulgarian accent. It was English in I-don’t-even-know-what-those-words-mean accent.

53. Rimshot
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 8:12 am | Permalink

JamesL: I wish Jack Gleeson would do some interviews.

He did one on RTE Juice a while back. Talked a bit about GOT but was mostly there to plug his puppet show.

54. userj
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Felt Pelt:
    Pipe,

Has to be Jorah, only role that’s of a similar size that I think he’d be appropriate age-wise for IMO. I think he’d have made an excellent Jorah, certainly looks more similar to the book version than smoking hot Iain Glen. Still I love Iain as Jorah a lot so I’m happy this is how it turned out. ;)

55. Mimsy
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Joe Dempsie… *sigh*

56. Ice
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I’m not a twitter tween, but I can guess that “shipping” comes from “relationship” so that when they say that they want to “ship” Gendry and Arya together, they want them to have a relationship. Dempsie was so close to it. That seems like the most obvious meaning.

Madden is so awesome and so good-natured! Seems like a blast to hang out with. I’d love to be there when he reads the third book. Harrington seems very introspective and emo. Maybe its the hair and his perpetual pout.

57. Dreamlife
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

It’s nice to finally see a proper interview with Sophie Turner. I know Sansa is not much liked, but I think Sophie is doing such a great job portraying her and making her sympathetic.

Also, the Eugene Simon interview was cool. Lancel is not a character I think about much while reading the books and watching the series, but now I am started to think ahead to where his character goes in future seasons and am interested in seeing it play out. Also, no idea that he was in House of Anubis. I know it is a Nick show, but I may check it out just to see some more material from the actor.

It’s funny how many GoT actors I keep spotting in other works. I spotted Mark Addy and Harry Lloyd in Great Expectations, Tamzin Merchant (former Dany actress) in The Mystery of Edwin Drood, and I just found out that Richard Madden will appear in Birdsong. Very cool.

I never cease to enjoy interviews with NCW and really look forward to Jaime getting out of that cage this season.

58. Tyrion4Lyfe
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Mike:
    Richard says he’s really excited to read the third book . . . .

No wonder he still looks happy.

I though the EXACT same thing…LOL!

59. Jordan Healey
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

I thought Joe Dempsie’s interview was quite good, particularly his answers.

60. DB
    Posted April 26, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Love Sophie Turner so much, really happy she was interviewed.

Posted April 26, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

foxtrot uniform:
    Please remove the HBO Bulgaria interviews, they’re embarassing.

Or keep them just so we can laugh at how pathetic the Bulgarian interviewer is.

No way, the interviewer’s English is hilarious!. I like it.

Posted April 26, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

She actually asks them what is their favorite season! XD

Posted April 26, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

Okay, the Kit one was pretty bad! She asked him “Do you like snow?”, “Did you like playing with swords as a child?”, and “Do you like yourself with a crown?”. Poor guy, lol!

64. LordDavos12
    Posted April 27, 2012 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Xasprtr:
    I gotta say, in a show packed with hot ladies, Sophie Turner is quickly aging into the hottest of all.She’s young yet, so maybe that makes me creepy, but there it is, deal with it.

With all that shallowness out of the way, she is also doing so much for the role of Sansa Stark.I didn’t much care for Book Sansa until she became Alayne.With Turner’s portrayal, you can see some quiet steel underneath, and I find her more appealing at this stage in the story.

Man, I’m with you. I feel bad thinking how attractive she is. She’s going to be a stone cold fox in a few years.

65. Bemma
    Posted April 27, 2012 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Favorite interview questions:

“In the show, winter is coming. What is your favorite season in real life?”
    “So, you do a lot of waiting on set. Where do you wait? In a seat? In a caravan?”

66. Ser Lurkalot
    Posted April 27, 2012 at 3:59 am | Permalink

I love Michelle Fairley! It is very clear by what she says here that she is playing the Cat that D&D has in mind perfectly: This Cat is all about getting her family back together. There is not much else to her really. It is too bad that the writers decided to change the multilayered character we have in the books into the more sterotypical and simple character we see on screen. But Fairley does a superb job with what she is given.